For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

Simple Things.

Happy Monday!  We had a nice relaxing weekend, mostly spent trying to recover from what has been a somewhat rough week.

Cullen is going through a maaaaajor sleep regression, and I’m only averaging about 4 hours of sleep each night now.  I know it’s normal for his age and his development, and I know I did it before when he was a newborn, but it is TOUGH to go from sleeping 7-8 hours to suddenly only getting 2 at a time.

So this weekend involved naps, couch time, recovery for all of us.

2012-01-29 17.30.07

And in between we did a few walks, and I even did a 4.5 mile run!  I have some new (more realistic!) running plans in place that I’m going to share more about this week.  I’m excited to finally have a plan that feels comfortable and attainable.

2012-01-29 11.32.40

I also ate a TON of food.

I’ve always had a huge appetite and often get made fun of for my gigantic portions, but breastfeeding has taken this to a whole new level.  I now feel like I eat twice as much as Casey, and often find myself still starving at the end of the day.  I can’t keep up!

Even though I’m running on very little sleep and feel pretty overwhelmed these days, I can’t help but continue to just feel so blessed every time I kiss Cullen’s little cheeks.  Yesterday I got him dressed, and had a flashback to when I bought his little cardigan sweater.  I was 11-weeks pregnant, and it was the very first baby item I bought.  I remember thinking it looked so BIG!

And here we are ten months later…a perfect fit.

It’s the little, simple things like a baby sweater that make every minute so worth it, and each day so special.  Of course I appreciate those moments a little bit more when we sleep a little longer, but for now I’ll take what I can get.

Kris     at 7:18 pm

My sympathy on the lack of sleep. It’s going to happen a lot of times in your life :)

Laura @ She Eats Well     at 8:14 pm

Props to you. You look amazing and healthy despite the lack of sleep. I feel like the body is in fight or flight mode! Cullen is simply too adorable.

Aw, thanks Laura! I needed that. :)

Kristen @ Life as an Americanadian     at 8:22 pm

Eeeeek baby cardigan cuteness!

Kit-Kat     at 8:46 pm

My mom breast-fed all of us kids, and no regrets. They say the risk of asthma developing during childhood is greatly reduced if the mother breastfeeds :-)

Brittany     at 9:27 pm

He’s really turning into a little boy! So precious.

Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee     at 4:16 am

Awww he looks so adorbs in his lil’ baby sweater. Congratulations on getting back to running so well! I bet really soon you’ll be running marathons with Cullen in a jogging stroller. :)

hannah alehandra     at 4:32 am

Oh Emily! Hope you manage to get more sleep soon. He does look adorable in that cardigan. Love what you’re eating!

Leanne (Bride to Mrs.)     at 4:53 am

The simple things in life are always the best!

Motherhood looks good on you Em! :)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers     at 8:18 am

OMG! 10 months already, didn’t you just have him?? Time is going way to fast! I think you should have a spa day to relax and rejuvinate!

Haha ten months since I bought the sweater. :) He’s only three months old!

Kathy     at 8:22 am

For quite a while I though Cullen looked like hubby, but now, he is really changing his looks. I can see your distinct features now. What a cutie he is. And he is growing so fast. Love the sweater. You never seem to get used to being sleep deprived. I LOVE my sleep. It will return. Hang in there.

Meagan     at 12:36 pm

Those tacos look really good!! :) And that’s funny about the appetite thing. I wonder if I will experience that when I have children.

sylvs     at 3:36 pm

Its interesting to know what your eating while your breastfeeding, so many vegetarian women have problems and revert back to a meat based diet, which is something i’m worried about. Interested to know if you have only increased portions in grains/beans/tofu or if you have increased in animal products such as eggs or cheese?

I haven’t felt any urge to go back to eating meat (probably the opposite, really). I definitely have increased portions (and still eat eggs!), but don’t really crave anything different now.

Debbie     at 10:55 am

Hi. I just found your blog and think you’re an amazing person! I just wanted to let you know that I’m certified sleep consultant and would be happy to help you get you and your family back to sleep! Shoot me an email if you’d like some support. It’s so hard to be at our best when we’re sleep deprived!

Kel     at 1:42 pm

Emily – hang in there! When I cannot sleep at night I have been reading your old posts, through culinary school. Someday I will catch up to current time! It has been fun to get to know you and maybe one day we can meet in person.

Your running plan sounds reasonable and I bet if you stay hydrated your won’t have any problems with breast feeding.

running shoes