For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

Game Day Decision.

Hello from Indianapolis!  Many months ago, I signed up for the 500 Festival Mini Marathon and hoped that six months would be enough time to train and get back into racing shape.

Mini

Now just days before the race, I think six months is definitely plenty of time to build up that level of fitness if you have a dedicated training plan and stick to it.

I made the training plan.  I didn’t do it.

Postpartum running has been sort of a rollercoaster for me.  When I was pregnant, I had all these high hopes and big ideas about what it would be like to bounce back into running shape.

I thought I’d be out there with the jogging stroller, gliding along and pushing myself just like I used to.  My recovery from childbirth took longer than expected, but more than that, I found it really hard to get my mental shape back in focus to run.

Picture 7

Even though I love running, I find now that my motivations have changed.  There are only so many free hours in the day, and when I have to prioritize and choose how to spend them, I often find myself choosing family time over solo runs.  Of course that is a choice that I made, and I’m okay with that.

Even more so, I’ve found it really hard to re-learn how to push myself.  For over a year, between recovering from my car accident, and then exercising through my pregnancy, my instincts were to dial back and take it easy.  In that time, I’ve forgotten how to work through pain and really push myself to the next level.

Now six months postpartum, I think I’m slowly finding my way back to a point where I’m ready to start challenging myself again.  I don’t know that I’ll ever have the same relationship with running that I had before, and that’s okay.  Now I have to share running with so many more parts of my life.  But when I do actually hit the pavement and get those runs in, they feel that much more special.

When I first sat down to write this post (two days ago), my intention was to tell you that I’m not running the half-marathon this weekend.  I didn’t properly train for it – my longest run was seven miles.  And after mastitis last weekend and a lot of stomach trouble this week, I don’t feel very confident or prepared heading to the starting line.

We packed our bags last night, and I left my running shoes at home.  And then just before our car pulled out of the driveway, I ran back in and grabbed my things.  Just in case.  We flew overnight last night from Seattle to Indianapolis.  Cullen was really the only one that got much sleep!

2012-05-04 10.23.02 (480x640)

But now that we’re here, I’m feeling the itch to run.  I know I’m not physically prepared, and that it will be very challenging.  But I’ve run a lot of races before, and a small (foolish?) part of me thinks my body will remember how to do this like it used to.  We headed to the expo this afternoon to pick up my bib number!

Casey is going to be out there cheering, and plans to meet me around the halfway point.  I am motivated, but I’m not stupid.  If I am feeling bad at the halfway point, I’ll probably drop out.  If I feel strong and confident, I’ll keep going.  At this point it’s a game day decision.

I don’t know what tomorrow will bring, but if nothing else, it has at least given me the motivation to train well for my next race in June.  Wish me luck!

Rachel     at 2:46 am

You can do it! You are an experienced runner and have what it takes to pull through. I’m confident that you will do well.

I will be out there running myself. Good luck to you!

Simply Life     at 3:09 am

Hope everything goes smoothly and that you enjoy yourself!

Karina     at 3:36 am

Wow!! You are incredible, I know you will be able to do it!!

Bri Carpenter     at 4:23 am

Good for you Emily! You will probably do better than you think. We under estimate ourselves far too often! And there is no shame in needing to take a little walking break so you can give your next spurt of running all you’ve got! Looking forward to reading how you went!!!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama}     at 4:41 am

Good luck, Emily! I hope you’re able to push through. :-)

Ellen     at 5:17 am

You can do it! :) Let us know how it goes!

Sarah     at 6:49 am

Go Emily! I think that no matter what happens you will feel so proud you gave it a shot. Good luck to you!

Sarah G     at 7:21 am

I find it so interesting that you feel you haven’t pushed yourself and that you’ve “forgotten how to work through pain and really push … to the next level.” From the very distant vantage point of a loyal blog reader, it seems like you push yourself extremely hard, so hard that you’ve gotten mastitis twice in a short amount of time (and don’t seem to stop while you’re recovering). You have so many things on your plate, and honestly, I wouldn’t even attempt to do HALF of what you share with us (not to mention what you don’t blog about!) And don’t worry about NEVER getting back into running!!! Cullen is still very tiny, and as a mother myself and knowing runners of older children, it just takes some time. Most of the mother-runners (haha) I know get back into it when the youngest child is about 18 months old. … At any rate, you are inspiring and such a lovely and hard-working person. I hope whatever happens, you can take pride in yourself. Best of luck! Hope you feel better soon.

Amy     at 7:53 am

LOVE, LOVE this post on so many levels…enjoy your weekend!!

Jen Rothmeyer (EmSun)     at 8:05 am

I didn’t properly train for my last half-marathon, either. It was slow going, but I did just fine and I did not injure myself. Good luck! :)

Angela     at 8:25 am

You can do it, you can do it, you can do it!!! I hope you do well AnD enjoy yourself.
I love your honesty on the blog, I’m a mom of one soon to be two kiddos and I just love how honest you are about the triumphs and tribulations of parenting as well as trying to be healthy and fit! May the month of May be your month of health, strength and love!

Brandi     at 8:28 am

Good Luck! I have been there too, my longest training run for the Disney Princess half back in February was 6 miles, but I made it! I had to run-walk part of the race, but my time didn’t suffer too much. I was very worried about if I should even attempt to run, but I was so happy when I crossed the finish line and got that beautiful metal.

amyt     at 9:00 am

Best of luck to you!!!!

Annette     at 9:10 am

Have fun no matter what you decide!

Grace (Graceful Eats)     at 9:18 am

Good luck, Emily!! I think you are fantastic just for running this race and conquering any hesitation you may have…we’re all proud of you! :)

Amanda     at 12:32 am

Emily you look fantastic!

You’ll be running again, life changes and we have to change with it.

Christina     at 8:34 am

Glad you were able to get out there and do it!! Great job!

Jen @ The Well Read Fish     at 1:42 pm

Baby American Apparel cardigan!

running shoes