Five Months Old.

Cullen is five months old today!  We really watched him transform this month.  He doesn’t seem like a helpless little baby anymore, but more of a real member of our family – one with his own personality, own voice, and his own little world.

Now that he’s five months old, I don’t find him to be mysterious or confusing anymore.  I have so much more confidence that I can meet his needs and read his signals, and I don’t ever worry about doing things with him or taking him places like I used to.  I know no matter where we are, I can figure out what he needs and make sure he’s happy.

It is so fun to watch him explore the world.  His newest skill is opening and closing his hands over and over again, and rubbing them against carpet, fabric, skin – anything he can touch.  If he can reach it, he will grab it, and everything ultimately ends up in his mouth.

I kiss his fat little cheeks no less than 1,000 times each day.

Sleeping

He has a pretty consistent bedtime these days – usually around 6:30pm.  He sleeps from then until sometime between 1 and 3 (it varies), and he goes back to sleep after I feed and soothe him.  His next wake-up tends to be between 5-6am, which is tough after being up just a few hours before.  It’s hard to get him to go back to sleep at this point, so I usually end up bringing him into bed with me for some extra snuggle time.

2012-03-21 09.16.54

I’m reading Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child and trying to figure out how to eventually eliminate that midnight feeding, and perhaps how to get him to sleep a little later.  Overall, I feel lucky that he’s at least sleeping for relatively long stretches.

Napping is another story.  Naps are battles, and he is not good about going to sleep on his own.  I have to rock him to sleep for almost all of his naps, which is a habit I know I need to break, but is also one that doesn’t always feel worth fighting.  His naps are never more than 30 minutes at a time, and I often find I spend an hour trying to get him to sleep for 30 minutes.  He takes three naps total each day, so those 90 minutes are critical in order me to get anything done.

Eating

We haven’t started solids yet, but I think about it more and more.  I’m still trying to decide if I want to start with pureed foods or take more of a baby-led weaning approach.  I need to learn more about both – sooner than later!  I also need to get some sort of high chair or seat attachment for our chairs before we can get started.

Breastfeeding is still going well, although he tends to fuss a lot while he’s feeding these days.  I don’t know if he’s not getting enough to eat, or if he’s just being fussy – it’s hard to tell.  He has gained plenty of weight though, so I’m not too worried.

He is distracted by even the slightest noises and sounds now, and I have to find quiet spots to feed him in order to do it successfully.  Even just one of the dogs being in the room with a clinky collar has him whipping his head around to see what’s happening.

Speaking of the dogs, they are my new favorite babysitters!  He thinks Indy is the funniest thing to ever live, and he cracks up at him whenever they are in a room together.  For some reason he doesn’t find Huey quite as funny, although his new accessory might change that…

Poor Huey boy had eye surgery yesterday to remove a tumor growing on his eyelid.  He’s doing well but he’ll be rocking the cone for the next few weeks.  My bank account aches.

Playing

One of the great improvements this month has been Cullen’s ability to play independently.  He’s so into reaching and grabbing things, that I can put him down and he will play for sometimes 30 minutes – long enough to eat, shower, or answer a few emails.

I’ve also hung some toys in his crib that he loves, and now when he wakes up, he stays in his crib for an extra while to play, while I continue to get things done until he lets me know he’s had enough.

Even though he’s just reaching five months, I really think crawling is just around the corner.  He scoots across the floor now, tucking his knees under and pulling himself forward with his arms.

While I’m very excited for him to crawl, I’m also savoring the last few days and weeks of being able to put him in one spot and know he will stay in that same general area.

Check out what I like to call “the worm”…

Five Month Rundown:

• Highchair:  Still need one (or other seat).  Any suggestions?
  • Solid Food:  Soon.  Any day now.
  • Stroller:  Love it!  We are running together now!
  • Car Seat:  Getting better.
  • Jumperoo:  Loves it for 15 minutes at a time.
  • Bottles:  Took ONE.  Hoping I can get him to do it again.
  • Teeth:  TWO – both bottom teeth are in!
  • Hair:  Getting long!  And finally filling in on top – hallelujah!
  • Weight:  16lbs 2oz at the last appointment, so probably close to 16.5 now!
  • Likes: Chewing, laughing at dogs, when dad comes home from work, soft blanket-dolls to sleep with.
  • Dislikes: Getting out of the bathtub, having his diaper changed, napping, wearing hats.

Thank you Cullen for five months of laughs, snuggles, and more fun than I ever could have imagined.

For more parenting posts, you can visit the parenting page.  Or check out the latest on Babble

Emily     at 9:23 pm

they say babies that sleep on their bellies crawl early so better get baby proofing ;) the twins are now just starting to scooch like cullen but they HATE their bellies because of their reflux haha we used to have that toy and our dog ate it! how are you keeping the dogs away from cullen’s toys? I leave anything on the floor and it’s gone! :-P

They aren’t brave enough to go after the toys in front of me, but occasionally I find them in strange places upstairs. :)

Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More     at 9:30 pm

He is so adorable! His little worm crawl, oh my! He’s on his way to be so mobile. Watch out! =)

Hotpotatokate     at 9:31 pm

Oh, I LOVE him! Reading your posts always makes me look forward to the future with my little dude :)

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma)     at 9:32 pm

Loved that video!

Poor Huey! Hope he’s doing well.

Hallie (@ChasingHallie)     at 9:34 pm

The scooting is so impressive. Our lil one is doing that as well but we have carpet…looks like the wood floor works better.

I also find myself spending more time trying to get M to nap than her actual naps-so frustrating!

He is adorable. Congrats on 5 months!

Lea @ Healthy Coconut     at 10:23 pm

The scoot move is so cute…he is so determined when reaching for his toy :)

Such a smiley baby, reminds me of my nephew

Marie     at 10:33 pm

I love that book and also read two others & took bits and pieces from each. We co-slept the first 5.5 months with our twins and then thy weren’t sleeping as well so we made the transition to their cribs and sleep-trained. 3 nights later, they were sleeping great during the day and nights. They are 4 now and still take one 2-hour nap still. We usually have to wake them up. Cullen looks so adorable. I love his gigantic smiles!

I think parents of twins must be superheros. :)

Marie Reply:

Haha, you wouldn’t think so if you saw us! They are four now and I still haven’t forgotten how challenging those first few months were. You are awesome, with all the things you still accomplish…working out, cooking, creating recipes. ;)

Maya     at 11:27 pm

Wow, awesome scooting! My little girl is 5 mos old today but she’s still working on it… she can push herself backwards a little bit, so sometimes she’ll inch slowly away from the toy she really wants on the floor. Haha. I love the Ikea Antilop high chair… super simple and cheap, very comfortable (my daughter loves sitting in it), and totally wipe-down-able… we’re planning to do baby-led weaning and I hear the Antilop is highly recommended, because it gets MESSY. Good luck and happy 5 mos to Cullen!!

Nine     at 11:37 pm

I feel you on the napping issue! Sounds exactly like what we went through with Tabitha – 90 minutes rocking to get her to sleep for half an hour! I read a book called “Bed-Timing”, which is just about when the best ages to try to make changes to sleep patterns are. There is supposed to be a “window” between 6-8 months when babies are more receptive to changes in sleeping habits, so that’s when we weaned her off the bouncing to sleep. Worked great. And once she started walking at 10 months, her nap length magically went to 90 minutes. Hopefully Cullen is planning the same thing!
As far as the high chair goes, I’ve heard good things about the ikea Antilop, and Ive got friends who swear by the Phil & Teds Lobster, that you fasten onto the table. Portable so you can take it everywhere too.

Emily     at 12:24 am

It’s so fun watching Cullen grow since he’s so close in age to my son! I think they are a couple weeks apart! We are having the same napping issue with Quinn. While he goes down pretty easily, he will wake up at 45 minutes on the dot EVERY time. AND we are still trying to ditch the swaddle. If you get this nap thing figured out, make sure to post about it! I’d love to hear what worked for you guys! Good luck!!

Elisabeth     at 12:39 am

What a cutie! He’s really growing up! I love that picture of him trying to get to his toy keys ;)

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count     at 3:00 am

Happy 5 Month Birthday, Cullen! You are cuter than ever. Love the teeth!

Bonnie     at 3:18 am

There is nothing wrong with starting him on Rice cereal. My kids always slept through the night once this began. It was glorious. :)

JenRD     at 3:28 am

Try reading “The Sleepeasy Solution” book–I have it downloaded on my kindle app on my iPad and it has some great tips in it! Step-by-step suggestions for eliminating nighttime eating and better naps. Good luck!

Kay Reply:

I was going to suggest the same book, I found it a lot easier to follow than Heathly Sleep…..it was like reading an cademic journal to me! Doesn’t go well with exhaustion.

I have to agree with you on the Healthy Sleep book. It is really technical and I find myself dozing off after 15 minutes or so of reading. It’s taking me forever to finish!

Becca     at 3:44 am

Cullen is so cute!! His smile is adorable :) Hopefully Huey feels better soon!!

katie@newmamamac     at 3:54 am

i read the same book and really loved it. we tried the sleep training at 5 months but did not really buckle down and make it happen consistently till 5 1/2 months. basically to eliminate that midnight feeding you just have to stop going in. we tried a few times to go in and soothe and give back pacifier, etc. but in the end he never really responded to that. we did that for a bout 2 weeks and like i said it didnt work so one day i just said i wasnt going to go in and i was going to let him cry. it was torturous but it worked. by the 3rd night he didnt cry at all and slept 630-6. hes been on that schedule for over 5 months now. its a dream! good luck, it is very hard to listen to your baby cry. you will be crying too!

Brittnie (A Joy Renewed)     at 4:26 am

His smile is just too cute for words. I love reading these updates as my first baby is due in May and you are a few steps ahead. A friend told me last week that w/ raising a newborn “the days go by slow but the months go by fast.” Is that true for you after having Cullen for 5months? All the best!

I love that! So true!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 4:37 am

Oh my gosh, he’s stinkin’ adorable! I love the worm scoot!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)     at 4:39 am

The worm crawl is too cute! My youngest did what we call the army crawl. I guess if there’s a will, there’s a way. Sounds like he and you two are doing well. I just looked at pictures of my oldest son from a year ago and the change is HUGE. Time flies when you’re having fun, right? Cullen is adorable Emily!

Jennifer Andrews     at 4:44 am

Aw Emily, love the pictures! Cullen’s expressions are truly priceless. Such a cutie!

Amelia     at 4:49 am

Thanks for sharing a video. Cullen is such a cutie!

And this comment is totally random, but you have the ‘mom’ voice (encouraging, soothing, etc.) :)

Haha thanks! :)

Anne     at 4:54 am

You are a cute family ! I like your simplicity/natural Emily !

Thanks Anne!

Runmarun     at 4:55 am

Emily- Cullen is so adorable! Congratulations on five months!! My daughter is nearing six months and it has been fun to compare their progress- Cullen is doing a lot that she has yet to master so clearly he is very advanced! :)
I have heard good things about the highchairs you can snap on to the edge of the table but we are not even close to that point yet…
Good luck with naps- do you ever do dream feeds? Those help my daughter sleep through the night- I just feed before I go to bed at 9:30 or 10…she wakes up enough to eat for 5-10 minutes and then falls asleep again…

Well he is also NOT doing things that other babies his age do – like sitting up – so don’t worry about your little one. He still flops over like a toad – no core muscles at all! They are all so different! :) I never had any luck with dream feeds bc he would either just sleep on the boob or do the total opposite and wake up too much.

Runmarun Reply:

That is such a bummer that he doesn’t take to the dream feeds- I hope that things get better for you soon, you are a trooper!

emily     at 4:55 am

The good news is, once he starts crawling he should nap longer! My 10.5 month old was a 30 min napper…now his morning nap is 1 to 2.5 hrs and a 45-1hr afternoon. Hallelujah. I bet the solids will help wuth his overnight too…i didnt start solids tik 6 months and thats when we started really getting no wakeups

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon     at 4:59 am

These pictures are all so adorable–what a happy little 5 month old you’ve got!

Lauren     at 5:15 am

I can’t believe he is 5 months! Gosh where did that 1/2 a year go! ;) More adorable than ever.

Leatitia @ The Sweetest Year     at 5:21 am

My baby is 9 months old and he’s still not getting up on his knees like Cullen is! He’s crawling, but only with his arms. Cullen is very advanced! Bravo little buddy, good job!

Yeah I can’t believe he’s started pulling his knees in like that! It’s funny, he seems very advanced as far as the crawling goes, but on the sitting up front he can’t do it at all! Flops over like a toad. :)

Katie KS     at 5:23 am

Teething really affects nursing at least for my kids. On again, off again. If we havve a really rough patch I will rub orajel on right before starting to nurse. We have a Graco high chair and I like it. And I think I mentioned on babble we go the ped recommended route on feeding. We are getting ready to start stage 2. As soon as he is crawling we will do finger foods :)

Erica     at 5:37 am

We have this highchair – http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Space-Saver-Chair-Scatterbug/dp/B005IWM99K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332419667&sr=8-1

it was recommended by a friend and it was on Young House Love, so although I haven’t used it yet (I’m pregnant and due tomorrow) I have heard great things about it. It’s a lot more affordable than other high chairs, and it’s good for my small townhouse. I didn’t want to try and store one of our dining room chairs somewhere and have another piece of furniture around!

Cullen is such a cutie! you are a lucky mom. I have been following your pregnancy and his baby updates religiously since I’ve been expecting and now that I’m due any day now, I’m re-reading a lot of them!

Eeeeek so exciting for you!! Good luck with the baby! :)

Nina     at 5:42 am

Poor baby Huey! Give him some snuggles from us <3

kristina     at 5:52 am

I love reading your updates! My daughter Teresa was born 3 weeks after Cullen so reading your updates is like looking a few weeks into the future. She’s getting her first 2 teeth as we speak! good luck with the solids…with my first, we waited until closer until 6 months. But T seems like she might be ready and she’s already so big…16lb4oz…yikes!

Sonja Tilley     at 5:55 am

Emily, I just LOVE your Cullen updates! He is just the cutest little thing. And thank you SO much for the video. Totally made my day. You guys are such great parents…it really shines through anytime I see a glimpse of Cullen.

Thank you so much. :)

Cate     at 5:59 am

He is so cute! I can’t believe how close he is to crawling!
Ellie had exactly the same sleep schedule until she started eating more solid food…now she sleeps through the night pretty consistently (although occasionally she wakes up once and I go in to give her a pacifier, which puts her right back to sleep).

I’m so excited to see what you end up doing for food. We have done a little baby-led weaning stuff (small pieces of banana, chunks of carrot), but she also loves purees.

I’m hoping the solids make a difference for us too!

greenbean     at 6:01 am

dang! now I want one!

Sana     at 6:02 am

Cullen looks like a little man, I love it!

Adrianne     at 6:13 am

Gah, every time I read an update, I am struck by how similar our babies are! My little girl is 6.5 months, but everything you write sounds JUST like her! Same sleep regression at 4 months, same two bottom teeth at the same time, same belly sleeping, same nap battles, etc, etc, etc! If Cullen follows Annabel’s lead, he should be dropping that mid-night feeding any day now and will LOVE solids and gobble them down. Naps are getting better because now sometimes she’ll sleep for 2-3 hours!

I’ll be anxious to read about your adventures in baby feeding in the coming weeks!

Glad to hear it! Hope the sleeping through the night comes next. :)

Kathy     at 6:17 am

Cullen has the most adorable expression when he laughs. He just seems like such a happy contented baby. Yea, I know he also has his days, but look at that adorable face. So precious. He laughs with all he has.

Fran     at 6:25 am

Cullen is adorable! Isn’t it amazing how quick they become little people! How is the jogging stroller working out?

Sleeping Through the Night by Jodi Mindell, was my go to sleep book! I have no room to talk now…Lucia’s transition to a big girl bed about 6 months ago has required me to lay with her for “a little bit” until she falls asleep. I enable her and this bad habit because being almost 5 months pregnant, I don’t have the energy to fight the battle! And I need a 15 minute cat-nap by that time of night. Then I remind myself that I will never get this time back and she won’t want me to lay with her forever :)

I made all of Lucia’s purees. I loved it! It was easy and much cheaper than buying jarred food. Every weekend, I’d whip up one vegetable or fruit to stick in some ice cube trays. Good luck!

Leah Reply:

agreed and also the farmer’s market and pick your own is great to do this with summer fruits when in season. :)

LOVE the jogging stroller, although it is so heavy to push! Definitely quite the workout. :)

I think you deserve your 15-minute nap each night.

Rachel G.     at 6:32 am

He is so stinkin’ cute! I love when you post about him–more please!

Alex @ Raw Recovery     at 6:36 am

Love the video! So adorable. You can see how hard he is trying and that he is really working his muscles! :) Happy five months, Cullen!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Pepper     at 6:40 am

Ahhh he’s so cute and getting so big! I love the video!

Bethany @ One Girl's Taste On Life     at 6:40 am

OMG adorable! Love the videos! I try and make videos of my little Jacob every week or so and put them on YouTube for my family, who is spread out all over the country. I love seeing Cullen’s milestones because Jacob is only a couple months behind him. Love it!

I have a separate website of pics and videos for our family and friends – they all love it too. :) Makes being so far away a little easier!

Bethany @ One Girl's Taste On Life Reply:

I agree. I love seeing all the pics and videos of Cullen, so I can’t imagine how your family and friends must feel! I think it’s a great treat
that we have the ability to share with people so far away. My mom is in
love with Skype. :)

Amanda     at 6:42 am

Our little ones sounds so alike when it comes to sleep! Our little one wakes up at 2 am and 5 am as well and takes three 30 minute naps a day. I, too am reading Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child and it has helped us so much thus far! Cullen is so adorable! I have loved following your blog:)

Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life)     at 6:52 am

Can’t wait to hear what you do with solids. We just started BLW and it’s a lot of (messy) fun! I wish H liked tummy time like Cullen, but she hates it. She’ll flip herself over every time I put her on her tummy. Oh well. I guess they all grow uniquely. Cullen is adorable, as always!

It’s so funny how different they all are. Now he will ONLY be on his tummy. If I put him on his back he rolls over immediately. :)

Melissa @ HerGreenLife     at 6:53 am

Totally sounds like you could be describing my little guy (now 8 months). Similar sleep — nights pretty good, daytime sleep sucks.

And also the army crawl, which he started around 6 months. It’s actually still all he does, and I wonder if he might be walking before he does a “real” crawl.

Anyway, I’m way overdue on a baby update post of my own — the time does fly!

Marie     at 6:59 am

Love the Cullen monthly updates as our baby girl is just five weeks behind him. I like to know what is coming next. He is adorable. I would check out the highchair by Joovy. It seems like your style — it was designed by moms. They know best!

Rachelle     at 7:19 am

Exclusive breastfeeding is recommended for at least the first six months of life – so be sure not to introduce solids before then! Babies can also be breastfed up to 2 years and beyond.

Leah Reply:

When I see someone breastfeeding a toddler (2) it’s really quite odd. Full set of teeth and a child that heavy? No thanks.

Shannon Bell Reply:

Keep in mind that studies show that children self wean on average (world wide) between ages of 3-4, something that we’re just not as familiar with, but is so purely natural and normal. Teeth and weight have nothin’ to do with it!

Leah Reply:

Yeah, but in the States employment situations often do not make it easy. I travel a lot for work and that would make pumping and freezing milk very difficult. Plus, as Emily stated she wants to have another Baby if she can. I know breastfeeding is natural and normal but for women in this country–versus France where you get a Nanny paid for by the government for ONE YEAR that cooks and cleans and does laundry (and you get your full pay to stay home with the baby).

Rachelle Reply:

The fact that you think that is odd is the exact reason why so many mothers face barriers to breastfeeding. They are inherently embarrassed because of these types of attitudes.

Leah Reply:

I actually have a very healthy attitude regarding breast feeding. My mom taught Child Development for 34 years. I’m just saying that most of my female friends nurse for 1-1.5 years. They do not nurse to 2. Mostly it is because of logistics (work travel, lack of a comfortable space to pump–I know it’s the law for an employer to provide a space, but my employer provides a closet that does not lock).

We plan to BF for at least a year, but we’ll see how it goes after that. I’d also like to have another baby sooner than later (god-willing), so if I’m not ovulating I’ll likely stop in order to make that a possibility.

Sarah     at 7:36 am

He is so adorable how do you stand it!!

Rachel @ The Peach and The Pit     at 7:36 am

he is simply adorable! how fast time flies…I feel like I was just watching your updates on Twitter from the hospital!

Heidi from BundlesofHugs     at 7:43 am

Oh my goodness what determination he has to get to those beads, I can tell he’s going to be interesting in everything! Enjoy this time mom :) My son naturally stopped waking up for that midnight-1am feeding around 6 months. It was a blessing let me tell you!

Jen     at 7:54 am

Ahh LOOK at him go. So awesome! Wyatt can no longer eat in the same room as Nati. Even hearing his nails on the floor is the biggest distraction!

YES! Their clinky dog collars drive me insane. And now Huey is banging into everything with the damn cone, haha.

Leanne Reply:

When my Mother-in-Law used to “grand-dog” sit for us she would put a piece of scotch tape around their tags so that they wouldn’t clink together and wake her up.

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables     at 7:55 am

oh my gosshhhh I love these posts and how well your adorable pictures illustrate your words with him. That video is SO cute and I am sure he will be crawling soon, he seems so smart!!

Linda     at 8:10 am

Emily, thank you for this…. Will (5 days older than Cullen) has 20 min naps and I was certain that was super odd.. I feel much better now.

I feel your pain, Linda! Those eyes pop right open like clockwork – so frustrating!

Samantha     at 8:59 am

Poor puppy!

I hear you on vet/pet bills and the bank account!

Ellie @ healthy belly ellie     at 9:03 am

So adorable he is!

Kelly     at 9:04 am

When I was reading your 5 momth recap at the bottom of this post, it made me realize that your blog is Cullen’s baby book! Remember when we were little, our moms were given baby books as presants to enter where the baby is at in certains stages of their lives. I’m not a mom, so don’t know if this is still done but you could just save your blog posts and there is yours! Cool beans!

Haha yes, totally! I actually have a separate blog just for family and friends where I post a picture of him each day, and a lot of family videos. :) Hopefully he’ll enjoy looking back at both of them someday!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats     at 9:05 am

I can’t believe it’s been 5 months! He looks so much more like a little person with a personality, and I love the worm movement! He’ll be all over the place soon

Jamie     at 9:09 am

Oh my goodness, he is so cute! I keep going back and forth on whether or not I want to have another one but looking at your pictures always makes me hear that clock tick.

DO IT!

Meg     at 9:28 am

Emily I hope my baby is as cute as yours someday :)

Love your blog! Please come check my new one out!

xoxo
Meg

Aw haha, thanks!

Renee     at 9:42 am

Oh my gosh! What a cutie! I am currently 27 weeks preggnant and so looking forward to having my baby! I love reading your blog and following you on twitter! You are amazing inspiration!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing     at 9:45 am

He’s so big!! And he actually looks like a little person now… I love the expressions on his face.

Lara     at 10:10 am

Oh so sweet! We found out yesterday that we are having a BOY too! <3

Omg congrats! Clearly I am biased, but I think boys are so much fun!

Dee     at 10:21 am

So precious!

Sherlock     at 10:22 am

He sounds like he’s teething. Trust me he is getting plenty to eat with your breast milk. Don’t fall into that booby trap that he isn’t because of the fussiness. If you’re interested in learning more about breastfeeding look into Kellymom.com and especially Best For Babes. They’ll give you fantastic advice and support. By the way, the AAP has recommended at least one year of breastfeeding.
Why do you want to eliminate the late night feed? If you were co-sleeping all you’d have to do is roll over and be done with it :) I know..some people find sleeping with their babes easier for breastfeeding. I understand not everyone wants to do that though.

Leah Reply:

I think she’s going to do food and breastmilk. Most Moms do that. And also, the little bit of cereal often helps them sleep through the night.

Exactly! No plans to stop breastfeeding. Just getting ready to start solids, on the advice of our ped.

I have read a lot of Kelly Mom, especially in the early days. :) I am definitely planning to BF for at least a year – the solids are just meant to be more exploratory and experiential at this point.

Leah     at 10:42 am

Have you read ‘Bringing up Bebe’? It’s on the bestseller list and you can get it for your Nook (or Kindle). http://amzn.com/1594203334

I heard the author on Morning Living (do you ever listen to that–I know you have satellite radio). I would suggest that for some sleep tips for the baby and just some other great ideas as well.

April Reply:

I am reading this book now, love it!!! I have an “almost” 5-month old and this book is very enlightening…crazy the difference this woman saw in the behaviour of French children vs. American children, makes ya think:=

I am planning on reading this as well! Very interesting. I read the NYT article about it and added it to my list. :)

Brittany     at 10:50 am

So wonderful, Emily!

Kristen @ Change of Pace     at 11:14 am

Look at all his hair! I rocked my daughter to sleep until she was 2. I didn’t even care that it was a bad habit haha. My son is 18 months old and we sort of did the cry it out method. I let him cry for 10 minute stretches. Honestly, he still sometimes cries when I put him to bed. By the time you get it figured out he’ll be doing something different for you to figure out! It always seems that way with mine :)

Kristen @ Change of Pace     at 11:22 am

Oh! Both of my kids have the fisher price space saver high chairs. We just don’t have room for a big bulky highchair. I love the fact that it just straps to our dining room chairs. They love that they get to sit at the table with us.

Ashley @ Hudson on the Potomac     at 11:36 am

Oh my goodness, I just cannot take how cute he is! I can’t believe he’ll be crawling soon! Cullen updates are my favorite!

Kristen M     at 11:44 am

If you are looking for a good space saving highchair I’d look into the Joovy Nook: http://amzn.to/GGQgyX. My little guy isn’t eating in it yet so I can’t speak to how easy it is to clean but it is super easy to fold down/open up.

Love the Cullen updates! Thanks for sharing.

Amber K     at 11:46 am

I didn’t think it was possible but he gets cuter every day! He’s getting so close to crawling, definitely time for babyproofing.

Colleen     at 12:21 pm

Cullen is looking great. Can’t believe he is 5 months…where does time go? Hope Huey has a spendy recovery. If I could suggest, I would try rice cereal at night to keep him fuller longer. When I breastfed my oldest, I would pump a little milk and mix it with the cereal. Then I would feed the cereal to him then finish the meal with the boobs.

Suzanne     at 12:25 pm

He is just way too cute. I love the worm. He’s certainly very determined. :)

Regarding his naps, he may be going down for his first one too late. We had an issue with short naps for a while and it was because there was too long of an awake time between waking up and his first nap. Or he may be at the point where he only needs two naps, in which case it should be mid-morning and then early afternoon. Either way, he definitely needs longer naps, 30 minutes isn’t enough. He should be napping a total of about four hours. Not napping enough could be impacting his nighttime sleep as well.

I have a friend who is a sleep expert, she really helped me with my kids. I can get her input if you want, just send me an email at thoozie(at)gmail.com.

Yeah I’m hoping we can get down to two longer naps soon. Working on it! :)

Emily McIntyre     at 12:28 pm

Oh, what a lovely child and such a vibrant personality! It’s so much fun to watch Cullen grow; my seven-week-old seems similar in some ways.

Sounds like you’re doing really well!

Tae     at 12:37 pm

Love your blog! Cullen is adorable. I love reading his updates and hearing about the tips and tricks you have found useful. My son is almost 6 weeks and you have been a great resource for me! Hope your pup feels better soon!

Congrats to you and your little guy! :)

Brooke     at 1:05 pm

Too cute Emily! Cullen is so photogenic. My little guy is almost three months and I look forward to him advancing more to the real little person stage – mostly for his 2 1/2 year old sister’s benefit as she wants someone to PLAY with! For me, it’s bittersweet, as Will is our last baby so I have to enjoy every baby moment!

For a high chair – especially if you have limited space – I can’t recommend enough the Fisher Price high chairs that affix to your chair. They are about $54.99 on Amazon and they are WONDERFUL. So great for saving space and they recline to three different positions. Love them!

I will check that one out – thank you!

Ky G     at 1:17 pm

Awwwwww Emily “the worm” is awesome! Love it!

My little guy is 6 weeks now and I love reading the Cullen updates and happenings, it gives me an idea of what’s in store.

His 2 teeth are adorable ;-)

How has he been dealing with teething since your suspicion of teeth?

The first tooth was horrible. The second kind of just showed up one day – not nearly as bad. Teething tablets and lots of teethers have helped!

Aimee     at 1:23 pm

Ah, solid food- tough decision. I’ve started each child later. First baby=4 months on the nose; then closer to six months for others. Sixth baby=closer to 9 or 10 months. With him, he basically just ate slightly mushy versions of what we ate. That was so much better, and best yet, my breast milk supply stayed high as long as he wanted to nurse. (With my first few, my supply dwindled once I got them sleeping through the night and on solids.) That being said, first babies always do things earlier. It’s so hard to wait! He looks like he’s doing fantastic.

SIX BABIES!!! :)

Tiffany     at 1:31 pm

I love it! I love baby updates. I was totally cheering Cullen on while watching the video. So adorable!

crystal     at 1:54 pm

No Cry Sleep Solution is awesome. Have you tried blackout curtains too? I just bought a pair for my 3.5 year old’s room b/c a friend swears by them and I’d like her to nap more than an hour. Other than that I have no advice b/c we cosleep until at least 1 here b/c I am super lazy and would rather just pass out while they nurse to sleep. My oldest goes to sleep just fine on her own despite that (unless it’s storming) and my little is getting there so even if you do keep up “bad habits” (which I would argue that they’re bad if it’s working for everyone) it will get better and not scar them for life lol.

Yep, we have blackout shades too! His room is pretty dark when I go in, so I think he’s waking up for other reasons, but who knows. I’m too scared to co-sleep! I love the idea of it, but I don’t trust myself. I’m so tired these days that I’d be worried I’d roll over on him.

Brooklyn @ Veggie Table     at 2:56 pm

Ohmygosh – Cullen is so cute in the video! He looks like mini-Superman when he lifts his arms out…like he is expecting to fly right over to the toy! Happy 5 months!

Jolene (Homespun Heritage)     at 2:57 pm

He’s so cute! As for to feed soon or not…?

My oldest wouldn’t even consider food until at least 7 months and by the time she was 9 or 10 months she was eating table food…stellar eater. My littlest didn’t really start to eat solids until somewhere between 12-18 months. She still struggles with certain foods at over 2.

So, each baby is different and honestly I felt much better with NOT pressuring my child and letting her show me when she was ready. When they were trying to eat my food (not begging for a bite but actually trying to feed themselves) I would introduce the solids. Delaying solids is a winner in my book!

We’re going on child #7 in the fall.

SEVEN! Wow – congrats! :)

Becky     at 3:39 pm

I highly recommend the book, ‘Child of Mine, Feeding with love and good sense’ by Ellen Satter…she is an RD and a Family Therapist. I don’t even have a baby and I loved this book. I use her techiniques with my neices.

Kimberly C     at 3:41 pm

Hey Emily, I’ve been reading your blog since about month before you gave birth. I am a nursing student and now in my Obstetric rotation in clinical. I’ve been able to apply what I’m learning to what I’ve read in your experience. Thanks for that. Your baby is beautiful and I’m very impressed with how you have been caring for him. Happy 5 month birthday Cullen!

Thanks so much, Kimberly!

Alyson     at 4:24 pm

I just adore 5 months old! They have developed a personality and they know so much about what is going on around them. And they are beginning to sit (either alone or in a sitting assistant pillow or chair) so well, and it makes them so happy to do so. BUT! They still stay in place, they don’t always need toys and food in their hands as they will in a few months, and they’re still pretty undemanding. Still so tiny and loveable, but all the really difficult parts of newbornism are over; but none of the difficult parts of toddlerism have begun. Such a wonderful time!

Yes! Such a great age. ;)

Mary Ellen     at 4:26 pm

Emily, I have 3 “babies”, all boys. They are 23, 20 and 14!! Cullen will be needing you for such a short time, there’s really no need to rush getting rid of the middle of the night nursing. I know getting up is hard, but in the grand scheme of things, it’s very very brief in your/his lifetime. There will be a day when you long for the alone time. I nursed baby #3 till he was 2.5, and when he no longer needed me in the middle of the night (about 9 months), I was heartbroken. All of my boys are happy, and well adjusted. I have one college graduate, one at the US Naval Academy and one in middle school. Not a one of them calls for me in the night!! ;) All are/were straight A students. Don’t let anyone tell you it’s not good for Cullen to get up and nurse in the night. You are 100% love and comfort for him.

Kat     at 5:57 pm

he is adorable – Peanut really started to become this little person around this age. I couldn’t get enough!

Claire     at 6:03 pm

Cullen is so cute!! My six month old sounds very similar in the nap department. Sometimes we go through days where he does only 30 minute naps, too! I wear him to sleep in the Ergo because he is at work with me, which works ok. And we love our highchair–the Keekaroo–we bought it on Amazon and love that it will eventually turn into a regular chair for him. I love that we can get more use out of it.

Katie     at 6:33 pm

Emily,

A couple things, my daughter is four months and has started sleeping better at night but naps have been shorter. We used to wake her from her naps she would sleep so long! I wonder if sleeping better at night leds to less day naps?? I don’t know. I also read babies around 6-8 months begin to nap longer! Hopefully that is true for you! I think before 6 months their naps are still irregular. I know night feedings are so hard (I’m in the same boat) but my lactation consultant reminded me how good they are b/c they prevent babies from getting into too deep of sleep (SIDS). Also, I heard its so common at this age for babies to begin getting distracted when nursing (my daughter just started this). Lastly, I got the space saver high chair(I have yet to use it but i hear good things). Please post about baby led vs. pureed and what you decide I am so curious!

Maile     at 7:09 pm

Cute! What a sweet post on Cullen.

Poor Huey Boy…cones are no fun!

Leanne     at 2:01 am

We have the Graco Contempo high chair and it has been the best! It folds flat to store (plus no assembly required out of the box). The seat moves up and down to suit any height that you need. It also reclines somewhat which is a feature that we really didn’t use. It also came with 2 covers which was an added plus. It is an awesome chair and has held up well. My daughter is 3 years old and we really just stopped using it a short time ago.

Sarah     at 4:10 am

You are such a great parent. It’s so fun to read your blog! I can tell you put a lot of work into it and I love your photography and recipes. I’m definitely NOT a parent, but from my own childcare experience (nannying for 3 years for different families) it sounds like Cullen might be getting ready to switch to a longer nap instead of the mini naps. This will make him more tired for that nap so that he will sleep easier and longer (and it will also delay bed time a little bit.) I nannied for a baby who started HATED her mini naps around 6 months. She would do exactly what you’re experiencing (have a hard time being soothed, cry for a long time and sleep for a short time.) Her parents were doing the Babywise method and wanted to keep her on her schedule, but she really didn’t want to be on it. They ended up switching her to one long midday nap, and this was the best solution for her. Otherwise, have you tried doing a dream feeding at night before you go to bed to keep him hungry a little longer? Either way, you’re doing a great job!!

Elizabeth     at 8:02 am

My little guy is a few weeks behind yours. A friend recommended Super Baby Food (a book) as a guide for introducing foods if you go the non-baby led weaning route. Lots of tips on balancing their diet and making your own purées, cereal, yogurt etc.

Good luck with the sleep. I have the most luck extending naps in the swing after he wakes up in the crib. “no cry sleep solution” recommends fort short mappers that you go in and soothe just before they wake up to help them through that light sleep stage into another sleep cycle. So if we wakes at 30min. Be watching your monitor and go at 25minutes at the first sign of stirring. Something to try anyway and I can sometimes get my son back down this way. I find he goes down fastest for his first nap of the day and best for all naps if I’m really attending to sleep cues . His nighttime sleep is still a mess so I can’t offer much!

Elizabeth     at 8:07 am

Ps
I have the same chicco carseat and my son has struggled in the car. Getting rid of the infant insert padding and moving the shoulder straps helped some. He can seat out better now and pull toys on the bar. When all else fails, white noise is my best solution. I play an app through my car stereo

Becky @ Taste Chaser     at 9:39 am

I know exactly what you mean about the bank account aching after dog surgery. My poor Chula baby just had a tumor removed as well and we’re both in pain after that mondo bill!

Sarah     at 10:35 am

Omg he’s so cute!

Karen     at 11:57 am

Omg he is sooooooooooooooooooo cute!!!!!
Thanks for sharing the video & pictures… those first 2 pictures of his huge smile make him look like a big boy! Adorable!!

Lisa     at 1:20 am

I love the book Healthy Sleep Habits! So good!

Poor Huey! Do you have pet insurance? We do and I have mixed feelings about it, but if you do maybe you could get reimbursed for some of the surgery?

Lorraine     at 10:59 am

I have so enjoyed following your journey with Cullen. A couple of suggestions (I have twin 9 month old girls and just found out I’m pregnant with #3)…

We used Moms On Call (http://momsoncall.com/) method for schedules/sleeping and it’s worked great for us. They’ve both been sleeping through the night since about 8 weeks (9:30-7) and since about 4 months sleep regularly from 8-7. Moms on Call is local to us, so we actually got to have in home visit from one of the founders, but they also have books and online seminars. Although we did have to supplement pretty heavily with formula from the beginning so I believe that also played a part in keeping them full for longer.

We love the Chicco Hook on Chairs instead of high chairs in our small kitchen (http://www.amazon.com/Chicco-Degree-Rotating-Hook-Chair/dp/B002GD4H6M/ref=sr_1_2?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1332870713&sr=1-2). They work with almost any table and rotate – makes feeding so much easier. They also are easily removed if we have guests for dinner and fold up and can be stored away. I think it holds up to 35 pounds or so.

We also have these Chicco Hook On chairs (http://www.amazon.com/Chicco-Caddy-Hook-Chair-Red/dp/B000A7V1EM/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1332870839&sr=1-1) that we leave in our cars for when we travel to family/friends or to use at restaurants – we’ve experiences times when 2 high chairs weren’t available and that was definitely not fun. They fold up nicely,with a carrying case and are not too difficult to assemble.

And finally, our experience with feeding varied greatly. Since we were using formula more than I wanted, I was so excited to introduce solids. One daughter loved them from the beginning, the other took about 3 months to really enjoy eating – and she’s now our better eater. It has been fun to introduce them to so many foods.

Best of luck!

Amateur Mommy     at 4:55 am

I wouldn’t worry too much about rocking. I know all the sleep experts say it’s a bad habit, but the rocking days will fly by and he will learn eventually to go to sleep on his own. My daughter has just started laying down and falling asleep on her own at 16 mo. My family thinks I’m nuts, but it’s been really hard for me! I understand now why people say it goes so fast. Snuggle your baby while you can.

Lara     at 7:23 pm

I love going back and reading your updates when Graham reaches that milestone! I love Cullen’s worm. G isn’t doing that yet, but I think we’re getting close.

We are still REALLY struggling with sleep. Like, sleeping for two hours is good. Did you have Cullen on any sort of feeding schedule, or did he naturally find a rhythm? Did you do the EASY routine, or would you nurse before sleep? Sorry for the questions…I need a little guidance that doesn’t involve letting him cry.