Week 12: So Much Personality.

Sigh.  These Fridays keep creeping up on me.  I know I should be happy that my baby is thriving, but man if it doesn’t kill me that he is growing up so quickly.

We had a really great week this week.  Of course we have our off moments like any mom/baby team, but long gone are the days of being grumpy and grouchy all day long.  I know it sounds weird, but I feel like over the course of 12 weeks, Cullen and I have become friends that hang out all day long.

We had quite a big week as far as milestones go.  The biggest change was that we moved Cullen into his crib a few days ago. Since then, I’ve become a baby monitor stalker.

We started by moving him to the crib for naps, which went really well.  Last night, we bit the bullet and moved him in there overnight.  It felt really…strange.  Normally in the evenings, we swaddle him and let him hang out on his Boppy pillow on the couch with us while we eat and watch TV.  Last night our living room felt a little lonely.  I only went up to check on him twice before going to bed myself.

He did really well in there overnight, and only had to get up once for a middle of the night feeding.  It felt great to get a few extra hours of sleep!

Now that he has discovered his hands, they are in his mouth approximately 92% of the time.  He’s never been a big pacifier fan, but now he won’t even bother with it.  His fingers appear to taste much much better.

And with those hands, he’s starting to reach out and try to grab toys now.  I read somewhere that babies will only grab toys from the side at first, so I’ve been trying to introduce them and hand them to him while we play.

He has also made a new friend.

His fuzzy monkey plays with us all the time, and I love seeing his little personality come to life while he plays.

Speaking of personality, his expressions are absolutely ridiculous these days.

He is so expressive, and it cracks me up all day long.

I wish I knew what he was thinking.

The other big change this week is that we’ve finally started using cloth diapers!  It’s only been a few days, and I’m still getting the hang of it, but so far so good.  I am still adjusting to seeing him with his GIANT diaper butt.

I thought a lot this week about how many moms go back to work after a 12-week maternity leave.  I feel ridiculously lucky to get to stay with him during the day, and remind myself of that often so that I never take it for granted.

Overall, it’s been a great week.  Looking forward to a weekend of relaxing at home just the three of us!

For more parenting posts, visit the parenting page!

This week’s Babble posts…

Laura     at 9:44 pm

Aww, those facial expressions totally put a smile on my face! He’s so adorable.

Carla (Will Run for Health)     at 9:52 pm

Without a doubt one of the most beautiful babies I’ve ever laid eyes on.

Jess @JessCantCook     at 9:53 pm

Oh my gosh, those faces made me laugh so hard I cried! I had to show them to my husband, he said “That is such a cute baby!” We just spent a few days with our friends and their 6 month old which was the first real time we’ve spent around a baby, especially since getting married 3 months ago. I think my husband is more excited to start a family (in the future) than I am!

Mandy     at 10:10 pm

He’s adorable! I love his expressions.

Logan will touch things all the time, but he only grabs on to a select few things.. y’know, like my hair and necklace. And a toy monkey. WIP!

And ohhh yes the hands in mouth. So funny! We just got him a Sophie and he’s taking to her really well. He loves the noises she makes.

Katie     at 10:13 pm

That first face made me laugh so hard! What a great baby :)

kelli h     at 10:27 pm

Gosh, his expressions are classic! You’re one lucky mama.

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama     at 12:43 am

What a handsome little guy! I love the picture with his monkey. Adorable!

I still stalk my kids on their monitor at 18 months. It’s fun to watch and it’s a great reassurance that everything is o.k.

Kristy @ KristyRuns     at 1:22 am

His expressions are the best! His cute outfits are pretty awesome, too. :)

emily     at 1:23 am

He is so gorgeous! I think I’d be heartbroken to have to go back to work after 12wks ~ I know it’s the way of the world for so many though.

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog)     at 2:00 am

Oh my goodness, what a cutie! His expressions are fantastic! So incredible that we can capture these experiences effortlessly these days. :)

Emily (Edible Psychology)     at 2:15 am

Haha, I absolutely love his facial expressions! He gets more adorable every week!

~Emily~

Brittnie (A Joy Renewed)     at 3:26 am

His facial expressions are priceless! What a cute kid. I nanny two kids each day (4 yrs and 2 yrs) and the 2 year old makes the funniest expressions all day long. I love it. I know what you mean about becoming buddies and just hanging out all day. I cannot wait to experience this with my own little girl due in a few months!

Shelley     at 4:26 am

So cute!! He has some beautiful eyes like his mummy.
I can’t believe mums go back to work after 12 weeks!!Thats crazy they are still tiny babies at that age!! Each to their own but i personally think that you shouldn’t have kids if you are going to leave them at that age thats insane!! GLad your getting a bit more sleep , too, It’s great when they start sleeping through the night!

Joy     at 5:01 am

He is adorable

Lauren     at 5:04 am

These expressions are priceless! You always seem to capture the best photos of him too! You must walk around with your camera in hand all day. lol ;)

Felicia (Natural + Balanced)     at 5:08 am

what a stinkin cutie.cant believe its 12 weeks already. baby expressions are the BEST and they never get old, its hysterical! and you look fabulous!!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 5:37 am

He cracks me up – seriously, adorable!

Amanda     at 5:46 am

Oh gosh, his expressions are so, so adorable and funny! I love that photo of Cullen with the monkey – my heart melts. :)

Christie F     at 5:52 am

I’m lucky my little one loves naps, pacifiers, and car seats. At 9 days old he can already lift his head and chest up when he us on his tummy. I feel like a human cow though, as I can’t keep up with his demands, so I have to pump constantly & supplement with formula. Enough bragging- I love reading your updates!

Alyssa     at 5:58 am

I had the same feeling when we put our little guy in his crib at night. We sat on the couch and had this weird feeling… what do we do alone! lol! Way to go with the crib :) He is so adorable!

Shari     at 6:04 am

That picture with his monkey is ADORABLE!!

Leslie     at 6:08 am

Love seeing your weekly updates. My little girl is 12 weeks as well and the time has gone too fast. It’s fun to see what new thing they do everyday and those smiles are worth everything. You are so lucky to stay home with Cullen, I go back to work on Tuesday and I’m dreading it. Although I feel lucky to have had 12 weeks at home when many women have to go back even sooner. What kind of cloth diapers are you using? We just switched over to cloth a couple of weeks ago and we’re loving it. No more diaper rash.

Stephanie @ On the Road to RD     at 6:20 am

Awwww he is precious. Such a handsome boy. :)

Karolina     at 6:21 am

I feel like it was only a few weeks ago that you had a tiny fruit in front of your stomach to show how big the baby was… he’s SO big now! I’m glad he’s calmed down and isn’t grouchy all day anymore:)

Kaitlyn @ Keeping up with Kaitlyn     at 6:24 am

He has so much personality!! Those facial expressions are priceless!

Allie@LiveLaughEat     at 6:53 am

Precious photos! Happy to hear he transitioned to the crib so easily. I couldn’t imagine having to leave that face to go back to work :(

Andrea     at 6:56 am

I know you said you’re getting adjusted to your new “mom” body, but I must say you look extremely fit in the picture where you’re holding Cullen!

Krystina (Organically Me)     at 6:58 am

I really enjoy these updates and seeing how much Cullen progresses from week to week. He definitely is an expressive little man! :D

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe     at 7:03 am

That child is unbelievably cute! I love his silly faces.

DCRunner     at 7:05 am

What a cutie! keep us posted on how the cloth diapers go. What did you end up choosing?

And where did you get those crib sheets? They’re adorable and are exactly the colors I’m looking for!

Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs     at 7:16 am

Look at that face! What a handsome little man you have there — love the expressions!

Coco     at 7:17 am

Such a cutie- I know I say it every post.. because I just can’t take the cuteness!

Faith     at 7:29 am

Lovely update Emily! I always appreciate that you focus on the joy and love you feel around motherhood even though I’m sure it’s not all adorable smiles and peaceful sleeping moments. It’s seems as though you acknowledge the challenges but overwhelmingly focus on gratitude, which is a beautiful way to live.

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries     at 7:32 am

what a handsome little guy! i love all of his face expressions. so cute!

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme)     at 7:42 am

I’ve said it several times, but you seriously have one of the cutest babies I’ve ever seen!

I can’t imagine how intimidating and nerve-wracking it must be to move him into the nursery and crib, let alone starting cloth diapering. Good for you!

Tara     at 7:46 am

Those are hilarious pictures of his expressions! Love it. So many changes in so little time, it’s definitely sad and exciting all in one. As my boy turns 11 weeks today, I feel the same way about the hanging out together all day. He is way more interactive and totally using his voice these days. I so enjoy reading your posts about Cullen’s progress as it’s so on par with my current day to day and I could not describe things any better. You’re an incredible writer.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen     at 7:47 am

He really does have the best expressions. How cool that you were able to capture them on camera!

Anne     at 7:55 am

You look very good on that picture btw !

katie     at 7:57 am

Just showed Kirt his photos and we both agree – he’s starting to look soo much like you!!

Chelsea     at 8:24 am

I hope I can stay at home with my baby and raise my child like you are <3 Hopefully money isn't so much a problem in the future hah. But omg his faces! Too adorable.

Antonia @ healthinspirations     at 8:29 am

Cullen is such a cutie! I can totally understand why you are so in love with him. He is absolutely adorable and such a beautiful little man!

kath     at 8:58 am

Love all of his expressions!!

Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous!     at 8:59 am

The monkey picture has to be one of my favorites! He’s too cute!

April     at 9:07 am

Way to go! Cullen seems very “adaptable”, awesome on the transition and cloth diapers. Which do you use? I like thirsties the best…and you will save SO much money. I have actually used disposable at night only because I’m afraid of him feeling too wet. Are you going to do cloth at night too?

We put jack in his crib at 2 weeks for night sleeping, but I am having a hard time getting him to sleep in there for naps…still napping in swing:-

Cullen is getting cuter and cuter, didnt think that was possible:)

Pure2raw twins     at 9:36 am

Cullen is too cute! love all his expressions.
Isn’t amazing how quickly they grow up?? every time I see my niece I am like slow down, you are getting to big. :)

Rachel @ Healthy Teacher     at 10:14 am

Those faces are too adorable! And girl, you look amazing! I can’t believe how thin you look after birthing a child 12 weeks prior.

[New Balance] Nicole     at 10:24 am

That is truely a blessing you can stay home with him, its so important to raise him yourself! I plan on doing that when I’m a mom someday also :)

Katie @ Serenity in the Storm     at 10:46 am

Wow, he’s really getting big. And he is just ridiculously cute!! Reading these updates really makes me want to hurry up and have a baby of my own. Thanks for all the photos and details about how things are going. It’s great to read! Oh, and cool baby monitor!

Amber K     at 11:59 am

I had to show my husband the pictures of Cullen’s expressions. So cute!

Rachel     at 12:18 pm

Emily, I have that monkey!! Haha, her name is Barbara Ann, and I got her when I was nine in Upcountry Maui…the brand is “Jellycat.” Is it the same one or am I just getting overly excited that I have the same monkey as this ridiculously adorable three month year old??

Totally late to reply to this, but I had to come back and tell you…YES, totally the same monkey! Jellycat, indeed. And ever since I read this comment, I have started calling the monkey Barbara Ann (Casey is NOT a fan, haha). I even sing the Beach Boys song along with it. Casey is determined to rename it before Cullen catches on. :)

Rachel Reply:

Hahaha that’s hilarious!! Don’t let him rename her…may the Barbara Ann legacy live on ;) I really have no idea where I came up with that name (because honestly up until I read your reply, I had never heard of that song before!). I think Barbara was just so different and spontaneous from all my stuffed animals named Rose, Rosa, Violet, Sunshine etc… Ann is my middle name, so I guess the two fit well together. She’s a spunky character, married to a cat with a super long tail and has a host of little stuffed monkey children-two sets of twins and a magnetic hands/feet little guy. She was kind of like Lucy Ricardo, always trying to fit into the clothes worn by our slender ballerina bunnies, auditioning for shows and making an utter fool out of herself. But despite her differences I just loved her best of all =D

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston     at 12:28 pm

I absolutely love his facial expressions!!!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats     at 12:50 pm

he is so incredibly adorable! I love all his faces!

Bethany @ Accidental Intentions     at 1:13 pm

Seriously, why is your child so freaking adorable?!?! Every week these baby posts rock my world. Love his facial expression–they’re just way, way too cute.

The baby monitor! Man! Granted, I was a baby 21 years ago, so obviously times have changed, but to see a video on a baby monitor! Crazy!

Amanda     at 1:22 pm

Those little faces he’s making are hysterical!

Shannon Bell     at 1:38 pm

oh he’s such a sweet little boy! i totally understand why you’d want to be with him all day :-)

Leanne (Bride to Mrs.)     at 2:57 pm

He is truly the most handsome boy!

You are really making me want a baby… but not right now, in like 2 years from now :)

jane     at 3:02 pm

hahah! in one of those pictures i imagine him saying “i got 2 chins, wanna see ‘em both?” HAHA what a cutie!

laura     at 3:06 pm

I love reading your weekly posts. I have a six week old daughter and it’s been so encouraging to read your blog and see the progression. Has Cullen always been a good napper? Camille is a great night sleeper, but unless she’s napping on me, she’s NOT a fan. I’d love to know if you helped him get that way or if he’s just always napped well. Take care!

erica     at 3:07 pm

cullen needs to meet my friend keri. she does fabulously hilarious facial expressions but i think she may have met her match! cullen is a cutie!

Raychel     at 3:14 pm

Oh, Emily, I know what you mean about the weeks coming up so fast! The twins (I’ve told you about them before…they’re daughters of a woman in my small group and they were born just days before Cullen) also turned 12 wks. this week and I just couldn’t believe it! I was thinking back to the first few weeks and how one of them weighed just 4 lbs! I also realized, after looking at pictures from those first weeks, that they have pretty much doubled in length! Their little feet touch my other arm now when I hold them and that tiny detail made me so sad and like time was flying by.

Nicole     at 4:07 pm

He has awesome facial expressions!
You look awesome too, btw!

Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee     at 4:42 pm

Awww, what a cutie! I love his expressions. Such a drama queen. :)

Macrae     at 4:42 pm

Hey Emily!
I love reading your blog! I’ve starting nannying for a 14 week old(I started when the mom went back to work at 12 weeks). I love getting tips from you :) This baby I nanny for sleeps in the crib all the time. They started early I think to avoid too much of a transition. But Cullen seems to like it, and thank goodness you can maybe get some quality sleep! “My baby” loves to suck on her hands. She has little gloves to protect herself from her nails. Oh, and the monitor is life saving! It helps so much to be able to see if her sounds are discomfort or what, otherwise I would be up and down constantly! Well…keep up the good work- you are a GREAT mom!

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert     at 5:04 pm

He is growing so fast! I love these photos as they are each so expressive. You are a lucky girl!

Monica     at 6:46 pm

Haha! Love all the faces and him and the monkey, so sweet!

What diaper line are you using? I don’t even know where to start!

Catherine     at 7:35 pm

Oh he looks SO much like his daddy! What a cute baby!

I don’t know how moms go back after 12 weeks. Most women I work with go back after 8. Can’t even imagine!

Silas Schechter     at 8:23 pm

Very good blog article.Really thank you! Will read on…

Diana @ frontyardfoodie     at 8:55 pm

Oh my gosh those expressions are hilarious! So adorable. haha

You are positively making my uterus contract for the need to give birth…..actually, that’s probably just Braxton Hicks. But still, I can’t wait to have my baby.

Lisa @ The Splattered Apron     at 5:38 am

So impressive that he’ll nap without a swaddle! Caroline would still wake herself up flailing her arms at 12 weeks so I would swaddle her with one arm out to get her used to it. Love all of Cullen’s cute outfits and adorable expressions!!

colleen     at 7:09 am

Oh my gosh! Those expressions are priceless!

Renee     at 8:02 am

Love the photos, especially the one with him and the stuffed monkey.

Carrie     at 11:48 am

I follow over 100 blogs, and I have to say yours is one of my favorite! Your recipes are great, and seeing what cute faces Cullen is making always makes me laugh!

Chelsey @ Chew with Your Mouth Open     at 12:00 pm

Love all of his expressions. What a cutie pie!

Barbara @ Run Fit Food     at 12:58 pm

Hi! I found your blog through Jen (peanutbutterrunner) and I’m in love! I’m a vegetarian also and I just started to run. And will be attending my first marathon in april (Rotterdam, The Netherlands) and I’m allready so nervious about it..it’s huge…well I’m doing the 5k so that’s a good start :). Wish me luck..I need it.

Your son is so cute. Enjoy the grow so fast..before you know it they don’t like the clothes you buy for them…teenagers are so much fun :).

xox

Barbara @ Run Fit Food Reply:

I’m so sorry some words I wrote a bit wrong…nervous…they grow fast. Lol.

Alaina     at 1:59 pm

I just cannot get over how adorable your son is! That is such a precious face and his expressions are priceless. :-)

Kristen     at 4:39 pm

What a happy little cutie! I love the pic of him and his monkey :-)

SmugMama     at 4:51 am

That picture of him with the monkey is wonderful!!

Good luck with cloth diapering – let me know if you need any tips, tricks or advice. I love it!!

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed     at 5:23 am

Wow, he really hams it up for the camera haha! His faces are priceless :D

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables     at 5:36 am

His expressions are so adorable. Glad to hear you’re getting a few more hours of sleep!

Sarah     at 7:36 am

Those facial expressions are priceless! He’s grown so fast already! I’m 8 weeks pregnant, and I’m trying to remind myself how fast this will all go by, even though I’m not feeling the best right now and kind of want things to hurry up!

Meg     at 9:15 am

Emily, you’re definitely blessed to stay home with precious Cullen! So happy for you. It was a year ago tomorrow I returned to work after my 12-week maternity leave and it was so, so hard. It still is. I tell Mary every morning I’d rather stay home and play with her all day long. But we can’t change our financial situation and we need my salary to make ends meet. I am blessed that she’s so happy in daycare and has wonderful friends and care givers.

Stephanie     at 9:18 am

What a sweet baby! You’re so lucky to be able to have a healthy baby and be home with him all day. Thanks for the update!

Shannan     at 11:34 am

I just told me husband the other day that we need to have a baby so I can have someone to hang out with all the time. :) He thought that was a bad reason to have a baby (hehe).

I have loved reading these weekly posts and watching Cullen grow!

TeenyLittleSuperChef     at 12:22 pm

What a cutie patootie! I love how expressive he is. It’s almost like each picture is a new emoticom. You and the hubby definitely have an adorable little boy! Hope you’re enjoying motherhood :)

Sienna     at 2:16 pm

Honey you need to stop being so unconfortable about your baby growing. Babies grow there meant too you can’t control everything in your life and I advise you seek the help of a counsellor, I have been following your blog for a few years and judging from what I can see there are some deep rooted anxiety control issues that may need to be dealt with, please dont take offense but you should be happy that he is growing so fast, because it shows he is healthy!

Please don’t take offense? You just told me I need therapy. HA! I appreciate your diagnosis of my deeply rooted issues. Of COURSE, I am happy that my baby is growing and thriving. That is ridiculous.

PoochesForPeace (Anna H)     at 3:43 pm

He is so adorable!

saffron     at 12:47 am

Emily, Your kido is soo adorable. Love you Collen :) May God shower his blessings on you and your family.

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie     at 8:28 pm

HOLY GUACAMOLE. Cullen is making me burst into giggling fits with my roommate right now :)

meghan     at 4:01 am

Hey Emily! If you can remember this far back, I have a question – did you continue to swaddle cullen for naps and bedtime at this age once you moved him to his crib? I have a 10 week old that we’re thinking of transitioning. currently taking most naps in the swing and sleeps in an angled sleep chair at night! This is my third and with EACH child there are so many questions! :)

We stopped swaddling right around the time that we moved him to the crib, because he was starting to try to roll over. Cullen napped in the swing for a LONG time before ever napping in the crib. He started by just moving to the crib at night!