Week 6: So Many Smiles.

As if Fridays weren’t already a great day in general, it’s also the day that Cullen celebrates his weekly birthdays.  I love waking up every Friday thinking about the morning he was born!  Hard to believe that was SIX long weeks ago…

We’ve had our ups and downs through these past few weeks, but now the good days far outnumber the bad.  I’m calling him Cullen the Crank less and less…

In fact, the fun new development in Cullen’s life (and ours)?  SMILES!  This guy is so smiley now!

Nov 30

All day long I made giant goofy grins at him, and about ten percent of the time he gives one back to me.  The other 90% of the time I just feel like a fool.  But those 10% are so worth it it doesn’t matter.  I can’t wait until his big toothless grins turn into full belly laughs.

We had a checkup at the doctor today and he clocked in at a whopping 11lbs 10oz – this boy is packing on the pounds!

He is outgrowing clothes by the minute and I just gave all his newborn outfits to a friend with a tiny peanut baby – sniff!

He’s still sleeping like a champ, and I feel really lucky that we have such a good sleeper.  On average I get up two times each night to feed him, but he eats and goes back to sleep right away each time (knocks on wood).  We are going strong with a consistent 7:30-8pm bedtime, and it has been so nice to have a few hours each evening to catch up on things (like writing this post!).

(Adorable Cullen onesie was a handmade gift from Rachel, who also sells them online.  Check out her shop!)

Postpartum life is going well.  I definitely feel like “me” again!  I have my official checkup with the midwives next week, but I fully expect to be cleared for all activity.  If you had told me during week one that I would feel normal again by week six I wouldn’t have believed it.  I’m amazed at how well I’ve healed these last few weeks.

Cullen and I made our triumphant return to Greenlake this week!  I hadn’t walked my favorite three mile loop since the day before I went into labor, and it was long overdue.  We bundled up and walked the lake twice this week – his first time OUT of the belly!

The other exciting (not really) achievement of the week is that I finally conquered my breast pump.  As expected, it was not nearly as big of a deal as I had anticipated, and I’m glad that we’ll have some backup milk for him whenever it is needed.  I’m also excited that he and Casey can get some good feeding and bonding time from now on!

Coming up next week, Casey has his work holiday party which means we will have to spend our first night away from Cullen.  Clearly I am already freaking out about it.  But I will try not worry too much about that until next week…

Have a great weekend!

PS – Don’t forget, you have until Monday night to take the Recipage survey (and be entered into the drawing to win an iPad2)!

Stephanie @ LiveCookLove     at 9:55 pm

As if it is even possible, he gets cuter by the DAY!!!! I’m so happy for you and Casey! Have a great weekend :)

crystal     at 10:12 pm

The first time you leave them is the worst, but it gets easier. Just make sure you’re not gone too long/bring a pump or you’ll end up leaking through your shirt (ask me how I know this lol).

RachelSD     at 10:29 pm

Cullen is so cute and I love all the facial expressions! I’m so glad I could help dress him. :) Thanks for the link- so sweet. Have a great weekend with your little man.

Liz     at 11:34 pm

What a sweetheart! I just love the first picture you posted – you can really see both you & Casey in his face. Just beautiful! :)

esmemerrie     at 11:39 pm

I can’t get over how cute he is!!! I love those smiles, I can only imagine how much more intense those feelings must be for you!

Samantha     at 12:12 am

I’m curious which medela breast bump you’re using…you didn’t mention it on your babble post either…

Emily     at 3:02 am

What sweet pictures Emily! Cullen is adorable. And I’m so glad you’re feeling so much better.

I’m about to go and brave making millet for the first time so I was looking at your great grains series. I know you’ve got your hands pretty full at the moment (probably literally most of the time) but I would love to learn about some more grains if you get a chance to write about them again sometime.

Hope your midwife check-up goes well!

~Emily~

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats     at 4:06 am

He just looks so sweet, I love the smiles! And good luck on your first evening away, just remember, he will be just fine and will probably sleep most of the time!

Coco     at 4:11 am

Cute cute cute!!! I’m so glad to hear your feeling like yourself! Enjoy your weekend lady!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 4:20 am

I think I would be a mess too leaving him overnight, but I’m sure whoever is watching him will make sure he is in good hands!! he is such a cutie – I can’t believe six weeks have gone by either!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)     at 4:47 am

The pump will be your new best friend! It is so helpful to have it and use it regularly! Cullen is such a doll. Those pictures make me miss my little guys. The cuddles just aren’t the same when they’re 13 and almost 11…where has the time gone?

Shari     at 4:57 am

His smile must melt your heart every time! :)

Catherine     at 5:14 am

Oooh look at his little belly popping out of those pants! How do you just not squeal at how cute he is all the time? I love reading these updates, and I’m so glad you’re doing them!

julie @ shining from within     at 5:25 am

So cute! You should be keeping the clothes for future babies :)

car     at 5:30 am

love these updates! he is so cute!!!

Katherine     at 5:31 am

I don’t think he can legally get any more adorable!

Kath     at 5:36 am

What perfect photos!!!!!

kelly     at 5:38 am

Aww too cute :) We both have big, healthy babies. Mine was 10lbs 12oz at her 1 month checkup and I was shocked! Glad to hear the pump isn’t as scarey as it seems. I keep putting off trying mine out!

Erica     at 5:59 am

I love these weekly posts ! As much as I looked forward to your weekly pregnancy updates (since I’m pregnant too, it was good to see what the future would be like) this is even more informative! I have zero baby experience and I appreciate that you’re talking about the differences from week to week. Makes me feel a little bit more prepared. I even have my hubby reading them to prep for the arrival of our little guy in March!

Erica Reply:

Also that first picture? Priceless. He’s a handsome devil!

Heather     at 6:40 am

so sweet! I love his little smile! Thats awesome he is sleeping so well and that you are getting to walk again. I’m so happy for yall!

Sara@BakingandWine     at 6:51 am

Oh my goodness! He’s bigger than my 14 week old! Haha. She is a tiny little bit though. :)

My husband and I have our first night out away from the baby next week too, Army Ball time. I completely understand being nervous. I don’t even have any pumped milk so I think we’re just going to have to supplement with formula that night. Breaks my heart!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More     at 7:44 am

So adorable and so good to hear he’s such a healthy and happy baby! :)

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries     at 8:10 am

What a cutie pie! I love all of his adorable smiles. :) Glad you’re feeling back to your old self!

Kristen @ Chocolate Covered Kristen     at 8:15 am

Awww – baby feet! I love little baby feet and baby shoes and socks. So sweet and tiny.

Adrianne     at 8:19 am

He’s so cute! Good luck leaving him; he’ll be fine and so will you, but it’s hard. I just did it for the first time last week. And if I may suggest, be sure to introduce the bottle ahead of time if you haven’t already. My girl is 13 weeks and I had started introducing her to bottles around 6 weeks as well. She did awesome and I gave them to her occasionally. But then she was doing so great, that I got lazy and stopped, thinking she had it down. Then the week we were supposed to leave her for several hours, I tried again and she HATED it! Now a week and a half later, and several more attempts, we’re back on target. I guess they need a “refresher” a few times a week to keep up the skill! :)

Oh and like someone else said, pump before you go! OMG, I was in SOOOO much pain from not pumping and being gone for several hours. Ouch!

Raewyn     at 9:02 am

Cullen is so unbelievably precious!!! He is such a beautiful baby – that first picture melted my heart. :) Congratulations on your beautiful, healthy son, Emily! He looks so much like Casey, but you can definitely see his mama in there too. :)

Took the survey, btw. LOVE y’all’s Recipage!

Emily     at 10:07 am

how cute! I love baby smiles :) Just wait til you get smiles back 90% of the time! soo stinking cute! and although I never found the breast pump intimidating, i have come to loathe mine with such a passion haha it’s been 6 months now since the twins were born and I’ve pumped every 2-4 hours day and night since then. Nightmare and a half :-P but good healthy food for my babies! No matter how they get it, as long as that’s what they’re eating, I’m a happy camper :)

Beth     at 10:11 am

Cullen is so cute! I love all of his faces. I know how you are feeling – we have my holiday party next Friday and it will be the first time we will be away from our little girl longer than an hour or so and not just a mile away from her.

Amber K     at 10:38 am

Baby smiles and laughs are the absolute best. :)

Jamie @ FoodinRealLife     at 10:55 am

What a sweet little munchkin! I love his smiles! I just registered for that Boppy pillow you always show him on, it looks so comfy.

Jessica @ The Process of Healing     at 11:16 am

Cullen updates never get old.. and his smile!

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile     at 11:22 am

Oh my gosh. All his pictures melt my heart! So beautiful :D

Jordan Lynn (Ciao Cow)     at 11:38 am

First off, Cullen is so adorable. I love the weekly posts and never comment because I’m a law school zombie, but I’ve really enjoyed following your journey. :D Secondly, I don’t have a child, but the most interesting thing I’ve ever see a mom do on an airplane was have a ziploc bag full of earplugs that she offered to everyone in her vicinity. Her baby didn’t even cry, but I thought it was a wonderful idea. Just thought I’d share. Enjoy the holidays and take care!

bitt     at 11:52 am

always so hard to leave the baby the first time. i hope you have a trusted babysitter!

Kate     at 11:56 am

Aw, I love baby smiles! He looks like a little man- I love it :)

Meagan     at 2:00 pm

You’ll do fine at the party! Give Cullen you’d trust with your own life, make sure he has all that he needs including milk etc.. and then just trust and pray!! Enjoy the party!

Meagan Reply:

OOps, I meant *Give Cullen to someone you’d trust with your own life and be sure to include all baby essentials

Jill     at 3:00 pm

Smiles from babies are the best! One smile and all is forgiven after a difficult day or night!

Jen     at 3:34 pm

oh emily, these photos totally brightened a bad day. love him and his big smile.

Jessica     at 6:38 pm

Man, your sweet little one has a killer smile! So glad things are getting a bit easier as the weeks go on, and I’m SUPER jealous of your Greenlake walks! We have a friend that lives there on Interlaken and we walk the lake whenever we visit. :)

Haley S     at 6:55 pm

Love all of his faces! You have the cutest little man. Glad you are finally feeling like your old self again…

Lisa     at 10:20 pm

He is delightful! I laughed about his packing on the pounds…MY Cullen was 11lbs 1oz BORN! I definitely wasn’t me at 6wks postpartum, glad you are both doing well!

Sarah     at 5:39 am

I think every time you post pictures of him i comment about how cute he is. I cant help it.. hes presh!

Debbi     at 8:05 am

I took pictures of my son every week for the first month then monthly for the first year. The pictures were so much fun to look at.

Jennifer     at 9:28 am

So glad you took the mystery out of the pump..easy right? fresh air is also priceless :) You look beautiful Emily..glad you are feeling more like yourself. Have fun at the Christmas party..that little grin will be twice as beautiful when you get back home :)

Megan     at 9:59 am

awwww he is so so adorable!!! I love all the smiles. You are making me very excited for when we decide to start trying for a family! :) Love the updates and good luck with your first night out at the Christmas Party!

kristen @ verbs and vignettes     at 10:42 am

photo #3 is my new favorite cullen photo! SO CUTE.

Kristen @ Life as an Americanadian     at 11:14 am

Aww I love the big smiles!! Adorable!

Alaina     at 12:27 pm

Oh my gosh, I just cannot get over those expressions! He is so adorable Emily!! :-)

Shannon @ My Place In The Race     at 4:00 pm

So adorable! His pin-stripe pants are just too stinking cute!!

HeatherInNY     at 10:34 am

I must admit; seeing Cullen’s smiling face totally brightens my day. So know that you’re in good company! New meaning to TGIF! =)

Katye     at 9:00 am

okay his hairline. I can’t handle it…so adorable!

It’s so ridiculous, right? He has lost all the hair on the front of his head and now looks like a grandpa. Haha!

Katye Reply:

It’s just sooo adorable! and those pictures of him smiling…couldn’t be more amazing! You definitely captured some awesome moments in those!

Whitney @ cornfed in the cornhusker state     at 10:29 am

Cullen is too cute, and good for you for getting back on the treadmill! I have a quick question for you…my husband and I just found out that we are expecting at the beginning of July. So of course I am already researching and looking up everything “baby!” I know you area big fan of “baby wearing,” so in your opinion which sling or wrap do you consider to be a “can’t live without?”

Jan     at 2:21 pm

Nothing wrong with having a blog for your own personal life and interests but exploiting a baby more money is a different story. Sorry but there is no excuse.

Largo     at 2:23 pm

I kinda have to agree with Jan kinda like to see more recipes and fitness and less baby.

I’m not surprised you agree with Jan since you are commenting from the same IP address…

Largo     at 2:32 pm

His hairline? I didn’t want to comment but is that normal? His head looks big and abnormal. Is that how it’s supposed to be? Don’t get me wrong he is still cute like a monkey.

If you didn’t want to comment, then you shouldn’t. Don’t get me wrong, but insulting a baby is pretty sad.

Karen     at 2:58 pm

Oh my… he is soooo precious!!!!

Love his little smile!! Too cute!

Barbara     at 3:46 pm

Now is time to start Friday night date night with your wonderful husband. As much as you hate to leave Cullen with someone, it is important to have quality time — just the two of you. It is also important for Cullen to meet other people and be away from you for a short time. He’ll learn early that you are not always with him and will almost eliminate separation anxiety as he spends a weekend with grandma or in a couple of years, start school.

Julie S.     at 11:29 am

He is just gorgeous! LOVE those smiles!!