Down and Out.

I am so sorry for all the blog issues these past few days!  I guess there have been some big problems over at Dreamhost with my server, and it was pretty much out of my hands.  With all of the sites that went down, I figure the Dreamhost team has probably had a rough few days, so I have done my best to just be patient and wait it out.  Thanks for waiting with me!  It looks like my pictures on older posts are still missing, and I’m hoping to figure out how to resolve that soon…

In the meantime, we’ve had an interesting couple of days in the Malone house.  Last week was a little slice of hell, otherwise known as teething.  I first spotted the tooth on our way back from Hawaii.  I was absolutely shocked when I saw it – for some reason I never imagined it would happen quite this early.

As his little tooth continued to break through the gums, Cullen turned into a cranky mess.  I can’t really blame him – ouch!  My mom arrived for my birthday weekend, and the timing could not have been better.  It was so nice to have extra hands for rocking, soothing, and bouncing.

We went to one of the baby stores here in Seattle and picked up a few more teethers so that our little guy could give himself a bit more relief.

And when the teethers and toys weren’t cutting it, he found other things to chew on.

It has been so hard to watch him be so uncomfortable and not really be able to help.  He went through a few really rough days, but we seem to be through the worst of it.  I know it’s also just a part of his age, but these days everything goes straight into his mouth.

And sometimes even though he’s biting down, it doesn’t seem to be enough to relieve those sore little gums.

I can’t believe this is something we’re going to have to go through over and over again as new teeth come in!  At least now I’m armed with every teething item on the market.

And while my little guy has been teething, crying, and chewing, my other guy has been coughing, sneezing, and sweating.  Poor Casey appears to have the flu.  He has been miserable for two days now, and in between diaper changes and feedings, I’m doing my best to take care of him too.

I’ve never been much of a germophobe, but now that we have a baby in the house I find myself suddenly terrified that he will get sick.  I went to the store today and came back with an arsenal of remedies, comforts, and disinfecting cleaning products.

I’m doing my best to figure out how to juggle taking care of both boys and make sure Cullen and I don’t get sick in the process!  Did I mention he got his four month shots today?  It’s just one of those weeks where you kind of have to laugh so that you don’t cry.

Looks like I’m sleeping on the couch again tonight.  Things can only go up from here!

Amanda Perry at Sistas of Strength     at 7:17 am

Those kind of weeks stink. Hang in there mama.

Amy     at 7:20 am

Oh Emily. I feel for you girl. There is nothing harder than having a sick husband and a cranky needy baby… trust me, i’ve been there! Sending you some big hugs (healthy hugs that is ;) )

Sarah     at 7:21 am

That last picture of him is so flippin’ cute! The eyes! The hands! The cute little tongue. I love it!

Kelly Reply:

I was thinking the same thing! You take such great pictures of that little guy! Sooooo cute.

Maya     at 7:21 am

Awww. Hang in there! I just discovered your blog a few days ago so I was disappointed when it wasn’t coming up… I’m a fellow running mama, and my daughter is one day younger than your son! I had a long labor too so I remember watching those days tip by (I was sure her birthday was going to be the 21st, but she missed it by an hour and a half!). We had the four month shots last week too, and now I’ve had a fussy, sick baby for the last few days (unrelated to shots– still sucky). Hope you all feel better soon!

Stephanie     at 7:25 am

I’m so sorry. Tylenol helps a ton with their teething pain, if you haven’t added that to your arsenal yet. I hope both guys feel better soon and you catch a break.

We have Pedia Care, which is basically the same thing. It seemed to help a bit along with the teethers and a LOT of naps. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)     at 7:25 am

That sounds like a rough week! Teething is the worst and for Casey to have the flu now too, that’s pretty rotten in and of it’s self! Really all you can do is soothe the little guy when those teeth are coming in. It’s so painful for them and so painful to watch them go through it! I hope everyone starts to feel better soon!

Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats     at 7:29 am

Poor little sausage! My best friend’s baby is also going through teething and it just sounds awful!! Just remember he will get through this and will someday be so grateful that you documented this monumental time in his life.

Stay healthy!

Haha I love calling him a sausage. :)

Kellie     at 7:30 am

Hang in there. It does get better. When I brought my third home from the hospital my other two got the flu the same week. I remember calling my mom from the bathroom floor crying since I hadn’t really slept for a week.
I used teething tablets with my babies and it seemed to work. I am sure you probably tried them, but they are pretty amazing.

Michaela     at 7:32 am

I hope Casey get well soon and you and Cullen won´t catch the flu!! Seems everyone comes down with something at the moment…

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen     at 7:33 am

My husband got the flu 2 winters ago (caught it in Seattle actually and then had to fly home on his own while I stayed for work…talk about a miserable flight) and I had never been more germ paranoid in my life. I came home and sanitized everything in sight. Even taking our comforter to the dry cleaners (for the price of what a new one would cost!) b/c the thought of his flu germs touching it grossed me out so much! Hope Casey starts to feel better soon. The flu is so miserable.

Maria     at 7:35 am

As long as you are nursing him, he probably won’t get sick even though you might.He is receiving all of your antibodies. Everyone in my family got a horrible stomache flu over Christmas…except for our 3 month old! It was very tough nursing when I was super dehydrated, but I am so glad I did.

jennyv     at 7:35 am

Sounds like you’re working OT (as if that’s possible as you’re always ‘on call’ as a mom!)

The orange diaper was too cute!

I know it’s most parents first reaction to start disinfecting everything but it’s actually good for babies to be introduced to germs so that they build a strong immune system for the future.

Sarah Anne @fear-no-food.net     at 7:36 am

Oh goodness Emily! What a week! Hang in there! I hope Casey feels better soon. We’re getting a cold snap up here in Vancouver, I hope you’re not getting the same. Cold. Wind. Snow. Blech.

Side note – Oscillococcinum is the BEST THING EVER, well, next to Traumeel. I keep it in the house always, and at the first sign of cold/flu. Down it goes. You can also take 1 vial per week for 3 weeks as a preventative.

Good luck!

Andrea @ Vegvacious     at 7:40 am

Poor girl!!! When it rains it pours doesn’t it?! Good luck today and wishing your boys both feel better very soon.

allpointswhole     at 7:41 am

I absolutely love this last picture of Cullen…so sweet

Mary     at 7:41 am

Yikes, sorry for such a tough week. I completely get it though; I have a 7 month old little lady : )

Some extra help/advice for teething – a wet washcloth and teething biscuits. I make my teething biscuits so I know what goes into them (I make all her food) and she LOVES them. Also, it keeps her occuppied for a good 20 mins : ) Let me know if you want the recipe, it’s super easy.

Samantha Reply:

I was going to mention the frozen washcloth too. :) Seems to work well for some kids.

I would love the recipe!

Margret     at 7:42 am

My daughter loved frozen broccoli and cold cucumbers when she was teething. Would have loved these teething food mesh back then ( she is 15 today). http://www.amazon.com/Mesh-Teething-Baby-Feeder-Feeding/dp/B000056JCY They are also good for warm days putting cool food in like watermelon. :) Good luck.

Alyson     at 7:44 am

I remember those days! Some of my kids weren’t too bad with teething, a dose of Tylenol or baby ibuprofen in the morning and at bedtime and we made it through okay. But one of them in particular, I remember; my first son was a terrible, terrible teether. He’d be miserable for up to three weeks before a tooth appeared. It took me three or four teeth to figure it out, too, because that’s a pretty long period for a baby to be sad and cranky but not sick, and with no apparent cause.

Oddly, once they started cutting molars it seemed easier? But if he’s that uncomfortable, I wouldn’t hesitate to try a little teething gel or even pain reliever. I know I’d take something if my mouth were in pain, I figured my babies deserved the same treatment I gave myself.

Ahh I think the molars sound SO painful! I need to get some teething gel. We did a bit of Tylenol (actually Pedia Care) but I can’t do that for a week straight!

becca @ bellebottoms     at 7:50 am

You can do it! Keep sluggin back that tea, eating good hearty food, and resting as much as you can! So sorry about all the craziness over there….hang in there :)

Hallie (@ChasingHallie)     at 7:52 am

I am so sorry! My husband was sick last week and trying to help him and be there for the babe was hard. And his coughing was so loud it kept waking up our lil one! Ahh! Sounds like you are about to make it to the other side.

Quick random question…what kind of high chair is that? We are trying to figure out what to get. Thanks.

We don’t have a high chair yet – that’s actually our swing!

Ellen     at 7:59 am

How cute! Teething is no joke though. I nanny for my nephew and he started teething at 3 months. Now, at 8.5 months he has 6 teeth (2 more on the way) and a toothy grin! It’s adorable.

Ali @ Peaches and Football     at 8:00 am

When it rains it pours huh?

I’d probably be doing the same thing – rushing out to the store buying tons of stuff and doing my best to sanitize!

Hope Casey gets better soon. Teething is just one of those growing pains. That will pass and he’s armed with teethers now!

Katie     at 8:02 am

I hope things get better from here on out! I absolutely love how real and honest you are on your blog about parenting and life :)

Samantha     at 8:05 am

Love the orange diapers and the shoes! I am really loving the orange variations out there right now!

Sally     at 8:06 am

Glad your blog is up an running. I hope everyone gets to feeling better. Amy’s No Chicken Noodle Soup is so tasty!

Kinley @ Better Off Barefoot     at 8:11 am

I took that Chestal medicine and one for cold awhile back when I was sick and I swear I was better within 1/2 a day. Hopefully you find the same to be true!!! Hang in there!

Dorsa @ Running Thoughts     at 8:14 am

so stinkin cute :)

I hope Casey feels better soon!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie     at 8:21 am

Aww, poor thing. Hopefully you get some rest and the boys get healthy soon.

Maybe after baby bedtime you can make yourself a rich dessert and drink some tea. Take it easy!

Bethany @ Accidental Intentions     at 8:21 am

Oh man, Emily, I’m so sorry you have to deal with all of this at once :( I hope both your boys perk up real soon! Thoughts and prayers coming your way!

Kristen @ Change of Pace     at 8:33 am

Oh girl I feel ya. Nothing is worse than having your boys sick. Eat your veggies girl because it’s hard taking care of a baby if you get sick :( Hang in there with the teething. It really does get better because you are more prepared and know his teething cues.

Julie (A Case of the Runs)     at 8:39 am

Make sure you take care of yourself, too! That will help!

Katy     at 8:42 am

Thinking of you and sending well wishes to your family! This too shall pass :)

Karina     at 8:53 am

Oh no, poor you, poor hubby and poor Cullen! That sounds like a tough week, as my mum would say “tough times never last, only tough people do” :) (though this is probably no help at all!!).

Jen     at 10:34 am

It is funny to see the toys Cullen is chewing on are the same ones we have. I noticed too that even though Amy is chewing on them it never seems to be enough. If you are not careful she grabs your finger and puts it in her mouth to suck and chew. Amazing how strong she already is.

Jen     at 11:09 am

Cullen is starting to look SO much like Casey!

Ms.D     at 11:18 am

Oscillococcinum is made with duck hearts… not sure if you knew this or not. I found out after using it years ago.

Oh wow. I did NOT know! GROSS! Thanks for telling me.

Anne     at 11:25 am

Hey Emily,
First time commenting – love your site.
My little guy is about 2 weeks older than Cullen and has recently gone through some of the same teething hell that you are now. I wanted to share with you two things that worked wonders for us: 1)Amber teething necklace: baby wears it around his neck (not for chewing) and it relieves most of the symptoms of teething. I was skeptical when I first bought it, but after seeing how my son copes with teething with it on and how he coped (read: didn’t cope) without it, I’m totally sold. 2)Hyland’s homeopathic teething gel. It goes on like orajel, but doesn’t leave baby with that awful numb feeling. I tried it before I gave it to my son and the only thing I noticed was that it tasted…interesting. He loves it, though. It helps him sleep. Hyland’s has tablets too if you prefer that.
Hope that helps. And hang in there!

That helps a lot, and I am going to look for both of these when the next tooth pops up! Thank you!

jodie Reply:

i was just going to suggest the amber teething necklace too! a friend of mine used it (or i should say is using) it for her son… amazing results! made a HUGE difference in his symptoms. he just cut a couple of molars and she didn’t even no… he wasn’t cranky at all! just make sure you get the real deal… apparently there are a TON of “knock-offs” on the market! :)….

Emily     at 11:45 am

We did the Hyland’s teething tablets but then they got recalled. Maybe they are back out now. Someone told us about another homeopathic teething remedy and I think it was called Humphries but I never found that. I’m only guessing from your post that you don’t want to go the tylenol route but that really helps too.

No we did Tylenol too, just only when it seemed really bad. Since he had symptoms for a whole week, I didn’t really want to give him Tylenol for that whole stretch of time. I’ll definitely check out some of the other tablets and biscuits (once he’s on solids) for the next teeth to come!

Ema Reply:

Hylands are back. We give them to our soon-to-be 2 year-old and they seem to really help her with teething pain. They are a great alternative if you don’t want to be using tylenol all the time.

Stephanie Reply:

Hylands teething tablets are wonderful. My little one turns four months next week and we are dealing with first tooth woes as well. My ped. recommended them and we are having our first night of “regular” sleep in days! Hoping this continues…

Amber K     at 11:50 am

Crossing my fingers that your blog is still working as I post this. I just wanted to say that it must be so hard to watch him in pain! I’m sending all of my good vibes your way for your everyone to feel better!

Cara     at 12:14 pm

Emily – You are such a champ! Handling everything with poise and grace. Hang in there dear!

RachelSD     at 12:24 pm

You poor thing! That’s the motto in our family– “you might as well laugh because otherwise you’ll just cry.” Hang in there, things will be looking up soon!

Kaci     at 12:26 pm

Oh wow, hang in there. Ugh! XOXO

Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction     at 12:35 pm

I’ve missed your blog in these past few days! I’m sorry about Cullen’s teeth and Casey’s flu :( I guess you are going to have to be super mom for these next few weeks! By the way, cullen really gets cuter with every blog post!!!

aww thanks :)

Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life)     at 12:38 pm

Sounds like it might have been a blessing that your blog was down, so you didn’t have to fuss with it. Sounds like you’ve had your hands full! Poor thing. I hope everyone gets to feeling better soon!

Which tooth broke through? Bottom?

bottom left!

Kathryn     at 12:39 pm

Not sure how this works with breastfeeding and all, but I’d say you deserve a nice glass of wine. Hang in there!

Sarah@The Flying ONION     at 12:40 pm

Hang in there!! Things will get better. Get plenty of rest and eat well…I find those are the two best medicines against catching the flu!

Alex @ Raw Recovery     at 1:08 pm

Oh poor baby, teething is tough on them. Hope you all stay healthy :)

gillian     at 1:17 pm

i hear ya! i spent last week (my birthday week too!) taking care of a 2 year old and a very sick husband and trying to not get sick in the process! hang in there!

happy belated birthday to you!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama     at 1:20 pm

I know it doesn’t seem like it now, but you’ll look back at this time as a “remeber when” story. Last year we had the same week of hell – the stomach flu went through our house in one week. My husband, 6 month old twins, and I were all vomiting. Oh, and the kids were teething,too. Good times!

Lissy     at 2:26 pm

I hope everyone is on the upswing!

I really believe in the amber teething necklace. I didn’t have it for son, and I remember teething being really tough.

My baby(who is 20 months :( ) has been wearing hers since she was 3 or so months had rare issues with teething. We do leave it on all the time though. It looks really cute in all of her pictures!

Heidi from BundlesofHugs     at 2:52 pm

Aww, poor little guy! I remember when Jeffrey’s teeth came in. Luckily they ended up all coming in at one time after those first two came in. Something yucky is going around we were sick too. Hydrate and wipe everything down as much as possible. And, don’t forget to get some rest!

Steph @ funnygirltales     at 2:56 pm

Glad to see you’re back up and running! I’m making my way through your archives as I’m doing some research on moving to DC and you have a lot of great info! I figured it was time to say hello. :) I was going to recommend the amber teething necklaces (not a Mom yet myself but have friends who’ve had luck with it) http://www.amberartisans.com/amtene.html
but I see a few others beat me to it. Hope the little man is feeling better soon. Well, both of them actually. Cullen is an absolute doll.

Ciao!

Steph C

Catalina @ Cake with Love     at 2:57 pm

The second picture in the post is super cute!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers     at 4:08 pm

Glad your back up and running. I’m trying to do my post for tomorrow and my photo’s aren’t loading and I don’t go through Dreamhost. Oh,, I remember when my baby sister was teething, hang in there, you’ll get through it!!

Katie     at 8:40 pm

I have NO personal experience with them, but my friends who work in a preschool swear up and down that the babies who have amber teething necklaces are much, much less fussy than babies who don’t have them. As a nursing student who is really into evidence based practice, I have to say I just search a bunch of medical databases and came up with nothing (good or bad), but what I’ve heard anecdotally seems promising!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing     at 9:10 pm

You are one strong, strong woman… you have my admiration.

Meagan     at 9:31 pm

I spot a kombucha! They’re great :) I recommend the gingerade if you like ginger! It’s fantastic! You have a great attitude even despite this past week. Good job Emily! Hopefully you’re boys will be better soon :D

Christine     at 10:22 pm

I’m glad it wasn’t just my computer but I’m glad you are back up and running… though the home stuff must be tough! My hubby and I are off to Maui tomorrow for a friend’s wedding, I’m sure you wish you were back there, flu, teething baby and all. Hope everyone feels better quickly and don’t forget to take care of yourself too.

Coco     at 5:09 am

Poor little man.. I can just imagine how much pain he’s in.. But I feel like the 1st tooth is probably the hardest? I mean I have no idea since I’m not a mom.. but I hope that’s the case for both of your sakes!

Kelly     at 6:53 am

Teething is the worst because there is very little you can do but wait it out. Teething tablets work really well and Tylenol is nice for relieving their pain, especially at night so they can sleep. I also loved those mesh binkies you can buy at Target. Put an ice cube or frozen grapes in them and babies love it. Plus nothing can get through the mesh so you don’t have to worry about choking. Good luck!

Kath     at 7:27 am

Sorry to hear it’s been a tough week! But I love that last picture :)

Azka     at 9:21 am

Aww Emily, that sounds really tough, and you’re doing a great job! I am glad you write so honestly about the challenges of motherhood – I am currently looking up all of these remedies from the comments section to get for my teething son (two weeks younger to Cullen).
A quick (selfish) question – what is this ball of rubber band thingies Cullen is biting down on? I’m trying to improve Ibraheem’s grip or get him interested to hold things :) that looks really fun!
Good luck and hang in there!

Um that is the BEST TOY EVER!! You need one!! Every baby in my mom’s group is obsessed with it.

Azka Reply:

Thank you!

Sarah     at 11:45 am

You are a super mama. I hope things get better- and fast. You’re doing great!

Miriam@Bellaspire     at 2:25 pm

Man, you’ve been through the ringer!! How much can a girl go through? I had the flu this weekend too and it is MISERABLE!! I can’t even begin to imagine having to take care of a teething infant at the same time. I hope you stay healthy!! On a lighter note, I really love those cute yellow shoe socks :)

Jacquelyn     at 4:06 pm

Look at his little pumpkin hiney!!

Maria     at 10:54 am

Oscillococcinum is the best!

Hope things are getting better soon!
Greetings from Hamburg, Germany,