Nine Months.

Cullen turned nine months old this weekend.  On the outside as long as he was on the inside, right?  Not quite, actually.  I was pregnant for a total of 286 days, and as of Saturday, Cullen has been here for 274.  But who’s counting?

Here we are just nine short weeks in…

And now nine joyous months later!  No way that is the same child.  (And I look like I haven’t slept in nine months…)

This month has been way too much fun.  His changes and milestones are coming fast right now.  It’s funny how baby development seems to come in waves.  A few weeks and months have passed where it felt like Cullen continued to learn and grow, but didn’t necessarily do anything new or noteworthy (Who am I kidding?  Everything is noteworthy in this house.).

But this month he has really been working hard.  Last month was all about climbing, and this month has been all about standing and trying to walk.  His newest trick?  Standing up in the middle of the room.  He can now go from a squat to standing – and hold it with decent balance – without pulling up or climbing on anything.  I’m amazed by how strong he is these days!

Now that he’s standing and balancing well on his feet, he’s trying to take a few steps.  I know that it can actually take quite a while between standing and walking, so I’m not expecting him to take off running down the hall just yet.  But I also want to be ready if he does.  Right now he can take one step and stay up on his feet, but then usually plops down shortly after.  He’s getting more confident each day.

One of the things I love most these days is watching him play.  He’s very good at independent play, and when he’s in the zone with his toys I usually just sit back and watch.  Although I have to watch from an arm’s length…

This little guy is fearless, and definitely knows no boundaries.  I’m working on trying to have him understand things like no, ouch, and icky but for now he thinks it’s all pretty funny.

As far as toys go, right now he’s really into blocks and puzzles.  Not doing puzzles, but eating them.  He loves to take things out of boxes, and I can entertain him for quite a while by solving a puzzle while he takes it apart over and over again.  He’s also really into making noise – banging blocks together or beating on his new drum.  Occasionally, he will be willing to read books, but only on his own terms.

I already told you all about what he’s eating right now, and all his little chompers are helping him chew and explore new textures and tastes.  I can’t believe he has so many teeth!

As far as sleeping goes, he’s still getting up once around 4:30am.  We’ve tried a variety of dropped feedings, crying it out, etc. but he just won’t budge on this early wakeup.  For now, I’m getting up and feeding him at 4:30, and then we both go back to sleep.

He wakes up for good around 6am, and then we’re up for the day.  He’s down to two naps a day – usually around 8:30am and 2pm – and bedtime is at 6:30pm.  I pray for the day that I see more than 5-6 hours of sleep each night!

To celebrate his nine month milestone this weekend, we took him to the zoo here in Seattle.  He’s at a perfect age where he can finally interact with the world around him.  I had so much fun showing him the animals and then watching his face change as he saw them.

zoo

He finished off his big day with some bubbles in the backyard.  He makes even the most simple of things so much more fun.

bubbles

Nine Month Rundown:

• New Foods:  figs, raspberries, black beans, and spinach.
  • Breastfeeding:  Still nursing 5 times a day.  Planning to go to at least one year.
  • Teeth:  Six, going on more.  He’s super drooley right now!
  • Noises:  Bababa is still his favorite.  Also short bursts of “Ahh!”
  • Weight:  Finding out on Wednesday.  I’m guessing close to 20 pounds.
  • Likes:  Dancing, standing, Aunt Sarah, visiting the goat down the street, baby swings, eating books, being tickled, playing peekaboo.
  • Dislikes:  Getting dressed, having his diaper changed, having his nose wiped, not being allowed to stand in the bathtub, sitting in the stroller for more than 30 minutes.

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie     at 4:38 pm

Omg he is so cute!! And he just seems SO happy!! I’m so happy for you and your family and can’t believe how quickly time is passing, I feel like I was just reading on here with you doing your monthly fruit update!

Haha! Monthly fruit update made me laugh. :)

jenny     at 4:42 pm

yayyy! loved reading this and seeing the latest pics. cullen is a gorgeous babe and you are still glowing. such a hot mama! miss you guys!

Madeline @ Food Fitness and Family     at 4:46 pm

Our babies are growing so fast!! He is absolutely perfect! So crazy that he will be walking soon!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries     at 4:48 pm

what a cutie he is!!! before you know it, i’m sure he’ll be saying “no” to everything and anything. ;)

Alison     at 5:10 pm

He looks like such a joyful and active baby! God bless him and your family!

Alex @ Raw Recovery     at 5:29 pm

Every time I see him I think he has to be the cutest baby boy in the world. I really don’t know if I’ve seen a baby that has been beautiful from day one. I’m sorry if this comes across as creepy, I really don’t mean it to, but I think you are so gorgeous Emily. You have such a beautiful family.

Oh and I saw the broccoli and carrot toys stuffed toys at Ikea about a month ago when I was moving into my new apartment and I literally started yelling at my parents, “OH MY GOSH I saw these on my favorite blog!!”…they thought I was a little old to get them. :)

Thanks so much Alex! :) You are so sweet! Too funny about the veggies, haha.

Haley S     at 5:44 pm

He’s so stinkin’ cute and absolutely has the best smile!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama     at 5:46 pm

Enjoy every minute! It’s funny how at every stage you think this is the best time but then a new development comes along and you think xx time is the best age. Trust me when I say, it will get even better! And you will be getting more sleep. ;)

Sana     at 5:52 pm

:) So sweet!

Leslie     at 5:54 pm

He is a beautful boy. What a little blessing he must be to you all. You seem to be a natural at motherhood. He is thriving and you seem to be thriving as well.

Felicia (Natural + Balanced)     at 6:12 pm

check out that baby diaper butt! i love it! he is too cute and growing so quick. also i think its amazing that you are still breast feeding and plan to go a year!

Erica     at 6:18 pm

He is changing so quickly from an adorable baby to a handsome little man!

Lindsay     at 6:30 pm

Love how you highlight play in this post. Play really is so important to childhood development!

Purely Twins     at 7:12 pm

He is getting so big! He is adorable, love his smile. It is almost like we can hear him laughing.

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See     at 7:28 pm

My exact words to my roommate: “OH MY GOODNESS, HE IS LITERALLY THE CUTEST BABY ALIVE!” And of course, she knew exactly what I was talking about :)

Haha!

Sarah G     at 7:36 pm

Love this post!! ALl the photos are fantastic, but I think my favorite is reading on his own terms with Aunt Sarah… Awesome stance there. He’s such an amazing kid (and that’s saying a lot since I have two of my own that are pretty phenomenal :)

Thanks Sarah! :)

Kathi     at 7:49 pm

What a handsome boy, so much character in his facial expressions. About bedtime, if you consider he is sleeping 10 hours at a time at night, that is a great thing. Maybe you could slowly start moving his bedtime later in the hopes he will sleep later in the morning. Sleep is so precious at this age for all of you! ;-)

Julie Reply:

I was going to suggest extending his bedtime, too. 6:30 seems really early. Good luck! He’s absolutely gorgeous! LOVE the pics! He’s gonna be walking soon! :)

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma)     at 8:49 pm

He is still the cutest baby boy I’ve seen!

Julie @ Wearing Mascara     at 9:22 pm

How is he already 9 months?! Gah, time goes quickly. He’s so cute and clearly very happy.

Elisabeth     at 10:29 pm

What a happy baby! He’s gotten so grown up this last month it seems :)

melissa daams     at 12:30 am

He’s adorable. I can see you are enjoying motherhood. They grow so dang fast – it’s unbelievable. I never thought I would have a 6 year old… and I got three kids now. The bummer thing is I’m really aging now… got lots of gray hairs to prove it!

Haha I already think I am looking MUCH older in just nine months… :)

Kristen @ Change of Pace     at 4:08 am

It feels like I just read the blog post on you having him! I followed all along with your pregnancy and now I can’t believe he’s 9 months old. It’s so great watching him grow. It’s funny how we all get attached to these little blogger babies :)

Shari     at 4:46 am

He truly seems like the happiest baby! :)

Tracy     at 5:28 am

I just love your blog! But I adore your Cullen updates!! What a beautiful happy little boy!! Its so fun to see him grow :)

Maria     at 5:52 am

My daughter is about 3 weeks older than Cullen, so I love reading your updates. She also held out on the 3 am feeding until about 2 weeks ago.I honestly hadn’t tried that hard to get her to drop it because it just seemed like more work than getting up to nurse her for 10 minutes and going back to bed. She just suddenly started dropping it and doing 4 big feedings (probably about 24 ounces total which is what they need at this age), so once she slept through the night a few times, she took in more during those feedings. She hasn’t been 100% consistent yet, but 5 out of 7 nights this past week is pretty great. Have faith that he will drop it!

This gives me hope! :)

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama}     at 5:58 am

Oh, he’ll be walking in no time! My daughter went from standing for a second or two to walking in less than a month. So much fun!

Uh oh! :)

emily     at 6:19 am

I cannot believe he has 6 teeth!!! My 14.5 month old has 6 and that’s quite the norm :)

Me either!!

Ashley     at 6:29 am

Hmmm, is it weird that I want to come photograph Cullen? He just looks like so much fun in front of the camera!! :) Congrats on 9 months. Looks like you are both doing amazingly well!!!

Um NO. Not weird at all. I want that to happen too! :) He IS fun to photograph if you can get him to SIT STILL. 80% of my pics are always blurry. :)

Leah     at 6:45 am

I see the IKEA veggie stuffed animals in the background (broccoli and carrot). My friend has those in her nursery for her baby arriving this Labor Day.

They are the cutest!

Michelle G.     at 7:07 am

Yay Cullen!!!! Feel free to post another video of the little guy playing.

Haha okay. :) I just took a bunch of new ones!

Lee     at 8:00 am

I bet he’ll be walking (and talking!) before you know it.

Jessica @ New Girl, New City     at 8:15 am

He’s getting so BIG!
And I love him standing on those chubby adorable baby legs of his.. precious!!!
I remember when you first found out you were expecting him.. time flies!

Amber K     at 8:24 am

Aw, what a sweet, happy little guy. Can’t believe he’s already nine months old!

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy     at 9:22 am

I love your blue striped tank! Such pretty colors. You are raising such a cute, adventurous little boy.

Kaci Blake     at 9:29 am

Wow, he’s grown so much!! Adorable!

Vicky (little baby, big city)     at 10:08 am

They grow up so fast! My little guy just turned six months and it feels like a lifetime ago when he was born!

Katie     at 10:23 am

He is definitely one of the cutest baby boys I’ve ever seen!

MommyPage     at 10:56 am

We loved looking at your pictures! You and your son are adorable and look so happy. Thank you for sharing these photos!!

Thanks so much!

Lara     at 10:59 am

He is just SO darling, I can’t even stand it!

I’m inspired by your success with breastfeeding. Way to go on going for a full year! I’m starting out with the goal of 6 months and hope to inch myself to go longer ;)

My original goal was six months too. I’m actually feeling conflicted about quitting at 12 months, but we’ll see when we get there. :)

Maggie @ Kitchie coo     at 12:08 pm

I love this post. My daughter is almost two, and so far every age has been my favorite age. She is so much fun! She didn’t sleep through the night until she was 11 months old, so I feel your pain. But, the good news is that she is an AWESOME sleeper now that she’s learned how. Happy 9 month bday to your little guy!

Gives me hope! :)

Kelly     at 1:40 pm

He is just precious. Absolutely precious!!!!

Angela     at 2:56 pm

What a sweet picture of Cullen at the zoo! Thanks so much for sharing what’s happening at this point for him. It’s so interesting to see how he is developing!

dervla @ The Curator     at 7:00 pm

Oh my gosh, he looks like the sweetest little thing and that smile is so wide! I second what another commenter said above, try moving his bedtime a bit later. He may be going down too early. Have you tried a bedtime of 7 or 7:30? It might do the trick and get him to skip that 4am feeding and get up at 6 instead.

It’s amazing how quickly they grow up!

Yeah we have tried, and he just can’t seem to stretch it any longer. Occasionally we’ll get him to stay up until 7pm, but it never seems to make him sleep any later. :/

Maria     at 7:12 pm

Question: How is it breastfeeding a baby with 6 teeth?? I ask because my mom told me as soon as I started getting teeth is when she stopped breastfeeding. I’d like to breastfeed for at least a year, but the teething scares me a bit…OUCH! hah!

We have had a few biting incidents that are PAINFUL. But most of the time he’s pretty good about it. I definitely watch more carefully and don’t let him linger too long when he’s done eating anymore!

Leah     at 9:44 pm

He’s getting so big! What a cutie! He looks so strong and by the looks of it will be walking soon. Congrats on the bfing. I was conflicted on when to stop nursing my first. He had food allergies and continuing past one made sense for us. My second had medical issues & self weaned before one. Just do what feels right for both of you. Great pics btw too!

Sherrill     at 10:17 am

I’m so happy I found your blog while searching for a vegan spinach artichoke dip. The recipe looks delicious, btw. My granddaughter is also nine months, so I was delighted to share your blog with my d-i-l. I know she’ll love it!

MommyPage     at 4:04 pm

Your son is adorable and very photogenic!! I hope you are having fun with him and cooking for him.

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » 10 Months.     at 10:44 am

[...] biggest development this month?  Walking!  In his nine month update, I wrote that he had started standing and taking one step with balance.  That changed just a [...]

at nudes     at 8:35 am

I needed to thank you for this fantastic read!! I absolutely enjoyed every little bit of it.

I’ve got you book-marked to look at new stuff you post…