For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

Week 12: So Much Personality.

Sigh.  These Fridays keep creeping up on me.  I know I should be happy that my baby is thriving, but man if it doesn’t kill me that he is growing up so quickly.

We had a really great week this week.  Of course we have our off moments like any mom/baby team, but long gone are the days of being grumpy and grouchy all day long.  I know it sounds weird, but I feel like over the course of 12 weeks, Cullen and I have become friends that hang out all day long.

We had quite a big week as far as milestones go.  The biggest change was that we moved Cullen into his crib a few days ago. Since then, I’ve become a baby monitor stalker.

We started by moving him to the crib for naps, which went really well.  Last night, we bit the bullet and moved him in there overnight.  It felt really…strange.  Normally in the evenings, we swaddle him and let him hang out on his Boppy pillow on the couch with us while we eat and watch TV.  Last night our living room felt a little lonely.  I only went up to check on him twice before going to bed myself.

He did really well in there overnight, and only had to get up once for a middle of the night feeding.  It felt great to get a few extra hours of sleep!

Now that he has discovered his hands, they are in his mouth approximately 92% of the time.  He’s never been a big pacifier fan, but now he won’t even bother with it.  His fingers appear to taste much much better.

And with those hands, he’s starting to reach out and try to grab toys now.  I read somewhere that babies will only grab toys from the side at first, so I’ve been trying to introduce them and hand them to him while we play.

He has also made a new friend.

His fuzzy monkey plays with us all the time, and I love seeing his little personality come to life while he plays.

Speaking of personality, his expressions are absolutely ridiculous these days.

He is so expressive, and it cracks me up all day long.

I wish I knew what he was thinking.

The other big change this week is that we’ve finally started using cloth diapers!  It’s only been a few days, and I’m still getting the hang of it, but so far so good.  I am still adjusting to seeing him with his GIANT diaper butt.

I thought a lot this week about how many moms go back to work after a 12-week maternity leave.  I feel ridiculously lucky to get to stay with him during the day, and remind myself of that often so that I never take it for granted.

Overall, it’s been a great week.  Looking forward to a weekend of relaxing at home just the three of us!

For more parenting posts, visit the parenting page!

This week’s Babble posts…

Kristen     at 4:39 pm

What a happy little cutie! I love the pic of him and his monkey :-)

SmugMama     at 4:51 am

That picture of him with the monkey is wonderful!!

Good luck with cloth diapering – let me know if you need any tips, tricks or advice. I love it!!

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed     at 5:23 am

Wow, he really hams it up for the camera haha! His faces are priceless :D

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables     at 5:36 am

His expressions are so adorable. Glad to hear you’re getting a few more hours of sleep!

Sarah     at 7:36 am

Those facial expressions are priceless! He’s grown so fast already! I’m 8 weeks pregnant, and I’m trying to remind myself how fast this will all go by, even though I’m not feeling the best right now and kind of want things to hurry up!

Meg     at 9:15 am

Emily, you’re definitely blessed to stay home with precious Cullen! So happy for you. It was a year ago tomorrow I returned to work after my 12-week maternity leave and it was so, so hard. It still is. I tell Mary every morning I’d rather stay home and play with her all day long. But we can’t change our financial situation and we need my salary to make ends meet. I am blessed that she’s so happy in daycare and has wonderful friends and care givers.

Stephanie     at 9:18 am

What a sweet baby! You’re so lucky to be able to have a healthy baby and be home with him all day. Thanks for the update!

Shannan     at 11:34 am

I just told me husband the other day that we need to have a baby so I can have someone to hang out with all the time. :) He thought that was a bad reason to have a baby (hehe).

I have loved reading these weekly posts and watching Cullen grow!

TeenyLittleSuperChef     at 12:22 pm

What a cutie patootie! I love how expressive he is. It’s almost like each picture is a new emoticom. You and the hubby definitely have an adorable little boy! Hope you’re enjoying motherhood :)

Sienna     at 2:16 pm

Honey you need to stop being so unconfortable about your baby growing. Babies grow there meant too you can’t control everything in your life and I advise you seek the help of a counsellor, I have been following your blog for a few years and judging from what I can see there are some deep rooted anxiety control issues that may need to be dealt with, please dont take offense but you should be happy that he is growing so fast, because it shows he is healthy!

Please don’t take offense? You just told me I need therapy. HA! I appreciate your diagnosis of my deeply rooted issues. Of COURSE, I am happy that my baby is growing and thriving. That is ridiculous.

PoochesForPeace (Anna H)     at 3:43 pm

He is so adorable!

saffron     at 12:47 am

Emily, Your kido is soo adorable. Love you Collen :) May God shower his blessings on you and your family.

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie     at 8:28 pm

HOLY GUACAMOLE. Cullen is making me burst into giggling fits with my roommate right now :)

meghan     at 4:01 am

Hey Emily! If you can remember this far back, I have a question – did you continue to swaddle cullen for naps and bedtime at this age once you moved him to his crib? I have a 10 week old that we’re thinking of transitioning. currently taking most naps in the swing and sleeps in an angled sleep chair at night! This is my third and with EACH child there are so many questions! :)

We stopped swaddling right around the time that we moved him to the crib, because he was starting to try to roll over. Cullen napped in the swing for a LONG time before ever napping in the crib. He started by just moving to the crib at night!

Maybell     at 12:33 am

Ridiculous story there. What happened after? Goodd luck!

running shoes