Simple Things.

Happy Monday!  We had a nice relaxing weekend, mostly spent trying to recover from what has been a somewhat rough week.

Cullen is going through a maaaaajor sleep regression, and I’m only averaging about 4 hours of sleep each night now.  I know it’s normal for his age and his development, and I know I did it before when he was a newborn, but it is TOUGH to go from sleeping 7-8 hours to suddenly only getting 2 at a time.

So this weekend involved naps, couch time, recovery for all of us.

2012-01-29 17.30.07

And in between we did a few walks, and I even did a 4.5 mile run!  I have some new (more realistic!) running plans in place that I’m going to share more about this week.  I’m excited to finally have a plan that feels comfortable and attainable.

2012-01-29 11.32.40

I also ate a TON of food.

I’ve always had a huge appetite and often get made fun of for my gigantic portions, but breastfeeding has taken this to a whole new level.  I now feel like I eat twice as much as Casey, and often find myself still starving at the end of the day.  I can’t keep up!

Even though I’m running on very little sleep and feel pretty overwhelmed these days, I can’t help but continue to just feel so blessed every time I kiss Cullen’s little cheeks.  Yesterday I got him dressed, and had a flashback to when I bought his little cardigan sweater.  I was 11-weeks pregnant, and it was the very first baby item I bought.  I remember thinking it looked so BIG!

And here we are ten months later…a perfect fit.

It’s the little, simple things like a baby sweater that make every minute so worth it, and each day so special.  Of course I appreciate those moments a little bit more when we sleep a little longer, but for now I’ll take what I can get.

Lisa     at 12:34 pm

I love how much you love Cullen! It takes me back to when I had my first daughter. I think I held her for the first 6 months of her life because I was so glad she was MINE :) That same girl will be 13 in 3 weeks – and I still love her that much! Congrats to you and Casey!

Angie Reply:

Awww, this comment made me smile! I have a 10 month old and just today we were playing and I couldn’t stop staring at him and thinking how glad I was that I get to be his mom. I feel so incredibly lucky. I was wondering if the feeling would ever fade at all, but I think you’ve proven it’s only going to increase!

Lisa Reply:

Being a mom changes as they get older but there are so many more things to be proud of! Congrats on your little one too :)

Sana     at 12:34 pm

Cullen looks like a little man in the sweater, so lovely!

colleen     at 12:37 pm

Oh no! It looks like Indy and Huey ‘found a new friend’ in the first photo. My daughter still plays with a repaired stuffed dog our lab ‘befriended’ years ago when our first son was born.

Ugh yes. Poor monkey!

Katie     at 12:37 pm

Just wanted to say I recently discovered your blog, and I love seeing updates on Cullen. What a cutie! I have a (almost) 7 month old daughter, so it’s fun for me to get a reminder of what she was like months ago because it’s hard to remember, as she’s growing up too fast! Anyways, love your blog. I used to live downtown Seattle in South Lake Union but have since moved to the ‘burbs. :( I think I’m also living vicariously through your downtown living!
I thought I’d also recommend one of my favorite places to eat— Cactus (I believe there’s a new one in SLU, but the one on Alki has great views), they have the best butternut squash & goat cheese enchiladas…and mojitos!

Thank you Katie! :) I will definitely check out Cactus – YUM.

Amy@ahealthyandhappyheart     at 12:38 pm

aww Cullen looks adorable in that sweater! Hopefully you can get more sleep soon :)

Brittany (Healthy slice of life)     at 12:40 pm

Lately I’ve been focusing on the little things, too. I don’t know if I’ve read too many sad stories lately or what, but I love every moment I have with hailey and find myself missing her sometimes when she is sleeping. I hope I never overlook how blessed I am to have a healthy, happy baby girl.
And Cullen in that cardigan?! Such an adorable little man!

Looks great on him! I can’t believe it fits. It still looked so big in the picture of you holding it up. Babies sure grow quickly!

Ms. Adams     at 12:49 pm

I love that you have a before and after picture of the cardigan. What a cute idea. I hope this week gets better. Sending lots of positive vibes your way.

erica     at 12:51 pm

awww! cullen is rockin’ that sweater! did you take a cullen and mommy sweater picture? i hope you did!

Haha I think that might be going too far. Can’t have him matching his mommy. :) I’ll wait until I have a girl for that!

Claire     at 12:51 pm

I think you’ve mentioned this before, but would you mind reminding me where you get your headbands (like the black one you’re wearing in this post) from?

Target! They are Goody brand extra wide bands sold in 2-packs!

Amy Reply:

I wear the same ones and they are fantastic!

Jessica     at 12:52 pm

It sounds like Cullen is hitting the 4 month “wakeful” period a little early. I promise it will pass. It may also be teething. Either way – take naps when you can and it will be over soon!

I also think he is teething! Yikes!

sallymae     at 12:56 pm

Oh my gosh. I completely agree about the breastfeeding appetite. I kind of hate it because I feel so sluggish after I eat so much, but it’s like I can’t stop. And the thirst! It is crazy!

Lisa @ The Splattered Apron     at 12:57 pm

The sleep regression is the WORST. It’ll be over soon, hang in there! I love how the cardigan makes Cullen look so dapper. I am sure he is already a little gentleman. Caroline sends him kisses!

Jen     at 1:04 pm

A baby in an American Apparel Cardigan. Is there ANYTHING cuter? Ps I love him more and more as his cheeks get bigger and bigger :)

Nope, nothing cuter. :) I miss you!!

Leah     at 1:06 pm

I’ve been wondering if he fit into that sweater you bought. Weird the things I remember!!

Mandy     at 1:06 pm

Oooof.. sleep regression is normal around 3 1/2 months?! Uhoh.. I better prepare.

Sarah     at 1:07 pm

I’m with you on the huge portions! Breastfeeding + exercising= lots of food for this new mama.
I hope you get some quality sleep- SOON!

kara     at 1:09 pm

Cullen sure looks a whole lot like you now! Good luck getting back to a normal/better sleep schedule!

Rachel     at 1:09 pm

What is it about babies in grown-up clothing that is SO CUTE?

HRCK the Herald     at 1:09 pm

Omg, he looks JUST like Casey!!

Catherine Reply:

I was going to say the exact same thing! Every time you post a new picture, he looks even more like him :)

Anna     at 1:24 pm

Congrats on getting back into running! Cullen is growing so fast! Hope he grows out of this little non-sleep stage just as fast :)

Melissa     at 1:26 pm

We’re right there with you on the sleep regression over here in Bellevue. My little guy is going to be 4 months on Thursday (not sure how that happened so fast) and he’s been sick, teething and now waking every two hours just for some comfort and help getting back to sleep. Makes working pretty difficult, but his smiles, giggles and chubby cheeks make it all worth it.

Hang in there and no you’re not the only sleepless mommy in Seattle!! There are many of us walking zombies. :)

So frustrating! Hope you start sleeping soon as well!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)     at 1:31 pm

Reading about Cullen makes me miss my guys being little again. I love how they are now, but I get that achy feeling sometimes and really miss the little cuddles. Sorry about the lack of sleep. It will get better.

Kaci     at 1:57 pm

Awhhh he looks so cute in his sweater. =)

Lauren @ Lawfully Wedded Wife     at 2:09 pm

That sweater is ABSOLUTELY ADORABLE on him! What a precious little man he is!

greenbean     at 2:11 pm

there you are! i so missed the weekly (now monthly) update last friday

I’m here! :) Didn’t mean to disappear for a few days, but needed the break!

Michaela     at 2:14 pm

Looooove that cardigan!
And Cullen is just such a cutie-pie. He grew so much already from the last pic. And he has got some hair now :D

Yes – finally growing hair on top!

Emily @LivingLongfellow     at 2:38 pm

Agreed, it’s the simple things in life that make it so wonderful. I’m sitting at a coffee shop right now doing homework, and despite the fact that I’m staring at math problems, my cute tea pot in front of me is making it all worth it. Thanks for the reminder :)

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More     at 3:22 pm

I can’t believe how big he’s getting! He looks like such a little man in that sweater. So adorable! :)

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama     at 3:30 pm

Hope he gets back to his normal sleep routine soon. He is such a cutie!

Anna @ On Anna's Plate     at 3:38 pm

Such a handsome guy!! I hope he (and you!!) falls into a more regular sleep routine soon. I am NOT looking forward to that part of motherhood, but it seems to come with the territory!

Nina     at 3:41 pm

Cullen looks very dapper in his sweater. :)

Julia     at 4:15 pm

He is probably just going through a growth spurt. I’m sure he will be back on track soon. Try to nap when he naps to make up some sleep. I know it can be very hard on only four hours of sleep. Our daughter was not a great sleeper as an infant, so I know where you are coming from. Cullen is adorable by the way!!

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme)     at 4:16 pm

Oh my gosh! All of a sudden he’s looking so much older, I can’t believe how quickly babies develop.

Here’s hoping this week goes more smoothly and more zzz’s are in your future!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama     at 4:24 pm

Ah, yes, I remember this happening with my 2 around four months. It will pass but I remember how tough it was to readjust your sleeping habits.

Cullen is such a cutie! I love his cheeks!

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker     at 4:26 pm

a.) sleep regression?! you’re scaring me!!! (but hope you get more rest soon…) b.) i am counting the days till i can fit ada into the first thing i bought her, too – a little green dress. she should fit into it any day now! so exciting :)

well. i am going to tell stephen to thank his lucky stars that ada is still sleeping a lot tonight, because it seems like it might not last much longer!

Ahhh it is TRUE! Apparently happens right around/before four months, and it is UGLY. We are up every 3 hours now, and he’s up for the DAY at 5am. Not fun! Enjoy it while you can! :)

Annalisa     at 4:57 pm

We went through a sleep regression period at 3 1/2 months that lasted until 5 months. We went from great night sleeping (5-6 hrs stretches but sleeping 12 hours a night) to WAKING.EVERY.HOUR. OMG. I never wish that on anyone. My pediatrician was great and told us to ride the wave and find ways to cope – my husband re-arranged his schedule some days to let me nap and/or sleep in. He would also take the baby at night when he could so I could sleep a bit more. Now at 9 months, we still don’t STTN but we do OK and I feel rested on an average of 7 hours a night.

This better not last that long! Haha. Yeah we are waking every 3 hours or so, and refusing to go back to sleep after 5am. Not fun!

Amy     at 5:19 pm

I can’t even with the baby cardigan. Too cute. I can’t stand it. I really enjoy reading your updates on Cullen — they are helping me prepare for my own upcoming life with a newborn! I am due in just 10 weeks. (eeeeeek) I love your peaceful attitude toward mothering, too. I find it so encouraging!

Thanks Amy! Congrats to you – ten weeks!!!

Lolly     at 5:19 pm

***fans self***
Casey with a little facial grub looks smokin’ hot!!! At certain angles, he has this Colin Firth lord of the manor Jane Austen thing going on.
Dang!!!

Haha! I totally agree. :)

Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs     at 5:21 pm

Oh my goodness, that cardigan is TOO CUTE on your little man :)

mi-an d.     at 5:25 pm

omg!Super duper cute cardigan!!! cullen looks so adorable!! also quick q, i notice you always wear headband when working out. which kind do you wear? i’m always on the look out for the best one. so far, my fave is sweatybands! they really.stay.put!

Goody brand headbands from Target – sold in two packs!

Lauren     at 5:28 pm

He is getting so handsome! I can’t get over his cuteness. :)

Megan     at 5:31 pm

Will he sleep in your bed? That wass the only way I didn’t go crazy with my wakeful babies.

He will, but it makes me sooooo nervous. I’ve been pulling him into bed with me this past week at 5am each day, since that is when he decides he is no longer sleeping!

Melissa Reply:

I’ve been doing the same thing and I wouldn’t worry too much. I tried putting my son with me in bed when he was a newborn and I was way too nervous because he was so small! Now he is almost 4 months and I’m much more okay with it, especially if it means we all get a little more sleep. Even small babies have survival instincts!Plus I’m sure you don’t sleep all that soundly when your baby is in bed with you, I know I don’t.

Coco     at 5:41 pm

Aww poor monkey.. What a bummer that you haven’t been able to get a whole lot of sleep. But I’m sure it will pass quickly.. Great job staying active and running 4.5!! What an accomplishment!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 6:13 pm

Ugh, sorry about the sleeping situation.

On another note, Cullen looks like a completely different baby in these pictures!!!

Monica     at 6:13 pm

Sorry to hear you are feign so overwhelmed. Every time I feel that way I just keep reminding myself that the chaos of the first year is so short in the greater scheme of things.

Hang in there, sleep is right around the corner. :)

TeenyLittleSuperChef     at 6:14 pm

Cullen looks like an adorable little English chap in his tiny cardigan. He’s getting cuter and cuter every day. Sorry for the lack of sleep lately. I know it goes with the territory but it still doesn’t make it any easier. At least maybe you can steal a few naps in there every once and a while. I take one pretty much on a daily basis and I don’t even have a kiddo.. just a narcoleptic dog :)

Katie Bucco     at 6:20 pm

Emily, I can’t believe how big he is getting!! That little cardigan is absolutely precious. I thought mine had finally managed to move his way out of that “wakeful” period by sleeping through the night twice last week, but no such luck. Back to his old routine of waking up every two hours..oh well, more snuggle time for me I guess.

I try to tell myself the same thing – more time to snuggle! :)

Rachel     at 7:02 pm

Nooo poor Barbara Ann!! Looks like the big guys are all ganging up on her….but with a bit of surgery, I’m sure she’ll turn out just fine ;)
Cullen is getting to be such a chinker-chunks by the way…too sweet!

Barbara Ann has been mutilated! And Casey is calling her Phil Collins. Don’t ask. :)

ash @ http://peacehappinessyoga.blogspot.com/     at 7:08 pm

Cullen is adorable!!!! I hope you get some sleep soon!!

Kris     at 7:18 pm

My sympathy on the lack of sleep. It’s going to happen a lot of times in your life :)

Laura @ She Eats Well     at 8:14 pm

Props to you. You look amazing and healthy despite the lack of sleep. I feel like the body is in fight or flight mode! Cullen is simply too adorable.

Aw, thanks Laura! I needed that. :)

Kristen @ Life as an Americanadian     at 8:22 pm

Eeeeek baby cardigan cuteness!

Kit-Kat     at 8:46 pm

My mom breast-fed all of us kids, and no regrets. They say the risk of asthma developing during childhood is greatly reduced if the mother breastfeeds :-)

Brittany     at 9:27 pm

He’s really turning into a little boy! So precious.

Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee     at 4:16 am

Awww he looks so adorbs in his lil’ baby sweater. Congratulations on getting back to running so well! I bet really soon you’ll be running marathons with Cullen in a jogging stroller. :)

hannah alehandra     at 4:32 am

Oh Emily! Hope you manage to get more sleep soon. He does look adorable in that cardigan. Love what you’re eating!

Leanne (Bride to Mrs.)     at 4:53 am

The simple things in life are always the best!

Motherhood looks good on you Em! :)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers     at 8:18 am

OMG! 10 months already, didn’t you just have him?? Time is going way to fast! I think you should have a spa day to relax and rejuvinate!

Haha ten months since I bought the sweater. :) He’s only three months old!

Kathy     at 8:22 am

For quite a while I though Cullen looked like hubby, but now, he is really changing his looks. I can see your distinct features now. What a cutie he is. And he is growing so fast. Love the sweater. You never seem to get used to being sleep deprived. I LOVE my sleep. It will return. Hang in there.

Meagan     at 12:36 pm

Those tacos look really good!! :) And that’s funny about the appetite thing. I wonder if I will experience that when I have children.

sylvs     at 3:36 pm

Its interesting to know what your eating while your breastfeeding, so many vegetarian women have problems and revert back to a meat based diet, which is something i’m worried about. Interested to know if you have only increased portions in grains/beans/tofu or if you have increased in animal products such as eggs or cheese?

I haven’t felt any urge to go back to eating meat (probably the opposite, really). I definitely have increased portions (and still eat eggs!), but don’t really crave anything different now.

Debbie     at 10:55 am

Hi. I just found your blog and think you’re an amazing person! I just wanted to let you know that I’m certified sleep consultant and would be happy to help you get you and your family back to sleep! Shoot me an email if you’d like some support. It’s so hard to be at our best when we’re sleep deprived!

Kel     at 1:42 pm

Emily – hang in there! When I cannot sleep at night I have been reading your old posts, through culinary school. Someday I will catch up to current time! It has been fun to get to know you and maybe one day we can meet in person.

Your running plan sounds reasonable and I bet if you stay hydrated your won’t have any problems with breast feeding.