Tofu and Veggie Lettuce Wraps.

I’ve been trying to get more creative with our meals recently.  With the convenience of the rice cooker, it’s so easy to get trapped in the pattern of just throwing grains and greens in there night after night.

This weekend, I decided I wanted something a little more fresh.  Something crunchy.  Something green.  I set out to recreate one of my favorite appetizers to order when we go out to eat – lettuce wraps!

Tofu and Veggie Lettuce Wraps

• 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons sesame oil
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 1/4 cup chopped peanuts
  • 1 head lettuce

Instructions:  You’ll want to cut the vegetables for these wraps into very small bite sized pieces.  Peel and slice the carrots into thin discs, and then chop the bell pepper into tiny cubes.

Press a block of tofu for about 20 minutes to remove most of the moisture, and then dice into very small cubes as well.

Add carrots and bell peppers to a sauté pan and cook over medium high heat for about 5 minutes, or until starting to soften.  Add tofu, ginger, and garlic, and continue to cook for about ten minutes, stirring often.

In a small bowl, whisk together the rest of the ingredients for your sauce.  Slowly add sauce to pan with tofu and veggies, and stir to coat evenly.  Turn the heat down to medium low and allow mixture to continue to cook for about ten more minutes.

In the meantime, prepare your lettuce.  I actually used Swiss chard for my wraps because we were out other leafy greens.  If you want to use something like chard, just make sure to cut the woody stem out of the middle before wrapping!

Once your filling is all cooked and ready to go, sprinkle with peanuts and remove from the heat.  Spoon the mixture onto each (washed) lettuce leaf and be careful to not overfill.

Then carefully fold the sides in and roll away from you…

IMG_2753 (426x640)  IMG_2754 (427x640)

Until you have a nice tightly wrapped roll!

Serve along side a bit of soy sauce or mix up a bit of extra peanut-y dressing for dipping!

There is something so refreshing about crunching through a crisp green lettuce wrap.  I love the contrast of the cold greens with the hot tofu and veggies!

Dipping is optional but highly encouraged.  The next time you are tempted to call for takeout, hopefully this inspires you to make this delicious Asian-inspired appetizer at home instead!  Faster, cheaper, healthier, and in my opinion – tastier!

Enjoy!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers     at 4:26 pm

Mmm like PF Chang’s only way better. :) I’m with you – I love the combo of crunchy, crispy lettuce and a warm veggie filling.

laura (starloz)     at 4:30 pm

ohhhhhh, how awesome?

Trainer Kjirsten @ Balanced Healthy Life     at 4:35 pm

Those look great! I’m also a fan of the cool crisp lettuce and then the fun vegetable fillings! I also love dipping them in a fun sauce! Your peanut sauce looks fab!

Tofu Mom (Marti)     at 4:39 pm

THESE LOOK AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie     at 4:41 pm

I love tofu wraps! I think I will be trying to make this one tomorrow!

Any baby updates?! I’m sending happy thoughts your way!

Marissa     at 4:42 pm

I have all these ingredients in my fridge right now. I’m totally making these tonight!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga     at 4:52 pm

I have memories of over paying for WFs or PF Chang’s lettuce wraps from years ago…and now I make my own and yours are…gorgeous!! The sauce/seasonings that you came up with and used I bet are just delish.

I hope you have meals in the freezer..you’re gonna have a baby any day I am thinking and hope that freezer is stocked :)

Amanda@BlueDrishti     at 5:15 pm

These look so good. Tofu is so versatile. I had my first tofu breakfast scramble yesterday at a restaurant and promptley went out and bought a couple blocks. They may become part of this recipe soon!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)     at 5:31 pm

Oh yum those look so good! We do lettuce wraps with the kids and they love them. It makes eating your veggies way more fun!

Caileigh     at 5:41 pm

I love doing lettuce wraps, so much more interesting than regular wraps.
Also, I think I have probably checked your twitter 100 times today, I’m on serious Baby Garnish watch over here!

Cassie @ Naturally Cassie     at 5:43 pm

I have not had lettuce wraps in soooo long. This will definitely kick any take out cravings!

Sana     at 6:09 pm

I love ordering lettuce wraps when I eat out, they are light and delicious!

Brittany     at 6:09 pm

YUM!

Now, I’ve never cooked with tofu, so what do you mean by “press” the tofu? :)

Thanks for the recipe! I’m sure to try it!

Natalie Reply:

Pressing the tofu is just a way to get all of the excess moisture out to make a faux meat texture and make it easier to cook with. I usually drain my tofu first and then wrap it in a few paper towels and press it. switching sides and redoing to towels until very little moisture comes out, and it looks less gooey, and more textured.

Natalie     at 6:36 pm

Emily! I love your blog, you’ve inspired me to completely cut alcohol out and your recipes are always fantastic! Congrats on your pregnancy!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen     at 6:47 pm

I’ve done something almost identical to this but used collard greens as my wrap. Totally agree about the crispness of the greens vs. the cooked tofu inside, delicious. :)

mi-an d.     at 7:55 pm

i’ve something like this before too! but i didn’t cook the tofu and marinated it in a rice vinegar with mango chutney sauce and also used chard for the wrap! ;)

Mai     at 8:30 pm

Ohmygosh, I’m so excited to try this! I’ve been wanting to make some lettuce wraps but haven’t found a good recipe.

Laura (On the Threshold of Greatness)     at 8:58 pm

These look so delicious! I was recently diagnosed with celiac disease and am really trying to add wheat/bread free meals to my repertoire!

Oh, and thanks for still writing such great recipe posts this far along in your pregnancy! <3 Wishing you the best!

Candy @ Healthy In Candy Land     at 10:27 pm

Yum! Those sound like a nice change from the carb- and starchy veggie-heavy fall dishes I’ve been making lately.

Liz     at 11:07 pm

These sound & look delicious! I love the lettuce wraps at PF Changs & Cheesecake Factory, so I will definitely be trying these. The great part is that you could easily mix up the tofu with chicken (if you’re a meat eater) or use different vegetables :)

Michaela     at 5:44 am

such a cool recipe!
thanks! finally another way to use up 2 super huge heads of lettuce… ;)

I am sooo excited for Baby C to be born!! Not long :)

Brittney     at 5:57 am

I love lettuce wraps. I make a version with tempeh, shredded carrot, and lots of ginger as the filling. They are awesome :)

katie     at 6:11 am

I make my own version of these all the time. They’re Kirt’s fave and the only way I can get him to eat tofu. Try marinating cucumbers in ginger salad dressing for the wraps…amazing!

Katie @ SerenityintheStorm     at 8:00 am

looks good! do you have a favorite recipe for peanut sauce? I still haven’t found a recipe I’m crazy about.

Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf     at 8:22 am

I have never used lettuce as wraps before. I normally fear they might be bland, but these look really good!

Lindsey Grossman     at 8:26 am

Excited to see that you used chard. We have some about ready to harvest and I was thinking of it when I saw the title of your post!

Dorsa     at 8:34 am

looks yummy :)

Natalie     at 8:41 am

Just decided this is going to be my FIRST EVER attempt at cooking with tofu!! Can’t wait!

Marie@feedingfive     at 9:06 am

I love lettuce wraps, I just wish my kids did too.

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed     at 9:41 am

Yum, I love lettuce wraps! I’ve never made them at home, but I need to!

Ciera @ Rose & Thistle     at 10:19 am

These sound delicious, can’t wait to try them!

Rachel @ My Naturally Frugal Family     at 11:00 am

This is exactly what I have been wanting for about a week, but have been too lazy to come up a good recipe. I think seeing yours will spur me into making some wraps. I was going to use cabbage or kale because we are out of lettuce at my house (YIKES!)
Message to Baby C: Come on we want to see you :)

Jen@foodfamilyfitness     at 1:12 pm

You are a genius!!! Love this and can’t wait to try it!!!!

Lisa @ CaliforniaRaisinRuns     at 1:20 pm

These look so delicious! What a nice fall meal or appetizer. These could totally last several days if we make enough and keep the leaves and the filling in separate containers. You’ve got great recipe ideas!

Sarah@The Flying ONION     at 1:22 pm

I love this kind of dinner! I made spring rolls, cabbage rolls and thai lettuce wraps a lot this past summer, but never thought of using chard. Can’t wait to try this out! :D

Lauren @ LaDolcePita     at 4:38 pm

These remind me of Thai veg wraps I used to get for lunch when I lived in Philadelphia a few years ago… SO GOOD!! Will definitely try. Hope you and Baby C are doing well!

Darian @ living and loving to sweat     at 4:38 pm

I have tried making lettuce wraps before but for some reason they never turn out as yummy as I would have hoped, but these ones look AMAZING!! I can’t wait to try them. Thanks!

Brittany     at 4:39 pm

lol I feel a little silly. This blog is from yesterday but I keep checking back to your blog, mostly because I love reading yours and also because I am wondering if there is a new garnish in town lol.

I think women are born to be this way even when it is someone elses baby. At least I keep telling myself this so I dont feel like a creeper LOL!

My husband and I have been trying for almost 2 years. Honestly the more time has passed the more OK I am with babies around me who dont belong to me. I just realize that having a baby is such a perfect gift for someone during their special time in life. I just know my time is coming but until then, I can be so happy for other people :)

Great Balls of Fire: Its An Exciting Update! | Girl Gone Veggie     at 9:34 pm

[...] acceptance (and a night that didn’t involve lots and lots of paper writing) I decided to make Tofu and Veggie Lettuce Wraps. Daily Garnish is one of my favorite bloggers and as soon as I saw this [...]

Christina     at 12:48 pm

Yum! This is a great, quick meal!

Meghan     at 3:46 pm

Made these today and they were so good! I’m so thankful Iearned how to cook tofu from your blog. It is one of my fav foods now! :)

Yay! Life is better with tofu. :)

Laura     at 7:28 am

We made these for dinner last night and they were SO GOOD! (albeit extremely messy to eat- haha)My husband and I agree that they are definitely going in to regular rotation at our house. Thanks for another great recipe!

Glad you liked them!

Emily (Edible Psychology)     at 4:01 pm

I made these for the first time tonight after seeing them pop up on your recipage. They were delicious! My partner and I both loved them and they will definitely become part of our regular rotation!

Thanks for another outstanding recipe!

~Emily~

Jenn     at 6:07 pm

I made these this afternoon and they were terrific. The only change is that I reduced the sesame oil to one tablespoon, because it seemed like a lot (sesame oil has a really strong flavor!)

And that much oil (since I assumed the veggies needed to be sauteed in oil) seemed like a lot. The recipe made about four servings for me (with a side veggie dish).