Georgia Greetings.

Greetings from Lake Lanier, Georgia!  We are here spending the week with Casey’s family – it’s our summer vacation.

We’re staying in a lake house tucked back in the woods, right on the water.  Very different from Seattle!

Also different from Seattle?  The temperature!  After a very long day of travel, we got here yesterday and were greeted by 90 degree temps.  Haven’t felt those in a long time!  Unfortunately, the air conditioner in the house broke Sunday night, so we spent the evening parked in front of fans and wearing as little as possible.

It’s such a pretty house, and it’s exciting to get to spend the week here with family.  Cullen loves being around his grandparents!

After a HOT night, we were up early.  Cullen decided to switch over to Eastern time on day one.  Ouch!  He had a breakfast of blueberries and cereal puffs.

While I had a bowl of blueberries with my mother-in-law’s grain-free granola (made from dehydrated nuts and coconut).  She’s really into food, and brought all sorts of goodies with her.

Emma dog is here too, and I don’t think she’s very happy that Cullen is stealing all her thunder.

This afternoon was our first adventure out on the water, and Cullen’s first boat ride!

I wasn’t sure what he’d think, but he seemed to like hanging out in the shade and feeling the wind on his face.

The lake is gorgeous, and the water is clear and warm.

Cullen and dad did some snuggling while we drove around and looked for a beachy area to park our boat and swim.

And then our little fish made his first venture into the lake!  He hasn’t been swimming since we were in Maui and he was only a few months old.  This water was much much warmer, and he started splashing as soon as he got in.

He didn’t like being dipped past his waist though.  Baby steps.

He also has this great little raft that he LOVED.  As soon as I put him in he started smiling and kicking his little legs.  Too cute!

Thirty minutes in the water was just about enough for him, and he passed out on Grandpa’s lap for an afternoon nap.

Casey’s parents were nice enough to hang with Cullen in the shade while Casey and I got to enjoy the water and swim around for a bit.

It’s so fun for us to all be here together.  Spread between Atlanta, Indiana, and Seattle, we don’t get to see each other as often as we’d like.  Trying to soak it all up while we can!

After a good nap, Cullen woke up in a great mood and was ready to drive us back to the house for the evening.  (Side note: isn’t Grandpa totally buff?)

We’re back at the house lounging and relaxing.  Excited for another day out on the water tomorrow!  And for you guys – a yummy recipe.  Stay tuned!

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie     at 7:37 pm

Omg that last picture especially is so precious of Cullen! What a doll baby. And what a gorgeous home! I hope you have a wonderful vacation!

Sana     at 7:45 pm

Does Cullen have red or brown hair? It looks brown in these pics but I thought it was red!

It has reddish tones, but it still brown when you see it in person. Shows up more red in the light!

Jasmine @ learning to feed yourself     at 7:53 pm

The whole family just seems so healthy and in shape! Even though I’m only 19, I definitely aspire to be able to be active with my grandchildren someday and make healthy gluten-free granola!

emily     at 8:01 pm

I cant believe he can pass out like that at 8 months! I wish Parker ever did that

Tricia     at 8:02 pm

looks like you are having a blast! and I know you said nothing about this, but your suit makes me think of the itsy bitsy teenie weenie yellow polka dot bikini song

Elisabeth Reply:

Ha! I thought of that song, too. Grandpa is definitely buff – you’re all one big healthy family ;)

Melissa     at 8:06 pm

Where is Cullen’s life jacket?

It was directly next to me on the boat. Trust me, I’m a safety freak. He screamed with it on so I took it off because we have a pontoon boat that is moving at a very low speed. The reason we boated over to a beach is because I don’t feel comfortable having him in deep water where I can’t stand when holding him. Most of the pics were taken when the boat wasn’t moving.

Lee     at 8:07 pm

Hope you have a wonderful vacation. Though I live maybe 30 minutes south, I’ve only been to Lake Lanier once and it was before I moved to Atlanta. I’ve always heard good things though.

Abby @ Change of Pace     at 8:28 pm

That sounds (and looks) like a great holiday! Speaking of buff- check out your toned arms!

Ally     at 8:40 pm

Emily, you look so completely fantastic! And what a great way to celebrate your beautiful family. Enjoy it!

Grace (My Spare Oom)     at 8:52 pm

So glad y’all are getting a chance to relax and soak up some sun…looks like a lovely time. :) And Emily, you look amazing + so fit! You’re ripped! Post-vacation update on your workout/fitness activities? I’d love to hear your tips on what you’ve been doing. Pretty please??

Thanks Grace! Honestly the arms are from carrying around a 19lb baby all day long! I don’t have a gym membership or any weights routine right now, but I’m hoping to get back to that this winter once the weather turns icky again.

Belinda Reply:

Emily, that is just crazy! I can’t believe those arms and back are from carrying baby alone :) You must be doing 200 push-ups every night or something ;) You are truly an inspiration. Seeing you and your family doing fun, healthy activities all together gives me mega baby-fever.

Alexis Reply:

Oh my gosh I was thinking the same thing! Killer arms and back. Must get myself a 20 lb baby:)

Haha certainly not. I hope to get back to weight training at the end of the summer when it gets dreary again. For now, I’m just walking outside a lot and hauling a baby everywhere! :)

D Reply:

I would lovvvvvve an update on your exercise/eating routines . You look so so great!!!!:) pretty please!!!!

Desiree     at 8:57 pm

Looks like a fun time you are having. I live just west of Atlanta but am up in Alaska right now visiting family (flying back Fri). Making memories with the grandparents and cousins is so important. We don’t have family in GA so we try to make the best of our visits. I will say I’m enjoying the cooler temps here in Alaska!! My husband is actually looking into possibly moving us to Seattle (one of the places he can go with his company). So who knows?? Enjoy your visit and the warm weather :)

Stefanie     at 9:30 pm

Enjoy your vacation! It looks beautiful there!

Heather (Heather's Dish)     at 9:49 pm

mama’s buff too! i can’t wait to take wes to a lake (hopefully in the next few months)! it’s going to be so adorable, my heart melts just thinking about it :)

Anna @ Blissfully Banana     at 10:08 pm

Your swim suit is so cute! AND your arms are super buff! Carrying around an 8 month old helps the muscles huh? :)

Glad you’re having a nice vacation! I’m totally curious about the grain free granola btw! Sounds delicious!

Yes, haha! Total mom arms!

Erica { EricaDHouse.com }     at 3:19 am

Lol I was thinking grandpa was a total hottie!

I don’t know how you survived 90 degree weather with no AC … that gives me flashbacks to power outages after hurricanes. No bueno!

Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy     at 4:05 am

Looks like a wonderful day!

Sara @ Nik Naks and Noms     at 4:44 am

Aw, I live just north of Lake Lanier. And it is SO hot right now. Way too hot! Looks gorgeous out on the lake though!

It’s actually not as hot as I thought it would be!

Michelle G.     at 4:58 am

Hi Emily,
I’m a longtime reader of your blog, but I think this is the first time I’ve left a comment. Your little boy is so adorable. I just love the posts that feature Cullen. Enjoy your vacation!

Thanks so much Michelle!

Sarah @ See Sarah Eat     at 5:22 am

Looks like a great time! I’m going to Google grain free granola now, I never would have thought of that :)

Here is the link to what she made! http://www.elanaspantry.com/granola/

Katie D.     at 5:45 am

What a great blessing to have such a fit and health focused family!

Kat     at 5:50 am

looks like you guys are already off to an amazing vacation. i love being on vacations with grandparents because you get to actually vacation yourself while they take care of the little one ;)

Teri {a foodie stays fit}     at 5:56 am

Welcome back to the east coast! :)

Your arms are rocking girl! You look great. And Cullen is adorable, as always. xoxo

Thank you thank you! :)

Shari     at 5:59 am

So glad you’re all having an amazing time! It looks like such a lovely place to vacation :)

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats     at 6:25 am

You seriously have the cutest baby I’ve ever seen, enjoy your vacation!

krista     at 6:27 am

I love lakes! Living in Texas, we pretty much go to one every weekend. Be thankful your vacation isn’t here this week, record highs! 106 today.

I have a 5 month old and I just hold him in the boat without his life jacket on, it’s too bulky and up in his face. Since he’s not mobile I’m completely comfortable with this. Where we go there’s not many boats so that helps ease my mind too.

I could barely hold onto him in the life vest! Couldn’t believe how bulky it was. If we head out onto the crowded lake I’ll put it back on, but where we’ve been so far is totally empty.

ashley     at 6:37 am

Awww loved this! What a fun vacay spot. Love all the windows in that house! The photo of cullen sleeping is aaaadorable. Have fun lady!!!

After I started taking pictures in here, I immediately told Casey our next house must have a wall of windows. :) Such amazing lighting!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries     at 7:02 am

i’ve probably said this a million times, but i can never get over how cute little cullen is! it looks like you guys are having a fun time so far. i always love boating and being on the water!

Katie @ Soulshine and Sassafras     at 7:03 am

That cabin looks gorgeous! Have a great time!

Samantha     at 7:19 am

That cabin looks heavenly! All I can think about is vacations these days. Have a great time.

Meagan     at 7:21 am

Grain free granola is my favorite! That’s fun, it must be nice to be spoiled by your MIL :)

Rebecca @ Miss Magnolia Munches & Moves     at 7:27 am

I vote for a post on that grain free granola! Sounds delicious. Have a great vacay.

Just got the link from her!

MiMi Reply:

I also added coconut flakes and a couple of drops of stevia to the raisin puree. Hint: Add the vanilla, cinnamon and spices to the raisin puree rather than try to mix it in afterward. I dried mine in a dehydrator set at 105 degrees and it only took about 7 hours (overnight would be fine). That saves all the live enzymes. It’s truly a recipe that can be personalized to your own taste.

Jamie @ StudioEats     at 7:29 am

Looks like an awesome vacation! And Cullen looks adorable in those plaid shorts :)

steff     at 7:31 am

Girl you look amazing in your suit, and your arms are so buff! I have a 5 month old, and WISH I looked like that!
I was one of those people too, that was like “OMG, my baby will always have a life jacket on when he is on the boat no matter what.” Well, we took him on our parents pontoon with his life vest on, and within 10 seconds he was SCREAMING because the thing is so big and bulky. I took it off of him too, because he was just miserable. I do the same thing you do….make sure we go slow, have someone responsible driving, and hold him with the jacket right next to us.
Have fun!

Thanks Steff! Yep, I was a total psycho about getting the life vest and then strapping him in immediately. But it was honestly SO bulky it was hard to even hold onto him in it. He screamed and thrashed and hated it. We’re on a pontoon boat in an empty canal slowly cruising along anyway. I felt fine with him in my arms!

Aimee Reply:

I completely understand your instincts, don’t get me wrong, but it’s scary to think about potentially hitting something underwater or another boat careening into your pontoon and jolting Cullen out of your arms. I’m sure you feel safe in your boat, moving slowly, safe captain etc. but I’d be more worried about OTHER boats/objects around me.
When I was a little kid, I was a crossing guard for my school. We had bright orange flags, vests, the works– and of course, the right of way given the clearly marked cross-walk. A car STILL ran into me, and I was doing everything right, safely, by the book etc. Scary stuff happens! I don’t want to contribute unnecessary stress/anxiety to you, though– just wanted to say it’s often other, unsafe things AROUND us that can lead to accidents.

Totally agree, Aimee. He’s been wearing it when we’ve been boating out on the lake. These pics were snapped parked at the beach, or in the 50 feet cruise down our (empty) canal to the beach. I am a crazy safety psycho! He hates the life vest, but it’s not negotiable.

Amanda Perry at Sistas of Strength     at 7:53 am

WOW – that looks so so so beautiful. Have a great time!!

Amanda     at 7:57 am

We’re still trying to get our daughter to like water, she stands in her kiddy pool but doesn’t like to sit! I may have to get one of those little covered raft things and take her to the big pool :) I love how they pass out from new things!

Heidi from BundlesofHugs     at 8:15 am

Absolutely beautiful! Looks like you’re already having a blast. Enjoy your vaca!!

jen     at 8:38 am

Haha, grandpa certain IS buff! Looks like Cullen is having fun, and you guys,too! Enjoy yourself, it’s going to be hot towards the end of the week! (I’m up in North Carolina, and I know we’re going to hit the high nineties Friday!)

Marci     at 8:41 am

Your arms are like wow! He is too cute. Have a good time!

Jenn     at 8:48 am

I have a babble request for you…Will you write some tips on flying with your infant? We have a long trip planned when our little one will be 9 months and we’re shaking in our boots about the flight!

Sure thing – probably toward the end of the week!

Angela     at 9:52 am

You’re pretty buff too! Have you been lifting weights, or just running when you can? I guess lifting baby Cullen is probably a work out too. Looks like a great time! Thanks for sharing ;0).

Just running occasionally and hauling around a heavy baby!

Linda (Kristen's Mom)     at 10:20 am

Cullen is a doll! Just curious . . . did you rent the house or does it belong to someone in your family? It looks like an awesome place to stay and I’ve always wanted to stay on Lake Lanier.

No we’re just renting it for the week!

Gwen     at 10:50 am

Hello Grandpa! TOTALLY buff. Looks like a beautiful spot to spend the week! Enjoy!

Haha I know!!

Whitney     at 11:14 am

Grandpa is looking good!!! Enjoy your time in GA! :)

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See     at 12:00 pm

Whoa man, way to go Grandpa! I wish my grandparents were in that good of shape :) And I used to love those raft thingies that Cullen’s in! SO fun.

Theresa     at 12:02 pm

That house is amazing! What a beautiful setting. I hope you having a relaxing vacation. I bet is even more enjoyable since Casey is back after his long trip!

Brittany (healthy slice of life)     at 12:23 pm

C looks so happy as a lake baby. H has only boated twice bc she isn’t a fan of the life jacket. Maybe next summer!
The house you’re at is gorgeous!

Yeah, C isn’t a huge fan either, which is why we’ve pretty much parked it at the beach all day. We did a long boat ride last night and he passed out in the life vest and used it as a pillow. Hailey is so lucky to grow up on the lake!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama     at 12:24 pm

Lookin’ good Mama! That looks like the perfect place for a great vacation. I always tend to want to head to the ocean for summer vacations but your house/lake looks great!

Erin     at 1:01 pm

Cullen is so cute in that last picture and wow Grandpa. Older people who are fit are such an inspiration I think.

Leah     at 1:08 pm

You have just made me look forward to my 4th of July holiday upcoming! :)

One of my favorite things about owning a lake house is being able to rent it out to families for an affordable vacation! :)

Leah     at 1:09 pm

P.S. that bib is a lifesaver! A few of my friends use the same one!

Helene     at 1:46 pm

Do you have any information you can share on the house you rented? It looks like something my family would really enjoy.

I can ask my inlaws – they are renting it and just invited us along! :)

Jessica Reply:

Ditto, please share the info on this awesome rental!!

Kelli     at 5:28 pm

Sounds like so much fun! Emma is sooo beautifuk too sorry huge dog lover I had to comment!

Hannah     at 8:59 pm

Welcome to Georgia! It’s supposed to get even hotter this weekend. My (outdoor!) wedding is here on Sunday, and the high is 103!!!!!!!

Eeeeek! Hope your day is wonderful!

beetred     at 9:06 pm

I love how much you guys travel, it’s impressive with a little one. That house is beautiful. As is Cullen and I concur with all the other comments you are in awesome shape!

Coco     at 3:14 am

C looks like he really enjoyed the boat ride- how cute! Hope you all are enjoying your time here on the East Coast :)