The Indianapolis 500 Festival Mini Marathon.

For a race that was only thirteen miles long, it sure did feel dramatic at times.  I realized when we were at the expo on Friday that I hadn’t actually run a race in two entire years – my last was the 2010 Flying Pig Marathon.

It had been so long since I had raced, and along with the out of town travel, I was feeling really unprepared and incredibly anxious going into Saturday morning.  When my alarm went off at 5:30, I immediately told Casey I didn’t want to do it.  He suggested I get up and at least think about it in the shower.

So I showered.  Then I got dressed.  Then I ate some sort of peanut butter bagel that Casey handed me.  In order to make it downtown in time, our plan was to leave Casey’s parents house no later than 6:15am.  At 6:15, I was still staring into the baby monitor – it just felt so wrong to wake Cullen up, especially after we had traveled all night the night before.  It didn’t seem important enough – my baby needed a good night of sleep (it was only 3:15am pacific time!).

I told Casey I couldn’t bear to wake him up, and I was going to sit this one out and do my best to train well for the next race.  And literally within ten seconds, Cullen started stirring on the monitor – he was up.  I know it sounds super cheesy, but I took it as a sign.  I was laying out every excuse I could think of not to run, and they were all backfiring.

So we packed Cullen up and headed down to the start 30 minutes later than we had initially planned.  Casey ended up finding a great spot near the starting line, and pulled over so I could feed Cullen in the car.  One of the trickiest things about this being my first postpartum race was figuring out the whole breastfeeding piece.  Cullen is still not a bottle fan, and I knew it would likely take me close to three hours to finish the race.  I had to feed him as close to the start and finish times as possible.

Once his belly was full, I jumped out of the car and headed to the start.  Even at 7:30 in the morning, I was already feeling the heat (a high of 82 for the day!), and I knew it was going to be a challenge for me.  I was undertrained to begin with, but the training I did do was in cool dry 50 degree Seattle temps.  Indy was hot, humid, and very sticky.

Once the starting gun went off, I started jogging and immediately felt cramping in my sides.  One of my biggest worries for this race (other than Cullen getting hungry) was getting dehydrated.  My plan for the race was to drink at every water and Gatorade stop, and to start slow so that hopefully I could run as long as possible.

• Mile 1: 9:50
  • Mile 2: 10:09

Within just a few minutes of starting, I was already drenched in sweat.  I’m certainly not looking for excuses, since I went into this race totally unprepared, but the heat did me no favors on Saturday.  Seattle is cool and dry, and Indianapolis was hot and humid.  My body hasn’t felt conditions like that in over a year.

• Mile 3: 10:01
  • Mile 4: 10:27

I knew Casey, his mom, and Cullen would be waiting for me around the 5.5 mark, and I made it my goal just to make it to him.  I felt so overheated and tired already, and I knew there was no way I could maintain running for the rest of the race.  I focused on getting to my family.  I saw a man holding a sign that said “No one made you do this.”  It became my mantra for the rest of the race.

• Mile 5: 9:52

From pretty far back, I spotted Casey and Tina up ahead, and I saw my precious baby boy being snuggled on the sidelines.  I ran up and gave him a huge kiss!

2012-05-05_08-36-10_332

I stopped and ate a few shot blocks, and told Casey I couldn’t finish the race.  I didn’t quite feel ready to quit just yet, but I knew 13 wasn’t in the cards for me.  I was just about to enter the Indianapolis Motor Speedway at that point – a 2.5 mile loop around the racetrack.  He had planned to originally go to mile 11 from there, but I asked him to go to the other side of the track, so that I could be finished after I had run the loop.  Mentally, I was finished, but I wanted to at least run the racetrack.  I gave Cullen a kiss and kept going.

• Mile 6: 12:15

2012-05-05_08-35-55_353

The minute I got inside the track, I wanted to be done.  I wished I had just quit when I saw Casey and longed to already be in the car driving home.  I was so hot, and no matter how many cups of water I dumped over my head, I couldn’t get myself cooled down and motivated to run again.  Knowing I was going to quit on the other side, I slowed to a walk and decided to take my time and not push myself anymore.

• Mile 7: 12:37
  • Mile 8: 14:21

I had my phone with me so that Casey and I could get in touch if needed.  Since I had resigned myself to not finishing, I pulled it out and snapped a few pictures, so that Casey could see the racetrack portion of the course.

2012-05-05_09.03.52

I knew my sister and friends were worried and wondering if I was running, so I tweeted that I was going to quit at mile nine.  There was no shade on the course, and the heat was killing me.  I was worried about being dehydrated, but I felt sick from drinking so much water.  I wondered if Cullen was hungry.

We have gone to the Indy 500 several times over the past few years, and I got a surge of emotion and nostalgia as I entered the turn where we used to always watch the race.

2012-05-05_09.03.59

Even though my run was terrible, it felt good to think about how much I’ve changed and grown since the last time I was at the speedway (many many beers deep!).

download

I felt my phone vibrate on my hip around the 8 mile marker.  I pulled it out to see that Casey was calling me.  The road closures made it impossible for him to get to the other side of the track, so my options were to either finish the race, or walk the course backwards to meet him.  The thought of walking backwards felt totally humiliating, but the thought of finishing also sounded so painful.

• Mile 9: 12:38

But just like all my other excuses running out, my plan to quit wasn’t working.  I dug deep and told myself this was happening for a reason, and I searched hard for a second wind to keep going.  I told Casey I would see him at the finish line.  I started running again.  No one made you do this.

• Mile 10: 10:43

A few people had warned me that running on the track could be painful because of the incline of the road.  Right around mile 10 I got a sharp, stabbing pain in my left hip.  I think running on a slanted course had set me off balance for a few miles, and it left me really sore on my left side.  I slowed back down to a walk/run.

• Mile 11: 12:21
  • Mile 12: 13:39

By the time I was into double digits, I still felt completely overheated and drained, but I knew I was going to finish no matter what.  I didn’t care about my time, and I didn’t care that I was walking.  I felt proud that I had overcome a lot of race anxiety, and that I got myself back to the starting line after a two year break.

I promised myself that once I passed the 12-mile marker, I wouldn’t walk again.  I tossed a few final cups of water over my head, and started running for the last time.  The last mile was awesome – checkered flags waving, gorgeous trees lining the street, and so many cheers and smiling faces encouraging us to finish strong.

• Mile 13: 9:50
  • 0.1: 2:06

No one made me do it, but I did it anyway.

2012-05-05_10.26.18 (478x640)

I crossed the finish line in 2 hours and 30 minutes, about half an hour behind my personal best from 2010.  But in that moment, my time felt so irrelevant.  I was proud to be a running and racing mom.  I rushed through the finishers’ corral to find my family.

2012-05-05_10.30.20 (640x480)

Even though I tried to quit several times, I had finished.  I know Cullen has no idea what I did on Saturday, but it mattered to me that he didn’t see me give up.  I want him to grow up cheering us on and feeling proud of his parents’ accomplishments.  I scooped him up and fed him right away.  I was a successful racing, breastfeeding mom, and I was proud.

2012-05-05_10.27.09 (480x640)

I’m not a superstar runner. I am not fast, and many many people finished in front of me. I know plenty of other moms who had babies after me, who are already running faster times, longer distances, and even winning their age groups.  I am just another new mom, trying to figure out how to manage my new life balance, one day and one run at a time.

Even though I had a tough race, I went to bed Saturday with a renewed love for my old sport, and the motivation to work hard and see what I can do as I continue to run in the future.  Despite how much the heat hurt me, I felt pretty good about how my body felt physically during the run.  I think under the right conditions, and with the proper training, I can be back to setting and meeting goals again soon.

One of my big takeaways from this weekend is that I have really missed being part of the running and racing community.  It used to be a huge part of my life, and I hadn’t realized how much I’d missed it until I got it back.

I have seven weeks to get ready for the Seattle Rock N Roll Half Marathon, and I hope that with better training and milder weather, I’ll feel confident to head back to the starting line.  In the meantime, I’m also excited to sign up for shorter distances like 5K’s and 10K’s, and be part of the Seattle racing scene this summer.  My body and my schedule have changed quite a bit, but my cheering squad has changed now too.

IMG_20120505_135150 (640x640)

I tried to quit this race several times, but in the end I finished.  Looking forward to my next trip to the starting line…

Lindsay     at 4:56 pm

Wonderful post! So inspiring! I have a half in November (Disney Wine & Dine) that I am going to attempt to do post-pregnancy (20ish weeks post pregnancy) and your story was really helpful and motivating. I imagine that I will be going close to a 16 minute mile and if I don’t finish that’s okay too.

Kate     at 4:59 pm

Yay Emily! You should be proud!

Meghan     at 5:04 pm

Congrats!! I remember there was a man holding a sign at about mile 22 of my first Flying Pig that said “you are an inspiration”. That sign really inspired me to finish and I have always wanted to cheer people on with that sign in the future.

Courtney     at 5:07 pm

Wow! I’m super impressed! I have three and have nursed each of them for up to 6 months…I cannot believe you were able to run and nurse! You rock!

Kristen     at 5:09 pm

Those cheeks on your son! I die :)

So happy for you. You’re an inspiration. Congratulations, Emily!

Jen     at 5:11 pm

You should be super proud of yourself! Nursing and running is dehydrating enough as it is, I would have died in such hot, humid conditions. I have no doubt that you’ll be back to your old speedy self soon :)

allpointswhole     at 5:12 pm

It was brutal heat. I paced a friend and she had over an hour PR> Wish I wouldve run into you there! Congrats on your courage to go out..

Jane     at 5:18 pm

You are amazing, and you did it!! Congrats!!!

Amy     at 5:20 pm

You are a rock star, Emily! I know we don’t know eachother, but I am so proud of you! I’m a running mama as well, and you inspire me! :)

Renee T     at 5:21 pm

Amazing.. seriously, tears in my eyes. Thanks for also giving me the more motivation I needed. I was waiting to see what you did on Saturday and I’m even more excited to have read this.

Army Amy*     at 5:22 pm

Yeay! Way to go! This is so inspiring, Emily! Way to push through the pain, and the heat, and the mental demons. I’m so excited to see you through this new phase of your running.*

Kelly     at 5:24 pm

I have three kids but started running after they were all born (only a year ago). I often wonder how it will be to come back to running if/when we have another child. I am so inspired by you, great work. I think it’s awesome you finished, and I’m impressed with your time too.

Krystina     at 5:24 pm

What you did took a lot of strength, perseverance and stubbornness. Your time and walking doesn’t take anything away from your accomplishment – 13.1 miles is still amazing.

Liz A     at 5:25 pm

great job, Emily! you are definitely an inspiration to this mama-to-be. :)

Emily     at 5:25 pm

I’ll admit it. I got a little choked up reading your tale. I am proud of you.

Kathryn B     at 5:26 pm

Congrats!! Sounds like a REALLY tough but incredibly rewarding day. Just thinking about the cambered track makes my hips and knees hurt though… agh

Kayla     at 5:27 pm

I just want to tell you I respect the hell out of you, Emily, for your honesty and frankness. I envy a lot of the bloggers out there for being fast and talented runners, and I get angry when they complain about their 11-minute miles being slow. I want to shake them and tell them that there are a lot of people who look up to them and a lot of people who can run only as fast as that, etc. You have to be thankful that you can even run, and you have to take what the race gives you that day and what your body wants to do. You, Emily, have shown that time in and time out, especially since you found out you were expecting. You are a wonderful role model, and so inspiring; I have learned so much along with you and can’t wait for more.
Congratulations on a fabulous weekend!

lynne @lgsmash Reply:

I agree with Kayla! Your honesty is incredible here and it’s what I respect the most about your blog. You didn’t sugar-coat your race, you are honest about being undertrained and not wanting to run, you’re honest and open about the challenges of being a new mom and how your life has changed. Thank you for this! And way to not quit this weekend – Cullen has one tough mama!

jenny     at 5:27 pm

this is SO inspiring. you are an amazing woman, wife, mother, and runner. you rock, emily!

Kelly@runmarun     at 5:30 pm

Congratulations!! Great post Emily- you are awesome and how neat to have your family there with you. Those pictures of Cullen are so, so adorable!

Sana     at 5:31 pm

Cullen looks sooo happy :) Great job Emily!

Elyse     at 5:33 pm

So incredibly inspired by this. Thank you!

Amy     at 5:34 pm

Way to go, mama! What an inspiration you are!

Caroline     at 5:38 pm

This race was a tough one with the heat, intense sunny, and humidity! Not what I trained for either! The track was MISERABLE to run on- the last .5 of a mile of the track I walked because my feet hurt so badly. I thought that track would be fun, but not so much!

I loved the “no one made you do this” sign- it was my favorite too:)

Congrats on fighting and finishing!

Melissa Reply:

Me too! I loved that sign. My other favorite was with the “Your couch: this way!” sign. And the heat…yikes. It was rough.

Congrats, Emily!

Caroline Reply:

I didn’t see the “Your couch: this way” sign, but that’s great too! I love the clever signs:)

Robyn     at 5:41 pm

You go momma! Good for you for starting the race when you didn’t feel like it, and working through it all the way to the finish line!

Tricia     at 5:45 pm

Way to go Em! No matter how fast, or if you wanted to quit. The point is, you showed up. You gave yourself an opportunity! Better to try and fail, than never try at all. Good job for showing your son, to show up even when you are scared!

Simply Life     at 5:48 pm

Love this post! You have one happy cheerleader on the sidelines :)

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef     at 5:48 pm

great job! that course isn’t fun even on “nice” days in my opinion. it takes alot of courage NOT to quit even when it’s hard. this will help you for your next race! congratulations.

Whitney B     at 5:49 pm

Way to go girl!!! Never give up. <3

lee     at 5:51 pm

As someone who is not a runner, I think it’s amazing that you hung in there and kept yourself going to the finish line! Congratulations on the successful run! =)

brandee     at 5:51 pm

I love the mantra “No one made you do this!” Great post!

Jess     at 5:53 pm

Congratulations Emily!! That story is very motivating! I love that quote, “no one made you do it!”

Megan     at 5:59 pm

This is one of my most favorite recaps ever. I so appreciate your determination to finish this race no matter what. Running and motherhood are of the same breed – it’s all one day, one step at a time. Congrats on being a fabulous running mom!

Fructa     at 5:59 pm

Fantastic post. Your honesty is magnificent. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Ash Bear     at 6:02 pm

Congratulations on finishing! If you want to join us, I’m running 2 races when I’m in Seattle the weekend of June 2nd. One is a 8 miler and the other is a 5k!

Alex @ Raw Recovery     at 6:03 pm

I think it is really wonderful that you were able to do this because it took a lot of mental, emotional, and physical strength. I wish that I could be a runner, or an athlete, and the most I have to show for my athletic abilities is making it to the state competition for varsity tennis my senior year in high school five years ago. Ever since I got sick though, I’m scared to get back into exercise because it can easily become an addiction for me. I’m in awe that you didn’t say outright “I’m going to finish it all just because” but you gave yourself outs in case your body wasn’t up to it. That seems very balanced to me and I really admire it. I guess it’s something I have to cultivate but good on ya for knowing when to stop and when to keep going.

Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats     at 6:05 pm

Congratulations!! I was considering signing up for the Seattle Rock N Roll Half Marathon but then I looked at the entry price….>.< I'll have to live it through you. Way to stick to your integrity.

P.s. Cullen is freaking adorable. What a smile!

Kate     at 6:08 pm

Love this post, Emily. I’m due at the end of June and am already anxious about how I’ll get back into any sort of shape. (Walking up the stairs winds me these days.) Thanks for keeping it all in perspective. That little man is lucky to have you.

Bethany     at 6:09 pm

This was such a great post! I became a little emotional at the end – I’m really starting to question my running life post-baby. You’ve given me some inspiration! Thank you! And thanks for being so open and honest about everything you’ve gone through with your pregnancy and after Cullen was born. It’s been very helpful. :)

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama     at 6:12 pm

Wow! That took a lot of guts to run your race and to write this post. Congrats to you for showing that it’s not always easy but determination is a strong power.

Good luck to you! I don’t think you’ll have any problem training now for your next race.

Clare @ Fitting It All In     at 6:14 pm

What an amazing story! You’ll love telling Cullen that when he’s older and he’ll be so proud

Lisa @ The Splattered Apron     at 6:19 pm

I am SO proud of you for sticking with it and crossing the finish line! Now I can’t wait to race!

Brittney @ Brittney Breathing     at 6:19 pm

You should be so proud of yourself!!!!!! It was extremely hot and humid out there…you ran more than I did that day! :)

Susan     at 6:20 pm

Great job!! In time when you look back, finishing that race may be one of your biggest victories! I just did a triathlon and finished almost last, but all of the things I overcame to finish makes me feel so proud I didn’t quit. You did fabulous!!

Silvia @ skinny jeans food     at 6:22 pm

you gave birth for like 50h. I am not surprised you stuck it out with the marathon :-)

Amanda     at 6:22 pm

Awesome job!! Your story is very inspiring. Way to go…you should be very proud of yourself!

Jennifer (The Gourmetour)     at 6:27 pm

Yay!! That’s amazing! Good for you for finishing, but even if you hadn’t it still would have been amazing that you even went out and tried at all! How many people don’t even give it the time of day? Don’t even think about the moms that are newer moms than you and running like crazy. We all live very different lives, and honestly family is more important than running a race will ever be. You’ll get back there if it’s what you really love, but for now live it each day at a time and congratulate yourself for making the last minute decision to go and run, and that last minute decision to finish. That’s even harder than being 100% prepared!! So you’re amazing and please don’t compare yourself to anyone! xo

Christie     at 6:29 pm

I am SOO very proud of you for finishing! I saw the, “I am gonna quit” tweet and was honestly praying you wouldn’t. I just knew you had it in you and could do it! Way to go Emily!

Steph @ 321delish     at 6:32 pm

So glad you finished! Super inspiring post:-) Congrats running mom!

Cherie     at 6:32 pm

you go, girl!!

luv what you do     at 6:34 pm

Congrats on the mental victory. That was an impressive last mile and finish!

kath     at 6:36 pm

13 miles are 13 miles whether you sprinted or crawled!!

Congrats!!

Abby     at 6:40 pm

Good job! SO encouraging how you pushed through… I bet you were sore! wondering if you ever have ate at yats in Indy? or what are places you enjoy in the area… looking for suggestions

Linda     at 6:42 pm

Bravo Emily!! You are inspiring!

Brittany     at 6:48 pm

You should be so proud of yourself!

(And, the picture of you and Casey at the race years ago drinking vs the one you took this weekend was so amazing! Clearly living a sober life has done wonders to both of you!)

Ellen     at 6:55 pm

Congrats Emily! You’re inspirational and you didn’t give up! What I am impressed by is the fact that you’re not trying to compare yourself to other moms and their ability to bounce back so quickly. You’re letting your body do what it should. Thanks for the post! :)

Bailey     at 7:01 pm

Way to go Emily!

Rianne     at 7:03 pm

Congratulations, Emily!! You’re such a rockstar! I will echo the other comments who thanked and applauded you for your honesty. All of my energy is immediately zapped by hot, humid weather – so extra kudos for running in that weather. What a wonderful little face waiting at the finish line. :-) Thank you as usual for being such an inspiring and relatable blogger!

Lee     at 7:07 pm

Congrats Emily!

Rabia     at 7:08 pm

Some day Cullen is going to come across this and think “Wow. My mom is kind of a badass!” Great work!

You never cease to amaze me Emily. It seems like some sort of divine intervention was at play to keep you going throughout this race. Even though you honestly wanted to quit you were able to dig deep and overcome. Very inspirational post!

Carolina     at 7:20 pm

What a great post…really enjoyed your mile by mile, and your thoughts about the progression of your run! Congratulations!

Rebekah     at 7:21 pm

You inspire me. You have no idea who I am, but I follow your blog, and I can relate on many fronts. I used to race. Accidents and children have taken me on a different course, but I miss it so much! You give me hope that someday I might be part of that community again. Congratulations on pushing through!

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker     at 7:22 pm

Great job, Emily! I totally know the excuses game. There are so many things pulling at us these days. But being a part of the running/racing community is such an important part of my life. It’s been hard, but well worth the effort. You’re going to do great with your training. I’ll be here to support you along the way!

Erin     at 7:46 pm

I very rarely comment on posts but this was great. It’s wonderful that you just kept going. This may not have been your best time but due to how hard you had to fight for it, maybe still your best race. Congratulations!

Laura     at 7:52 pm

Thanks for writing this. As a mom of two little boys, I know how hard it is to get back out there. I just finished a half marathon two weeks ago and I was so glad that it’s was over! I think I have finally decided that it’s best for me to stick to the shorter races, it’s too hard to take time away from my family. So, I’m focusing on strength training more (trying to fit in lots of little things here and there) and walking or running a few times a week. So far, it’s been great and I don’t feel the stress of feeling like I have to get in a run.
Good luck to you as continue on this journey! You are doing great!

Katie @ Creature of Habit     at 7:53 pm

Congratulations! This is such a wonderfully inspirational recap

Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More     at 8:03 pm

You did it! I knew you would!!

Cindy     at 8:03 pm

Thank you for writing such an honest post! It is SO inspiring to hear all that you went through! As a mom of a 4 month old, I can sympathize with how hard it is to find time to exercise, but reading this inspires me to push myself a bit more too. Congrats on finishing!!

Megan @ MegGoesNomNom     at 8:15 pm

Amazing! Love reading about your journey. Congratulations on your accomplishment!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie     at 8:40 pm

Wowsers! So glad you finished and are able to feel this accomplishment! I haven’t done much running post baby, just one race, so I can say I’m proud you’re a breastfeeding mama on the track!

Mai     at 8:52 pm

you’re awesome! congrats!

Bonnie     at 9:15 pm

proud of you and i love your referrals ‘ my family ‘
so very precious. you are a winner.

Emily     at 9:32 pm

Congrats! Love your all of your race recaps and they prove that you learn something new from every race. The Seafair Torchlight 8K is a fun race at the end of July! The views from the viaduct definitely keep you going.

Krystle Turner     at 9:35 pm

Well Done!!! You have inspired me to get back into my fitness. I have just signed up to my city’s fun run (Adelaide in South Australia) that is raising money for breast cancer research. Good motivation I think!!!

Well done on your achievements :)

Georgia     at 9:58 pm

You rock totally! I think overcoming the “I can’t go on” feeling is one of the hardest things to do. Congratulations, Emily! :)

Lisa     at 11:20 pm

such a refreshing and honest post. You should be proud of yourself Emily, on so many levels :)

Diane     at 12:36 am

Hope to see you at the Rock n Roll half!

Jeanelle @ Glocal Girl     at 1:16 am

That last picture is just precious… you are AWESOME Emily! Congrats on finishing!

Hayley @ Oat Couture     at 2:32 am

I felt a little emotional reading this! Well done Emily! Your a massive inspiration! If you can do all of that just after giving birth, and in that heat then I have absolutely no excuse! :)

Erica     at 3:15 am

As someone who is very new to running – and getting very discouraged that I still can’t finish a mile straight – thank you for such an honest, and inspiring, post!

Heidi     at 3:57 am

This post made me cry! I could totally relate. I’m struggling to get back into running after my 2nd baby. I find it SO difficult to find the time. Yesterday I went for a run after work. It was 80 degrees. I was dehydrated from coming off a 3 day long stomach flu and I quit after 2.5 miles. I was thinking of giving up, but after reading this post I think I’ll stick with it and see if I can get back into shape. Maybe signing up for a race will motivate me!

Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover!     at 3:58 am

(not sure if i’ve commented before, but i’ve been reading your blog for a few months now – if not, hi!)
This is truly inspirational! I must admit I got a bit emotional reading about how your little boy kept you going. Amazing job, Cullen will be *so* proud to hear this story one day.

Julie @ Swim, Bike, Running on Empty     at 4:05 am

Congratulations on quite an accomplishment! I am a firm believer that anyone who can finish a race at any time is a champion. It takes a lot of guts out there and you didn’t turn back! I’m sure your boys were super proud of you!

PS – LOVE the tank top you’re wearing, too! What brand is it?

Maya     at 4:25 am

Good for you! Our babies are the same age, and I’m setting a lot of shorter distance goals because getting in long runs isn’t working for my non-bottle-taking girl either. (She’s also on a jogging stroller strike now!) I did recently run an ultra relay– the total distance was more than a half marathon (23.5 K) but it felt a lot easier, and my husband and I could both run and take care of the baby because we were on the same time! Could be something fun for you and your husband to consider!

CONGRATULATIONS!! This was one of the most inspirational race reports I’ve ever read.

MIDTAD     at 4:32 am

Thanks so much for the inspiration. I am doing my first 1/2 in 3 weeks in Boston and was feeling so discouraged because after 10 weeks of training I still can’t break a 10-10.5 minute mile. All I ever seem to read about are people who run fast and furious – not people like me – 43 and 20 pounds to loose. I was feeling like I want to back out. Your honesty and real-ness gives me hope I can do this and even if I plod along it is just fine being where I am at – THANKS!

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed     at 4:42 am

Cullen is SO photogenic, what a cutie! Congrats on your race, way to push through :)

Katie     at 4:48 am

Congrats Emily!!! You’re so strong and you didn’t give up! This post was so inspiring. My husband and I are traveling from Northern VA to Seattle in June to run the Rock & Roll races (he’s doing the full, I’m doing the half). I can’t wait to see the city! I’ll keep an eye out for you and your beautiful family :)

Emily (Edible Psychology)     at 4:52 am

You are such an inspiration, and such an amazing writer! You had me practically in tears sitting at my desk during my lunch break. And now all I want to do is run!

Congratulations!!!

~Emily~

SB     at 4:58 am

Well done, you should be very proud of yourself. But, I do think it is okay for our children to see us quit/give up/fail (whatever you want to call it). We don’t need to succeed at everything we do and it is good for them to know that if something isn’t working out/isn’t what you thought, that it is okay to stop. And know that your family will still love you and be there for you. I am not sure I explaining myself well !

Steph M.     at 5:18 am

Well done Emily! You should definitely feel proud!

Sara     at 5:36 am

Well that gave me warm fuzzies and inspired me. Thanks for sharing and great job!

Errign     at 5:42 am

Good for you Emily for doing what makes you happy :) You should certainly be proud of yourself – you’re awesome!

Kristina     at 5:58 am

I’m running a 10k this weekend. It will be my first race in a year. Your post reminded me that I don’t have to out run anyone else, I can just run the best I can that morning. I’m doing it for myself. Thanks for the reminder, Emily!

Rachel     at 6:03 am

Congratulations on the half marathon!

When I lived in Seattle, one of the biggest struggles I faced with running was training in the cool climate and then racing in hot weather. It’s so easy to get used to 50* temps! I found that doing a hard run on a treadmill every week or two helped. Sweating it out indoors is at least somewhat similar to summer weather elsewhere, and if nothing else it gave me confidence on race day.

Sharon     at 6:08 am

I love the honesty of this post! I’m so inspired by you. You should be very proud!

Aimee     at 6:19 am

With you sister!! I waited to see what you ended up doing and cried when I read this. Having children is one of those few things that changes every aspect of our being. Congrats Mama!

Leah     at 6:20 am

Emily, this post made me get all teary-eyed during my breakfast. :) Thanks for sharing your story every mile of the race. Totally set my tone for the whole day.

ashley rebekah     at 6:26 am

“I am just another new mom, trying to figure out how to manage my new life balance, one day and one run at a time.”

oh, dear sweet emily – “just” nothing! you did it. and you rocked it in the face. one foot in front of the other, mama. way to go!

Shaunna Ulrick     at 6:45 am

Great job! :)

Gretchen @ Honey, I Shrunk the Gretchen!     at 6:54 am

This post makes me love you so much, Emily. You are so REAL and the fact that you finished in spite of every fiber of your being wanting to give up? That is INSPIRING, my friend! I know that Cullen doesn’t really know what was going on at the time, but imagine how different your own attitude would have been at the end if you hadn’t finished. I imagine he would have certainly picked up on that!

Great job, mama!!

Andrea     at 6:57 am

What an emotional post! I feel so proud of you (in a never met you in real life, cyberspace sort of way…). The worst thing you could ever do is compare yourself to others, so forget about all those other Moms, and just concentrate on yourself! What you did is amazing. Congrats!

Kelly     at 7:02 am

Loved this post!! :)

Rachel Hale     at 7:11 am

I think that is amazing. You did great. I felt your pain all the way through! The heat is especially hard on me with my fibromyalgia and other problems! So it was very inspiring when you kept going!! Good for you! Cullen is such a cutie pie too!!

Nikki T     at 7:15 am

Great post Emily!! Awesome job on the race!! I think Cullen was super proud of his Mama! :)

kdiddy     at 7:19 am

Hooray for you! That’s awesome! I know it’s hard not to compare yourself to other people, but know that those differences in pace and recovery and whatnot don’t matter nearly as much as just getting out there and doing it. That’s so much harder and you crushed that part.

Christine     at 7:19 am

This post was so inspiring! It is amazing to hear a blogger write about a half-marathon experience that was a struggle, yet a success in the end – it feels real and I can relate. Thank you so much for sharing!

Theodora     at 7:29 am

Definitely teared up reading this. I must say though, when I saw your tweet saying you were going to quit, I knew you’d find a way to dig deep for this. CONGRATS!!!

Annette     at 7:46 am

Proud of you.

Hannah     at 8:12 am

Congatulations Emily!! I had tears in my eyes reading this, I love how real you are! I think this was a really insirational post, thank you!!

Also, Cullen is so cute I can’t handle his little cheeks!!!

Tiffany     at 8:26 am

Way to go! This is an incredibly inspiring post. So proud of you. Thank you for sharing this with us!

deva at deva by definition     at 8:29 am

Thank you for thsi post – I ran the Flying Pig Half yesterday after 16 weeks of training. The humidity was my downfall – I finished in 2:52. I realized at mile four that I was probably going to have a slow race, but I chose to run it, and I chose to finish it. I’m glad you pulled through – but it sounds like you had a tough go!

Theresa     at 8:42 am

This was such a great post, almost brought me to tears! You’re an excellent writer and so motivational! Congratulations! Little Cullen is so cute and smiley, proud of his mamma!

Claire     at 8:44 am

I loved reading this post. I am so impressed and inspired! :)

Malia Austin     at 8:45 am

Congrats!! I think you did and amazing job. I did my first half marathon in November 2010 and finished at 2:29. It took all I had to cross that finish line. YOU DID IT!!! You have given me inspiration to start running again. Thank you for that.

jen     at 8:46 am

i’m delurking to say congrats! the whole time i was reading this post, I was thinking – i know emily finished! she doesn’t give up! :)
so inspiring to read, as a runner and future mother!

LIZ     at 8:47 am

You are amazing and such an inspiration!!! And there may have been people on froyount of kut im positive there were a ton of people behind you!

LIZ     at 8:48 am

You are amazing and such an inspiration!!! And there may have been people on front of you but i’m positive there were a ton of people behind you! And then there arevall hose people who didnt even make it off the couch that day. you rock!

Julie (A Case of the Runs)     at 8:51 am

Awesome! You did it, who cares about the time or what times you did in the past — things are different now, and yet you did it in spite of that icky heat. Just getting out there and doing it = the best!

Julie     at 8:53 am

This post brought tears to my eyes several times. I also LOVE when you post pics of Cullen’s big happy grins – they are AWESOME! :)

Carol @ Lucky Zucca     at 8:59 am

I think it is great what you did!! I ran my first half a few weeks ago and finished slower than you (2:39) and I am not a new mom (just a new-ish runner)! The heat was brutal for our race too. It is hard to adapt when your training conditions were so different. At least you finished! That is what I keep telling myself. I am really impressed and think you did a fabulous job. Way to go!

Fran     at 9:06 am

Congratulations Emily! You are setting such a wonderful example, not only for Cullen but for moms. I was normally an “all or nothing” girl before becoming a mother. I have learned I have to modify my expectations, especially if I want to be a good mom, a good professional, and a good “athlete.” Best of luck training for your next half-marathon. And Happy Mother’s Day!!!

Gina     at 9:28 am

What a great story, congrats on your accomplishment! Pushing the jogging stroller as you train for Seattle R&R will no doubt help with the evil hills;)

Sarah     at 9:32 am

What a great and motivational post! There are so many instances that we can just stop but that feeling when you make it after pushing through is unmatched.

Congrats on a great run!

Jaime D     at 10:21 am

Congrats! Great job finishing that race in that heat! My first thought when I saw the picture of you was “omg, she is wearing black too!” I’m sure that didn’t help keep you any cooler! Love the picture of Cullen – he is such a cutie!

jennifer     at 10:29 am

Ok I LOVE this post! My son is 1 day older than Cullen & i can totally relate to finding balance & trying to be a great mom while also finding time to do something you love which is so hard sometimes! I am running the seattle rock & roll too! Maybe we will run into each other on the course & chat about all things baby!!! :)

Stefanie     at 10:49 am

I am so happy that you finished. Enjoy your family and some rest.

Angela     at 11:22 am

What a great story! Congrats on running and completing your race. Cullen sure looks proud of his mommy!!!

Katie     at 11:29 am

Wow!! You had SO many reasons not to do it and to not feel guilty for not doing it…… and yet you still did it!!!! AMAZING! This is a message of determination and strength. You are an inspiration. Reading these blogs I often feel like I can’t relate – the bloggers seem like these perfect people that can cook/bake, workout like a madwoman etc… Thanks for such an honest and heart warming post!!

Leah     at 11:48 am

Congratulations! Celebrate and embrace this accomplishment, you deserve it!

Tameika     at 11:51 am

So proud of you! You ROCK! You just needed to get this first one behind you. Keep fighting.

Natalie     at 12:11 pm

You should be so proud! I kept up with you through your tweets and was so excited to see that you finished! You should just put Cullen at the finish line of all your races from now on…how could you not want to finish to see his smile?! He is the cutest, smiliest little boy I have ever seen! Congrats!

Shannon Bell     at 1:13 pm

Proud of you too! I always love reading your posts because you’re so honest and that mental struggle is somewhere we’ve all been several times. You did great and that sweet little baby of yours is just SO adorable!

Adri @FoodieBeFit     at 1:34 pm

Congrats on finishing strong! And welcome to the runner moms club! Been enjoying all the food around here, can’t wait to hear about your running adventures too!

becca @ bellebottoms     at 2:10 pm

so encouraging! thanks for the post today, it is inspiring me to get back out there after i had to back out of my last half due to health issues…

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie     at 3:51 pm

This was so inspiring to read. Thank you so much for being so honest and real about getting back into fitness after a baby. You are really strong! <3

Lea @ Healthy Coconut     at 4:15 pm

Thanks for writing about this race and for being so honest about everything.

I totally agree about being grateful that are able to run and use that mind set whenever things get tough. I have enjoyed reading about your journey and motherhood. I feel like you are preparing me for what the future will be like.

Carol     at 4:27 pm

Congrats. What an inspiration!

Jessie     at 4:55 pm

This just brought tears to my eyes. I totally play this game with myself too, I’m gonna quit after x, I can’t finish… Then when you DO finish, such a wonderful feeling! Congrats on an amazing race!

RJ     at 5:30 pm

What a fantastic post! Loved the mental play by play – so honest – I was cheering for you the whole time I was reading! So much of life is the mental toughness to hang in there when things get hard. You are such an inspiration!

Emily J     at 6:01 pm

Wonderful! I’m so proud of you! You are an inspiration.

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats     at 6:41 pm

What an amazing story! :) Definitely inspiring. You’re a rockstar!

Jacquelyn     at 7:47 pm

Great job!!! Cullen will be in awe when he reads these stories later. I love your top. Where is it from?

alex     at 7:56 pm

great post! I agree, once you get back out there you just want to get back out there. I have missed running since I’ve been pregnant and I’m bummed to be missing the Rock n roll this year…you’ll love it!

Ashley @ Freckles & Spice     at 11:37 pm

Your blog was the first healthy living type blog I started reading. I began reading back in November -ish 2010 around your accident time. When I think about everything you’ve been through and all the changes for you in the last year and half, I cannot help but be inspired. While this race was not your first half, it was a whole new level of challenges and training for you. Congrats! And good luck the next.

Katy     at 11:38 pm

you made it! I’ve always given up after a tough run, but you’ve inspired me to just.keep.going.

woo hoo!

Casie     at 5:04 am

You’re awesome!

Hilary     at 5:44 am

What an inspirational post! I am so proud of you and your accomplishments! You inspire me to keep going (even with walking breaks) on my hardest runs

Emily     at 8:09 am

You are truly amazing! This post is so inspiring. I love what you said about Cullen not knowing what you did, but wanting to show him that his parents work hard and don’t give up – that’s so important, and as he gets older he will see it and learn from your examples!

PaigeP     at 8:33 am

That is fabulous!!!!!

Timmery     at 10:08 am

Huge congrats!! What an inspirational story!

Kim @ HealthyNest     at 10:54 am

Yay congratulations! So happy for you! You’re a huge inspiration to us other breastfeeding, hope-to-be racing moms! :)

Mollie     at 12:55 pm

Congrats! I love reading your blog. Everytime you write about a race, it makes me so emotional. You are an incredible writer. I found your blog not long after I decided to lose some weight and it really sparked my interest in running. Since December of last year, I have run 4 5ks and 1 10k. I hope to run a half later this year. I look forward to hearing about you and Casey’s races. On a side note, do you mind sharing what kind of top it is that you running in? I like the loose look – the tops I have are SO tight! Thanks and congrats on your race!!

Leah @ DeLeahLicious     at 7:37 pm

The way you tell your stories through your blog posts is truly inspiring, Emily!

Jess     at 8:13 am

Congratulations on finishing a tough race. I am also proud to be a running, racing, breastfeeding mom. :-)

Monica     at 9:07 am

Emily!!!!!!! This is incredible and I am so proud of you! It is hard enough for me to coordinate breast feeding and spin class, but you ran an entire half and still got the good stuff in your son’s tummy. You are so inspiring!

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Seattle’s Best 15K Race Recap.     at 11:30 am

[...] got my number and got ready to run!  After a bad half-marathon, followed by a great 5k, I wasn’t really sure what to expect.  Most of my weekday running [...]