Early Labor.

Turns out that Baby C is more like his mom and dad than I ever could have realized.  All it took was getting an induction on the calendar for him to decide to show us who is really in charge. 

I promised to keep you guys posted, so I wanted to pop in quickly and give you our update.  Starting around 10pm last night, I began having definite signs of early labor – very strong cramps and bleeding among other things (I will spare you the details).

I laid down in bed thinking I should get some sleep, but almost immediately I started feeling waves of tightening that were coming and going quite often.  Casey and I sort of stared at each other in amazement like, “is this really happening?”  We downloaded a contraction timer app (so 2011!) and started keeping track of what was happening.

In all my birthing classes and preparations we were told to call the doctors once contractions were 4-5 minutes apart, lasting for at least a minute, for the duration of at least an hour.  The funny thing is, my contractions started at four minute apart, and never seemed to slow down.  We called the midwife after two hours and talked to her, and I continued to bounce on my ball and do my best to labor at home.

After five hours of very painful and intense contractions at home, we called again and they told me to come in to be seen by a midwife.  Casey and I got to the hospital around 3:30am, and I spent quite a while being monitored and checked.

Baby C still looks and sounds great, and the monitors all showed my contractions coming on strong about every four minutes apart.  My check showed that progress is happening, but veeeery slowly.  Looks like we are in for a long day or two!

The midwife was concerned that my contractions were too painful to sleep through, and wanted to make sure I was in the best position possible for a natural and unmedicated delivery (if we decide that’s still our best scenario).  At this point it was 5am and Casey and I were both running on zero sleep.  She decided to give me a low dose of sleep medicine to help me sleep through some contractions and get prepared for what will likely be a big day ahead.

We headed back home to continue to labor here and catch up on rest.  Having never taken a sleeping pill in my life, I just woke up from what was probably my deepest sleep ever.  I feel like a whole new person.

My contractions are definitely still happening, but they are spaced a bit farther apart now and I’m doing all my breathing and relaxation exercises to make them more tolerable.  I feel absolutely fine in between them (hence the ability to sit and type out a post!), but MAN do they hurt.

I’m planning to continue to labor here at home for as long as possible and continue to sleep as much as I can before things really get going.  I think we have a long 24-48 hours ahead of us, but at this rate I think we will have a baby by tomorrow!

I will continue to update as I can (although once things get going I can’t imagine I’ll be writing out full posts!).  Since I think this may end up being a long experience, I want to document it as much as I can while it’s still fresh in my head.  I’ll send tweets with the #babymalone hashtag throughout the process.  Crossing my fingers that this is the real deal and that things continue to progress.  Thank you for all the well wishes and prayers – we will keep you posted!