Week 2: Everything Changes.

I was having lunch with a friend yesterday who is 31 weeks pregnant, and so of course we were talking about all things pregnancy and baby.  While I was talking about my days with Cullen, I kept saying things like “well he used to do this…” or “now that he’s older…”  She kept laughing at me and pointing out that he is only two weeks old, but I’ll tell you what – a four day old baby is NOT the same thing as a fourteen day old baby.

Look!  He’s so grown up now that he’s already wearing PANTS!

Yes, the pants have froggy feet, but that is not the point.  In all seriousness though, I am truly amazed at how much this little bean has changed over the course of two short weeks.  During our first week, I found myself googling things like “does my newborn sleep too much?” because all he wanted to do was sleep all day and all night long.  Should have counted my blessings right?

Somewhere around day ten this baby WOKE UP, and now he’s so much more alert and expressive all day long!

So far he is not a difficult baby, but I wouldn’t say he’s an easy baby either.  We have our fair share of cranky moments (all three of us).  I’m still trying to get used to him being more awake and alert, and figuring out what to DO with him during his play time.  Right now he enjoys his Boppy, the Ergo, and looking out the windows.  He is already a big fan of the great outdoors.

The big excitement of the morning was his two-week checkup with the pediatrician.  I think all new moms worry about their babies gaining enough weight, and whether or not they are producing enough milk.  I’ve been obsessively reading breastfeeding books and monitoring his feedings to make sure he’s getting enough.

I was thrilled at this morning’s appointment when the nurse weighed him and reported he is a whopping NINE pounds and 1.5 ounces.  That means he has gained almost exactly one pound since his last appointment (3 days old), and he’s already over his original birth weight.  The doctor was impressed that he’d gained that much from just breast milk!  Must be a good eater like his parents.

I had my first new mom scare last weekend when his umbilical cord stump fell off a bit earlier than expected (8 days).  It was bloody and scary looking, and definitely made me have a “holy crap I’m a parent” moment.  Luckily it turned out to be fine, and now that he’s cord-less he can enjoy wearing things like froggy pants.

And what about ME?  I figure these updates will just remain a mix of baby info and postpartum updates for as long as it seems appropriate.  Hopefully I’m not still giving postpartum reports a year from now, but we’ll see how it goes!

I’ve lost another pound or two this week, which brings me to about 6 pounds away from my pre-pregnancy weight.  My hope is to eventually lose more like 8-10 pounds total, because at the time that I got pregnant I had a little extra post-car-accident weight on me.  But I am in no rush to lose any of it, and I’m actually feeling really good about the way I look just two weeks after having a baby. (He doesn’t hate me, I promise!)

I’m still very VERY sore, and while the physical recovery kind of sucks, more than anything it’s becoming more of a mental drain.  I feel really limited in what I can do, how long I can be out of the house, and what I can wear (one pair of maternity jeans).  I wish that going to the bathroom was not a 20 minute routine, and that I felt a little more like my old self, but I know that will come eventually with time.  I am trying to be patient.

Things I am loving?  I said it before, but I have to say it again.  I can’t believe how good it feels to sleep on my stomach.  Even with big sore boobs, I can’t get enough.  My bed feels so much BIGGER without my giant stomach, and despite my gross night sweats, sleep feels sooooo good!

It also feels great to be back into my old shirts and sweaters.  Pants are still an issue though.  I have tried on some old ones and I am discovering that even though I’ve lost most of the weight I had gained, I am much WIDER now, and nothing will button.  I’m not sure if this is a permanent widening or something that will go back over time.  In the meantime, I’m getting even more bang for my buck out of my favorite maternity jeans.

That’s all for week two!  Still loving every minute of being a mom, and looking forward to more out of town visitors coming this weekend.

IMG_3574 (640x640)IMG_3576 (640x640)

For more parenting posts and previous weekly updates, please visit the parenting page

Recent Babble posts…

Devon     at 4:24 pm

What a cutie! Love the froggy feet :)

Lee     at 4:28 pm

This might be a silly question, but what exactly do you do when you play with a 2 week old baby?

You guys look great.

Lee Reply:

Never mind, I just re-read your post and you said exactly what you do with him!

Katherine     at 4:28 pm

You are and will be such a great mom to this little guy!

Kinley @ Better Off Barefoot     at 4:29 pm

He is really starting to look like a little man now instead of just a newborn! So fun to see his eyes and expressions! Have a good weekend!

Marie@feedingfive     at 4:29 pm

Emily I felt the same way after my first daughter was born, all my clothes fit, but differently. There was a definite widening of my hips, things just kind of shifted. You seem like you are doing so great. Again, he is too adorable.

Leanne (Bride to Mrs.)     at 4:29 pm

He’s the cutest! Even in pictures he already looks so different. :)

Tanya E.     at 4:29 pm

Love the “cord-less” statement. Looking great. It’s encouraging to see that you lost so much weight so quickly and are feeling good. Hoping the same will occur post baby for myself as well.

Theresa     at 4:29 pm

You are so cute, I love your blog and your writing style! Cullen looks a lot like Daddy :) You look great and seem to be doing so well. Thanks for keeping us all updated it is fun to read about your new journey as a mom.

Clare @ Fitting It All In     at 4:32 pm

I cannot get over how fantastic you look! and only 6 pounds away already? you’re amazing! You both look beautiful:)

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy     at 4:33 pm

He’s adorable. Love the outfit.

Kendra     at 4:36 pm

I know exactly what you mean! It’s amazing what a difference a week makes! Your pediatrician’s appointment went very similar to our two week appointment this week. Kenley is a pound above her birth weight too and I was terrified she wasn’t eating enough! It’s so nice to compare our stories since our little ones are only a couple days apart! You look great! Thanks for the update!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen     at 4:37 pm

you both look great! Such a cutie in those frog feet :)

Kori     at 4:38 pm

Cullen just gets cuter and cuter with each post! You look ah-mazing!!!!!! I also love that color purple on you. :) Have a great weekend!!

Megan S     at 4:45 pm

H

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 4:46 pm

You look absolutely fantastic!!! I tried giving my sister a few pairs of my pants to wear (she was originally smaller than me), but same thing – she’s wider now as well. Must be those birthing hips! haha! I’m sure you’ll go back down to your pre-pregnancy body!

Megan S     at 4:48 pm

How do you make yourself do anything but stare at that gorgeous face all day? He’s so stinking cute! Also, this may seem like a weird comment, but it’s nice to see your personality/ humor/ writing style stay the same as everything in our life changes. I always worry about feeling like a different person after having kids:)

Krista     at 4:50 pm

Emily you look so great-and I think Cullen looks like you! You make me excited to be a mom one day!

Alaina     at 4:52 pm

You look so good! I hope that your recovery is quick.

It looks like you are having so much fun with your little one. :-) He’s such a cutie.

Liz F     at 4:54 pm

You look great, and baby is just adorable!
In my own experience, it took my hips 6 or 8 weeks to go back to normal after giving birth; it just seems to take awhile for those bones and ligaments to drift back to where they were before.

Amanda @ Sistas of Strength     at 5:03 pm

My baby will be 5 months tomorrow and I’m still finding many of my clothes fit differently, although finally better in the last few weeks. That buttoning the jeans thing is tough…just remember the tricks from when you were first pregnant like using a hair tie to hold your pants on. :) C is so stinking cute:)

Leatitia (The Sweetest Year)     at 5:06 pm

Cute mama, cute baby :)

I know it’s different for everyone, but I’m 4 months postpartum (OMG HOW THAT HAPPENED?) and none of my old pants fit. I’m still wider and only 2-3 pounds from my pre-pregnancy weight.

I’m thinking it might be permanent?

JJ Reply:

Same here. I keep waiting to go out and buy new jeans but now I am wondering if these hips are permanent?

Orla Reply:

Oh god, I really don’t want to be any wider than I already am! I’m very pear shaped and would veer into bizarro territory if my pelvis permanently widened :-o

Madeline@ Food Fitness and Family     at 5:08 pm

Girl I feel you. I’m 4 weeks post baby and although I’ve lost most of the weight nothing buttons because my shape is different. Ugh. I agree with you … Baby’s change day to day, minute to minute haha

You look awesome and Cullen is adorable :)

Shayla @ The Good Life     at 5:16 pm

You and baby Cullen are so gorgeous! And I can tell being a mother suits you so well – you look like a natural and so beautiful with Cullen – love it!

And you are looking so fantastic, I can’t believe your 6-10 lbs. away from your pre-pregnancy weight! I hope to do the same when it’s my turn!

Loving these updates and I look forward to them every week :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga     at 5:54 pm

Night sweats…oh wow had totally forgotten about those. For the first month or so after I gave birth, I was drenched. I mean…crazy. Hope yours dry up soon :)

You look amazing…beautiful and radiant. Especially!! after just having a baby.

And he’s adorable :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)     at 5:57 pm

Oh Emily, he is just precious! Ya gotta love nursing! I miss that more than anything. I’m looking at my 13 and 10 year old and they changes they are going through are freaking me out. My oldest is almost as tall as me and we wear the same size jeans now. His feet are bigger than mine too. It just feels weird. I love them getting bigger, but I really miss the little guys too. Enjoy Cullen!

Maggie     at 5:58 pm

you are doing so well Mama! he is definitely thriving :)

Melissa @ Hot Chokolate Girl     at 6:06 pm

Cullen is so cute! Love the froggie feet. :) Congrats on his weight gain! Yeah! Those umbilical stumps can definitely look gnarly when they fall off. Haha. And by the way, you are absolutely beautiful! Have a great weekend!

jenny     at 6:17 pm

love this post! you will be a bit “wider” for awhile, and your old jeans won’t quite fit, despite the weight loss. i remember when my first was 3 months old, i finally decided to just buy a new pair of jeans in a larger size (painful, yes). those kept me going for awhile. now that i’ve had 2 kids and i’m a good 2.5 years postpartum, i can wear my old jeans just fine. so i don’t think it’s “permanent” but it’s not a quick fix, either. i always kept a little extra padding on when i was nursing, too. my doctor said this happened to her, too… just a little extra meat for that baby’s milk. :)

you look fantastic!!!!!!!! and cullen, i mean, really… gorgeous!

krista Reply:

I agree with this! It took about 5 months for my hips/waist to ‘unwiden’, regardless of the scale. This is normal, remember that your body was growing for 9 months and doesn’t return back overnight!

jenny     at 6:18 pm

one more comment: see how day 10 is the magic number??? :)

Kamaile     at 6:20 pm

Kristin @ eat healthy. be happy. live well.     at 6:26 pm

He is so adorable! Glad everything is going well!

Angela     at 6:26 pm

I have to say, Emily, I’ve seen some cute babies; but Colin is just way too adorable. Those eyes – just way too much!

Angela Reply:

Totally meant Cullen; on my phone and it changed it. :/

katie     at 6:30 pm

I love the updates they do change early on so quickly and at around 3 months, or a little before, when they are smiling and babbling ….heaven

Jolene (Homespun Heritage)     at 6:30 pm

Its crazy how much our bodies expand after having a baby. I had a hard recovery too but thanks to a terrible c/s…my incision never closed! My hubs had to play nursemaid and do bandage changes..I’ll spare you the details but not only was there incredible pain for 8 weeks I had that nastiness of treating an open wound that got infected multiple times…

Sheesh, so much for sparing details! Sorry about that! I’m grateful that almost 2 yrs later its just a distant memory.

Natasha     at 6:55 pm

Emily you look absolutely gorgeous! Motherhood suits you well. And of course, Cullen is precious.

Meagan     at 7:12 pm

I love the pictures :)

Ceren     at 7:21 pm

I think you look amazing. If I didn’t know you, I would never think you gave birth just two weeks ago. No need to think about 8 pounds;)))

Sarah     at 7:22 pm

You look so happy! Congrats again :)

Christie     at 7:39 pm

I was the same way post-partum, dropping the baby weight very quickly, yet somehow seemed wider. No worries though, your body will shrink back to normal. Mine did. Some people try using things like shrinkees, which are basically a support band that sort of “sucks everything in”, but your body will go back on its own.

Cullen is precious! Glad things are going well.

Lauren @chigallauren     at 7:44 pm

I love reading all your Cullen/postpartum updates! You look fantastic and Cullen is adorable, congrats!

Katie     at 7:56 pm

Emily! I can’t believe how big he has gotten already! Soak in every moment, he will grow so fast. Hayes just turned 3 months and I have already had to pack away so many of his little clothes..I may have cried while I did it too:/

kathleen @ the daily crumb     at 8:04 pm

awwww! loving these new cullen pictures. what an adorable baby :) thanks for keeping us posted on the daily garnish family happenings!

Cindy     at 8:11 pm

Coming out of lurkdom to say this: You know more than you think. You’re doing great. As soon as the pediatrician says it’s okay, take Cullen outside every day, no matter what the weather. Also: thank you for teaching me how to cook quinoa. :)

Valerie     at 8:42 pm

Emily,

I’ve read your blog for a few years and followed your entire pregnancy. I’d like to say CONGRATS!!! Having spent years as a nanny, I must say, babies are the best! Also, as a native Californian, the west coast is the best coast! ;) Welcome!!! AND, Cullen looks a lot like Casey (as far as I can tell), have you heard that much?

Enjoy!

Valerie

Lindsay     at 9:01 pm

That baby is CUTE!! Makes me excited and even more anxious for my own, now-two-days-late baby boy to be born!

I bet the “widening” will go away soon. I think I remember that happening. Everything just got pushed out with birth, but you’ll get back to normal.

Candy @ Healthy In Candy Land     at 9:04 pm

I am amazed at how great you look after just two weeks! Cullen is gorgeous and so are you!

Victoria     at 10:06 pm

Ok, I am officially an obsessed fan. I love reading your posts. My baby days are long over, but, I adore my children and still can’t get enough of them. My 17 year old is always saying “Mom, stop staring at me!”. Anyway, I have sort of been freakin out because several times over the past few days when I try to get to your blog, I get the error message “connection broken” and I am unable to get on. Even going through Google. Anyway, hope it’s just a blip and nothing more serious. Your boy is gorgeous.

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com     at 10:17 pm

I love Cullen. That’s it :) Hug him for me!

Teri Walker     at 10:21 pm

Oh he’s so precious! That mouth!!

OK, I had four pregnancies (including 3 in 3 years) but EVERY TIME I forgot the whole post-birth bathroom madness. Forget labor (not in your case! Mine averaged 3 hrs, sorry!) — it was the bathroom adventures that would have put me off future pregnancies if I didn’t forget about it each time. God bless the warm peri-bottle!

Congrats, again!

Elisabeth     at 11:19 pm

Well, he may be only 2 weeks old, but I can definitely tell from the pictures that he’s more alert! He is such a sweetheart – the pictures of the two of you together are just adorable. You can really tell that you’re loving life these days :)

Sarah     at 3:33 am

I can’t BELIEVE how good you look 2 weeks after giving birth- seriously, amazing!

Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee     at 3:54 am

Ooh gurl you don’t look like you had a baby 2 weeks ago!!! And he is adorable!! :) I hope he lets you get some sleep. Again, congratulations!!

Ester     at 4:32 am

What a handsome little guy!

Tanya @ Vegan Faith     at 4:34 am

He’s beautiful and you look great Emily!

Tricia     at 4:59 am

I just LOVE his lips! He is just darling!!! Yeah, week 2 is when they usually wake up. I always called the first week autopilot week. I know what you mean tho – its hard to entertain them at this age. Especially when its your first. But you’ll get the hang of it. And you won’t stay wider – you’ll fit back into your pants! Just takes time! You look freakin awesome tho! I looked AWFUL for like 6 months. Lovin’ these updates! Keep em coming! I love seeing pics of him – he’s so adorable!!!

Sally     at 5:27 am

He is precious! He looks so much like his daddy, too!

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of life)     at 5:49 am

As I type this, I’m enjoying laying in my belly in bed with Hailey snoozing next to me. I love being on my belly again, too!

I also had night sweats and they freaked me out because I didn’t knowvehst were normal, but they seem to be gone now by 7 weeks pp.

However, last week my hair started falling out in the shower. Also, completely normal, but I was a bitsurprised at how much came out at one time. So be prepared just in case :)

Love seeing pics of little man Cullen. He is so stinkin’ cute!

Ashley     at 6:01 am

I have a 10 month old and it’s amazing how much I have already forgotten about his early days, what fun to relive them through you and Cullen.

As for your “widening” question, I can fit in most of my pants now, so the widening decreases some with time. I wore mostly skirts for the first 6 months or so though, as soon as I started running again and stopped nursing I saw the biggest improvements with the wideness.

Shari     at 6:03 am

You are just glowing from the magic of mommyhood! :)

Marilyn     at 6:05 am

Your candid posts about your introduction to motherhood are just so refreshing and lovely!

TeriLyn [a foodie stays fit]     at 7:09 am

oh my heck, he is so stinkin’ cute!!! I cannot wait to see him next week! And you too, obviously. :)

Felicia (Natural + Balanced)     at 7:23 am

Loving the updates. You are looking fabulous :) And remember babies grow when they sleep!! Don’t be worried :)

Mollie     at 7:43 am

You and your little one are adorable! I’ve just started reading your blog and it’s really inspirational to me as I’m just getting in to running. I’m doing a 5k at the beginning of next month and keep referring to your running page to keep me motivated! :)

I also wanted to speak to your comment about your baby gaining weight from “just breastmilk.” I very successfully fed both of my babies just breastmilk for over 6 months (I continued doing so after that but that’s when I started adding food – I’m still BFing my son!). Just breastmilk is exactly what they need and what we are designed for giving them. Don’t doubt yourself or think that breastmilk isn’t enough – you are doing great and you both will be much healthier for it! Just wanted to give you some words of encouragement. Good job! :)

Dorsa     at 8:06 am

Wow you do not look like you JUST had a baby:) You look amazing :)

Kelsey     at 9:03 am

You are such a beautiful mom! I am so happy for you and Casey and what the future holds with Cullen, he’s blessed to have such a fantastic pair of parents!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More     at 9:35 am

He is so adorable! I love these updates! And YOU are looking beautiful and oh so happy. :)

Beth     at 9:47 am

Thanks for more of your honest updates, especially about recovery. I’m just 4 months now and appreciate getting a sense of the reality of the postpartum days. You look amazing and Cullen seems to get cuter with each post.

What style Joe’s maternity did you get? Also, did you get your regular size? I’m on the verge of buying a pair and am not sure what to expect from fit.

Amber K     at 10:26 am

You still have the glow about you, but it has shifted from a pregnancy glow to the new-mom glow. I actually hope and pray that I will get hips if I get pregnant. I have NO hips (or butt for that matter) and I’d love some. I could finally do some pilates and yoga moves that I can’t do anymore!

One of the things I worry about the most (besides some of the scarier stuff) is about how I will be able to entertain a baby when they are that young. It all just seems so…boring. And I’d be afraid of boring them! Although I don’t think that’s really possible.

Chelcie @ Chelcie's Food Files     at 10:53 am

Cullen is SO adorable! He looks so much like you!

Emily @ The Divine Carrot     at 11:06 am

Thanks for your honesty and sharing your journey! You both look beautiful, healthy, and most of all – radiantly happy!

Michelle S     at 11:17 am

If you are that close to your pre-pregnancy weight, you will definitely fit into those old pants again! for me it took at least a few months with my first two pregnancies… my third pregnancy i had twins and so it is taking longer. But your hips and bone structure really do change so that takes time, even if the pounds come off. Enjoy your curvier self :-) I love your blog, thanks for sharing.

RachelSD     at 11:20 am

Wow, Emily, you look fantastic! Little Cullen is growing up and getting cranky… so funny how that always happens! Enjoy it– next week it will be something else. :)

Jean     at 11:27 am

Congrats!

I have been reading (and loving) your blog for quite some time now, but have never commented. I just wanted to let you know how happy I am for you, Casey and Cullen- these photos are just too adorable!! Thank you for all of your posts, I love reading them everyday! So happy that life is so good for you all. Enjoy every minute!

Heather     at 11:52 am

I cannot get over how adorable he is!

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile     at 12:47 pm

He is seriously way too cute!!! love it!

Angela (Oh She Glows)     at 1:55 pm

Oh man I cannot get enough of him!! What a cutie pie. The picture of you holding him while he’s crying is adorable. I’m sure you will whip out that picture when he’s a teenager, no? ;)

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count     at 2:10 pm

Beautiful pictures as always. Emily, thanks for sharing Cullen with all of us. You have no idea what a generous thing that is.

Natalie     at 2:53 pm

My baby is about a month older than Cullen so I was sitting here nodding as I read your post! :) Everything is very familiar!
I think you’ll gradually feel better and better every day…at least that’s how it was for me! Still a little sore and tender 6 weeks pp but doing SO much better in comparison to 6 days after!
I found this website when I was also wondering what to do with my baby all the time and if I was giving her enough stimulation/enough tummy time/enough cuddle time, etc. (all new mommy questions, I’m sure) and thought it had some really fun and good suggestions! Hope you enjoy it too: http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/development/letsplay/

laurie     at 8:15 pm

I’ve had 4 kids and gained 35 – 60 lbs with each pregnancy. Give yourself a few months to get back to your normal size. By the time each baby was 6 months old, I was in the exact shape I was before giving birth. I had 4 C-sections so I also had to recover from major surgery and that takes time as well. Plus a lot of women keep weight on while they are nursing so just be patient. I’m 50 now and my kids are all grown up, but I’m still a size 2. The key is to get back into shape after every baby. It takes time for your body to do that but with exercise and conscious eating, it will happen. Enjoy this time!!

Lou     at 8:35 pm

Oh the hormonal night sweats, I remember those, ick they were not fun! Don’t worry, the whole ‘wideness’ thing eventually narrows a bit, but I don’t think my body will return to exactly pre-baby, and honestly I like mine better now anyhow.
My little boy had that same little stripy froggie top – a gift from an auntie in the US! So cute. Congrats, you look amazing, Motherhood suits you, and Cullen is gorgeous – enjoy these early days, they get BIG so quickly :)

kelly     at 5:46 am

Love these updates! My baby is now a week old and I do the same thing.. “back in the day, she was doing this.. now’s she’s doing this!” haha. My question to you is.. how do you wear normal sweaters and still breastfeed? I have not worn anything but nursing tanks and cardigans/zip up hoodies since I gave birth!

Priyanka     at 7:48 am

Somethings in life are soothing, i was having a stressful morning and really, little Cullen’s smile and expressions have pepped me up!

Paula     at 10:56 am

Check out the book “itsy bitsy yoga” for babies. It saved my sanity when I was a new mom and just didn’t know what to do with my daughter!

Kathy     at 11:40 am

He is growing so quickly. You’ll be totally amazed how his looks change, how much he learns to do and how much your lives will change as each day passes. It is so funny to talk to “new” mothers, because they worry and fret about every little minor concern. We all did it. It just comes with the territory. But, with each child, we learn to worry less and less. Its amazing how resilient babies are. You will have many many extremely wonderful days and you will have many extremely taxing days, but overall there is nothing like being a mother. You learn as you go and you WILL be a wonderful mother. So don’t stress over the small stuff. You’ll have many years of REALLY big stuff to worry about later on. LOL I really enjoy all your posts!!

Kris     at 5:53 pm

Hi Emily! I recently had a baby – he’s 5 months old now. I just wanted to share my experience on your comment about your hips feeling wider and jeans not zipping. I know everyones body is different but for me it took about 6 weeks for my hips to shift back to pre-baby width. In fact, i remember my lower back hurting one night and realized the next day it was because I was actually feeling my hips close!

RJ     at 8:22 pm

I was visiting a friend in Old Town Alexandria today. It was a perfect fall day with tons of people w/ kids out and about and eventhough I do not know you, I thought of you and your family.

BTW, Cullen is adorable. ;)

STUFT Mama     at 11:01 pm

Oh yay- what a BIG boy- wearing pants and all.
Emily- you look great! Yes, be patient with your body. It takes time. So great that he gained a pound too! Yeah! That’s all you! Isn’t that crazy?
Loving the updates! I know you have TONS of support out there, but I’m here if you have any questions or anything!!!! :)

Katherine     at 2:23 am

first of all- you look fabulous! I hope in the future my body recovers like yours! And he is just a dollop of cuteness!

I first posted when you were giving birth but I have been an avid reader for over a year now. I have kind of a personal question. I’m 26, many of my girlfriends are getting married, and the topic of babies has come up once or twice. I must admit that hearing about your 55hours prompted me to do a little research and I am officially terrified. (Amazing what people post to youtube these days!) The whole idea of stitches/tearing has already given me two nightmares. I know you said you wanted to spare us all the gory details but when you let it slip that you had 15 stitches, I almost fell off my chair. I have a small build- is this normal? I know for a fact that I did extensive damage to my mother. Could you elaborate just a tad bit more on what happened? Was there an episiotomy involved?

Again, I sincerely apologize if this is too personal but I love how open and honest you are and I would really love to hear about this from an actual person rather than a website.

Very off topic- the pumpkin gingerbread from “oh she glows” is amazing!

my best to the three of you xx

Hey Katherine! No episiotomy – all just natural tearing. I can’t really elaborate only because I’m not exactly sure what happened since I couldn’t see it and so many other things were going on. I can tell you that it is painful and not fun, but obviously totally worth it. I’d still do it again. :)

Katherine Reply:

Thank you for answering. Well it’s official- mom’s are superheroes!

He is beyond adorable- I’m so happy for you

Charlie- The Runner Beans     at 3:04 am

He is so adorable. And you look great. Please don’t be too hard on yourself weight wise. Sometimes things just take as long as it takes (as you well know after 55 hours!)

Amanda     at 4:30 am

I understand the panic about the umbilical cord! Our little guy’s fell off on day 2 when we were still in the hospital. And even though he was my first I have lots of nephews and nieces and new this was not normal! But the nurses assured me everything was ok and heck then we didn’t have to worry about it falling off at home when lots of people say it falls off and you never find it! (EWW GROSS) But glad things are going so well for you! Sooo looking forward to my little guy coming! Only 2.5 more weeks (as I have to have a medical necessity c-section) He will be here on Black Friday!

SmugMama     at 5:02 am

I am so glad that everything is going well! It is really rare (at least in my neck of the woods) for a doctor to say that just breastmilk is enough, even though we all know that it is!

When my daughter was about 5 weeks only I was about 8 pounds below my pre-pregnancy weight (which to be honest was still too much, but still) I remember wondering why people made such a big deal about celebrity’s getting their post baby bods back super fast. However, my body did change, and I, like you, had issues getting back into the pants I wore before. I have to say that for me, the wideness did go away and I did get back into my old clothes, but it took a while. Of course, they no longer fit again as my body has started getting bigger and wider with #2!

Good luck with the recovery, you will find that once you are past it, you will forget about it quite quickly! Kind of like morning sickness – you think you are dying (as I feel at this exact moment) but once it goes away you don’t give it another thought!!

Kat @ living like the kings     at 5:42 am

You know what’s crazy is that you will continue to do this like every single week! Peanut is just over 9 months old and we still look at her and say, omg do you remember when she could barely pull up and now she’s a pull up machine? Yeah that was last week .

Maria     at 6:43 am

You look great, and so does Cullen.

It took a year for my hips to go back to (mostly) normal. I’m still not exactly the same shape as before, but a lot closer than I was at 3-4 months when I was below my pre-pregnancy weight and still couldn’t button the dang pants! LOL!

I probably am the anti-thesis of tracking everything for my son. As an infant, I didn’t count diapers, and I knew he was gaining weight by lifting him (and the midwife’s visits). The German doctors are much less obsessive then Americans I think, which helped me to relax! Also, breastfed babies gain more quickly in the first six months of life (generally speaking) than formula fed babies (your milk is PERFECT! Always! :) ), so it is no surprise to me that as long as he’s nursing, he’ll keep gaining. Good luck and enjoy this time.

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie     at 9:06 am

How adorable!! I love those little froggy feet pjs! He’s getting so big so fast!

Shannon @ My Place In The Race     at 9:42 am

You are looking absolutely amazing! And he is just too precious! Love his little froggy pants :)

Noelle     at 9:52 am

You look great! It took me about 4 weeks to not be in pain and 6 weeks to feel normal, its hard. The physical recovery is pretty tough. Sitting on frozen pea’s really helped me!!!

Rachel @ My Naturally Frugal Family     at 9:57 am

I think he favors Casey quite a bit, such a handsome little fellow.
I will never get tired of you posting baby things, as it is always nice to read another mom’s perspective.
Although I could do with a new recipe, but I know there is plenty of time for that later…bonding is so much more important.

Recipes are coming – I promise! Just taking a fews to get settled back in. :)

ashley     at 10:39 am

L.O.V.E. !!!!!!!! [Lame comment, but this update is just fabulous.]

Jesse     at 3:05 pm

what a sweetheart he is, growing strong by the minute! way to go mama! btw, you look wonderful:)

Alexa @ SimpleEats     at 6:42 pm

The little nugget is adorable. What a fun weekend!

nyc bummer     at 10:15 pm

What a cute little one. :) Yikes!

Erin     at 6:40 am

Congratulations!! I’ve been enjoying seeing your posts on your adorable little boy. He is just precious! You look amazing, too, happy and radiant :) You’ll be back in pre-pregnancy pants soon, although you might find that your body is just always going to be a little different than before (but wow, look what a wonderful thing your body just did). My first was more of a difficult recovery and I found the sitz bath to be a big help.
Thanks for sharing your little bundle of joy with us :)

Cheryl     at 1:13 pm

Emily…don’t worry too much about your pants not buttoning yet. I’ve had two boys and although it takes time (about 6 wks for my first and about 12 for my 2nd), you will eventually be able to fit back into them.

Erin     at 5:30 pm

Hi Emily –

When my sister had her first born, she was also in the same boat as you…she lived far away from all of her family. One of the things she did was to put pictures of everyone up on the refrigerator, and several times a day she would take my niece up to the fridge and show her all the pictures and name all of her family members. This helped her to get “acquainted” with her family before she got to meet us. I know you’re not upset about being so far away, but I thought I’d make the suggestion since that’s something you can do with him! Congratulations! He is SO cute! Makes me excited for my new nephew…another baby who’s going to be born very far away from his family. :(

Sarah @ See Sarah Eat     at 6:50 am

You look great and I’m glad you are feeling good too even though you are still healing. I love your updates!