Weekend.

This was one of those great weekends where we packed so much in, it felt a lot longer than just two days.  Friday night I officially became the last person in the world to discover the joys of Instagram.  We had a movie night on the couch with the pups.

IMG_20120414_205845 (640x640)

I made a simple spinach salad with miso dressing – my favorite.

Followed by my favorite dish in all of Seattle – the tofu rice bowl from Revel.  We are moving in a few weeks and I will lose the luxury of having my favorite restaurant quite literally around the corner.  Eating as much of it as I can now!

Saturday morning we were up early to enjoy the warm temperatures and sunshine at Greenlake.  I did my long run while Casey jogged with Cullen next to me.  It was so fun to all run together as a family!  We looped twice, with a bit of a walking break in between.

IMG_20120414_123530 (640x640)

Back at home, I spent the afternoon reading about baby food…

Followed by about two hours of yard work.  I was so exhausted when I came back in – crashed hard on the sofa for a rare nap.

IMG_20120414_123354 (640x640)

Late in the afternoon, we decided to take advantage of the gorgeous day, and we headed out to spend a few hours in the sun.  First stop – the carwash.

I am notorious for leaving coffee cups and granola bars stuffed in every door and pocket – oops.  The car looks so much better now that it’s vacuumed and cleaned up again.  This was also Cullen’s first trip through a carwash – he wasn’t quite sure what to think.  His eyes got really big and he kept looking all around as the water and soap pounded the windows.

Our final destination was Golden Gardens Park – one of my favorite spots in all of Seattle.

We found a nice big sunny patch and threw a blanket down on the grass.

Cullen loves being outside around new sounds and sights.  He was pretty happy to just crawl around the blanket.

Gorgeous sunny Saturday in one of the most beautiful spots in the country.

Last summer I would come here and watch other families play with babies on blankets, and I would think about how much I was looking forward to that being us.  And one summer later, here we are…

Everything about this boy is pure love. I can’t believe I got so lucky.

Little fingers discovering grass…

A perfect way to spend the weekend.

Sunday morning we were up early and back at Greenlake.  Cullen and I walked and provided Gatorade and high fives while Casey did his long run.

IMG_20120415_103904 (640x640)

And in the afternoon, we were off to the ballpark!

2012-04-15 15.08.00 (640x480)

Cullen’s first baseball game!

IMG_20120415_150935 (640x640)

I wasn’t sure how he would do, and I was a little nervous going into it.  I hoped that all the sights and sounds would keep him happy and occupied.  Within a minute of hitting our seats, the crowd let out a loud cheer for a run, and I quickly realized it was going to be a very long game.  Cullen was terrified of the cheering and loud noises, and each time the crowd yelled he puffed out his bottom lip and let out a huge cry.  :(

2012-04-15_13.52.12 (640x480)

I didn’t want to subject the people around us to my crying baby, so I took him out and walked around for a while until he got a bit more used to the sounds.  I decided a full belly would probably help too.  We had a little adventure with breastfeeding at the ballpark (the full story here).

Afterward, he was content to just snuggle into the Ergo and watch the crowds around us.  He seemed to get more used to the noise as the game went on, although I wouldn’t say he loved it.

2012-04-15 15.38.26 (640x480)

Eventually he decided to take a nap, and despite the loud cheers and several home runs, he slept through about five innings.  Score!

2012-04-15 15.38.48 (480x640)

Let’s be serious here.  I think baseball is okay, but for me the whole point of going to the games is the fun of the crowd, and the stadium FOOD!  Last summer I discovered that Safeco Field is very vegetarian friendly.  We headed to an entire stand serving nothing but my beloved Field Roast veggie dogs!

2012-04-15_14.28.23 (306x408)

I got the Ichidog (named after Japanese player Ichiro) – a veggie frankfurter topped with caramelized onions, shredded carrots and daikon, nori flakes, and a drizzle of mayonnaise.  It was INSANE.  One of the best things I’ve eaten in quite some time.  I was skeptical of the nori flakes, but it totally worked.

2012-04-15 14.32.49 (640x481)

By the end of the game, our little slugger woke up just in time to see the Mariners win, and to take a trip to the pro shop for some gear of his own.

Since we live in Seattle now (and don’t see ourselves leaving any time soon), we figured it was time to hang up our Reds hats (sniff) and start supporting our home team.

Baby’s first baseball cap.  Too freaking adorable.

After a long weekend with many activities, this little guy was totally pooped and ready to crash for the night.

IMG_20120415_184549 (640x640)

And so were mom and dad!  It was such a fun weekend full of many of our favorite Seattle adventures.  I feel rested and ready for the week ahead!

Moving boxes arrive Thursday – I think I’m still in denial that I have to pack our whole house – eeek!

PS – I recently published a Best of Seattle page – complete with all our favorite Seattle restaurants, parks, and activities!  We’ve only been here a year, so it’s a continuing work in progress, but I hope it is a good resource for those of you planning to visit our beautiful city!

Hallie (@ChasingHallie)     at 10:29 am

That is so awesome that you took him to the baseball game…and that they had a nursing lounge! Props to Safeco Field.

We thought we would have to wait until next season to take Molly to a Texas Rangers game but this post gives me some hope. And M takes a bottle so that helps. Its one of those things you just gotta do and let what happens happen.

p.s. So stinkin cute in that baseball hat!

Candice     at 10:32 am

Sounds like a super fun weekend! Mariner’s games are awesome :)

Are you moving to a new neighborhood or somewhere outside the city?

We’re just moving to the other side of Seattle. We need a bit more space for our dogs than we’re able to get inside the heart of the city (where we are now). We’ll still be close to all our favorite things!

Jacquelyn     at 10:39 am

I was in Seattle two years ago and visited all the places you mention and I am always soooo jealous every time you write about them!! I think you must live near where my brother used to live because I could walk to Greenlake too! Sometimes I consider moving there but I don’t know if I could take the dark months.

It’s really not that dark, or that bad. The summers make it all worth it. :)

Anne Weber-Falk     at 10:46 am

What a lovely weekend you all had. Sighhhh…

Hey, will you take the mural in Cullen’s room with you? You worked so hard on it and it really is nice to look at.

Not sure – trying to figure out how to transport it! If we can’t end up saving it, I’ll get another one for his new room. :)

Bethany @ One Girl's Taste On Life Reply:

You could always do something creative with big, framed photographs of the mural too!

Chelsea     at 10:46 am

Nothing is more adorable than a baby in a baseball cap. Nothing.

Hillary     at 10:47 am

I want to hear more about the move!! Details when you get the chance please!!

Julia B     at 10:51 am

Nothing better than a sunny weekend in Seattle! Have you tried the garlic fries at Safeco? I have no idea if you can have them or not, but they are amazing, stinky! but amazing. :)

No, but I clearly need to next time! YUM!

Amelia     at 10:56 am

You are absolutely glowing in the Instagram pic with Cullen. Such a cute baby. How cool is it that your stadium is so veg friendly? I wish that was the case here in Charleston.
One thing I have noticed in the 9 years I have lived in Charleston is that while we have great farmers markets/ fresh veggies/ local cuisine, there are still no great vegan or veg dedicated restaurants in the area. I guess the south will always love their butter/cream/meat & biscuits.

Amber K     at 10:59 am

He is the cutest! Okay, everyone already knew that. But there are few things cuter than a baby in a baseball cap. :)

Sameera     at 11:13 am

Sameera     at 11:14 am

Hey emily. I have been reading ur blog for about over a year now. When I read last year that u r moving to Seattle. I was excited, and have been reading ur adventure bat the baby since then. I m on the east side in Redmond. Where will u be shifting to? Let me know if u need any help. I m myself pregnant right now at 5 months and preparing for a few exams for university of Washington. Hoping to meet u some day.Take care. Cullen is stinking cute and adorable.

Thanks Sameera! We’re moving to Kirkland, so closer to you! :) Congrats on your pregnancy – how exciting!!

Sana     at 11:18 am

I am obsessed with your cute life :)Love that your baby fits in with your fun and out going life!

Marie     at 11:19 am

A fun weekend! Don’t babies make it all the better?!?
Emily – Can you tell me what book you recommend most for preparing baby for food? I’m trying to learn as much as I can in the next 6 weeks and I was hoping you might have a suggestion for which one you’ve found to be the most helpful, useful, practical, healthy, etc. There are SO many. Thanks!

I am still learning about all this stuff too, but I really like the Tyler Florence Start Fresh book! I’m also looking into Baby-led Weaning.

kath     at 11:24 am

Such sweet photos!! I just got Instagram too – so cool! I couldn’t find you on there though – are you listed other than DG?

emilybmalone!

Mandy     at 11:25 am

What an exciting weekend! I remember taking my little guy to his first Reds game. We try to go at least once per year to see the Reds and it’s always an adventure, but now that my son is almost 5 it’s easier. So sad you are leaving the Reds!!!

Michelle@PeachyPalate     at 11:31 am

Gorgeous pics as always. That tofu rice bowl looks incredible! I’m yet to get Instagram…I don’t even have a smart phone!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats     at 11:40 am

That sounds like an amazing weekend with your boys!!! Glad you had a nice and relaxing time!

Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats     at 11:48 am

Thank you so much for the Best of Seattle page! I just moved here a few months ago and still have no idea what restaurants are musts and where all these beautiful parks are. Thanks!

Katy     at 11:50 am

We made our first trip to the stadium district for the first time since changing our eating habits on Saturday for a Sounders game. Several of the hot dog vendors outside the stadium have veggie dogs too…my husband and I got dogs at separate stands just for a variety and both of the places we tried had field roast dogs – they WERE delicious!

I haven’t been to a Sounders game yet!

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma)     at 11:51 am

What a fun weekend and how adorable is Cullen sleeping!?

I’m glad you guys are happy in Seattle!

Antonia @ healthinspirations     at 11:52 am

Cullen is sooo adorable. One pictures is cuter than the next. It’s amazing what you guys pack into a weekend. Impressive!

Brooke     at 12:00 pm

Great photos this week Emily. It’s rare to see one of you and Cullen and that one is totally a framer! I especially love the one of him in his hat!

Rach     at 12:17 pm

Did you get a haircut? If so, it looks great. Looks like a wonderful weekend. :)

I did! Thank you. :)

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama     at 12:18 pm

Bravo to you for braving the game with Cullen! My friend took just took her 2 boys (ages 5 and 3) to a Sox game yesterday. Her 5 yr old was freaked out by how loud it was. I can see how it can be very overwhelming to little ears.

Looks like you had a great weekend! Soaking up the sunshine and fresh air will tire out any adult or baby!

Alex @ Raw Recovery     at 12:24 pm

Wow, you did have a busy weekend. Best of luck with your move! The baseball cap is so cute on Cullen.

It’s 87 degrees here in Philly and I finished my senior thesis today so I’m hoping to enjoy some of that sunshine now myself!

Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life)     at 12:42 pm

Boys and baseball- absolutely adorable! Did I miss why you’re moving??

We’ve been renting for a year, and our lease is up! We love our current place but the townhouse set up is not ideal with a baby and big dogs – needed something with a better floorplan and a bit more space!

Lisa (bakebikeblog)     at 12:47 pm

sounds like a lovely weekend!

we just took Charlotte to her first rugby game!

Kristen @ enjoy this organic life     at 12:54 pm

The first picture of you and Cullen at the baseball game has to be my favorite of you two! You are so beautiful & he is looking quite adorable! :)

Samantha     at 1:01 pm

Best of luck in your move! I hope the weather cooperates. :)

Katie @ Creature of Habit     at 1:05 pm

I’m impressed by your ability to move again so quickly. I love being settled so much that it’s hard for me to imagine moving that much. Excited to see the new place!

I’m starting to get good at moving, so it doesn’t even phase me anymore. Haha.

Lindsay @ prettylittleparadise     at 1:07 pm

that looks like a perfect weekend to me!! a little work, relaxation, fun, and being with the people you love! I loved this post :)

Melissa     at 1:11 pm

Sounds like such the perfect family weekend! Cullen is such a cutie pie. How come you have to move already, were you just renting and now looking to buy? Good luck with everything. I can’t wait to see the new place!

Exactly! Our lease is up May 1st! :)

Lara     at 1:30 pm

Cullen in the hat…TOO CUTE!
Can’t wait to check out the new Seattle page :)

Lolly     at 1:46 pm

I know blogging isn’t a competition, but Emily, you are putting the others to shame with the quality and content of your blog. I am NEVER disappointed in a post or feel that it was a lazy or half-baked effort. It is always either informative or heart-felt (or even both). It is never robotic as so many others have become. In a word, I’m “CHARMED.”
I really hope this grows into something bigger and better for you because you deserve it. Your blog is a pleasure to read everyday and I love that you are normal and take weekends off. I can’t believe you are moving again–I know it is a happy thing, but so much work. If I could help you pack I would!!!

Oh gosh, thanks Lolly! I really do my best to only post when I have content, so I try to avoid any half-baked posts. Occasionally that means that I miss a day, but I think no post is better than a boring post, right? :) I really appreciate your nice compliments! (And the offer to help pack, haha)

Chase - the CHASE project     at 1:55 pm

The Reds will always have a special place in your heart! They’re in different divisions than the Mariners so it’s ok to cheer for both :)

Haha good point!

Liz Reply:

Yes! ALWAYS a Reds fan here (even though everyone else where I live in Ohio seems to be an Indians or Tigers fan)

Ky G     at 2:00 pm

I can’t wait to hear how you pack the entire house with Cullen around and how he adjusts to a new space. We are moving soon to a place with more room and I’m so on edge about how the adjustment will be for my little guy…especially since we just got him adjusted to sleeping in his crib in his own room.

I’m pretty nervous about it too! We’ll see how it goes. Good luck to you guys!

Kelly@Runmarun     at 2:00 pm

Great post! Your pictures of Cullen are, as always, adorable. Too funny about a family stroller run- we did the same thing this weekend and for us it was the first time all together. We had so much fun and my husband pushed the stroller too- and he still ran faster than me! :) Have a great week.

Yeah Casey was much faster than me too. Pathetic! :)

Whitney     at 2:02 pm

Hi Emily!
I have been reading your blog for about 2ish years now and have lived in the Seattle-area my entire life. It is so fun watching you and your family explore “my” city……every post makes me fall in love with this corner of the country even more! :)
Cheers!
Whitney :)

linda     at 2:19 pm

Cullen is so photogenic and so cute! I could stare at his face forever.

Bethley     at 2:40 pm

Ha! This post is cracking me up because I took my daughter through a car wash today after I had been to the grocery store to buy Field Roast Veggie Dogs. looks like a great weekend. I’m looking forward to that miso post!

Natasha     at 2:54 pm

your dog and Cullen make this the cutest post EVER!! :) It definitely made me smile!

sylvs     at 4:30 pm

Was wondering that baby food book your reading is it good?

So far I like it! It’s Tyler Florence’s book.

sylvs Reply:

Thanks there are so many books out there, they seem to have conflicting information!

Bethany @ One Girl's Taste On Life     at 4:47 pm

I see that you are reading Tyler Florence’s book about food for little tummies. What do you think of it? My little guy is a couple months behind Cullen, so I will be in your same boat shortly. You and Brittany (Healthy Slice), among others, are my pilots helping me navigate this new world of baby food…

Have you seen the book “Hungry Monkey” (http://www.amazon.com/Hungry-Monkey-Food-Loving-Adventurous-ebook/dp/B003K16PT6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS?ie=UTF8&coliid=I144UE5XQMWJ46&colid=1G11WXDDHT0CD)? It’s written by a dad (from Seattle, btw) who talks about incorporating all types of foods in a child’s diet. I haven’t read it yet myself, but it’s on my list! Thought you might be interested…

Can’t wait to hear all about Cullen’s culinary adventures!

I want to check out the Hungry Monkey book! I am just getting started with the solid stuff too, and I am finding it SO overwhelming!! I do like the TF book so far. Helpful tips.

Jennifer (The Gourmetour)     at 5:25 pm

Can’t wait to hear more about the new place! Looks like an amazing weekend!

Sydney     at 5:35 pm

Oh! Sounds like such an awesome weekend! I thought I might be moving to the Seattle area (Kenmore) for my dietetic internship in the fall and I was SO excited…especially after seeing all of your pictures & hearing (reading?) you talk about it! I just love it up there. Looks like I’ll be in St. Louis instead, but maybe after that I’ll finally make it up to the beautiful Northwest :)

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables     at 5:53 pm

Sounds like an amazing weekend! Cullen is such a handsome little guy!! :) Can’t wait to hear and see the new place!

LTB     at 6:23 pm

Adorable photos and great weekend! So wonderful that Cullen is so adaptable to different situations! He makes a great side kick for your adventures! A lot of my friends love going to sports games and so they got these ear muffs to protect their baby’s precious ears with all of the loud noises. Cullen might enjoy the games more if he doesn’t have to put up with all of the cheering! Here’s a link:
Love your family posts!

Baby earmuffs – TOO CUTE!! Thanks for the link! :)

Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More     at 6:24 pm

Just read your Breastfeeding at the Park story. So very cool that the stadium offers that room! Very convenient! I don’t remember having anything like that when my girls were babies.

Staci     at 6:25 pm

That picture of him in the baseball cap … I die! I would love to come back to Seattle (I only visited briefly a few years back). What a great town!

Tricia     at 6:37 pm

Cullen is so cute! So why are you guys moving?

We’re in a rental, and our current lease is up!

Shady     at 6:45 pm

Great post! I got so into it that I missed my stop on the bus. PS from the girl who was missed by the maternity gene, thanks for taking Cullen out of the ball game. This world would be a much better place if we all showed that level of consideration for others.

OOPS! Hope you made it home okay! I love my child, but I would never assume that others want hear his volume. We only take him to restaurants, outings, etc where we can quickly exit if needed! :)

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker     at 7:00 pm

Looks like a fun weekend, girl. I love all the photos. And Cullen is going to be all over the place SOON! Ahh! :)

Heidi from BundlesofHugs     at 8:15 pm

What a beautiful weekend! I love the baseball cap soooo adorable!! Ehh, moving not fun good luck with that. Hopefully it will be a smooth transition.

Lisa     at 2:37 am

The son of one of the docs I work with plays for the Mariners! :) Where are you moving?

Beth     at 6:37 am

Looks like a perfect Seattle weekend! So fun you will be moving to Kirkland. You will love the eastside!

jen     at 7:03 am

emily – reading your blog makes me so happy. i just love your adventures as a family and seeing cullen pictures always makes me smile. thinking of you guys with your upcoming move.

Cacmuffin     at 7:59 am

Oh my gosh!!! A vegetarian friendly stand that’s about the most wonderful thing I’ve seen in a long time!!!

Emily N     at 8:03 am

As a current Cincinnatian who grew up in Toledo (therefore lifelong Detroit Tigers fan!) I think it is perfectly acceptable for you to cheer for the Mariners AND the Reds. After all, they are not even in the same league! However, cheer for the Cardinals and then you might have a problem from your Cincinnati family & friends!

Meagan     at 9:10 am

How fun! After visiting Seattle last week I can finally understand a little bit of what you always talk about! So fun :)

Brittany     at 9:57 am

Safeco has fieldroast now!?! OHH MY gosh..this is so exciting. I am so jazzed for Mariners season, and this is all the more incentive to go!

Coco     at 10:32 am

So glad you had such an amazing weekend! Poor Cullen- I’m sure it was pretty scary hearing all of those fan scream and cheer- they can get a bit rowdy!

Angela @ The Last Few Pounds     at 10:48 am

Seriously, Cullen has THE BEST smile. There is no way I can see pics of him with that giant grin on and not smile!

FullFlavoredLife     at 11:29 am

Can’t get over how cute Cullen looks in that baseball cap!!!

Lindsey     at 11:47 am

Welcome to the eastside! I moved from Queen Anne to Newcastle nearly a year ago. We love it here – so much more space and it’s much quieter and clean over here. You must try Cactus in Kirkland – it’s one of our faves!

Lisa     at 3:36 pm

P.S. I just had to ask Allen what Instagram is – you aren’t alone!

Heidi - Apples Under My Bed     at 7:17 pm

Gorgeous post :) so much fun and adventure. Too freakin adorable is right!
Heidi xo

Ashley @ Hudson on the Potomac     at 7:59 am

Cullen in the baseball cap, TOO CUTE!!!

Kelly @ Vegolosophy     at 5:47 pm

Look like a great few days!!! I love that the baseball field has veggie options, that is so cool!

Lindsay     at 8:57 am

Love the picture with Casey!!

Kat     at 6:00 pm

Your little guy is getting so big! I love following along.

Gabrielle     at 9:28 am

Love the Instagram photos! And the photo of you sleeping, wow, the first time I think we’ve seen you with your eyes closed – you look totally different. Not bad different, just like a different woman. :)

I am SO jealous of the Field Roast stand at the stadium! I think I’d go to a Mariners game just for that… if I’m ever in Seattle!

(Cullen’s little hand the grass… wow)