The Move Continues.

So after what was sort of the move from hell, we did eventually make it over to our new place.  Our poor movers were so tired by the time they got to the new house.  It went from empty, to suddenly filled with boxes and furniture in no time.

My first day in my new kitchen!  I’ll try to give a more formal tour of the kitchen space once we’re settled.  It is big and gorgeous!

Once the movers were finished, we got to work putting things back together…

We started unpacking pretty much right away!  My mom unpacked the entire kitchen onto the countertops, while I tried to organize and figure out how to set things up.  I absolutely love organizing, but I take forever to figure out how I want spaces to flow and function.  I must have rearranged the cabinets five times, and I’m still not sure I’m done!

The next day, we woke up and got to work right away.  We ran a lot of house-related errands, went back to our old place and scrubbed it for hoouuurs and hours, and then headed out to the dog ranch to pick up the rest of our family.

The pups were definitely weirded out by the new space, and probably confused to see all our things in it, but they settled in pretty quickly.  One of the most fun parts of this move is that we can finally use our giant living room couch again!  (It didn’t fit up the stairs during our last move, and has lived wrapped in plastic in our garage for the past year!)

At some point during the weekend, I got really ambitious and decided I wanted to do some painting before we actually got settled (figuring it would be easier without furniture in place).  And then after hours of exhausting work later, I realized that painting was probably going to have to wait.

We have moved many times, but this one was so different now because of Cullen.  During past transitions I’ve always pulled long days, worked late into the night, and had our place unpacked and settled within just a few days.  This time, I’ve had to just admit that I can only do so much, and I’m trying to just take it one project and box at a time.  It will all happen eventually.

Speaking of Cullen, he loves the new house!

We have a lot more space here and room for him to crawl and roam, and he’s taking full advantage and exploring every inch that he can get to.

And also performing new tricks (he’s sitting up now!).

Casey headed back to work on Monday, and mom and I continued to tackle the boxes.  While Cullen napped, we did the bedroom closets.  It took us almost the entire day to get the master bedroom set up!

And in between naps, Cullen got to play with Grandma.  No matter how often we try to visit, it just never feels like it can be enough.  I wish they could play together every day!

The other babies are adjusting too.  They love their new yard, and I think they will love the space once it’s settled.  For now I think they are still a bit wary of the mess and the boxes.

My mom took the red-eye home Monday night, and I did my best to keep from crying the whole way home from the airport.  When I lived in Cincinnati, she was just blocks away and we saw each other almost every day.  Our whole family is close, but the two of us went through some really tough times together, and it left us with a really special bond.  I love her so much!

And now it is just us three, settling in and trying to feel out our new digs.  We still need to do a lot more unpacking, but so far it feels great!

A few people asked me about our moving boxes in my last post, so I thought it was worth mentioning since I think it’s a great concept.  Rather than using cardboard moving boxes, we actually rented reusable boxes from a company here in Seattle called KarmaBoxx

When we moved to Seattle we had a million cardboard boxes, and it took us about 20 trips to the recycling center to get rid of all of them.  It felt like such a huge waste!  I was thrilled when I found Karmaboxx – renting and reusing boxes is such a great eco-friendly way to move.  They drop them off and pick them up, and you choose how many and how long you want them.  It was very affordable, and I’d definitely use them again!

Even though this should be our first weekend in the new place, we’re actually getting on a plane tomorrow to head back to the Midwest for a racing weekend!  Updates on that tomorrow…

What a cool idea! I didn’t even know that there were places with reusable moving boxes. So totally jealous of that amazing kitchen too!

Tammy     at 11:23 pm

What a beautiful kitchen – yay you! Congrats on the move… hope you are feeling better!

Maiyan     at 11:25 pm

What an amazing idea for reusable packing boxes! What a shame that they don’t get to southern california. I googled though and if anybody is interested, apparently http://www.rentagreenbox.com/ does the same thing. I haven’t used them so I can’t vouch but will hopefully try them on my next move.

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie     at 11:27 pm

I’m so glad you guys made it through the move and that cullen got to spend time with his grandma! And omg ur house looks amazing!! That is my dream kitchen, I love all the white!

Jeanelle @ Glocal Girl     at 11:50 pm

what an amazing kitchen! they just dont come like that in Europe :( mine is so small and i miss my big US sized space!

anyway, congrats on the move and take it easy, mama!

erica     at 1:30 am

your kitchen looks gorgeous! can’t wait to see how it all looks when you get it how you want it!

love the karma box idea!!

Sara @ Nik Naks and Noms     at 3:18 am

My husband and I are moving this summer (probably to Washington!) and I will have to see if Georgia has something like Karmaboxx, that sounds awesome. When we moved to Georgia we also had a million cardboard boxes, so wasteful!

Erica     at 3:20 am

That box idea is just fantastic! I’m going to look and see if there is anything similar in our area since I tend to move yearly …. if not, I may have a new business scheme ;)

Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats     at 4:33 am

Your new place looks big and gorgeous! I hope you are getting enough rest and recovering from being sick!

Shari     at 4:35 am

Just reading all that makes me tired! It looks like the house is more than worth it, though – what a lovely place. Best wishes to you all in your new home!

Rachel     at 4:38 am

Can’t wait to see more of your new place. Looks gorgeous!

I am doing the mini marathon this weekend as well. Getting worried about the HOT weather conditions!!

Sarah w     at 5:01 am

Are u still renting? painting is alot of time and energy if u are only renting. Was just curious.

Lee     at 5:15 am

My dog was totally weirded out when we moved into our current house. They’re funny like that.

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count     at 5:19 am

That box idea is great! Wonder if they’re anywhere else in the country? Thanks for the idea, Emily!

Lauren     at 5:23 am

I am so interested in the box idea. I hope they have one here in LA. Your kitchen is gorgeous. Congratulations on the new place and surviving while sick with a baby in tow. You deserve a medal ;) that is not easy.

Sarah     at 5:27 am

Beautiful house and beautiful baby! I also like your hair in a side-pony. You almost look too young to be a mamma like that. :)

Simply Life     at 5:28 am

Good luck! I hope the rest of the move goes well! Soon enough, you’ll be settled in and resting in your new (organized) place!!

Allison K     at 5:44 am

Cullen just gets cuter and cuter! Also, I know we are going to have to move for my husbands job while we have a baby under one. The baby isn’t even here yet ( this week for sure!) and I am already dreading it!

Danielle     at 5:45 am

Your new kitchen and house look beautiful! Can’t wait to see more of it. Good luck with the rest of unpacking. Reusable moving boxes is a really great idea.

Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction     at 5:58 am

Your house looks nice and spacious! I wish you the best of luck and have fun decorating!!

Kate     at 6:01 am

So did you decide to buy a house? I know you guys were big fans of renting in your previous cities! (Hubs and I just sold ours to become renters. Loving it!!!)

Leah @ Chocolate and Wild Air     at 6:01 am

Looks great so far, can’t wait to see the finished product!! Good luck to everyone racing this weekend!

Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life)     at 6:36 am

Cullen looks so happy in his new place and I can’t wait to get the full kitchen tour- so beautiful! The karma boxes are pretty neat. We aren’t planning on moving anytime soon, but I’ll certainly recommend them to others.

You’ll be settled soon :)

Katie @ Soulshine and Sassafras     at 6:37 am

I use reusable boxes when I move, too, and I like them so much more than cardboard. They’re stronger, so you can fill them with a lot more stuff! And they’re more environmentally friendly :)

Kathy     at 6:46 am

I too was wondering if you bought a house or are renting? I know you moved several times for hubs job, but why move across town? Would LOVE to have a huge kitchen like that. I have a small galley kitchen. Really small… course I don’t cook as much as you do, so it works. Anxious to see the rest of the place all finished. Congrats!

Marty Reply:

I think Emily said they bought it.

Ashley     at 6:49 am

Looking good, Emily! And you are right, it will all get done eventually. Just take your time. :) So glad your mom was able to come out.

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma)     at 7:09 am

reusable moving boxes?! That is awesome! Can’t wait to see a tour of the new house. It looks really nice!

Rebecca @ Miss Magnolia Munches & Moves     at 7:11 am

Beautiful kitchen! I can’t wait to see more. Good luck at the races.

clare @ fittingitallin     at 7:22 am

1. The new kitchen looks AMAZING. Can’t wait for a full tour
2. I miss my mom SO MUCH. Now that she’s in STL and I’m in Texas we don’t get to see each other that much. I’m so lucky I get to spend this weekend with her, but that almost just makes it worse when she leaves again…

Lindsay @ LindsayInNYC     at 7:29 am

It’s funny, I was wondering about your moving “boxes” too and then this morning on the subway, I saw an ad for a NYC company that’s essentially the same thing. Definitely bookmarking that for when we move next year!!

Heidi from BundlesofHugs     at 7:31 am

Congratulations on your new home! You must be very excited. We’ll all be waiting patiently for the grand tour once you’re all settled in. Have fun!

Rianne     at 7:40 am

I love the reusable moving box idea! Your new home looks gorgeous – Kirkland is such a pretty area. I can’t wait to watch you guys settle in. Cullen has the most contagious smile! I’m so glad you got a chance to spend time with your mom. My mom is on the other side of the country, too, and there’s never enough “mom” time and the goodbyes are always so tough. Thank goodness for phones and airplanes! :-)

Samantha @ My Full Life     at 7:50 am

How did you manage the logistics of moving with Cullen? I am due on Monday and we have to move in slightly over a month. Moving with a brand new baby is going to be so difficult and I’m stressed! I know I will want to help move boxes, etc., but also need to watch the little guy.

Leah     at 8:25 am

Those boxes are used for office moves (I’ve been through several!) and I had no idea you can use them for home moves!! Thanks for posting!

Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More     at 8:46 am

Love the reusable boxes idea. Also love that it would force me to unpack much quicker!

Alex @ Raw Recovery     at 8:52 am

I’m so excited to see how you decorate your new place! I love the idea of the boxes and hopefully I can find something similar when I end up moving! Safe travels!

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed     at 10:03 am

Those boxes are great! I feel like there’s so many times we can continue to be green that haven’t even been thought of by the general public yet.

That’s so awesome that your mom came out to help. Hope the rest of the unpacking goes smoothly. Can’t wait to see your kitchen tour, looks beautiful.

Jenny     at 10:15 am

The reusable moving boxes are such a great idea!! I hope I hope I hope that more people catch on. We’re moving from outside of Portland to San Diego next year, and I’m going to be sad if we have to use cardboard again. (Though I get them on freecycle or free on craiglist and then give them away to other people afterwards, but it’s a pain to carry them and a pain to tape them up.)

Sarah     at 10:28 am

You don’t have to recycle moving boxes, FWIW. Plenty of people would be more than happy to have them if you list them on Craigslist. Hence: reusable.

lee     at 10:38 am

I have lived in my current apartment for almost four years, and I still have moments when I open the kitchen cupboards and think, “is this really the best way to organize everything in here?”…nice to know others are equally as particular. Speaking of kitchens…yours looks lovely! Can’t wait to see more sometime. =)

Sarah K     at 10:52 am

oh my goodness that smile of his!

Meagan     at 11:43 am

I like the house so far – it looks like a good one :) Cullen is getting really cute! He will definitely like the space.

A tip for the kitchen — when I was moving into my apartment I had to figure out where to put things too. What I did was get a large sticky note and write down the name of the item inside the cabinet (blender, glasses, plates, miscellaneous, junk drawer, silverware… etc.) Before totally unpacking, I put notes over the whole kitchen, drawers included, and if I didn’t like it, I simply moved the stickies. It was so great to not have to unpack everything and then have to move the stuff around. All I had to do was move the sticky notes until I liked the flow

Hope this helps!

Carrie     at 11:45 am

I really love the idea of reusable moving boxes! And WOW – am I ever jealous of your new kitchen!

Steph @ funnygirltales     at 11:46 am

Holy kitchen! Wow, is yours ever beautiful. My dream kitchen is also white and I’d like to decorate it with blue and green glass bottles and accents. Maybe a little beachy for Michigan but I love beachy decor. So glad you got some time with your Mom, it sounds like we’ve been through some very similar things with regard to family. But I am so grateful that the tough times have brought my Mom, my three little sisters and I even closer.

Thanks for sharing :)

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama     at 11:46 am

I almost shed a tear when you mentioned taking your mom to the airport. My parents live in Michigan and we are in New Hampshire. We don’t get to see them nearly enough. I wish my twins could play with their grandparents every day, too!

Whitney     at 1:01 pm

Can’t wait to see the house tour! Looks pretty!

I can’t even imagine living so far away from family. I am such a homebody and so thankful my parents live only ten minutes down the road. I’ve already told my mom I’m not having children until she retires..and I’m not kidding :)

Jamie @ FoodinRealLife     at 1:07 pm

Your new house looks gorgeous! Congrats! I understand what it is like missing your mom with the new baby. I wish mine was closer too, it’s tough. :(

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries     at 3:32 pm

gahhh i can just never get over how cute baby cullen is. :) glad things are coming together in your new home! i’m sure your mom being there was a lifesaver!

Stacey     at 6:26 pm

I’m flying into Cincinnati tomorrow too :) Maybe I’ll bump into you guys at the Expo! And is that the Malika rug from Pottery Barn I spot Cullen performing tricks on? I work there and it looks very much like it! Good choice. I love pale blue and rust colors together.

Madeline @ Food, Fitness & Family     at 6:57 pm

Oh girl so many parallels to you right now! We too just moved with Emmalyne and I am used to staying up late and having the house ready right away and that’s just not the case this time. On top of that our family is across the country too. Thinking about you!

Coco     at 5:00 am

The kitchen looks like its going to be amazing!!! I’m so glad that Cullen loves the new place :) and I can’t wait to see a tour! Your such a trooper, hope you feel better soon!

Abby @ Change of Pace     at 7:27 am

Your new house looks amazing. I love that window bench in the first photo.
That’s so special your mom came to help. I’m sure she loved it as much as you did.
Lastly, Cullen looks like such a strong little man! I adore the photos of him.

David Haas     at 11:35 am

Hi,
I have a quick question about your blog, do you think you could email me?
David

Abby T     at 7:10 pm

I love your kitchen! I cannot wait to see the final product and what colors you picked. Cullen is turning quite handsome and your pictures are soo good at capturing his personality. Hope you get a little time to relax in these next few days and soak up the experience of moving and creating your own new space.

Marty     at 7:49 pm

Love, love and so jealous of your new kitchen! I bet it was a huge deciding factor in buying your new home! And love Cullen’s smiley face! I can’t wait to see the rest of your new abode. Congratulations! A wonderful permanent family settling into the NW!

alex     at 7:23 pm

i want to move into your kitchen!

Elf Moving Boxes West Palm Beach     at 12:59 pm

Hey Emily! I notice that some of your commenters are asking about plastic moving boxes in other cities. Last month my Dad and I launched a company that rents moving boxes too. Ours is in Palm Beach County, Florida. As part of setting it up I spoke to a number of companies that do this, including Karmabox, and they were extremely helpful with advice and guidance. It seems like such a great idea and I really hope that others are as passionate about it as you are. Cheers,