For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

Week 34: My Pregnancy Journey.

The melons are back!  Is it just me or are these fruit and veggie comparisons all over the place?  Some weeks they are based on length, sometimes on weight, and some on size.  This week, I believe we are back to weight – 5.5 pounds to be exact.  Otherwise known as a honeydew!

At my midwife appointment last week, I shared my fear that I have a giant oversized baby because my stomach seems to be much bigger than the other girls in my group (all due within a week or two of each other).  The midwife did a lot of belly feeling and said that she could estimate that (as of last Wednesday) he weighed between 5 and 5.5 pounds – right on track.  My belly however, is still measuring a week ahead.

How I’m Feeling

The main issue right now is SLEEP.  I am well aware that sleep will be at a premium once he makes his arrival, so I’d really like to avoid starting off mommy-hood as a sleep deprived zombie.

The problem is that I’m having major pregnancy-induced congestion and sinus trouble.  Pleasant, I know.  I’m sorry.  Because of this, when I sleep I end up having to sleep with my mouth hanging wide open.  It is insanely attractive, I assure you.  Since I can only breathe through my mouth, after about 30 minutes of sleep, I wake up completely dehydrated and scrambling for the trusty water bottle I keep on my bedside table.  I then chug said water bottle and go back to sleep.  Thirty minutes later I wake up now needing to pee.

See the cycle?  Can’t breathe.  Mouth open.  Throat as dry as the desert.  Chug water.  Head to bathroom.  Go back to sleep.  Can’t breathe…

It goes on all.night.long.  Eventually by around 4:30 or so I think I get so exhausted that I just pass out and allow myself to sleep through the dehydration.  So needless to say, sleep is minimal and very interrupted.  Beyond that, there are a few other symptoms that have me feeling like this third trimester is very reminiscent of the first one!

But honestly, at this point if lack of sleep is my biggest complaint, I think I’m pretty lucky.  Other than feeling tired, I still feel great otherwise!

Getting Ready for Baby

Last week I went on a technology registering spree.  I had written a Babble post asking other moms and pregnant women about the most creative baby gifts they have received.  Someone replied back that they had been given their baby’s domain name and email address as a gift and I immediately thought it was so clever and creative.

Now being the nerd that I am, I was already all over the domain.  We purchased that long ago when we first decided on name.  When he is grown and famous, he will thank me for preserving his spot in cyberspace.  (I am kidding.)

I’m not sure what I’ll actually do with the domain name yet.  Most likely start a photo and update site just for friends and family, to keep people posted from far away.  But beyond the URL, I took it a step further.

I registered his Gmail address…  And his Twitter handle…  And yes, you can believe that my husband laughed at me and told me that email and Twitter will not exist by the time Baby C is old enough to use any of it.  But I’m a nerd, and I thought it was fun, and I don’t care.  :)

I mentioned it on Twitter, and was then sent about 10 links to this Google video…

Which I watched while sobbing hysterically and blubbering on and on to Casey about how “we are really going to have a baaaaaaaaaaaaaby.”

My favorite part is, “You wanted to name him Salt.”  :)

Pregnancy has made me a total whacko.

Beyond his virtual profile, I haven’t bought anything new since we checked off all our big items a few weeks ago.  I have, however, been browsing newborn Halloween costumes, assuming he arrives in time (and he better).  Seriously, check out how cute some of these are!

I’ve had a lot of you ask how Casey is feeling about all this baby stuff, and how he’s doing getting ready to be a new dad!  Other than totally hating me for making him pose with a random melon, I think he’s very excited.

He was even more excited this weekend when instead of asking him to assemble our baby swing, I decided I was perfectly capable of doing it myself.  One hour and 400 pieces later, it is assembled and will hopefully not collapse and kill my first born.

More nursery progress bit by bit, and I should have a final update to share with you guys in the next week or two!  Crossing my fingers for a few finishing touches to arrive.

I spent some time in the nursery this weekend organizing drawers, moving things around, and just generally trying to get things in order.  The cloth diaper drawer is ready to go.  Now I just need to figure out how to use them…

And until we are ready for that, there will be disposables as we adjust to life with a teeny tiny newborn.  Pretty sure I will need a LOT more than this.

As I was organizing diaper drawers, I asked Casey if he had actually ever changed a diaper.  Since he didn’t think he had, we did some practicing.

I think we’re in good shape!

Odds and Ends

• Total weight gained:  23 pounds
  • Gestational age today: 34 weeks and 5 days
  • Miles walked per week:  15 (average)
  • Episodes of House Hunters watched:  infinite
  • Baby sheets or clothing washed:  zero
  • Friends on baby-watch:  2 – Sabrina and Brittany!
  • Days until due date:  37

For previous weekly updates or other pregnancy-related posts, check out my pregnancy page

Amy Kaye     at 9:15 am

If you want a great, simply baby Halloween costume, my boyfriend’s parents dressed him up like a monk for his first Halloween. All you need is a brown robe and a rope for the belt- then you’re good to go since babies are bald! :)

Shayla @ The Good Life     at 9:30 am

Omg I’m a blubbering baby watching that video…and I’m not even pregnant, ha! So cute, I absolutely love it :) And you look so gorgeous and glowing as always…

I have to admit I’m going to be sad when these pregnancy posts are over, I look forward to them every week and I’ve loved them so much! But then again, we’ll all have a baby to swoon over ;)

Amber K     at 10:14 am

I hope you can get some rest! Because there won’t be too much sleeping soon :)

Kait @ One Love Run     at 10:48 am

You look so great!

Are you doing centering? (The group prenatal care?) It may be called something else for you, but I am a co-facilitator for a group with one of my midwives at my hospital and I love it! My group is only about 20+ weeks along, but I am so excited for January when they all start to deliver and hopefully I will get to be the nurse for some of them! I think group pre-natal care is so great, we get to pass on so much information and education to the patients. 2 hours covers much more than a quick 20 minute appointment! Glad to hear you are doing that!

Anne Weber-Falk     at 10:57 am

I’m glad to hear and see you are doing well throughout your pregnancy. It’s wonderful that you will have all of this to look back at and show Baby C someday. I am 47 years old and have three children ages 20, 16, and 10. You never forget any of it. Sometimes it all feels so far away and other times it seems like just yesterday. Oh, and I always tear up when I see that Sophie video too. Enjoy all of this. It gets better and better.

Lee     at 11:35 am

You look great!

A melon seems more comfortable than a pineapple, but I guess it’s really not. I just kept imagining those spiky pineapple leaves in your last post and thinking that it sounded painful!

Alaina     at 11:44 am

You are absolutely glowing and are gorgeous!!! He’s almost here! :-)

Kristin @ STUFT Mama     at 11:45 am

What a cute video. :) You look great. The big day will be here before you know it. I hear you on the sleep issues. Not a fun thing the last month of pregnancy. :( Sorry you’re dealing with those. That sleep sheep is going to be a life saver! :)

Diana @ frontyardfoodie     at 12:56 pm

A week ahead!? Wowsers. You do look great for sure though. It’s getting close!

Cloth diapers are so easy but like you, I used the disposables we got at my showers for a little bit to get acclimated to actually changing diapers. Totally helped!

Ellen     at 3:39 pm

So exciting! I was looking at this today and thought of you. I wasn’t sure it this is something you’d be interested in.

Jessica @ Fit Chick Wannabe     at 5:11 pm

O.m.g. that video made me cry.

Kristen @ The Concrete Runner     at 6:29 pm

You are entirely too cute! Looks like you’ve been reading up on your Young House Love too with the cloth diapers! We are getting the exact same ones for our little girl! Can’t wait to see the rest of your nursery!

mi-an d.     at 11:43 am

i was on a vacay in orlando with the fam bam this past week for my nephew’s 1st bday!! so fun (but also missed reading your blog!) so great to hear you are doing well! and your belly is so smooth and no stretch marks! :) are you rubbing it with anything?

Heather     at 11:00 pm

Oh my gosh, that diapered lamb chop is so cute! And so is the Dear Sophie video! Glad to hear you guys are doing well and are all organized and on top of even the littlest, coolest things! Enjoy this!

R*     at 11:11 pm

I love that commercial so much, I almost cried too and I’m not pregnant. No excuse for my whacko-ness besides the awesome background piano! Salt was definitely my favorite, but face plant came a close second.

R*     at 11:12 pm

and +1 for your practice subject being adorbs!

SeekingAmy     at 8:21 am

That video game me CHILLS! love it! Also giggled a bit with the diaper practice! I can’t wait until Baby C arrives! :)

Carolyn     at 10:26 am

Hey Emily! I followed your blog for sometime now, just never left you any comment! I loved that video you posted! I’ve been showing all the new mommies around me so they can start one too. Good luck with everything :)! I love your blog :)!

Rachel @ My Naturally Frugal Family     at 10:54 am

I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents on the diapering issue. I have been using G-diaper and Seventh Generation disposable for 4 years (but with 2 kids). I LOVE Seventh Generation they don’t have that “powdery” smell you get with Huggies, Luvs, or Pampers. I have never had any trouble with leakage or falling apart (they aren’t as flimsy as they feel:)!
The G-diaper was a learning curve. Figuring out the inserts and stuff caused me a little heartburn, BUT once I figured it out I thought they were fantastic and I felt so good about using them.
You look set and gorgeous. I am amazed at how big your belly is :)

Renee B     at 4:14 pm

It’s so exciting to see your progress over this entire pregnancy!

Iseka Mayara     at 5:18 am

Hi Emily, I think your problem of sleep is not new like others to be Mom. But I know many who have same problem before they begin to practice Yoga to eradicate the issue and for their surprise it helped them. Now they compliment Yoga for their well health, safe pregnancy and healthy baby.

running shoes