Zucchini, Sweet Potato, and Raisin Muffins

I went through a phase a while back where I was baking a LOT of muffins, but then for whatever reason I didn’t make any all summer long.  A few old wrinkly zucchinis in my fridge suddenly inspired me to break out my muffin pan for its glorious return.

These muffins don’t taste like they are filled with vegetables, but they most definitely are.  The flavor reminds me of carrot cake, but the veggies allow me to eat them three at at time.

Zucchini, Sweet Potato, and Raisin Muffins

Print this recipe!

Ingredients:  (makes 16 muffins)

• 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp cloves
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/3 cup sucanat or cane sugar
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil (or canola oil)
  • 1/3 cup non-dairy milk
  • 2 tbsp ground flaxseed (+4 tbsp water)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup grated zucchini
  • 1 cup grated sweet potato
  • 1/3 cup raisins

Instructions:  Start by preheating oven to 400 degrees F.  These muffins are the perfect way to use up a few old end of summer zucchinis you might still have lying around.

Using a box grater (or food processor attachment if you are fancy), carefully grate 1 cup of fresh zucchini.  For me it took three small zucchinis to yield a cup.

Peel 1 medium sweet potato and do the same.  Set your grated veggies off to the side.

Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir to combine.  In a separate bowl, combine 2 tbsp ground flax with 1/4 cup water and set aside to thicken into a “flax egg.”  Once thickened, combine all wet ingredients and add to the dry mixing bowl.

Add zucchini, sweet potato, and raisins, and fold in using a spatula or mix in with your hands.  Even though it’s messy, I found using my hands to be the most effective way to get everything thoroughly combined.

Grease your muffin pan and spoon batter into muffin cups.  I apologize in advance that this recipe doesn’t make a yield that fits the standard muffin pan (12), which means you’ll have to bake in two batches.  Don’t hate me.

Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.

Allow muffins to cool on a cooling rack before storing.  But make sure to taste at least one piping hot out of the oven.  That is always how a muffin tastes best.

I can totally see myself being that mom who gets her kids all excited about baking muffins full of vegetables.  I will fill their little lunchboxes with zucchini muffins and notes that say “mommy loves you.”  And then I will find the notes crumpled up in coat pockets because they were embarrassed when they found them, and I will shed a little tear.

But there will be no tears over the muffins.  At 165 calories a piece, they are most definitely something to smile about.

Slathering with Earth Balance is optional, but highly recommended.

Enjoy!  And have a great weekend!

Victoria (District Chocoholic)     at 12:04 pm

As long as the muffin doesn’t wind up crumpled in the pocket, I think it’s fine. These look delicious…

Elisabeth Reply:

Ha ha ha! :)

Ali @ Peaches and Football     at 12:18 pm

Ooh Emily I love this recipe. It looks fantastic. For whatever reason I can’t eat cooked raisins so I’d leave them out… but I bet I could even get the boyfriend to eat zucchini this way! ;)

Raisins are definitely optional.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen     at 12:18 pm

I’ve made muffins with carrots and muffins with zucchini but never together! Great way to get in some veggies ;)

Krystina (Organically Me)     at 12:22 pm

These are so tiny and cute! They’d be good for a little brunch, tea, or shower type event.

Katie @ Serenity in the Storm     at 12:24 pm

Yum! These sound great. We still have zucchinis coming in the garden everyday, so this would be a great way to use some of them. Thanks for the recipe!

Julie (A Case of the Runs)     at 12:37 pm

I want to be one of those moms, too!

Looks delicious! Muffins are my favorite dessert, and yes, I consider them to be desserts.

JenRD     at 12:52 pm

These look great! Do you think they would freeze well?

I don’t know why not!

Tricia     at 12:53 pm

these sound like something I could make and take to work for my break! all we have is junk foods :-/

Red Deception     at 1:14 pm

Beautiful recipe!

Kamaile     at 1:25 pm

hot muffin + earth balance = perfection!

agreed!

Kathryn @ Flopoodle     at 1:38 pm

Looks great! I almost made zucchini/carrot muffins the other night, but I think sweet potato brings way more to the table than carrot.

kathleen @ the daily crumb     at 1:41 pm

yum! i love baked goods that sneak in some veggies :) come to think of it, i just noticed some dwindling zucc’s in the fridge. perfect timing!

Elly     at 2:02 pm

Thanks SO much for this recipe! Looks amazing- can’t wait to try it!!
Love the blog!

Christina     at 2:03 pm

Yummy! I’m sure these freeze well for those who don’t want to eat a whole batch in one week :) Now that I think about it, I might have some zucchini in the fridge ;)

Bernadette     at 2:25 pm

OMG I love this, the muffins look FANTASTIC and I will be baking these ASAP!!!

This reminds me of when my kids were young… I used to put notes in their lunches and one day while cleaning my sons room I came across a basket in his closet… filled with all the notes I had put hin his lunches!! LOVE that kid!! He turns 22 next week, what I wouldn’t give to have one more day of that little boy… enjoy EVERY minute of it!!

xoxo

OMG I love that so much.

Anne Weber-Falk     at 3:20 pm

Oh yum! I’m going to make these tomorrow. Ooo I can’t wait to taste these. Funny about the note. I sent a note in my older daughter’s lunch box. She came home and let me know she was embarrassed. I told her too bad because I love her and I wanted her to know it. You’re going to be a great mom.

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats     at 3:39 pm

These muffins sound wonderful. I love the part you included about kids being excited about baking veggie muffins and packing their lunchboxes with little notes. So cute! :)

Cassie @ Naturally Cassie     at 4:33 pm

YUM! I love squeezing in as many fruits & veggies as possible. Mission accomplished here!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun     at 6:21 pm

I love sneaking veggies into baked goods…and its very useful with the kids. ;)

jennifer and jaclyn @ sketch-free vegan     at 6:38 pm

these look great! Ruffins!

kate     at 7:16 pm

These look like something I need to make asap! I’m new to baking with coconut oil though and I have a, probably really silly, question. Is it 1/2 cup coconut oil measured at its solid state or liquid state? Maybe it’s the same, but I know how technical baking can get sometimes and didn’t want to mess up the consistency. Anyways, thanks for another great recipe I can’t wait to try them!

Not a silly question! You’ll want the coconut oil to be liquid so that you can mix it into the batter easily. It was 80 degrees here in Seattle today, so mine was already nice and runny. :)

kate Reply:

Thank you! That’s funny because I’m not far away from Seattle over in Redmond, WA and mine is still solid. Well, have a great weekend! Enjoy the sun because who knows when it will be back again :) Although typically we do get some nice autumn weather.

kate Reply:

ok just had to let you know that i made them and they turned out DELICIOUS!! thank you so much!

Megan @ Foodie Cycles     at 8:19 pm

Those look amazing! I’m making some pumpkin muffins in the morning.. wish I had ingredients to try these though! yummmmm

Deva @ Deva by Definition     at 8:31 pm

These look incredible! I love the idea of a veggie-filled muffin. I am definitely going to have to try these. I love muffins for breakfast or snacks and these look super healthy and YUMMY.

Your remark about the notes made me think of when I was in first grade and still attending school (I was homeschooled from grade 2 on). My lunchbox disappeared so for a while I had paper-sack lunches. My dad would write notes on the paperbags, hiding a pen in his hand so it would look like he was writing with his index finger!

Kari @ bite-sized thoughts     at 2:43 am

Wow! These look fantastic. I often make muffins with zucchini and carrot but have never thought of sweet potato. Thanks for the idea – it will be tried!

Katherina @ Zephyr Runs     at 5:49 am

Those muffins looks delicious. I think veggie muffins are my favorite, zucchini and carrot for sure. Other muffins sometimes just taste a little too dense/sweet for me.

Amanda Samantha     at 7:30 am

Made these muffins this afternoon and they are absolutely amazing! My baby boy loved them as well!

I’ve been following your blog for a few months now and the recipes you come up with are truly amazing and we’re enjoying each and every one of them. I love your nursery as well, it’s just to cute!

Emily, enjoy the last few weeks of your pregnancy, before you know you’re creating recipes for your baby. It’s just lovely! Have a great one!

MA*     at 10:40 am

Hahahahahaha at ‘and I will shed a little tear’. I am making these for all my vegan employees for thsnksgiving potluck — THANK YOU!!

Baking Serendipity     at 12:02 pm

I need more veggies in my muffins. These look fantastic!

Sara @ RunnerWife     at 12:54 pm

Wow these look delicious! I am going to have to bookmark these for later!! :)

Katie     at 8:23 pm

these look FABULOUS i am SOOO making these tomorrow! Do you know the other nutritional stats of these muffins like the protein or fiber? :)

I didn’t save the nutritional info, but I always use Spark Recipes’ recipe calculator to get a nutrition facts label.

Kim     at 5:04 am

I made these DELICIOUS muffins yesterday as I had 2 zucchini in the fridge screaming…dont toss us, dont toss us! My husband thought they were really good and went back for another. I only had golden crimson raisins on hand so I used those…Thanks for posting this fab recipe!!! Hope you are feeling well today :-)

Yum! So glad you liked it! I love golden raisins.

fittingbackin     at 9:40 am

THese look great! I’m forever amazed at how versatile zuchinni is – I mean really!

Missy     at 11:45 am

These look amazing! I want to make them for our play group tomorrow. Do you think I could substitute apple sauce for the oil without ruining the muffins?

I think it’s worth a shot! I didn’t try it, but I think they would probably be okay. The veggies should help with the moisture.

elizabeth     at 1:01 pm

These look great. If I wanted to use eggs, how many would I use and what would I leave out? Thanks! Elizabeth

I would add 1 egg, and leave out the flax+water

eliza (zesty appetite)     at 4:54 pm

Wow these look amazing! Since I’m still in that selfish part in my life, I would make these with the intention of sharing and then eat them all myself. I love sneaking veggies into treats!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers     at 7:52 pm

Those look so good and are so healthy! i am book marking this and making them this week! I can’t wait!

Meck     at 9:02 pm

I can’t wait to try this! I love this blog and especially love feeling like my comment a few weeks ago was heard. Thanks for keeping the “unrefined” crowd in mind!

Absolutely! :)

Brooke (Tea & Tofu)     at 10:17 pm

I’m six weeks into a new healthy lifestyle and haven’t broken out the baking tools yet (for fear I’ll eat the whole batch in one sitting) – but this might be just the recipe to start on! Thanks for the inspiration, Emily :-)

Renee     at 10:42 pm

Your muffins are so yummy. No dairy, eggs, butter. Divine.
Thank you for posting this. One will be in my little ones lunch tomorrow. Zucchini is one veg I haven’t been able to get them to eat a lot of. That’s all in the past now.

Jessica     at 7:06 am

These look delicious – I figure if I shred the zucchini small enough I can convince my husband these are carrot cake muffins. ;) Thanks for an inspired recipe for the leftover veggies languishing in my fridge!

Celeste     at 8:20 am

Long-time stalker, first-time commenter. These were absolutely amazing! I even took them to an apartment of my guy friends, and they said they tasted like carrot cake, and couldn’t guess that it had zucchini and sweet potatoes in it.

I did double the spices and sub in rum extract for vanilla though (since I was out). And they taste really good with candied ginger sprinkled on top. Thanks for a delicious recipe!

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie     at 9:18 am

Those look so good! I’m all about sticking extra fruits and veggies into baked goods, thanks for sharing the recipe!

Andi     at 6:52 pm

I made this tonight in a loaf pan.. DELICIOUS!

I baked it at the same temp, for 40mins. The edges were crispy with a moist center.. perfection!

You’ve done it again!!!

Glad to hear it works well in a loaf pan too!

Kim     at 6:21 am

I’ve already made these a few times, awesome recipe!

Flax Seed |     at 6:24 pm

[...] Daily Garnish’s Zucchini, Sweet Potato, and Raisin Muffins  [...]

Melissa     at 7:53 am

These look so yummy! How important is the whole wheat pastry flour? That and the flax are the only thing I don’t have but I saw in the comments you could sub one egg for the flax. Is there something I could sub for the pastry flour?

Sharing the {link} Love – April | simple.savvy.strong     at 4:51 pm

[...] Emily’s Zucchini, Sweet Potato and Raisin Muffins [...]

luv what you do     at 6:39 pm

Wow, those look sso good! They will be great for this summer!

Amy     at 2:06 pm

Can I use mashed sweet potato that is already cooked or do I need to shred raw? Also – have you tried this as bread?

Gretchen     at 7:29 am

Hi Emily,
Just wanted to let you know I put yet another batch of these muffins in the oven. I have probably made these 25 times or more since first seeing your recipe and they are hands down my favorite! I even made them for Christmas morning :) I know you are in the final lap of your pregnancy and feeling pretty uncomfortable most of the time. Wishing I could drop a plate of these off at your house (from Virginia…). Take care!

to grow taller     at 10:58 am

After I originally left a comment I appear to have clicked the -Notify me
when new comments are added- checkbox and from now on every time a comment
is added I get four emails with the same comment.
There has to be a means you are able to remove me from that service?
Many thanks!