2012 Vancouver USA Marathon Recap.

After a night of restless sleep with a squirmy snoring baby right next to me, marathon morning came very early.  We all tiptoed around in the dark until the last possible moment, and woke Cullen up just before we headed out to the race.

We wished Casey good luck and dropped him at the starting line, and then headed out to our first cheer spot along the course.  Having spectated many races in the past, it is always my goal to make it to as many spots as possible to give support.

Sarah, Cullen, and I drove to mile 4 for some early cheering.  We saw the runners come through and Casey looked happy and strong.  Our original plan was to stay in the same spot and watch them run past again (it was an out an back) at mile 11, but I was afraid my car was going to get trapped by the wall of runners.

We headed back toward the center of the course in a cute little neighborhood.  This was a smaller race than I’m used to (about 800 full marathon runners), and I was amazed at how empty the streets were at 7am.

Like, seriously empty.  Not a car or person in sight!

IMG_3422 (640x427)IMG_3424 (640x427)

We did manage to find an open coffee shop for some much needed refreshments.  Coffee and chocolate chunk cookies.  Yum.

While we waited I looked over the map and came up with our spectating strategy.  Cullen was a total champ being carted around in the car seat and stroller all morning when he would usually be napping!

We finally saw Casey again right before mile 15.  It had warmed up quite a bit, but he still looked like he was going strong and seemed like he was on pace.

As he came around the corner he ran straight toward us and gave Cullen a big kiss.  I melted.

And we watched him head back off!

We headed to our next spot just a few blocks over – and about 2 miles later on the race course.  I tried to make sure to keep Cullen in the stroller while we waited (and out of the hot sun), and pull him out just before Casey passed so he could help us wave and cheer for him.

Mile 16 and looking good!

Waving as he passed…

Our next cheer spot was a bit trickier.  We drove down to the bottom turn-a-round on the course at mile 21.5.  I knew Casey would need extra cheering and motivation during those tough last miles.  We got to the spot early and sat in the car while Cullen napped.

Since we’d been to a few other spots, we recognized a few runners just in front of Casey, so we knew when to expect him to be coming through.  I had just crawled into the backseat to feed Cullen when we saw the familiar faces signaling that Casey would be coming soon.

My options were to miss Casey going by, squirt milk everywhere, or jump out of the car with a baby attached to my boob.  I’ve pretty much lost all modesty these past seven months, so I went with option number three.  A quick toss of a blanket over my shoulder, and I was in the middle of the road yelling, cheering, and breastfeeding.  Why not?

Casey nodded his head that he wasn’t feeling it anymore, which just made me cheer louder.  I hadn’t seen a pace group at all yet, so I had no idea what sort of pace he was running.  As he came toward us, I finally saw the 3:20 pace group just behind him.  I yelled out to him that they were there and told him to stay in front of them!

Cullen finished up his lunch, and we jumped back in the car to meet him a few miles later.  At mile 23, I gave him some shot blocks and reminded him that you are supposed to feel like complete crap at the end of a marathon.  Just keep running!  I felt bad for him.  It was probably only 70 degrees outside, but the course was in full, hot sun and all the runners were drenched and sunburned.

I can’t say enough good things about the Vancouver USA Marathon.  Casey and I both agreed – as both a runner and a spectator – it was a fabulous race.  We headed over to the finish and got there just in time to see him heading down the final stretch!

A 3:28 finish and 49th place overall.  A Happy Father’s Day indeed.

We were so proud of him!

We’ve been running and racing for years now, but working out how to train and race as new parents sometimes feels like figuring out a totally new sport.  Whether it is pushing a stroller up a huge hill, running on a treadmill at 5am, or breastfeeding on the sidelines of a race course – day by day we’re figuring out how to combine our love of running with our roles as parents.  Casey ran every single one of his weekday training runs on a treadmill during his lunch break.  I’m so proud of him for sticking with it and running a great race.

Never say never, but we’re both thinking about focusing on shorter, faster distances for a while, and leaving the distance running until we get a little more established with this whole parenting thing.  (That’s after the half marathon I’m running on Saturday. Gulp.)  I’d love to see how it feels to actually train for speed!

When I was pregnant we often talked about how we wanted our kids to grow up cheering for us at races on weekend mornings.  It has been so fun to watch that dream come to life.  I hope we can be healthy, active role models for Cullen!

Casey’s 8th marathon is in the books.  If it hadn’t been such a last minute race, I would have made some sort of awesome onesie for Cullen to wear as we cheered.  Luckily I had another gift waiting back at home.

There is no better joy than watching your husband become a dad, and I felt really proud to cheer for him on Sunday morning.  Congrats, Casey!

Meagan     at 4:12 pm

What a great race! I’m so glad for you both that Cullen was such a trooper! It definitely made all the difference I bet :)

And Emily, I will be moving to Seattle to attend Bastyr, which is close to you! If you would like to connect, I’d love to meet you! :)

Cait @ Beyond Bananas     at 4:19 pm

You and Casey are fantastic healthy role models for Cullen indeed! Great race to Casey – and an awesome recap by you! I love the Father’s Day gift as well! Too cute!

Megan     at 4:24 pm

Such a great recap of Casey’s race! Congrats to him, and Happy Father’s Day, too! I really enjoyed this post, especially the part at the end about having Cullen cheering Casey on and incorporating him into your lifestyle. We have the same hopes for our daughter, and in fact she’ll be in tow this weekend at the Seattle half! Nothing like a cross-country race with a 5 month old. Hope to see you there!

Betsy     at 4:29 pm

My bestie is a marathon runner and I am a proud marathon spectator as well. Yay for Casey! Congrats!

Red Deception     at 4:43 pm

That is a wonderful dream come true. If I was having children, I would be so proud to pass on a healthy lifestyle to him or her.

Jessica     at 5:01 pm

Holy crap, 49th is awesome! You all look so happy!
What an adorable father’s day gift!

Julie (A Case of the Runs)     at 5:03 pm

That gift is so cute!! I’ll probably steal this idea later! =)

Great recap… spectating is HARD! I’ve done it a few times, biking around, and even without a baby, it’s a workout in itself.

Leslie     at 5:11 pm

Such a cute family you all are. Emily look so tiny!

Leslie     at 5:14 pm

Oops I meant to say you look so tiny.

Katie     at 5:14 pm

That frame is too cute, what a great idea! Congrats to Casey, you guys are truly an inspiration for healthy families!

Meghan     at 5:22 pm

Loved this post! Happy for you guys that you have been able to see one of your dreams for your family come true. :)

Jen     at 5:30 pm

Congrats to Casey! And congrats to you (and Cullen!) for breast-feeding while cheering. I’m seriously impressed. If I even talk while W is nursing, he pulls off and gives me a dirty look!

Cullen went through a very distracted phase where no one else could even be in the room while he was eating. Now he’s faster and more efficient, and I think he’s less distracted bc he knows i will only be a few minutes. Hopefully W grows out of it too!

Sana     at 5:38 pm

Congrats to both you and Casey!

Jamie @ FoodinRealLife     at 5:42 pm

Awesome! Love the BFing on the sidelines! What kind of nursing bras do you use or is that a tank? You look very discreet!

Rachel @ The Mallory Report     at 5:43 pm

Congratulations to Casey! And good for both of you for continuing to figure out how to train for races as new parents. I hope that after my baby comes, that my husband and I are able to do the same thing!

Lauren     at 5:51 pm

This is the sweetest thing! I love how he stopped to give Cullen a kiss- what a remarkable moment. :) Congrats to Casey!

Erin     at 5:59 pm

You guys look so amazing and happy :) Cullen is getting cuter every post <3

Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More     at 6:02 pm

I’m sure he appreciated that you were able to cheer him on from so many differnt spots along the course!

And what a great idea for Father’s Day!!

Amy Hansen     at 6:17 pm

Bravo to you both as parents and dedicated runners! Finding your blog and reading this post couldn’t have come at a more appropriate time for me. I have a one year old and and am rededicating myself to fitness and healthy vegetarian food. I take a deep breath and say “there is time in the day for ME” even if I do have a tiny 20 lb person hanging off of my leg when I look down :) Thanks again for the wonderful words, they are encouraging to me.

Thanks for reading, Amy! :)

Kendra     at 6:33 pm

This must have been the go-to Father’s Day gift this year! We did the same thing, thanks to Pinterest!

Gwen     at 6:37 pm

SUCH good role models for Cullen! Great job to Mr. Garnish! <3

luv what you do     at 6:42 pm

What an awesome way to spend Father’s Day!!!
Congrats on an impressive race!

JennyV     at 6:58 pm

Until I ran my first marathon last October, I had no idea how much fan support from friends and family meant whie out on the course. You did a great job of getting to various locations to cheer him on.

I think you two are doing a great job of being healthy role models for Cullen :)

Lee     at 6:59 pm

Congrats and Happy Father’s Day to Casey!

Grace     at 7:01 pm

I’ve been a long time reader of your blog and you’ve been such an inspiration to me. Both you & Casey are doing an amazing job with Cullen and wonderful healthy role models!!

Ali @ Peaches and Football     at 7:14 pm

Great job Casey!!! That shows a lot about great conditioning to be able to move up a marathon and still do so well.

Cute D A D picture of Cullen – I’ve seen a TON of those on blogs this year, was it on Pinterest or something like that? Wondered where everyone was getting the idea from.

It was on Pinterest. :)

Sarah     at 7:18 pm

Awesome father’s day present!

Lara     at 7:31 pm

Cutest Father’s Day gift ever. I’m pinning it!

Sarah G     at 7:34 pm

I can’t believe Cullen continued to eat as you stood, ran, and cheered — my baby boy is six weeks younger and still refuses to eat if we’re not in a mostly quiet, mostly dark environment with absolutely no sign of big sister.

He is usually a very distracted eater, but he was pretty hungry and sleepy. I also had a major letdown going on, so he wasn’t about to pull off, haha.

Army Amy*     at 7:44 pm

I’m in awe that you have no qualms breastfeeding in public like that. You must have so much confidence!

And Casey is a beast! Is he close to BQing for his age group?*

I’d rather BF in public than feel like I need to hide in the car! I think BQ for his age is 3:05. :)

Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction     at 8:53 pm

That has got to be the cutest fathers day gift I have ever seen! You two are amazing role models!

Maya     at 10:16 pm

Congrats on a great race!! I’ve changed my focus to speed too. I was doing a training plan that started to take me up into 8-9 mile runs (though it was technically a 5K plan!! Crazy!) and it was too hard to fit those in with my baby. Now I’m redoing the plan I did when I was first coming back from running after my daughter was born (the intermediate 5K plan from Run Less, Run Faster, a Runner’s World book) but with a SUPER fast (for me) 5K time of 22:40, and it’s working out well so far!

Btw I can’t say enough good things about Run Less, Run Faster, especially as a new mom. Its plans involve three runs a week– one intervals, one tempo, and one long (or one short tempo and one long tempo), plus two days of cross training which I barely ever do. You have a very specific time goal for every run, which to me makes them more fun (and more challenging). I get SO much faster using these plans. I used the three day a week beginner’s marathon training plan for my third marathon (the non-beginner/intermediate plans are REALLY hard core) and I broke 4 hrs and PRed by 15 minutes, and my dad did the plan with me and broke 4 hrs and PRed by about 40 minutes!! Anyway, I am an obnoxious evangelical about these training plans and thought you and Casey might want to check them out, especially if you’re focusing on speed.

This sounds awesome, and I’ll definitely look into it. Sounds exactly like what we’re looking for!

Maya Reply:

Yay! I hope you like it! The plan seems confusing at first, but it’s really pretty simple to follow. I recommend starting with the intermediate 5K plan, even though it will probably feel pretty dinky to you at first, because it gets you used to speed work. When I’m running with the jogging stroller, btw, I usually bump up the paces to the next… so I try to run a mid-tempo pace if I’m doing a short-tempo run. I try to run without the jogger though… for just three short runs a week it’s not hard to find the time. Plus my baby has become militantly anti-jogging-stroller. :-p

Btw here’s a link to the book: http://www.amazon.com/Runners-World-Less-Faster-Revolutionary/dp/159486649X

And if you’re curious, here’s a link to the beginner’s marathon plan I followed, which I will totally use for my fourth marathon if I ever run it… this plan is actually not in the book (they just have non-beginner marathon plans) but it’s from the same people:

brandee     at 11:09 pm

Sounds like a great race for all of you! You guys are a great team!

Courtney@Translating Nutrition     at 2:41 am

What a sweet father’s day gift! Congrats to Casey on a job well done!

Erica { EricaDHouse.com }     at 3:19 am

My Dad started running in races when I was in High School but I was ‘to cool’ to go watch him. Now I’ve been begging him to enter another one so I can be his cheerleader!
Congrats to Casey!

Elisabeth     at 3:55 am

Happy 1st Father’s Day to Casey! :)

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama     at 5:37 am

Great job to Casey! As a runner and my hubs isn’t, I greatly appreciate seeing a familiar face out on a race course. Totally makes you push a little harder!

Love Casey’s Father’s Day gift, too!

Carol     at 6:40 am

Great race, Casey! Kudos to the support team.

what a cool Father’s Day gift, too.

Sandra     at 6:42 am

Love that you nursed on the sidelines and didn’t hide in the car. You guys are great role models in your fitness and eating habits.

Thanks Sandra!

Sarah     at 7:27 am

That last picture of Cullen with “Dad” is soooo cute!

Gbea     at 7:58 am

I’m originally from PDX and have enjoy reading your blog because I get so homesick for the NW – have especially felt that way the last two entries! Also, loved the Father’s Day gift – that is a super-clever idea. Good luck with the 1/2 marathon – will Casey and Cullen be following you with a stroller?!

Nope, I’ll be out there on my own this time! Eek!

Marissa@ohhhsolovely     at 8:09 am

what a nice day to spend together! i love your idea of having the kids grow up cheering you guys on. that just seems so good for the kiddos to me on so many different levels!

Samantha     at 8:45 am

Good morning! Thanks for the laugh about the breastfeeding incident as Casey was getting ready to run by. You did good. :)

I will be curious how your training changes. I am not a marathon runner or even racer anymore, but I have always found myself built for endurance and not for speed. So I look forward to you training your body for something different.

Shannan     at 9:51 am

What a cute present! :)

Growing up, I attended a lot of marathon races with my father. When he had races far away, my twin brother and I would often go along with him for the whole weekend. At the time I didn’t think it was very “fun”, but looking back we got to spend a lot of quality time with my dad on these outings. I wouldn’t have changed it! Cullen may grow up and think standing out in heat for three hours waiting for his Dad to run by may not be fun then, but it will be a great memory later. :)

I love this comment!

Elizabeth     at 10:13 am

I made the same gift for my hubby for his father’s day :) glad to see you guys make working out a priority and help motivate each other

Katiemac     at 11:19 am

I adore this post!!! Very true about losing all modesty, I have been in similar situations, a girl has to do what a girl has to do!!!
I ran my longest race ever on Saturday—10 miles!!! It was incredible to see my husband and son at mile 8, just when I needed them!!!

Congrats on your race – so awesome!

katie     at 11:29 am

Soo cool he was 49th! I love small races. What I love even more is speed training. Haven’t done it in too long, but there is really nothing like the feeling of your butt after 400 repeats. ;-)

Let’s do some repeats together in the 100 degree Georgia heat next week! :)

Tameika     at 11:41 am

Congratulations Casey! You guys are doing a wonderful job!

lee     at 12:00 pm

Wow. There is something so special and lovely and heartwarming about the pictures of Casey stopping to kiss Cullen and waving to you both as he runs by…there’s such a delightful sense of him being happy for your support, and you being happy to support him. Good for both of you for finding ways to keep your love for running in your lives as parents! =)

Thanks Lee!

Erin     at 4:49 pm

The breastfeeding on the sidelines was my favorite part (other than the fathers day gift which I’m totally stealing). What great memories for your family.

Candice     at 4:47 am

Ahhh! Cute Fathers Day Gift!! Can’t wait to get back into running after this baby comes next month! Such an inspiration!

Debbi     at 6:53 am

You two are great cheerleaders.I too cheer my hubby on as he does triathleons. As soon as he signs up I print out a map and plan my locations! I wear the same hat and ring a bell with bright green fabric so he can find me.You two are great examples for Cullen. Since my hubby is 66 and just beginning tri’s he has had more people say he’s a good example. I am so proud of him.

Lauren James     at 9:07 am

It is so incredibly entertaining, informative, inspirational, and joyous to read your blog! This mostly has to do with the commonalities we share! Cullen and my son are just DAYS (10/19/11) apart from each other. I’m also a dedicated runner, learning how to balance my love for running and parenting (among many, many other things:)) It’s so fun to see what Cullen is doing, b/c my son is usually doing similar things. Thank you for provding me with helpful info on parenting, running, parenting, cooking, and laughs! Keep ‘em coming!

Anne Marie     at 10:21 am

Hi Emily! I have been following your blog for a long time and actually live in Old Town, VA – your old ‘hood! We are actually in Seattle this weekend visiting my brother and running the Rock n Roll Marathon (well…my husband, Matt, is doing the marathon, I’m doing the half!) Is that the run you’re doing? So far I have only done the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler and Army 10 Miler in DC, so I am very excited for Saturday’s race. It is very encouraging to see you both keeping up with running as parents. Now that we’ve been running/training, I can fully appreciate the dedication that it takes – but also how it can become such an important part of your life. I never thought I was a runner before, and now I can’t imagine NOT being one! Even with kids…someday. :) Good luck on Saturday! (Also, I LOVE the DIY Father’s Day gift!! What a great idea – and seriously, what an adorable baby Cullen is!)

OLD TOWN!! Oh how I miss it. I love Seattle, but Old Town is such a little gem. Welcome to Seattle! I am doing the half – yep. I’m nervous about it – not really trained or prepared. Oops. Hopefully we run into each other down there!

Monica     at 11:16 am

Cullen is so well behaved! Wrigley thinks any nursing cover up is for peek-a-boo and I end up flashing the world several times in one feeding.

Glad you guys had a great trip!

Tammy Root     at 4:35 pm

Hi Emily,
This is completely off-topic but are you still breastfeeding? If not, how did you decide what formula to use and how did you transition from breast milk to formula? I had my baby 5 weeks and I am exclusively giving her breast milk that I pump — she was a preemie and the breastfeeding thing just wasn’t in the cards for us — I am okay with it though because she is still getting my milk, but I know one day I will not be able to keep up with the demand. I am trying to solicit advice from moms with infants and I thought of you! :) Thanks!

Yep, still breastfeeding. We’ve actually never had to use any formula, but I have heard Earth’s Best has a good one. Congrats to you on your baby! Just do your best, mama. :)

Tammy Root Reply:

Wow, you are a rock star!! Good job breastfeeding Cullen this long! Thanks for the tip about Earth’s Best. :)

Heidi - Apples Under My Bed     at 5:14 pm

such a gorgeous gift. Well done Casey!! cheering looks like such fun, well done!
Heidi xo

Melissa     at 10:50 am

I just have to say that that I’m becoming a loyal reader, but I had to comment on this entry! As someone who wants to be a lactation consultant, seeing you get out to cheer on your hubby while nursing – HUGE KUDOS!!! :D That does take a lot of nerves if you’re shy. I’ll never forget nursing my daughter in public, about the same age as Cullen, at a local dinner for the first time and the odd looks I got. The looks got even more comical the moment my daughter decided to pull the blanket from her head! LOL. They were born on the same day, 3 years apart, by the way! :)

Gabrielle     at 2:59 pm

This was fun to read, and I LOVE the father’s day gift picture set!