For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

Week 40: My Pregnancy Journey.

Well shoot.  Here’s a post I never thought I would be writing!  My due date has come and gone, and I am most definitely still pregnant.

Although while being overdue is definitely not fun, I feel very blessed to have carried this guy to term and let him do all the developing he has needed.  It feels good to know that when he does finally come out, he should be more than ready to face the world!

He seems to be pretty comfortable all curled up and kicking in my belly.  My comfort levels have most definitely decreased as a result – mostly at night.  Sleep seems to be out of the question these days, and I toss and turn about every 30 minutes all night long.  During the day I still feel great – pretty much like my normal old self, but night time is a different story.  I’m starting to think it’s possible that I will actually get MORE sleep once my newborn arrives!

We had our first post-date checkup this morning at the midwives’ office.  I had high hopes that I would be checked and told that I am making good progress, and labor seems imminent.  Unfortunately, that doesn’t appear to be the case.  Progress is minimal and my midwife said she’d be pretty surprised if I went into labor naturally in the next few days.

From there, the conversation switched to next steps and figuring out what our best plan of action is for a safe, healthy delivery.  We talked about a lot of different options, and ultimately Casey and I decided to follow the recommended advice of the midwife and get an induction put onto the calendar.

Of course I know that babies can come at any time, and no progress now doesn’t mean that it couldn’t change very quickly.  I certainly hope that is the case!  But we’re also trying to be realistic about our options and what the next week or two might bring.

As of this morning, unless he chooses to come earlier, I’m scheduled to be induced on Sunday morning (October 23rd).  While I know it’s not a huge deal, it just wasn’t the conversation I had hoped to have at the office today, and I’m still sort of wrapping my mind around the concept.  Go figure – I am the biggest control freak ever, and suddenly I find myself struggling with the idea of taking control of this situation.

As strange as it feels to think about being induced, it’s also a bit of a relief to know that there truly is an end in sight, and that we will finally know our baby boy next week.  I was pretty emotional (and quite honestly very cranky) this morning, but I’m feeling better about it as the day goes on.  I’ve had an incredibly healthy pregnancy with no scares and no complications.  If the “worst” thing that happens is needing a little help to get delivery going, I’m going to call this a win.

It has been fun hanging out with my mom this week, even though I feel bad that she’s probably pretty bored with no baby to play with!  Casey’s parents arrive this weekend, and everyone seems to be really excited that now they will most likely be here to celebrate the baby’s arrival in person.  What a lucky little guy to have so many people here on the day he is born.

There is no more preparation or packing to do – we are MORE than ready.  I did, however, buy something totally ridiculous during a trip to IKEA earlier in the week…

But wait…there’s another one.  I couldn’t help myself!  They are so squishy and look so friendly.  It’s only a matter of time before the dogs rip their smiles off, but in the meantime they are too darn cute.

While my mom has been awaiting the arrival of her second grandson, she’s also been knitting him a gift!  She finished up this baby blanket last night, and I am so excited to wrap him up in it and tell him it’s from his Grandma Judy when he’s big enough to understand.

My mom has also been giving me heavenly back and leg rubs at night, and I’m considering never letting her leave.  I feel very spoiled!

I guess this is officially my LAST weekly update.  That makes me a little bit sad!  What a fun journey it has been.  I posted a photo “flip book” over on Babble today too – a look back at how much changes when you’re busy growing a baby!  Pretty incredible.

I really appreciate you guys allowing me to share my pregnancy with you, and hope that you’ve found it to be a fun story to follow.  The updates will certainly continue next week, but by then I should have a new little sidekick.  Can’t wait!

Odds and Ends

• Total weight gained:  30 pounds
  • Days until due date:  -3
  • Donuts eaten this week:  2
  • Cups of raspberry red leaf tea consumed:  infinite
  • Days until induction:  5

For previous weekly updates and more pregnancy-related posts, please visit my pregnancy page!

The latest Babble:

Colette     at 7:59 am

Nevermind!!! I just saw your tweet. GOOD LUCK!!!

Becca     at 8:12 am

Good luck, Emily!

Carol @ Lucky Zucca     at 8:17 am

I can’t believe this is the last one of these posts either! I have really enjoyed reading along as you go on this adventure, and I can’t wait for baby updates as little C grows! Good luck with the delivery Emily!

Liz     at 8:28 am

Thinking of you…have a safe and healthy delivery!

Jamie     at 8:59 am

I was induced with my son, I know it isn’t ideal but I think you have a great attitude about it. Are you going to get an epidural? I definitely did- once they induced me, I went from 2-6 cm in less than an hour.

Good luck Sunday! I am excited for you.

Adriana R     at 9:06 am

I look forward to you weekly updates! I love seeing the progress. Can’t wait until the update is the arrival of a new baby!!! And October 23rd is a lovely date, it’s also my birthday ;-)

Ashley Austrew     at 9:14 am

My due date was October 2nd, and I also went past. I ended up being induced on the 6th, and delivered my baby girl at 3:08am on the 7th. I was also worried about the idea of inducing, but it turned out to be a really great experience. I actually loved my labor and delivery experience. I feel so lucky to be able to say that. You’re beyond prepared and it sounds like you’ve got a great team surrounding and supporting you. Try not to worry too much! I’ve been following your journey since the beginning when one of my friends told me to check out your blog because you were only two weeks behind me in your pregnancy, and I can’t wait to finally get to see pictures of your sweet little man. Wishing you and baby lots of luck, health, and happiness :)

amy     at 9:36 am

Let’s hope your little man comes before the induction! My friend was just induced Monday night and had her little girl this morning =)

Emily     at 9:37 am

I love reading all of your updates about Baby C! I can’t wait until the post finally comes post-birth! Good luck and congratulations to you and Casey!

Erica     at 9:40 am

Oh my gosh!!! I just saw your tweets that you went into labor last night/this morning! Congratulations, I’m glad Baby C decided to show up on his own :) Good luck today and I hope your labor and delivery lives up to your hopes and that you are snuggling your little one soon :)

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed Reply:

YAY! Congrats :) Hope everything goes/went as smoothly as possible!

Sarah@The Flying ONION     at 10:13 am

You are adorable and I can’t wait to “officially” meet the new member of your family. :D

And I love those veggies! That is the cutest thing ever. :D

Leah     at 10:24 am

Can’t wait! So nervous and excited as yours is the only pregnancy journey I’ve followed from start to finish. Following friends/family members pregnancies is just not the same because they do not share as many details, photos, and stories as you. Thank you so much for doing such a great job keeping your readers informed (and excited) every step of the way.

Amber K     at 10:36 am

Hope everything’s going well at the hospital. (saw your tweet!) Good luck!

Angela     at 10:59 am

I’ve loved all of your pregnancy posts. So glad that you had such a happy and healthy pregnancy. Hope everything is going well today.

Marty     at 4:42 pm

I hope “C” decides to come on his own before Sunday, but if he doesn’t, well he and I will share the same birthday! Yeah! I’ve loved all your posts Emily and I can’t wait to see Baby C and more! I’m glad your Mom is there to help you and Casey! Love the Ikea veggies!

Mahealani @ Beauty, Brains, and Balance     at 7:39 pm

Ahhhh!!! I almost bought those broccoli, carrot, and strawberry stuffed animals too! But for me, not for a baby. :P

Michelle Eden @ From Seed To Tree Reply:

I have the strawberry and it is soooo cute!!!

Pregnancy week by week symptoms     at 9:50 pm

This site through i know more information. Some problem can occurred belong solve to source problems provide this sites.

Patricia     at 12:07 pm

I’m curious…you mentioned that your mother and inlaws were in town for the weeks surrounding your child’s birth. We too are expecting our first child in early March and all of our family lives far away. They are planning to come visit for a couple weeks and hope to time it such that they are here for the birth. We have a two bedroom, three bathroom place, so we could host some of them. I’m not sure if it would be beneficial or burdensome to have them living with us as opposed to staying at a nearby hotel or rental. Did your family stay with you for all or part of their visit? What was your experience like?

running shoes