Easter Weekend.

I had been looking forward to this weekend for months!  Friday morning I was off to the airport to pick up my best friend, in town visiting from Cincinnati.  Unfortunately, Thursday night I had started showing symptoms of mastitis, and by Friday it was really kicking into gear.  So there are no pictures from the first half of our weekend, because it involved about 16 hours of what felt like the worst flu I’d ever had.

Luckily, by Saturday afternoon I was feeling better and ready to casually enjoy some sunshine (nothing too strenuous!).  My midwives had instructed me to treat myself as if I had the flu, and adjust our plans accordingly.  I thought vegan donuts sounded pretty relaxing.

2012-04-08_09.52.31 (640x480)

Followed by a lovely girls outing for pedicures.  Mine was long overdue – hadn’t had one since last summer (scary!).  Casey watched Cullen while Lindsey and I relaxed at the salon, and it was exactly what I needed.  I felt so rested and pampered afterwards!

2012-04-08_12.14.16 (640x480)

We ate a lot of fabulous food from places like Chaco Canyon, Revel, and Anita’s Crepes, but I decided to just enjoy it rather than lug along my camera.  I assure you it was all delicious.

On Easter morning, I woke up feeling almost like my old self again.  Even though we didn’t make much of a big deal of it, it was still fun to celebrate Cullen’s first Easter!

He will have to wait until next year to hunt for eggs and dig through a basket.  Bunny ears were exciting enough for him this year.  :)

IMG_0686 (427x640) (2)

We went to Greenlake and walked a bit while Casey ran, and then we parked it on a blanket in the sun while Casey continued to loop, loop, loop (seven loops total, and 21+ miles!).  We provided cheers and Gatorade, and Cullen enjoyed rolling around in the sunshine.

2012-04-08_12.13.50 (640x480)

It was a perfect Seattle weekend, with highs in the 70’s, mountains everywhere you looked, and sunny skies all weekend long.

2012-04-08_11.38.47 (640x480)

It is always nice to have great weather, but it’s even better when you have great friends in town to share it with!

After Casey’s long run (I skipped mine because of the mastitis), we headed home for a bit and then out and about in Fremont.  We strolled through the farmers market…

Where Casey picked up this delicious vegan Indian plate for lunch.  YUM!  Well deserved after a crazy-long run.

We all sat and talked and watched the boats sail by on the canal.

Baby in the sunshine.

I love getting him outside as much as I possibly can.  I hope he learns to love it as much as I do.

Family Easter photo!

Our Easter dinner was probably not considered traditional holiday food, but it was tasty and that’s all that really mattered.

Sushi rice with blackened tofu, roasted sweet potatoes, charred broccoli, and crimini mushrooms.  All with a dash of soy sauce!

A happy Easter, indeed.

Hope you had a wonderful weekend as well!

Jane     at 8:58 pm

OMG you seriously eat a lot of tofu!

You think so? We probably eat it 2-3 times a week, and split a block.

Tofu Mom (Marti) Reply:

Really? I don’t think this is “a lot” by ANY means. Try living in an Asian country for a few months. You quickly realize we Americans barely brush the surface in tofu consumption.

Leah Reply:

Agreed!

crystal     at 8:58 pm

Mastitis is awful. I’m glad you’re feeling better.

Carrie     at 9:11 pm

Looks like an awesome Easter dinner to me! Glad you are feeling better!

Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats     at 9:21 pm

Take it easy and take care of yourself!

And man I need to try a Mighty-O doughnut and get over to Fremont market!

Cullen is adorable! Loved the ears.

Jane     at 9:29 pm

Sorry Marti but I actually I have lived in Asia and I have many Asian friends and no they dont eat that much, also my Naturopath has advised against eating it and having it on the odd occasion.

Jane     at 9:30 pm

Curious Emily did you eat that much while you were pregnant? no judgment just wanted to know if there were any adverse effects?

Raia Reply:

Adverse effects? Of eating Tofu? I’m sorry. The girl doesn’t drink alcohol, eats an incredibly healthy diet, runs…and you think that eating Tofu is going to adversely effect her? My dad is an oncologist who also happened to do cancer research during much of his career. He won’t let me go through the x-ray machines at the airport, but tofu he has no problem with. Coming from someone who spent over 40 years curing cancer and studying disease process, he doesn’t mind if I eat tofu a couple times a week. It is certainly better than red meat and most of the crap that Americans eat.

Raia Reply:

Also adverse effects to her pregnancy? Yes, obviously she has an adorable, healthy baby who seems happy and well adjusted.

Jules Reply:

Tofu was one of my son’s favorite foods when he was a baby! His first protein (besides my milk, of course). I used to cut it into little cubes.
Too much soy is really only a problem if you have a thyroid condition. I’m not sure if it’s the medicine used to treat it, or the condition itself, but too much soy (tofu, soy milk) can throw it off. For anyone else, it’s a great source of protein. Here’s a link to a tofu dish my kids ask for: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/tofu-steaks-shiitakes-veggies-50400000117844/

Leah Reply:

Great reply!!!

Sarah G Reply:

How do you manage to not go through the x-ray machines at airports?

Raia Reply:

I get a pat down every time. You can opt out of the x-ray. I go through the metal detector though.

R Reply:

I don’t think Jane was being judgmental, just curious. There are a lot of conflicting reports out there about soy. Some studies specifically address adverse effects of soy during pregnancy – no harm in asking Emily if she’s noticed any herself! I personally like tofu and am not worried about eating it, but I wouldn’t mind if someone asked me about it one way or the other…

Jane, I’ve been eating tofu for years and have had no adverse affects. I had a very healthy pregnancy, and a very healthy baby who is excelling through all his milestones and age expectations. People are eating a lot worse things than tofu.

Tamae Reply:

Uhh.. I’m Asian and my friends & I eat tofu all the time lol. Same goes for Asian soy products like natto- just had to comment since everyone keeps at it with this soy thing!

Love your blog Emily! My daughter is almost 2weeks older than Cullen & I love reading your stories :]

Thanks Tamae!

Carrie     at 9:43 pm

Your dinner looks delish! Happy to see you have figured out the tricks of Seattle living: when it is sunny, go outside!!!

Ashley     at 9:49 pm

That meal looks like perfection to me!! Cullen looks way too cute with the ears. Glad you’re feeling better!

Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More     at 10:23 pm

Hope you feel better soon!!

The bunny ears photo is adorable!

Mastitis doesn’t sound like fun at all. I’m glad you were still able to have a fun Easter though. I love roasted veggies!

Michelle@PeachyPalate     at 11:36 pm

Dinner looks incredible. Sounds and looks like you had a lovely weekend (loving the pink nails :) )

Peta     at 1:29 am

In the grand scheme of what people eat, i imagine tofu is fairly low on the list of possible sins.

Elisabeth     at 1:47 am

The bunny ears look so cute on Cullen (especially with the big grin!).

Cait's Plate     at 3:43 am

So sorry to hear you were dealing with mastis – my friend went through that too and said it was just miserable. Glad to see you were able to make the best of things though and have a wonderful Easter anyway!!

Simply Life     at 4:04 am

LOVE those bunny ears!!! :)

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon     at 4:46 am

Those pictures of Cullen in the bunny ears, like EVERY picture of Cullen, are absolutely adorable!!!!!!

SaraRM Reply:

AGREED! He is such a precious boy!

Tricia     at 4:49 am

Ugggg Mastitis is the WORST!!!!! I’m glad you’re feeling better!!!

Kelly@Runmarun     at 4:51 am

I am sorry to hear about your mastitis and am glad you were able to recover a bit while your friend was still in town. The weather looked wonderful and Cullen- too cute in those bunny ears! Hope you are back to your old self!!

Tamicka     at 5:42 am

Wow you have got to get that picture of Cullen in the bunny ears framed. It is positively adorable!

Jen     at 5:42 am

So sorry about the mastitis. :-( I had a truly awful bout of it with my first and got it AGAIN with my second. It is miserable, for sure.

Also, your pics make me want to try tofu. I’ve never had it!

Stefanie     at 6:12 am

I’m so sorry you had mastitis. I just had it for the first time with my third baby, and I have never been that sick before!
I love the pics of Cullen in the bunny ears!

Cate     at 6:24 am

Ugh mastitis is miserable :(
LOVE Cullen’s bunny ears!

Leah     at 6:24 am

Aww, I was glad to come in this morning into the office and see an Easter post from you. :) I like to read DG while I eat my breakfast each work day.

emily     at 6:25 am

I’m glad you’re feeling better. Mastitis scares the bejeezus out of me. I had a blocked duct a few months back and it was awful – thank goodness it never turned into anything more.

Alex @ Raw Recovery     at 6:34 am

They actually have easter eggs now that talk to little kids. You hide them and they say “over here” and “come find me” so it helps kids learn where to look when they are just learning how to hunt for easter eggs. They are pretty cool.

Alex @ Raw Recovery Reply:

Oh and I hope that you feel better soon!

Leatitia @ The Sweetest Year     at 6:46 am

I didn’t know we could get mastitis past the first few weeks of breastfeeding! I’ll be on the look out!

I have itchy red spots below my (tmi!) nipple on my left breast, do you know what it could be? It itches like crazy! Lotion helps a bit, but it keeps coming back. Do you think it could be eczema? My next doctor appointment is not for another 3 months.

I know thrush can cause itchiness, but I am clearly not a doctor. I would ask your OB or dermatologist to take a look, just to be safe! I know pregnancy/hormones can cause a lot of skin changes, so it could be something as simple as eczema.

Emily McIntyre     at 7:18 am

I’m sorry you had a bout with mastitis this weekend; I did, about three weeks ago, and don’t think I’ve ever felt so sick with the flu! It was awful. Glad you’re feeling better.

Heidi from BundlesofHugs     at 7:51 am

That donut and coffee looks divine! I’m jealous as I sit here and browse your post ugh. Cullen is adorable in those bunny ears, next year will be so fun when he can pick up those eggs. Food looks fab as always. Good to hear your feeling better the flu is not fun!

Jessica     at 8:20 am

Does anyone else feel like it is Groundhog’s Day with the number of times Emily is asked about her tofu intake? BTW I made that tofu recipe last week and it was AWESOME.
Cutest.baby.ever.

Samantha Reply:

LOL. Yes, it is actually on my groan list. :)

Mine too. :)

Glad you liked it! This was a much needed laugh. :)

Samantha Reply:

April Reply:

I am making it tonight, can’t wait!!!!!

guarderias salamanca     at 8:32 am

Just see the donuts I m hungry again.
And who is that little rabit, so cute. ;)

Jules     at 8:37 am

Ouch with the mastitis! I suffered from it many times, and found out my sport bra wasn’t helping. Because it pressed my chest so tightly, plus I was sweating in it so much…Can’t do much about the pressing, that’s just the bra doing its job, but changing it IMMEDIATELY after running cut down on the number of incidents. I hope you feel better soon!

Dana     at 8:39 am

Emily, how do you roast your sweet potatoes? I’ve been looking for healthy ways to prepare them other than baking!

These were just sliced and then drizzled with oil and salt, and roasted at 375 for about 25 minutes. So delicious!

SkinnyRunner     at 9:02 am

dang casey killed the long run!

and the bunny ears are just too adorable.

Ky G     at 9:12 am

Emily glad to know you’re feeling better!!!

Question…where did you find Cullen’s hat?

Baby Gap!

Alicia @culinarybliss     at 9:49 am

After I got mastitis, I said I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy. I can’t remember feeling so sick. The best thing is to catch is early and try to figure out why you got it. When I did, it was because I’d changed my pumping schedule. Do you have any idea why? The lactation consultant I saw encouraged me to be sure both breasts got fully emptied so there wasn’t’ any leftover milk.
The nice thing is that it goes away as quickly as it comes on, and you’ll catch it even sooner if it happens again. Glad to hear you’re feeling better (and you need to push dad to take baby so YOU can go on a long run, mama!)

I had changed my pumping schedule too, and I think that was it. I’ll definitely watch for it again! Casey actually has been watching Cullen so I can run – I just skipped this week because of the mastitis. :)

Colleen     at 9:51 am

Absolutely love the bunny ears! And Cullen isn’t pulling on them is amazing.

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama     at 10:12 am

Ahhh! Love Cullen’s bunny ears. So freakin’ cute. Holidays are what you make of them. It doesn’t mean eating traditional food or outings. I’m glad your little family and friend enjoyed your time together. Don’t you just love having guests so you can play tourist?

Lara     at 10:22 am

Cullen in the bunny ears is too much! I hope mine is half as cute!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing     at 11:27 am

Those ears!! Precious!
Glad you are feeling better!

Catherine     at 11:58 am

Oh my gosh, look at those ears! He is the cutest ever. I’m so sorry you went through mastitis. I had no idea what it even was until I read your Babble blog. OUCH.

Heather @ Life with Little H     at 12:09 pm

Sorry to hear about the mastitis! Luckily I never had it in the 15 months I nursed my daughter, but if it feels like the flu I wouldn’t wish it on any one! Glad you got to enjoy a little of the weekend!

Juls @ The Wife Thing     at 12:49 pm

I love the bunny ears!!!

Tina     at 12:35 pm

I have a dumb question I suppose, but can you explain to a childless person why you’d want the baby to drink mastitis milk? I am a vet student, so I know a lot about mastitis in farm animals, lol, but – Not so much in people, however. I fully understand why you want to move that milk out, and often, but why on earth would you want the baby to ingest the bacteria and somatic cells is baffling to me. Unless it just helps prime their immune system…

It’s actually recommended that the baby drink the milk! It has no harmful effects on them, and they are the best source of milk drainage for you.

Emily     at 1:58 pm

I’ve been known to run laps and laps and laps around Green Lake when I’m training for a marathon! But people watching is just so entertaining! I do feel like I should where a sign that says I’m in marathon training mode or something.

Alaina     at 2:17 pm

Aw, I think you need to get Cullen a little pair of aviators. :-) That would be too cute.

Tammy     at 7:30 pm

Wow – 21 miles that is a long run :) Good for him!

Katy     at 10:08 am

Emily, You should do a “bun tutorial.” Your buns (on your head) are so cute and I want to know how you do it!

Thanks Katy! I actually hate those buns. :) But Cullen pulls my hair when it’s down, and I don’t usually have time to do fancy styling, so a silly wet bun it is. I’m hoping to get my hair cut this weekend so that it’s easier to take care of (and harder to grab!).

Julie     at 11:44 am

What are your fave vegan/veg restaurants in Seattle? I’ll be back next week and am looking for recommendations. Love Plum Bistro and think cafe flora is good too. Thank you.

Just put a page together with all my faves!

Julie Reply:

Many thanks!

Peace,
JCC

Kellie     at 8:37 am

Did you get on antibiotics for your mastitis? I’m showing symptoms. I’d love to know what you or your midwives reccomend. Ugh. Not fun!

Oh no! I would call your doc right away. I didn’t end up on antibiotics bc my fever broke on it’s own, but it can get pretty serious! Hope you’re feeling better soon!

angela     at 7:12 am

Your Easter dinner looks amazing! How are your sweet potatoes cooked? Everything looks delicious!!

Just roasted! My favorite. :)

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Easter Weekend 2014.     at 3:07 pm

[...] weekend!  This was the first time we really celebrated Easter now that we’re parents.  Cullen’s first Easter was super low key and we didn’t really do much other than make him pose with bunny ears on.  [...]