For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

8 Weeks: No Longer A Newborn.

Sigh.  I can hardly believe it.  My itty bitty newborn is 8 weeks old today.

He started out as a tiny peanut who slept like a bug on my chest all day long.  (You can see a fun slideshow of his weekly growth over on Babble!)  Here we are at 8 weeks and he is full of personality and spunk.

He has grown SO much and has gotten so long.  He definitely doesn’t look like a newborn anymore, sniff.  I can’t wait for his 8-week checkup (next week) to see how he weighs in and measures up.  I have started referring to him as The Hulk.

Up until now we’ve been using disposable diapers, since I wanted a bit of time to adjust to life with a baby before taking on additional challenges.  Also, most of the cloth diapers were so big that they would have been swimming on his little newborn body.  Since he’s bulked up quite a bit now, I thought maybe this week would be a good starting point to finally give the cloth diapers a try.

Yesterday, I pulled one of the clean diapers out of the drawer to try it on and see if they were going to fit.  I snapped it on, gave him a pat on the butt, and determined that he’s probably ready to wear them.  Ten seconds later, I unsnapped the diaper and took it off, only to find it FULL of poop!  Seriously?

I guess it’s time to figure out the whole cloth diaper laundry routine.  Speaking of laundry, these pictures were also all taken today, but in outfit number two.  I guess that’s why babies need so many clothes!

It is just me, or does he maaaaaaybe sorta kinda look like me a little bit this week?  I swear I gave birth to this child, who appears to be a small clone of his dad.

But that’s okay, because I think they are both pretty good looking.  Every day he’s doing more and more, and just this morning I found him turned sideways and laying on his side in his crib.  The boy is mobile.

Breastfeeding has continued to go really well, and I feel so lucky that we have figured out a way to work together to keep him full and happy.  I’m starting to pump and freeze milk now just to have some on hand so that I can occasionally leave him with Casey.  It’s good for me to get away for a few hours here and there, and I think it’s good for them to have some time alone together.

This past week, we conquered our first night out, and Cullen partied it up at his first night with a babysitter.  As he continues to get older and slightly more demanding, I’m realizing how much I wish we had family nearby.  While I know we can do it on our own, it makes me sad that no one else is getting to see him make faces like this on a daily basis…

But we’re looking forward to heading back to the Midwest next weekend, and introducing him to all the friends and family who are anxiously awaiting his arrival.

As for me at 8 weeks postpartum?  I’m working on adjusting to our schedule, figuring out how to balance everything, and taking it one day at a time.  I’m hoping to have a fitness update for you guys next week!  In the meantime, I’m just counting my blessings and feeling so grateful that I get to spend every day with this 8-week old love of my life.

For more posts about life with a baby, visit the parenting page!  You can also check out this week’s Babble:

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats     at 4:57 am

Oh I think he looks like you! and I can imagine that’s hard without family! One of my friends from college moved to Orlando with her new husband, and now they are expecting their first child in February, and their families live in Kansas City and San Diego!

Sierra @ Posh Meets Pavement     at 9:26 am

So smiley this week. I agree he is starting to look more like you, but I attribute that to the smile. Serious faces look like your husband, but when he smiles, it more you. Too cute, count your blessings as they are abundant.

Kat     at 4:55 pm

Peanut looked like a clone of her daddy since the day she was born, but I swear with each passing month she looks just a little weeby bitty bit more like me

Gena     at 3:41 am

Your son gets cuter and cuter, Em. And such personality in those photos! Rare, I think, when they’re that young.

Heather     at 5:01 am

My question actually has nothing to do with your adorable Cullen, but where did you get that brown sweater? I love it!

Jen     at 5:11 am

Cullen is so expressive and I love reading your updates! I definitely think Cullen looks like you. Thanks for sharing your journey, as always.

SmugMama     at 5:13 am

I linked to your site on my blog today, hope you don’t mind :) I was thinking about your not having family close and feeling really thankful that mine is. I don’t know what I would do without my family’s support! They are hard to deal with at times, but I wish yours were close too, there isn’t anything like it :)

Merry Christmas!!

Dorsa     at 6:17 am

I love this :) and he is totally a bundle of personality :)

Jen@FoodFamilyFitness     at 8:14 am

I know I say this all the time, but my gosh he is so cute!!!!

Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction     at 8:43 am

I know I’ve said this before, but Cullen has got to be one of the cutest babies ever! His expressions are so adorable and you are great at capturing them!

Jillian D.     at 10:09 am

I LOVE these posts. Cullen is so adorable and I love hearing about your journey and experiences as a new mom. It makes me very baby envious!!

Laura @ She Eats Well     at 10:25 am

I mean, all there is to say really, is that he is just absolutely precious.

katie     at 11:31 am

Ahh….I can’t WAIT to hold him! I wish we were getting there sooner. And he looks soo much like you in that red star onesie! I think his face is shaped like yours, but in all honesty, I’m seeing more of you than Casey these days.

Lisa     at 8:47 pm

I always say the same thing about Liam – I swear I gave birth to him, despite that he is a mini version of my husband :)

Lynne     at 9:49 pm

A very late congratulations on your cute little boy! Blog reading has been low on the list for the last 8 to 10 weeks because of work issues….but things seem to be calming down, and hopefully I can get back to more regular reading. What adorable faces he makes!

Thanks Lynne!

CaitandAllie     at 7:20 am

Cullen is the most expressive newborn I’ve ever seen! You should make a flipbook of all his expressions. He is just so adorable and I love seeing photos of him and his little tummy. Congrats to your beautiful family!

fittingbackin     at 1:39 pm

SO SWEET – love the last picture with you in it, too! Adorbs!

Christina     at 9:16 am

Cullen is so freaking adorable there are no words. I think he looks just like Casey, with your coloring. Perfect mix.

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Eight Months.     at 4:41 pm

[…] actually feels hard to remember when he was just an eight week old baby […]

Sarah Rhynalds     at 6:25 pm

you are my new best friend! I have been so i need of someone to relate to…..and you are it! Huge Thanks! So thankful I found you……love Sarah and Weaver (we are in week 7)

Awwwww hello Sarah and Weaver!! My little guy is almost nine months now (how did that happen?), but we’ve had so much fun sharing the journey. Hope things are going well for you so far!

running shoes