On Being Present.

I have a tendency to always talk about how things used to be, or how I hope they are in the future.  Rarely do I just pause and appreciate things as they are right now.  I wish I remembered to do that more often.  And so when I read this bit of an article earlier, I felt a twinge.

The present moment is all you have and all you will ever have. The past you are now longing for – the past that you are now dreaming about – was ignored by you when it was present. Stop deluding yourself. Be present in everything you do and enjoy life. After all life is a journey not a destination. Have a clear vision for the future, prepare yourself, but always be present in the now. – source

Looking backward doesn’t have to be a bad thing.  It’s healthy to protect and preserve memories, to reflect, to learn from experiences.  And looking forward is a good thing too – setting goals, making plans, and leaning on hope.

But by looking back and forth in each direction too often, we tend to miss what is happening right in the middle – the now.

Being present is something I’ve been working on for a while now.  When I got married three years ago, I walked myself down the aisle.  My bridesmaids all went ahead of me, and so the last few moments before I stepped into the church, I was alone in the back with a wedding coordinator.  She turned to me and told me to take an extra minute.  Soak it in.  Soak it up.  It would only happen once.

Be present.

Malone Wedding-192 (427x640)

And I was.  I pushed aside my nerves and my emotions, and I listened to every word, every song, and every breath.  Because of her advice, I made sure to live every minute of our 20 minute ceremony, and here three years later I can remember it like it was yesterday.  By being in the moment, I have made it last so much longer.

I remember hearing similar advice in our birthing classes.  Childbirth is such an incredibly overwhelming experience, and it’s easy to get caught up in the lights, equipment, and frenzy as the baby arrives, and we were told to try to remain as present as possible.

Despite how mentally and emotionally drained I was by the end of my labor, I held onto this, and when Cullen arrived the background became a blur.  I focused on staying present – only seeing him and Casey – knowing that our moment as a new family would only happen once.

And now that he’s here, I find myself looking backward and forward too often.  Parenting is a funny thing.  While we do our best to cherish every smile, laugh, and snuggle, the sleeplessness and the hard work sometimes let the days run together and months pass like minutes.

It’s easy to long for the next nap, or the break that comes when dad gets home from work.  And too often I am thinking about all the other things I need to do, rather than simply appreciating what is right in front of me.

I find myself thinking in terms of the upcoming weekend, the next vacation, or the next time we’ll see family again.  But in between all of those things are days that hold moments of their own.  Perhaps they are moments that don’t feel extraordinary, and don’t always require a camera or a phone call, but they are still there.  Subtle, simple moments.

Today was one of those days when it was just me and Cullen – sun up to sun down.  But after this morning’s reminder to stay present, I didn’t feel the length of the day or the lack of help.  I just focused on each moment, each hour, and each nap as they came and went.  We had a great day.

I look back at pictures of Cullen from a few months ago, and I feel sad that I’ve already forgotten what it was like for him to be that small and that helpless.  And I read books and parenting sites and find myself stressing about all that comes next – solid foods, baby-proofing, potty training (okay not for a while, but still quite scary).

But instead of longing for what was, or fearing was is to come, I’m going to make a better effort to simply appreciate the here and now.

Because the present is pretty darn good.

Carrie     at 9:28 pm

What a great post. This is something I am really struggling with right now…always trying to look ahead into the future or live in the past. I need to devote more energy to appreciating what I have in the present. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Sana     at 9:33 pm

Aw, I teared up with this post :)Thanks for always sharing your life with us all!

Lisa     at 9:35 pm

This is a wonderful reminder, thank you for such a lovely post! I’m 30 weeks pregnant and each day I can’t wait until our baby is here, instead of focusing on enjoying and savoring each day of the pregnancy. Definitely something to keep in mind so that the rest of the pregnancy won’t go by in a blur. :)

Katie @ Soulshine and Sassafras     at 9:42 pm

I love this. I’m someone that always is looking to the future – I’m always excited about what will happen next. Not an inherently bad thing, but I realized about a year ago that it really keeps me from enjoying the moment I’m in, and then I look back and feel like I didn’t appreciate what I had. I try all the time to be present. It’s hard, but I think I’m getting better.

I do this too. I have made a point on recent vacations to just enjoy each day rather than focusing on “ahh we only have three days left.” It makes those three days so much better!

Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More     at 9:44 pm

One of my favorite qoutes:
‘Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift of God, which is why we call it the present.’ – Bill Keane

Aly     at 9:54 pm

This was beautiful. I am not a mother, I am a nanny but I can still relate to everything you said! My littlest girl, Colette, is 2 1/2 and all of a sudden I feel like she grew up on me. Today she pointed to the bench at the park and told me to sit, instead of the usual helping her play on the playground, it was definitely bittersweet but mostly sad! Children, and life’s moments are so precious, and I know if I am not careful we blink and they are gone. Cullen is lucky to have you!

Michelle     at 9:58 pm

Totally needed to read this right now! Thanks so much for that bit of inspiration.

Maile     at 9:58 pm

:-) Yes, focus on the present. It is pretty darn good.

Socal Rachel     at 10:06 pm

Thank you for sharing this. I also saw the Bill Keane quote posted on fb today. I never realize how awesome the moment is until it is the past. I really don’t know how to live in the present and don’t realize something was so great until I look back and think about the good old days….thank you for this post.

Mai     at 10:07 pm

Thanks for the wonderful reminder! It’s definitely so easy for me to forget to focus on the now–I am always thinking about what’s next!

What a great reminder to live in the present and to not take it for granted. Thanks Emily!

Elisabeth     at 10:16 pm

I’ve been struggling with some unhappiness about my current career (I’ve been working 3rd shift for 8 years as a clinical lab scientist) and often find myself only focusing on getting to my days off. Then, we I’m on my days off, I’m only counting how much time until I have to work again. I also find myself only thinking about the future (my plans to attend grad school) and not living in the present. Thank you for this great reminder!

Marie     at 10:26 pm

This was such an awesome and timely post. Parenting can be stressful and I feel like a lot of times, it’s how we perceive things that makes it easy or hard. You just have to see the postiive in everything instead of freaking yourself out with every little decision or upcoming milestone. I find myself doing that a lot and definitely needed this reminder. Great post…thank you!

Susan     at 11:57 pm

Back in the day when I sometimes felt that life was passing me by while I stayed at home with my two boys, I found it helpful to remind myself that I was “exactly where I’m supposed to be right now.” It calmed me down every time. The future really does take care of itself; and when it sometimes doesn’t, then you’ve got a great story to tell!

Natalia     at 12:42 am

This is a lovely post, and so very true. Btw, I just started reading your blog, and Im so glad to have found it! You’re a very inspiring woman – and your recipes look delicious! Ive subscribed, so will be reading often :)

erica     at 1:52 am

aw! what a great post. that is very good advice…i think i look into the future and back at the past far too much. thanks for reminding me that the present is pretty darn good too :)

Ashley     at 2:21 am

Well said :)

Zita     at 2:41 am

Wonderful post Emily. I loved every bit of word reading it! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Bri Carpenter     at 2:49 am

Great post Emily. Such a good reminder to slow down and enjoy each day..

Marilyn     at 3:21 am

Thank you – what a lovely, lovely reminder!

Nicole     at 3:35 am

Long time reader, first time commenter. What a touching post, Emily! I constantly need to remind myself of this.

Runmarun     at 4:03 am

Awwww! Great post Emily! Thanks for sharing that quote and your thoughts- this mommy needed to be reminded of the present moment today.

Sarah     at 4:46 am

Beautiful post, thanks!

Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life)     at 4:52 am

I remind myself of this every day (ok, almost every day). Lately I’ve been doing a good job of putting down the phone and just watching Hailey swing. I’m also committing to nursing without playing on twitter or reading blogs at least once a day (writing a post on that, too ;)). Because, like you said, I want to savor the now moments. I get up early and get a lot of work done so I can be 100% there with H for the rest of the day. It doesn’t always work out perfectly, but I’m trying.

Sarah     at 4:54 am

Wonderful post, Emily. This made me think of my own journey toward trying to stay in the present and I wanted to share something that really helped me. At the height of some of my most anxious times, I listened to the audio books of Eckhart Tolle’s “The Power of Now”. The content was life-changing and his voice is meditative. Definitely worth checking out!

Jenn (eating bender)     at 5:04 am

Thank you for this post. I once took a strengths test that told me my number one quality was “futuristic,” in that I was always planning for what was to come. In many ways, that can be a strength in the work environment (what the test was for), but I also was a bit taken aback that it was my strongest trait. I don’t think that is necessarily a good thing! Compound that with social media’s ability to allow me to delve into the past – whether it’s looking at old photos on Facebook or even reading old blog posts – and I have a lot of trouble focusing on the here and now. It’s something I need and want to work on, and that quote at the beginning of your post was an incredible reminder of that. Thank you!

ashley rebekah     at 5:17 am

beautiful post, emily.

Sneakers2Sandals     at 5:18 am

Not sure what it is, but your posts lately have been extremely touching. I hardly know you (aka, I know you through the blog world), but I so look up to you. This is based purely on reading your blog everyday but I just love the way you write and I love you perspective on things. It doesn’t hurt that you have delicious recipes too :) I just hope to be able to come back to your blog in 2-3 years when I have a child and copycat some of the parenting tips you have.

Angela     at 5:19 am

I loved this post!

Cullen has got to be one of the most beautiful babies i’ve ever seen. His little smile makes me smile every time I read your blog!

What a gorgeous family you have!!

Lee     at 5:20 am

I struggle with this too. Not so much looking back into the past, but sort of wishing my life away by constantly looking forward to events in the future.

This post was a good reminder to enjoy the moment.

Ellen     at 5:21 am

Wow, thanks for the reminder Emily. I can be guilty of no being in the present as well. It’s so easy to think about the future or the past. A saying I really like is: yesterday is gone, tomorrow has not come, and today is a present. :) Have a great day!

Katie KS     at 5:21 am

Great post. 3 wks post layoff I am really struggling as I try to job hunt. I am constantly looking back at the 09 cin layoff too since M is the age E was then. And looking forward to when we will have a “normal” again since I feel so in flux. Trying to be present with my kids and soak up this “bonus” time. But it’s tough. SAHM life is draining for me especially with the added stress of less money and job applying.

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama}     at 5:23 am

This is such an important lesson and something I often remind myself of. Great post!

Joanna @ Midwestern Bite     at 5:24 am

My five month old son reminded me of this just yesterday. He was playing on his blanket in the family room while I was attempting to make dinner in the open, attached kitchen. I could clearly see him, he could hear my voice as I talked to him. But he whined and whined until I came and sat right in front of him. Then he was all smiles and soooo happy.

I was just telling the Husband last night we needed to savor these moments. In another two weeks P will be starting solids and things will change. He is crawling (backwards, but crawling nonetheless) and making some fabulous circles and always rolling, rolling, rolling. We already can’t expect to find P in the exact same spot we set him down in and pretty soon, he will be everywhere and things will change.

There is something so peaceful in just “being.”

Shari     at 5:28 am

I absolutely love everything about this post. And you know what? Sometimes the ordinary moments are extraordinary in their own right :)

Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out     at 5:38 am

This is SO true and a great post. I still remind myself to be present with my 6 year-old.

Beth     at 5:48 am

This post is such a great reminder. Thank you!

katie     at 5:49 am

Love this reminder. I’ve really struggled with being present in the past two months (pretty much since our friend, Jason, passed away). I really need to remind myself to savor the moments before we have children and enjoy our “newly” married years.

Angela     at 5:55 am

This is so beautiful.
I have always admired your ability to write with appreciation and thankfulness, even during hard times. I think it’s difficult for most of us to live in the moment, especially in today’s society. Thanks for the reminder…applying this right NOW.

Laine     at 5:59 am

Such a good reminder to all of us, about everything. There’s a country song called “You’re Going to Miss This” that makes me cry every single time, about this very thing.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Pepper     at 6:18 am

Great post! Your right, we should live inthe present and i never do. I always rush for the next thing or I look back and sometimes regret, because I wish I took more time to enjoy it!

Lindsey     at 6:18 am

Great post and it is so true! A few months ago I had a lady that I used to work with tell me this same thing as her son had just turned 18, and she said she had always waited for that day and then felt guilty that she was never present in the past. But long story short I now try hard to be present and am guilty of always thinking ” I can’t wait till summer/the weekend/etc” versus enjoying today.

Kate     at 6:20 am

This post and you are full of grace.

Alex @ Raw Recovery     at 6:20 am

It’s really crazy that you wrote about being present just now because that’s exactly what I’ve been working on in the past few days. For myself, I’m trying to be in recovery from an eating disorder and other things and I spend “too much time in the movies” as my therapist puts it- back in the past or future tripping, creating stories that did or didn’t or haven’t happened yet. It’s difficult to stay in the moment but that’s really all we have. Nothing else exists except right now, this moment, as I’m typing this. Thank you for writing this post, Emily. It’s sometimes hard to remember that even really successful bloggers are just like the rest of us.

Andrea     at 6:47 am

What a great post. It’s so true and also so hard to remember every day. I look at my boys and then at pictures of when they were smaller and wonder where the time has gone. I’m so goal oriented and I’m ALWAYS looking forward. Thanks for the reminder emily!

Jillian @ Reshape Your Life     at 6:47 am

Being 10 days to my wedding day, this was a much needed post. It’s so easy to get caught up in the whirlwind, always thinking about what’s next. Thanks for the reminder to enjoy the now. :)

tabitha     at 6:53 am

Thanks for the reminder post!

Willow @ My Own Trail     at 7:05 am

This is so true! I have always been one who looks more at the past and the future than the present. My husband, however, is so good at living in the present. I have always envied him. So, last year, as I was fretting over how quickly my babies are growing up, I made a promise to myself to be more present. To truly enjoy and appreciate every moment and soak it all in. My kids are 7.5 and 2.5 and I can’t stand how quickly time is passing. I find myself wanting to truly feel every moment with them, so that is what I’m consciously trying to do. It’s hard sometimes when the choas of every day life happens, but it’s so worth it. I don’t want to look back someday when they are all grown and realize that I was too busy rushing around and looking behind and ahead that I missed the moments with them.

Jess @ Truly.Into.Fitness     at 7:08 am

Oh my!!! He’s starting to look a lot like Casey!! Adorable! LOVED this post:)

Lu     at 7:22 am

This is wonderful advice. I often forget the present because I’m bogged down by the future. Thanks for taking the time to write this post. It was very insightful.

Samantha     at 7:22 am

I am working on living too much in the future. Sometimes I am looking too far into the future and rather than in a positive way I am over-worrying about it.

Thank you.

Casey     at 7:27 am

Best post ever.

Leah Reply:

Mr. Garnish? Is that you?

Katherine     at 7:35 am

Thank you for this reminder. I have a 9 month old and time seems to be slipping by SI quickly. I am fortunate enough to stay at home with her, but still even worry that I am going to miss it!!! I so appreciate this reminder to be mindful and present. You ought to submit this to parenting magazines.

Heidi from BundlesofHugs     at 8:04 am

I can totally relate! Great post, enjoy today folks :)

Tracy     at 8:13 am

Thank you!! This was perfect timing and a great reminder for me!! We all need to remember to be here, to be in the now. Thank you! this just changed my day.

Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride     at 8:15 am

What a great post. I think this is and probably always will be a daily struggle for me. Sometimes I get so caught up in my future goals that I miss what is happening in the present!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie     at 8:19 am

Such a good reminder.

Right now, being so close to having another baby I find myself longing for his arrival and not being pregnant anymore but at the same time I can’t forget my one and a half year old in front of me who is the most adorable and awesome thing ever.

Rachel     at 8:22 am

Thank you for this. I have a boy just a week younger than Cullen. A good reminder :)

Julie (A Case of the Runs)     at 8:32 am

I’m glad I read this post. I am perpetually jumping from one thing to the next, always using the future as a carrot to things I don’t enjoy in the present. First thing that comes to mind is my engagement… I am anxious about the wedding (not the marriage, but the “show” part) and even thought I just want to “get it over with.” But really, you are right… there are moments to be enjoyed, even if you have to sometimes take the good with the bad.

I love reading your posts, and while I can’t relate to a lot of the baby stuff yet, Cullen is super cute, and I can tell you’re happy in spite of the not-so-dreamy parts about parenting.

Chelsea     at 8:42 am

I really love this entry. Thank you so much for sharing this. Definitely a lot to think about.

Jourdan     at 8:49 am

such a great great post Emily! Thanks for the reminder!

Alison     at 9:01 am

Beautiful and thought-provoking! Thanks for reminding me to be in the moment. :)

Heather (Heather's Dish)     at 9:03 am

can i just say a big fat AMEN to this post?

i read this at about 3am after feeling really down on only getting an hour of sleep at a time. but after reading this it really made me sit there and appreciate Wes for who he is in the now, who I am in the now, and how our little family is. you’re right…it won’t be this way forever and that quote is absolutely perfect. thanks for the great food for thought…it’s good to be called out!

Shannon Bell     at 9:48 am

loved this post. i think what i love about your blog is that your strength comes across as human–you are so open and honest and i appreciate that so much. also, cullen is adorable!

Brittany Tomren     at 9:55 am

Thatta girl! It’s unbelievably difficult being present. Im so glad you wrote this post because I was just thinking how I never stop and think about what I’m grateful for or the good things in my life. Im much more focused on what could happen or the negatives and thats bad!Anyways you totally made my day!

Ali @ Around the VeggieTable     at 9:58 am

My wedding is in sixteen days (ahh!) so this is a perfect post for me…I will do my best to be present and soak in every single moment :)

Leah Reply:

People say you never remember your wedding. I remember all of mine so I must have been present. Great advice. :)

Laura     at 10:24 am

This is my favorite post of yours ever! Thank you for reminding me to stay present and grounded. There is a lot of normal that occurs between big life events, but upon closer examination is extraordinary.

Amy     at 10:26 am

Great post, Emily. This is something I’ve struggled with a lot in the past and I’ve been working on staying present — especially since I’m about to have a baby and things are about to change so much. This is a great reminder to stay engaged with the present and to not keep looking to the future for fulfillment.

Brittnie (A Joy Renewed)     at 10:34 am

Such a good reminder. I really am working on this in general but want to be especially mindful of being present when my first child arrives in 4 weeks or less. :) thanks for this post.

Anon     at 10:34 am

This is a great reminder for being totally present during my time with my five month old. I work full-time so I really try to cherish my evenings and weekends at home with her. As for the rest of my life, however, living in the present is extremely difficult. Discovering your husband has been cheating on you for the previous two months does that to you (I discovered this two weeks ago). The pain and anguish I feel makes me only want to look to the future and see that everything will be okay, especially as it relates to my marriage with the one person in the world I love more than anything, in spite of what he’s done.

I am so sorry to hear that. I can’t imagine how you must feel. My thoughts are with you and your sweet baby!

Melissa S     at 10:38 am

Nothing is better than the little moments with your kid.. especially when you realize you’d have missed it otherwise.

My only piece of parenting advice is enjoy yourself. Otherwise, do what works best for everyone and makes for a happy family.

You seem to be coming into your own as a mother. The first few months are tough and full of anxiety/second guessing but one day you wake and realize “I am not a bad mother. In fact, most days I am rocking this.” We, mothers, are own worst enemies when we are really doing a great job.

Leah     at 10:47 am

Great reminder, Emily, thank you. and well timed with Easter and Passover and family time galore this coming weekend. (family coming in from out of town). :)

Ashley     at 10:56 am

I cannot begin to explain how incredible this post is. I am very much the same way and it is a constant battle to force myself to remain in the present moment. But what an incredible feeling when you are able to remain in the present. :)

Renee     at 10:58 am

What a wonderfully written post! I have a feeling you hit the nail on the head for a lot of us. In fact, my latest blog endeavor — How to Be. Here. Now. — is dedicated to this precise topic!

One word of advice: Don’t beat yourself up over not being present. I tend to do that, and then, what do you know? I’m not being present because I’m worrying about how I haven’t been present! Let’s all promise to be a little more kind to ourselves :)

Love your posts, Emily!

Michelle (The Runner's Plate)     at 12:06 pm

Guilty!

Jessica     at 12:38 pm

Great post! Really inspiring, and I totally agree? I just started reading your blog, so forgive me if this has already been asked. You said “But after this morning’s reminder to stay present, I didn’t feel the length of the day or the lack of help.” What kind of help is it that you are lacking?
Again, good post!

Just that my husband is out of town, and hasn’t been here to help like he usually does.

Jessica Reply:

Oh, I’m sorry. I missed that part. That would be difficult. You’re a good mom, and your husband will be home with you all soon. In the meantime, continue to smile.

Thank you so much! :)

Fancy     at 12:41 pm

Amazing post!

Jenn     at 12:41 pm

With a 7 1/2 year age gap between my boys, I’m finding it easier this time around to savor every moment with my baby more so than I did as a first time mom. Maybe part of it is having waited so long and patiently for him. I do sometimes wish he’d sleep all the way through the night, but when I’m holding him at 3am, I think about how long we waited for him to get here, and I feel peace. I just wanted to add it’s been fun keeping up with your blog, as my little man is 6 months old, so many of your posts make me think, yup, we’re so there too! : )

Jennifer (The Gourmetour)     at 12:48 pm

Great post today Emily!

I am about to graduate college and people continuously tell me to “enjoy it while it lasts”, or that senior spring will be the most fun, so soak it up.

But I can’t help but long for the future or think about the past. Right now is the most stressful time, I can say without doubt, that I have ever been though. I literally haven’t been sleeping at night. I have two paths ahead of me right now, and I am trying to figure out which I will pursue. Scary stuff. So I am obviously having a hard time at enjoying the now when there is so much change coming around the corner.

I need to breath and remember this post!
Thanks girl.

Jennifer (The Gourmetour) Reply:

breathe*

The end of college is absolutely terrifying. Don’t let anyone fool you into thinking otherwise. :) But it sounds like you have plans in place – good luck with whichever you choose!

Brittany     at 2:37 pm

I have followed your blog for a while, enjoying your pregnancy updates and updates and pictures of sweet Cullen but this one of my favorite posts! Thank you so much for this! I have a 5 week old and you can’t be more right about longing for the next break. I will definitely remember to focus more on the present because my present is pretty darn good too!

Rachel     at 2:39 pm

Being present is one of my running mantras. I think it is something that long-distance running has taught me. When I run I try not to think about what I still have to run (visualizing 20 miles makes it SO MUCH HARDER!), and I don’t like to focus on what I have run (it doesn’t matter that at mile 2 my knee felt better); instead, I only think about the few steps in front of me and my breathing. I find when I am able to enjoy what is happening right now, I am able to enjoy it and find comfort in the scenery, the current song, the flowers, etc. It is so easy to get caught up in the past or future and I agree that we all need to figuratively ‘stop and smell the roses’.

On another note, just wanted to mention that I love your blog. It has a great mix of motherhood, cooking, and life. And your food always looks amazing! I especially loved your sandwich with Field Roast and avocado. I’d never thought of that and it was amazing and so simple!

Thank you so much, Rachel! :)

Emily @LivingLongfellow     at 2:54 pm

i’m always looking ahead, when’s my next vacation? when I finish school…when I get a full time teaching job…it’s SO hard to live in the now but I’ve GOT to work on it.

Marty     at 3:10 pm

Great post Emily – and that last picture of Cullen – that sweet little smirky smile – he’s adorable as ever. He looks so much like Casey more and more every day! A little boy just like his Daddy, sweet!

Ky G     at 3:30 pm

Thank you so much for this post…I needed it!

Jess     at 3:53 pm

What a great reminder Emily! I have a big problem with staying in the present moment, but thank you for reminding me to try. It will be so important to me in the next year while I’m planning a wedding and getting ready to graduate college. Two major events that I want to remember, and not just remember the stress! Love your blog, it’s one of my favorites!

Abby @ Change of Pace     at 4:00 pm

Those photos are amazing; Cullen’s eyes are so big and beautiful!
Great reminder to be in the present. I know I’m always looking forward to the next vacation!

Amanda     at 4:45 pm

I’ve always found it so amazing how subtle, simple moments can be the moments that we end up holding most dear. Time really does fly by, so its important that we all enjoy each moment!

Thanks for posting this- I definitely needed a reminder!

Katrina @ Lardon My French     at 4:47 pm

It’s hard to remember to stay in the present, and take advantage of the now. Thank you so much for writing this. I needed a reminder, just as you needed to vent about it. I think most of us who commented really needed it :)

Debbi Fair     at 5:04 pm

I am 66 years old and my “baby” just turned 40. All that is happening will be remembered. Enjoy every crazy day: lack of sleep, quiet time to yourself that isn’t happening, naps both long and short. What I miss most now that my youngest grandchild just turned 7, is the smell of a baby. If only we could bottle that! As you said “be present” the rest will take care of itself, use your Mother instinct. You and Casey are wonderful parents.

Jenny V     at 5:11 pm

Feel the need to chime in with a comment so similar to those I’ve just skimmed… that said, your post was phenomenal. This past year I’ve made a cross-country move and opened up a business with my husband and it has been insane. I need to remember these little moments and be reminded that we are truly LIVING our dream!! It’s stressful, yes, but this life is such a gift.

Thank you!

Congrats to you on living your dream! So awesome!

Katryn     at 5:41 pm

Awesome post. A great reminder for all of us! Life (and each moment of it) is precious. :-)

Lauren     at 7:29 pm

Emily – such a fantastic post! Thank you for the beautiful reminder to enjoy each moment. I really needed it tonight. And, the pictures of Cullen are adorable :) I’m so happy for you!

Jenn     at 7:52 pm

I love your wedding dress. Where is it from? A little fun fact… My fiancé and I are getting “Maui’d” this Sept. And we’re staying at the same resort you guys did. ;)

It’s made by Watters! You will LOVE the Honua Kai – so beautiful!

Allpointswhole     at 7:58 pm

I struggle with this too but it does get better. It’s so good that you are even aware of this. It will come

Monica     at 8:25 pm

Such a lovely post! I find myself rushing as a new Mom more than ever before and it is so hard to keep perspective about life’s current stresses when completely burnt out and exhausted. You bring up so many great points!

By the way, when did Mr. C-Man become a little boy? His face looks so grown up n

Sigh. I don’t know! He’s such a BOY now, and I feel like it happened overnight.

Coco     at 5:28 am

Being in the present is something that I really struggle with. I don’t want to know how to get from point A to point B I just want to get all the way to Z- overlooking the process and journey. This is just the post I needed to read because this is especially true for me right now! Thank you Emily!

Tara Deal     at 5:32 am

What great advice. So simple, but sometimes it takes hearing it from someone else to realize how important that little piece of advice can be. Thank you!

Julie @Savvy Eats     at 7:26 am

SUCH a wonderful post– thank you!

And as an unrelated note: Cullen looks just like Casey in that last photo!

barefootgirl27     at 7:45 am

I loved this post!

as a mom who has been a mom for over 25 years and is within a year of being an ‘empty nester’ I am so pleased to see young moms enjoying every moment… even the hard ones.

you will someday surprise yourself by longing for one of those days.. ( but also look back with pride at how they’ve grown)

savor every moment :)

elizabeth     at 8:00 am

I’m 40 now and being present in the moment seems to come easier as I age.

Debbie     at 8:26 am

Totally what I needed to hear :) My baby is 4 weeks old today!

Amber     at 11:03 am

Thank you for sharing this! I tend to look longingly at the past and wait anxiously for the future, but like you, I have a really hard time being present. I appreciate the reminder, and I absolutely love the quote! Today, I will be present and embrace each moment. I hope you do the same! :)

Dee     at 11:07 am

This was such a powerful post Emily. Thank you for the reminder. :)

Rachel C     at 11:14 am

I must remember this when I am rushing myself and kids out the door for school and work and the regular hustle bustle of our daily lives. It can really be difficult, with so many things going on, and I think I have relied on just trying to get all of us through the day. Something to work on.

Heather     at 12:57 pm

great post, it’s so true. I am such a planner so I find myself looking ahead all too often.

Sara     at 1:32 pm

Such a great post! I have been feeling the same way since my little guy was born 6 weeks ago. He has already changed so much. When the day gets hectic, I often think of the lyrics or listen to a song by Trace Adkins called Your Gonna Miss This. Puts things in perspective for me and goes along well with your post.

jessica z     at 2:32 pm

this is a special post. thank you for reminding all of us to stay present. it’s so true, all of it. :)

Christine @ BookishlyB     at 4:16 pm

This is definitely something I need to work on too. It’s always about the next step, jumping over the next hurdle, and figuring out how to make things more awesome.

In a way, I think that it can be a benefit if done in moderation. It helps motivate us and not become to complacent.

Julie     at 4:32 pm

Wow, I never get sick of your writing and perspective. You are very honest and inspiring.Thank you for this entire blog!

Karly     at 5:17 pm

Beautiful post, Emily! I was looking at baby pictures of Elizabeth the other day and I came across one of you and Lindsey holding Elizabeth when she was recently born. She was so little and now she is 7 years old. Time sure does fly! Enjoy every moment with your sweet little blessing!

Anne     at 6:34 pm

What an awesome post. I couldn’t agree with you more. I need to take more time to relax and enjoy life instead of constantly stressing about what’s coming next.

Allison     at 9:34 pm

Great post Emily! You are very well spoken (or written!)

Julie     at 10:03 pm

Great post! I wanted to comment on this subject not to make you sad, but to remind everyone not to take those everyday things for granted. I recently lost my 3 month old son to a heart defect. He would have been 5 months next week. Going through this heartbreaking and painful experience has tought me not to stress over the little things and to live everyday to the fullest. I never thought anything like this would ever happen to me and now looking back on the last few months, it makes me appreciate everything I had. Me and my husband will hopefully be trying for baby #2 soon, and i’m telling you, you will never ever hear me complain about not getting enough sleep or waking up in the middle of the night multiple times to feed my baby. I would give anything in the world to have that back. This whole experience has completely changed how I now live my life.

Oh Julie, I just can’t even imagine. My thoughts are with you and your family. You sound incredibly strong, and I’m amazed that you are able to find positives in something so sad. Thank you for YOUR message!

Jacquelyn     at 10:11 pm

Emily, Thank you. I’ve been struggling with these very same issues this past week. My son is 4.5 months old and I’ve been looking at his newborn photos with a sadness that I can’t get rid of. My father passed away when my son was just six weeks old and I spent that first six weeks trying to give them both all of me, so I’ve felt like a failure in the fact that I didn’t get to give myself to either of them the way that I feel they both needed. I feel like I missed out on my son being so tiny and like I wasn’t able to really take in as much of my Dad as I should have before his death. But reading your post reminds me to take in my son now and to be happy that they both got to meet each other. So before I go on too much I’m going to go breathe in my son’s scent and really take in the day with him! Thanks!

I am so sorry for your loss! You can’t get back those early weeks, but I am sure that your dad getting to meet your son is its own memory that you can hold onto forever. Now I kind of want to go peek in the crib too… :)

» Stuff I Love This Week Jennifer Picicci Wellness Coaching     at 6:43 am

[...] Two of my favorite bloggers wrote pieces on being mindful and present this week. Charlotte of The Great Fitness Experiment wrote about her experiment for April on eating mindfully and Emily of Daily Garnish wrote about being present with her oh-so-gorgeous five month old son. [...]

Rachelle     at 12:49 pm

I waited to read this post until I had a quiet moment to really read it. As you can see… it took me a while ;-)

You are so right and this post really brings great points. As your little guy starts to grow it will become easier for you to be in the moment with him (mostly b/c he will demand all your attention & b/c you will be *amazed* by him and what he can do). You won’t always be in the moment, but there will be more times when you *want* to be in the moment. Let’s face it, as moms, a lot of brain power just goes into planning our day and next meal.

One thing that worked for me was to just take 5 min (then 10) to just sit there and play and bond. Now that my guy is 3.5 years, we have a great bonding time when I lay with him for 3 min before nap or bed. We talk about our “favorite” part of the day (or a part that made us sad or mad). I truly cherish this time with him & learning what was important to him during that day.

Thanks Rachelle! Great tips!

Heidi - Apples Under My Bed     at 2:07 am

Fantastic post, Emily! Thanks for this reminder :) So so true and so so important.
Heidi xo

Fran     at 6:38 am

I love this post. Being present is something that I never paid much attention to until I had our daughter. I attribute this awareness of staying in the moment to quitting drinking and my mom, who constantly says “ooo, I wish you kids were young again!” I am grateful that I am not just going through the motions so I can go out for a drink…who am I kidding, drink(s)! I am fortunate to be present to spend quality time with Lu after a busy day’s work.

Not to be harsh, but I giggle when I think of what my dad sometimes tells me when I am worrying about the past or projecting about the future: “Frannie, if you have one foot in yesterday and one foot in tomorrow, you are peeing on today.” Point well taken, Dad!

Sarah     at 3:39 am

I love this. Such wise words.

Lauri     at 4:57 am

LOVED this post!! Our little girl is due any day now, and I constantly find myself thinking about the future and stressing over every little thing. I keep telling myself that I need to relax and enjoy these last few days with my husband and that our little girl will come whenever she is ready! But The days all seem to run together like a blur lately! I really need to step back and enjoy these last fews days of pregnancy and it being ‘just the 2 of us’. Thank you.

Eating as a Path to Yoga     at 5:30 am

Those of us with eating issues don’t have a food problem. We have a calming problem. Small moments of meditation are excruciating, but helpful in developing present-mindedness.

The Unbounded Spirit     at 3:34 am

Such an amazing post. The present moment is all that we have, so let’s just be here and now and enjoy life’s beauties!

Leah     at 9:01 pm

What a beautiful post. It got the tears going for me. As a busy sahm of two, I really struggle with this. Thanks for inspiring me and reminding me what is truly important.