Adventures in Babywearing: Moby vs. Ergo.

A few weeks ago I didn’t even know that “babywearing” was a phrase.  But now that I’ve been hanging out with a newborn for almost three weeks, I know that its not only a phrase, it is also a lifesaver

Cullen, like many babies, does not like to be put down.  He is happiest when snuggled up against my chest like a little bug – much like he used to be when he was still hanging out in utero.

Occasionally, he will accept his dad’s chest as an acceptable substitute.

2011-11-09 17.57.31 (640x480)

We have a nice little swing for him that he can be tricked into napping in, but usually his swing sessions end like this…

If I never needed to eat, use the bathroom, feed the dogs, or do anything else in my day, I’d be happy to sit and snuggle him 24 hours a day.  But realistically, there are times when I need at least one free hand, ideally two.

Enter babywearing

Whether I am in the house, working at my counter bar, taking a stroll through the neighborhood, or eating breakfast out in town – Cullen is happy and content when he is strapped to my chest in one of my babywearing devices.  My goal is to get him out of the house at least once every single day.  I want to expose him to fresh air, new sounds, warm sunshine, and different surroundings.  Having a few different carrier options makes this so enjoyable for both of us – our walks are the best part of my days!

So what am I wearing him in?  Right now I have two of the well-known babywearing items – the Moby Wrap and the Ergo.  There are pros and cons to both, and I use them for different purposes.  Here are my thoughts on each…

The Moby Wrap

When I put this on the first time, I thought there was no way I would end up actually using it.  It comes as about 15 feet of fabric that you have to twist and tie all around your body.  It’s confusing, it’s cumbersome, and it seems totally impractical.  I tossed it in a basket and ignored it for a week.

Eventually, after being encouraged by a few other new moms not to give up on it, I watched a few YouTube videos of how to put it on properly and tried it again.  MUCH easier than reading the instruction booklet.

Let’s look at the both the good and the bad…

Pros:

• Great fit for newborns – so snuggly and the lack of structure allows fabric to hug the baby’s body tightly.
  • Lightweight – lack of bulk means you can put an outer layer (like a cardigan or puffy vest) on over the wrap for going outside.
  • Inexpensive – at $40, this wrap is much cheaper than the Ergo.

Cons:

• Awkward to put on – even though I know how to do it easily now, the long hanging fabric would make this difficult to put on outside of the house.
  • Limited life – while this is perfect for my little nine pound baby, I can’t see me using beyond a few months from now.

Overall:

I tend to wear the Moby Wrap when I’m in the house working, because it’s more comfortable and less bulky than the Ergo.  I’ll also wear it out to breakfast or a coffee shop, but only if I can put it on in the house before we leave.  I like that it is lightweight, and Cullen sleeps really well in it because it fits his body so snuggly.  Honestly, who wouldn’t love looking down at this all afternoon?

The ERGObaby Carrier

I put Cullen in the Ergo for the first time when he was just three days old.  My sister, Rebecca, swears by the Ergo and takes my nephew everywhere in it, so I was hopeful that it would work well for us too.  I did not end up getting the infant insert that is sold as an additional piece.  Instead Rebecca taught me her trick – I take a baby blanket and roll it up like little log and stuff it into the bottom of the carrier.  Then I (carefully) drop Cullen in on top of it, and it forms a little seat for him to sit on with his legs dangling down the sides.  Works like a charm, and makes the bulky $40 infant insert totally unnecessary.

Pros:

• Very easy and quick to put on – a HUGE pro in my book.  Can easily be taken out for a shopping trip and put on quickly in a parking lot (unlike the Moby).
  • Zip pocket for storage – I usually pack this with my phone, keys, a pacifier, a credit card, and chapstick.  It’s so nice to not have to take anything additional with me.
  • Long lifespan – the Ergo can be used with newborns as well as babies that are several years old.  This thing lasts a long time!
  • Very versatile – we’ve only used the front position so far since Cullen still can’t support his own head, but eventually it can be worn on the side and the back as well.

Cons:

• Expensive – in fact, I think it’s the most expensive baby carrier I’ve seen.  With that said, I still think it is worth every penny.
  • Bulky – this isn’t as comfortable to sit and work in because the fabric is so much thicker and more padded.
  • Heavier – this could also be a pro in the dead of winter, but in the meantime the heavier fabric makes both of us much hotter when we’re out for a walk.

2011-11-10 11.31.00 (768x1024)

Overall:

I love the Ergo, and plan to carry Cullen around in it for a long time to come.  It is my first choice when going for a walk outdoors, mostly because it’s a bit sturdier and I really like the extra zip pouch.  Today I was extra brave and took Cullen AND both dogs for a long walk.  Everyone loved it.

2011-11-10 11.00.38 (1024x768)

My goal is to put my baby down as little as possible, and having wraps and carriers makes that so much easier.  I know that there will come a time when he no longer needs to be snuggled up on my chest.  Until that day comes, I’m going to keep walking, keep snuggling, and keep babywearing.

Kathryn @ Flopoodle     at 6:50 pm

What a little cutie! Why would you ever want to put him down???

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn     at 6:51 pm

AHHHHH. Omg he is so cute. Swear to God I am going to say this every time I comment but omgomgomgomg I will babysit any time seriously all I ask for in exchange is something yummy. I am easy to please. The Ergo is definitely not as aesthetically pleasing as the Moby, but I can see how it would last you longer!

lena     at 6:51 pm

Love the Ergo! It has been my number one recommendation to pregnant girlfriends. My daughter will be 3 in January and still asks to go in the pack and I still love “wearing” her.

katy     at 6:53 pm

Good luck trying to get him to fall asleep on his own! I took care of a little girl who was rocked to sleep every time she took a nap/went to bed and it was a nightmare trying to get her to fall asleep by herself around the time she turned one. Cullen is so precious though, I would want to snuggle him too!

Lisa @ The Splattered Apron     at 6:54 pm

I wish I had known about the baby blanket trick, I would have returned the infant insert! I just tried out the Ergo last week, I usually used my wrap or sling and saved the Ergo for my husband, but now I LOVE the Ergo. Caroline really enjoys walking around outside in it, I think because she can see everything from a different perspective than her stroller.

I’m with you, I wear my daughter as much as possible, especially since I have to go back to work away from her in a couple months :-(

Army Amy*     at 6:56 pm

I love the glimpse of the top of Cullen’s head in that last picture. I have a friend who is currently pdubs (aka pregnant) so this is good info for me to pass along to her!*

Carrie     at 7:01 pm

Katy, plenty of babies are worn on their moms chests as newborns and go to sleep on their own just fine! Emily, you look so blissful and happy in these photos! Motherhood suits you well. I’m a Seattle girl myself and keep thinking I will run into you one of these days in Fremont. :)

I hope you do – say hi if you see me! :)

Katy     at 7:04 pm

Good for you! I love babywearing and swear by the Moby! I bought the Ergo and returned it the next day – It was HUGE and so bulky on me! Different things work for different people :) But, my son is 7 months old now and still LOVES the Moby. I don’t think he has ever cried in the Moby – he is insta-happy and so content, no matter what we are doing :)

Glad to hear the Moby can work for a long time!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga     at 7:05 pm

I loved my Ergo and babywore until she was about 2 years old and wanted to walk :) I never used a stroller in the mall, on grocery runs, errands, etc. ONLY carried in arms or babywore. So much faster and more efficient. We saved the stroller use for runs and trails and heavier duty things.

Glad you’re a BW’ing pro already and have discovered the benefits!

Angela @ Pattycakesnpancakes     at 7:06 pm

I tried the Moby and couldn’t get it “just right”. Yesterday we got the Ergo Baby and so far so good. Thanks for sharing. You look so beautiful!

Katy     at 7:07 pm

Oh, and also to the other Katy (and an FYI) I wore my son everyday in the Moby for his morning and evening nap because I was chasing a 2.5 year old around and was rarely at home for 2 out of his 3 naps. (I still do most days and he is 7 mos now) He falls asleep on his own for his long afternoon nap and bed at night and sleeps 11 hours at night – no problems!

That is encouraging – thank you! :)

Katy Reply:

I know that holding/”wearing” your baby is beneficial to their development, and I’m not criticizing that practice. I just know from personal experience that it’s not always possible to hold them/rock them to sleep when they get older and you have a younger child to care for. I’m referring more to self-soothing, which can be a difficult skill for some children to learn.

Diana @ frontyardfoodie     at 7:14 pm

Have you thought about a sling? I thought the moby wrap was too cumbersome for me and the sling was sort of like a really nice and easy moby wrap haha.

It was comfortable inside, lounging around and SO practical and easy for the grocery store.

The other great thing about it is that when they’re infants you can have them laying down in there completely unexposed to the elements or sitting up, front or back facing. So versatile.

Jill     at 7:16 pm

Have you heard of the Baby K’tan? It is a similar idea to the moby, in that the fabric is snug/soft, but it isn’t a giant piece of fabric…it is 2 loops that you have to manipulate on your body to wear the baby in different ways…I just got one as a gift for a baby shower and really like it a lot so far…
I also have the moby and the ergo baby and like them too for different purposes.
My 2nd little dude was born on the same day as Cullen…I have enjoyed following your pregnancy journey as I was about a week and a half behind you…and since Cullen was a bit late and my little guy, Owen was a bit early, they ended up with the same b-day!
Now I am enjoying reading your baby updates :)
Congrats!

I will check that wrap out! LOVE that we have boys born on the same day – how fun! :) I also love the name Owen.

jenny     at 7:27 pm

so glad you found some wraps/carriers you love! and that cullen loves them, too! good for you all getting your first walk with the dogs… that is a big deal and one that should be celebrated! :)

StefanieK     at 7:29 pm

I have an 11 week old baby boy C, and both of those carriers. We use them very similarly. I love my ergo. I have become kind of a baby wearing addict now though and now I really want a woven wrap for back carrying, and a Beco Gemini which is just as easy to get on and off, prettier, and less bulky than an ergo, and has the potential for the ocassional front facing carry…it is, however, more expensive than the ergo. Anyway….I love reading your blog. I think because we share a birthdate (2/24/81, woot!) and have such close in age babies and I actually discovered your blog when I was on a 40 lb weight loss through running (half marathons) and healthy eating journey, I feel connected to your words. Anyway, happy baby wearing! I too LOVE it and can’t get enough. I honestly think we made a mistake bothering with the infant carseat…could’ve gone straight to a convertible cause he’s never in his seat unless we’re actually driving. For all things shopping, it’s ergo all the way! :)

BIRTHDAY TWINS! Love it. I’m so glad you found the blog, and have enjoyed it. I’m going to check out that other carrier too now…

BethT     at 7:31 pm

The Ergo has been my saving grace. My daughter is now 1 and we still go everywhere with the Ergo!

Megan     at 7:38 pm

I’m a huge fan of babywearing, too. :)

Courtney     at 7:48 pm

I’m on Team Moby. Lol! I had a Moby for my last baby and used it until he was a year old. He loved it so much and I had my hands free while grocery shopping. I had a 2 year old at the time so having hands free was a necessity! Whatever babywearing device works for you and your little one definitely makes things a little easier. :)

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie     at 8:03 pm

Aww how adorable!! I love getting to see more pictures of Cullen and to learn about baby wearing! Something I really didn’t know about before this post.

Tricia     at 8:14 pm

my friend is really BIG on the wrap. Not sure if its called the moby, but she wears it several different ways.some look like a sling around her that the baby lays in while feeding, some look like a baby back back, and some just snuggled up like yours. And she still carries her toddler in it.

Shannon Bell     at 8:44 pm

loving all of the updates! looks like you’re getting along great :-) also, love the pics of your sweet little guy, so special!

Julie (A Case of the Runs)     at 9:15 pm

This is a very useful post! Not like I have a kid or will anytime soon, but I’ve always wondered about these and will keep this in mind!

crystal     at 9:29 pm

I love Ergos. They’re great for back carries once they get older. I have a generic one and my 3 year old still goes in it when we go hiking.

ashley     at 9:37 pm

Ohhhh that sleepy snuggly baby. I just can’t take it. :) Both wrap styles seem really useful. The Moby seems perfect for around the house. Kind of like wearing a snuggie…but way cooler. ;)

Stacy H     at 10:29 pm

I really enjoy babywearing too. The wrap that I use is called the Freehand Mei Tai. My little guy is just over 3 weeks and I don’t know that I’d get any housework done without my wrap. Your little guy is adorable! Love your updates.

Candy @ Healthy In Candy Land     at 10:36 pm

Yay! I love babywearing! Babies are only little for such a short time–it is good for the baby and the grown up!

Elisabeth     at 10:43 pm

He is such a sweet baby (at least in the photos we see – sounds like the screaming lately has made him not quite as sweet all the time…) and I just love the first picture with the two of you :)

STUFT Mama     at 10:54 pm

He is so so cute! :) All my friends LOVE the ergo. I never had it- I couldn’t choose which boy got to be in it. ha ha! My friends even used the ergo until they were 2!!! :) You’re awesome for taking Cullen and both dogs for a walk. :)

allie     at 11:02 pm

Cullen is SO sweet and absolutely adorable, and you look just smitten with him in your photos! I am loving your posts! I loved the concept of the moby and when I actually took the time to use it, it was great, just a process… What I ended up using 99% of the time when just around the house was a ring sling (at least while babe was in the cuddly-all-the-time-stage, but even used it sometimes up to 15 months!). You should consider trying one of those- or a regular sling, but the ring always made it super fast to put on and feel secure.

I am considering a ring sling as well – something easier to just throw on for the grocery store or something. Did you feel like the baby was secure in it? That is my fear with the slings!

allie Reply:

I think they feel very secure to carry a little one in. I do prefer ring slings over slings that aren’t adjustable because I feel like I can tighten it for whatever position I use it in… that way babe feels completely secure. I imagine babe is totally safe either way, but for my own sanity I like a bit of control ;)

Em (Wine and Butter)     at 11:59 pm

Your baby is so adorable and you look so glowing!! My husband has always said he’s had a ‘thing’ about pregnant women (he isn’t a total weirdo I promise) and looking at your photos I can see why (neither am I, I also totally promise!). Ive also been looking at your recipe with apples and mash – SO good! I’d use regular butter I think, but definitely on my to-do list! Happy to have found your blog! :) x

JenRD     at 2:00 am

Great post and tip for the Ergo! Do you support his head with your hand, since there is no insert, or does he just rest on your chest? Also, when it gets cold, could you use the
Moby with a jacket on top, or blanket wrapped around him?

He just rests on my chest most of the time. I usually stuff a thin blanket down the front too for him to rest his face on. You can definitely put a coat on top of the Moby, but not the Ergo – too bulky!

Laine     at 3:13 am

SO cute! my sister’s wore their babies, too. They moved onto slings when the babies could comfortably do a hip carry, and continued to use it well into toddler-hood. So easy to scoop a tired kid up into a sling in your hip, than to try to just hold them there. I swear, she could still easily hold the 4 year old that way.

My little sister has a 10 month old, and she’ll put her in the sling to nurse and nap and my sister can still be outside with her other child or walking around and doesn’t need to be tethered to the house for nap time, or trying to get a baby to sleep. She just falls asleep in the sling. It makes life so much easier for everyone.

Babies are meant to be worn!

Caroline Calcote     at 3:25 am

We were baby-wearers forever, even through some of toddlerhood. It’s so nice to have your hands free and have a little help when they get heavier and it is hard to hold them for long periods. If and when you are looking for a sling for a larger baby/young toddler, check out the Over The Shoulder Baby Holder. Very easy to use and works for even a three year old. They can sit on your hip or it even works to carry them on your back. Also works for newborns. Those were our favorite carriers, but we also used a Baby Bjorn and then a Kelby back pack. Cullen is adorable!

I’m definitely interested in a sling too – I will check that one out! Thanks.

Brittnie (A Joy Renewed)     at 3:37 am

I have several friends that use both and love/dislike both for similar reasons. This is great info for me since I am currently 14 weeks pregnant and I am starting to research baby gear! Cullen is adorable but I think I say that each time I comment!:)

Congrats to you!!

Simply Yogini     at 3:39 am

Thank you so much for posting this! I just received the Moby at my baby shower last weekend and I still have the Ergo on my registry list. I was thinking that I would use the Moby while he was an infant and then move on to the Ergo, but your post has convinced me to use both. 8 more weeks to go until I get to meet my little boy and I cannot wait! Your posts have been so helpful and peaceful for me! Thank you :)

Verna     at 3:57 am

Great post! I have both carriers too. I only used the Moby with my son though. Honestly, I used the Moby until he was at least 6 months old. It really wasn’t any harder. I don’t like the back carry with the Moby though. I didn’t feel like he was on there safely and it was about impossible to get him on there by myself. I thought the Moby was too hot to wear in the summer, but I haven’t tried the Ergo in the hot weather yet. I don’t like the Ergo as much for tiny babies. I even have the Infant Insert but it doesn’t seem like her head is supported enough, like it is in the Moby. I like having her head tight against my body instead of flopping around. That’s just me though.

SmugMama     at 4:11 am

I am considering the Ergo, Beco or Boba for my second baby and I too found the same complaints with the Moby style wrap, that it was hard to get on and off and not good for quick trips, however, I did learn that I could get it all on and ready to go before leaving the house and then put her in it once we arrived and that helped. I really loved keeping her so close and I believe that all that closeness resulted in teh safe, secure, happy kid that I now have! She is happy with other family members and doesn’t cry if I have to leave her; she knows that she is safe and loved and that I will be back. I credit babywearing for all that!!

Not to mention, there isn’t any way to get anything done without wearing your baby!! I am assuming that this will be even more true with baby # 2 coming!!

Andi     at 4:20 am

you’re gorgeous Emily! I don’t think anyone would believe you if you told them you had a bay two weeks ago…. : )

Thank you Andi! I needed that this morning. :)

Suzanne     at 4:24 am

I used the Ergo and loved it. We live out in the country without pavements(side walks) so the pushchair was never an option for me. I carried my daughter everywhere, and it was great for walking the dog with too.

I did carry my daughter on my back right up to when she was 3 and a half but I don’t recommend it if the child is really heavy as I have damaged cartilage in my hip joints and I’m convinced this was the cause. Be careful x

But I still miss the closeness of carrying.

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life)     at 4:42 am

I wish Hailey loved the wrap! She stays happy for about an hour, then wants to stretch out and wiggle :) We’re having some good luck with the Baby Bjorn though. I think it’s because she can stretch out her legs instead of staying balled up.
The pic of Cullen on Casey’s chest is so cute! Is there anything more heartwarming than seeing your hubby with the baby? <3

Tricia     at 4:42 am

Awwwwww! He is just so darn cute!!!! I bet you havent gotten sick of us all swoooning over him! It will continue his whole life! What a little honey he is! Anyway, I wore my 2nd for several months too cuz she wouldnt let me put her down either. It definitely wears on you for sure after a few months. But now looking at you doing this, I kinda miss it! The other day I was holding her down in a sleeper hold trying to make her snuggle with me yelling, “Wait! Wait! You never would have done this 2 years ago! You loved me then! COME ON!” So, yeah, sadly, they outgrow it. Bummmmmmer. : ) Enjoy!

I will never get sick of the swooning. :)

Lee     at 5:03 am

Okay this is a really random question, but since you mentioned walking the dogs with Cullen strapped to you – how do you bend over to scoop the dog poop with Cullen there? This is actually something that I’ve wondered for a while!

Haha so funny that you ask this, because it was seriously the hardest part of my walk! First off, I let them out in the yard before the walk hoping to avoid the poop issue, but of course that didn’t work. You can’t really bend over with a baby strapped on, so I did more of an awkward squat and reach for the poo, while holding the dogs on the other side of me. Lovely. :)

allie Reply:

I used to step on the leash(es) so they are kind of looped around my foot- or if your dogs aren’t pullers you could stick the leashes on your elbow and use that hand to hold the baby/carrier- and then I would have one hand to reach for poo and one hand to make sure the baby is in place!

Ann     at 5:11 am

Perfect timing on this post, since I tweeted you an Ergo question yesterday! I’ve heard from other women that rolling up a blanket works well as a substitute for the newborn insert, so I will give that a try. My sister has the Moby wrap, but that still intimidates me, I’m going to try the Baby K’Tan and see how that goes.

Claire     at 5:13 am

Thanks so much for this post; I was only wondering yesterday which ones you were using. Love baby carrying; keeping everything as close to nature as possible. I loved Karen Ranzi’s book (Super Healthy Children) she talks about why baby carrying is so important, both for baby to feel secure and for their spinal/neck strength development. Her book is super!

Sara@BakingandWine     at 5:38 am

I have the same carriers and am loving both of them. I agree with all your pros and cons! Another downside with the ergo for me is the bottom strap riding up my hips. It just gives me motivation to get them slimmer though! Haha.

Elizabeth     at 5:40 am

This is a great post :) I wore my son from the day he was born until he was about a year old. He was born in July, and I didn’t even own a stroller until New Year’s (and was living in NYC). I literally carried/wore him everywhere, and I think that was a really great bonding experience for both of us. I had two different Mobys that I switched between, and I played around with a Baby Bjorn (so uncomfortable!). I am due with my second in a week and this time I’m going to give the Ergo a shot. I moved out to the suburbs and I’m hoping it will be a bit easier for outings when we are getting in and out of the car. It’s great to hear about your experience with it :) and congratulations, he is beautiful!!!

Amanda     at 6:18 am

Cullen is such an adorable baby. Whenever I see new moms out walking with their baby and dog(s), I’m always so impressed. That’s some serious multi-tasking. :)

Liz     at 6:20 am

Ok, now you’ve got me thinking. I am 33 weeks tomorrow and have pretty much already gotten all of my baby gear but had decided to forgo a baby wearing device. So in your opinion is it totally necessary? I am like 5 feet tall and have an absolutely terrible back so I felt like wearing my baby might be kinda painful for me. Does it hurt your back at all?

It’s definitely necessary for me, but everyone is different. One of the big features the Ergo promotes is that it is designed for good back support, so that might be your best bet. I have heard that the Baby Bjorn is bad for backs, but I haven’t actually tried it myself. My back doesn’t hurt carrying him, and honestly I think it’s less strain than having him in my arms all day long.

Dorsa     at 6:37 am

Super cute little nugget :) My hubby’s mom used to call him “snuggle buggy” sounds like Cullen is exactly the same :)

Kelsey     at 7:00 am

It’s funny, I’m not a mom, but a nanny and I love the Ergo! The baby boy in the family I work for is just over two months old and I put him in the Ergo whenever I need to do things around the house, it has such great support with from the straps to the buckle in the back. I’ll definitely need one when I become a mom someday!

Bre     at 7:08 am

Thanks for your ongoing reviews of what you like and don’t like, Emily. I’m expecting in January and your comments have been so helpful.

Sandra     at 7:15 am

Thankfully no one has posted on here that you’re “spoiling” your baby. You are giving Cullen exactly what he needs. Enjoy him as much as possible. The next stage will come soon enough.

Rachel @ My Naturally Frugal Family     at 7:16 am

I had a Moby wrap that I loved, and yes putting it on in say a parking lot is difficult since the fabric is so long.
That being said I used it until my daughter was about 14 months. She loved to be held and that was the easiest way for me to do it hands free when we were out and about (it can be tough to push a cart at the grocery store with one hand).
Glad you are wearing him though it is so nice for mom AND baby. :)

Lolly     at 7:39 am

If you ever want an excellent way to walk your dogs hands-free, I highly recommend this High Sierra Walk-a-Belt from White Pine Outfitters. I have a 75lb Golden and a 50 lb mixed breed and I can walk them hands free with this belt but I can still control. This saves my shoulders and gives me more control over them as well as makes poop-scooping logistically easier. Best pet related money I ever spent!
Loved this post–makes me remember wearing my son in a Snugli 22 years ago!
(if link doesn’t work…www.whitepineoutfitters.com)

Thanks Lolly! I will check it out. My dogs are such PULLERS though – I wouldn’t want them to take me down with them with a baby strapped on, haha.

Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee     at 7:49 am

The moby is definitely more stylish than the ergo. My mom had an ergo for my sister (which was just a few years ago, my sister and I obviously have a MAJOR age difference) and she loved it! My sister was adopted from china and we used it 24/7 touring china plus we got home and she used it a ton, especially when my mom was cooking or doing housework (cause you can put it on your back once the baby is older). :)

Marie     at 8:05 am

Good info — thank you. I just discovered the Balboa Baby Sling – check it out. Very secure. I think you might like it.

I’m interested in a sling too – I will check that one out! Thanks!

Elizabeth     at 8:33 am

Awe! Little baby Cullen is adorable and how cool that you were able to handle both the dogs for a walk. :)

Sarah @ See Sarah Eat     at 9:30 am

Love this post, so informative! Not pregnant yet but I have a feeling that I’ll be a baby-wearer some day :)

Kelly     at 9:35 am

I’m pretty sure you have THE cutest baby i have ever seen. whattt a munchkin! haha really though.

Emily     at 9:37 am

I wish I could babywear more, but it’s just not practical with twins. I haven’t found anything that I feel really safe with both babies in either, especially since they’re so active, always kicking and wiggling around. I will wear one of them and try to switch them off but that always leaves one in a swing or bouncey seat. I have the ergo, that i got for half off at babysteals, and I love it! it’s easy to use and they seem more comfortable in it than slings and other wraps that we’ve tried. It gives them room to lift their heads up and look around at what I’m doing too, which they love! Half of the time when they want to be carried around, I think it’s just so they can see more of what’s going on haha

Oh wow, I hadn’t even considered what I would do with twins. That makes sense! Someone should invent a double sling or something…

Christin@purplebirdblog     at 9:44 am

I can totally see the pros of both of those, and personally I love the word babywearing, lol :)

Kinley @ Better Off Barefoot     at 10:57 am

Oh he looks like such a little snuggle bug :) Love it!!

Lindsay     at 11:48 am

You won’t regret wearing your little guy Emily. I did the exact same thing when my daughter waS born. My husband and I wore her all the time. It builds such a level of comfort for them and such an amazing bond for baby and daddy especially. We also rocked our daughter too until she was almost 1 1/2. It was our choice and we chose to not do the self soothing “cry it out” aspect. I just hated for her to cry. You an d your husband will figure out whats best for your family, and although everyone will give you advice and swear by their way, the only right way is what you decide fot your little guy. :)

courtney     at 2:02 pm

Love! My baby did not want to be put down either, the Moby was perfect for us in the beginning. Then as he grew we graduated to the Ergo, which we used for years. We loved them both and would buy them both again if we needed to.

Katherine     at 4:43 pm

I have loved the Ergo for both of my boys! Just an FYI that there is a cold-weather cover that clips onto the Ergo. I didn’t know about this with my first son, but have LOVED it with my second. It is waterproof and keeps their little legs warm when you are out in the winter!
I think it was $30- definitely worth the money!

Bonnie     at 6:01 am

We called it marsupial mothering. I passed along my Snugli and my home-made baby carrier to my daughters for their babies. There are so many great options now. The baby wearing stage goes by so quickly.

Lindsay     at 3:06 pm

I really love that your goal is to hold/wear your baby as much as possible. I’ve done that for all my kids and I truly believe that it helped, at least in some way, to make them the sensitive, affectionate and bright little kiddos that they are. I always find it a little sad when moms hardly ever hold their babies because they think it will spoil them or they feel too restricted by it. They are little and snuggly for such a short time–gotta take advantage!!

Sara B     at 7:37 am

Have you heard of the K’Tan? I bought the Moby and hated it. The K’Tan is so much easier to use and you can put it on anywhere.

Deborah     at 9:31 am

Emily, What are your plans for winter baby-wearing? I’m trying to figure this out myself right now…

Kat @ living like the kings     at 9:59 am

We have the baby bjorn and I swear it was a life saver. Peanut was a tiny bit needy (ha!) in the first 3 months and I remember putting her in the carrier while doing everything else around the house. It’s amazing how quickly she would fall asleep without crying and how many things I could get done while carrying her on me. Thankfully she was/is a tiny little thing so the weight wasn’t so bad and it IS a pretty good workout :)

Zita     at 11:47 pm

Hi Emily!

In my opinion I think it’s not good if a mobile phone is so close to a little baby’s body because of the phone’s radiaton. I suggest you not to put your mobile in the zip pocket of Ergo. Keep it in your bag or jeans’ pockets.

elaine     at 7:46 am

Love this post, so informative! i also have both the Baby K’tan and the Ergo. My munchkin lived in the K’tan for 5 months, then we moved into the ergo (i avoided it early on b/c i didn’t want to spend more on the infant insert). and i loved that the k’tan was basically an already wrapped Moby (LOL) so it made my life soooo much easier. and i love babywearing! i think every momma should do it!

Sarah     at 11:46 am

Thank you for sharing the blanket trick! I haven’t tried out my Ergo yet, but Nolan loves the Moby wrap. My guess, based on your post, is that he’ll love the Ergo, too!

Babywearing Updates (and Videos!) | Daily Garnish     at 10:28 pm

[...] been getting a lot of emails and comments recently about babywearing.  When Cullen was an itty bitty newborn, he really liked to be worn most of the time.  He [...]

Lara     at 8:53 pm

I’ve read both of your posts on baby wearing now! Do you think if we are able to get both the Moby and the Ergo, there are advantages to both at different stages/scenarios? Also, I know you don’t have a Bjorn…do you think that is worth looking into as well instead or in addition to these?

I’m starting to work on our registry and WOW…so many products out there; it’s confusing!

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Homeward Bound.     at 9:04 am

[...] are all tiny and congested – adorable, but not very stroller-friendly.  So we went back to babywearing this week, and we have both loved it!  At home, I do most of our walking with the stroller [...]

Best Pushchairs for newborns     at 8:49 am

Hey! This is kind of off topic but I need some advice from an established blog.

Is it very hard to set up your own blog? I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty quick. I’m thinking about
creating my own but I’m not sure where to start. Do you have any ideas or suggestions? With thanks

Stephanie     at 9:54 pm

Cute little man! I have a quick question… I just bought the moby a week ago and no matter how tight I get it my little man ends up sagging terribly down to the bottom so his head is at about my stomach! I hate it! I want to like it and if he stayed put I would live the comfort of it. Any tipes ladies?? I have watched a many video and wrapping it right and super tight…

Shoshana     at 5:11 am

I loved as much as you’ll receive carried out right here.
The sketch is tasteful, your authored material stylish. nonetheless,
you command get bought an shakiness over that you wish
be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come further formerly again since exactly the same nearly a lot often inside
case you shield this hike.

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » The First Week.     at 4:13 pm

[...] also loves the wraps and carriers, which is great.  I absolutely loved babywearing with Cullen, and it is so fun to do it [...]

Stelena     at 11:14 am

Great post! We wore our daughter in the moby, then the ergo and a gypsy mama wrap for at least 2 years. My maya wrap ring sling was a lifesaver this second time around with my cesarean. It didnt put pressure on my incision and could use a few days after birth- just take breaks and listen to your body since wearing your baby still uses your core muscles. Ask your doc if you are not sure or have complication. So glad we have worn both our babies! Now i am enjoying woven wraps as well!

Reachout Wireless phone     at 4:09 pm

Reachout Wireless phone…

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Adventures in Babywearing: Moby vs. Ergo….