Cincinnati Celebrations.

Sorry I have been away!  There is so much I want to do and people I want to see while we are here visiting, and it just never feels like the days are long enough to fit it all in.  Tuesday morning we woke up and drove from Indianapolis to Cincinnati – Cullen’s first road trip!  He screamed most of the way, which was no fun for any of us.  We also did the first half of our trip in SNOW, which is something we haven’t seen in quite a while being out west!

Eventually we made it to my mom’s house, where our week of celebrations continued.  On the menu – Indian food and delicious vegan chocolate cake (from Whole Foods).

The cause for celebration?  Casey’s 32nd birthday!  We ate, talked, caught up, opened gifts, and showered him with birthday love.  I think he had a good day.

Casey and I stayed up waaaay too late talking to Sarah before going to bed, so we all slept in a little late on Wednesday morning.  We are also trying to stay on pacific time during our visit, since we thought it would be easier for Cullen.  He gets to stay up really late with everyone else now while he’s here!

This was Cullen’s first trip to Cincinnati, and my first time back since my baby shower in August.  It felt so nice to be home with all my favorite people.

When Sarah came out for Thanksgiving and first met Cullen, she was a little nervous of holding him since he was so small (just 4 weeks).  Now that he has bulked up quite a bit, she felt much more comfortable with him.  I think he is feeling pretty comfortable with her as well.

That afternoon, the family fun continued when Rebecca arrived with Jonah!  I can’t believe he’s already six months old.  It’s so fun to have our boys back together again!

Wednesday night, Casey and I visited with all my best Cincinnati friends so that they could meet Cullen.  Unfortunately he was a big grump for most of our visit, until Lindsey soothed him to sleep in her arms.

It was such a nice evening, and so fun to see them and have them meet Cullen.  We have all been friends for so long, and I feel so lucky that these girls who have been in my life all these years are getting to see me become a mom!

After our visit, we headed back home to my house to spend the rest of our night with family.  Cullen has been a trooper, but he’s had a hard time with all the changes this past week.  So when the going gets tough, Cullen gets naked.

Since my family wasn’t together on Christmas Day, we decided to do our own celebration a few days later.  We had planned on doing it Thursday morning, but then spontaneously decided that Wednesday night sounded more fun.

We were only missing one thing – Christmas cookies.  Even though it was already after 10pm, Casey and I decided cookies were a must.

We made our own vegan chocolate chip recipe based on what was in my mom’s pantry, and loosely based off a few we looked at online.

The best part was the MINT chocolate chips my mom had on hand – so delicious!

While the cookies baked, we got started opening presents and sitting around the tree.

Eventually the cookies made their way to the table, and were all eaten almost immediately.  Tis the season!

Jonah was supposed to be sleeping but woke up around 11pm and joined the party.  He was so cute opening gifts!  Kids make Christmas so much more fun.

While we all hung out and did gifts, our little pea pod slept on his Boppy pillow like he always does.  I feel so lucky that he’s such a good sleeper.

It was totally nontraditional, but even though it was three days late and late at night, it really did feel like Christmas morning.

This visit is going by way too quickly, and I am already feeling sad about saying goodbye to family.  Doing my best to soak it all in while I’m still here!

Leanne (Bride to Mrs.)     at 8:48 pm

Happy birthday to Casey and Merry Christmas to your whole family! :)

Those cookies sounds awesome!

Lexi @ A Spoonful of Sunshine     at 8:52 pm

10 pm is a perfectly acceptable time to start baking cookies! :)

Sana     at 8:52 pm

I don’t blame Cullen, I hate wearing clothes ;)

Amanda     at 8:56 pm

Aw, Cullen looks so cute!

I am a new reader to your blog – I can’t remember how I stumbled upon it (maybe from the FItnessista blog?) and I am loving it! I’m expecting myself so I have really enjoyed reading the weekly updates especially.

I mostly commented, though, to say I am a Cincinnati native! I love seeing Cincinnati talked about in the blog world :) Glad you’re having a great visit home!

LOVE Cincinnati! :)

sarah     at 9:00 pm

so sweet to see all of you together. hugs to all!

Hope you and Kevin had a great holiday!!

Christina @ Just Running     at 9:00 pm

What a great Christmas!

-Another Cincinnatian

P.S. – I read somewhere that you went to private school here. I did, too, and I’d love to know if we went to the same school! Can you PM me the name of your high school?

Yay Cincinnati! I went to Summit Country Day until 6th grade, and then Walnut Hills from 7-12th. Where did you go??

Christina @ Just Running Reply:

I went to Seven Hills. Quite a few people left after sixth grade to go to Walnut. :)

Michelle (The Runner's Plate)     at 9:04 pm

Yeah for time with family and friends!

I’ve learned that with being married and my family now spread across the country means new traditions for holidays. It isn’t always how it used to be, but hopefully those new traditions will bring good memories too.

Ruth     at 9:38 pm

“So when the going gets tough, Cullen gets naked. ” lol! That’s too funny!
I’ve heard a lot about those mint chocolate chips, I’ve got to try them before the season’s over!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio     at 10:06 pm

You baby is getting so big! You must love being with family. I also adore yalls corgi! So cute.

Ami@dashofcurry.com     at 3:34 am

Cullen is so adorable! Enjoy your time with family and friends, and happy New Year!

Brittnie (A Joy Renewed)     at 4:04 am

The pics show just how much your family loves each other! So fun. Love the pictures and I love how you guys spontaneously opened presents late at night! I cannot WAIT to have a little one with us next Christmas (she’s coming in May!). I am sure it really does make it all that more fun and festive. :) Enjoy your trip.

Shari     at 5:26 am

Glad you’re having such a lovely time with your family!

sarah @ sarah learns     at 5:50 am

thanks for sharing your family time with us – it looks like it’s been so wonderful being by both of your families! :)

enjoy the rest of your trip!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen     at 6:22 am

I wonder how long this naked thing will comfort Cullen, that could get awkward later on in life ;) haha
Happy New Year to you all!

Delia     at 6:27 am

Hi Emily. I am fairly new to your blog, and I love it! I think its great that you celebrated Christmas a few days after. There is nothing wrong with that! I am in the process of becoming a vegetarian and also trying to get pregnant. I am wondering if you have any info on your blog about vegetarian eating when you are pregnant. Thanks :)

Leah Reply:

Hi Delia,

I wanted to help you out here because I really enjoyed reading about Emily’s pregnancy journey on this blog. If you go back to earlier posts she talks about getting pregnant and the months that followed. Each week I looked forward to her posts. You’ll find that many along the way are food related (cravings, what she can and can’t eat at different pregnancy stages). You could spend days and days reading all of this (and drooling at the food and laughing and crying along with everything that came for Emily during her 9+ months). Enjoy!

kristen @ verbs and vignettes     at 6:34 am

it’s sad that cullen screamed through the road trip. at least he’s a good little flyer… and sarah is not alone of being terrified of tiny, breakable newborns. hahaha. i love them. but usually i just play with their little hands and feet and otherwise keep my distance. :p

the impromptu christmas morning celebration sounds so fun!

Megan     at 6:42 am

Aww this post is so cute but made me homesick! I’m from Cincinnati too!!!! (Now living in New Hampshire). This was the first Christmas in years that I couldn’t be home for the holidays (lucky for us we were all able to Skype… so that helped!). Thanks for sharing your Christmases… there is nothing like going home to old friends and family. Have a great New Years. :)

Meagan     at 7:26 am

Celebrating Christmas can happen anytime! My brother got married and so we celebrate with them a day or so after Christmas so they can celebrate Christmas day with her family which still has some young kiddos. I was a little bit adverse to the idea to begin with, I admit, but now it feels totally normal. For me, Christmas is all about the birth of Jesus and spending time with family, I could care less about gifts. Getting to see my brother and sister in law was a treat in itself!

Also, I can’t help but wonder how Cullen’s love of being naked is going to be passed around the dinner table when he’s older and asking what he was like as a baby. HILARIOUS!

Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee     at 8:03 am

Awww Cullen is cuter and cuter in every post! The vegan chocolate cake looks amazing. Have fun in Cinci and happy new year! :)

Kim     at 8:05 am

happy belated birthday to Casey! and your untraditional Christmas sounds like it was awesome anyway!

EMily     at 9:55 am

Welcome back to Ohio! Glad to see you enjoyed your time here, as always!

Emily (Edible Psychology)     at 10:18 am

Sometimes non-traditional is the best kind of celebration. I am really glad you got to see your family for the holidays. Enjoy your time with everyone! I have just left my family after a visit home, and it always goes by far too fast!

~Emily~

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama     at 11:11 am

My family is spread throughout the country as well. This year we weren’t able to be together for Christmas but thankfully there is Skype. Christmas morning my parents got to see the kids open all their presents. It was so cute to see them run to the computer to show Grandma and Grandpa what they got! Enjoy the rest of the time with your family and friends!

Alex @ Raw Recovery     at 11:29 am

Cullen just keeps getting cuter and cuter! I think it is always nice to have a second Christmas celebration because it’s fun to prolong the festivities. Mint chocolate chips sound amazing! Peppermint and chocolate make a great pair.

Emily     at 1:42 pm

It cracks me up that when the going gets rough Cullen likes to put on his birthday suit! Haha I love reading your posts. Merry Christmas to you all and Happy Birthday to Casey! I just signed up for my first half-marathon! The Capital City Half Marathon in Columbus and I cannot wait! Have you done that one in the past?? I’m excited, I got my mom to sign up for the 5k too :)

Merry Christmas again!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats     at 6:56 am

sounds like a wonderful second christmas! Lucky Cullen got 2 first Christmases!

Mom     at 8:17 am

miss you…come back

Sinead     at 10:27 am

Beautiful corgi!

[New Balance] Nicole     at 10:29 am

Love all your pictures! Glad you had a great time with family :) Happy New Year!

Dorsa     at 1:38 pm

Happy New year to you and your family Emily!

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables     at 4:09 pm

Cullen is adorable Emily! Enjoy this time with your family.

Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous!     at 4:22 pm

Happy Birthday Casey!! I LOVE the picture of cullen wraped up in his boppy! Too cute for words!

Leah     at 6:13 pm

Welcome to 2012, little pea pod!

Masha     at 7:21 pm

Love Sarah’s sweater! Where is it from?

Sarah Reply:

Nordstrom rack!

eva trio amfio porcelain     at 7:29 am

If some one needs expert view regarding running a blog then i propose him/her to go to see this website,
Keep up the pleasant work.