For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

Memorial Day Memories.

While I love spending long weekends on trips or vacations, there is also something really satisfying about having an extra long weekend at home with your family.  Ours was full of food and friends and went by too quickly, as they all seem to do.

Casey worked from home on Friday, so with all of us at home it felt like the weekend started early.  Casey worked, while Cullen and I found other sources of entertainment.

Friday night was our weekly trip to the Juanita Beach Market – fresh flowers, vegan bean tamales, a Nutella banana crepe, and round on the baby swings.  Let the weekend begin!

May 25 (640x640)

Saturday morning we were back by the water – this time at Magnusen Park – for Casey’s 5K race!

Cullen gave Casey a pre-race pep talk.

And the he and I cheered for the runners as they passed!

Casey did a great job and finished in 20:39 – good enough for 8th place overall.  Naturally he was not happy with his time (he never is), but I was impressed nonetheless.

No trip to the park or beach is complete without playing on the shore.

Back at home, I cooked.

And then it was off to another park for a big picnic in the sunshine with friends.

Potato salad, bean salad, quinoa salad, gluten free peanut butter cookies, hummus, crackers, and the world’s biggest bowl of fresh cut fruit.

It was a perfect day in the sun, and we all sat and talked for several hours, enjoying a rare HOT day in Seattle!

Cullen slept for two hours in the stroller, allowing Casey and I a relaxing afternoon with friends.  Amazing.  He woke up just in time to play for a bit in the summer sun.

Afterward, we were all tired from a long day out and about, and Cullen and I snoozed together in the backyard.

Casey and I stayed up late painting Cullen’s nursery.  It is the project that never ends.  We also built shelves in the garage at 9pm and realized afterward that our new neighbors probably hate us.  Oops.

Sunday morning came early.  We juiced.

And caffeinated.  Actually, that’s a lie.  We drink decaf, and yet we are both still totally addicted.  We pulled out the celebratory mugs…

And settled in to watch the greatest spectacle in racing

Casey is from Indianapolis, and has been to more 500’s than he can count.  I’ve been four myself, and I hope to get to go again.  From our cool 65 degree day in Seattle, I texted our friends in Indy who were watching in the 95 degree heat.  Probably a good year to miss.

We spent the afternoon at Greenlake, catching up with the Pea family who were in town for a visit.  After the kiddos were all worn out, Casey and I took Cullen for a run around the lake.  We took turns trading off with the stroller, and I ended up with six miles total.  It hurt.

Home again.  More cooking.

Sunday morning.  Even more cooking.

Yet another cookout with friends, this time with my moms group – plus the dads!  We’ve been trying to get all the dads together for months.  We had a delicious spread of healthy food – quinoa salad, fresh berries and other fruit, pesto pasta salad, homemade avocado sushi…

And insanely good fresh-out-of-the-oven rosemary flatbread made by Nicki and Rick.  It was completely out of this world.  Rick actually sent us home with some of the extra dough so we can make some of our own.  A pizza stone has been ordered.  We will report back.

Cullen partied hard with his baby friends and passed out on my chest while I was standing up talking in a noisy kitchen full of people.

If that’s not a way to end a holiday weekend, I don’t know what is.

Katie @ Soulshine and Sassafras     at 7:46 am

Sounds like a perfect weekend! I love Cullen’s little sun hat :)

Haley S     at 8:16 am

Sounds like a great weekend. That last picture of you and Cullen is too precious…if that isn’t frame-able, I don’t know what is!

I also wanted to let you know that I’m totally impressed by your ability to be social, active and play with Cullen….you’re awesome!

Heather (Heather's Dish)     at 8:42 am

love sleepy babies! we’ve been visiting family all week and wes has NOT been sleeping. granted we’ve been sans nap swing…uh oh! he’ll be one sleep little man when we get back to colorado…

Monica     at 9:56 am

What a perfect weekend! And I love that picture of Cullen with his mouth open over the pup – too cute!

My husband and I desperately need to find a way to make some parent friends, we need that social circle.

Jessica Marshall     at 10:06 am

Your family is beautiful, and I love staying close to home on holidays.

Sarah     at 10:12 am

I can’t believe we didn’t get a single picture together. Of course, I’m pretty sure Cullen would have broken my camera. Too much cuteness.

Ashley @ Hudson on the Potomac     at 10:36 am

Emily, both of your quinoa salads look fantastic! Love the picture of Cullen playing by the shore with Casey!

christina     at 11:27 am

Lovely pictures – especially the last one. Just curious when the chocolate chip cookie recipe will be coming?

Michelle Reply:

Seconded! Really looking forward to those cookies. Hey, if Huey ate them twice, they must be good ;)

Samantha Reply:

LOL. I know…that is totally the question I had…are those the cookies that were eaten twice?! It is like we are being teased! :)

Still need to remake those! Although I hate to disappoint – they were lemon almond, not chocolate chip. :)

Jillian @ Reshape Your Life     at 11:39 am

Motherhood looks so good on you! That last picture is just stunning! seems like ya’ll had an amazing weekend!

Amber K     at 11:59 am

Looks like a great time!

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See     at 12:10 pm

Glad to see that Cullen has become good friends with the pups :)

April     at 1:04 pm

I agree with everyone on the last picture:)
I also have to say you dress Cullen SO darn cute, i just love ALL his outfits! I try to dress my little one cute too, but you take the cake! If you don’t mind sharing, where do you get most of his clothes? And his shoes are just darling too.

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie     at 5:10 pm

What a beautiful picture of you and cullen and of casey and cullen! And how fun you got to hang out with the pea family! That must have been so much fun!

elizabeth     at 6:41 pm

Looks like some great food over the weekend. Can’t wait to find out how to make that rosemary flatbread! Can you tell me if you use toasted sesame oil in your sesame soba noodle salad?

Sorry i am so late on this!! YES – toasted sesame oil. YUM!

JessicaE     at 7:34 pm

Can that first picture be any more adorable?? Cullen wins for best baby smile ever.

Lisa     at 10:34 pm

We love our pizza stone!!

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert     at 5:53 am

Such a fun weekend! You look amazing – hope all is well :)

Emily     at 11:48 am

I have been a fan of your blog for a long while now and your writing about Seattle has convinced me I need to get out that way (read: want to move out there). So, I finally wore my boyfriend down and we signed up for the Seattle Marathon today! We live in Charlotte and are big runners and [moderately] healthy eaters (I found your blog via Peanut Butter Runner). I always smile when you write about watching your husband race(Flying pig marathon post hit close to home!) – I go through the.same.exact.things. when I cheer on my bf. It’s good to know I’m not alone :) Thanks for all the great stories!!

Oh wow, so exciting! Are you doing the marathon in November? I hear that is a great race! I hope you love it out here. Very HILLY. :)

Lori     at 10:13 am

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the photo of Cullen looking like he’s going to chomp down on the pooch. So adorable! He’s one cute little boy, with an awesome smile :) Oh and I love his hair. hee hee. don’t cut it!

Amelia @ Eating Made Easy     at 9:21 pm

What a beautiful blog – and baby! I am from Seattle originally and it’s fun to see you guys adventure in all my favorite parks :)

Maybe we’ll meet next week at BlogHer Food!

I will be there! I’ll be hauling Cullen around, so I’ll probably be in and out, but I’ll be there. :)

Gabrielle     at 9:52 am

I think I had a dream that you finally did a picture post all about your new house. Was that a dream or have you done one already?

Love the photo of you and Cullen in the sunshine.

Haha that’s too funny. Nope, haven’t done a big tour. We’re still painting and getting things settled and organized!

Meagan     at 8:17 am

Emily you look really great! I am happy to see you are doing so well. That photo of you with Cullen on the chair is very precious! It would be a good one to frame in black and white and add to the nursery!

polymyositis lung cancer awareness ribbon     at 11:07 am

polymyositis lung cancer awareness ribbon…

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Memorial Day Memories….

great ginger Pills     at 4:34 pm

Excellent blog here! Additionally your website so much up very fast!
Whhat host are you using? Can Iam getting your associate hyperlink in your host?
I wish my web site loaded up as quickly as yours lol

running shoes