Eight Months.

Cullen is eight months old today.  How did that happen?

It actually feels hard to remember when he was just an eight week old baby doll…

And now he’s a gorgeous, happy eight month old chunky monkey.

This month has been all about mobility and personality.  He’s really starting to become his own little guy.  He has definite likes and dislikes, preferences and tastes.  For example, he absolutely hates his changing table.  Changing his diaper is a full body workout for both of us – quite the wrestling match.

And don’t even THINK about trying to change his clothes.  You have never seen such a scene!  Back arching, tears streaming, legs thrashing – it seems he got my flair for the dramatics.  I dreaaaaaad getting him dressed and I always try to trick Casey into taking that job when I can.  But Cullen just flashes that toothy grin and I forget all about it until bedtime.

On the mobility front, he’s been scooting and exploring for a few months now, but he’s really starting to kick it up a notch.  His crawl has gotten FAST, and he’s in such a rush to get around that he barely bothers to bend his knees anymore.  He runs across the floor doing a bear crawl.

When he’s not crawling, he’s climbing.  This month he has finally discovered the stairs, which makes me incredibly nervous.  Luckily he’s shown no interest in going down quite yet, but he does like to crawl UP (with mommy anxiously hovering above him).

He literally cannot be left alone for a minute unless he’s in his high chair or jumperoo, because he’s always getting into something.  He pulls up on everything – tables, windowsills, barstools – nothing is too high or too heavy.

His new interest in climbing and standing has also led to a lot of bumps and bruises.  I’d say there is at least one major crash and subsequent hysteria every day.  He has no fear whatsoever.  Such a tough guy.

I can see a big change in his playing these days.  Everything still goes directly in the mouth, but he seems more methodical and curious about everything.  He has started taking puzzle pieces out, moving parts along wire toys, and bringing pieces together to make noise.

I haven’t given you a full nursery tour yet, but he has this awesome sun room extension off of his room.  It’s basically just a big toy and play space.  It is so nice to have a big carpeted area for him to roam around safely!

Our biggest change this month has probably been with FOOD.  I’m planning to write a detailed post about it soon, but despite our rocky start with solids, he is now suddenly an eating monster.

He eats breakfast and dinner in the high chair each day, and some occasional snacks during the day.  We’ve tried a big variety of fruits, veggies, and more – and we’re adding new foods to the list every day.  I’m having so much fun discovering his likes (sweet potatoes) and dislikes (broccoli), and watching him learn to feed himself.  He’s getting so big so quickly!

Eight Month Rundown:

• Solid Food:  Purees are out, solids and chunks are in.  Favorites are sweet potatoes, bananas, and blueberries!
  • Bottles:  Taking one from dad every night before bed.  Even took a few from babysitters!
  • Breastfeeding: – 5 times a day – going strong!
  • Diapers:  Cloth – and still loving it!
  • Teeth:  SIX!  This kid house a mouthful of chompers.  Ouch.
  • Noises:  Still not really babbling too much.  Too busy crawling.
  • Weight:  No idea.  Last bathroom weigh-in was around 18.5lbs.  We’ll find out next month!
  • Likes: Other people laughing, having his toes eaten, eating grass, sitting up in the bathtub, pulling on cords, being tickled.
  • Dislikes: Having his diaper changed, putting on clothes, taking afternoon naps, getting strapped in to the car seat, eating green vegetables.
  • Vacations: Next week – family vacation to Georgia!

And if that wasn’t enough, here’s a video if him at 8 months.  I caught some really great big belly laughs toward the end.  He cracks me up!

For more updates and parenting talk, you can check out the parenting page.  You can also read the recent Babble:

Alyssa @ Fit and Fun in Third     at 4:46 pm

Emily your little one is just the CUTEST I’ve ever seen! He’s gonna be a heartbreaker with that smile! :)

Lisa @ The Splattered Apron     at 4:48 pm

Look at those chompers!!! Cannot believe he’s 8 months old. Where has the time gone?!?! And I love that video–such a personality and laugh!

Hannah     at 4:53 pm

OMG is he cute enough!?! That video is to die for!! And I am LOVING his red hair.

Lee     at 4:56 pm

What a happy guy!

If you need any Georgia restaurant recommendations, though I’m sure your family will have some, let me know! There are tons of veggie-friendly places here. That is, if you are going to be in Atlanta.

We are going to be right outside Atlanta at Lake Lanier. It’s Casey’s family vacation! I am really scared of the HEAT. :)

J.J. Reply:

You need to eat at Cafe Sunflower!!!! SOO yummy one of the best vegan and vegetarian restaurants in Atlanta. I live right outside of Atlanta south of Lake Lanier. I cannot believe your going to be in Georgia and don’t worry about the heat it’s not so bad :) bring sunscreen though! Have fun!

Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life)     at 5:15 pm

I can’t believe he has so many teeth! Adorable :) I love reading Cullen’s updates and can’t wait to hear more about how and what you feed him.

emily     at 5:18 pm

So glad to hear he is taking bottles easily now! What a relief for you!

Leatitia @ The Sweetest Year     at 5:23 pm

I can’t believe he’s 8 months old already! Time flies! Mine will be ONE YEAR OLD next week…*snif*

Hols     at 5:25 pm

I have had MS for 10 years and just wanted to pass along some info from this blog I read saying that MS could have a link to cow milk consumption when you’re young.

I don’t know if that is true, but to parents with young children, I think it’s worth looking at.

Cullen is so cute and it has been a joy to see him grow!

BTW grew up in Wisconsin, where dairy is a staple.

We aren’t giving him dairy at this point, and still haven’t really decided what we’ll do going forward. We’re going to talk to his doc about it at the 9 month appt. Thanks for the link!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 5:28 pm

He’s such a big boy! I can’t believe he’s 8 months already. I love laughing babies -they’re the best.

Trainer Kjirsten @ Balanced Healthy Life     at 5:43 pm

Cullen is growing up so fast! I have a five month old daughter and can’t wait for those big belly laughs to come out of her!

Crystal     at 5:52 pm

Adorable! How is the sleep going (naps and overnight?)

Down to 2 naps a day (occasionally three), and he still gets up once at night (around 3am). Not too much change there. Trying to phase him out of the night feeding now!

Sabrina     at 6:05 pm

I love his chubby little legs!

Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More     at 6:09 pm

What a great play space for him! Love all the natural light!

kath     at 6:16 pm

Such a cute laugh!!

And I love the bear crawl photo!

Alex @ Raw Recovery     at 6:24 pm

Emily, Cullen is one of those rare kids that has been gorgeous from day one. Seriously, he was the cutest baby boy I have ever seen and he continues to get more adorable by the day it seems. He looks so happy and it’s clear that you and Casey are great parents to keep him so healthy and cheerful!!

Thank you so much Alex! :)

Erin     at 6:31 pm

I always enjoy your monthly updates about Cullen. My little one is almost exactly two months younger than Cullen and its nice to get a little preview of what milestones were heading toward. Glad to see that food is going so well v hasn’t liked anything we’ve tried so far but sweet potatoes are next on the list.

He was really picky and not too interested for a few weeks, and then suddenly BAM – he wanted to eat everything!

katie     at 6:59 pm

Ahhh!!! Can’t WAIT to FINALLY see him. It’s been waay too long. 8 months is too old. ;-)

Lara     at 7:09 pm

Oh my goodness, he just gets cuter every month. It seems like his hair is turning red?! LOVE!

Yep, he’s getting a little reddish, just like daddy. I love it!

lindsay @ prettylittleparadise     at 7:51 pm

such a nice update! Cullen is super cute and sooooo happy!! love the video and super serious Huey!!

Bekah     at 8:01 pm

How did you get him to write a bottle? Have you written a post on that here or on Babble? I am having the same problem with my 3-month old and would love to hear what worked for you.

Honestly I just kept trying and trying. No real tricks unfortunately. I think he just got old enough that he was willing to reconsider. :) He didn’t take it til seven months!

Sarah     at 8:10 pm

How much fun! He’s so adorable and I think I laughed more than he did at the video.

Thanks for the update! I love them.

Jojo     at 8:19 pm

Cullen is the smiley-est baby ever! So sweet :D

Sarah G     at 8:30 pm

LOVE the belly laughs — so freakin’ precious! And thanks for pointing out Huey in the background; gave me a true LOL moment.

I notice that it’s time to raise up the jumperoo level. When Cullen is sitting in it without moving, his tippy toes should be the only part of the foot touching the ground — no flat feet without serious jumping. Not sure why, but I know it’s super important.

As always, thanks for sharing. :)

Yep, you are right on that one. Every time I put him in it I keep saying we need to move it up. Maybe I’ll do that during his nap today…

Alisa     at 8:50 pm

I “met” you on Babble’s Being Pregnant and started reading Daily Garnish shortly after. I can’t believe Cullen is already 8 months. That is a really fun age and there’s so much more in store! I love reading your blog!

Thanks so much for following me here! :)

Red Deception     at 9:37 pm

Those laughs could melt the coldest heart. He’s so sweet!

Kathi     at 9:49 pm

What a cutie, and what a busy boy! For the diaper and clothing changes, do you have any toddler music you can play in his room during that time? We used to have Kindermusic cd’s and they were awesome distractions plus fun music for them to learn. Enjoy him, he is so adorable!

Music is a good idea. I usually try to distract him by letting him chew on something like the thermometer case.

Alexis     at 10:11 pm

Oh my gosh too cute! But I have to say that I equally love seeing your pups! They are so adorable. I want to steal Huey, he’s so funny and reminds me of my dobie. Please tell Indie for me that you didn’t mean it when you said no one was trying to see him, because I was;)

Haha the pups still get plenty of attention, I promise. Indy just likes to be ON TOP of me when I play with Cullen. It’s ridiculous.

Cathy @ Savory Notes     at 11:13 pm

Oh my goodness, his laugh is ADORABLE, and contagious! (I started laughing too.) Also, I’m adding this to my “we should have a baby NOW” arsenal to convince the BF. ;)

Elisabeth     at 11:35 pm

Oh my…can’t believe he’s 8 months already! He’s just a big sweetheart, especially with those chunky baby legs. Love the orange & grey on him :)

Jill     at 11:42 pm

OMG – he is so precious! Love the big belly laughs, cant wait for my 5 month old to start laughing like that! :)

The laughs absolutely kill me. Too fun!

Maya     at 11:45 pm

LOVE his smile!! My daughter is one day younger (8 mos today) so it’s always so interesting to see how they’re developing similarly and differently. Nitsah could totally take Cullen in a sumo contest (she has fat folds in her fat folds!) but he can definitely climb circles around her, though she’s a stubborn little zombie crawler. She is a lot more solemn but has a lot of the same likes and dislikes… diaper changing is such a struggle. I love seeing all the tiny little changes every week, don’t you? There’s always something new!

Happy eight months to YOU! :)

Kristen     at 12:41 am

So cute! Love the gummy smile! I also can’t believe he’s eight months old! Congratulations Emily and Casey- first time parents and rocking it!

Thanks Kristen! :)

Coco     at 2:45 am

Ahh I love his little laugh and big smile!!! He really is growing up so quickly… Besides the screaming during changes- seems like he is really getting to be a whole lot of fun!

Erica { EricaDHouse.com }     at 3:20 am

(1) Those two bottom teeth are the cutest thing ever
(2) I teach Human Growth and Development at a college here and it is so amazing to see Cullen going through all the motor milestones and personality changes that we talk about in class!

Enjoy the trip to Georgia next week!

Catherine     at 5:39 am

Where did your tiny little peanut go? I love reading and seeing how much he’s grown. Such a cutie – that toothy smile is heart-melting!

Colleen     at 5:48 am

Hi Emily, I really love these posts. My daughter is three months old so it’s nice to see what she might be doing at 8 months. Did you do posts for 6 and 7 months?
Thanks!

Hi Colleen! Thanks for the reminder that my parenting page was very out of date. :) I just updated it with all the most recent updates!

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama     at 6:18 am

Love the video–too cute!

Lauren     at 6:30 am

Soooo…I’m pretty sure Cullen is the cutest child…like, EVER. My sister does not even read blogs but I was reading your blog one day and showed her pics of Cullen. Now it’s all she talks about! She also thinks he is the cutest thing even. She even *made me* (twist my arm lol) show my Mom pics of him :) haha. You are so blessed!

Haha thanks Lauren!

Meagan     at 7:02 am

Aww, Cullen’s a cutie! I love the videos. He’s definitely trying to mimic your laugh to get a reaction out of you! Infant behavior is so fascinating!! :)

Jasmine @ learning to feed yourself     at 7:37 am

Such a big smile! And the red hair! He is adorable :)

Pam     at 7:57 am

Cullen is adorable! I love reading your updates :) Food is so much fun with babies… try noodles, brown rice, raspberries, and avocado!! Mine loves those and they are now staples at every meal! Glad you are having fun with it instead of letting it stress you out :)

He doesn’t like avocado! I am so sad! We’ll keep trying it obviously, but so far not a fan at all.

Pam Reply:

Oh sad :( Well they say to just keep trying (up to 15 times?!)… raspberries are perfect because they are so soft and sweet! Mine eats a pint a day :)

Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep     at 8:12 am

I swear he’s the most adorable child I’ve ever seen!

Love the video! Indy looking into the camera had me laughing so hard!

Ali     at 8:19 am

He is so adorable! Love seeing babies laugh and dance! :)

clare @ fittingitallin     at 8:35 am

oh my gosh babies jumping are the cutest things ever!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama     at 10:19 am

What a cutie! I gave up on the changing table at about 7 months with my kids. The floor became our new changing table. Less of struggle and no fear of rolling off!

Marie     at 12:25 pm

There is seriously nothing better than hearing a baby laugh; never gets old! He is so adorable and keeps getting cuter! I love these posts and especially the videos. I remember when you posted a video of him moving in your belly and thought that was so genius! I wish I had thought of it with mine. It’s the thing I miss most about being pregnant. Our twins are 4 now and we are done so now more of that. Haha. I saw in another comment that he doesn’t like avocados. Mine ate it mashed with bananas at first. Might be worth a try. Have a great weekend and a safe trip to Georgia!

Lesley     at 12:31 pm

Cullen is sooooo adorable! I’m smiling just looking at his big smile and two little bottom teeth. :D

Lori     at 2:51 pm

Cullen is adorable! I love the baby/family side of the blog. I love the food too! I am due on Oct 21, a boy, out first child. I am soooo excited! We sure do have it easier than our mothers did with the internet to help us with all things baby, don’t we?!

Katie k s     at 4:12 pm

if you are doing blueberries then I am going to try. I thought I was supposed to wait til 1 but couldn’t remember why.

Patricia     at 5:25 pm

If you’ve got stairs be sure at some point you teach Cullen to use them safely.. My children all wanted to go head first before I taught them to back down. Never had an accident. What a cutie.

ANH     at 8:12 pm

haha omg he is the CUTEST!! i couldn’t help but start cracking up either when he was laughing!

Sonja     at 5:10 am

Proof once again that 1) laughter is the best medicine and 2) it is totally contagious! My son came over to watch the video with me….he is ten years old and has moderate autism. You should have heard the both of us laughing right along with you guys. It was great!! Thanks for the video. And kudos to you and Casey….it’s obvious that you are both amazing parents!

Amber K     at 11:53 am

He is just the cutest ever! I love how much of his personality shows through the pictures.

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See     at 12:37 pm

Cullen is SO adorable. Oh my gosh, I know I’ve said that a million times, but he is so cute! The best smile, for sure :)

Erin @ The Grass Skirt     at 12:47 pm

My goodness- he couldn’t be any cuter! :)

FullFlavoredLife     at 2:25 pm

Cullen is so precious. Loved the video!

Susan @ Real Life Travels     at 7:42 pm

He’s such a cutie! Happy 8 months!

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Nine Months.     at 7:54 pm

[...] this month he has really been working hard.  Last month was all about climbing, and this month has been all about standing and trying to walk.  His [...]

We’ve Hit Nine Months! | My Family Blog     at 12:34 pm

[...] this month he has really been working hard.  Last month was all about climbing, and this month has been all about standing and trying to walk.  His [...]