For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

The Seattle Sidewalks.

Even though I have the best of intentions and plenty of motivation, I’ve been finding it hard to fit in as many workouts and runs as I’d like to be doing.  My goal is to squeeze in a run every Saturday and Sunday, since Casey is at home and can hang with Cullen.

I woke up this Saturday excited to get moving again, and was even more motivated once I saw that the sun was shining and it was a gorgeous day.  I haven’t run outside since last February in Alexandria, so trying to figure out what to wear was a challenge.

Even though it’s December here, the high was still around 45 degrees for the day, and the sunshine made it feel even warmer.  I dug out my old winter running gear, leashed up Indy, fired up the Garmin for the first time in Seattle, and hit the trail with my favorite running partner.

I love the weekends when I have a little more time for me, and Casey gets to spend a few extra hours with this guy.

Dec 17 (426x640)

After feeling really rusty on the treadmill for my first few runs, I was excited to test out my legs on the sidewalk and see if it felt any different.  After only doing walks together for the past year, Indy seemed shocked (and thrilled!) that we were running.  I headed down to the trail near my house, started my Garmin, and started jogging.

I found that my comfortable pace seemed to be hovering around the 10:00 minute mile mark – much faster than it was on the treadmill.  I ran and huffed and puffed.  Since I have never actually run in Seattle I had no idea how long the trail distance was from my house, and wasn’t sure how far it would be until I hit the one mile mark.

Having not run in a long time, I felt like I was really moving as I ran along the waterfront.  Assuming I was probably getting close to a mile, I looked down at my Garmin to see I had covered…0.37 miles.  HA!  Looks like I have a ways to go on getting my distance endurance back…

The sun was out, the water was sparkling, and it felt so good to be running outside again in my new city.  We ran to Gasworks Park and up the steeeeeep hill!  My motivation for making the climb?  The view at the top.

We stopped for a minute and caught our breath, and took in the amazing view of downtown Seattle from the park.  Just as we had approached the hill, my watch beeped with the one mile alert.  It sounds so small but it felt so big to me – my first full mile of postpartum running!

As we headed home, I did a few walk/run intervals before deciding to try to run another full mile home.  For my final mile, I found myself hitting between a 9:00 and 9:30 pace for about half of it – much faster than I expected!  I credit my Beyoncé and JayZ Pandora playlist for the extra kick in my step.

We looped home in just under three miles, two of which I ran, and the other I ran/walked.  A short distance, but a HUGE accomplishment, and I felt incredible afterwards.

Being able to run outside made such a huge difference in both my pace and my confidence.  I’m going to do my best to get out as much as possible when the weather is nice, since dry days here tend to be few and far between.

For as good as I felt during my run, I was sore within an hour afterward.  OUCH!  I think my body was definitely feeling the extra impact of the hard sidewalk versus the cushioned treadmill.  I was happy to be taking it easy on Saturday night (as if I don’t do that every Saturday night…).

We had an extra special evening of babysitting planned!  The only thing more fun than one sleeping baby on the couch is TWO sleeping babies on the couch!  Cullen’s first sleepover!  Both boys were on their best behavior, and it was so fun to get to play with another new baby.

The rest of our weekend was spent working on Recipage, as we prepared to launch our exciting announcement this morning!  (For background on how/when we started Recipage, here’s the story.)  As of today, Recipage is totally FREEYou can read more about it here!

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

katy     at 7:19 pm

Yeah for your first outside run! I LOVE running the Burke Gilman.

I’m so excited about your recipage news – I’m going to sign up now!!

Awesome – thanks! :)

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats     at 7:27 pm

I’m glad the run went so well! Running outside with a good view can definitely be inspirational!

Ari @ AriTiana     at 7:32 pm

Awesome run and running outside can be so refreshing!

Tiffany     at 8:00 pm

You look great!! Congratulations on the run!! I wish I was in seattle to run and see that view! :)

Happy holidays and happy new year!! Hope this year is filled with lot of love, happiness and laughter for you and your family!

esmemerrie     at 9:09 pm

woo-hoo! Congratulations! There’s definitely nothing like running outside :)

hannah alehandra     at 2:53 am

OH wow I can see how that view was the motivation for the steepness! So amazing. Congratulations on your first post pregnancy mile.

Megan     at 4:54 am

Awesome!!! I LOVE Seattle… (have husbands brother and sister in law there.) Great job on the run! So jealous you get to run around Gaswork Park! We had our engagement photos there last time we were in town, I loved the views. :)

Enjoy the weather when you can… we are coming into town first week of January and hopefully will have good weather to enjoy the city.

Laura @ My Pink Thumb     at 5:23 am

Congrats on getting out for your first run!! :)

Katy Widrick     at 6:01 am

I am so happy for you — both the running accomplishment and getting a baby break! You look so happy in all of your pictures.

And another big congrats on the Recipage success. I’m so excited to see how you grow the company. (Still hoping it can spin off into a non-recipe platform, too — I’d love to use it for sorting through all of my social media posts!)

Kristen @ Change of Pace     at 6:18 am

Emily you truly are an inspiration! I have had the hardest time getting back in to running postpartum. Mostly because I get discouraged because I can’t do what I could do. I hate the fact that I have to start over… from the beginning. When I worked so hard to train my body in the first place. I really enjoy reading about your runs and you keep me motivated!!!

ashley     at 8:30 am

You sound + look so happy!! Congrats!! :)

Katie of Cabbage Ranch     at 8:33 am

I’m so impressed at your motivation and effort toward getting back into shape… And thanks for sharing that it isn’t always easy, and that mothers’ bodies feel differently after birth. It’s so true! Time and patience are so important in the return to normalcy. :) And the Recipage announcement- AMAZING! Thank you!!!!!

Whitney     at 8:42 am

Don’t you just love Gasworks Park?! :) Looks like you had a great first run (outside) in such a long time, I’m sure your endurance will come back quickly!
I hope that you and your family have a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

You too! :)

radhi     at 8:57 am

this is so inspiring! congrats on the awesome run! i went to udub and live in atlanta, but gasworks is still and will always be my favorite place on earth!! that hill & view is the perfect way to celebrate little victories! well done!

Shannon @ My Place In The Race     at 9:22 am

Great job getting out there! The weather looks perfect too!

Kim     at 9:34 am

Which Garmin do you use? I want to buy one but I don’t know which model I should get.

I have the Forerunner 205 and love it!

Kristy     at 1:29 pm

Great news on Recipage, it’s a wonderful tool! Hey did you ever announce who won your survey drawing? Just curious! Congrats on the run. I’m loving your positive attitude!

We did! A reader named Betsy won it. :)

Sonnet     at 4:38 pm

Congrats Emily! That is a huge accomplishment! It must feel so good to have your “sidewalk legs” back! :)

Jules     at 10:21 am

It’s official…you need to start visiting one of my other favorite blogs:

I bet I’ll see you featured on there some day!

Lexi @ A Spoonful of Sunshine     at 10:56 am

For a second, I had deja vu and thought you were preggers again haha!

Nathalie     at 1:11 pm

YAY for outdoor running and for canine running buddies ;-)

Lexi @ A Spoonful of Sunshine     at 1:20 pm

That last picture is simply precious!

Bethany @ Accidental Intentions     at 9:33 am

SUPER late comment, but since I was in Seattle on Saturday–holy wow was the weather amazing. Definitely perfect for a run. Congrats on covering two outside miles running! That’s so fantastic! :)

Jacquelyn     at 10:50 pm

Ah! I think you live near where my brother used to live. I stayed at a hotel not far from his house and Green Lake and we walked to Gasworks one day. So much fun getting to the top and seeing all the cool installations and the view. My visit there made me consider moving until he left because he said he couldn’t take another winter! Hope you like it much better than he did!

http://iget2go.com/     at 6:12 pm

a delicious cherry on top of the gorgeous bridal cake if you will.
The hair is cut such a way that the top of the hair appears like a
flat surface. (2) Greasy Hair: The feature of this hair is
of grease much, easy cleave dirt, the hair straight and weak.

running shoes