For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

Asparagus and Mushroom Quinoa Risotto

I bought asparagus at the store earlier this week and was determined to do something interesting with it.  I was really wanting risotto, but didn’t have any of what are typically the main ingredients – Arborio rice, cooking wine, and large amounts of cheese.  But you know what?  I made it anyways, and it turns out that you don’t actually need any of those things for a delicious risotto after all.

Asparagus and Mushroom Quinoa Risotto

Print this recipe!

Ingredients:  (serves 4)

• 4 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 small yellow or white onion
  • 1 cup sliced mushrooms
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 cup dry quinoa
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 bunch asparagus
  • 1 tablespoon Earth Balance (or butter)
  • salt to taste

Instructions:  Start by pouring the vegetable broth into a sauce pan and bringing it up to a light simmer.  Having hot stock or broth is an important step in making risotto!

Next, dice the onion and mushrooms and sauté in olive oil over medium heat.  This is one instance where you definitely want to use stainless cookware rather than something non-stick.  You want the onions and mushrooms to create some fond and browning on the bottom of the pan.  Color = flavor!

One the onion and mushroom are browning, add the dry quinoa and stir to coat in the olive oil.  Continue to stir and cook over medium high heat for about 3 minutes – just enough to coat the quinoa and toast it a bit.

Add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice to deglaze the bottom of the pan, and then begin adding the hot vegetable stock to the quinoa one ladle at a time.

Add stock and stir continuously over medium heat until most liquid is absorbed.  Once absorbed, add another ladle full of stock, and continue to do so for 25-30 minutes total, or until quinoa is cooked and risotto is creamy.

In between ladles and stirring, cut asparagus into bite sized pieces.  Make sure to trim the woody ends!

If you are 39 weeks pregnant, 30 minutes of continuous standing and stirring may require a stool to be brought over to the stove.

When you only have 3 or 4 ladles left, add the raw asparagus to your mixture and stir to combine and cook.  Continue to cook and stir until almost all liquid is absorbed.  Finish by adding 1 tablespoon Earth Balance for a touch more creaminess, and season to taste with salt.

It’s hard to believe that something so creamy and rich is actually dairy-free, and a nutritional powerhouse.

Risotto is one of those dishes that is a little time intensive, but the end result is always so totally worth it.  Best served immediately after cooking!

Traditional risottos made with rice, wine, and cheese are most definitely delicious as well, but this version proves that you should never let your pantry limit your creativity.

Enjoy!

TeenyLittleSuperChef     at 9:10 am

Bring on the stinky pee! This recipe sounds really tasty. It seems like it would be a good side dish for Thanksgiving. I wonder what adding in a little canned pumpkin would do for the creaminess and flavor. It would definitely give it a fun color!
You and your belly are totally adorable. Can’t wait to see pics of your little guy soon! Hang in there :)

Rachelle     at 9:43 am

The picture of you sitting stirring risotto made me giggle a little bit. I have a very similar picture taken of me when I was making risotto at 8 months pregnant.
So cute. :-)

Cat @Breakfast to Bed     at 9:44 am

when I was oh so preggers I did the same thing for risotto!! Gotta sit! Also, do you think reconstituted chanterelles would work in this recipe?

Tamicka     at 10:26 am

Ummmm can we say YUMMY! I’m making this tomorrow for dinner hands down

Anne P     at 10:27 am

Omg your apron-ed belly is the cutest.

Maryann     at 10:52 am

So cute!

bitt     at 1:00 pm

even though you may not have run a marathon at 40 weeks pregnancy, it still amazes me that you come up with these wonderful meal creations so far along. suffering from my own health issues, i can relate to some of the symptoms pregnant women have and I appreciate your doing what you can even under physical stress. it’s inspiring and also the best thing you can do for your body right now, eat wholesome good food!

Thanks Bitt! :)

Alexis @ hummusapien     at 2:45 pm

my unopened boxes of quinoa and mushrooms are gonna love this recipe!

Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf     at 6:36 pm

Mmm yum! I’ve made risotto about four times now and I think I’m finally getting the hang of it. Last time I didn’t follow a recipe at all! :)

So far I’ve only made “risotto” with different types of rice and quinoa. I hope to try some other grains as well for some variety. :)

Jena     at 7:57 pm

I made this tonight and it was delicous. Thank you!

Awesome! Thanks for letting me know. :)

Stephanie     at 7:29 pm

Great meal. I made this dinner the other evening and my two year old daughter loved it. Thank you!!

Natasha     at 8:44 am

I love this recipe. It’s such a healthful approach to a hearty risotto. Thanks for sharing. I can’t wait to try this in my kitchen!

cristina     at 4:09 pm

Hi Emily, I have been reading your blog for about six months. All your recipes look delicious. I tried the twice baked sweet potatoes a few weeks ago and tonight I made this. They were both amazing. My husband and I looooooved them. Thanks for the great recipes.

You are most welcome!

Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life     at 8:56 am

I just want to say that I made this recipe this weekend and it was heavenly! I will definitely be making this again and again and again! thanks sooooo much!

Danielle Andolina     at 5:04 pm

made this yesterday…with nutritional yeast of course. delicious!! thanks!

Kellie     at 2:35 pm

I am in the process of making this delicious sounding recipe right now… can’t wait to taste it once it’s finished!!

Just Another Rainy Sunday.. | Endless Rhapsody     at 12:18 pm

[…] dinner, I made this Asparagus and Mushroom Quinoa Risotto from Daily Garnish which came out really good… totally recommended.  No pictures because I […]

Angela@veggievinyasa     at 6:50 am

I always make quinoa the same way (with veggies and a dash of soy sauce) so I’m excited to change it up. Thanks for the great suggestion! I love asparagus.

running shoes