Weekends.

A few months ago, Casey and I got into a dangerous habit of ordering our favorite dish from our favorite restaurant (okay my favorite restaurant) almost every single Friday night.  Rice bowls from Revel are my weakness.  So in order to protect both our budget and our waistlines, we decided to try making our own.  The result was delicious, and I have a new favorite Friday night meal.

Saturday we woke up to rain, as expected.

Casey works in finance and is in his busiest time of year right now, which is no fun for anyone.  He needed to head into the office for the afternoon, which left me and Cullen with a rainy afternoon and no plans.  We headed up north to a baby consignment sale, but I found it sort of overwhelming and left empty handed.

2012-03-31 11.43.22 (640x480)

Cullen liked checking out all the baby stuff and seeing all the other shoppers.  Even though we didn’t end up getting anything, it was a good rainy day activity.

2012-03-31 11.43.40 (480x640)

Once we got back home, Cullen napped while I made myself a delicious lunch of sourdough, avocado, and eggs.  My favorite.

We hung out in the house being lazy until dad came home, just in time for the sun to peek out for a bit.  We leashed up the pups and all headed to Gasworks Park.

And then we feasted on a delicious pasta dish for dinner – recipe coming tomorrow!

Sunday was supposed to be another day of rain, but we woke up to sunny skies and perfect running weather.  Casey still had a ton of work to do, but after last week’s missed long run, he offered to stay home and work to make sure I wouldn’t miss it again.

I fed Cullen and got him down for a nap, and then laced up and headed out the door.  This was one of the first postpartum runs I’ve done outside with no stroller, and it was amazing how much lighter I felt!  I cruised down the trail feeling awesome and pretty proud of my pace – between 8:30 and 9:00 most of the way out.

2012-04-01 11.06.42 (480x640)

I turned around after 2.5 miles, and was hit dead in the face with intense wind.  Turns out I had the wind at my back the whole way out, so perhaps I am not such a speedy gazelle after all.  I got my ass handed to me the entire way home.  At least I had a gorgeous view!

2012-04-01 11.06.35 (640x472)

My run was HARD, even without the stroller, but I felt great afterwards.  Five miles under my belt, and I think I probably could have squeaked out a few more if I’d had time.  I headed home after five, knowing it was time for Mr C. to be eating again.

2012-04-01 11.17.31 (480x640)

Once I was home, I showered and got ready to head out for a gathering with friends.

One of my best friends here in Seattle is moving to Connecticut this week.  I am excited for her family and their opportunity, but I’m also really sad to be losing one of the people that has helped make Seattle finally feel like home to me.

She and her husband had a goodbye sendoff at Pecado Bueno, our favorite neighborhood casual Mexican spot.  Casey was able to take a short work break, so we all traveled there on foot.

2012-04-01 14.20.56 (480x640)

The butternut squash taco platter – delicious!

2012-04-01 14.42.44 (640x480)

Cullen was really excited to see all his other baby friends at the party – so much that he skipped his afternoon nap.  He crashed HARD as soon as we left.

2012-04-01 15.53.43 (640x480)

We took advantage of him snoozing and wandered through the Fremont Market before it closed.

2012-04-01 16.15.38 (478x640)

We wrapped up our weekend with family time at home.  Cullen worked on his crawling…

And airplane…

And tried out sucking on some baby carrots before dinner.

Meanwhile, I busted out the juicer, which we typically reserve for the weekends these days.

Carrot, cucumber, celery, and apple – a great combo!

And last but certainly not least, perhaps the most exciting part of the weekend – this bottle – emptied by my baby

After months of refusing them, I had taken a break from attempting for a few weeks.  It just got to be too much with the pumping, screaming, flailing, and eventual dumping of milk.  For some reason I decided to try again today.  Cullen has become a lot more interactive and has gained a lot of hand coordination in the past few weeks.  I had a feeling he might like the bottle better now if he could hold it himself, and I was right!

Just before bedtime, I sat down in the glider and offered it, and he took it right away.  Go figure.  The next step is getting him to take it from Casey, but I’m hopeful that it will work.  Tomorrow will tell…

Finished our weekend off with a big plate of homemade goodness.  Basic crispy tofu, roasted sweet potato rounds, broccoli, and cauliflower.

As always, it is over too quickly!

Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More     at 10:18 pm

Cullen’s hat is adorable!

Looking forward to tomorrow’s recipe.

Michelle Eden @ From Seed To Tree     at 10:52 pm

That little hat is just too much – so cute!

Glad to hear you got a good run in – must feel good!

Anne     at 11:34 pm

I dont mean to be rude but you seem to eat alot of Tofu. Curious…if you had to count how much tofu you ate a week what would it be? because it seems like a lot. Is it really necessary to eat that much on a plant based diet with only egg as the animal source? cant you get your protein from other sources like beans or is it just a preference?

Alyson Reply:

I’m anxious to hear her answer, but I’ll give you a second perspective, as an ovo-vegetarian of 14 years: I eat a lot of tofu (between 1/2 and 1 block per day) because tofu is delicious! I love it. :) I also eat lots and lots of beans.

Leah Reply:

I think the only case where you have to be careful in regards to processed soy products (soy milk, tofu, etc) is if you have breast cancer that runs in the family. My Mom just finished an 18 month battle with BC and I will tell you that I try to limit my processed soy (per her doctor). For me, I want to avoid anything that produces false estrogens. Too much processed soy is a bad thing in my particular case. For Emily though, she may have a different family history.

Thanks Leah! I try to really watch processed soy as well. I check all labels for soy protein isolate, soy lecithin, etc. but I DO feel okay eating some soy, particularly the less-processed kinds. I know tofu is technically processed, but we don’t eat it often enough that I worry.

Leah Reply:

Yeah, and also it’s not really something you have to worry about unless you have a family history. And it’s a very rare breast cancer form in particular (treated with a new drug that came out in recent years…it’s a 52-week long treatment. Very rare). So unless under doctor’s orders I would not worry about it! :)

I actually don’t think we eat all that much tofu – probably 2-3 blocks a week between the two of us? I’m also not sure what you’re basing this on, since I rarely share my meals here in the blog – just a few here and there on weekends. But as far as protein goes, we eat a lot of tofu, beans, lentils, occasional eggs, and we get plenty of protein from veggies as well.

Leah Reply:

You guys are one of the healthiest couples that I know (or read about)! Keep up the great work. I wish I had a farmer’s market year round (our winter one just ended and the summer one does not start until May).

Amber K     at 12:45 am

Cullen is the cutest! I am glad he finally took a bottle for you.

Devon Mills     at 1:23 am

Not only are you making me homesick for my old running route, but, ohh, how I miss Pecado Bueno! The owner/employees are sooo friendly and the food is delish! It doesn’t help that decent Mexican food does not exist in Australia… but I’m glad you’re able to enjoy it. : )

But you are jumping on glorious turquoise beaches and hiking down streams! :)

MA*     at 2:00 am

I almost bought you that top for your birthday, but I was leaning toward the grey and white stripe. :) Lookin’ good mama! CONGRATS on the bottle — go Cullen! xo

STRIPE? I saw no stripes! It’s a great nursing top – easy to pull down the top for boob access. :)

Nic Reply:

I’m wondering where that top is from…I love it!

Anthropologie!

Jessica     at 2:44 am

You look amazing – being that I’m 6 months pregnant I’m slightly jealous of your great long run :)

Do you feel like you’re body close to pre-baby body – or does it still ‘feel’ new and different?

Either way you look AMAZING and are definitely inspiring to this mom-to-be!

Amy Reply:

Haha, me too! I’m 39 weeks so I’ve been running vicariously through my friends and favorite bloggers for a while. I bet those 5 miles felt so good, Emily! :-)

39 weeks! so exciting!!

My weight is the same as it was pre-baby, but my body is definitely different. Wider, squishier, just…different. But not necessarily in a bad way. I’m definitely a lot more appreciative and less critical of my body these days. :)

Samantha Reply:

Oh thank you for giving out this message. SO important.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 4:22 am

Look at that freaking hat – ADORABLE!!!

Simply Life     at 4:23 am

I can’t believe how much bigger Cullen is looking in these pictures- he is just so adorable!

Amateur Mommy     at 5:02 am

I love that first pic of Cullen, his eyes are so blue and he looks very serious :)

Lee     at 5:13 am

Sounds like a lovely weekend despite the rain and Casey having to work. I’m so glad that Cullen finally took the bottle. Hopefully this will be a permanent thing!

Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life)     at 5:29 am

Amazing running pace, Em! …even if the wind was at your back. That’s awesome!
I’m also thrilled to hear that C took a bottle. I know how much relief that must bring you. Way to go, little man!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama     at 5:33 am

Sounds like a great weekend! Hooray for little bits of sunshine, tasty food, and Cullen taking a bottle! Tommee Tippee bottles were the only ones my twins would take. They’re great!

Jen     at 5:37 am

All of the food in this post looks amazing! I am looking forward to recipes! I love Cullen’s airplane and am so glad for you that he took a bottle!

Lena     at 5:58 am

I’m a long time reader but this is my first time commenting. I thought I saw you running along the trail yesterday morning. My husband, kids and I were heading to the Fremont Markets (in our car) as we hadn’t been there before. You picked a perfect morning to head out for a run. I hope you get many more days like that to run.

That was me! :) Did you like the market? It seemed like it was kind of small yesterday – in the summer it grows to be more than double that size!

Lena Reply:

The market was nice. I guess I thought there might have been some fresh produce. We are new to the area and am finding it hard to find fresh produce that I’m really happy with. However we really enjoyed the food and had some yummy brunch while we were there. We really enjoyed the naan bread and my husband and I split a Japanese hot dog which we had never heard of before. I think we will try it out again in a couple of month when it gets bigger. After the market we took a walk down to the trail and the kids really enjoyed walking under the bridges and throwing rocks in the lake. We even got to see a sea plane taking off, that was the first time I had seen that in my life. It is a lovely area.

Ahh yes, Fremont tends to be more of an arts market. Have you been to Ballard? Definitely more of a farmer’s market, and much bigger. It’s my favorite!

Lena Reply:

Thanks for the tip, I will need to give it a try soon.

Katie @ Soulshine and Sassafras     at 6:05 am

That sourdough, avocado and egg combo looks awesome! I’ll have to try that sometime.

Jamie @ FoodinRealLife     at 6:26 am

Yay for the bottle! I’m sure he will take it from Casey, I’ve actually read that often they prefer it from someone else b/c if they can smell you then they would rather have the boob.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Pepper     at 7:00 am

What a nice and relaxing weekend!

kathleen @ the daily crumb     at 7:14 am

your sourdough, avocado and egg lunch looks fantastic! will have to remember to try that combo.

Sarah     at 7:19 am

Yay for the bottle! That must be so exciting for you – what a relief! Fingers crossed for you.

Robin     at 7:19 am

Congrats on the bottle and run! What a great weekend :)

Allison K     at 7:21 am

Cullen looks like he fits right in in Seattle with his beanie and plaid shirt!

Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride     at 7:46 am

Yay, must feel great to have accomplished that stroller-lss run!

I am very much looking forward to the pasta recipe…just the picture is making me HUNGRY!

Carrie     at 7:55 am

Oh my gosh his little hat is just too cute!

Christine     at 8:00 am

That rice bowl looks amazing! Any chance you’ll share the recipe for that?

Yep, I’ll probably make it again to get better photos and measurements!

Sarah     at 8:04 am

My husband and I get take-out or go out for dinner every Friday night and it never really occured to me that this was a bad habit. Oops. My idea of moderation may be a bit skewed!

Ha, well I don’t think the every Friday part is necessarily a bad habit, but ours has gotten expensive. And my favorite dish is not exactly the healthiest. :)

Samantha Reply:

I also used to so love Friday night take-out or going out and had to rein it in pretty much entirely because of cost.

I do still try and make Friday fun at home though – make a special dish, a dessert, a good rental. :) There is something about Friday nights isn’t there?

Sarah @ See Sarah Eat     at 8:05 am

Looks like you had a really good weekend :) Can’t wait to see the pasta recipe, I love mushrooms!

Heidi from BundlesofHugs     at 8:32 am

I’m always so overwelmed at those big consignment sales too, always end up leaving with nothing. Still fun to go to though. Those tacos look delcious and I think I’ll be replicating that for dinner. Always love to see your posts of food homemade or takeout gives me so many ideas!

Danielle     at 8:46 am

That tofu dish looks delish! I have make crispy tofu but it sticks to the pan alot, I am going to try your technique…thanks for the link!

A non-stick pan makes a HUGE difference!

Melissa @ HerGreenLife     at 9:09 am

Your egg sandwiches in this post and the last look really good. Do you have any tips or tricks for cooking the eggs — heat level, type of pan, oil, etc.?

I know it’s a pretty basic thing (which we do often at our house, as well), just curious if you have a special method from your culinary training.

I actually just use a nonstick pan and no oil! In culinary school we did it the same way. Medium high heat for a minute or two to get the pan hot before you crack the egg!

Maija     at 9:19 am

oh man girl, I FEEL you about the head wind on runs! I live down in Portland and deal with the same tricky winds all the time and literally use the same phrase (ass-handing) to describe it. Sounds like you have a pretty good attitude about it though, what can ya do?!

p.s. do you not totally want to eat Cullen’s cheeks?! SO CHUBBY AND CUTE!!!

Rebecca @ Miss Magnolia Munches & Moves     at 9:37 am

Looks like you had a wonderful weekend. Your running views are always so pretty and make me want to visit Seattle!

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy     at 9:51 am

Absolutely love Cullen’s little outfit of plaid and the beanie!

Samantha     at 10:44 am

I am not sure what made me laugh more…the waking up to rain on Saturday of course comment or the part about the wind on the run. :)

I know both feelings.

Jessica     at 11:22 am

Reading your blog gives me the desire to eat better. Your food looks SO good!
Cullen is the cutest.baby.ever.

SkinnyRunner     at 12:02 pm

great job on your run! you’re looking like one superfit mama.

and that plaid shirt on cullen is simply adorable.

Coco     at 12:15 pm

Seems like you had a pretty productive weekend! High fives for Cullen drinking from a bottle!

Rachel     at 12:28 pm

I want to say that I stumbled upon your blog through Pinterest.com and I have been seriously obsessed with your postings since then. It was about a week ago and I have been back-tracking your daily posts. I have a 9 week old baby boy right now and reading your “day in the life of” and other Cullen related posts made me realize that my baby is doing the same things at the same time frame. I love reading about Cullen getting me so excited in the upcoming months with my little one. We also moved to an unfamiliar city in my 8th month of pregnancy so I feel like a cooped up chicken with no friends or family near-by. Your posts and achievements make me feel like I can do it too!

cara Reply:

I’ve been in Seattle a year now and still haven’t made any friends, can’t believe you already have a best friend here. :(

I’m sorry Cara. Maybe we can meet up for a walk sometime?

Aww thanks Rachel! Congrats to you on your baby boy!

Sonja Tilley     at 12:49 pm

Wow! Cullen’s eyes are just the most beautiful shade of blue. He is such a cute little guy. I always look forward to seeing him on your blog. I hope you guys have a wonderful (and sunny!!) week!

Janeth     at 4:08 pm

2 to 3 blocks a week to me is a lot of tofu and I dont consider that healthy, sorry but thats my opinion if you have a look at Asian countries that eat it its not even eaten in large amounts, regarding the other issue yes Ann we eat too much protien in the western world, and protein is in everything so you dont even need to add soy products to meet your protein needs. My naturopath advised me to stay away from soy products and have them occasionally like once every 2 weeks, its not a whole food its processed, you better off having tempeh plus too much protein damages the kidneys and other organs and soy products are too high in protein.

You are most definitely entitled to your opinion. I don’t think that is a lot, particularly when shared by two people. I actually agree that Westerners focus too much on protein. I don’t necessarily eat it for protein, but rather because I like it!

Alex @ Raw Recovery     at 5:06 pm

You get my vote for best dressed blog family :)

Haha thanks!

Sally Mae     at 5:30 pm

Yippeeee! Congrats on the bottle! Also, congrats on still taking care of your dogs. My relationship with my dog has definitely changed since I had my baby…and not for the better. :( its really hard for me to give my pooch the same love and attention as before. ;)

Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction     at 6:21 pm

The airplane photo is SO adorable! Weekend do go by too quick! You look great by the way…I never would have guessed that you had a baby 5 months ago!

Thanks Stellina! :)

Allie     at 9:01 pm

Hi Emily!
Just wondering if you have all of your favorite Seattle spots listed somewhere on the blog? I am headed there this weekend (but I have done most of the touristy things) so I am hoping to find some off the beaten track restaurants, shops, etc.
No worries if you don’t, I just thought I would check :)
Thanks!

I do! I actually just finished up this page last week. Hope you have a great visit – should be good weather!

Lydia     at 11:01 am

Hi Emily! You guys look great!! Cullen is adorable. :)

Like a few other commenters — I LOVE your top! Where’s it from? I’m 5 months PPD and back to my fightin’ weight (lol) and ready for a few new pieces.

And as someone who moved to West Hartford, CT a year and a half ago… welcome to your friend! It’s a great place to be. :)

Anthropologie! My friend is actually moving TO West Hartford, and has a 5 month old as well. I know she’s eager to meet other new moms in the area – perhaps you guys can get in touch! I’m sure she’d love to talk to someone who knows the local resources and mom scene. :)

Meghan     at 10:09 am

Emily,

I am a huge fan of Whole Foods’ cold salad bar tofu options, my favorite being the asian sesame tofu. Ever taken a stab at that recipe?

janine     at 10:16 pm

Emily! I LOVE Revel! It is so delish.. have you had the toast with housemade nutella?? such a great brunch app :)

YES – it’s the best, right? Okay for some reason I JUST found out that they have brunch. HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS? Trying it this weekend, and nutella toast is going on my list. :)

Lindsey     at 5:30 am

Hi Emily! I know I’m a few days late on this comment, but I took a breastfeeding class last night and learning something really interesting. The lactation consultant said – point blank – babies usually won’t take bottles from their mothers because they know that’s not where the milk should be coming from. It’s like they’re saying, “mom, you should be using your boob, not that plastic thing.” I’m not sure if you ever heard that but maybe it would help w/ your bottle troubles.

Lindsey     at 5:31 am