A Day In The Life Of A Five Month Old Baby.

5:00-5:30am – Wake up!

Cullen starts making noise on the monitor, and I bury my head in the pillow and groan.  Casey gets up and jumps into the shower, and I pretend to not hear any of it.  After ten-ish minutes of whining and scooting around the crib, I head into his room to feed him.

March 10

His diaper is usually leaking at this point, so I strip off his pajamas and put him in a clean diap.  I do everything in the dark, hopeful that once he’s clean and full he’ll want to go back to sleep.  That never actually happens, but in my sleep-deprived delusions, I still try every time.

6:00am – Reality strikes

I have been rocking him for 15 minutes, and he is wide awake and trying to play.  This boy is absolutely not going back to sleep.  We head into the bedroom to talk to Casey while he finishes getting ready for work.  Once he heads out for the day, I get ready to start mine.

2012-03-19 08.42.02

7:00am – Starting the day

I put Cullen down on the bedroom floor with a few toys, and I jump into the shower. He’s usually in a great mood in the mornings, and now that he’s able to army crawl, he’s very content to just have a big open space to move around in.  I shower, get dressed, and do my makeup – if I don’t do it now, it’s not going to happen.

March 9

We head into Cullen’s room to get him dressed, and then we grab the dogs and all head to the 2nd floor.

8:00am – Breakfast for all

Cullen goes into the Jumperoo, while I head to the 1st floor to let the pups outside.  Back upstairs, I grab their food bowls – back downstairs, I fill them up in the garage.  I let them in and we all head up.

If Cullen is content in the jumperoo, I attempt to eat breakfast too.  I usually sit on the coffee table and talk to him while I eat, because it buys me a little more time than if he’s left unattended.

Oatmeal is feeling very repetitive these days, but it keeps the milk supply up!

On other days when he’s gotten up too early, he’s ready to head back to bed at this point for a short 20 minute nap.  He also needs to eat again, which only takes about 10-12 minutes total these days.

9:00am – The morning nap

We are just finally hitting that sweet spot that I’ve been reading about in all the sleep books.  Cullen is settling into a pretty predictable morning/afternoon sleep pattern (which will implode now that I’ve typed this).  Almost like clockwork, around 9am every morning he starts to rub his eyes and show signs that he’s tired.

I rock him with his pacifier and a blanket under his face, and let him get sleepy and drowsy.  Just as he starts to fall asleep, I move him to the crib, turn on the sleep sheep and monitor, and tip toe out quietly.

2012-03-29 10.02.02

The beauty of the morning nap is that they are finally starting to be longer. Up until last week or so, his naps were never more than 30 minutes. But he seems to be settling into napping for close to an hour in the mornings!

10:30am – Walking and playing

Once he’s up, it’s time for a snuggle from mom and a clean diaper.  Since we’re usually getting ready to head out for the afternoon, I feed him around now too.  Depending on what day it is, I try to always have some sort of afternoon activity planned.  One day a week we head to moms group, which Cullen LOVES.  He is so into watching other babies!  (Check out the hand holding – eeeeeee!)

On other days, depending on the weather we might meet another friend for a walk, or head to storytime at the local bookstore.  He loves storytime because of the songs and all the other kids there.  I don’t think he even sees the books being read, but he loves the environment.

March 15 (640x427)

Since he’s at home with me every day and not in a daycare, I work hard to get him around as many other kids and sights/sounds as possible.  I’ve also been doing a few mommy & me types of classes – it’s fun to have new things to do with him now that he’s so much more interactive.

My afternoons out with him are also good for me.  Being at home with a baby can feel very isolating at times, and I can’t say enough about the value of having other moms in my life.  It’s nice to go for walks and know that your company understands meltdowns, missed naps, blowouts, and all the other baby drama.

If we’re on our own for the afternoon, this is generally when I’ll try to take him out for a run or walk by myself, so that we both get some much needed fresh air.  If it’s cold or rainy, we bundle up!  Seattle moms do not fear the rain.

2:00pm – The afternoon nap

We’re usually home by late afternoon, and Cullen is ready to eat again.  He often takes a light snooze during playgroup or our walks, but he still needs more of a formal nap in his crib in the afternoon.  I rock him and sing to him, and he dozes off for the next 60 minutes or so.

This is a great chance for me to finally eat lunch, let the dogs out again, switch laundry, check/answer emails, clean up toys, make phone calls, etc.  And longer naps mean I can actually make proper meals from time to time!

Two soft-cooked eggs on a sourdough English muffin with Earth Balance.

Spinach salad with avocado, mushrooms, and walnuts in orange-miso dressing.

3:00pm – Playtime at home

Once Cullen wakes up, he usually plays in his crib for a while.  I have a few hanging toys and stuffed animals in there that he loves, and it buys me 15-20 minutes of extra crib time – priceless.  It’s also great for him to learn how to play independently.  One of the best parts of my day is when I do finally go into his room, and he greets me with a giant smile (and crazy bed head!).

March 19 (640x480)

At this point, we play in either the living room or his nursery.  Now that he’s working on crawling, he likes to chase toys across the room and harass our dogs.  I set toys out for him, put baby music on, and we play for an hour or so on the floor.

4pm – Where is dad?

This is usually the point where I start to feel kind of drained for the day.  I’m ready for a new face and an extra set of hands.  I feed Cullen again while we wait and listen for the door to open!  I take videos of him and upload them for the grandparents.  I stare at the clock.  A lot.

Casey is usually home between 4:30-5ish, and after he changes and unpacks, he gets his own time to snuggle and play.  One of my favorite parts of the day is seeing Cullen’s reaction when Casey comes in.  Boys and dads – it’s something special I tell ya.

March 8 (640x427)

For the past few months Casey has been really bogged down with work, so even once he gets home he will continue to work at the counter while I talk to him and bounce Cullen around.  Recently we tried to revamp this a bit – now the 4:30-6:00 window is becoming Casey’s time with Cullen.  Alone.  Mama needs a break, and it’s good for both of them to have some alone time together.

I finish up a little bit of work, get dinner started, feed the dogs, and (hopefully) squeeze in a run if possible.

6:00pm – Winding down

As he’s gotten older, Cullen has started putting himself to bed earlier and earlier.  What used to be 7:30pm (like clockwork!) is now more like 6:15 or 6:30.  We have tried keeping him up later (to hopefully encourage him to wake up later in the mornings) but he just can’t do it, and we want to respect his sleep.

I take him upstairs and put him into his special PJ diapers and his jammies.  If it’s a bath night, we do that now too (usually twice a week).  If he’s still pretty happy, we’ll read a few books in the glider.  If he’s starting to fade quickly, I go straight to feeding him.

He absolutely never falls asleep eating anymore, and pulls off after only 5-ish minutes on each side.  Once he lets me know he’s done, we rock and sing, and I watch his eyes get heavy.  He goes into his crib easily, and is pretty good about settling himself to sleep.  A few kisses from mom and then I’m back downstairs for the night.

7:00pm – 10:00pm – Mom and dad time

Having Cullen on a consistent (and early) bedtime has been a huge help in giving me and Casey a little time to ourselves in the evenings.  This is when we finish work, make dinner, and get a chance to talk about our days.  We usually watch a show or two before retiring to bed for the night.

2012-03-29 19.32.52

12:00am – 2:am – Midnight feeding

We’re still getting up once a night for a middle-of-the-night feeding, and the time is varying quite a bit these days.  What was consistently 3am a few weeks ago is now as early as midnight some nights.  I have tried simply soothing him through this feeding to see if it’s just wakefulness rather than hunger, but it never works.

I take him out and feed him, and he falls back asleep after 15-20 minutes.  Back into the crib for him, and back into bed for me.

5am – Good morning!

We’re up again after sometimes just 2ish hours of sleep from the previous feeding, and the cycle starts all over again…

2012-01-30 09.55.00

It’s crazy to re-read my day in the life of a 7 week old baby post, and see how different things are now.

A few notable changes between then and now:

• Feedings are much shorter and are 3 hours apart now – they take up so much less of our day!
  • Cullen sleeps in his own room now – both for napping and overnight!  This makes a huge difference in the quality of both of our sleep, and my productivity during the day.
  • He is much more independent these days, and able to entertain himself for longer stretches.  While I still play and interact with him all day long, I feel a lot less frantic that I must maximize every minute.
  • We get out and do so much more than we used to!  It’s fun that he can participate in our activities now instead of always sleeping through them.

I can only imagine how different this will look in another few months.  Each day is different and there are always surprises, but I go to bed each night feeling incredibly blessed and lucky that I have the opportunity to be at home with my little munchkin, watching him grow.

Jill     at 7:49 pm

Why only two baths a week? Just curious!

Babies don’t really sweat or get dirty enough to need daily bathing until they are much more active! We do two a week unless there is a major poop or puke incident that necessitates an extra. :)

Sana     at 7:49 pm

:) I am so impressed with everything that you do!

Liz     at 7:53 pm

Have you thought more about starting solids? Might help him sleep through the night better. My experience has been them sleeping through the nights 3-5 months, starts to wake up again, starts solid and back to sleeping through the night!

We are planning to start in a few weeks! I’m excited!

Jess Reply:

I was going to suggest the same thing. I had a workmate who had a very wakeful baby. One of the mums suggested baby rice (I think?!) before bed and the baby started sleeping through the night. Breastfeeding is great, but maybe Cullen needs more than that?

Yeah we are going to start soon. He has never slept completely through the night though, so it’s not like he suddenly started back up. It’s been a tiring five months. :)

Kelly Reply:

I was going to say the same : ) My son started sleeping through the night when we started solids too. His bedtime and wake up times also changed, now he goes to bed at 6pm and is up at 6.30. Naps are still random but I’ll take sleeping through the night!!
You’re doing great, congrats : )

Katy @ MonsterProof Reply:

Try, but don’t be discouraged if it doesn’t solve everything. Sometimes it just takes time. My son started solids at 5.5 months, but didn’t sleep through the night until 7.5. He just wasn’t ready. He still (at 10 months) sometimes wakes up at 4:30 to nurse, then will sleep for another hour and 1/2 to 2 hours. (He goes to bed at 7:30.) It depends on if he’s having a growth spurt/how my supply was that day. Just roll with it. I know it’s tiring!

My other comment was just…oh to have an army crawler again! 10 months is a blast, but they get FAST.

Tamicka     at 7:54 pm

Thanks for sharing your day in the life of a five month old. It’s nice for me to see what it’s actually like even though I used to work in a daycare infant room it seems different to be one on one with a baby by yourself and I looked forward to it :-)

Michelle Eden @ From Seed To Tree     at 7:54 pm

I love this post – it’s great to hear what your day looks like. Gives me an idea for my future!

Tamara     at 7:57 pm

I loved reading this, Emily! Such a jam packed day tucked into a short time frame!

I’ve done something like this as well! If you’d like to check it out here is the link.

Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More     at 7:57 pm

He’s getting so big! The photo of him in his hoodie is adorable.

Lauren @ Lawfully Wedded Wife     at 8:01 pm

These posts are amazing! Love getting this perspective! :)

Leanne (Bride to Mrs.)     at 8:04 pm

I think it’s absolutely fantastic that you have some “you” time while Casey had dad/son time with Cullen. From what I’ve heard, it’s really easy to get looped into taking care of everyone else and putting yourself on the back burner.. so it’s really inspiring to see you make an effort to still do your own thing :)

m     at 8:09 pm

It’s like reading my own life (except I think you get out more!) Even though my husband gets home at 6:15, I also start to feel drained (and start looking at the slow moving clock) around 4pm every day :)

Have you tried disposables overnight? We use them (cloth during the day) and it eliminates the need for the 5 am change…

We were just talking about this tonight! What kind are you using? An actual overnight disposable, or just a regular one?

jen Reply:

sorry to jump in-but our daughter use to wake up with soaked clothes/sheets every morning and i started to just going up a size at night-so if she was in a size 3 (disposable) diaper-i would put a 4 on her overnight and it helped a lot. i have tried the overnight diapers and haven’t noticed much difference and they are a bit more expensive too.

katie@newmamamac Reply:

i use size 4 huggies overnights on my son who regularly wears a size 3 as well. he sleeps 6-6, and granted he is pretty soaked in the morning it works! we also put a ton of butt cream on his butt before the diaper so that he doesnt get a rash from peeing all night.

Awesome – thanks for the tip!

m Reply:

Just regular pampers (though on the box it says something like “good up to 12 hours”). We still get up for the 4:30 or 5 am feed, but since there is no need to change diapers, she stays sleepy and we can *usually* get another hour (sometimes more, sometimes, like today, not!)

Awesome – thank you!

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie     at 8:14 pm

He is adorable! You are such a great mom! Thanks so much for sharing your journey with all of us, I’m loving following it!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing     at 8:30 pm

It seems like you and Cullen have BOTH gotten into your groove… you are both so relaxed and happy! And Cullen’s little personality shines through!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie     at 8:36 pm

So glad he’s settling into an easier routine for you! I love seeing how other people’s babies act. I’m cooking up my second and wonder if it’ll be a huge difference from my first. Even thought he’s only 1 1/2 years old I have really forgotten those early months quite a bit.

elizabeth     at 9:17 pm

How do you make your orange miso dressing?

orange juice, olive oil, white miso, coarse mustard, ume plum vinegar, and a pinch of salt – whisk! I just eyeball everything until it’s the right amount and consistency!

Katie @ Soulshine and Sassafras     at 9:38 pm

I had absolutely no idea how much work babies are until you started posting your “Day in the LIfe of” series. I have such a new appreciation for mommies – and a bit of apprehension for the day I become one!

I am tired just reading all of that, but it all seems so worth it. :)

Erin O     at 11:43 pm

Just wondering, what are his special PJ diapers? We are always looking for solutions to keep baby drier at night.

We do TotsBots cloth with an extra insert, but they are still leaking quite a bit. We’re going to start trying disposables at night soon!

Leslie Reply:

We have had a similar problem with our cloth leaking at night. We’ve found the more she’s up at night nursing the more she leaks (the more in the more out). On nights when she’s up just once we’ve had a lot of success with a knickernappies loopydo insert (hemp and terry)and a cottonbabies hemp insert inside a rumparooz pocket diaper. In general hemp and microfiber seem to be a good combo for us (hemp behind the microfiber). We occasionally get a leak now but it’s much better. It’s been a huge learning process getting a night time diaper that works!

Marisa     at 12:27 am

I’ve been reading your blog for a few months now and like with other blogs I usually don’t comment, but I could not help it this time. OMG I love that last photo (I don’t have children but have 2 golden retrievers). You are one busy momma! Thanks for sharing your life with us.

Maria     at 2:51 am

Thanks for writing this! I sent this to a few friends who have been curious as to what my day looks like, and this is pretty close (even the oatmeal!). I hope this isn’t a really annoying suggestion (like when people tell you to give formula while you are breastfeeding), but my daughter does the 5am thing too, but the difference is that with her overnight diaper, I don’t have to change her yet, so I don’t really get her too ‘riled up’, and I’m able to feed her and get her to go back to sleep until at least 7. I’m wondering if the diaper change is getting him too awake? Just a thought….I know I suck every ounce of sleep out of the night when I can!

I think we are going to start overnight diapers! Great suggestion. :)

Brittnie (A Joy Renewed)     at 3:07 am

Great post. I love that you are giving a reality into your day… very helpful for a soon to be mom like myself (5 weeks to go!).

SO EXCITING!!!

Mrs M     at 3:45 am

I think you need to really give yourself a pat on the back – I was exhausted just reading what you pack into a day! I haven’t had children yet and being a naturally busy person anyone can’t quite work out how people fit them in. Enjoy every moment x

Thanks Mrs. M! )

Stacy @ Stacy Eats     at 3:47 am

That’s a busy day! You are a great mom and Cullen is absolutely adorable. Love every single picture. :)

SushiandStrudel     at 4:22 am

I have a really random question: Do your dogs shed? I’ve noticed for a long time that your house appears super clean and Cullen hangs out on the floor and in bed, which is also of course where your dogs hang out. My dog also of course hangs out on the bed and on the floor, and he sheds like CRAZY. We don’t have kids yet, but the thought has already gone through my mind…how to handle my loveable hair-everywhere dog and also (presumably) wanting to allow my baby to hang out where the dog does.

They are German Shorthaired Pointers, so yes they do shed, but their hair is all really short and somewhat coarse. It’s not the long fluffy shedding you might get from like a Golden Retriever (or a cat!). I just assume that dog hair is going to be part of Cullen’s life. When he’s on the floor, I either put a blanket down or try to vacuum pretty often. But there are plenty of times I look down and he has dog hair stuck to the drool on his face. :) Gross, but it happens.

Coco     at 4:23 am

Man I’m tired just reading this post.. Your amazing Emily- you truly are an amazing mother! It’s so great that you make that time to get yourself dressed and ready- get out of the house and have the interaction with others. I don’t work a full time job and on the days when I am home and studying it would be so much easier to stay in PJs and slack- I find it much more productive if I actually get myself ready and head out to study- even though I’m not talking to anyone else its nice to be around others.. It looks like you have a great group of moms and babies to interact with.. Again.. Your awesome!!

If I stay in sweatpants and don’t shower, I end up feeling like crap by lunchtime. It’s critical for my self-esteem to try to look and feel good! Weekends are another story…

Coco Reply:

I’m sure! I also wanted to suggest another way to get your oats in- without having to have another bowl of oatmeal… and it has a ton of protein to keep you full- Maybe you’ve seen something similar:

1/2 cup oats
1/4 low fat cottage cheese
1 egg (sometimes I’ll add an extra egg white, or just use two egg whites)
1 tsp Chia seeds
slash of vanilla
Blend everything together and cook as you would a pancake. Sometimes I sprinkle it with coconut, walnuts, chocolate chips, etc before flipping it- Once brown on both sides you can either eat it right away or allow to cool- It turns out dense and yummy!

Simply Life     at 4:28 am

I loved reading this- thanks for sharing!

Julie     at 4:48 am

I am tired just reading this! My kids are now 5 and 11 and it is so much easier – lol!

You mentioned that Cullen loves to see the other babies and this reminded me of something my friends and I did when our kids were little. We cut out (large) pictures of baby faces from magazines and pasted them on a bristol board. The kids just loved looking at the other babies and would manage to get from one end of the room to the other to get to the board.

Jen     at 5:09 am

Thank you so much for sharing your life with us! I have loved watching Cullen grow and I can’t believe he’s already 5 months old! Thank you for sharing your struggles and joys!

Katie@Real Food Katie's Way     at 5:12 am

At numerous points in this post my biological clock was ticking very quickly!

….Don’t tell my husband ;)

Anne     at 5:17 am

Wow, seems like a very good balance between being out/being at home, alone time, etc. Inspiring.

Kayla @ The Best Things     at 5:23 am

Loved the post! I’m socking away all this info in the dark recesses of my brain for when I have babies!! It looks like you’re doing a great job!

Tanya @ Vegan Faith     at 5:50 am

I just love the photo of Cullen and Casey! So cute! Cullen has such a little personality! It makes me weepy just looking at the photos!

Haley S     at 5:51 am

He is still the cutest kid ever and that picture of him in Casey’s lap is beyond priceless! I’m glad things are going well for you all…

Lindsey     at 6:00 am

Great post! I’m anxiously awaiting the arrival of my little guy in 9ish weeks..so excited! We have a dog and while I’m not concerned about how she’s going to be with the baby, I am wondering if there’s anything I can do to get her ready for big changes. Did you do anything to prepare yours for Cullen’s arrival?

We just tried to encourage them to go into the nursery, and we set up all the baby things (like pack n play) ahead of time so that it wasn’t all new at once. They were VERY freaked out at first, but now it’s no big deal. Everyone will adjust. Congrats and good luck to you!!

kelly     at 6:06 am

Thanks for sharing! My day is a lot like yours. So draining, but so rewarding :)

Marilyn     at 6:13 am

Goodnight! That boy is cute. :-) His smiles make ME smile.

Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life)     at 6:31 am

I love reading about your days with Cullen! It’s amazing how busy little ones will keep you. I find some days I try to explain to David what I did all day, and when I list it out, it doesn’t sound like much, so I always add on “…and raised your child” :)

Haha YES. I’ve been known to say that too. :)

Alex @ Raw Recovery     at 6:36 am

Wow that sounds exhausting but still very rewarding. It must be nice that he is more interactive and able to keep himself preoccupied. The army crawl is super cute and I love when babies do that; they are so proud of themselves for being mobile :) Kudos to you for all the hard work you do. I know people who have family help during the day and still are overwhelmed so I hope you give yourself a lot of credit because you are doing an awesome job. You should treat yourself to a massage or something :)

Bethany     at 6:56 am

Your day sounds pretty typical for a baby that age. Books would like you to think that your baby should be sleeping 12 hours at this point. My second daughter just started started sleeping 12 hours at 11 1/2 months. Give it time. Also, it is great that your husband is able to take Cullen for an hour or so each evening. For many moms. that is a luxury. I think as moms we tend to think that others have it easier than us. I, too, think of all those moms that have family nearby. How nice that would be to have help now and then! I also think of all those moms that have a husband that is home each night. My husband travels a lot and it often gone. I have a 2 1/2 year old and a 12 mo old. It is really difficult at times, but I know other moms have it hard too. There are some moms that are doing it alone or those with deployed husbands. I can’t even imagine.

I know you are frustrated with the lack of time you have to exercise. It is normal to feel that way, but this is the situation for most moms. I am training for an 8K and I need someone to come and watch my kids while I run sometime this weekend. I have asked everyone I know and no one can do it. I don’t know how I am going to get around this, but these things happen. It is my life right now. My life with a traveling husband. My life without family nearby. My life as a mom.

Hi Bethany! I hope it didn’t seem like I was complaining or suggesting that our schedule was abnormal or extra tough. I actually feel really lucky that Cullen goes down for bed as easily as he does, and usually only wakes one time these days. Yes, of course I wish he slept in later, but that’s just because I really like to sleep. :) I don’t talk about it publicly much, but Casey actually travels for work too. Those weeks are extra tough on all of us. I can only imagine how much more complicated things get with another child in the mix! I do miss running, but to be totally honest with you, I’m really happy being a mom and if that means running less, I’m okay with that. Kids are only little and super-needy once, and I still have a lot of running years left in my life. I hope you find someone to watch your kiddos for the race – how frustrating. You sound like a great mom – hang in there!

Heather (Heather's Dish)     at 6:58 am

i know i’ve told you this already, but these updates are seriously so helpful for us new moms to read! it’s only your experience, but i can’t help but be hopeful that feeding won’t take up our entire day at some point. i’m definitely cherishing it right now, but there are so many other new experiences that i can’t wait to do with weston…if we could just figure out how to streamline the feeding :)

also, being a stay at home mom is hard work and i think it’s great that you’re working on getting out of the house as much as possible with him. that’s our goal too once he’s cleared to be around other kiddos!

I am so glad! And yes, feedings well become a much less significant part of your day. I actually miss those early long nursing sessions now. :) You will feel great (and like super woman!) once you can get out of the house more. It makes a huge difference!

Lizzie @TheWeekdayVegan     at 7:04 am

Adorable!!
Two things I noticed:

1) Cullen is starting to look more like you now!! He is looking like a mix of you and Casey instead of just looking like a mini Casey!

2) You are eating eggs!!

You think so? Our families are saying that too, but I still see so much Casey. Maybe it’s harder to see yourself in the opposite sex – who knows. And yes, eggs! I’ve actually always eaten eggs – just not dairy anymore. :) I love eggs for a quick and healthy lunch!

Ellen     at 7:09 am

Emily,

After reading your posts like these, I’m always impressed with how great of a mother you are! It’s fun to see your “day in the life of.” And Cullen is growing so much! Keep up all your love for Cullen. You’ll never regret it!

Jamie     at 7:29 am

I love these posts because they are so honest and real in how they describe life with a baby. I am 3 months pregnant now, due in october like you were with Cullen! So excited to be moving into this new phase of life! I love reading your pregnancy posts as well to follow along and see what’s in store. Love your blog, Emily! Thank you!

Congrats! Clearly I am biased, but I thought October was a great month to have a baby. :)

Nicole     at 8:21 am

Thanks for doing these day-in-the-life style posts. It’s really educational for someone like me who doesn’t have kids yet.

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed     at 8:22 am

I love this post! I am so clueless about babies haha. I’m going to my first baby shower this weekend! Thanks for the sneak peak into your lives. Cullen is so cute, I love the pic with him and the pooch sleeping back to back, so precious!

Amanda Larson     at 8:40 am

One of my favorite blogs to follow:) I had my son in November just after you had Cullen. I love having this to relate to and to see things I can improve or different ideas. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Amanda!

Bethany @ Accidental Intentions     at 8:43 am

This is such an interesting post to read. I’m not looking to become a mother anytime soon, but I had NO idea how much work it was/how time consuming it was. A+ to you for being able to stay sane through all of it.

Leta     at 9:03 am

Hi Emily – wow, what an exhausting day! I’m a mom to a 9 year old boy and it took me back, that’s for sure!

I’m sure you get more advice than you’re really looking for, so take from this whatever it’s worth (and I do know how much easier it is to offer advice from the other side of the fence!). Even at just 5 months, Cullen is OK to not have you at his complete and total beck and call. It sounds like you’re starting to step away here and there to make sure you have time to shower, do a few necessities, etc. That’s good – but don’t worry about squeezing in a meal at only nap time, for example. You need to take care of your needs, just as you care for his! He’ll survive a few teary minutes in the jumparoo, or his crib, pack n’ play or whatever if it means you can have a bite to eat before you’re starving. Once he’s in a high chair there are lots of things that are safe to give him that will keep him entertained – just ensure he’s safe, and take the bit of time you need.

Our babies need to learn independence, as much as it can kill us as mothers, LOL! There will always be some resistance in the beginning, but you’ll face this no matter the age. Cullen gets to spend every waking moment with you, so don’t feel like you have to make every one of those moments just about him – it’s great for babies to learn that moms are people, too!

Hey Leta! Thank you! :) I definitely know what you mean about relaxing as far as being 100% on all the time with Cullen, and I think as he’s gotten older that has already happened (and will continue to happen). He wants to crawl ALL the time, so I actually find my hands free more often than not these days! I think it’s important for him to learn how to play alone, as well as to be stimulated outside. As far as eating goes, I usually just wait til he naps so that I can actually cook something good rather than grab something quick. I still snack on granola bars and nuts and things when he’s awake, but I’d rather treat myself to a real lunch and be able to sit down and eat at a normal pace while he sleeps. :) We don’t have a high chair yet, but we’re planning to get one soon! I’m sure that will help when we can eat together.

Leta Reply:

You’re doing a great job, and coping beautifully. Gotcha’ on your lunch….I was thinking you were feeling like you had to rush, or wait too long before taking the time to eat and just wanted to voice that there’s no reason to feel guilty if you’re not able to tend to him the moment he wants you. Gosh, I sound like my mom – it really is one of those things you “get” as the time passes, and when you see a new mom feeling frazzled you want to pass on! :D

Definitely get the high chair, we found it a lifesaver when it came to mealtimes. Even if he doesn’t need it for feeding now, it’s not a bad idea to get one and get him used to sitting in it while you’re working on lunch or dinner. Sitting up and having some things to play with on the tray can be VERY entertaining!!

We all find our own path as moms, and you’re handling yourself like a pro in spite of the challenges you have being so far from family. Take care of yourself – all you can do is your best in the moment. Keep doing that and you’ll be just fine!

Dina     at 9:16 am

Hi Emily! My daughter is 4 days younger than Cullen. It’s so interesting reading your “day in the life”! For overnight, we use BG Elementals and she never soaks through after 10-12 hours. However, I recently started using BabyKicks cotton/hemp doublers just so she’s not quite so wet when she wakes up. They are the perfect length (I found most doublers to be too long) and suuuper soft, and definitely help her little cheeks stay dry!

Also, I’ve been struggling with the same exact bottle rejection problem you wrote about a couple weeks ago (I commented then about excess lipase as a potential source of your struggles). I tried every bottle that other moms swore worked for their picky babies – Playtex drop-ins, Born Free, Avent, wide-neck Dr. Brown’s, etc. – with no success. Finally this week I tried one more bottle, called Comotomo, which is designed to mimic the feel of a real breast. My daughter pushed it away for a split second, and then took it and started guzzling. She has taken it without hesitation a few times now. You can buy them on Amazon, they are pretty pricey (about $15 each) but it is so worth it to me to find a bottle that makes her happy! So, I just wanted to share that with you in case you were still having problems. Good luck!

Great advice on the both the diapers and the bottles (still no luck there)! Thank you!

ARPL     at 9:47 am

Love posts like these. My son is now 3 and I forget how it once was. Being a stay-at-home mom for a year made my heart go out to the single moms out there. I would literally wait outside the door for daddy to come home.

I have no idea how single moms do it. I don’t really talk about it here for safety and privacy reasons, but Casey also travels for work from time to time. It’s really tough when I’m on my own.

Amanda Perry at Sistas of Strength     at 9:53 am

Love these posts. I need to do one soon too. :) Soak up (literally) those showers where you can put him on the floor and know that he won’t go too far!! I think the earlier bed time happens to most babies…we used to try and keep him up, but it really doesn’t work and he still wakes up at the same time in the am!

Haha I know! As it is now, he can get all over the room with his army crawl, so I have to close the bedroom and closet doors, and make sure nothing weird is on the floor for him to get into. He’s already a trouble maker!

Blain     at 9:54 am

He is absolutely the most adorable little guy!

ErikaMC     at 10:03 am

I know you didn’t ask for advice or suggestions, but a few things that have helped us (we have a 7 month old) is giving him a nap around 5:00 and then in bed 7:30-8:00 and he will sleep until 7:00-8:00. How many ounces do you think he gets in a day? We are still only feeding him breastmilk but we have increased his ounces and spaced out the feedings more – seems like you feed him quite often so many he isn’t getting as much per feeding? It is fun to see how other moms do it and get pointers. I’ll be interested to see when you start solids. I keep saying “next week” but it hasn’t happened yet~

:) Any time he goes to sleep for a “nap” past 5pm, he ends up sleeping through and doesn’t wake up. So then I’m forced to either let him keep sleeping without pj’s or a full belly, or wake him up and interrupt the sleep cycle. It’s tough! Not sure on the ounces since he’s still not doing bottles – all straight from the boob. He definitely seems like he’s getting enough though since he pulls off on his own each time. He eats every 3-3.5 hours there days. I keep putting off solids too. :)

Sarah     at 10:11 am

Great post! SO informative for those of us that are not yet mothers.
You were saying that Cullen isn’t really able to stay up later at night. We are thinking about having a baby soon and my husband and I both have inflexible finance jobs so we won’t be home til 6 at night. I hoped we could keep the baby up til 8 or 8:30 or something. Is that crazy? Do most babies generally have to go to sleep so early? I’m worried we’ll never all be home as a family while the baby is awake.

You know I can only speak for my own baby, but from what I have read in the baby books, his early bedtime seems to be really normal for his age. Younger babies are up more, so 8-8:30 is more realistic. But from what I understand, once they hit about 4-5 months, the bedtime naturally becomes earlier and earlier for a while. Sounds like your schedule doesn’t have much flexibility, but maybe you can squeeze in some extra snuggle time in the mornings? Casey works in finance too, so I totally understand. On nights when he gets home late, he is so sad if Cullen is already asleep. :(

Sarah Reply:

Yeah I’ll definitely have to become a morning person for sure. I’ll take 4 months of maternity leave and then my mother will come for a month so it won’t be until the 6 month mark that we are dealing two full-time working parents. It’ll be hard but I’m hoping we’ll figure it out.

You seem to be so great at figuring the whole motherhood thing out. :)

Dina Reply:

Sarah, my 5-month old refuses to go to bed before 9-9:30 (she sleeps until about 7am usually). Sometimes I can push that to 8:30pm but it messes her up. My friend’s 6 month-old wouldn’t go to sleep until midnight! So, Emily is right that Cullen’s pattern is typical according to the sleep books, but at the same time every baby is different. I know the grass is always greener, but I would love it if my daughter went to bed at 6 or 7 so I could get some work done in the evenings! Just some perspective.

Sarah Reply:

Thanks for your response and the additional perspective. Every baby is definitely and with so many working parents out there, it can be done somehow…right? :)

Marie     at 11:06 am

Great post, Emily. Our baby girl is a month behind Cullen, so I always appreciate what is coming up next. Like the 4 month sleep regression! AHHH! I had to smile about the watching the clock – alot – beginning at 4 pm. When I was home on maternity leave I did the same thing. Longest hour ever. I’m back at work now and it is exhausting. Working mom – stay at home mom – does not matter – both are a lot of work and take huge amounts of energy. I appreciate all your family/mom/Cullen posts so much.

Ahh the 4-month regression nearly killed us. You will make it through – I promise! :)

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy     at 12:12 pm

Cullen is such a cute little smiley guy! But your schedule DEFINITELY sounds exhausting. Keep up the great work. Fun to hear about mommyhood.

Maryann     at 12:15 pm

Yes you are so blessed to be able to stay home with Cullen. My step-son and daughter-in-law both work full time and she has 4 children youngest 15 months old. They are so busy but do what they have to do. He is a wonderful baby. Best to you.

Faith (Gracefulfitness)     at 12:18 pm

That last picture is priceless! What a gorgeous son you made!

Megan     at 12:19 pm

Oh, I’m so happy for this post today. It’s so interesting to see how other moms work their days. Even though Cullen is a bit older than my daughter, I’m relieved to see that he follows some patterns that aren’t exactly “textbook”, just as she does. I’ve been having minor stress attacks because she wasn’t napping for certain times, or eating long enough, but it sounds like she’s doing just fine.

Cullen is such a little cutie!

Anne     at 2:33 pm

That picture of Casey and Cullen is absolutely PRICELESS. Looks like you’re doing a great job Mama!

Heidi from BundlesofHugs     at 3:22 pm

What a busy day for momma! Isn’t it crazy how much time it takes to tend and care for them. My little guy is 19 months, he still wakes at 6am and the days are just as long and busy. I love every minute of it though he is totally worth it. What a joy they bring us huh!!

[New Balance] Nicole     at 3:58 pm

I Love this post, Emily! As crazy as your day is, it is so awesome that you can stay home with him! That is so important for him. :)

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama     at 6:41 pm

I love reading your posts about life with a newborn! My twins are 21 months and it seems like a lifetime ago they were that small. You’ll be so glad you have these posts to look back on. I vaguely remember going through all the same things. Gotta love the Mommy Brain!

Shannon Bell     at 7:07 pm

what sweet ADORABLE photos! he is clearly very happy because of all of the love and sweet attention he gets from his mom and dad :-) you look like you’re doing an amazing job!

Maya     at 12:08 am

Wow… I’m so impressed! My daughter’s the same age and we don’t get out as much, don’t have as stable of a routine, and are still co-sleeping. :-/ But she’s happy and healthy and I’m pretty productive and rested, so I guess we’re ok… you’re giving me some inspiration, though! How did you transition to the crib?

Holly     at 5:42 pm

I’ve breastfeed 3 kids and you are at a tough point. I didn’t start solids until 6 months but at 5 months they are getting pretty hungry. You will see a huge change in sleeping. You know if they wake up at night they can’t be hungry. After I started solids, nursing went to only 4 times a day. You’ll feel like a new woman!!

Amanda (modernation)     at 7:54 pm

LOVE that picture of Cullen and Indy snuggled up in bed. I hope our future little ones will be BFFs with our dog, too!

Ky G     at 8:06 pm

Thank you so much for this post….as always, gives me an idea of what I’m in store for with my own little guy who turns 8 weeks on Monday.

Question for you, do you find that Cullen gets into a deeper sleep with the sleep sheep/white noise? Do you turn it on just at the beginning of his “sleeping” on the timer? Or do you turn it on at the beginning of bedtime and for each feeding during bedtime? Does that make sense?

I just turn it on when he’s going down for a nap or bedtime, but it turns off automatically after 20 minutes and he still sleeps. When he was younger, more your little guy’s age, I used a white noise app on my phone to help him sleep – it was a lifesaver!!

allpointswhole     at 6:03 am

A few things: I so related to this. My tot is now 3 but I vividly remember those moments of playing with him while the hubs got ready, cherishing other mom time, praising when he slept longer at naps, and dying for the hubs to get home!

I loved reading this and i absolutely love that last pic of him with the dog. Priceless.

You are doing great and are a fabulous mom!

Thank you! :)

Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep     at 10:23 am

I always love your posts about Cullen. He’s so adorable! I love that you’re so open, honest, and real.

Thanks Andrea!

sallymae     at 1:16 pm

Cullen is super cute! I can’t believe he is crawling! My little guy still has a love/hate relationship with tummy time, but I’m hoping he turns a corner soon. :)

STUFT Mama     at 4:11 pm

Oh I love this day in the life post. I wish I would’ve done some of these. :) I have to admit I’m exhausted reading it though. Oh those days seem so far away. ha ha! Hope you’re enjoying your nightly Mom and Dad time. :) That’s important!!!

jane     at 4:13 pm

so freakin adorable!! I have been catching up on old blog posts today (im in law school and reading blogs is WAY more fun than studying lol) and was wondering if you would ever do a reflection on your life now sober. Many of the posts you wrote seemed very happy with your and Casey’s decision, yet they all had a tinge of feeling very, very alone. Has it been really hard? I know you have not been out in Seattle long, but you never mention going out to dinner with friends, etc. Also, was it easy to stop drinking, or are there times when you just want to have a glass of wine with your husband? Have you thought of how you will broach the subject with Cullen when he begins experimenting in high school/college (i know, so far away!!). I ask just because I find it so interesting. My bf and I have drastically reduced our drinking because we like to be active and were sick of being hungover, and also because it is so expensive to go out to bars!! Ok, this is becoming a novel!

Hey Jane! Hmm I don’t feel like we’re lonely – sorry if I’m coming off that way! But that probably has a lot more to do with moving around a lot than not drinking. Of course it can be a challenge in new environments, when people tend to assume that everyone drinks, but I don’t really even think about it anymore. We actually do occasionally have dinners with friends, I just don’t write about our everyday life as much now as I used to (I think I’ve gotten a bit more protective and private about my family and personal life since Cullen has arrived). The other things is, the main reason we’re home every night not out with friends is because we have a baby who goes to sleep at 6:30pm! It’s hard to be super social before that hour. :) So a lot of our social time comes from mid-day walks or lunch dates on weekends – times when babies are awake and moms and dads can be out and about! I don’t really miss drinking or ever even really think about it anymore. It feels like so long ago that we made that decision, and I still feel our lives are better for it. As far as talking to Cullen about it goes, eh I don’t know. I have a while to worry about that. :)

jane Reply:

Oh Emily, I am sorry I did not really mean for my comment to come across the way it did. I guess I was asking mainly for my own benefit. As I mentioned, my bf and I have drastically cut back and I guess I do feel lonely. I was always quite the “party animal” but it just hurts too much these days ;-)! It sounded to me like Casey was the life of the party as well so I was just wondering how he copes with that. If I had a cute baby and husband to be at home and snuggle with, I think I would be pretty content as well :-)

No worries Jane. I definitely understand where you’re coming from. When we first quit I felt much more isolated and perhaps lonely than I do now. It was hard to learn how to fill time that was previously spent at happy hours or on patios. Eventually it just became second nature though, and like I said, I don’t even think about it anymore.

Sarah     at 6:04 am

Ahhhh, the cutest baby! I love this. The post with all the little ones on the couch needs framed.

krista     at 6:20 am

Just curious – why doesn’t Casey feed the dogs and let them out for a bit in the mornings?

He does sometimes – depends on what time he’s leaving and what time Cullen gets up. If C wakes up really early in the morning, we’ll try to get him back to sleep in the bedroom for a few hours (the dogs sleep in there too). To be honest, they don’t really like getting up at 5am either! And Casey leaves for work really early these days, usually by 6:30 at the latest, so that he can get home earlier and spend time with C before he goes to bed.

Linda     at 11:05 pm

Hi Emily,
Can I ask how you made such a beautiful looking egg? Is like a poached egg?

thanks,
Linda

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » A Day In The Life: 16 Months.     at 3:13 pm

[...] for a year that I will write more of these.  I wrote about life at 7 weeks, and again at 5 months, but then I never followed through again.  I actually really wish I’d written a post like [...]

Mylene     at 12:38 pm

I know you wrote this post a while back but I stumbled upon it today and reading it felt like a breath of fresh air! I have an *almost* 3 year old and a 7 month old – although I truly enjoy staying and working from home with both of them, my days sometimes (ok – most often than not) feel disorganized and I always find myself staring at the clock obsessively in the afternoon, in anticipation of my husband getting home! I appreciate your honesty!

Absolutely! I still do that today. :)