For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

Tofu and Veggie Lettuce Wraps.

I’ve been trying to get more creative with our meals recently.  With the convenience of the rice cooker, it’s so easy to get trapped in the pattern of just throwing grains and greens in there night after night.

This weekend, I decided I wanted something a little more fresh.  Something crunchy.  Something green.  I set out to recreate one of my favorite appetizers to order when we go out to eat – lettuce wraps!

Tofu and Veggie Lettuce Wraps

• 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons sesame oil
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 1/4 cup chopped peanuts
  • 1 head lettuce

Instructions:  You’ll want to cut the vegetables for these wraps into very small bite sized pieces.  Peel and slice the carrots into thin discs, and then chop the bell pepper into tiny cubes.

Press a block of tofu for about 20 minutes to remove most of the moisture, and then dice into very small cubes as well.

Add carrots and bell peppers to a sauté pan and cook over medium high heat for about 5 minutes, or until starting to soften.  Add tofu, ginger, and garlic, and continue to cook for about ten minutes, stirring often.

In a small bowl, whisk together the rest of the ingredients for your sauce.  Slowly add sauce to pan with tofu and veggies, and stir to coat evenly.  Turn the heat down to medium low and allow mixture to continue to cook for about ten more minutes.

In the meantime, prepare your lettuce.  I actually used Swiss chard for my wraps because we were out other leafy greens.  If you want to use something like chard, just make sure to cut the woody stem out of the middle before wrapping!

Once your filling is all cooked and ready to go, sprinkle with peanuts and remove from the heat.  Spoon the mixture onto each (washed) lettuce leaf and be careful to not overfill.

Then carefully fold the sides in and roll away from you…

IMG_2753 (426x640)  IMG_2754 (427x640)

Until you have a nice tightly wrapped roll!

Serve along side a bit of soy sauce or mix up a bit of extra peanut-y dressing for dipping!

There is something so refreshing about crunching through a crisp green lettuce wrap.  I love the contrast of the cold greens with the hot tofu and veggies!

Dipping is optional but highly encouraged.  The next time you are tempted to call for takeout, hopefully this inspires you to make this delicious Asian-inspired appetizer at home instead!  Faster, cheaper, healthier, and in my opinion – tastier!

Enjoy!

Lindsey Grossman     at 8:26 am

Excited to see that you used chard. We have some about ready to harvest and I was thinking of it when I saw the title of your post!

Dorsa     at 8:34 am

looks yummy :)

Natalie     at 8:41 am

Just decided this is going to be my FIRST EVER attempt at cooking with tofu!! Can’t wait!

Marie@feedingfive     at 9:06 am

I love lettuce wraps, I just wish my kids did too.

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed     at 9:41 am

Yum, I love lettuce wraps! I’ve never made them at home, but I need to!

Ciera @ Rose & Thistle     at 10:19 am

These sound delicious, can’t wait to try them!

Rachel @ My Naturally Frugal Family     at 11:00 am

This is exactly what I have been wanting for about a week, but have been too lazy to come up a good recipe. I think seeing yours will spur me into making some wraps. I was going to use cabbage or kale because we are out of lettuce at my house (YIKES!)
Message to Baby C: Come on we want to see you :)

Jen@foodfamilyfitness     at 1:12 pm

You are a genius!!! Love this and can’t wait to try it!!!!

Lisa @ CaliforniaRaisinRuns     at 1:20 pm

These look so delicious! What a nice fall meal or appetizer. These could totally last several days if we make enough and keep the leaves and the filling in separate containers. You’ve got great recipe ideas!

Sarah@The Flying ONION     at 1:22 pm

I love this kind of dinner! I made spring rolls, cabbage rolls and thai lettuce wraps a lot this past summer, but never thought of using chard. Can’t wait to try this out! :D

Lauren @ LaDolcePita     at 4:38 pm

These remind me of Thai veg wraps I used to get for lunch when I lived in Philadelphia a few years ago… SO GOOD!! Will definitely try. Hope you and Baby C are doing well!

Darian @ living and loving to sweat     at 4:38 pm

I have tried making lettuce wraps before but for some reason they never turn out as yummy as I would have hoped, but these ones look AMAZING!! I can’t wait to try them. Thanks!

Brittany     at 4:39 pm

lol I feel a little silly. This blog is from yesterday but I keep checking back to your blog, mostly because I love reading yours and also because I am wondering if there is a new garnish in town lol.

I think women are born to be this way even when it is someone elses baby. At least I keep telling myself this so I dont feel like a creeper LOL!

My husband and I have been trying for almost 2 years. Honestly the more time has passed the more OK I am with babies around me who dont belong to me. I just realize that having a baby is such a perfect gift for someone during their special time in life. I just know my time is coming but until then, I can be so happy for other people :)

Great Balls of Fire: Its An Exciting Update! | Girl Gone Veggie     at 9:34 pm

[…] acceptance (and a night that didn’t involve lots and lots of paper writing) I decided to make Tofu and Veggie Lettuce Wraps. Daily Garnish is one of my favorite bloggers and as soon as I saw this […]

Christina     at 12:48 pm

Yum! This is a great, quick meal!

Meghan     at 3:46 pm

Made these today and they were so good! I’m so thankful Iearned how to cook tofu from your blog. It is one of my fav foods now! :)

Yay! Life is better with tofu. :)

Laura     at 7:28 am

We made these for dinner last night and they were SO GOOD! (albeit extremely messy to eat- haha)My husband and I agree that they are definitely going in to regular rotation at our house. Thanks for another great recipe!

Glad you liked them!

Emily (Edible Psychology)     at 4:01 pm

I made these for the first time tonight after seeing them pop up on your recipage. They were delicious! My partner and I both loved them and they will definitely become part of our regular rotation!

Thanks for another outstanding recipe!

~Emily~

Jenn     at 6:07 pm

I made these this afternoon and they were terrific. The only change is that I reduced the sesame oil to one tablespoon, because it seemed like a lot (sesame oil has a really strong flavor!)

And that much oil (since I assumed the veggies needed to be sauteed in oil) seemed like a lot. The recipe made about four servings for me (with a side veggie dish).

running shoes