Weekends With Cullen.

Check it out – a rare weekend post!  We’re having so much fun with our new little family, and I thought I’d pop in to share a few pictures of what we’ve been up to since coming home from the hospital last Saturday.

Since my mom came out on October 14th (someone was too excited to stay home and wait for the baby!), she ended up being here when I went into labor.  This turned out to be a huge blessing, since we were in the hospital from Tuesday through Saturday.  She stayed at our house and took care of the dogs, which was a huge relief and help to us.  Plus she got to be here on the day he was born – so special!

The day we came home from the hospital, Casey’s parents were also flying into town so we had a VERY full house.  Emotions were high (hormones!), and when we pulled up in front of the house and saw this, I started sobbing.  Too cute!

Casey is a natural with Cullen, and I have so much fun watching them.  He is convinced Cullen doesn’t like him, but that’s just because he is usually on diaper duty, which is baby’s least favorite activity.

He gets lots and lots of kisses and snuggles.

It was nice having all our parents here to celebrate Cullen’s arrival, and everyone wanted to hold him and spoil him all day long.  Occasionally Casey and I would escape with him so the three of us could have a little alone time.  On day three, we took our first walk with the new stroller!  Because of my limited mobility, we only went around two blocks, but it felt great to get out and get him into the neighborhood.

Many of you asked about how the pups are adjusting to our new addition, and I can’t believe I forgot to mention it in the weekly update!  The initial reaction when we came home was a little tougher than I initially imagined.  Indy ran around the house whining and acting like he had been traumatized, and Huey was absolutely terrified of Cullen.  They both acted like freaks for a few days, afraid to get near him, barking when he cries, etc.

Slowly but surely, I think they realized this change is permanent, and they are starting to warm up to their new little brother.

I won’t leave him with them unsupervised because they are definitely still adjusting, but things are much much better now that a week has passed.

Now that the grandparents have all gone home and they realize they aren’t going to get spoiled by anyone else, they have warmed back up to us and are pretty much back to their normal selves.  We’re making sure to give them extra scratches and cuddles as much as possible.

I’ve also been experimenting with all my baby-wearing devices – the Ergo and the Moby wrap.  It’s so nice to strap Cullen on and go about my business while he naps.  He is such a snuggle bug down in there, and he naps so peacefully on my chest.

Now that it’s just us three (or five!), Casey and I are finally getting a feel for what life is like with our new family member.  We’ve been spending extra time cuddling in bed with him in the mornings, taking him to coffee shops, going for walks, and doing our best to blend our “old life” with all that is new.

So far so good!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

eliza     at 11:47 am

Adorable :)

Amanda     at 11:48 am

this is wonderful. congratulations!

Julia     at 11:50 am

I can’t believe this is my first time commenting…but better late than never.
You look like such an adorable family!!! Cullen seems really relaxed and easy-going.

Sending you the warmest greetings from far-away Germany!

Paige     at 11:50 am

cutest baby! I’m so happy for you, Emily! :)

Caitlin     at 11:51 am

The last photo is especially heartwarming. Keep enjoying your new addition!

BIOCHEMISTA     at 11:51 am

Emily, he is precious!!!! You look like a natural :)

A good family friend has a son named Cullen and I absolutely adore that name!

Michelle @Peachy Palate     at 11:52 am

Wonderful pics. Cullen is teeny tiny, absolutely adorable and well done on finding time to blog! :)

Madeline@ Food Fitness and Family     at 11:53 am

Love the post! It’s so fun adjusting isn’t it? Wish my hubs could do the nighttime diapers but alas he has to be at PT at 0630 and needs his sleep. You’re a lucky duck!

Cullen is just way too cute!

Marci     at 11:54 am

So wonderful to see everyone is adapting do nicely.

Clare     at 11:54 am

I have seen a LOT of newborns (had three myself) and I have to say that Cullen is exceptionally beautiful…but I’m sure you know that :)
Congratulations to all of you!

anh     at 11:54 am

oh my goodness Cullen is so adorable. He is a very blessed baby!!

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats     at 11:58 am

I love his little cocoon wrap! :) What a handsome little guy!

Antonia     at 11:58 am

This is my first time commenting but I just had to tell you how cute and beautiful Cullen is. I wish you and your family all the best!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen     at 11:58 am

Super cute, so happy for you guys!

Kat     at 11:59 am

The photo of Indy watching over little Cullen is so sweet.

Katherine     at 12:01 pm

I get so excited every time I see a new post by you. Cullen is literally one of the cutest babies I have ever seen!

How are you healing up? I know you have to be in pain, but it seems like you are working through it.
Breast-feeding still going good? I know some kids initially do good, but then people have to switch to formula for various reasons.

Are you guys getting all his vaccines, or are you deciding against some of them? Have you decided yet on circumcision?

Sorry for all the questions. I am in love with this little beauty.

chandana     at 12:03 pm

Congrats ! Emily it’s feels really nice to read everything is going on so well.

I followed all your pregnancy updates and still go back and read the week I’m in every week.

I was just looking and the picture of Cullen ( by a way a lovely name) and thinking how adorable he is looks and my daughter kicks in agreement :)

I admire you for the discipline and patience you have for being so regular with posting.

Cullen definitely has your forehead but I think otherwise he totally looks like his dad.

radhi     at 12:04 pm

congratulations! so happy for you guys! and glad to hear your sweet pups are adjusting well to this new life right along with mom & dad!

Jules     at 12:05 pm

Seeing him in the carriers makes me think of when my (December baby) daughter was born and I made all my (about 100 dz.) Christmas cookies and bars with her in the sling. I can just picture you in your kitchen cooking up something good with your new little one snug on your chest. Those were always my favorite times, baking and babywearing at the same time!!

You are so blessed!

Natalie Rae     at 12:08 pm

Which baby carrier are you liking the best- Ergo? Moby?

Love the weekend update :)

Kristyn     at 12:09 pm

Simply gorgeous :) gorgeous post, gorgeous baby, gorgeous happy family. Beautiful congrats. :) makes me so excited for my fiancé and i to get married and begin a family in the near future. Have a great rest of the weekend!

Marissa     at 12:10 pm

He is so cute!!

Tanya E.     at 12:12 pm

glad to hear everything is going well and life is “adjusting” pleasantly. It’s encouraging for me (a first time Mom to be)…

Kristin     at 12:17 pm

YAY!! Thanks for posting!!! those last two pictures are SOO adorable!!!

Morgan     at 12:21 pm

He is sooo sweet! Congratulations again. I absolutely love the swing too. Does it become a bouncer as well?

Marie Reply:

I was wondering this as well!! As time goes by, I would love a “baby product review” post!! And how is it going following the “happiest baby on the block” “rules’? Is that a Miracle swaddling blanket that you’re using??
So excited for you and Casey!! Congrats again!

Kate Reply:

I second this idea for a product review. My baby boy is due in February and is also my first. I would love to know what you are finding to be most useful for you and baby Cullen!

I will work on putting something together!

The Happiest Baby on the Block stuff totally works – it’s amazing. We use the Swaddle Me wraps – they are awesome!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga     at 12:22 pm

You all look so comfortable together and happy. Glad you’ve got the wrap thing figured out so fast! Babywearing is one of the best things ever but can take a while to figure out something that works for both adult and baby. You two look like old pros!

Gina     at 12:24 pm

I cannot get over how darn cute he is!!!

J @ Ess and Jae V2.0     at 12:25 pm

Love the look on the pooches’ faces!! Hilarious. Looks like you’re having a wonderful time. I’m so happy for you.

Christie F     at 12:26 pm

Aww poor puppies. My biggest concern is my dog too. Of course he was a shelter rescue and had been previously abused. He knows something’s different with me and is pretty much terrified of me now… so I am a little nervous that he might have a nervous meltdown and freak out. I don’t expect him to turn aggressive (the dog runs away from BUGS) but it’s still nerve wracking.

It’s so nice to be able to have help. I’m jealous! I don’t think I will be able to have any help the first week home :(

Audrey     at 12:37 pm

The two last pictures just melt my heart. I can’t get over how cute he is!

Kathleen     at 12:38 pm

Cullen looks like such a little snuggle bunny….love how he just curls right up on you both. Nothing beats babies in footie PJ’s, I melt. Happy to read that the pups are mellowing out. All 3 of them will be best buds before you know it. Glad you are enjoying your new expanded family.

ashley     at 12:44 pm

You posted more than I did this week and you have a new baby. Bravo, mamma! ;) All of the photos are precious but I love the last one where he looks so content in your arms. What a cute little nugget!!

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life)     at 12:51 pm

Isn’t it fun? I love having Hailey to take to dinner with us and on walks. THe mommy life is pretty great :)

Caitlyn     at 12:54 pm

I’m so happy for you, Emily. You, Casey, and Cullen are a beautiful family!! The second to last picture warms my heart because it looks like Cullen is about to laugh :-) So very adorable!

Gabrielle     at 12:54 pm

He looks so tiny! But what a cute boy – I bet it’s hard to let go of him after having him inside you for so long. You guys all look very comfy together – I’m sure the dogs will become super protective of Cullen before long, and they’ll have fun playing with him too.

Haley S     at 12:57 pm

Cullen is too precious! Glad to hear the dogs are adjusting as well. Can’t wait for more Cullen posts!

Sana     at 1:11 pm

Aww, your doggies will always be #1 in your heart, they just have to share the love!

Orla     at 1:17 pm

It looks like you are all settling into your routines well. Cullen is so much like his daddy. Your new family unit is beautiful, and the love just radiates out of the pictures. Congratulations again.

Kelly     at 1:18 pm

The picture of the FIVE of you made me smile. Fur brothers are the best!

maria @ a life to bragg about     at 1:19 pm

Omg these Cullen posts are killing me. He is WAY too adorable, I want to squeeze him! Plus, you’re making me super antsy to meet my own baby C! Agh Emily!

Lauri (Redheadrecipes.com)     at 1:27 pm

LOVE reading all of your baby posts and updates! Cullen is so sweet!! I would love to hear your reviews on some of the baby products you have purchased now that you are able to use them (Moby Wrap?) And I can’t wait ti hear how cloth diapering goes once you start doing that!! Thanks so much for sharing!

Kelly     at 1:27 pm

Love the pictures of the clearly nervous pups with their new brother! Beautiful family…

Raquel @ Ovenmitts     at 1:30 pm

Such a beautiful family! Hopefully I can experience your joy someday. Enjoy the rest of your sunday!

Dee     at 1:37 pm

He is just precious. Awww.

Tricia     at 1:40 pm

He is so adorable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And your family looks so happy and comfortable! But find a babysitter within a month you and Casey need alone time!!!!!!!

Erica     at 1:40 pm

So sweet :) I’d love to hear your opinions on the Ergo and Moby wrap. We’re researching all the baby-wearing things we’ll want/need and I want systems that will work for both my me and my husband!

I am planning to write about Babywearing soon! :)

Jackie @ That Deep Breath     at 1:46 pm

Cutest baby ever. So sweet!!!!

Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me     at 1:47 pm

Such a beautiful family!

Lauren     at 1:51 pm

I can’t get over how adorable he is!!! And you look beautiful!! I’ve loved every pregnancy post and now I love all of your Cullen posts. So so so sweet. Keep enjoying this time!

Jillian @ Reshape Your Life     at 1:58 pm

He is so tiny!! I love your little family! I’m glad the dogs are getting used to him, I’m a little worried when I have kids (whenever that is and if I’m blessed enough to have them) with my deaf dog…

Lisa     at 2:00 pm

So very very adorable indeed!

Jess     at 2:01 pm

Your posts make me so excited to meet my little Baby C (Calvin) in a few weeks!

Kristina     at 2:03 pm

Hi Emily! I have to tell you I discovered your blog over a year ago but only popped in every once in a while, as I do with most blogs. A few months back I rediscovered your blog and have been following it religiously every since. I’ve so enjoyed your pregnancy updates and anxiously awaited the arrival of your new baby like most of your readers. Not only are you a great writer but the content has been such a nice change from the normal food blogs I follow. Your blog has most definitely become my favorite, and I now check it every day. So happy for you and your family! Cullen is beautiful! :)

JCHokie     at 2:09 pm

Cullen is precious! Your family of five is beautiful. Congratulations.

Meagan     at 2:14 pm

I love that last picture, really cute!

Charlie @ the runner beans     at 2:55 pm

Such a gorgeous little family.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More     at 3:08 pm

he is so precious!

Jennifer (The Gourmetour)     at 3:13 pm

Yay! I’m glad I popped on over this evening! You all look amazingly happy. Much love your way!

Alyson     at 3:18 pm

My youngest is going to be 6 years old in 10 days, so I’m spellbound by how tiny Cullen is. It is, as far as I’m concerned, simply miraculous that they start out smaller than the eye can see and progress so quickly. But even though they’re so much bigger at birth than at conception, they’re still absolutely tiny. Makes me miss the baby days.

Nicole     at 3:19 pm

These posts are so much fun! I’m loving having Cullen around on the blog. :) :)
The pups are definitely getting used to him. Dog & baby pictures are the absolute best!

Ella, RD     at 3:25 pm

Do you have the Ergo infant insert? Just wondering if it’s necessary – I’m considering buying the Ergo.

No insert – I just roll up a blanket at the bottom to give him a little boost.

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count     at 3:52 pm

I love the look on Cullen’s face in the photo with Casey. Wonder what he’s dreaming about??

Emily     at 3:55 pm

You have such a beautiful family!

Katie @ SerenityintheStorm     at 4:26 pm

Lovely! And thanks for the update on the dogs. I was wondering about how they were adjusting!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie     at 4:54 pm

Aww, so sweet. Your family is adorable. This is the most peaceful and wonderful time of your life, no joke, it’s the best thing ever.

Lauren     at 5:02 pm

You have the most beautiful family Emily. :) Congratulations once again and always.

Lauren @ MaillardsMistress     at 5:08 pm

He is so beautiful! Congratulations!!

I’m curious if the stroller you have is suitable for jogging (eventually)?

Yep, it’s a running stroller!

Maddie     at 5:19 pm

Cullen is adorable! You, Casey, and Cullen (& the dogs!) make quite the cute family. I love reading your updates, and it’s good to hear that the transition has been smooth.

Shari     at 5:20 pm

You are giving me total baby fever :)

What an adorable family you all are. So glad you’re enjoying each and every special moment!!

Katie     at 5:21 pm

Cullen is so gorgeous! Your posts are giving me the itch to have a baby! Congratulations again. So amazing.

Katy     at 5:35 pm

i melt. love it so much!

Stephanie@mythornshaveroses     at 7:21 pm

Cullen is an absolutely gorgeous baby.

LOVE the turtles on the swing!

Jessica     at 7:48 pm

THANK YOU for taking the time to update us on how your family is doing! It warms my heart to see your pictures and blog posts. We have 3 boxers and they were cra.zy. for the first few days after we brought home our first baby. With each child, their craziness has lessened (we have 3 girls). I read your Twitter post about barking dogs and babies-ugh, I hear ya there. Running a fan for naps and bedtimes can work miracles. I also caution to always make sure he is somewhere safe on the floor. Our dogs go crazy and run for the door when they hear someone at our door-we have had several close calls with a baby on the ground almost getting run over by a dog :( Love the pics!

Brittany     at 7:58 pm

Emily,
I know everyone says babies are cute but the first thing I thought when I saw his first pictures is what a beautiful baby! He really is. Such a sweet face and beautiful skin. Congratulations!

Alaina     at 8:21 pm

This is just so beautiful! You have the most adorable family. :-)

I didn’t even think about how difficult it would be for the pups. Glad they are slowly adjusting to the new addition!

Elisabeth     at 9:03 pm

I just love reading the update posts about Cullen! He is so sweet – especially like the first picture of him with Casey :)

colleen     at 9:19 pm

Glad everyone is adjusting. Hopefully the pups can be trusted with Cullen. My lab was great with mine, but she was a female not a male. She always slept near the babies, let us know when we needed to check on them, was their play/climb toy, cleaned up any dropped food, and she loved the stuffed toys. Definitely continue giving the pups a little extra lovin’ so they don’t get jealous or Cullen.

Michelle (The Runner's Plate)     at 9:37 pm

I am obsessed with reading these posts about your “new” life and family!

Leah     at 6:43 am

You guys are doing an amazing job! :)

Shayla @ The Good Life     at 7:09 am

Cullen is the most beautiful, precious baby ever. I loved your preganancy journey posts so much and I’m so happy to hear you’re going to continue posting about your journey, now with of your lives with Cullen. I am so looking forward to following you along this journey and can’t get enough of baby Cullen pics! :)

Laura     at 7:31 am

What kind of stroller did you get? Do you love it? I’m making up the list for my baby registry and can’t choose one. Help! BTW–Cullen is adorable and you both seem like amazing parents. It’s so nice to hear how you are all (dogs included!) transitioning to this new life :)

Erin Reply:

I was wondering the same thing and found what she bought in a previous post :)

Yep – thanks for finding it Erin! Taking me a little longer to get to comments these days. :)

Christina     at 7:46 am

On my commute in I was actually thinking about how pets adjust to new babies…total random thought on the subway lol. You guys seem to be doing well!! And Cullen is absolutely a cutie pie, how are you taking all these wonderful photo’s? Sheer luck or are you a photographer in disguise :)

I just take a LOT of pictures, and hope for a few good ones. :)

Christina Reply:

Ha! Well it works! You have some amazing ones just from the few you put up on here :)

Carol @ Lucky Zucca     at 7:55 am

You just have the cutest family. Thanks for sharing your story with us! Every last detail is so interesting. Wishing y’all a continued journey of happiness! <3

deena     at 8:13 am

Beautiful Baby…. Beautiful Family……but those huge dogs are to close to the baby……an Animal is just that and they do animal things…..You guys should keep those dogs from your baby……he is so small and they are just to BIG!

Shannon @ My Place In The Race     at 8:22 am

Such sweet pictures :)

Verna     at 10:12 am

Do you have an infant insert for your Ergo? Are you using it in the picture? I don’t really like mine.

I didn’t get the insert – I just roll up a blanket and put it in the bottom to give him a little boost! My sister taught me that trick. :)

Amanda     at 10:28 am

Hi Emily! First Cullen is so cute and I’m loving these updates! I’m due with my first baby in March and I’m wondering what kind of stroller you are using? I was thinking of getting a separate jogger but it looks like yours is a jogger too? Have you thought about doing a review post of the things you are loving to use with Cullen? It’s great info for us expecting active Moms to be!!

Thanks!

We have the BOB Revolution CE. Only used it once so far, but so far so good! I will definitely write a post about our gear – probably over on Baby’s First Year, but I’ll link over to it.

Jesse     at 10:32 am

so glad to hear that life at home is going so well.

Kate     at 10:37 am

Looks like a Bob Revolution! What model is it, though? I can’t decide between the CE and the SE. Thoughts?

We have the CE! We got it because it’s a little smaller and we are TIGHT on space here in our townhouse.

Coco     at 10:43 am

Cullen is gorgeous- and you look great! I doesn’t even look like you had a baby!! I hope that I’m the same way someday.. I’m totally in LOVE with the star outfit :)

deva @ deva by definition     at 10:48 am

He is absolutely adorable! I love the photos of him all swaddled up, and Casey looks like such a natural!

susan hawrylow     at 11:36 am

This is my first time commenting on your blog. I have been following you for a little while now and really enjoy your posts. When my first son was born, we had a Wheaten Terrier (Chester), who felt very ‘put out’ by the new addition. I too had to eventually have an epidural (my son’s head was the wrong way around and put too much pressure on my back, labour pains were intolorable). My recovery was slow…I did find that taking Chester for walks with the baby reconnected us all. The picture of your dog lying so close to Cullen…we have so many pictures of Chester like that with our son. In fact, my son was crawling before 6 months…trying to get to Chester! Susan H. @ the food allergy chronicles

susan hawrylow     at 11:40 am

Sorry, I have commented on your blog…brain fog!

Sarah     at 11:42 am

You all much such a gorgeous family, I love the family of five photo with the doggies :)

Kelly     at 11:49 am

You’ve got some of the best pics of your new little boy! He’s so cute (and I’m not really a baby person)! :)

Brittnie (A Joy Renewed)     at 3:33 pm

He is so cute! I love your newborn photos in your other post. They are awesome!

Christin@purplebirdblog     at 7:02 am

Love it love it love it!! And I must say, you look FANTASTIC!! :)

Sara     at 10:49 am

I have so enjoyed your entire pregnancy–with the weekly updates, etc.–and really enjoyed your detailed posts about delivery. I am not pregnant but hope to be one day in the near future and it’s good to hear others’ experiences (I think). He is absolutely adorable and you and Casey and Cullen make an adorable family :-) (Plus the dogs.) I am really interested in how the dogs react to Cullen as time goes on. We have two dogs about the size of yours and we also have cats. Hoping that transition will go OK. Our dogs are the center of our universe right now.

Kat @ living like the kings     at 5:55 am

We love our BOB stroller!