Postpartum Workouts: Round Two

Earlier in the week, I shared my first attempt at postpartum running.  Your comments helped me realize that I’m definitely not alone in feeling slightly uncomfortable and loose inside!  Why doesn’t anyone talk about this stuff?  When I was pregnant, no one warned me that my insides would feel like a game of Operation afterwards!

Aaaaanyways.  Casey worked from home today, which allowed me to have an extra hour to myself in the morning so I could get in a workout.  I jumped out of bed, put on TWO sports bras this time, and headed back down to the basement.

My new postpartum workout plan looks like this:

• 5 minute warm-up walk (on treadmill)
  • 10 pushups
  • 10 sit-ups
  • 1 mile walk/run
  • repeat three times!

Casey is doing at-home workouts too now that we have the treadmill, and he’s following the same plan.  He gets up at 5:30 (yikes!) and does his workout, and then when he comes upstairs to shower and get ready, I go down to do mine.  He suggested the guidelines for the workout, although is original plan was for me to do 25 sit-ups.  More on that in a minute…

My second “run” was not awesome, but it was definitely better.  I ran in half-mile increments, and took short walking breaks in between.  I definitely felt more comfortable at the 10:00 minute mile pace this time, but still didn’t feel like I could run for more than a few minutes in between.  And how did the strength training go?

I kept up with weights and strength training until around week 36 of my pregnancy, so I figured I’d still be in decent shape.  Wrong again!  I grunted through ten pushups with shaky arms, and then collapsed on the carpet.  Moving right along to sit-ups, I literally gasped at the first one.  Not surprising, my abs are non-existent after being buried beneath a baby for nine months.  Twenty five sit-ups quickly turned into a grueling ten, and by the third set I was barely able to finish them.  Crazy.

So what went better this time?  For starters, my boobs were much more under control with the double bra trick.  I’m going to take all your awesome bra feedback and get a few new ones eventually, but in the meantime doubling up will work as a temporary solution.

Also, I think knowing it was going to be terrible going into it made it much less upsetting.  I knew it would be tough and it was.  But I did it, and that’s all I really cared about.  Success!

One of my big worries about returning to exercise is somehow having it interfere with what is currently (crosses fingers) successful breastfeeding.  If for some reason my milk supply decreases (I have heard this can happen?), I’ll have to reconsider my workout schedule.  I’m trying to ease back in slowly and make sure I’m continuing to eat A LOT.

Post-workout breakfast included a giant fruit smoothie and a large bowl of oatmeal.  Like I said before, I’m sort of paranoid about the whole milk supply thing, so I’m eating oatmeal every single day (it naturally stimulates lactation).

And finally, this has nothing to do with my postpartum workouts, but I can’t help myself from telling you that Cullen wore his first pair of baby jeans today.  BABY JEANS.  Seriously, I just die from the cuteness.

I’m excited to have a loose workout plan now, and I’m looking forward to seeing how things progress as I keep going.  And it’s extra motivating to know that while I’m working out, there’s a cute baby in tiny jeans waiting for me upstairs.

He is the cutest in those little jeans. A baby in jeans? Adorable!

Good for you for slowly working your way back into the fitness groove.

Kate (What Kate is Cooking)     at 10:54 pm

I love the jeans! I love babies in jeans and overalls :)

Elisabeth     at 10:55 pm

Ahhhh! I love tiny jeans – even the toddler ones are adorable. I love to buy them for my godson (4) and his sister (5) :D

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie     at 11:03 pm

Those little jeans are too cute! Cullen looks adorable!

And way to go girl!! Its seriously inspiring seeing you get back to exercising!

Lucia     at 11:16 pm

A few weeks from now you will look back at these posts and be yourself inspired by your progress. I’m cheering for you Emily. And Cullen is of course adorable in his jeans :)

Candy @ Healthy In Candy Land     at 11:22 pm

Wait until you get him in his first pair of denim overalls! Omg.

Great job on getting back to working out, doing it slowly and listening to your body.

Lauren     at 11:28 pm

Yay for completing the workout routine! Well done!! Keep at it, in a few weeks you’ll look back to now and be amazed at the progress. Your little baby is so cute!! Those jeans are 100% adorable :) Enjoy him!! Thanks for sharing :)

jenny     at 11:34 pm

awesome, emily! keep it up, do what feels right. you will eventually be right back where you were and this adjustment will all be a blur. i am now in better shape than i was before i had the girls, but in the postpartum days, you could not have convinced me that would eventually be the case!

and OMG the baby jeans. i remember putting both my girls in jeans for the first time and taking a million photos. just something about it!!! he is adorable!!

Claire     at 12:25 am

Hi, long time reader, first comment. Just wanted to check that you have been OKed to do sit ups. In pregnancy the rectus abdominus muscle (the main muscle that runs straight down the middle of your stomach in two parallel bellies that is responsible for the six pack if you are lucky enough to have one) separates down the middle of your belly during pregnancy to allow room for your growing baby. It takes a while for this separation to come back together post partum. A good test to see if it is back together is to lie on your back with knees bent, then carefully lift your head by rolling your chin towards your chest. While lifting, press your fingers down into the middle of your belly just below your belly button. If you can feel a gap, you definitely shouldn’t be doing any sit ups. First you need to strengthen your deeper abs that act to draw in the waist. You should be able to google postpatrun ab exercises to find out what to do to build these up. If you go back to sit ups before the separation has been reversed, you are at risk of having your belly bulge at the separation which can be a cause of ongoing protruding belly in mums – definitely something to avoid. Anyway, you probably know all this, but just wanted to make sure!

Paige Reply:

I have heard this too! Might need to modify those sit-ups to something else. Maybe a plank?

Melissa @ HerGreenLife Reply:

Yeah, I waited until 3 months postpartum to do crunch-type moves, just to be on the safe side. I had heard there was a risk of uterine prolapse, probably for the reasons in Claire’s explanation. Until then, I did planks and some basic abdominal contractions while lying on my back (just tightening the muscles, which you can really do anywhere, anytime throughout the day).

I had no idea – so glad you guys all told me! :)

Faith Reply:

I was going to post the same comment, anything more than a 1 finger gap between your muscles when you do the test means that you shouldn’t do any flexion exercises yet. Instead, you want to work on stability through planks, hands and knees with opposite arm and leg lifted, sitting on an exercise ball, or any Pilates exercises that do not involve flexion of the spine (the crunch position). I teach Pilates and have worked with postpartum women to get them moving again, e-mail me if you have any questions!

Faith Reply:

P.S Pilates exercises place a lot of focus on the muscles of your pelvic floor. Strengthening these muscles will help your insides move back into place and help you get over the sloshing organs feeling. Sorry but I love to plug the amazing benefits of Pilates whenever I can!

Christina @ Just Running Reply:

I was going to say the same thing!

Emily, I really love your blog. I wish I would have had one like it to read during my pregnancy and when my boy was a baby. Keep up the good work!

Thanks Christina!

Colleen Reply:

Great advice Claire!

meghan Reply:

Yes, I was going to do the same thing. My midwife said that doing abs too early will actually make things WORSE and take much longer to heal. There are a bunch of other exercises you can be working on (many or like deep breathing and such) to get things stronger and to make the gap go away. It takes awhile and it is tough to be patient with this (it was for me at least). I am surprised your doc didn’t say anything to you at your check-up!

Thanks Meghan! I’m lucky to have experienced moms to help me with this stuff!

Hi Claire, you are awesome! I actually did NOT know about this, and it shows I still have so much to learn about this mom stuff. You are right – big huge gap, and no more sit-ups for me. I really appreciate your comment!

Claire Reply:

You’re most welcome Emily. I thoroughly enjoy reading your blog all the way over here in Australia – isn’t the internet a wonderful thing!

Claire     at 12:26 am

*postpartum

Nine Reply:

Amen to Claire’s comment, girl knows what she’s talking about!
Also remember when you start lifting weights again that relaxin is still produced while you are breastfeeding – take care to protect your joints. I didn’t, and my shoulder still lets me know how unimpressed it was with that.
And water water water was what my LC told me when I started exercising again. (Because apparently my belly wasn’t sloshing enough!)

Tricia Reply:

Yes, I was going to mention this too. My abs were WAAAAY separated after my 1st was born. it took a lonnnnnng time for them to go back together. Definitely google ab exercises for it. I did a lot of isometric hold type stuff – like Bar Method and Core Fusion which I think helped immensely for fixing the creepy gap!

Cullen looks adorable in those jeans! He seriously makes me want to squeal out loud!!! He’ll probably get that his whole like from girls! LOL

Thank you guys!! This is really helpful. :)

J.A.     at 1:22 am

First time commenter here as well and was chiming in to say exactly what Claire said! Traditional situps are really not the AB exerrcise you should be focusing on postpartum. Look around on the Internet for ideas that will get you firmed up ina healthi way!

Sara     at 1:58 am

Have thought about wearing a belly wrap? I did after my pregnancy and felt it really helped. Here’s one I came across after I was 6 months pp, but had wished I known about…http://www.mombodfitness.com/fitsplint-post-natal.html . I wore a binder while exercising and it really helped with the whole stuff moving around in there feeling!

Tiffany R.     at 3:16 am

This stuff is so interesting to me. Way to get back into it and good job being patient with yourself. And BABY JEANS.

Erin@Just Breathe     at 4:03 am

Little baby clothes are so cute! I’m so happy for you that you’re getting back into things so quick!

Andrea     at 4:03 am

Keep up the good work! Glad to see you’re getting back at it. Good news too…I read this article and keep thinking of it to remind myself that even though I’m “off” my regular workout schedule, your body will get back into it (i.e. its probably easier to get back “in” shape if you were there before). And you were there and will probably get there fast wiht your dedication and perserverence! Keep it up!http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129359637

Kara     at 4:06 am

My workouts didn’t interfere with my supply (but I had oversupply issues anyway).

I found stuff like planks were much more friendly to postpartum recovery than straight sit ups. :)

Tessa @ Amazing Asset     at 4:15 am

I find all of this so interesting to read, and I really appreciate and thank you for sharing it! I am no where near having a baby (I am still an undergrad in college, not for me right now!) but I want to some day and I really enjoy learning all of this.
Thank you for being so honest, and inspiring as well! :)

katie     at 4:25 am

i didnt know that oatmeal promotes lactation!!! that is great news, thank you for sharing! i eat oatmeal probably 3 times a week, maybe i’ll have to make it everyday because i am starting to really fear that i will lose my supply (my son is almost 7 mos). thanks for the tips!!!

Tess     at 4:42 am

In my experience, milk supply is not a problem unless there is a hormonal or other already existing issue (like hormonal imbalance or post-breast-reduction issues). Nursing on demand seems to pretty much take care of everything. Think about how much physical labor many of our ancestors must have done with a nursing baby strapped to their backs/chests!

brandy     at 4:46 am

I never comment, but have read your blog for about 2 years now. I have to say, it has only gotten better since you became pregnant. It has become one of my can’t-miss reads. I love reading and learning about all the new adventures that I hope to experience one day. You are doing a great job. Keep up all the good work.

Thank you so much, Brandy!

Sarah     at 4:53 am

I love baby jeans! So cute!

I hear you about the ab workout. It took me a whole year after having each of my children to even feel my abs. I would do all these core exercises and the next day feel no soreness. I also found it was easier to take with the 2nd child because I was more realistic…the first time is so hard…once you feel normal you just want to be ‘normal’ again!

Lauren     at 4:55 am

I love that you are easing back into your workouts but still taking a great concern for adapting your body and not just jumping back in full force. You are my inspiration hun!

Brittnie (A Joy Renewed)     at 4:57 am

My sister in law actually had to decrease her intensity of post partum workouts. Anytime she would workout hard (run for example) her milk supply would decrease dramatically. So she just sticks to yoga, walking etc for now. Good luck!!

Jamie @ FoodinRealLife     at 5:06 am

Thanks for continuing to share your postpartum workout plans (including how you find the time to do them). I plan to exercise at home as well after my baby is here. I had no idea about your insides feeling that way either- I just thought it was loose skin and that’s it. Thanks for talking about it- it really helps to know what to expect when you’ve never had a baby before!

Dana @ the Big Fat Skinny     at 5:11 am

So crazy how you felt improvement in only one workout to another … just goes to show how quickly you will bounce back. I remember having the same fear of a weaning milk supply when begining to exercise after having G. For me, I found I had to strike a balance, but eating oatmeal daily, and drinking lots of fluids, etc, definintely helped in keeping the supply up. Good luck!

Emily     at 5:16 am

I am no expert, as I have no kids, but I have a girlfriend who started back on the workout train 6 weeks after giving birth, and is INTENSE. I am talking 90 minute spin classes or an hour long bootcamp 6 days per week. Caden is 5 months now and she does not seem to be having trouble with the breastfeeding at this point! Just as an FYI!

christi     at 5:18 am

Congratulations on your PP running! That’s really amazing. As far as I can tell, if you aren’t having any problems with bladder control while you run after your arduous labor – you are very far ahead of the game. TMI? Go, Emily!

Nope, bladder seems to be fine! Thank god!

Lindsey     at 5:20 am

Hi Emily! Congrats on getting back into your workouts! I now know (from being 15 weeks pregnant) that even if I don’t feel like my old self, workin out a little each day makes me feel SO much better and happier! I’m sure you feel the same now. Anyway, you mentioned that you were given some bra advice. Just in case you didn’t see it, I wanted to point out this post by Caitlin because she lovingly pointed out that moms to be and new moms are especially prone to be in the ‘big titty committee’ and need all the boob help they can get. She is so right…hope this helps!http://www.healthytippingpoint.com/2011/12/sports-bras-for-the-b-t-c.html

Emily     at 5:24 am

It’s funny I’m finally commenting since there’s only one pic in this post, but Cullen might be the cutest baby I’ve seen..ever. Congrats! His pants are precious!

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life)     at 5:34 am

Aw, he looks like a little man in those jeans! Precious!! I forgot about it, but I was really worried about my milk supply when I started exercising again, but it hasn’t seemed to be a problem yet. Hopefully it’s the same for you :)

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed     at 5:38 am

Good job mama! You are SO inspiring! Thanks for being so honest. Keep up the good work :)

Nicole     at 5:40 am

Please continue to include Cullen in every post–I don’t care if the post has nothing to do with him. He is so incredible adorable!!!

Haha it’s tempting… :)

Sarah @ w30     at 5:40 am

Go Emily! I am loving your blog more and more, and really appreciate your honesty about your struggles (and triumphs). I think there is so much taboo out there – or maybe moms would just rather forget that stuff and not talk about it – but I am so happy that bloggers like you are lifting the lid on what life is really like when you are pregnant and postpartum. It both helps someone like me (who isn’t a mom but hopes to be someday) to be better prepared when my time comes and gives me a sense of great female community (does that make sense)? I also love all of the comments! I learn so much. Keep up the good work!
And, yes, dear god those baby jeans are ridiculously CUTE!

Thanks Sarah!!

Anna Crouch Reply:

I agree!!! It’s good inf for those of us who have never had a baby, but want to someday–it helps us be more prepared :)

Liz     at 5:50 am

Thank you for sharing such an awesome, doable work out plan! I was looking for something like this for the past 5 months!

Make sure you read the other comments about the ab workouts – I guess sit-ups are not the best activity of choice! Whoops!

Army Amy*     at 5:59 am

Keep at it! I bet it’ll get better and easier with each work out.*

Leatitia @ The Sweetest Year     at 6:10 am

Look at you, working out, breastfeeding, back at work, you’re a super woman! :)

Just a little worry concerning the sit ups. I’ve read that if a certain central abs muscle is not back to its place, we should not do sit ups but planks instead. Otherwise the muscle will not take its original place and stay on the side.

Here, I found an article about it on BabyCenter:

Maybe you could check if yours is back in place before continuing your sit ups regiment. :)

Mine is (only 1 finger gap), so I guess no more excuse!

Leatitia @ The Sweetest Year Reply:

I’ve just read other people already commented about this, sorry! :-/

No worries – I really appreciate all the help and experienced advice!

Laura @ My Pink Thumb     at 6:16 am

OMG baby jeans are the best! He looks adorable in them!!
Kudos on the workout too. It will only get better.

Kelly     at 6:17 am

Good for you! You will feel like yourself in no time.

Ashley     at 6:17 am

ok first off, i love baby jeans lol i remember just being excited buying my son his first pair of Gap jeans before he was even born lol how can you resist something so tiny??? anyway! Just to let you know, as long as you are replacing your calories (and oatmeal is THE best way to do so) then you won’t have any issues with supply :) I’ve been breastfeeding for 15 months now and I work out everyday (and I promise, the running and sit ups get easier lol) and haven’t had any problems with any kind of decrease (I have a 28 lb 15 month old sooooo i’m guessing we’re good ;) lol)….I also still eat 2-3 servings of oatmeal everyday cuz let’s face it , oatmeal is one of the most amazing things ever anyway but the fact that it helps with milk makes it even better :)
good luck with continuing your regimen and keep us updated on your successes! :)

Lee     at 6:20 am

Cullen looks like he’s gotten so big! Love his jeans.

Random question – is that yellow water bottle a Brita filtered water bottle? It looks like the one that I won in a raffle and I hate mine. It leaks everywhere. Just wondered if you had the same problem or I got a faulty one.

He is SO BIG. It’s ridiculous. And yes, that’s the Brita and I HATE it too. Leaks everywhere and is a piece of crap. I only used it because it was the first one I saw and I was in a hurry. I should throw it away.

Nana Phyllis     at 6:20 am

It is interesting hearing young mothers today. I breastfed three babies, two years apart for 12 months/18 months. They never took a bottle and I never even thought about milk supply. Just figured they would get what they needed. I didn’t exercise back then and was at prepregnancy weight at 6 weeks with all three. Just be sure to drink plenty of water and eat when you’re hungry and I think you’ll be fine.

Sara     at 6:31 am

As for abs, I’d definitely suggest starting with all kinds of plank type exercises (including pushups) before situps, and really think of pulling your abs in laterally from the waist while you do them. This will help work the deep (transversus) abs and low back/hip flexors. Even if there is no space between your rectus muscles, stabilizing the low back and waist will make exercise (and even carrying the cutie as he gets bigger) more comfortable postpartum.

Also, in case you’re interested in another kinda harmless/random thing, another common folk remedy for milk supply is fennel. I can’t necessarily explain this, but I’ve heard it from people from a bunch of different cultures, which is interesting. It’s also a major ingredient in the mother’s milk tea that a bunch of my friends swore by.

This is awesome – thank you!

Heather     at 6:37 am

way to go! Love the baby jeans. I think you will be running fast sooner than you think!

Gina     at 6:46 am

I trained for a marathon while nursing. I worried about my milk supply also. I drank Mother’s Milk tea once a day. I am not sure if it helped, but in my mind it did! Hopefully you will not have milk supply issues!

Awesome!! That is my hope, but we’ll see if it happens. A marathon feels reaaaally far away right now.

Annie@stronghealthyfit     at 7:01 am

Interesting post! Ps you look fabulous for just having a baby :-)

Thank you! :)

Erin     at 7:13 am

Glad to hear I’m not the only one obsessed with baby jeans. I’m due in 6 weeks and the ones I ordered for our little one just arrived. Thanks for the tips about your experience easing back into a workout routine. Best of luck!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie     at 7:25 am

Oh sister you are so inspiring.

After I had my son last year I got right back into running and working out. Did daily workouts for months and loved it…Jillian’s 30 shred, Insanity, SELF Workouts, running, etc. I never had any issues with bfing at all. I bf’ed exclusively for six months (no bottles!), then started food but continued to bf a lot. My son is 15 months and I’m still nursing several times a day.

Now I’m pregnant again and not feeling like working out at all. this post inspires me. I’m going to make myself get it in!

Congrats!!!

Emily     at 7:52 am

awww how cute is he!! Make sure you stay really well hydrated! When I don’t drink enough, my milk supply definitely goes down…of course it comes right back as soon as I have some extra water, so don’t panic if it goes down a bit :)

I’m such a bad hydrater, but I’m making a conscious effort to work on it.

Jennifer     at 8:11 am

I can feel exactly what you are talking about. Our baby girl is 6 weeks old today! And I’m taking it easy with getting back into my exercise routine. You’ll be surprised how your body does jump back into things. This is baby #7 for me and I’ve always gotten back into my clothes! Good luck!! And enjoy your little one while he’s growing and changing!

SEVEN!! You are amazing.

ashley     at 8:14 am

You’re doing AWESOME, Emily!!!!! Keep it up!

Shanna like Banana     at 8:39 am

Little baby jeans are so very cute. But not nearly as cute as Cullen :)

I’m nearing 38 weeks and am still doing tricep dips, light weights, and side planks, but I know I will be in for quite the surprise when I truly try to workout..oye!

So CLOSE!!!

Jane     at 8:51 am

You look adorable in your workout clutter. Sorry but had to add -your boobs are huge! My sister who I’d a SMALL a cup is breastfeeding and is a full on D! She’s enjoying them while they last :-). Good luck on getting back in shape. The jeans are adorable!!!

Haha they ARE huge! At least for me. :)

Mari     at 8:54 am

Sitting on an exercise ball while you are blogging/working would also help with strengthening your core! However I’ve never been pregnant, so I don’t know if it is reccomended or not. Just an alternative to the crunches.

Like I said before, I’ve never been pregnant but I always look forward to your posts. I think you are a fantastic writer and always think of thoughtful and interesting blog content!

Thank you so much! :)

Kelly     at 9:12 am

I DO NOT have a workout routine right now, but have a treadmill. If I was smart, I would use your motivation to start where you are starting (though will not be running anytime soon)and get motivated myself! Good for you for getting back up on that horse….

Meagan     at 9:14 am

I really enjoyed this post :) I especially like that last picture :)

Jenn     at 9:15 am

This is a great post, I love reading postpartum updates…not enough people know what to expect during the early months.

Also, other people have said this already (sorry!) but I just wanted to chime in about checking for a diastasis recti…if you have one, sit-ups/crunches are a bad idea, and will make the stomach area look worse than before. If you google the Tupler technique, there’s more info about the whole thing.

Thanks Jenn! Definitely making modifications from here on out. :)

Charlie- The Runner Beans     at 10:03 am

so cute, love the jeans. I followed your old at home circuit workout last night at the gym with a friend, we loved it. I did find it tough going as it was my first circuit workout for a while (ok 5 years!) but I felt tired in a good way at the end of it! The only thing I couldn’t really work out was how to do the single leg dead lift- probably just being really dumb, but is it the same as doing a dead lift with a bar? I think I’ll try this workout soon!

Hollie     at 10:18 am

Good job!!!
It is difficult to get back to ‘normal’ after babies, for sure! But I think you will be surprised pretty soon at how quick it will be, really (in the big picture.) I have had two babies- one I was on bedrest for 13 weeks, and both were delivered via c-section. I returned to running slowly, and ended up better than before! With training all things are possible! Patience is important, and it sounds like you are easing in just right! Have fun. :)

Chase - the CHASE project     at 10:24 am

I read somewhere (can’t remember, wish I could so I could cite it) that excessive lactic acid in muscles can affect the flavor of breastmilk, so if for some reason he starts turning his nose up, that could be a factor! Just food for thought.

Oooh interesting. Thanks Chase!!

Ali Reply:

Hi, I’m a dietitian and I just wanted to make a quick comment on the flavor of breast milk issue! Chase is right, the lactic acid produced after exercise can make breast milk bitter/sour for one to two hours afterward. Timing is everything, so as long as you wait 1-2 hours after exercising to breast feed it should be fine. Also, the ADA does not believe that exercise decreases milk supply. As long as you are breastfeeding/pumping at least 2x a day the supply will stay consistent! I realize this is a few days late but just wanted to share this information in case you were unaware! Best of luck

Jolene (Homespun Heritage)     at 10:30 am

~Great job!~

Just a quick tip that I received when bfing my little one…I tried oatmeal, tea, herbs etc to keep my milk supply up but what pushed me over the edge into fruitful supply (read: very abundant) was Gatorade! (Although, any electrolyte would work.) I could drink a gallon of water and it didn’t help…only Gatorade!

So, that is my little secret!

Totally awesome – I might try that! :)

Samantha Crernock     at 11:06 am

Hang in there! You’re doing great. I remember how weak my shoulders were after Miss Riley. I would set out for a run and my shoulders and arms would wear out long before my legs. Pregnancy does such strange things to your body! I said it yesterday and I’ll say it again, 4.5 months later, I’m up 44 pushups the real way. I started out doing girl pushups. You’ll get there too.

ErikaMC     at 11:35 am

One other thing I have read is about lactic acid in your breastmilk and making it taste different – so pay attention to how he responds to his feeding after you work out. My baby is 16 weeks old and I haven’t noticed him refusing any milk from my workouts.

I could hardly wait for our son to be big enough to wear the jeans I had bought – they are too cute!

Also, curious about your cloth diapers. We are using GroVia All-in-twos and are having pretty good luck with them. Just like to hear about others adventures in cloth diapering!

Debra     at 11:50 am

I love your honesty! Not many people talk about the real issues women face physically during and after pregnancy. And for quite some time after pregnancy! I do have a baby, and even though I was an athlete before (and was able to run until 28 weeks, then did elliptical/walking and weights until the end), returning to exercise was HARD. I had to “double-bag” my breastfeeding boobies, too…that was a painful lesson to learn! Also, WATER. Keep yourself so hydrated that you’re annoyed at how much you pee. And, this may be TMI, but I had stomach issues in a new and different way after baby. I would have runner’s trots after just 3.5 miles! My doc said it was hydration, and suggested electrolytes. I can’t tolerate Gatorade (my stomach just sucks in general) but I had to cut back. So, my point is, don’t be surprised/discouraged at how much is different. You are amazing for starting back and keeping a realistic attitude! This will make you happy, which you need and DESERVE, and your baby needs a happy mama and your husband needs a happy wife. I love your blog, and look forward to updates every day!

P.S. Cullen is so cute I ooze estrogen every time I see a picture of him.

Haha that made me laugh. Thank you! :)

Kathryn     at 1:03 pm

Hi Emily- I haven’t commented in months, but just wanted to tell you how stunning you look post-baby. The “new mom glow” is undeniable. You inspired me to start running about a year and a half ago and your determination continues to motivate me. Stick with it and I know you’ll be in top shape in no time!

Lisa     at 1:40 pm

Funny that no one in the US seems to talk about the importance of waiting at least 8 weeks postpartum before running to give the floor of the pelvis time to heal.

I just had a baby in Germany and the midwives and gynos here really emphasized the importance of not over doing it because you can do so much damage and can have real trouble with urinary incontinence.

Just a thought.

Angela     at 1:46 pm

So glad you are so open and honest about everything. You are the first person I’ve ever really heard tell it like it is.
Whenever Eric and I are shopping for baby clothes for family or friends, he always says “how do they ever make the clothes that tiny?” lol..I suspect he would say the same about his jeans. So cute!

Emily (Edible Psychology)     at 1:57 pm

Aww, nothing cuter than baby jeans and baby shoes!

Anne @ Baking Me     at 3:09 pm

Cullen is so cute in his little baby jeans! Your breakfast looks delicious, especially the fruit smoothie, yum!

Aubre Rice     at 3:55 pm

Nice job! I have to say though, that you are WAY too hard on yourself! I think its incredible that your even working out already after your incredible labor. Don’t get down on yourself, you look amazing….trust me, some of us mommies put on so much weight that it has taken YEARS to get it off and feel normal again! The fact that you are only a few pounds from your post pregnancy weight is seriously crazy and amazing. GO YOU! I will say that I ran a half marathon last year and definitely had to do the two sports bra trick….and even now that my sweet boy is 4 years old, the two sport bra trick continues. BUT, I am proud to say I breastfed for 14 months…so I earned this wayward boobs! Be easy on yourself, you are doing a fantastic job!

The baby jeans….adorable.

Don’t worry, I’m not down on myself at all. Just motivated! :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 5:49 pm

I love baby jeans. They are absolutely adorable.

And you did such a great job with your workout!

Katherine     at 6:50 pm

I know it has to feel good to get back into a routine of exercise!

amy     at 8:07 pm

ahh baby jeans!! i love baby clothes…socks are the cutest things ever. they’re so tiny!!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats     at 8:11 pm

He is sooo big!!! And I’m glad your workout was better, hopefully they will get better and better every time!

Katherine     at 8:21 pm

I am a yoga and Pilates instructor (and also lead Pilates teacher trainings) and am 5 months postpartum. I do not practice traditional sit ups at all. As mentioned by other people, checking for diastasis recti (separation of the rectus abdominis) is really important before doing any forward flexing exercises, but I truly believe there are SO many better ways to strengthen the core both before and after having a child. Sit ups really focus on working the outermost layer of abdominals and what we all need is to strengthen the deeper intrinsic muscles that support our pelvis and spine throughout the day. Think about all the forward flexion we are already in as moms (breastfeeding, sitting at the computer, driving, etc.) Explore ways to strengthen your abs without having to round forward or forward flex the spine. Also (as mentioned before) really focus on rebuilding your pelvic floor. A Pilates teacher can help you more with this, but when firing the abs you should also be engaging support from the pelvic floor. I could write a manual about this, so I’ll leave it at that. Good luck with your journey and stay present to the signs your body is giving you as you venture back into movement. Honor them and know that sometimes less is more. I am happy to answer any questions you may have as well.

Thanks Katherine! Definitely going to look into some modifications for next time!

Molly     at 9:43 pm

It’s fun to read about your new mom stories / workouts! I think it will be fun for you to look back at this blog. I barely remember the first six weeks of my son’s life. It was crazy. As for breastfeeding, I would just continue to be consistent. That, I think, is the key. I nursed for four weeks, and then pumped for 11 months. I trained for a marathon during that time, worked a demanding job, and just made myself pump six times a day. I had no problems — except for the double jog bra / discomfort that can accompany breastfeeding and running / exercising. Good luck! Thanks for sharing!!

Eden     at 12:14 am

What a great post! As someone who is not very active, these workout posts are very inspirational. Maybe you could keep chronicling your return to exercise, as a model for those of us who lack endurance and strength? It would be fun to progress as you progress!

Lauren @chigallauren     at 6:12 am

Cullen is adorable and you look great! Thanks for posting about all the stuff that new moms never really talk about :) I think you are doing amazing, thanks for the inspiration!

anh     at 7:19 am

You are an inspiration with your workouts right now! I can’t imagine working out as much as you are after what you’ve been through! You go girl!

Lindsay     at 8:51 am

Hi Emily! I just found your blog this week and I am enjoying your posts SO much. Thank you for being open about things (that I’ve never even heard of!) – your posts have given me an idea of what to expect when I’m pregnant. Crazy how no one talks about these things! You are a beautiful mommy and I so appreciate you! Keep up the great work! :)

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio     at 11:25 am

Even though I’m a couple of years from having kids, it has been great being able to read about your journey. I really enjoy your blog.

Piper D     at 2:14 pm

I think you look amazing. You looked absolutely beautiful when you were pregnant and you look great now. Having a new baby is not easy and it’s wonderful that you are getting back into the workout routine so quickly. Keep it up! :)

jason @ personal trainer     at 5:06 pm

Much kudos to you for even getting back into it so quickly and so well. The double-bra is always recommended for support (My 21 year old daughter swears by it on a night out too!) and there’s also an elasticated waistband that helps too!