Time To Get Moving.

Every year on Black Friday I say I am not going to buy anything, and then inevitably I get lured in by online deals that sound too good to pass up.  This year was a little different than most.  Instead of looking at electronics and clothes, I found myself shopping on Diapers.com and buying holiday onesies.  Life has changed!

One of my purchases arrived yesterday…the Balboa Baby sling!

How the HECK does this thing work?  I have really been wanting a sling – something easy and quick to put on when we’re out running errands or grocery shopping.  I manhandled him for about five minutes trying to find something that was comfortable for both me and Cullen, but I felt awkward and he looked squished and miserable.  The sling was a bust.

I’m not giving up completely yet, and might try watching some online videos of how to wear it better, but I’m so frustrated that the sling wasn’t a better solution!

In the meantime, it’s back to the Moby wrap.  (Hi Indy!)

I put him in the Moby this morning and headed downstairs to enjoy our latest arrival…it’s here!

We got our treadmill this past weekend, and it has already been put to good use.  Casey spent the weekend creating this whole setup so that we can watch TV down there while we run.  We had an old desktop computer we weren’t using, so he mounted our monitor like a TV.  It looks just like a treadmill at the gym – awesome!

And now Cullen and I have a place to walk indoors.  He LOVES the motion of the walking, and the white noise of the treadmill puts him to sleep almost instantly.

I have my postpartum checkup where I (crossing fingers) should be cleared for exercise next week.  At that point I plan to turn some of my walks into runs, and get moving again!  I did a very slow jog to test out the treadmill after it arrived, and it was a quick reality check that my return to running is most likely going to be tough and sloooow.  Between my car accident and pregnancy, I haven’t really run in almost a full year!  Looking forward to changing that very soon…

Until next week, I plan to continue my daily walks – outside as much as possible when the weather cooperates, and indoors when necessary.

It’s nice to finally be feeling much more like my old self again.  Even better, now I have a new sidekick!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen     at 7:13 pm

That’s an awesome setup! We have a treadmill but it’s in our unfinished basement that we turned into a home gym, which is awesome except that my scenery is a bunch of concrete foundation walls. No tv unfortunately :(

Mara @ What's For Dinner?     at 7:16 pm

Cullen is just so adorable :) I’m glad you’re feeling back to your old self! You look fantastic!

Jenny     at 7:24 pm

Definitely look online for videos for that sling. I used one with a family I worked for (nanny) and it was awesome, but I used it with a baby that was a bit older. There are lots of ways you can use it and it was pretty comfortable. Cullen might not love it until he’s old enough to sit up a bit on his own.

Melissa @ HerGreenLife Reply:

I thought that sling was a bust at first too — had my little dude in all kinds of weird slumped positions. I found something online that helped. Basically, before you put the baby in, it needs to be a lot tighter than you think, so that the opening it basically straight across your chest, rather than angled. Then just cross his little legs and lower him into it, either facing toward you or away. I’ve been using it successfully since he was about 2 months, I think, maybe a bit younger?

Awesome – thank you!

Army Amy*     at 7:26 pm

I bet you are just itching to run! It might be slow going, but I’m sure it’ll come back to you.*

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn     at 7:30 pm

Ahhhh yay! New treadmills literally make me so happy. Using monitors as a TV is such a cheap trick — it’s helped my dorm room budget MAJORLY.

Ashley B     at 7:31 pm

I love your post baby body. Especially with your hair down! You still have the pregnancy glow. Or is it a complete happiness glow?

Aww thank you so much! Hopefully it’s a new mom glow. :)

Lisa @ The Splattered Apron     at 7:33 pm

What a great setup and solution–I am completely jealous!! Caroline and I are getting outside as much as we can but it is getting cold!

Amanda     at 7:34 pm

I tried that same sling and it was a bust for us too! Same issues as you describe. The Moby and the Ergo are the only carriers that have worked well for us.

Emily     at 7:34 pm

we’ve tried a few slings, but my daughter will scream her face off to get out of them haha baby boy is more laid back and will (sort of) tolerate it for a bit. We just borrowed some friends to try them out though luckily, because with how much they hate them, it’s so not worth buying one. I never thought they were super comfortable either :-P It’s definitely a lot quicker to get them in and out though! and easy to nurse, atleast for my daughter because she could lift up her head a bit. We walked around the house while she nursed a time or 2 which was nice! then she was done and started screaming again…ohhh little girl haha

Alexa @ SimpleEats     at 7:34 pm

Cullen already loves exercise…just like his momma!

Meagan     at 7:44 pm

That’s so cute and what a good idea! Treadmills and babies = sleep. Fantastic!

Noelle (@singerinkitchen)     at 7:46 pm

My baby girl does better in my sling that works WONDERS! My boss sent it to me after her daughter recommended it for me as a gift since she used it with her 2 kids. It is called Zolowear and it is even better , in my opinion, than the Moby wrap, even though I like it too. My baby calms down within minutes. Your baby’s head hanging out of the Moby? Awww :(

Sana     at 7:55 pm

Walking is so much fun! You get to think about so many things :) When I am running I am more worried about not falling over and dying!

Karen     at 8:01 pm

what kind of treadmill did you decide on? We are looking for a heavy duty one that can handle a lot of weight and lots of use that also folds up as compact as possible. Any suggestions?

victoria Reply:

I was wondering what kind it was as well…been casually checking them out, but have no idea what to look for…

Here’s a link to the one we got:

Here’s the one we got:
http://www.amazon.com/Horizon-Fitness-HTM0794-00-T202-Treadmill/dp/B003TNNPZC :)

victoria Reply:

Thank you so much…am this close to buying it and read the reviews and was particularly curious to know casey’s thoughts on the assembly….did he have any issues worth noting???

Stephanie     at 8:02 pm

Do you have a maternity/nursing boutique nearby, preferably one that sells the type of sling you bought? Before giving up on it, I’d stop by there with both Cullen and the sling and see if they can’t help you get it on correctly. I did this with my son when he was about six weeks old, and that sling was soon our favorite carrier. Good luck!

Good idea!!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com     at 8:45 pm

I always get caught up looking at Cullen while reading your posts. Love him :)

Amy     at 9:30 pm

I tried that sling when I had my first baby and same as you, couldn’t figure it out either! But please don’t give up on ring slings, they’re WONDERFUL for little babies (and bigger kids, too, in hip carries!) and sometimes it just takes the right sling and a little practice. My favorite is from sleepingbaby.net, and thebabywearer.com has loads of reviews and info for every style and brand of carrier out there and people there love to give advice, if you’re interested :)

Also, on a completely different note, I’m almost 2 weeks post-partum and I’m no where near even thinking about working out again, so bravo! You’ll be my inspiration in the coming weeks, I’m sure :)

Keri Reply:

I totally second sleepingbaby.net for good ring slings and thebabywearer.com for tons of helpful advice!

Laura @ Backstage Pass     at 10:05 pm

And your new running partner is adorable!

Carley     at 10:26 pm

AWESOME that you got a treadmill! How convenient!

Michaela     at 11:33 pm

hurray for the treadmill!
u know what I think, Emily, you look so complete now that u are a mom.

awww thank you so much. :)

Hayley @ Oat Couture     at 1:55 am

Such a good idea! I have a treadmill currently back in the uk and in storage but I loved it!! It motivated me to run so much more often knowing that I didn’t have to go outside and get cold/wet or whatever! I can’t wait till I have it back in my life! :) Glad you are feeling a little better each day! And what a cute running buddy you have!! ;)

Charlie- The Runner Beans     at 2:07 am

The idea of a treadmill at home is sounding really appealing after talking myself out of running in the rain this morning at 6.30am! time to get searching on ebay.

Laine     at 2:18 am

I love the sling! Keep trying as he gets older. My sisters both have the http://www.mayawrap.com/ slings. When I was hanging out with my sister and her 10 month old a few weeks ago I was taking care of my niece and trying to help with cooking and could not have survived without the sling! I was able to keep her entertained and have my hands free to prepare food.

It took me a bit to wrangle her into it but it was mostly a matter of getting her on my hip, securing the cloth under her butt, bringing it high enough on her back so she wouldn’t flip out of it, and then cinching it tightly.

Ashley @ Ashley's Green Life     at 3:49 am

Hey Emily,
I tried that Balboa sling with my daughter (now 7 months) and it did not work for me much either. I felt like she was super scrunched in it and when I tried walking with her in it on the treadmill, she just bounced. I got that one because it was reccomended by Dr. Sears, but it just did not do the job for me. It really hurt my shoulder too. My favorite is the Sleepy Wrap (very similar to the Moby, just a little more stretchy). Although they take a bit longer to put on, I love how they distribute the weight more evenly and it keeps our babies a little closer (and cozier) to us!

Love your treadmill set up by the way! I’ve got one too and I’ve put several things around it as well to give me the feeling that I’m in the gym. Hope it works well for you guys! ( :
Ashley

Christina Reply:

Yup, it’s important to keep in mind that all the weight in put on one shoulder so slings typically don’t last as long as other options like your Ergo.

Ellen     at 4:35 am

Hi Emily,

What treadmill did you purchase? Could you add under your amazzon store? It’s always easier to take recommendations from someone else than to do the research alone.

Thanks,

Ellen

Hey Ellen! Here’s the one we got…

Morgan     at 4:54 am

I don’t want to sound like I’m judging, but am I the only one that thinks that walking on the treadmill with the baby strapped to you doesn’t seem entirely safe??

Tash Reply:

I thought the same. It scares me.

I’m honestly just walking at a slow casual pace, nothing evenly remotely vigorous. Like taking a walk outside. I also usually walk with one hand on his back or neck, and the other on the treadmill arm. Trying to be just as safe as a walk on the sidewalk.

Tanya E.     at 4:56 am

You two look great! Glad the treadmill is a hit already. I will remember that for when our little one arrives! I never thought about the noise the treadmill makes being like white noise. Hopefully it will work for us as well. You seem so happy. Love reading your posts.

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life)     at 5:06 am

Love the setup. It’s making me really want a treadmill, too! Especially if it keeps getting colder. :/

Coco     at 5:07 am

Every post from you, whether it is a baby post or food-related, really brightens my day. Happy December, Emily. Enjoy this wonderful season with your family!

Katy @ MonsterProof     at 5:07 am

Great set-up!

Melissa S     at 5:12 am

Check thebabywearer forum – there is probably a babywearing group near you. I love my group here and they have been awesome resources for figuring out all the tricks.

I have a sling but didn’t use it till my son was older so I can’t help you. Until he could sit better – I used my ergo and mei tai.

Christina     at 5:47 am

We have used (and loved) our Kangaroo Adjustable Pouch. We used it with our first child for over a year (as well as our Ergo) and it carried her through a lot of our month long trip through Europe when she was 10 months old. I just found out that the company has since closed, but maybe you could find one on EBay?
They come in different materials, some with more stretch than others, and are adjustable by several rows of heavy duty snaps. I loved them because they could grow with baby but we weren’t left with a long tail of fabric all the time. And my husband (6’2″) and I (5’8″) were both able to fit into the same size which was great.
(I just did a quick ebay search and there are 3 or 4 on there. Just an option maybe. :)

Jenny     at 5:48 am

I am considering a treadmill purchase as well since I have a 8 month old baby and can’t really find the time to exercise. Did you do a lot of research on your purchase? Which kind did you buy if you don’t mind me asking?

Casey actually did all the research (on Consumer Reports), and this is the one we ended up getting:

Stacey     at 5:57 am

Your new sidekick is a handsome little man! And yay for the treadmill. I love how that TV is mounted right in front of it, I need that at home, haha.

I can’t imagine how you must be feeling…itching to run! I get antsy when I miss just a couple of days at the gym..I know you must be wanting to get back out there! I hope the doctors appt. goes well for you :)
PS. Good luck with the new sling as well!

Tami     at 6:03 am

Sorry to hear the babywrap didn’t work out! I have a friend who swears by her wraps. She gets them from an etsy seller and blogs about them a lot.

(I’m neither the “friend” nor the seller, honest!)

My favorite post about her babywearing is here: http://www.mrandmrswright.com/2011/03/tibet-jacquard-handloomed-baby-wrap/

And she gets her wraps from an etsy seller called BabyEtte.

Good luck!

I’ll check it out – thanks! :)

Dorsa     at 6:20 am

Super cute pics Emily :)

That is awesome you guys got a treadmill, I have been debating on whether to get one for a few years now, but I don’t have anywhere to put it right now.

Hopefully in a few years we will get a bigger house and I will have a place for it :)

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count     at 6:25 am

Good luck with your check up! That is so cool with the TV over the treadmill. Wish I had room for one. I make due with my stationary bike.

Kath     at 6:47 am

I’ve always said I’d get a treadmill or elliptical at home if I have a baby…so convenient!

Lee     at 7:41 am

Your treadmill set up is nicer than my gym’s!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats     at 8:42 am

That treadmill set-up is pretty sweet! And I hope your check up goes well!

Heather C     at 9:02 am

I have the same sling – it’s not the best for tiny ones – I found my son was finally comfortable in it at about 4-6 months. We used it a lot at that time – so I’d vote to hold onto it – you’ll love it once he’s a little older.

Awesome – good to know it might be useful eventually!

Ginna     at 9:21 am

I am inetersted to hear everyone’s reponses! I plan on registering for an ergo and moby but didn’t realize maybe I need other kinds of carriers too. I have heard alot of moms recommend the maya ring sling. And babywearer.com does have alot of helpful information!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing     at 9:27 am

I see a jogging stroller in your future!
I was out of running for about a year as well, due to an injury, and I’m just now getting back into it. It’s definitely tough but it’s also fun to push yourself at something that used to be so easy for you!

Candice @ Sailing on Paper     at 9:43 am

I think that walking is probably the best way to ease into your old running routine! Don’t be too hard on yourself–your body has been through a lot this year, but it’s also proven that you are incredibly strong. :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 9:45 am

I wish we had room in our house for a treadmill!!! Great purchase!

Stacy Kucharczk     at 10:24 am

Maya Wrap is one of the best ring slings. I used mine even thru toddlerhood. Look for Babywearing Safety on Facebook. The sling you just bought looks a little concerning the way it is made-you don’t want any fabric covering the face nor baby in a crunched/neck flexed position. (see recalls of the Infantino brand sling)

bitt     at 10:37 am

Hmm that sling looks pretty big. My sister had a small one that she used all the time. Not sure where she got it but I can ask if yours doesn’t work out. But i thought the moby wrap could turn into a sling?

I think you’re right, I think the Moby CAN turn into a sling. Maybe I should look for videos on how to do that… Good idea!

Amber K     at 10:40 am

I’d be way too nervous walking on a treadmill with a baby, but I’m sure you’ve thought about a safe way to do. I’d just be a nervous wreck!

Love the treadmill set-up. The TV definitely helps keep me interested.

JJ     at 1:12 pm

what about a baby bjorn..I use mine to run quick errands with my 6 month old and have been using it since he was about 10 pounds

Renee     at 2:02 pm

My one nephew loved the swing, especially to sleep. That little guy ALWAYS wanted to be in CONSTANT MOTION. Sounds like your little guy is loving the treadmill. What is it with little boys and being on the move?!?

Lauren @ HugsKissesNDishes     at 2:28 pm

The Moby looks cuter anyway ;) also in the last picture you totally look like you are missing an arm haha, or maybe it’s just me it took me awhile to figure out you took the picture with the mia arm

Tamara     at 2:38 pm

exercising with a baby you are seriousley a selfish person,

MA* Reply:

SERIOUSLEY! SOOO SELFISH!

(sorry. couldn’t resist. #learntospell)

Lacie Reply:

Right…you should totally be a lazy, unhealthy mom…?! Wow…

Staci Reply:

Are you high?

How is exercising selfish? I am walking at a slow speed – good for both of us, as he finds it calming.

Jillian Reply:

That is “seriousley” a bizarre comment :P Walking on the treadmill is probably less dangerous than taking him out in public or driving!
I can’t tell you how often I see mothers jogging down the sidewalks of Seattle with strollers. I think it’s a great idea to incorporate your exercise with baby however works for you- I know I would be doing it!

MA*     at 4:32 pm

um, can we skype when my little man gets here? i have a moby and i have tried to put it on about 5 times, all a bust. i don’t get it! xoxo

First off, you can’t try on the Moby while pregnant. The bump will not cooperate with all that fabric. :) And obviously there will be a LOT of Skype playdates!

Gretchen     at 5:15 pm

We got a hand-me-down Karma Baby sling, that we were at first totally baffled how to use because it’s just a cloth tube. After looking at pictures on their site and playing around with it, we loved it! My son would sleep in it all the time when he was Cullen’s age, and now that he’s 7 months we use it as a hip sling.

I will check that one out!

Paige     at 5:17 pm

Eeeee! He looks so snuggly in the Moby wrap! Congratulations on the new treadmill and yay for having a handy husband who can set up TV-watching contraptions.

Jolene (Homespun Heritage)     at 6:07 pm

The sling was a bust for us as well. I never got the hang of the Moby either but I’ll try again with the next baby!

I had to watch videos to understand how to wear the Moby, and now I love it!

Chase     at 7:16 pm

Love the new treadmill setup! Someday, I’ll have a place big enough for a treadmill! And I’ll blog from it while I walk slowly :)

Rachelle     at 7:18 pm

Love your treadmill, gosh I wish mine was even like 1/8th that nice!
I wasn’t comfortable w/ an over the shoulder sling until my son was 3 or 4 months… floppy head ;-)

Maybe it will be better then in a month or two!

Jennifer     at 7:57 pm

First, I do NOT think you are selfish for exercising. Slipping in the yard or on a sidewalk holding your child can happen of course but I think falling on a treadmill with a little one could be rather dangerous. Take heart..its all a learning experience. 7 years and counting here..despite my many blunders, my girls are still alive and healthy ;)

Thanks Jennifer! I honestly feel more risky when I’m out walking the dogs and they are pulling on me. But it’s good to be cautious and I want to make sure I’m always making safe decisions with Cullen!

Lacie     at 8:45 pm

I love the first pic of you and Cullen on the treadmil, his body looks like your cute baby bump!!

Staci     at 9:17 pm

I hope your checkup goes well! I just can’t stand how much more ridiculously gorgeous you are. Some women just were made to be moms … and it shows that you are one of them.

Aww thanks Staci!

Jules     at 9:39 am

I was always a fan of the unpadded ring sling…rolls up in ball and fits right in the diaper bag, and very easy to get the hang of. Bought mine from this woman years ago, and loved it! She works at home making these and they come out great!

P.S. That’s me in some of the instructional photos! I’m wearing a grey shirt with stars…just noticed she still had those up there! My youngest is 4 now, and the little guy in the pictures will be 7 at the end of the month. Holy Cow!

April     at 9:56 am

Have you looked into a Hotsling? They come in different sizes so you can get one that fits right and the customer service is awesome and will work with you make sure you get on that fits right. And they are so easy to use……just put it on, stick in baby and off you go.

Best purchase I ever made!

Amanda     at 5:47 pm

I thought it was kinda wild that babies fall asleep to white noise like vacuuming, driving and the television. I guess the quiet creeps them out because they are so unaccustomed to it.

A Day In The Life Of A Seven-Week Old Baby | Babys First Year Blog     at 12:28 pm

[...] – Casey gets up to go run on the treadmill just as Cullen and I are heading back to sleep.  He usually doesn’t go back to sleep quite as [...]

Meredith     at 4:12 pm

You probably don’t need one more person telling you so buuuut…
Don’t give up on the ring sling Emily! Ryland loves it! It took us about two weeks of in house wear to get extremely comfy with it. But it’s so worth it. Great for breastfeeding and naps on the go. Merry Christmas to your family! – Meredith

Thanks for letting me know! I still have it, so maybe I’ll give it another shot.

Today. | Daily Garnish     at 9:13 pm

[...] walked on the treadmill for almost an hour, listened to loud music and lost my thoughts in my reading.  And when I [...]

Postpartum Fitness: The 12-Week Update. | Daily Garnish     at 1:37 pm

[...] I’m outside.  This past weekend, my pace was between 8:30 and 9:00 minute miles!  On the treadmill, I’m still running closer to a 10:00 minute pace.  Now that I have tested out the jogging [...]

Sarah     at 7:06 am

Hi Emily! Just wondering if you still like the treadmill you bought. We’re thinking of purchasing one and I dug up this post of yours since I remembered you did your research before you got this one. Would love to hear your thoughts!