For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

Week 7: Growing Up Fast.

It is amazing to me how quickly the weeks seem to be going by.  I don’t honestly even remember what I used to do with my time, but I know that thinking I was ever  busy before is now laughable.  This guy keeps me on my toes all day long!  Good thing he is (usually) so much fun to spend my days with.

We had a rough couple of days at the beginning of the week.  Cullen would have long stretches of just seeming inconsolable, and I felt so sad that I didn’t know how to make him happy.

Dec 5 (640x427)

I think he might be battling some gas these days, so I’m trying to do extra burping and pay better attention to how he’s feeding.

He also doesn’t like to be put down much anymore.  His preference is to be held and walked around aaaaall day long, which is fun, but not entirely realistic.  By the end of the day we are both totally pooped.

He’s not a big fan of lying on his back this week, unless he’s in a really good mood.  If I’m lucky, I can convince him to hang on his playmat for a little bit so I can do things like eat lunch, go to the bathroom, and feed the dogs.  I can tell that developmentally he’s really starting to grow.  He has started actually batting at the toys on his mat, and a few times I’ve caught him holding onto things with his grasp!

He is also getting SO BIG!  He’s much heavier in my arms these days, which is both tiring and also nice.  I like having a big healthy baby.  His little newborn hair is starting to fall out a bit in the front, leaving him with a funny receding hairline.  He doesn’t seem to care.

Sleeping is going REALLY well.  I’m almost afraid to talk about it.  I’ll write more about it next week, but we’ve really gotten into a great nighttime routine.  Cullen goes to sleep right around 7:30 each night, and seems to only need to get up twice (sometimes even just once!) for a mid-night feeding.  It’s working well for all of us.

We went to our birth class reunion this week, and had such a great time meeting all the other babies!  It was great to see all our mom friends again, and to see how different all our little ones and our birth experiences turned out.  Cullen was having a particularly cranky morning the day of the reunion (screaming in my face most of the morning), but then acted like the perfect gentleman once we got there – sleepy, happy, smiley, and social.  Go figure!  No one believed me that he’s typically a big grump.

Dec 6 (640x433)

I already talked a lot about me this week, so you don’t need much of a postpartum update.  I feel so lucky to have the support and advice of so many experienced moms who have done all of this before.  I’m learning about parenting and postpartum life day by day.  Yesterday I learned that I shouldn’t actually be doing sit-ups as part of my workout routine – whoops!  I’ll definitely be modifying this and changing things up for next week.

I did have one pretty exciting postpartum moment this morning.  Stepping on the scale, I’m officially back to my pre-pregnancy weight.  Exciting!  Although to be honest, my goal for getting back into shape has very little to do with numbers.  My goal is to feel toned and strong again, and to learn how to use my new body to do some of my old favorite things.

More and more I’m finding that I also have a lot of new favorite things.  I used to go and go all day long, always feeling like I needed to have all my tasks completed and lists checked off by the end of the day.  Now I find that my inbox takes longer to clear, my writing is usually done much later in the day, and my recipe development is mostly limited to weekends.

I’m planning to try to write a “day in the life with a baby” post next week to give you guys an idea of what we do all day long.  Besides playtime, feeding time, diaper changes, and the other usual stuff, I also need to plan for time to do absolutely nothing other than sit, snuggle, sniff, and stare at my baby.  It’s good for both of us.

Tonight is our first evening away from Cullen, and his first time hanging out with babysitting friends.  I’m nervous about missing my little guy, but I’m also excited about a night out with Casey.  I can’t believe he’s almost two months old!

Amykinz @ Foodie 4 Healing     at 7:31 am

Your photos are so great, Emily! And I just wanted to say how proud of you I am that you and Casey are taking time to continue to develop your relationship. It’s soooo important, both for the two of you and for the security that Cullen will feel. You’re doing a great job at being a Mommy!

amy     at 9:05 am

ahhh i love when babies start to smile!! :) he’s a cutie!

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie     at 9:33 am

I love all of Cullens pictures!! He is so photogenic! I hope you get to put them all in a scrapbook, they are priceless!!

Shannon Bell     at 10:43 am

that last picture is just the sweetest–one of those you’ll show Cullen when he’s older :-) glad things are going so well, i love hearing all of the updates!

Amber K     at 11:06 am

He is just so adorable! I feel so busy without a baby, I can’t even imagine just how much work it adds. Of course, they are so worth it.

Lydia     at 1:35 pm

He is so cute! i love the little receding hairline!
Seeing your journey to get fit again is really inspiring. I always could kind of take or leave kids, and honestly, hearing women’s stories about how much their bodies changed after they give birth kind of tipped the scales away from me ever getting pregnant. This is pretty shallow, but seeing how quickly you’ve jumped back is making me reconsider!

Charlie @ the runner beans     at 2:26 pm

LOVE the reindeer top! I hope it was ok on your first night without him- very brave. I bet it was nice to let your hair down!

esmemerrie     at 3:37 pm

little old man baby! too funny! Emily you look fantastic even just chilling at home with your boy! Congratulations on being back to your goal weight! Do you have any idea if your body composition is similar to what it was?

Oh gosh, I dont think it’s anywhere near where it was. I’m sure my fat % is much higher now, but my body is just different in general. Even being back to my old weight, it doesn’t really look like it. My stomach looks very doughy! :)

Gabrielle     at 6:32 pm

He is so cute! Do you ever tire of reading us all telling you this?! :) I love his wardrobe too – fabulous little reindeer garb. Question for you though… has he spent time in that amazing nursery you decorated for him? I know you’re holding him a lot, and setting him in that cushiony thing, but what about that crib, and the stenciled wall, and the other gorgeosity in “his” room? Has he seen any of it yet, or will that wait until he’s a bit older? I guess after following along while you so carefully created it, I kind of want to see him in it. Do you spend time in that nice chair in there, at least?

Oh yes, we spend LOTS of time in the nursery!! The light isn’t as good in there, so my pictures are usually downstairs. We do all his feedings in the glider, so I’m probably in it for a few hours each day. We also play on the floor in his room, do baths in his whale tub in his bathroom, and use the changing table quite frequently. It has turned out to be a great space for him!

Elizabeth     at 6:40 pm

Nice work. Thats one cute baby. And congrats on the workouts too. Impressive!! Seriously. Some things never go back to the way they were before pregnancy… But after three kids believe it or not I am in my best shape ever.
You are rocking it. And enjoy that little man while he is still little. To add cliche on top of cliche…they grow up so so very fast but they never stop being your little baby.

Kristin @ FoodFash     at 9:30 am

I’m sure your comments are flooded with Cullen compliments, but my goodness he’s just so sweet!

Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous!     at 10:49 am

Cullen is absolutely too cute for words! I love all of his facial expressions! Congratulations on reaching your goal weight already!

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen     at 11:11 am

Cullen makes the cutest faces ever! That second picture just kills me!

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed     at 6:35 am

He is the CUTEST. All those adorable faces he makes… I’d stare at him all day too :) Congrats on your weight, soon enough you’ll be hitting the fitness milestones too. You rock!

christine @ Life's a Lasagna     at 7:05 am

My he is growing fast and so stinking adorable! I MISS my daughter at that age but her 5 year old spunkiness is too awesome. She had major reflux that wasn’t diagnosed until she was 7 months. I HATED medicating her but what a huge difference. She was much more pleasant and calm and happier once it was under control. Before, there would be days and nights of endless screaming (I can’t call it crying) that would just tear my heart apart. What I ate also made a HUGE difference. She was very, very sensitive. I had to cut out all herbs and spices, soy milk (was a big one), tomatoes, onions, even decaf coffee would be enough to give her a belly ache.

Lu     at 8:24 am

I love the second picture. He’s adorable!

STUFT Mama     at 10:32 am

OMG Emily- week 7 already? I can’t believe it! It’s going to keep getting faster and faster. Just wait! he is adorable!!! (You already know that I’m sure.) You’re going to have so much fun this Christmas. :) I’m so excited for you!
PS- I may have to put Recipage on my Christmas list. :) He he!

You should definitely put it on your xmas list! :)

Jen@FoodFamilyFitness     at 11:09 am

He gets cuter and cuter every time you post an update! My youngest and last child will be turning 4 in February and it literally does not seem possible that it has been 4 years since he was born!

Heidi - Apples Under My Bed     at 1:22 pm

A “day in the life with a baby” post would be awesome! Loving these posts :) he’s such a cutie. I love the hair line too hehe!
Heidi xo

Michelle     at 2:57 pm

Hi,
So glad you had a night out – you looked beautiful…I just made your butternut squash and black bean enchiladas…I am in love! Thank you for another healthy,delicious recipe!

Glad you enjoyed them! :)

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count     at 5:52 am

I Love the smiley Cullen pictures! He’s so cute!

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » One Year: Postpartum     at 9:21 pm

[…] came off slow and steady as expected.  I was actually back to my pre-pregnancy weight at seven weeks postpartum, although my body certainly looked and felt much different.  I did pretty minimal exercise, […]

Heidi     at 9:53 am

I was inspired to look back at these posts after our walk yesterday. Love that you have this archive….especially because it all sounds so similar! (As I write this, he’s on my chest in the Ergo because he absolutely refuses to be put down right now. Very fussy baby this week!)

Cookie     at 3:52 am