A Hawaiian Farewell.

So even though I am finally home to dreary and grey Seattle, will you guys indulge me and let me write one more vacation post?  I need to look at pictures of fresh fruit and blue water just a little bit longer…

It was so nice to have the full kitchen in our suite, and we stocked up on fresh Hawaiian fruit for snacking in between meals – papaya and pineapple every afternoon.  So incredible!

Our last few days there, we typically spent about half the day at the pool/beach, and the other half out exploring the island.  With each day, Cullen adjusted a bit more to the water.

We have a lake trip planned with Casey’s family this coming summer, and it will be interesting to see how different he is in the water then.  Hopefully he’ll like it even more when the water is warmer!

He certainly had no trouble transitioning to the warmer air temperature in Hawaii.  He looked so strange in short sleeves and shorts at first, since I’m only used to ever really seeing him in sweatpants and long sleeves.  He spent a lot of time just hanging out in his diapers.  It is vacation after all.

While it was nice to have the kitchen to make ourselves dinners and save a bit of money, we took advantage of Cullen’s schedule and went out for breakfast and lunch quite a few times.  I love healthy food as much as the rest of you, but vacation is also not the time to pass on macadamia nut banana pancakes (at Duke’s Beach House).

And I am sad that we didn’t discover our absolute favorite lunch spot in Maui until almost the end of our trip!  Choice Health Bar is the type of place I imagine myself opening if I ever get the opportunity.  A lot of their menu was smoothie based – both drinks and smoothie bowls.  But they also had delicious grains, soups, and fresh vegetable salads.

Here is just a small sampling of the many delicious things we ate at Choice.  A “Healthy Lunch Plate” – a salad, grain, and soup, combo – with two little dessert bites to finish.

Chocolate chip cookie and mint chocolate chip cookie dough balls.  Love how they are served in a shell!

This kale salad was incredible, and I’m feeling very inspired to start making a lot more things like this at home.  You can’t go wrong with giant avocado hunks.

Perfectly cooked garlic quinoa

A Hawaiian Passion smoothie, made with all fresh, local fruits.

And one of several Acai Bowls we had during our stay.  This one was a very thickly blended smoothie topped with granola, bananas, mango, honey, and bee pollen.  I could eat this every single day.

When we weren’t eating the special of the day at Choice, we were off exploring the island and relishing all the amazing views.  I have honestly never seen anything quite as awesome as the RAINBOWS in Hawaii.  I had no idea they could be so bright and vibrant!

On one of our afternoon retreats, we headed to Lahaina to walk around the shopping area take a boat ride.  Before we departed, we checked out the giant Banyan tree with branches growing sideways.

And then we boarded our ship for two hours of whale watching!  Coming on this trip, we knew we would be limited in what we could do with a baby in tow.  We have always said we aren’t going to be people who’s lives stop when kids arrive, and I think so far we’ve done a pretty good job of still doing fun things, but also being realistic about what is possible at certain ages.

I called ahead to ask about taking a baby on the whale watching trip, and they suggested we do the large catamaran ship with both indoor and outdoor areas.  Casey strapped Cullen on in the Ergo, and we set sail.

I am so SO glad we didn’t skip this trip.  It was one of the most incredible things I’ve ever seen.  At one point a mama and baby whale came right up next to our boat (which apparently rarely happens), and I couldn’t believe just how BIG these animals really are in person.

I guess the whales that come to Maui this time of year are here for breeding and birthing, so there are a lot of mom and baby pairs.  Would you believe that a baby humpback drinks around 100 gallons of mama’s milk per DAY?  I can’t even imagine…

Cullen thought the whales were boring and slept through the entire boat ride.

Two whales jumping at once, with a third splashing nearby.  Can you imagine being on that little boat on the left?  Too cool!

This is definitely an experience to cross of my bucket list.  Visit Hawaii and go whale watching were both on there, so I’m making progress.  Now I want to go again…

The trip lasted two hours, but I could have stayed out there all day.

Traveling with a little one may have stopped us from doing more of the adventure-type of Hawaiian activities, but we still found plenty of ways to relax and explore the island.

And what is a visit to Hawaii without Hawaiian shaved ice?  This was root beer, coconut, and wedding cake.  So icy and refreshing!

I would like another one (or three) of these right now.

But eventually vacations have to end.  Unfortunately, we can’t just nap by the pool forever.

The first day we were in Hawaii, we had a few “what were we thinking?” moments when we realized just how much different (and more difficult!) it is to travel with a small baby.  But after a day or two we got into a groove, and we adjusted and adapted just as we do here with each new change.

Since Cullen’s arrival back in October, Casey and I have sort of been going going going all the time just to keep our heads afloat.  Without family in town, we have to really rely on each other just to get the basic small things done.  Bigger things are usually out of the question.

This trip was a perfect way for us to recharge and reconnect.  A chance to sit and talk about what we’ve done, where we’re heading, and what we hope for as a family.  One of those hopes is to make it back to Maui someday!  For now, it’s back to Seattle…

Jane     at 5:07 pm

Ah!!! So cool! So glad you had a good time, and that smoothie looks amazing!!

Hannah     at 5:11 pm

Bee pollen, you say?! What the what?

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme)     at 5:13 pm

Sounds like an incredible trip! I’ve been whale watching twice now and its an awesome experience and something I think everyone should try to cross off their list at some point.

I can’t imagine being on that tiny boat–WOW! And that Choice cafe sounds wonderful.

HRCK the Herald     at 5:15 pm

I can’t decide if the scenery or the food looks more amazing!!

Also, that picture of Cullen in what I presume to be Casey’s hat– SO ADORABLE!! :)

Sana     at 5:19 pm

Oh my, the all the tropical food sounds amazing :)

Marci     at 5:33 pm

Whale watching looks so cool. We find ourselves repeating vacation lunch places that we love so we can try more things before we leave. Looks so fresh and flavorful!

erica     at 5:46 pm

acai bowls are my favorite! i could eat them everyday too! :)

Megan     at 5:51 pm

I really enjoyed reading your vacation posts! Maui sounds entirely incredible. You guys give me hope that we’ll be able to take (what will be) a 5-month old to Seattle in June for the RnR half. I’ve been terrified of the cross-country travel plan, but you & Casey make it look easy!

Ohhh how exciting!! I am running the RnR half too. :) Seriously, if you need baby stuff while you are here and want to borrow things (like swing, pack n play, etc.) rather than check/pack everything, please let me know! We moms definitely need to share and help each other out. :)

Megan Reply:

Thank you! That’s such a nice offer. I just may take you up on that as I was worrying about how we are going to haul everything on the plane. Can I email you when we get closer to the event to make some arrangements if needed?

Brittany     at 5:51 pm

Emily, you look so happy in the photos.

Socal Rachel     at 5:53 pm

Thanks for sharing your vacation with us, glad you had an awesome time. Shave ice with ice cream on the bottom is heaven.

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma)     at 5:56 pm

Your trip looks absolutely beautiful and fun! It makes me want to go back to Maui ASAP!

Simply Life     at 5:58 pm

love seeing the re-cap! That does look like the perfect restaurant find!

Alex     at 5:59 pm

I love Acai Bowls! There was a place that made delicious ones where I used to live in England, I have yet to find a place in Montreal where they make them…

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)     at 6:01 pm

We took our boys (11 and 13) to New York for a Christmas vacation. It was a very different trip than they normally are with Tony and I! We normally walk everywhere, while the boys gave out way before we did. I’m glad you had a great trip! With our kids as old as they are, while I love every minute with them…we still have those “what were we thinking moments”. It’s so life changing every step of the way…life’s little adventures!

Haha, I bet!

Lindsey     at 6:04 pm

It all looks awesome! I am hoping we can get to Hawaii in November or December this year :)

Shari     at 6:09 pm

What an amazing trip! The whale-watching looks especially awe-inspiring. Such a cool adventure.

lee     at 6:15 pm

So glad you had such a wonderful break and rewarding brake. (Hopefully, that will make as much sense to you as it does in my head.)

Also, super jealous of your shaved ice. East Coast shaved ice never tastes as good. =)

Jv     at 6:19 pm

Looks like a wonderful trip filling all 5 senses! The pancakes looked delicious and I’d never thought about whale watching before but that’s now on my bucket list!

Kamaile     at 6:26 pm

I knew you would love Hawaii. You must go to Kauai next time. I love shave ice so much and Cullen’s big smiles are adorable!

I definitely want to go to Kauai! We chose Maui for this one since Kauai seemed a bit more outdoors/adventure heavy. Might be a better trip just for the parents! :)

Samantha     at 6:38 pm

I would love it if you would open a food place in Seattle like that. I would totally support you on that. As we speak I am making your Ginger Current Scones again (only mine are berry, but your recipe base).

If opening a food place like that is a dream of yours I truly hope you get a chance.

Thank you for sharing your lovely vacation. I already have said this before…but so inspiring.

Yum! I want a scone! :) I hope I get the chance someday too – we’ll see.

Samantha Reply:

They turned out better than my first time around. :)

I know you could do it and Seattle is a good venue for take style of food.

Of course I would love if you came more east, but about the only reason I cross into Seattle is for the food anyway so I would make the trek.

Alaina     at 6:38 pm

Whale watching is so much fun! Of course, being in MA, we have to go about 20 miles out before we see anything. But they are such amazing creatures!

Glad to see you all had such a great vacation. :-)

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie     at 6:39 pm

What a beautiful trip!! All that food looks AMAZING! And the sunshine and rainbows are out of this world. So glad you enjoyed yourself!

Jackie @ That Deep Breath     at 6:51 pm

It looks like you guys had an amazing time! I miss Hawaii so much, the ocean is beautiful and the fresh fruit is amazing. So glad you guys had such a great trip!

Julie (A Case of the Runs)     at 6:57 pm

Oh my, those pancakes and ice just made me drool! I’m excited because I think I’m going to Hawaii this year and am definitely going to seek these things out. Glad you were able to have such a nice trip with baby in tow!

Chelsea     at 6:59 pm

That food looks delliiicciiouus! I’m glad that you guys had the chance to get away and have so much fun <3

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef     at 7:11 pm

looks like you had an amazing trip! we went whale watching off the coast of CA–newport beach area–on our honeymoon and it was incredible! i would definitely do it again in a heartbeat. :)

Greg     at 7:15 pm

How are your sweet dogs doing? Are they home? Huey was very sick, wasn’t he? Is he OK?

Dogs are doing great! You must be a dog person. :) They went to a new spot and Huey over-did it a bit the first few days. He’s much better now though. He’s at home snuggling with me!

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed     at 7:18 pm

You are so impressive. I can’t imagine traveling with a little babe, but you guys did great! I’m so happy for you :)

Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats     at 7:26 pm

What an amazing way to get back in sync with your husband. <3 I'm so glad you all had a wonderful vacation!

Lara     at 7:30 pm

Welcome back! I loved reading your Hawaii posts from here in gray, rainy SeaTown. We’re heading out for a long weekend next month to Palm Springs and I can’t wait!

Ali     at 7:33 pm

I just wondered if the pancakes are vegan or maybe vegetarian is ok. Just wondering because I am playing with my “levels” of veganism. Thanks!

No the pancakes weren’t vegan, just vegetarian. That’s why I don’t really identify with any specific labels. I eat what feels comfortable given the situation. I’m fine with the occasional non-vegan pancake on vacation. :)

Emily     at 8:02 pm

Oh my goodness. I have never heard of Acai Bowls-as obviously other readers have-but that looks delicious. Please recreate once you’ve gotten back into your normal schedule! Glad you had what looks like a lovely vacation!

Karolina     at 8:03 pm

It looks like your vacation was absolutely fantastic, and all of that food looks delicious. You definitely can’t go to Hawaii without getting shave ice!

Caroline     at 8:05 pm

Your time looks like it was relaxing and incredibly enjoyable. I really love your polka dot yellow bikini- super cute!

Alexandra     at 8:17 pm

Can you tell me how you do your hair like that (in a bun)? Are bobby pins involved? It always looks so put together and simple!

sharon Reply:

I want to know, too! I love the look, but just can’t seem to replicate. Please help, Emily :)

Kasia     at 8:33 pm

My husband and I were in Maui in January and choice health bar was my favorite place for lunch as well! We took a bikram yoga class in Lahaina then went straight in the ocean to cool off, then for lunch at the place. Good to see I am not the only nerd that gets excited about places like these!
I also just found out I am pregnant in January, and I know thats when you found out you were too. Anyway, I love reading your journey with the little guy, and am looking forward to mine. Keep on posting!!! Kasia from Chicago.

Lisa (bakebikeblog)     at 9:26 pm

What a beautiful holiday indeed :)

What a fantastic time! Vacations are definitely different with an extra person in tow, but it looks like just as much fun.

emmycooks     at 10:47 pm

What a fun trip! And that kale salad looks AMAZING. Can you work on recreating the recipe for us? :)

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama     at 3:48 am

Wow! Give me a second to wipe the drool off my keyboard. All the food looks amazing and so fresh. I love that about warm weather vacations. Glad you had survived, adjusted, and loved your first real family vacation. Hope you have many, many more in the future!

Sneakers2Sandals     at 4:24 am

you make me feel like I was there :) cullen is adorable in his swimmie trunks!

Cyndi     at 5:35 am

Sounds like you had an awesome vacation. I forgot how beautiful the rainbows are in Hawaii. Thanks for sharing!

Karen     at 5:35 am

Get in shape for the Summer Season Now!! Click on below link.

Click Here!

Ali @ Peaches and Football     at 5:41 am

I really want to go to Hawaii now! All that wonderful fresh fruit? I’d have to bring a carry-on to smuggle a ton back with me.

Glad you had such a terrific time. Whale watching looks like it was marvelous!

Sarah     at 5:55 am

Wonderful recap and photos! Thank you for sharing. But — I’m sorry, I need to correct you.
Hawaii has SHAVE ice, not shaveD ice. This is a big pet peeve of the locals ;)

Brooke     at 6:15 am

In one of your previous vacation posts I saw that you stayed at Honua Kai. My boyfriend and I are going to Maui in July and that’s where we are staying. I was wondering if you were happy with the accommodations and if you had any suggests/hints that you learned while staying there? Looks like you had a great vacation!

Kate @ get up and flow     at 6:23 am

Isn’t Lahaina great? My husband and I spent a week in Maui last fall and were on the same plan — activities in the morning and lunch in Lahaina afterward! I’m glad to see your little one had such a ball. Makes me think going back with a baby (a few years down the line!) is doable!

Joss     at 6:33 am

mmm that health bar looks so good! Can’t get over how fresh and colorful the smoothie is :D

And you are so lucky to get to see the whales in their natural environment – such a thing of beauty!

p.s I agree…a vacation would NOT be a vacation without a big batch of yummy pancakes :D

Leah     at 6:53 am

Welcome back to the mainland! Your trip really is just the type of vacation I like to take. I have not been to HI yet but I really like the approach you took to each day there. :)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers     at 7:04 am

What beautiful pictures, I know I said that before but they are breathless. Welcome home!

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie     at 8:02 am

That juice bar looks amazing! I’m addicted to acai bowl, so it always make me sad that they’re so darn expensive :(

Natasha     at 8:06 am

Hi Emily and Casey – and BB Cullen! Thank you for sharing your trip with all who love your site – this note comes on the heels of some difficult times in my relationship…Last night I read Casey’s story…and I was so touched by the “realness”. The reality of life is such for myself that I’m overwhelmed – and I would like to know how the 2 of you work through challenging moments…when your doing your life – and the other person may be in a bad place….what is one snip of advice you can give.
You both should be proud…thank you from the bottom of my heart for allowing us into your life.
All my best,
Natasha

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables     at 8:21 am

Loved reading about your trip Emily, it has made me even more excited to go there for our honeymoon. And you look so healthy and happy, it puts a smile on my face :)

allpointswhole     at 9:26 am

I am so glad you had a wonderful time..you deserved it

Katie     at 9:58 am

I totally agree with you about vacation…if you can’t indulge then, when can you?! Those pancakes looked A-MAZING! :)

Meghan @ Healthy Food Love Affair     at 10:06 am

Ah, I want to go whale watching SO BAD! One day…

Also, those pancakes look kind of amazing.

Michelle     at 10:36 am

I’ve been reading your posts over at Babble about Cullen and am so happy to have found your website! Those pancakes are drool worthy from the photo alone and I think I’ll try to make garlic quinoa tonight. Thanks for the inspiration!

Jodi     at 10:38 am

Loved all of these recaps Emily! I visited Maui 15 years ago and want to go back but living in New Englad makes for a verrrry long flight! Cullen is a little chubster! so cute!

Kelly     at 11:47 am

Emily, I hope you re-create the kale salad. I’m in LOVE with kale salads! That one looks like it has a heavier dressing on it. Not bad, just saying it isn’t the typical dressing I’ve seen on Kale salads. And avacado… come on! :) Enjoyed your vacation posts. You take really good pics and you captured such good ones of Cullen! Enjoy your day.

Kel     at 11:48 am

Cullen is looking more like his dad! I enjoyed hearing about your trip. I would love to go to Maui one day!! I also enjoyed learning that you were a gymnast (so was I). I am reading your old posts at night when I cannot sleep. My touch does not wake my husband, but a light to read a book would. :)

Michaela     at 12:13 pm

I certainly would not mind another holiday post!
Makes me feel like I am there, too ;)

Maren     at 12:22 pm

You should watch the latest episode of Up All Night (hulu) at least for the scene about traveling through the airport with a baby. Hilarious!

Suzanne C. (@Cruizanne)     at 12:36 pm

Yum! Love Shave Ice! I almost want to buy a shave ice maker…but maybe I will just have to go back to Hawaii. Glad you had a nice trip!

melissa     at 1:37 pm

Ah! I’m so glad you did one more post! I’m going to Maui next month to escape the grey and rain that is Vancouver. I can’t wait to try out this restaurant! It looks so delicious! :)

Heidi from BundlesofHugs     at 3:45 pm

Awww, so much fun! I love the whales they are so beautiful. I can’t go to Hawaii without a boat trip to see them. What an awesome trip I’m sure you’ll never forget it.

STUFT Mama     at 4:00 pm

Okay- again, just so jealous of your vacation. Of course you didn’t find your favorite lunch spot until it was almost the end of your trip. That always happens. Your pictures are amazing and I’m still so impressed that you all went a fun vacation with Cullen. We still haven’t been on a vacation yet and our boys are over 2. Ha ha! Maybe we need to be able to afford it first. You look GREAT!!!

TeenyLittleSuperChef     at 4:31 pm

Mmmm, those peanut butter balls look tasty. I love all the amazing rainbows Maui seems to have each and every day. I’m convinced there is a pot of gold at the end of them. Any luck with your’s? Glad you made it back home safe and sound. Sorry about our crappy weather, but hey, that’s the Pacific Northwest for ya. Summer’s are great but the rest of the year, well… it sucks!

Stephanie     at 7:46 pm

Your trip looks and sounds amazing! It’s cool that your lives haven’t stopped once the baby arrived…and those pictures of Cullen are too much…too cute!!

Alex @ Raw Recovery     at 7:50 pm

That Acai Bowl looks delicious! I definitely have to try that place the next time I’m in Maui.

Whale watching is incredible. I’ve only ever seen them from Cape Cod but no matter where you get to watch them it’s still enchanting.

Hope you had a safe trip and glad you got a chance to recharge! You deserve it!

Kristen     at 12:26 am

Wow what an incredible experience seeing those whales up close-so lucky! And seriously, is there anything cuter than a baby in swim diapers?

Mary@FitandFed     at 9:38 pm

You are definitely bringing back some fond memories for me of vacationing with babies! The blog will be such a nice record for you of everything– no unfinished baby albums for you! There’s a really nice kid’s picture book we read many times called “Hawaii is a Rainbow”– maybe Cullen would like it soon.

Emilia @ Namaste Gurl     at 12:59 pm

So fun you got a vacay away– and with the little one, too! I bet he’ll have quite the story to tell when he get’s older that he got to travel to Hawaii during his first year :) Whale- watching season really is the best time to travel to the islands and I’m quite jealous you got to experience that… :)

West Maui is practically my 2nd home as I have family who lives there so it’s mainly a summer time visit each year. While summer time there is definitely my favorite time, I’d sure love to experience winter as well. Just discovered Choice Health Bar on my last trip there as well- and right before I was leaving, too! I gave them my blog address and told them I was a “foodie” and I create very similar dishes to theirs. I was so mad I discovered it near the end of my trip since I would’ve love to chow down there more– I wanted to try everything! It was all so wonderfully made (some people can not get vegan food very well) and creative and yummy! can’t wait to go back there next summer :)

Marie     at 9:47 am

Your trip sounds amazing. We went there for our honeymoon back in 2004 & this brought back great memories. Our favorite was their Macadamia Ice cream. Yum!

Kale & Avocado Salad with Creamy Hemp Seed Dressing | Daily Garnish     at 9:11 pm

[...] gloom, and with another one ahead in the forecast, it helps to look back through pictures of our trip to Hawaii last month.  That feels like so long [...]

Ray     at 6:53 pm

Way Cool – I’m from Maui but there’s a lot of places and restaurants I don’t know since I haven’t lived there for a few years. Thx for the post and great pictures. If you need a ‘quick fix’ for Hawaii – please visit our blog at http://www.mainlandkamaainas.com or our FB page!