Week 7: Growing Up Fast.

It is amazing to me how quickly the weeks seem to be going by.  I don’t honestly even remember what I used to do with my time, but I know that thinking I was ever  busy before is now laughable.  This guy keeps me on my toes all day long!  Good thing he is (usually) so much fun to spend my days with.

We had a rough couple of days at the beginning of the week.  Cullen would have long stretches of just seeming inconsolable, and I felt so sad that I didn’t know how to make him happy.

Dec 5 (640x427)

I think he might be battling some gas these days, so I’m trying to do extra burping and pay better attention to how he’s feeding.

He also doesn’t like to be put down much anymore.  His preference is to be held and walked around aaaaall day long, which is fun, but not entirely realistic.  By the end of the day we are both totally pooped.

He’s not a big fan of lying on his back this week, unless he’s in a really good mood.  If I’m lucky, I can convince him to hang on his playmat for a little bit so I can do things like eat lunch, go to the bathroom, and feed the dogs.  I can tell that developmentally he’s really starting to grow.  He has started actually batting at the toys on his mat, and a few times I’ve caught him holding onto things with his grasp!

He is also getting SO BIG!  He’s much heavier in my arms these days, which is both tiring and also nice.  I like having a big healthy baby.  His little newborn hair is starting to fall out a bit in the front, leaving him with a funny receding hairline.  He doesn’t seem to care.

Sleeping is going REALLY well.  I’m almost afraid to talk about it.  I’ll write more about it next week, but we’ve really gotten into a great nighttime routine.  Cullen goes to sleep right around 7:30 each night, and seems to only need to get up twice (sometimes even just once!) for a mid-night feeding.  It’s working well for all of us.

We went to our birth class reunion this week, and had such a great time meeting all the other babies!  It was great to see all our mom friends again, and to see how different all our little ones and our birth experiences turned out.  Cullen was having a particularly cranky morning the day of the reunion (screaming in my face most of the morning), but then acted like the perfect gentleman once we got there – sleepy, happy, smiley, and social.  Go figure!  No one believed me that he’s typically a big grump.

Dec 6 (640x433)

I already talked a lot about me this week, so you don’t need much of a postpartum update.  I feel so lucky to have the support and advice of so many experienced moms who have done all of this before.  I’m learning about parenting and postpartum life day by day.  Yesterday I learned that I shouldn’t actually be doing sit-ups as part of my workout routine – whoops!  I’ll definitely be modifying this and changing things up for next week.

I did have one pretty exciting postpartum moment this morning.  Stepping on the scale, I’m officially back to my pre-pregnancy weight.  Exciting!  Although to be honest, my goal for getting back into shape has very little to do with numbers.  My goal is to feel toned and strong again, and to learn how to use my new body to do some of my old favorite things.

More and more I’m finding that I also have a lot of new favorite things.  I used to go and go all day long, always feeling like I needed to have all my tasks completed and lists checked off by the end of the day.  Now I find that my inbox takes longer to clear, my writing is usually done much later in the day, and my recipe development is mostly limited to weekends.

I’m planning to try to write a “day in the life with a baby” post next week to give you guys an idea of what we do all day long.  Besides playtime, feeding time, diaper changes, and the other usual stuff, I also need to plan for time to do absolutely nothing other than sit, snuggle, sniff, and stare at my baby.  It’s good for both of us.

Tonight is our first evening away from Cullen, and his first time hanging out with babysitting friends.  I’m nervous about missing my little guy, but I’m also excited about a night out with Casey.  I can’t believe he’s almost two months old!

Kate (What Kate is Cooking)     at 12:46 pm

He has such a sweet and expressive face! Congrats on being back to your pre-pregnancy weight. That’s quite an accomplishment!

Krissy @ Shiawase Life     at 12:46 pm

Love all the pics – fave is the last one. You look so content.

Ms. Adams     at 12:48 pm

These pictures make me want a baby pronto but don’t tell the hubs:) Enjoy your time with your husband. A date night every once in awhile really does wonders.

erica     at 12:53 pm

cullen is so adorable, and makes the best faces! i was drinking water when i came across picture number 2 and started cracking up. water almost came out my nose! lol!

and his reindeer top is so cute!

julie     at 12:53 pm

he is so. beautiful. the faces he makes are priceless.

Amanda Perry at Sistas of Strength     at 12:53 pm

Planks are awesome for postpartum… :) Do that instead of sit ups!

You seem so happy and I love the pics of Cullen. Go you for being at your pre-preggo weight already. It’s not that easy for most people!

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) Reply:

I started doing planks and they made me feel SO weak… all the more reason to keep ‘em up :)

Amanda Perry at Sistas of Strength Reply:

Yes! Your strength will come back. I couldn’t believe how weak my core was after having a baby, but it came back fairly quick with lots of planks. :)

Lisa @ The Splattered Apron Reply:

I’ve been doing planks–they’re so much harder now!!

Amanda Perry at Sistas of Strength Reply:

You had a baby. Remember? :) They are going to be hard for a bit, but they will help SO much w/ getting your core strength back again.

Kaci     at 12:57 pm

I love the last picture! So beautiful!

Rachel     at 12:59 pm

He is so expressive!!

Jilliana     at 1:00 pm

You look great girl! Any chance of a ‘how to’ tutorial of your cute bun hairdo? It looks so polished.

Kristen @ The Concrete Runner     at 1:03 pm

So jealous your back to your pre-preggo weight! I still have 10 pounds to go! I love reading your updates since our babies are only 3 days apart – but so different! And why no situps? I had a c-section and have been doing them with no problems…

Kamaile     at 1:05 pm

Emily, I do love your recipes but I always check back daily for pictures of Cullen! He’s so cute, enjoy your date night!

Emily     at 1:05 pm

His little scowl is so cute!!

Heather     at 1:06 pm

I LOVE his little serious face, so funny!

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life)     at 1:08 pm

Hailey has a funky hairline, too, though it’s starting to fill back in :)
You look like you’re doing great, though I totally know what you mean about being on your toes all day. No resting because when the baby sleeps is the only time I have to get things done.
You look great though and congrats on hitting your prepreg weight!

Glad to hear the hair comes back eventually! :)

Natalcho @ Tomatoes Rock     at 1:08 pm

I love his angry faces – he would almost be scary if he wasn’t so cute!

Katie KS     at 1:15 pm

I’m so with you on getting things done. So much harder with kids. Throw in work … I wake up at 5:30 and go to bed about 11:30. I really want to fit in a workout at least a few days a week but so far I can’t figure out when around nursing. As far as abs, I went back to pilates at 6 weeks pp with physician clearance. So … maybe try that. I missed last week (it’s on Sundays which usually works and is my only workout. I’m cranky that I didn’t get it this week!) but it really works the abs. Good luck on your night out. We’re leaving M and E at parents’ night out at E’s daycare tomorrow night for J’s office party and it will be M’s first time not being cared for by relatives. A bit nervous here too :) At least he’s getting better about taking bottles! How does C do with bottles?

We just introduced bottles last week, and so far so good! Hopefully I’m not jinxing myself for tonight…

Lara     at 1:15 pm

He’s is such a doll, Emily! I really admire your approach to getting back in shape and think it’s healthy, moderate, and realistic! You look fantastic already but I’m sure you feel a lot different than you did pre-baby ;) Congratulations, again, on your lovely new family.

Alex     at 1:16 pm

It’s so encouraging to read that you are back to your pre-pregnancy weight! And I love that you put it in a way that doesn’t sound like bragging (after all, postpartum weight can be a touchy subject…)

I’m currently 19 weeks pregnant and was going through your weekly pregnancy post to see how my experience compares to yours :)
Your baby is absolutely beautiful and I am not biased so you can believe me when I say it. Please keep up the posts about post-partum and Cullen’s milestones, they will come in very handy for me when I get to that stage!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries     at 1:20 pm

Your little guy is so, so stinkin’ precious! And you are amazing! Back to your pre-pregnancy weight already?! Way to go!! You are certainly inspiring. :)

Lisa @ The Splattered Apron     at 1:27 pm

I just can’t stand Cullen’s level of cuteness. I’m afraid that once we get him and Caroline in the same room the world will literally explode from cuteness.

Definitely.

Meagan     at 1:34 pm

Adorable photos. Have fun at the party!

Kristen @ Change of Pace     at 1:42 pm

He is adorable Emily! I have a 14 month old and there for awhile he just wanted to be held all day too. I also have a 3 year old so it was definitely a problem. All I can say is hang in there. It’s just a phase. It too shall pass just like the crankiness in the first weeks :)

Jane     at 1:49 pm

I love the grumpy photos!! Enjoy your evening-baby boy will be just fine!!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn     at 1:59 pm

AH. What a beautiful little muffin. You are so lucky. Savor it. I once babysat for this newborn baby who would go to sleep by 7 or 7:30 every night and not wake up the whole night. Miracle baby, I tell you.

Candy @ Healthy In Candy Land     at 2:12 pm

Oh my goodness, all those expressions! He really is a little cutie pie. I am so glad to hear you say you take time to just be with him and look at him and snuggle him. Time flies and in a flash your first baby will be eight years old and barely let you near him much less give him a hug! Enjoy it while you can. Savor him!

SaraRM     at 2:13 pm

OMGOSH his faces crack me up! PRECIOUS!

Marie@feedingfive     at 2:21 pm

I can feel your joy through your words and it is so sweet. You seem to be taking in every moment. I am glad you have a good sleep schedule going as that was the one thing that killed me the first couple of months. With each baby at 4 months old I let em’ cry it out. It was hard but so worth it.

You seem to be such a wonderful and doting mom. Cullen is going to love reading all of this later in life. Lucky boy.

Karolina     at 2:22 pm

Enjoy your break from your baby! I know it’s hard to go, and the worry creeps in easily. Try to enjoy yourself and have fun, though!

Erica     at 2:25 pm

Cullen is just the cutest, and like many others I love all of his expressions! A good friend of mine recommended the book “The Wonder Weeks” which lists all the growth spurts (physical and mental) that babies go through until they are 20 months old. It explains whey they become fussy for a few days right before a developmental leap, and give you tips on how to deal with it. I’m still pregnant, so I’ve only read through the first two spurts, but there is definitely one that occurs between 7 and 8 weeks! Maybe he’s cranky because he’s growing!

Sounds like a book I should check out!

Kathryn @ Flopoodle     at 2:40 pm

I love that second picture! What an adorable expression!

sarah crosby     at 2:41 pm

why cant you do sit ups? My newborn is 5 days younger than Cullen and I have been doing sit ups?! and AMEN to everything you say about feeling so loose inside! it’s so crazy!

I guess our muscles aren’t ready for that quite yet – read the comments on my last post!

colleen     at 2:46 pm

love his expressions and the last photo. definitely set a side to sit and do nothing but hold and smell Cullen. My oldest turned 8 today and I could barely get him to hold still for a hug and a kiss. Have a great night out.

Awwww happy birthday to your little one!!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats     at 3:01 pm

That’s so crazy that he’s two months old already! Where has the time gone?? I hope you have a great evening!

Well not QUITE yet, but it’s coming up! So insane!

Zee     at 3:24 pm

You look so beautiful in this last pic :)

Thanks!

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe     at 3:29 pm

Oh that hairline is so adorable! I love his fuzzy little widow’s peak, too cute!

Army Amy*     at 3:35 pm

I know nothing about babies (seriously zero), but I read a blog by a photographer that I love. Her son would cry a lot if he was laid down and prefered to be upright. Turned out that he had acid reflux. I thought maybe Cullen was experiencing some of that based on what you described, but her baby didn’t sleep, so maybe not!*

I have wondered if he might have some reflux and have been reading about it. Might ask at his next appointment!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run]     at 3:59 pm

Cullen is too cute for words, love the weekly updates :)

Eileen Jenks     at 4:34 pm

My babies were always super gassy and fussy around 6-10 weeks…try Baby Bliss Gripe Water..it works WONDERS!!!

I just bought that yesterday during a particular cranky afternoon, but haven’t used it. Glad to hear you had good experiences with it!

Kath     at 4:45 pm

HI friend!

HI!! :)

Shayla @ The Good Life     at 5:24 pm

That last photo is simply beautiful :)

And Cullen has got to be the most precious, adorable baby ever! I love how expressive he is and he looks like he’s got such a great personality already – and I definitely see Casey in him. At first I thought more you, but it’s definitely all Casey – although I think he does have your eyes and skin coloring ;)

Shanna like Banana     at 5:32 pm

You have the happiest most full of expressions baby! I just love it!

And I’d totally eat up a “day in the life” since I have no idea what I’m fully in store for.

NICE job on getting back to pre-preg weight. I know it’s not all that matters, but it’s still a happy little victory ;)

Jenny     at 5:50 pm

Now that I have had three babies I don’t rely on the scale as much as I do my measurements because pre-pregnancy weight doesn’t always mean pre-pregnancy size (muscle loss? Body changes?). Any way just getting down to pre-pregnancy weight 7 weeks post-partum is a huge accomplishment!! Cullen is a cutie:-)

Kat     at 5:52 pm

I love the many faces! :) And they grow up way too fast. Seriously – like the minute that our baby was born, time sped up. I can barely handle it.

Katherine     at 6:25 pm

He is getting so big. I wish I was his babysitter!

Kristina     at 7:39 pm

He is so adorable – and expressive!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen     at 7:42 pm

I just adore his funny faces. Congrats on getting back to your pre-pregnancy weight, hope you’re enjoying your night out!

Holly     at 7:49 pm

I know you said it’s not about numbers but I am wholly AMAZED that in 7 weeks your weight is back to what it was. WOW.

I guess because I hear so many stories from women who say it takes them 6+ months, sometimes years! What an inspiration. I think your healthy lifestyle and diet has definitely helped you and baby!

Lee     at 8:16 pm

I would love to read a day in the life with a baby post.

Haley S     at 6:01 am

Cullen is so stinkin’ cute. All of his expressions are just the best! Glad you’re having mostly really good days with him!

Dorsa     at 7:29 am

aaaahh I just love him :) his reindeer onesie is amazing

Amykinz @ Foodie 4 Healing     at 7:31 am

Your photos are so great, Emily! And I just wanted to say how proud of you I am that you and Casey are taking time to continue to develop your relationship. It’s soooo important, both for the two of you and for the security that Cullen will feel. You’re doing a great job at being a Mommy!

amy     at 9:05 am

ahhh i love when babies start to smile!! :) he’s a cutie!

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie     at 9:33 am

I love all of Cullens pictures!! He is so photogenic! I hope you get to put them all in a scrapbook, they are priceless!!

Shannon Bell     at 10:43 am

that last picture is just the sweetest–one of those you’ll show Cullen when he’s older :-) glad things are going so well, i love hearing all of the updates!

Amber K     at 11:06 am

He is just so adorable! I feel so busy without a baby, I can’t even imagine just how much work it adds. Of course, they are so worth it.

Lydia     at 1:35 pm

He is so cute! i love the little receding hairline!
Seeing your journey to get fit again is really inspiring. I always could kind of take or leave kids, and honestly, hearing women’s stories about how much their bodies changed after they give birth kind of tipped the scales away from me ever getting pregnant. This is pretty shallow, but seeing how quickly you’ve jumped back is making me reconsider!

Charlie @ the runner beans     at 2:26 pm

LOVE the reindeer top! I hope it was ok on your first night without him- very brave. I bet it was nice to let your hair down!

esmemerrie     at 3:37 pm

little old man baby! too funny! Emily you look fantastic even just chilling at home with your boy! Congratulations on being back to your goal weight! Do you have any idea if your body composition is similar to what it was?

Oh gosh, I dont think it’s anywhere near where it was. I’m sure my fat % is much higher now, but my body is just different in general. Even being back to my old weight, it doesn’t really look like it. My stomach looks very doughy! :)

Gabrielle     at 6:32 pm

He is so cute! Do you ever tire of reading us all telling you this?! :) I love his wardrobe too – fabulous little reindeer garb. Question for you though… has he spent time in that amazing nursery you decorated for him? I know you’re holding him a lot, and setting him in that cushiony thing, but what about that crib, and the stenciled wall, and the other gorgeosity in “his” room? Has he seen any of it yet, or will that wait until he’s a bit older? I guess after following along while you so carefully created it, I kind of want to see him in it. Do you spend time in that nice chair in there, at least?

Oh yes, we spend LOTS of time in the nursery!! The light isn’t as good in there, so my pictures are usually downstairs. We do all his feedings in the glider, so I’m probably in it for a few hours each day. We also play on the floor in his room, do baths in his whale tub in his bathroom, and use the changing table quite frequently. It has turned out to be a great space for him!

Elizabeth     at 6:40 pm

Nice work. Thats one cute baby. And congrats on the workouts too. Impressive!! Seriously. Some things never go back to the way they were before pregnancy… But after three kids believe it or not I am in my best shape ever.
You are rocking it. And enjoy that little man while he is still little. To add cliche on top of cliche…they grow up so so very fast but they never stop being your little baby.

Kristin @ FoodFash     at 9:30 am

I’m sure your comments are flooded with Cullen compliments, but my goodness he’s just so sweet!

Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous!     at 10:49 am

Cullen is absolutely too cute for words! I love all of his facial expressions! Congratulations on reaching your goal weight already!

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen     at 11:11 am

Cullen makes the cutest faces ever! That second picture just kills me!

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed     at 6:35 am

He is the CUTEST. All those adorable faces he makes… I’d stare at him all day too :) Congrats on your weight, soon enough you’ll be hitting the fitness milestones too. You rock!

christine @ Life's a Lasagna     at 7:05 am

My he is growing fast and so stinking adorable! I MISS my daughter at that age but her 5 year old spunkiness is too awesome. She had major reflux that wasn’t diagnosed until she was 7 months. I HATED medicating her but what a huge difference. She was much more pleasant and calm and happier once it was under control. Before, there would be days and nights of endless screaming (I can’t call it crying) that would just tear my heart apart. What I ate also made a HUGE difference. She was very, very sensitive. I had to cut out all herbs and spices, soy milk (was a big one), tomatoes, onions, even decaf coffee would be enough to give her a belly ache.

Lu     at 8:24 am

I love the second picture. He’s adorable!

STUFT Mama     at 10:32 am

OMG Emily- week 7 already? I can’t believe it! It’s going to keep getting faster and faster. Just wait! he is adorable!!! (You already know that I’m sure.) You’re going to have so much fun this Christmas. :) I’m so excited for you!
PS- I may have to put Recipage on my Christmas list. :) He he!

You should definitely put it on your xmas list! :)

Jen@FoodFamilyFitness     at 11:09 am

He gets cuter and cuter every time you post an update! My youngest and last child will be turning 4 in February and it literally does not seem possible that it has been 4 years since he was born!

Heidi - Apples Under My Bed     at 1:22 pm

A “day in the life with a baby” post would be awesome! Loving these posts :) he’s such a cutie. I love the hair line too hehe!
Heidi xo

Michelle     at 2:57 pm

Hi,
So glad you had a night out – you looked beautiful…I just made your butternut squash and black bean enchiladas…I am in love! Thank you for another healthy,delicious recipe!

Glad you enjoyed them! :)

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count     at 5:52 am

I Love the smiley Cullen pictures! He’s so cute!

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » One Year: Postpartum     at 9:21 pm

[...] came off slow and steady as expected.  I was actually back to my pre-pregnancy weight at seven weeks postpartum, although my body certainly looked and felt much different.  I did pretty minimal exercise, [...]

Heidi     at 9:53 am

I was inspired to look back at these posts after our walk yesterday. Love that you have this archive….especially because it all sounds so similar! (As I write this, he’s on my chest in the Ergo because he absolutely refuses to be put down right now. Very fussy baby this week!)