Alki Adventures.

What a weekend – one of our best yet.  It started as any weekend should – with pancakes.  Perfect, fluffy pancakes topped with strawberries and syrup.

And then we loaded up our car and headed out to West Seattle.  How did it take me an entire year to get here?

It was our first weekend of gorgeous summer weather, so we decided to head to Alki Beach – a spot I have been hearing about since we moved here.  West Seattle has some of the most spectacular views I’ve seen out here, with a gorgeous city scape on one side…

And breathtaking mountains on the other.  Incredible.

I am cheesy and lame, but I get so excited for Cullen that he is able to grow up in such an awesome place.

Our original plan was to get there early and go for a run along the beach path (hence the workout clothes).  It turned out there was a big pirate festival at the beach on Saturday, so we sat in a lot of traffic and had to park pretty far away.  So our run turned into a very long walk, which was just as well as it was pretty crowded on the path.

As we walked and soaked in the surroundings, Casey spotted a bald eagle on the beach!  A year later and I’m still in awe of the Northwest landscape and wildlife.  Very cool.

Being around the mountains typically leads to me stopping and taking no less than 300 photos.

I just never want to forget all this good stuff.

We walked all the way up to the beach,which turned out to be a 2.5 mile stretch from where we parked.  Our plan was to throw down a blanket and hang out for a bit, and for some reason I assumed we’d be able to rent an umbrella.  The sun was blazing and hot, and with no umbrellas in sight, we realized we’d need a shadier spot for Cullen.

We ended up walking back along the path until we found a grassy spot under a big tree.  I think we were all ready for a break!

Before we left, I packed a huge five pound bag of cherries that we picked up the night before at our market.  Thank god we had them – we were all starving from walking so far without any lunch in our bellies.  The three of us crushed the whole bag.  Tis the season.

We sat for a bit to give Cullen a break from the stroller and let him climb and crawl around.  If it weren’t for being really hungry, I could have sat there all day.

Eventually we packed up and headed back to our car – a total of over five miles walked along the waterfront.  My legs were feeling it!  We drove over to Chaco Canyon – one of our favorite Seattle restaurants.  This was our first time trying their West Seattle location, and I was surprised that it was much larger and even had a kids’ play area!  Too bad our “kid” was way too pooped to play.  He rarely sleeps in his car seat, but our afternoon outside had him wiped.

Casey got the Mighty Mo-Fo – 0ur take on a reuben sandwich with housemade seitan, sauerkraut, mustard, cucumbers, sprouts.

Sarah went with the THC – molasses wheat bread with housemade garlicky hummus, smoked paprika tempeh bacon, vegenaise, cucumbers and sprouts.

And since I hadn’t already had enough cherrries for the day, I got the Cherry Chutney Pizza – a savory raw pizza topped with curry cherry chutney, fresh sprouts, our savory cashew cheese, and dehydrated tamari date onion rings.

With a side of Thai Mushroom Soup.  Both were absolutely delicious.  I think I could have eaten three or four more of these pizzas.

We got home just in time for Cullen’s dinner.  The weather was so nice I couldn’t stand to be inside.  I dragged the high chair onto our patio and we all dined al fresco!  Plums and sweet potatoes for him…

And homemade Revel bowls for us (a play off my favorite restaurant dish).  Sesame oil brown rice, crispy blackened tofu, spiced mushrooms and kale – all topped with a drippy egg.  A slightly labor intensive meal, but so so worth it.

Sea Salt dark chocolate Theo for dessert.

Such a fun day!  It definitely won’t take another year to get me back to Alki Beach – this time I will pack my own umbrella.

Lacey     at 11:01 am

I went to Alki beach for the first time this Saturday too! I am working as an intern in Renton until the end of the summer and am trying to explore Seattle a bit on my own. Looks like you guys had fun :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey     at 11:02 am

That looks like a great day! My best friend’s sister lives in Seattle (on an island right outside the city?)and she is out there right now and enjoying the city!

You must be a mind reader too because that is exactly what I was envisioning for my dinner this evening!

Heather     at 11:06 am

Wow…Beautiful pictures. Beautiful food. Beautiful family. Nice blog :)

Thanks Heather!

Heather (Heather's Dish)     at 11:11 am

y’all are really so lucky to live so close to such amazing waterfronts…even though i grew up in texas i still feel SO at home by the ocean and miss it!

brandalyn     at 11:15 am

I love Alki, good choice! My grandmother lived over there and I spent a lot of time over there. For all the meat eaters the best place to eat hands down is spuds fish and chips!

We have a Spuds near my house too!

Andrea     at 11:22 am

Alki beach is amazing! My first summer out here, a friend took me at low tide. There were starfish EVERYWHERE!!! Being a landlocked midwestern girl it was amazing. Giant Purple, orange, pink and red ones. We even saw a sunstar! I felt like a little kid. Being further south now- I just go to Dash Point for my low tide fix and see the fields of sand dollars, which is so bizare, I had no idea they were black when they are alive.

That is awesome! I’ll look for them next time.

Socal Rachel     at 11:25 am

What a beautiful day in Seattle. Glad you were able to enjoy it with your family.

Meagan     at 11:26 am

I bought that kind of Theo chocolate two months ago when I was at the factory and it’s FABULOUS! Def some of the best chocolate ever

eryka     at 11:26 am

You were in my neck of the woods! (or beach rather.) I was volunteering at Pirate’s Landing this past Saturday and it was a blast, but it sure does create a traffic nightmare. The middle of the week is much calmer or come early on the weekend to get good parking. I recommend driving up and over the hill rather than around the water front–its much faster. Glad you discovered this secret gem!

Yay! Yeah it was nuts. Parking took foreveeeeerrrrr but it was worth it. I’m definitely planning to go back on a weekday and bring a shade tent! Great tip on driving up over the hill – I kept thinking there had to be a better way than just Harbor. Thanks!

Pam     at 11:27 am

I know what you mean about the Pacific Northwest’s scenery, I live in Portland (originally from the east coast) and the landscape just leaves me in awe. The summers make the dreary months so worth it.

Also I made your roasted cauliflower salad recipe last night and it was wonderful and completely worth turning on the oven in the 90-degree heat. :) Can’t wait for the leftovers today, thank you so much for the recipe!

I am so glad you liked it! I wish I had that for lunch today. :)

Lee     at 11:30 am

I love Cullen’s reddish hair!

Erica     at 11:46 am

Can’t believe you guys saw a bald eagle just chilling lol. Cullen’s two bottom teeth are uh-dorable!

Gina     at 12:03 pm

What a fun day! I’m going to try out the water taxi from downtown to West Seattle next Sat for the West Seattle Fest…should be another sunny (and very busy) weekend over there! Ps. a friend of mine mentioned they took a day trip to Vashon Island on Sat and had the best time…adding that to my list too!

OOhh good to know. I kept thinking about your Alki 5K when we were walking over there – I want to do it now! PS – Casey has been looking into boat rentals. We NEED to do this!

Gina Reply:

Oh, I highly recommend that 5K, it would be a great first race for Sarah! Boat rental or bust this summer!!!

Amber     at 12:07 pm

Well done on the pictures, thank you for sharing such an awesome day

Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life)     at 12:18 pm

Take and share all the pictures you want of your beautiful city! I am in love with the mountains and can’t wait to visit someday :)

Amy     at 12:20 pm

Just wondering how you made the mushroom kale side dish. That dinner looks healthy & tasty. I’d like to try making it.

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See     at 12:53 pm

Such a cute day! I love that you guys took a nice stroll and then ate the whole bag of cherries. Sounds like something I’d do along the DC waterfront ;)

RLR at Mom's Magic     at 1:25 pm

Alki Beach was one of the must-see spots when we visited family out there a few years back. One of my favorite pictures of my daughter was taken there! We didn’t make it to Gasworks Park, and seeing your pictures and posts about it makes me a little sad we missed it. Guess we will have to go back!

You’ll have to check out Gasworks next time!

Sarah     at 2:01 pm

I can’t wait for Cullen to be a little older and you can venture over to the Olympic Peninsula! It’s truly magical over there.

Jen     at 2:02 pm

Cullen’s hair is getting so red. Love it! I still have hope that Wyatt’s may be strawberry blonde!

Dawn     at 3:47 pm

Oh, I’ve got to try Chaco Canyon…that looks amazing! I have been meaning to introduce myself. I’ve been reading for awhile and love both the great recipes and seeing what your cute little family is up to. I live in Kirkland too. : )

Thanks Dawn! How fun that we are both in Kirkland!

Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction     at 3:53 pm

Seattle looks like a beautiful place. Cullen is so adorable and lucky to have parents that take him outdoors as frequently as you do!

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie     at 4:21 pm

What a fun trip! All that food looks ammaazing! And Cullen is such a little charmer, I love how he hams it up for the camera!

Amelia Jan     at 4:37 pm

Where is your high chair from?? Ive seen it in other posts and I just love it! Im expecting a little one in 24 days and I can’t wait to take them to beautiful places like Seattle!

It is the Oxo Tot Sprout, and I love it! Congrats to you! :)

Mina     at 5:07 pm

Looks like a great weekend! Two questions. Are those vegan pancakes. if so whcih recipe? And also, where did ou get that purple tank? I have such a hard time finding tanks that are fitted on top and loose in the bodice.

thanks!
Mina

It was a basic fluffy pancakes recipe from All Recipes – not vegan though – had an egg! The tank is from Target. :)

Jacquelyn Reply:

I was wondering about the tank too! I found it… but only in XS.

Jacquelyn Reply:

Okay, I went on a quest and wrote a little post about finding tanks!

Madeleine     at 7:11 pm

Can you post your recipe for pancakes? I’m always less than pleased with my fluffiness (no pun intended). Thanks!!!

It was the basic fluffy pancakes recipe from All Recipes! :) They were great!

Jacki     at 11:19 pm

Curious do you ever cook healthy grains like barley, buckwheat or other whole grains? you seem to eat a lot of processed meals,

We cook grains all the time. Our favorites are quinoa (not technically a grain, but similar), millet, brown rice, and farro. I’m surprised that you think we eat a lot of processed meals. I would actually say we eat almost nothing processed, other than tofu and some occasional desserts.

Carrie Reply:

I’m surprised too! Your meals are typically: whole grain + tofu + lots and lots and lots of veggies. How weird!

Stephanie Reply:

If you looking for really health recipes with a wide range of whole grains check out Oh She Glows, her recipes are very health and she replies to your questions even if there off topic, Emily is quite a lazy cook and self absorbed blogger you’ll notice she’ll only reply if its comments that are helping her, its all about her, and her needs, sorry emily but its true

Stephanie you are not clever. You are posting from the same IP address as Jacki. To your point, I agree that Oh She Glows is a great place to find healthy recipes! I recommend Angela all the time.

Coco     at 2:55 am

What a beautiful day! The rice bowls look amazing, yum!

Angela     at 6:36 am

You had me at Pirate festival. ;) I love that you can see the snow capped mountains beyond the beach…so gorgeous. We’re hoping to get to Seattle when we go to B.C end of summer…I will definitely look up all your posts on what to see & do.

Ahh I hope you do! I would LOVE to see you guys! Keep me posted. :)

Angela Reply:

Yes, I would LOVE that! I will let you know our plans. :)

Leah     at 6:49 am

I love Theo chocolate. Such a great company!!

Leah     at 6:51 am

P.S. Sometimes a little beach tent is easier than an umbrella (comes in a carrying case with a shoulder strap). That way it’s perfect for when little ones want to take a nap. I think it’s lighter to carry compared to an umbrella as well. :)

Marissa@ohhhsolovely     at 9:26 am

what a nice weekend! cullen has the biggest smile, which is just adorable. theo chocolate is now my all time favorite. my husband bought some for me & ever since, i’ve been addicted. good stuff!

lee     at 9:48 am

I am in awe of your bald eagle picture! How crazy and fun to be walking along and then, “oh look, there’s a bald eagle.”

When I was living in Texas, I had a similar reaction when I saw my first “wild” armadillo while a friend and I were hiking. It’s like I see animals so many times in zoos and on nature shows that I somehow forget they actually exist outside of that, too. =)

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama     at 10:15 am

I am crushing every bag of cherries I’m buying these days too! So good!

Lauren     at 10:33 am

Emily I just love reading your blog. You are not cheesy-what you said about raising Cullen there was so sweet. My husband was born in Tacoma and lived in Federal Way-they moved here to Chicagoland when he was 5 but they would go back and visit friends. He actually has great memories living there. I was lucky enough to go once and it was the best trip. It was several years ago but I know we went to the ice caves, sunrise point (or sunset?) at Mt. Rainier, this incredible temperate rainforest, took a ferry to vancouver island and went to butchart gardens. I tell you all this so maybe you will visit these amazing places too :) Thank you for sharing so much with us!

These all sound like great spots! Will definitely add to my list. :)

Jaclyn @ JustJac     at 10:39 am

Sounds like a nice little Sunday – and a delicious dinner! – with the fam. Being away from the city this summer sure does make me miss it! <3
You guys always look so happy, I know Cullen IS going to love growing up there!

Rachael     at 3:35 pm

Hey Emily,

That dinner you made looks fabulous! I have a similar “go-to” dinner formula (sauteed kale, rice/sweet potato, and tofu/salmon) but the extras you added to that looks so good! Can you give your recipe for the spiced mushrooms, and explain how you cooked that runny egg? I’m drooling over it :)

Hungry in Austin,
Rachael

PS-your little man is just the cutest! His smile is just so big and joyful! You have a special man on your hands!

Sure! I actually just did the mushrooms and kale in the leftover blackening seasoning with a bit of sesame oil. Cooked until soft. The runny egg is cracked into a hot pan and cooked until the white is almost done on top, then flipped over to finish off for about one minute. Easy!

Sarah     at 10:33 am

I made a Korean-inspired recipe out of Cooking Light called Bibimbop that was very similar to the Revel bowl.

It had sesame oil seasoned rice and then sauteed separately with a light soy sauce mixture were spinach, bean sprouts, and shittake mushrooms. It also had pan fried tofu and some shredded carrots lightly blanched in a rice vinegar mixture. And finally, an over easy egg on top. Very similar! It was also a bit over-complicated. I think I’ll give yours a try!

Kristin Boyd     at 1:09 pm

I am coming to your town! Would love to go to this very beach… and possibly see you? Hope you’re well!!! Love following the blog and seeing your adorable family.

Ummmm this needs to happen! Are you just following me around the country? :) I would LOVE to see you! Please let me know when!! xoxo

Kristin Boyd Reply:

Yes, this is all a great Emily-stalking scheme. I still have your number — I’ll shoot you an e-mail with specifics. I’ve been in touch with Roberts too — I hear you’re seeing some Denidoo folk tomorrow. Have fun!

Amber (Samblanet) Potter     at 7:41 pm

I was just in Seattle for a work conference and at one of the events they had Theo chocolate and Fran’s chocolate. The sea salt/chocolate combo is AMAZING! I kept going back to the chocolate booths all night!

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » West Seattle 5k Race Recap (19 Weeks Pregnant!)     at 2:53 pm

[...] Cullen cheered from the sidelines.  I had only ever been over to West Seattle once before – last summer – and I have been itching to get back.  On a clear, summer day this area provides some of [...]

The Quest | justjacq     at 12:51 pm

[...] on her that are tight on me, but I want those tanks.  To see what I’m talking about, click here.  And as I was perusing the comments on that post I noticed that I am not the only one that wants [...]