Game Day Decision.

Hello from Indianapolis!  Many months ago, I signed up for the 500 Festival Mini Marathon and hoped that six months would be enough time to train and get back into racing shape.

Mini

Now just days before the race, I think six months is definitely plenty of time to build up that level of fitness if you have a dedicated training plan and stick to it.

I made the training plan.  I didn’t do it.

Postpartum running has been sort of a rollercoaster for me.  When I was pregnant, I had all these high hopes and big ideas about what it would be like to bounce back into running shape.

I thought I’d be out there with the jogging stroller, gliding along and pushing myself just like I used to.  My recovery from childbirth took longer than expected, but more than that, I found it really hard to get my mental shape back in focus to run.

Picture 7

Even though I love running, I find now that my motivations have changed.  There are only so many free hours in the day, and when I have to prioritize and choose how to spend them, I often find myself choosing family time over solo runs.  Of course that is a choice that I made, and I’m okay with that.

Even more so, I’ve found it really hard to re-learn how to push myself.  For over a year, between recovering from my car accident, and then exercising through my pregnancy, my instincts were to dial back and take it easy.  In that time, I’ve forgotten how to work through pain and really push myself to the next level.

Now six months postpartum, I think I’m slowly finding my way back to a point where I’m ready to start challenging myself again.  I don’t know that I’ll ever have the same relationship with running that I had before, and that’s okay.  Now I have to share running with so many more parts of my life.  But when I do actually hit the pavement and get those runs in, they feel that much more special.

When I first sat down to write this post (two days ago), my intention was to tell you that I’m not running the half-marathon this weekend.  I didn’t properly train for it – my longest run was seven miles.  And after mastitis last weekend and a lot of stomach trouble this week, I don’t feel very confident or prepared heading to the starting line.

We packed our bags last night, and I left my running shoes at home.  And then just before our car pulled out of the driveway, I ran back in and grabbed my things.  Just in case.  We flew overnight last night from Seattle to Indianapolis.  Cullen was really the only one that got much sleep!

2012-05-04 10.23.02 (480x640)

But now that we’re here, I’m feeling the itch to run.  I know I’m not physically prepared, and that it will be very challenging.  But I’ve run a lot of races before, and a small (foolish?) part of me thinks my body will remember how to do this like it used to.  We headed to the expo this afternoon to pick up my bib number!

Casey is going to be out there cheering, and plans to meet me around the halfway point.  I am motivated, but I’m not stupid.  If I am feeling bad at the halfway point, I’ll probably drop out.  If I feel strong and confident, I’ll keep going.  At this point it’s a game day decision.

I don’t know what tomorrow will bring, but if nothing else, it has at least given me the motivation to train well for my next race in June.  Wish me luck!

Erin     at 4:21 pm

Go for it emily! I’m running the pig this weekend as my first full and I have read your marathon posts over and over the past few months. I’ve had an injury and sat out a few weeks and not ran at all during the taper, but still have high hopes. I hope you do great in your half marathon, knowing that just getting out and running is half of the battle. Maybe employ a run/walk strategy from the beginning so you are better rested? I hope you tweet after you finish, I’ll be looking in my timeline!

Kelly@runmarun     at 4:23 pm

Good luck Emily! I will bet you will have a blast since you are prepared for anything! :)

sarah     at 4:23 pm

Good luck!

Sonja Tilley     at 4:25 pm

You don’t need luck….you’ll do fabulous either way. You’re up for the challenge and that’s all that matters. Plus, you have two cute guys waiting for you wherever your finish line may be. Have fun tomorrow and stay safe!

Dani     at 4:26 pm

Just walk it! Gotta get that race bling!

Seriously though, you can totally do it. Listen to your body. If it takes 3.5 hours, so be it. Let the accomplishment fuel you to truly prepare for the next one. You can do it!

Katie @ Creature of Habit     at 4:28 pm

Good luck! I think it’s wonderful that you’re going to give it your best shot. If that’s not a good way to get back into the mental swing of things then I don’t know what is.

Kelan     at 4:30 pm

I second the walking part! Run for as long as you feel great and then start mixing up the running and walking. You’ll be much happier if you cross the finish line even if it’s slower than what you want. But I think you’ll get caught up in the excitement of it all and will find it much easier to finish than you think. Maybe even ditch your watch so you don’t fret about your pace.

Amanda Perry @ Sistas of Strength     at 4:31 pm

Good luck mama. You got this. :)

janine     at 4:33 pm

good luck! I think you should come back to kirkland feeling great and ready to train for the Lulu Half Marathon in Vancouver! :)

Army Amy*     at 4:33 pm

Yeay! You’d be kicking yourself if you didn’t try. Good luck, Emily! You got this!*

Silvia @ skinny jeans food     at 4:34 pm

MINI marathon?! Sounds as if it is shorter than a ‘real’ marathon and thus much easier to do, but I assume that is not true on both accounts.

Knowing you, you probably push through no matter what ;-)

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats     at 4:34 pm

I think you can do it! just go out there looking to have fun! And remember, you can always walk! I took a couple walking breaks during my first half marathon a few weeks ago, and still finished in under 2 hours!

Marci     at 4:34 pm

Just enjoy it and leave with a story to tell! I know you will!

Cindy     at 4:36 pm

I too am doing the Indy Mini tomorrow. I trained well and planned for this, my 7th time participating, to be my best. Unfortunately, in February I hurt my knee and then a few weeks later discovered I was pregnant. I begged my husband to buy a spot in the sold out race so that he could walk with me. I want to run so badly but my body does not want to cooperate with me. I wish you all the luck tomorrow!! :)

Sarah     at 4:36 pm

Good luck! You look SO excited!

I’m doing something similar on Sunday. It’s a 12k that I knew I wouldn’t have the time to train for when I signed up. I walked it last year due to an injury so I really ought to be able to PR now that I can run some, I just need to pace myself and I’m nervous!

Lisa @ The Splattered Apron     at 4:37 pm

Go, Emily, Go!!!! We’ll be cheering for you in VA (love your shirt–I have the exact same one!)

Debbie Nichols     at 4:40 pm

You’re my hero Emily – I know you can do it!

Abby     at 4:42 pm

Good luck tomorrow! Like others have said, you can always walk to take the edge off. I bet the walking would seem worth it at the end!

Lindsey     at 4:42 pm

Doing this is just going to recharge your focus! Have fun and just run. Try not to look at the clock, easier said than don, for sure. ;)
Happy and healthy vibes to you!

Kristen M     at 4:43 pm

Good luck! You are awesome!

My husband and I are actually going to Indy this weekend for a getaway with our 5 month old!

Lynne     at 4:46 pm

GOOD LUCK, Emily!!!

Amy     at 4:47 pm

You have such a great attitude. Best of luck!

Carolina     at 4:49 pm

Best of luck!! Good thing you went back to get your running stuff…enjoy the run!

brandee     at 4:53 pm

Good luck! You can do it!

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy     at 5:00 pm

Woot! Go get that half! You’ll be happy you grabbed those shoes.

Beth     at 5:04 pm

Well, it might not be pretty but I’m sure you’ll dig deep and finish. Good luck and enjoy the running comeback race :)

Cassie @ Back to Her Roots     at 5:11 pm

Go out there and do it! Remember: the course maximum of the Mini is really, super crazy lenient (18 min/mile), so people walk the whole thing without any issue. In fact a huge chunk of people sign up just to walk it. So go out there, have fun and walk it if you need to!

OH and promise me you’ll stop and kiss the bricks, k?

Good luck!

Krissy     at 5:13 pm

GO YOU! You’re totally going to do it. I on the other hand was signed up for a mud run in richmond tomorrow and have come down with some sort of sinus thing again so I’m sending you all my running mojo!

cristie     at 5:16 pm

you can do it! if you have to walk a little, then walk a little, if you have to run really slow for a bit to “rest”, then let yourself do it. you’ll finish. :)
reading this post gives me inspiration, though, as i can totally relate to your thoughts on postpartum running. i began training for my first longer distance race since my baby was born last week and have been feeling less than motivated.
thanks for the inspiration :)

Katie KS Reply:

Haha – at first I read this as your baby was born last week and thought “she’s crazy!”

Amy     at 5:17 pm

Good luck out there! I know what you mean about not knowing how to push yourself. It’s a tough balance!

Jody     at 5:20 pm

Good luck, Emily! Your honesty is the reason that your blog is one of my favorites. You are relatable & I really appreciate that. Having a baby takes a toll on your body and changes your priorities. But do your best and just have fun!!! :)

Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More     at 5:25 pm

Good luck tomorrow! Whatever happens will happen, just enjoy the experience.

Courtney     at 5:34 pm

I dropped to the 5k tomorrow due to injury. However, I think you’ll find the energy of the event will keep you going. It’s a decent course, tons and tons of people and an amazing finish line. Good luck- would be cool if I randomly ran into you!!!

Lee     at 5:34 pm

I bet the excitement of running your first race in over a year will help you push through. Besides, there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking walk breaks.

Jaime @ Hippie Living     at 5:36 pm

Good luck!

luv what you do     at 5:43 pm

I think your body will definitely remember how it goes. One foot in front of the other, enjoy every moment, and run as long as it is fun. If that is 5 miles that is good and if is 13.1 miles that is good too! Best of luck!

Cathy     at 5:48 pm

I’m doing the mini too! And you can do it! Take walking breaks and walk half of the miles if you have to. You’re a fighter and you can do it!

Lani     at 5:55 pm

Best of luck Emily, I totally empathize but just showing up is half the battle, right? Try to listen to your body and go slower if necessary, but you can do this!

Amanda     at 5:57 pm

Good Luck tomorrow!! You picked a great race as your comeback…there’s so much excitement, entertainment, and positive energy I’m sure you’ll do great! I’m close to Indy and wish I was running it this year if, for no other reason, just the chance to bump into you!! Have a great time!

Lauren L.     at 6:06 pm

Have so much fun! The great thing about the Mini is there are literally thousands of walkers, too, so if you feel like you can’t push it all 13.1 miles, you’ll have great company!

Abby     at 6:11 pm

Good luck, Emily! Think of this as a non-pressure way to get back into racing. We’re all cheering for you!

Katie @ Soulshine and Sassafras     at 6:14 pm

Good luck Emily!

Jacquelynn     at 6:15 pm

You will be AWESOME no matter what the distance! I will be walk/running the Flying Pig half on sunday… I had a foot problem a couple months ago, so I had to lower my “run the whole thing” hopes to walking and jogging it. Still excited, though :)

Have a wonderful race weekend!!!

Amy W     at 6:24 pm

Good luck but be careful! I have “pushed through” races post baby and your body is definitely not what it used to be. I would be so sad if you ended up hurt or in pain bc of getting caught up in the moment…I am only saying this bc its what I have done and wouldnt wish it on anyone…after having 4 babies my experience with running is that it takes a full year to feel good and strong and back to “normal” in the running department. You will get there, but it does take some time. It’s not something you can really foresee ahead of having the baby.

Whatever you decide…have a blast and hold your head HIGH!! You are amazing!!!!!!!!
AmyW, Chicago mom

Kel     at 6:25 pm

Emily that is great! Just walk when you cannot run – you can do it! Your time does not matter. Just have fun and enjoy the day!! I love your Virginia shirt and Cullen looking out – he will soon be running with you!

Colleen     at 6:37 pm

Good luck! Like you said, listen to your body and have some fun.

Kristen     at 6:39 pm

Good luck, Emily! We are all rooting for you! Mind over matter, you got this!,

Katie     at 6:52 pm

good luck! Way to tackle a challenge! :)

Cate     at 7:02 pm

Good luck! Whatever you decide to do, I hope you have fun out there!

Stephanie     at 7:03 pm

Good luck on your race!!! Just enjoy being out there!

Brooke @ Exercise For Fries     at 7:08 pm

I’ve hardly commented before (maybe once?), but I read you everyday! I wish you the best of luck! You’re awesome either way!

Susan     at 7:11 pm

You’ve ‘forgotten how to push through pain’ . . . not after all that labor you had girlfriend!!! Enjoy the day, what ever the distance is you run. It’s the journey and not the destination!

katie     at 7:20 pm

It’s like riding a bike. You never forget. You can do it. PS – let me know about the stomach stuff. You know that’s the story of my life. Might be able to help.

Stacey     at 7:24 pm

Can’t wait to hear about the race. You can totally do it!! You’ll get out there, pull out your super mom energy’ and an addition to the finish line will be cheering in is cutest little cheer way. Yay cullen! Team Emily! Can’t wait to see you along the course on Sunday :)

Debbie     at 7:35 pm

Ill be running it with you! I don’t feel as if I’ve trained properly this year either….and I can’t say I had a baby as an excuse. Just lack of wanting to push myself; similar to you. My boyfriend and I had talk tonight and I know I can get through it. I’m planning to just take my time and enjoy the sites and sounds. Good luck tomorrow!!! You can totally do it and I’ll be keeping my eye out for you!

Kaitlyn @ Keeping up with Kaitlyn     at 7:39 pm

Good Luck!!! You will do amazing no matter what, because the fact that you had a baby and are running a half marathon tomorrow is unbelievable! I am far from having kids, and I can barely run a couple of miles!

Kelsey     at 7:39 pm

Have fun, Emily! Enjoy your race, your cute cheerleaders, and your time with your family this weekend!

Staci     at 7:43 pm

So, I was totally ready to come tell you how proud I was of you for recognizing you weren’t ready and for being okay about it … then I finished your post and I got all goose-bumpy and felt immediately inspired by your motivation to just ‘go with it’. I think it’s wicked-awesome and I hope you run whatever you feel comfortable running.

Will be sending lots of good thoughts and prayers your way in Indy!

Mai     at 7:51 pm

Good luck Emily! You’ll be great!

Alexis     at 8:01 pm

Good luck tomorrow!! I agree with everyone else that there’s nothing wrong with walking breaks. You will be so proud just to cross that finish line. And now you can start a list of “mamahood PRs”! You know you’ll only improve from here.

Also, I jut have to say how amazing you look! Seriously, I hope when we have kids that I can look half as good as you so soon after!

Leslie     at 8:01 pm

When I read that you went back for your shoes I was so inspired.I have been in a bad spot with exercise after a tough year. I have been reluctant to try things because I feel I’ve lost a lot of fitness and it’s hard to push myself . Your words made me realize that I too can go back for my shoes. I will be cheering for you. Thank you for your inspiration. Your a winner no matter what happens at that race.

Grace     at 8:13 pm

Good Luck Emily! Do your best and have fun!

Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee     at 8:29 pm

Good luck! That’s awesome that you decided to bring your running stuff. You are such a great inspiration. :)

Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats     at 8:34 pm

Good luck, Emily! Remember, you’re stronger than you think you are.

Amanda     at 8:45 pm

Hope it goes well!!! Listen to yourself and no matter what happens, you are an inspiration!

Kristen     at 8:54 pm

You can do it! Go Emily!

Alison     at 9:00 pm

Good for you!!! Regardless of how fast you go, you are doing something amazing.

angie k     at 9:05 pm

Good luck and cross that finish line!!!

Kathleen Ojo @ Onward; Inward     at 9:14 pm

Go kick some butt!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries     at 9:14 pm

i love your plan of action!! it’s a challenge, but you’re still being realistic and i think that’s the best way you can go into it. good luck!!

Heather (Heather's Dish)     at 9:25 pm

good luck girl! it’s definitely been hard for me to relearn how to push myself after having Wes, but the way i’ve worked through it is reminding myself that my body went through the hardest workout (and surgery) ever and i was able to push through that pain…i can push through anything now!

i think you’re going to do great tomorrow and even if you don’t finish it’s still a victory :)

Jordan     at 9:42 pm

I ran a half-marathon last year on almost zero training. Like you, my longest run in three months was one seven-miler. I’d had quite a few shin problems and really thought I wasn’t going to get to do the race. But – like you! – I, spur of the moment, went to the expo and picked up my packet, and the next morning I was running 13.1 miles. I got through it…but by the end I was in massive pain and had to take the next several months off to fully recover. Definitely use discretion and pay attention to how you’re feeling. You certainly don’t want to injure yourself. Oh, but just as a side note, I still have no regrets about running it. It was challenging and fun and I got a medal, so yay. :]

Jordan Reply:

Another side note: I lived in Indy for five years and am visiting next week. I love that city. Have a wonderful weekend!

Laura     at 9:57 pm

YAY EMILY!!! I’m rooting for you!!! You’re a beautiful, inspirational woman! I look up to you! XO

Sarah L     at 10:17 pm

Good luck and enjoy the race!

charlotte     at 2:01 am

Wish you the best!

Rachel     at 2:46 am

You can do it! You are an experienced runner and have what it takes to pull through. I’m confident that you will do well.

I will be out there running myself. Good luck to you!

Simply Life     at 3:09 am

Hope everything goes smoothly and that you enjoy yourself!

Karina     at 3:36 am

Wow!! You are incredible, I know you will be able to do it!!

Bri Carpenter     at 4:23 am

Good for you Emily! You will probably do better than you think. We under estimate ourselves far too often! And there is no shame in needing to take a little walking break so you can give your next spurt of running all you’ve got! Looking forward to reading how you went!!!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama}     at 4:41 am

Good luck, Emily! I hope you’re able to push through. :-)

Ellen     at 5:17 am

You can do it! :) Let us know how it goes!

Sarah     at 6:49 am

Go Emily! I think that no matter what happens you will feel so proud you gave it a shot. Good luck to you!

Sarah G     at 7:21 am

I find it so interesting that you feel you haven’t pushed yourself and that you’ve “forgotten how to work through pain and really push … to the next level.” From the very distant vantage point of a loyal blog reader, it seems like you push yourself extremely hard, so hard that you’ve gotten mastitis twice in a short amount of time (and don’t seem to stop while you’re recovering). You have so many things on your plate, and honestly, I wouldn’t even attempt to do HALF of what you share with us (not to mention what you don’t blog about!) And don’t worry about NEVER getting back into running!!! Cullen is still very tiny, and as a mother myself and knowing runners of older children, it just takes some time. Most of the mother-runners (haha) I know get back into it when the youngest child is about 18 months old. … At any rate, you are inspiring and such a lovely and hard-working person. I hope whatever happens, you can take pride in yourself. Best of luck! Hope you feel better soon.

Amy     at 7:53 am

LOVE, LOVE this post on so many levels…enjoy your weekend!!

Jen Rothmeyer (EmSun)     at 8:05 am

I didn’t properly train for my last half-marathon, either. It was slow going, but I did just fine and I did not injure myself. Good luck! :)

Angela     at 8:25 am

You can do it, you can do it, you can do it!!! I hope you do well AnD enjoy yourself.
I love your honesty on the blog, I’m a mom of one soon to be two kiddos and I just love how honest you are about the triumphs and tribulations of parenting as well as trying to be healthy and fit! May the month of May be your month of health, strength and love!

Brandi     at 8:28 am

Good Luck! I have been there too, my longest training run for the Disney Princess half back in February was 6 miles, but I made it! I had to run-walk part of the race, but my time didn’t suffer too much. I was very worried about if I should even attempt to run, but I was so happy when I crossed the finish line and got that beautiful metal.

amyt     at 9:00 am

Best of luck to you!!!!

Annette     at 9:10 am

Have fun no matter what you decide!

Grace (Graceful Eats)     at 9:18 am

Good luck, Emily!! I think you are fantastic just for running this race and conquering any hesitation you may have…we’re all proud of you! :)

Amanda     at 12:32 am

Emily you look fantastic!

You’ll be running again, life changes and we have to change with it.

Christina     at 8:34 am

Glad you were able to get out there and do it!! Great job!

Jen @ The Well Read Fish     at 1:42 pm

Baby American Apparel cardigan!