Week 35: My Pregnancy Journey.

This week, what used to be just a wee little grape is now as heavy as this giant bag of carrots.

The baby is approximately SIX pounds this week which, judging from how hard it is for me to roll over in bed or stand up off the couch, feels just about right.

According to my updates, the baby is basically done growing in length at this point.  Now he’s just hanging out and fattening up until he’s ready to come out!

How I’m Feeling

Feeling GREAT!  Not sure why but I seem to have gotten some of my energy back in the last week or two.  A month ago I found myself struggling to walk around our favorite 3-mile lake, and would often have to take a break on a bench or stop for a bit.  These days I feel like I could easily walk two laps because I’ve been feeling so strong by the end of our walks.

It is funny that a three mile walk is the benchmark of my fitness these days, but that’s just the reality of having a huge bowling ball strapped to your midsection.  Up until recently I have felt great about my walks and what I’ve been able to do at this stage of pregnancy.  And while I’m certainly still feeling great, I’m also finally really feeling the itch to RUN again.  I’m tired of walking all the time, and am looking forward to getting back into my running shoes as soon as that’s a realistic option.

How I’m Changing

Lots of people tell me I have that “basketball belly” look when I am out grocery shopping or at the gym.  Casey commented the other day, “your stomach is MUCH bigger than a basketball.”  :)  I think of it as more like a beach ball these days!

My stomach is ginormous, I have the dark line going all up and down it, I have dark spots on my cheeks (another preggo side effect), and my legs are looking particularly dimply.  The fun part is that I actually don’t care about any of it.  Other than the fact that I want to burn every piece of maternity clothing I own, I’m feeling really good and really ready.

The other thing I’m feeling?  Scared.  I have to be honest here.  I have gotten to this point of pregnancy where I’m suddenly thinking things like “holy crap I’m seriously having a baby.”  You would think that it wouldn’t take 9 months to realize this, but I have read that a resurgence of anxiety is normal towards the very end.

I have read enough books and done enough research that I’m no longer worried about childbirth or labor anymore – I feel totally ready (or as ready as I can be) for the process.  It’s more what happens afterwards…

I’m going to have a baby.  And then I have to take him home.  And no one is going to tell me what to do next.  I guess my worries these days are not so much about having a baby as they are about being a parent.  Some day this baby is going to be five years old.  I can’t even wrap my head around that right now.

I’m doing my best to soak up these last few weeks, and feeling a bit emotional that this part of the journey is coming to an end.  Despite the sickness and the aches, and all the other strange things that accompany pregnancy, I have really really loved being pregnant.  And as excited as I am to meet our newest family member I’m also feeling a bit of sadness.  I love my life exactly the way it is right now.  I love my husband, and my family, and what we have built here together.  I’m scared of all of that changing.

I know all the changes will be for the better, and I know there will be good days and bad days.  As the end draws closer and closer, I’m becoming very aware that our world is going to change in incredible ways.  I have watched this video a few times this week, and weeped my way through each time…

My favorites are “it’s okay to be scared” and “you are the expert.”  And while I am scared, I’m also just really really ready to stop the wondering and what if’s, and put all this energy into giving our little guy the best life that we can.

Getting Ready for Baby

I have been washing clothes and picking up a few more things for our hospital bag, just trying to feel prepared and check things slowly off our lists.  At this point I feel like we have pretty much everything we need, at least for the first few weeks.  Now that the essentials are out of the way, I’m having fun looking online for things like tiny baby corduroy overalls and newborn Halloween costumes.

I got a call today that the glider we ordered back in early July has finally arrived and is ready to be picked up!  I can’t wait to go get it this weekend, and I’ll finally be able to show you guys the completed nursery once we get it in place.

We have our 35-week group prenatal checkup today!  Excited to see how things are progressing, and hear that heartbeat thump away.

Odds and Ends

• Total weight gain:  25 pounds
  • Gestational age today:  35 weeks and 4 days
  • Baby clothes washed:  everything up to 3 months!
  • Gliders waiting to be picked up from BabiesRUs:  ONE!
  • Days until due date:  31

For previous weekly updates or other pregnancy-related posts, check out my pregnancy page!

Recent Babble posts:

Leanne @ The Skinny Architect     at 6:11 pm

Oh my goodness, you look fantastic! Can’t wait to see pictures of the new little one in a few weeks. Good luck in the home stretch!

Marci     at 6:21 pm

You do look great! And you aren’t on your own when you take the baby home, there’s always someone to help or listen or come over. You don’t have to do the beginning on your own! Reminds me of getting married, you feel happy before but then after you can’t remember being single anymore.

lauren     at 6:22 pm

you look GORGEOUS! Prayers for your last few weeks! :)

Sheri     at 6:32 pm

I absolutely love your pregnancy updates and look forward to them every week! I find them so fascinating and I think you will love going back and reading them. What a great journal to have. You’ll have to do something similar when the baby arrives. Good luck! You will be fantastic parents!

Carolyn @ one lazy bride     at 6:33 pm

You look great! And while I’m not a mother nor a mother-to-be, I think your anxiety is totally justified. Anytime I see a soon-due pregnant person I am just so full of awe that they aren’t complete nervous wrecks 24/7. I’m sure you’ll be an awesome Mom, though – it’s obvious from your pregnancy posts that you and Casey already love this baby SO much, and that’s the most important part! :)

Kim @ vegan mama-to-be     at 6:33 pm

You are so close! And you look amazing :) Best wishes for your last weeks & delivery!

Kathi     at 6:35 pm

You look amazing! The love and closeness you and your husband have now will be magnified in so many ways once Baby C arrives, you won’t even believe it! And it begins the moment you have him. It is hard to describe. Enjoy these last few weeks, but really, the best is yet to come!!

Gina     at 6:37 pm

I know it has been said, but I’ll say it again: you are gorgeous! We’ll all be thinking of you in these last few weeks, and you and your husband will be wonderful parents. Can’t wait to hear more about your exciting, new journey. :)

Jamie @ FoodinRealLife     at 6:37 pm

You are totally glowing!
It honestly feels like just the other day you were just beginning to have a baby bump. Wow how time flies!

I’m currently in the market for a glider. Which one did you get?

Kate     at 6:41 pm

Look at you- so radiant! Love the fall vibe in this post with all the orange. I can’t believe my onion is going to be CARROTS one day!!

Good luck for the next few weeks :)

Kristin @ eat healthy. be happy. live well.     at 6:41 pm

You look so awesome! Thanks for being so honest about how you’re feeling. I’ve always told people (especially the young college ones I work with…) who say they want to have a baby that they won’t just be having a baby, they’ll have an 18 year old one day! I think it’s totally normal to be nervous about being a parent since it is brand new job/role/adventure. You’re going to be such an incredible mom!

Kim @ vegan mama-to-be     at 6:43 pm

Also, I think I have that same maternity shirt and I’m realizing it looks way better with a bigger belly. Maybe I should stash it away for the 3rd trimester!

Katie KS     at 6:46 pm

Has the baby dropped? That could be why the walks are easier … As for a mommy, you’ll be great. You’ve got a lot of people to offer advice, wanted or unwanted … :) I read your posts and remember back a few weeks and think of where I am now. And I’m in awe of how different it is with this one. He’s a champion eater (up to 9 lbs 4.5 oz – I have WAAAAY too many newborn diapers!), a not-so-great sleeper and a paci fiend. My daughter was the opposite on all accounts! I’ve made it through engorgement and out the other side. And as you saw earlier, I can button my jeans – I’m down at least 25 lbs out of 31. So glad to have my ankles back. I hope you have a great last few weeks and, hey, if you want it, I’ll wish my on my due date 2-hour water breaking/contractions starting/baby delivering window on you :) I’m a much bigger fan of this delivery than my 8-days-late induction.

Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups     at 6:47 pm

You’re almost there!! You’re still looking great! Can’t wait to see the completed nursery.

christina cadden     at 6:55 pm

You look beautiful!!!

Ashley     at 6:58 pm

I was itching to run again after my first, and ended up with a stress fracture that kept me out of running for almost 3 months. I couldn’t find any thing to confirm this, but I personally felt that breast feeding while begining to run again is what caused me to have the injury since all of the calcium and other nutrients my bones needed were busy going to feed my newborn. I know you want to get out and run, but please be careful and ease into it, if you start increasing mileage too quickly, you could end up injured.

Sarah @ w30     at 6:58 pm

Oh sweetie – beautiful post! Isn’t it funny how we always assumed we’d have things figured out by now (now being anything – being a parent, being a professional, being an “adult”). I guess the truth is everyone is just … figuring it out as they go … including our parents and our friends and the people we look up to who seem to have it all together. I don’t know what you are going through exactly – I have never been there – but I love that you are honest about it and giving yourself the freedom to be scared and emotional and happy and everything that you are feeling right now. *HUGS*

sarah     at 7:01 pm

Another whole MONTH? Dear Gods. I’d hug you, but my arms wouldn’t fit. Hee hee! Keep up the good work, Em!

Trainer Kjirsten @ Balanced Healthy Life     at 7:06 pm

I can’t believe your already 35 weeks and only have 31 days to go!!! Where does time go? I remember reading your first trimester pregnancy journals and it seems like I was just reading them not too long ago!!!

You’ll be running soon enough!

Chase     at 7:15 pm

Getting so close! My nephew was 3 weeks early and about 6 and a half lbs. Baby C’s arrival is drawing nigh! And I cried through the video too. :)

mi-an d.     at 7:18 pm

wow! i want to look just like you when i get preggo! and based on your weight gain, that’s right on track! :)

sally mae     at 7:19 pm

I’ve grown so used to your pregnancy updates that I’m going to miss them when they are gone…how will I get through my last 6 weeks without them!?;) Enjoy this last month…I know what you mean about your life being so good “right now.” It’s hard to imagine it’s going to get any better but it is!!!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen     at 7:22 pm

You’re so close! You still continue to look great. I’m so excited for you guys. Your reflections about being scared about the “after” part make complete sense. We don’t have any kids and honestly, the biggest thing keeping me from it is just what you described. I’m scared to death to change what we have. I like my life as is and a baby would just completely change it all!

Ashley     at 7:26 pm

Ahh!! You’re getting so close! I’m not a parent, but my twin sister is, which is as close as you can get to a child without actually being their mother, haha! Anyway, she had those same scared feelings going into the last few weeks of her pregnancy. She said that you just learn as you go, and your motherly instincts just kick in. Don’t worry. I’m sure you’ll be a wonderful mother.

CAROL     at 7:34 pm

You look great!! You are bringing back so many awesome memories when I was pregnant…excitement, anxiousness, etc., etc. Enjoy!

Candy @ Healthy In Candy Land     at 7:58 pm

I loved that video, and it made me cry too. I especially love “you are about to know true love”. This was the most surprising thing for me when I first became a mom. I thought I knew what love was, but when my son was born, there was nothing else even close. It was instantaneous, and it was deeper than anything I ever felt before. I am so excited for you to get to experience that soon! You look incredible! Enjoy these last few weeks. Those that follow will be even better.

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie     at 8:06 pm

Thank you for sharing that video! I’m nowhere close to being pregnant yet but I love stuff like that! When yahoo answers first came out in like 2002 I asked what advice people wish they could go back and tell their 13-year-old selves (I was 13, and a huge dork obviously). It was so awesome to read but even more special to look back at years later!

Lee     at 8:20 pm

I like the “nobody knows what they’re doing” (or something to that effect) and the “millions of parents survived sleep deprivation”. I’m not a parent, but I think it’s 100% normal to be nervous and that it’s okay to be a little sad that your life is not going to be the same.

Sana     at 8:23 pm

I love that top on you! great fall color!

lindsay     at 9:02 pm

you look fabulous Emily! I’ve so enjoyed reading your blog pregnancy updates and hearing all about your journey towards motherhood. I love your writing style and you keep things interesting and cute. (Even for non mothers like me! Unless you could my fur babies ;)
Can’t wait to hear about the little guy once he is welcomed into the world.

Joanna@DrizzleofSunshine     at 10:09 pm

I look forward to these belly updates every week! Crazy how fast it all went! You look great!

Shaya (Eye Girl Eats)     at 10:23 pm

Awww :) your pregnant belly makes me smile! You are completely glowing and beautiful!!

Glad you feel prepped for the next part of the journey. You will get the hang of the parenting– everybody does!

Sara     at 10:44 pm

In my maternity class in nursing school we learned that women often get a sudden burst of energy the last week or two before birth, so looks like it could be soon for you! You look great!

sarah (the SHU box)     at 3:20 am

i can’t believe it’s so soon!!! you look amazing and i know you are going to do a wonderful job as a parent :) i’m sure i will be anxious too – but that just means you care!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun     at 3:58 am

every bit of that is SO true!!!!! And I have no doubt you will make an excellent mom. :)

Susan @ Real Life Travels     at 4:32 am

Ah you are so close to having your little one! I can’t believe it! You look fantastic and I wish nothing but the best for you and your new family!

Sarah     at 5:14 am

I’ve seen that video before and watched it again today. Today, I thought, “oh, I’m not going to cry.” But I did. And laughed. Thanks for posting it!

Sara@BakingandWine     at 5:20 am

My advice for after the baby gets here is that google is your friend! Haha.

These last 3 weeks my husband and I have been google fiends.

Lindsay @ Schnoodle Soup     at 5:46 am

All of your feelings are completely normal. I have yet to be a parent, but am a believer that it’s instinctual. Plus, you research and plan everything – there’s no way you’re going to suck at this. I can’t wait to meet Baby C, but will miss these updates!

Oh, and, please…I have dimply legs and I’m not even pregnant!

Lori     at 6:09 am

Thanks for sharing the video. It really got to me as my youngest who is 23 is getting married Saturday. It’s been an emotional week. I am at the end of my journey as a parent. So hard to believe, it goes so fast!
You look so beautiful and glowing. I’m sure once he gets here you will know exactly what to do with him. I have enjoyed seeing your baby updates as it has brought back many happy memories.

Dorsa     at 6:59 am

You look amazing :)

I can’t wait to be a parent :) And I know you will do an awesome job!

I’m not even pregnant and I got emotion/goosebumps reading this post :)

eliz@thesweetlife     at 7:01 am

Each of my friends has experienced a similar season of mourning–or maybe transition is a better word–as you move from one season of life to another. I think it’s great that you’re being honest with yourself about your feelings–being kind and gentle with yourself is a gift!–and know that you’re going to be a great mom.

R @ Learning As I Chop     at 7:04 am

You are giving me hope. At 24 weeks, I am feeling exhausted today and thought it was the beginning of the end. Maybe not! And it’s ok to be scared. I’m scared too. What do we do with them when they’re not eating or sleeping?

Gwen     at 7:06 am

Emily, following your pregnancy journey gives me so much inspiration to have a really happy and healthy pregnancy myself in a couple of years. I’m so excited for you!

Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life     at 7:07 am

You are anabsolutely stunning pregnant mama!!!

Mahealani @ Pu`uhonua     at 7:13 am

You look wonderful!!! Can you believe just 1 more month???

Kerry     at 7:19 am

Gwen, I couldn’t have said it better!!
“Emily, following your pregnancy journey gives me so much inspiration to have a really happy and healthy pregnancy myself in a couple of years.”

Definitely MUCH bigger than a basketball!

anne     at 7:22 am

ou look great and your butt looks small still! that would be an amazing accomplishment if that happened for me :)

Kate     at 7:27 am

Maternal instincts are a great thing, they will kick right in and all will be well.

Rachel @ My Naturally Frugal Family     at 7:39 am

Whatever you do don’t burn the maternity clothes, no matter how much you are sick of them by now. You would have to buy them all over again if you decide to have a Baby Garnish #2 (not time to talk about that I know you have to get through Baby C first).
I have to say the scariest part, no matter how many times I did it (3 total), was taking the baby from the hospital and into the car for the first ride home. The first time I did I had thoughts of running back into the hospital and asking to stay just one more day.
However once you get home some of the anxiety eases up. You figure out what to do because no matter how many books your read or websites you search your maternal instincts will carry you through.
You and Casey will be wonderful parents because you are wonderful kind and caring people. I am so glad that I read your blog and that I can share in this journey (even though it is just vicariously).

Annalisa     at 7:40 am

Wow, I can’t believe you’re almost done!! I remember when I was 34/36 weeks being freaked out by childbirth. Like, holy cow, this baby needs to come out somehow…! I had my baby girl at 38.5 weeks and for a first time mom, it went way fast and was much easier than I thought. I sort of think keeping active (and being slightly athletic) made my body prepared for the intensity. The human body is amazing and it will tell you what to do — which blew my mind. I feel like having my baby was the best and coolest thing I have done yet — and you will feel that way too!

colleen     at 7:56 am

Still looking beautiful. Only a few more weeks left until you get to hold your precious little boy in your arms – it is an amazing thing. Forget the worries.

Patty M.     at 8:06 am

Have you done the post on the product overhaul of your house/personal care yet? I have started converting everything in our home, and would love suggestions on natural products. Congratulations on your little one!

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme)     at 8:09 am

You look great! On a side note, does Casey get paternity leave at his new office?

Julie (A Case of the Runs)     at 8:41 am

It’s getting close! I think just like reading up on birth, you’ll try to have a plan, and then you’ll probably just wing it — that, and parenting. You don’t need to be a perfect parent… you’ll probably find that the baby will fit right into your life, and you’ll be a terrific family!

Jen     at 8:44 am

You’re my pregnancy idol! You always look so amazing. Love that color on you :)

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More     at 8:58 am

You are glowing – absolutely beautiful!
Enjoy your last few weeks of pregnancy. :)

Leanne (Bride to Mrs.)     at 9:04 am

You look amazing! I think it is completely natural to feel a little nervous to parent, when it’s so new to you.

I have no doubt in my mind that you and Casey will be excellent parents :)

Erin     at 9:25 am

You are so close to the finish line! I remember having energy up until about the week before I delivered and at that point I was just DONE! Ready to be done being pregnant and pack the maternity clothes away.

As I’m sure everyone has told you, your little one is going to change your world. My little guy will be one in October and there are still moments almost every day where I am like “Wow I’m a mom!” or “This is my son -crazy!” It still amazes me.

Enjoy your last month or so and get in lots of time with your hubby!

Kristen @ The Concrete Runner     at 9:30 am

You look great! And you definitely gained all those 25 pounds in your belly. I have to admit, it is rather large, but isn’t it just so much fun?! I have been having those exact same worries lately. I can’t even imagine what you are going through being across the country from your family. I wish you the best of luck in these coming weeks! It’s definitely starting to get real!

Shayla @ The Good Life     at 9:38 am

You look absolutely wonderful and I have loved following here in this journey from the very beginning :) And I think the basketball comments more means that you’re all belly and still tiny everywhere else, you look great!

And I even have those fears you were describing and I’m not even pregnant (yet!). It’s kinda crazy when you think about the fact that you take home this brand new human being you just made and everything is left in your hands once you leave the hospital…I know though you two will do a fabulous job and will be the most amazing parents :)

Kim @ girlevolving     at 9:43 am

As a new mom, too (one month tomorrow!), I can tell you that when you get home with your little guy, it won’t matter whether you’re an expert or not. You’ll just be in love and figuring out what works for him, since all babies are different. You’re going to be amazing!!

mumay     at 9:48 am

You look great. I am a grandma of four. I can’t believe how many people have posted comments on here! I was actually browsing for sites on gain coupons . I don’t know how I got here, but I am glad I did. Cheers and good luck.

Kelly     at 9:48 am

I hear ya about wanting to burn your maternity clothes! I can’t wait to wear normal clothes again!!

Amber K     at 10:16 am

The anxiety is definitely very common, I’m not even pregnant yet and I feel it. You will definitely be a good mom – even caring about how you will be shows you’re thinking about it! Love these updates!

Jessica     at 10:43 am

Luckily, they are not 5 years old instantly, you have a lot of time to grow into being a parent. And, especially in the beginning, you see part of almost every hour of every day with your baby, so you have lots of time to get to know him, and become his mom. That said, the hours and days might feel long, but the weeks and months and years FLY by.

That video was very moving, thanks so much for sharing. I would add to it, you are the best mom for your child and everyone else who looks like they have it all figured out is definitely has their own struggles too.

Good luck!
Jessica

Karolina     at 11:09 am

Wow- it’s hard to believe that you are almost done with your pregnancy journey. I’ve following it week by week and seeing that it IS possible to stay healthy while pregnant. Thanks for being open with your journey!

Shannon @ My Place In The Race     at 11:22 am

You are so stinking cute! Can’t wait to see the little fellow :)

Sherry     at 12:01 pm

My little peanut is actually going to BE 5 in January. Holy crap! How did THAT happen? Some of the time you think you’ll never get past this stage (waking several times in the night; temper tantrums; potty training). And then, you look back, and wish you were still in those stages, as it all goes fast. BUT – I do not say that to you to make you sad….it’s the best ride you’ll ever be on!! And, when one part of the ride is behind you, and you’re wishing you could go back to the beginning…whoosh! The next part starts up, and you’re having the time of your life (or just holding on tightly, depending on the stage) and can’t look back at that previous part of the ride, as you’re too busy going through the next. Savor every moment! Enjoy every sweet smell (you’ll forget the bad ones). Every smile, every coo…being a Mommy is THE best thing that has ever happened to me, and I know you’ll feel that way too! Best wishes in the next few weeks! I hope your l&d goes smoothly.

Paige     at 12:05 pm

You are seriously one of the cutest pregnant women out there! Beach ball or no beach ball…lol.

Angela     at 12:22 pm

Ok that’s 2 weeks in a row you’ve made me cry with these posts. You’re off the read at work list or my co-workers will think I’m crazy blubbing away at my desk! ;)

Maryann     at 12:29 pm

You look great and your feelings are normal. I worked in Ob department and I was still just as nervous actually more nervous and I went back to work in 9 weeks after delivery. Dumb but we needed the money. Blessings on a healthy newborn baby C.
Lancaster Co PA Gal.

gillian     at 12:42 pm

i think this doesn’t get talked about enough, but i think there is something to be said for sort of grieving for your ‘past life’ before you become a parent. once you have a baby it becomes the ‘new normal’ but it is a big transition. don’t forget that it is okay to feel like that- and it doesn’t mean you aren’t a great mom or you don’t love your baby. it means you are normal :) and that you had a great life before kids, and it is okay to miss it!

Danielle     at 12:51 pm

I remember being in the hospital and saying, “They’re really going to let me take her home?” I couldn’t imagine taking care of her on my own! But, she’s just about 18 months now, and we’re still doing well. I still can’t picture a 5 year old though…

Casie     at 4:28 pm

Wow, just wow. You are looking amazing!

Emily     at 6:08 pm

You look great and it’s so wonderful to hear that you’re feeling better! Can’t believe its 31 days!!

Jennifer     at 8:47 pm

You look adorable! Being pregnant is not easy, period, and to still love it is great! I will be 35 weeks pregnant with my second daughter tomorrow, and although it has been uncomfortable at times, I am really looking forward to holding her in my arms and seeing how the two interact!

When he’s here, your world will turn upside down with love. It’s crazy awesome! Enjoy every minute!

Brittnie (A Joy Renewed)     at 4:35 am

You look amazing! You will be a great mother!!

Monica     at 4:47 am

I completely know what you mean! First trimester I was too sick and focused on just reaching the end of those first 12 weeks to think about much else. Second trimester I just felt so relieved to feel somewhat normal again, that when I finally reached the third trimester it was kind of like, oh yeah I am having a baby – HOLY MOLY!
I am very excited for all that is to come with the birth of our son, but am sad to close the door on life with just my husband. I also have days where I look forward to having my body back, but then think of how much I will miss having my son with me at all times and his little corks that I have come to expect to feel daily. So many emotions!
Have fun setting up the glider this weekend!

Nicole     at 8:02 am

You look so beautiful! It’s kind of ridiculous…. :)
Can’t wait to see the completed shots of the nursery! Yay!

Katie of Cabbage Ranch     at 9:17 am

A friend of mine reminded me toward the end of my pregnancy that babies don’t need much when they’re born. Mostly they need to be fed, changed, burped, held, kept warm, and loved (and yes, they need a lot of each of those, but it’s a lather-rinse-repeat kinda thing). As their needs grow, so will your knowledge. You’ll do great!

On “Natural” Childbirth. | Daily Garnish     at 10:30 am

[...] bodies are amazing machines.  Thirty five weeks of pregnancy has definitely taught me that time and time again.  With almost nine months under [...]

Birth Plans vs. Birth Hopes - My "Natural" Childbirth | Being Pregnant     at 12:07 pm

[...] bodies are amazing machines.  Thirty five weeks of pregnancy has definitely taught me that time and time again.  With almost nine months under my [...]