Postpartum Fitness: The 12-Week Update.

I haven’t mentioned too much about my fitness routine recently, but I assure you I’ve still been moving and working.  It took me close to six solid weeks to full feel recovered from childbirth.  Now that my delivery was almost three months ago (how is that possible?) I’m feeling a lot more like my old pre-pregnant self.

Cullen is most definitely a full time job, and since Casey works long hours and we don’t have any family here, he’s my sidekick for 95% of my days (and nights!).  Finding time to fit in workouts has been tricky, but it’s important to me, so I’m making it happen.  Casey has been really helpful in taking over baby duties so that I can squeeze in runs or even get out of the house for a yoga class.  Here’s how things are going at the 12-week mark…

Running and Marathon (?) Training

I have a training schedule in my Google Calendar, and I’m still hesitantly trying to train for the Flying Pig Marathon.  I have run this marathon three times in the past, and it’s my absolute favorite race.  My hope is to run the full marathon, but I’m also willing to be realistic that my expectations might be too high.  If I end up deciding to run a half marathon instead, I’ll likely choose a different race.  I think it would feel funny to run the half in Cincinnati, since the full marathon is so familiar to me.

So far getting back into running has been sort of slow, but a big part of that has just been finding the time for it.  Now that we’re developing more of a family schedule, it’s getting easier.  I’m running weekdays on Tuesday, Wednesdays, and Thursdays – usually shorter runs of 3 to 4 miles.  Most of these runs have been on our treadmill since I have to do them either early in the morning or late at night, when Seattle is too dark for outdoor running.

I do my longer runs on Saturday, and I try to do them outdoors if at all possible.  I truly HATE treadmill running, so trying to convince myself to do much more than three miles feels like torture.  I find that my runs are much stronger and much faster when I’m outside.  This past weekend, my pace was between 8:30 and 9:00 minute miles!  On the treadmill, I’m still running closer to a 10:00 minute pace.  Now that I have tested out the jogging stroller at Greenlake, I’m planning to take as many of my runs outside as possible.

Picture 7

I’m not sure that the marathon will happen, but I’m going to give it my best shot.  I’m using the basic training program from Hal Higdon that I’ve done in the past, so we’ll see how it goes.  My biggest concern is that my milk supply might drop, and if that happens I will have to readjust my goals.  Keeping my body in good shape for breastfeeding is my top priority.

Returning to Yoga

When I lived in Charlotte, yoga was a huge part of my life.  Depending on my work and school schedules, I would try to go every day.  On weekends, I would often go twice a day!  I find there to be something so calming and energizing about the yoga studio  – no cell phone, no distractions, just me focusing both my mind and body for 60 minutes of bliss.

When I lived in Alexandria, I never found a studio that I really connected with, and sadly I let yoga drop out of my life for a bit.  Now that we’re in Seattle, there is a yoga studio on practically every corner.  I did prenatal yoga classes during my pregnancy, but I’ve been itching to get back into the more intense, heated classes.

This past weekend, I tried out a new hot (95 degrees!) studio here with my friend Lacey.  It felt amazing to stretch and sweat again, and it reminded me how much I love incorporating yoga into my fitness routine.  It also reminded me that I am out of shape – OUCH!  I have been sore for days…

My hope is to be able to take a class once every week or two.  I know that’s not enough to make great improvements to my practice , but yoga is expensive, and that’s all I can budget right now.  It’s still a great way to relax and de-stress, and also to get out of the house for some time to myself.

Strength Training

Lifting weights and doing strength training has always been a big priority for me, and I think it’s essential for any complete workout program.  I haven’t been able to go back to my gym quite yet since I don’t have childcare, and Cullen is too young for their playroom.  Instead, I’ve been doing some great at-home workouts using the built in 15 pound weight that I lug around all day long…

IMG_7382 (425x640) IMG_7379 (425x640)

To see the rest of my at-home workouts, you can check out the 5 Exercises You Can Do (At Home!) With Your Baby over on Babble today!

So that’s how I’m doing now that I’m 12-weeks postpartum.  I’ll do more of a body/postpartum update when we get to the 3-month mark too.  I’m still getting the hang of it, but so far I’m happy with what I’ve been able to do to get back on track.

For more baby stuff, check out my guest post over on Fitnessista today!  Thanks, Gina!

Noelle (@singerinkitchen)     at 1:48 pm

UM you go! I tried your workout and my 10 week old loved it. We kept smiling at each other and I think it wore her out too! She is napping in my Moby, giving me a break from cluster feeding these past 3 days.

Awesome!!

Catherine     at 1:55 pm

Sheesh, a 10-minute mile on the treadmill? I am at about 14-15 (walking/running) and I thought I was doing ok. The first time I tried to run outside, I seriously thought my lungs were going to combust. You are so amazing for running this soon after giving birth – you’re my touchstone for sure!

Emily (Edible Psychology)     at 1:55 pm

This is awesome! I am so impressed, with both your work-outs and also your outlook.

Keep up the good work!

~Emily~

Marci     at 1:58 pm

Thanks for the reminder that my body will actually look normal again one day! Hard to believe it all goes back in to place…I hope! You look great and your plan sounds good.

Katie KS     at 2:03 pm

Glad you are being ok with whatever happens. You’ll only have the infant time and breastfeeding time with Cullen for a little while (though it seems like nursing goes on forever in the moment!) and marathons will hopefully be doable for a long time. And, hey, my goal is to walk the pig 5K with the double stroller so … :) (Honestly I can’t imagine what my chest would feel like after 4-5 hours of running. Can. Not. Imagine.) One of these days I’ll buy new shoes so I can run. But spending time with the kids is my priority after working all day so … I’m hanging with them most nights and relishing my Sunday pilates and Wednesday hour away at the gym! (Also I’m down 6 lbs from my starting weight with M – which was 3 lbs lower than I started with E – so no worries on the weight loss – LOL!)

jenna k     at 2:11 pm

i’m years from having a baby, but this post was an incredible reminder that i need to keep my workouts varied! i sadly let cardio go last night in order to do some strength training, but it’s really hard to keep the right mix.

Anna @ Blissfully Banana     at 2:14 pm

You’re doing an AWESOME job! Definitely should try to get in some weight training. I can’t believe how well you are doing postpartum…a lot better than me and I haven’t had any kids!

Coco     at 2:16 pm

It’s funny how yoga is one of those things in your life that continues to be more of an Ebb and Flow kind of thing. The strength of my practice directly correlates to what is going on in my life. There are times when I just can’t get enough and other times when it’s all I can do to teach my class once a week.
I can only image how difficult it is to fit in a workout with the little man needing you 24/7! I give you props :) and as far as your marathon goals- set them high!

Katie @ Serenity in the Storm     at 2:18 pm

Did you go to Bikram Yoga Seattle in Fremont? I go to the West Seattle studio and totally LOVE it! :-)

I went to Haute Yoga in Queen Anne, but Casey has been to the Fremont Bikram studio and he loved it. I might try that one next bc I know they are also a little more affordable.

PoochesForPeace (Anna H)     at 2:23 pm

Great job! I run a lot…. But not as fast as u. I’m trying to increase my pace a little from the slow jog I’m currently at!

Amy     at 2:26 pm

Wow- well done! It would be really interesting to know the types of food you are eating.. are you eating to lose weight, or is the weight just coming off with the breastfeeding and exercise?
You look healthy and fit!

It’s really mostly from breastfeeding, and I’m sure partly due to exercise. I’m eating all the same stuff as before, and probably eating more actually to keep up the milk supply!

Amy Reply:

Thanks for the reply.. interesting to know that baby weight can come off with just being healthy!

Brooke     at 2:27 pm

What kind of jogger/stroller did you get? And would recommend it? I’m expecting in July and I am so overwhelmed with all of the product choices! And PS. Good for you for already being up to 3-4 miles. I’m impressed!!

It’s the BOB Revolution CE, and we love it!!

Brooke Reply:

OOh, I was looking at these online at REI, but I was nervous that the infant seat wouldn’t snap in to the BOB. I bet the people at REI could answer all my quesions though. Thanks!

Alex @ Raw Recovery     at 2:40 pm

You look absolutely beautiful!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie     at 2:40 pm

You are so freaking brave to run a marathon. The most I did was a 5K 7mo or so after giving birth. You’re awesome.

I did mostly in home workouts post baby. Walking/running was hard because we had a record hot and dry summer and didn’t feel comfortable bringing my baby out in 100+ temps.

I loved the work outs though and now that I’m preg again I have to stick to yoga/walks (winter though ugh)/weights til post baby. haha

We’ll see if it happens! :)

Elizabeth     at 2:42 pm

Same thing happens to me on the treadmill! I’m so happy to know I’m not the only one. I blame it on my short legs and my cadence gets thrown off on that thing. Not sure if that has any fact to it, but it sounds good in my head. And i have the same Lulu top you’re wearing in your last pics – its’ SO comfy!!

Cara @ I Don't Believe in Diets     at 3:08 pm

Glad to see you have it so under control. I remember how buff my mom’s arms were because she ran a daycare and was always picking up kids!

maria @ a life to Bragg about     at 3:13 pm

UM LOVE your baby workout! I just posted a workout for moms who are busy and don’t have access to a gym but this is so much more fun! I love doing EVERYTHING with my baby. I have to get as much as I can with him now before he’s a teenager and I embarrass him haha :D

sarah     at 3:16 pm

benching cullen: brilliant.

Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs     at 3:28 pm

Sounds like you’re doing a great job of getting back it!
Keep it up Momma!

Stephanie     at 3:34 pm

I love reading your blog, and I have gotten my mom addicted too :) You may have heard of it already, but a really great online yoga streaming site is yogaglo. You may find that you don’t get the same blissed out feeling you get when going to a studio, but they have tons of awesome instructors (I think you would like Kathryn Budig, Tiffany Cruikshank, and Dice Iida-Klein), different class lengths, and a variety of uses (full workout, post run stretch). They also have a free 15 day trial. May be a way to get in some more yoga on a budget!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama     at 3:56 pm

My yoga practice has dwindled (sadly) since I had my kids 18 months ago. I was a faithful practitioner but it fell by the wayside as I focused my attention to taking care of the kiddos and running. I’ve missed yoga terribly and have committed to making 2012 the year it returns. So far it’s going well. Not as much as before but at least 1x/week. It sounds like you are on your way back to finding your fitness!

Tara from NC     at 3:58 pm

Congrats on feeling back to normal! Keep your goals so you can move towards them. Good luck!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)     at 4:21 pm

Great job Emily! I think you’ve got a great plan and I love that you are focused on getting into shape again for you. Sometimes moms get caught up in just being there for their kids, but when fitness is such a huge part of your life, it’s important for you to keep it up for you.

Simply Life     at 4:26 pm

I used to live near Greenlake and LOVED running/walking around that loop (and stopping at all the great cafes :)

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker     at 4:46 pm

Way to go, Emily! Sounds like a great plan. And I give you props for trying marathon training. Stephen and I both decided against marathon training in the next year (or even two) to focus on improving our 15K and half marathon times. I have no idea what focusing on speed work might do to my supply, but I’m hoping nothing bad. Like you, if I notice a drop, I’ll readjust. It’s all a trial and error game! Oh, and I love using Ada as a kettle bell :)

Yeah we’ll see how the training goes. It’s pretty unrealistic, but it’s worth a shot. :) I would rather do a fast half than a super slow full anyways.

Army Amy*     at 4:47 pm

You make yoga sound so good! My only experience with it has been from a DVD; I’ve never gone to a studio. I was just talking with a friend yesterday about the fact that I’m really curious to give it a go.*

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats     at 4:57 pm

you are superwoman! Haha you’re running outside at my pace, and i’m a 24 year old who’s never been pregnant, let alone 3 months ago!

madiella     at 5:10 pm

I just had a baby two weeks ago after a very tough/long labor that I have been struggling to recover from. I find these updates of yours so motivating, especially when I start to feel like I will never feel like myself again!

Can I ask how you like your treadmill, now that you have had it for a while? We are also planning to get a treadmill for similar reasons, and are thinking about the horizon treadmill as a good option. I’d love any feedback you have on it as it is always nice to hear real reviews. Thanks!

We love the treadmill! Casey uses it every day. It’s much more quiet than I was expecting, which is great.

Ashley     at 5:13 pm

Great job getting in a pattern already, that will definilty help you stick with it. I have been lifting my baby for 11 months now, and I am definitly stronger than ever, he still enjoys it, and I am constantly challenged as he gains more weight.

When you’re done feeding Cullen, I highly recommend P90X2, I am in week three and absolutly love it.

Keep it up, you’re doing great!

Kristina     at 5:14 pm

Fellow Seattleite here! If you do end up going the half marathon route and would like something more local I would definitely recommend the Whidbey Island half. It’s in April and it is a beautiful course!

I know you’re a fan of the Sutra Restaurant but have you been to their yoga studio next door? It’s my favorite :)

Great idea! Thank so much for the link! Haven’t tried Sutra yoga, but I should!

Tami     at 5:26 pm

Where domyou get all your head bands and do they stay on your head

You are doing a great job adjusting to your new life, cullenisna cutie!!!

They are Target sweatbands!

Carlee     at 6:09 pm

Emily sounds like you really have established a great way of life with Cullen.

As someone due in July, I keep getting comments like…you aren’t going to be able to do that anymore or wait till the baby comes… So it is so great to see that moms can still make time for the things they love (like running) even if it’s a different amount of time.

I’m dying to hear more about the jogging stroller. We have one, but it says we can’t use it for running until 8 months…very curious about when you can actually use it for a light, jog on a smooth bike path.

Ugh don’t listen to any of that. Those comments are not helpful, and so unnecessary. You will get into a rhythm after the first few weeks, and find ways to mesh your old life with the new. We have the BOB Revolution CE jogging stroller, and so far we love it! I JUST started jogging with C in the stroller/carseat combo (he’s about to be 3 months) but I only take it to one particular smooth trail.

Shari     at 6:25 pm

Great job getting back into running so quickly! I would love to see more posts about strength training once you get back to the gym.

kristen @ verbs and vignettes     at 6:28 pm

in that photo outside with the stroller, you like like a perfect combo of both of your sisters! adorable.

i love the baby workout, by the way. :-)

Chelsea     at 6:54 pm

You’re doing a great job and already more active as a mother than nearly half America post-birth I bet lol :)

Lindsay @ FuelMyFamily     at 7:01 pm

I also wanted to train for a half marathon but once i got up to 5 mile runs I felt like my milk was lessening. So I am back to my normal 3 and my milk is fine. I know plenty of women train for marathons while nursing and it works fine for them. I just think it varies depending on the person.

Victoria     at 7:53 pm

Alright. I hate to tell you this but you have it SOO much better in Seattle. Complaining about snow and icy roads? The other day I saw a post about little sunlight and few hours of sunlight. And I see you running inside on a treadmill. Let me tell you. I’m from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Today it was -30 C with a windchill of -43C. With no sun. THIS is winter. And I still dont feel the need to complain. It is what it is. I run outside most of the winter. On the ice. Through the snow. Every day. I only take my workouts inside when the windchill hits -25C. Ive been to Vancouver and Seattle many times during the winter. Its the most glorious winter running conditions. Rain, clouds and all. Its no -43. No risk of getting frostbite in less than 5 min or having to run from car to building. Im just so sick of reading about people complaining about their ‘winters’.

Victoria Reply:

Oh and might I add that I run outside early in the morning in the pitch black MOST OFTEN…. just to get in a run before work/university classes. I would LOVE to be running in Seattle temperatures without snow.

I’m not sure why we are competing for who has a worse winter? (Clearly you!) I don’t think mentioning that it is snowy outside means that I’m complaining. It’s a fact – there is ice on the sidewalks. And while you obviously feel comfortable running on ice, I don’t. Particularly running in the dark sounds quite dangerous to me, but that is your choice, just as running on the treadmill is mine.

Katie     at 9:17 pm

Haha, using the baby for weight-lifting is such a good idea! I’ll have to remember that when I have chilluns of my own :)

Emily     at 9:37 pm

I usually do longer runs around Green Lake on Sundays (once the SNOW CLEARS!) if you would ever like to join me for a lap. The baby is of course invited : )

That sounds fabulous! I would love to!

Emily Reply:

Let’s do it then! Stay safe!!!! Freezing rain is scary business!

Cyndi     at 2:15 am

Looks like your doing a great job getting back into running and working out. It’s always a challenge to get in a workout when you have kids (I have two but are no longer babies!) It gets easier. You mentioned workouts are important to you so you make it happen…which is soo true. I used to get up at 4:30am to get in a run!

That is impressive!!

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables     at 5:36 am

You look great, and it’s impressive that you’re even finding time at all for yourself at this point. But exercising makes you feel good, so I’m glad to hear you’re still making it a priority!

Jessica     at 5:40 am

I have found I can push myself pretty hard exercising without a drop in supply, as long as I eat enough. As soon as I try and watch calories and exercise both pretty hard, the supply drop comes. So if you see a supply drop, I would try and increase your calories (I realize you dont count, but you know what I mean) and see if that helps. If it doesn’t THEN back off on your training.

Great advice! Thanks Jessica!

Anne     at 5:55 am

That marathon training seems like kind of low in mileage… Have you tried that one before ? My half marathon training looks like yours in fact.

I’ve done this training program before – it’s the novice program. Meant to be basic, for beginners. And while I’ve done plenty of marathons, I’m sort of starting over now, so i thought it was a good fit for me. If you look toward the end of training you’ll see 17, 18, and 20 mile training runs. I’d be surprised if a half marathon plan went up that high!

Anne Reply:

Yes sorry, I use km, my training is in km not in miles, that’s why I was mistaken !

Annie     at 6:57 am

I always did squats while holding my son. It put him to sleep! Good for you for getting back on track so soon! My son is almost 1 and I still don’t have a schedule down. I try to fit in 30 mins 5 days/week but with work it’s hard to just not relax after the baby goes to sleep!

Nichol     at 7:36 am

Is that the Chicco Keyfit car seat? Looking for something that fits onto the jogging stroller! Thanks!

Yep, Chicco Keyfit 30!

Leah     at 8:54 am

Yoga is expensive. Thank the Gods of Groupon for making it $3/class instead of $17.

Jen Papaya     at 10:17 am

Expensive yoga problem solved!

I go to a few of the ny locations of Yoga To The People and I am in LOVE. All the power vinyasa flow classes are donation based – they say $10 recommended but I’ve never paid more than $5, and they always stress that whatever you can give is fine. I’ve also had teachers specifically say that if you’re coming more than once a week that of course they don’t expect you to pay $10 each time. If it’s near your home you should absolutely check it out!

Good idea! That’s not too far from me. Perhaps I will check them out.

Thank you!

Emily     at 10:17 am

Nice job getting back to it!

Hope you make it here for the marathon, but its obviously understandable if you don’t!

Stacy     at 10:43 am

I actually found your blog recently when I was googling the Flying Pig. It will be my first marathon and I’m also using the Hal Higdon plan. Did you modify at all? It has 2 rest days per week scheduled and I’m usually a 6 days a week exerciser. I’ve been considering adding yoga to one rest day and I’m just curious if you modified at all.

I have done this plan before with modifications, but I think for my schedule now, the 4 days a week of running is best for me. I usually do a longer walk or yoga on Sundays, and rest on Friday and Monday. Hope to see you there!

Amber K     at 11:44 am

Wow, you’re rocking the fitness! It’s making me feel totally lazy, lol. It’s so good that you’re still taking time for yourself :)

Anna     at 11:51 am

How fun and creative that you made up exercises with Cullen! It will be an easy way to improve your strength since your weights will automatically continue increasing…ha. You are doing a great job staying motivated, girl! Keep it up!

Amy     at 12:13 pm

I’m doing something a little different this year. I signed up for the Indy Mini and the Flying Pig 1/2 this year! Two 1/2 marathons on the same weekend! I couldn’t face the long training runs so I thought this would be a good way to break it up.

hannah alehandra     at 1:11 pm

Oh this post has reminded me of how much I miss yoga! Really want to get back into it now. It’s just soo relaxing.

mary     at 3:12 pm

Emily – Check out the online yoga classes. Sites like YogaVibes are less than $20 a month for unlimited classes and there are classes with some the best teachers in the nation. since I am somewhat of a yoga newbie I was a bit skeptical but have found them to be very useful and easy to work into my schedule.

Mia     at 3:36 pm

Hi Emily, I think others have mentioned online yoga classes above – there is also the 21-day yoga challenge on yogajournal.com – which is FREE! You sign up and you get an email every morning with a 30-minute (more or less) video. They mix up the focus of the videos for variety (one day core, another day hip opening, another day back bends, etc), which is nice. There is also yogaglo.com, which is I believe $18/month for unlimited yoga. They let you do a free 2-week trial, which is nice. I too find many yoga studios to be expensive, so I like going to a group class at a studio once a week and then doing a home practice the rest of the week. Your postpartum exercise is inspiring!

jen     at 3:45 pm

i swear i was in the best shape of my life and fastest when i was doing most of my runs with the stroller. my kid loved it too. he is 6 now and we donated the stroller to value village about a month ago. my 6 year old was so emotional about us getting rid of it and did not want to let it go even though it has been almost 2 years since he took a ride in it. i am pleased that i created such good memories or feelings for him. now he tags along on his bike when weather permits and he feels like it. we had a lot of special times together on our runs. every once and a while he would push me in it too. now i am getting emotional about it! sniff sniff.

Kristy     at 12:28 pm

Random Question- what kind of running shoes do you wear? I’m in big-time need for a new pair and haven’t been happy with my last two.

Kate     at 3:46 pm

Another random question, what shirts did you wear to workout when you were pregnant? (Is it the same empire waist one you have on in your picture lifting Cullen?) I’m wearing my husbands t-shirts, and they are less than flattering.

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie     at 9:24 pm

You’re right–yoga (especially heated) is so expensive :(

Natalie     at 9:19 am

Awesome that you’re training and love the baby/mom exercises. One question…how do you handle feeding while you’re at a yoga class? Do you have a bottle on hand? My son is 2 months and his feeding schedule is still unpredictable so I’m finding it hard to actually schedule anything at the moment. Thanks!

Yep, I leave a bottle behind with Casey just in case. Although when I went he didn’t end up needing it, since Cullen tends to go 3 hours now between feedings. I made it back just in time!

Natalie Reply: