For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

To Market.

In the past few years, as we have moved all over the country, one of the things I’ve really enjoyed is exploring farmer’s markets in different cities.  I’ve found that there is something that universally familiar and comforting about farmer’s markets.  You can learn so much about your community, local food scene, and nearby farms and restaurants by browsing the booths and talking to vendors.

Understanding and getting to know my community makes me feel like I’m part of it.  And so in each city we’ve lived in, I’ve sought out markets, found my favorites, and made a point to be a supporter of my current food scene.  I need things like produce and eggs anyway, and I get so much more from the experience of shopping markets than trudging through the grocery store.

During our year in Charlotte, my favorite spot was the Matthews Farmer’s Market.  A cute little spot that was so popular with locals, you had to get there by 8am or all the produce was gone.

And when we moved to Alexandria, one of the things I found hardest to say goodbye to was my beloved King Street Market.  I still find myself thinking about it on many Saturday mornings.

And so this past year here in Seattle, I’ve been doing my best to get around to as many markets as possible.  Seattle has an amazing neighborhood market scene, with many popping up on weekdays as well as the bigger weekend markets.

Again, I have found my favorites.  Juanita Beach market on Fridays, and the bigger Fremont and Ballard markets on Sundays.  But there are so many I still need to see, so I’ve been trying to add to my list little by little.

Last Thursday, I headed to a new-to-me market down in Bellevue

The market was new but I recognized vendors from some of the other markets around the city.  A pretty good selection for a Thursday evening!

One delicious surprise – the Molly Moon’s ice cream truck!  This truck used to be parked outside my house in Fremont all the time last summer, and Sarah and I were guilty of getting ice cream in our pajamas on more than one occasion.  Now that I know it’s there, I’ll save room for next time.

There was a great selection of veggies – summer food makes me way too happy.

They also had a local farm selling eggs!  I’m really picky about where we buy our eggs, so I was thrilled to finally find a market with a direct local source.  I picked up two dozen for $6 a piece.  Local eggs cost a bit more, but to me the payoff is well worth it.

I browsed the booths with my two favorite sidekicks.

I picked up a few specific items I was looking for – zucchini and kale – along with this giant 1/2 flat of organic berries for $16.  A great price for so much fruit, and some of the best strawberries I’ve had all summer!

I can never seem to leave the markets without buying fresh flowers.  A tiny bundle of sweet peas for only $5.  It brightens up our whole living space!

As much as I would love to spend every day browsing local markets, that’s definitely not realistic.  And while I do love supporting local farms and businesses, I also keep an eye on the prices, as sometimes market prices can be exceptionally high (and other times they are surprisingly low!).  So to supplement what we buy at the weekend markets, we’re also receiving fresh fruits and veggies through our produce delivery CSA

I’ve shown you guys some of what we received before, but I thought I’d give you another look at what we’re cooking this week.

In the greens department, we have rainbow Swiss chard, fresh spinach, and a head of local lettuce.  It all feels very fresh and crisp!

This week’s fruit just screams summer.  Cantaloupe, lapin cherries (we live in cherry country!), black splendor plums, peaches, and strawberries.  It’s so nice to have all this fresh fruit on hand for Cullen’s breakfast and snacks!

The rest of our tub is full of veggies – two local Walla Walla sweet onions, local field cucumbers, zucchini squash, broccoli, and bi-color corn.  We will be eating well this week.

The last item in our basket was this bunch of crazy looking stragglers.  Have you ever seen or used garlic scapes?

If you have garlic scapes in your CSA or markets this week, I have a delicious recipe coming up tomorrow that you should like!

So that’s where we’re shopping, and what we’re eating this week.  Shopping at the markets is something I absolutely love, and it’s been a great way for me to quickly feel at home in each of my new cities.  There are still many markets I need to visit and explore here in Seattle.  One weekend at a time!

Ali @ Peaches and Football     at 6:18 pm

I love the idea of joining in a CSA share next summer. I often don’t buy veggies because I overlook them but if they are coming each week – you just have to eat them or there’s no room in the fridge. I’ve found a couple that look like winners for next year (they sell out so fast) and I’m excited to sign up!

Natalie Rae     at 6:41 pm

Love University District Farmer’s Market on Saturdays- I follow it with awesome lunch on The Ave – Great grilled vegetable sandwiches at the Shawarma King across the street as well as very different awesome Indian at Chili’s and Trinidad food at Pam’s. My favorite consignment store is the Buffalo Exchange down the street next to The University Bookstore. My favorite falafel is Aladdin Gyro restaurant (there is two Aladdin’s).

The one Farmer’s Market I have been meaning to try is the Queen Anne thursday market- I know it has a lot of street cart / food truck food but I am not sure about the produce etc.

UDistrict market is high on my list – I’ve heard many great things!!

Jessica @ New Girl, New City     at 7:01 pm

I’ve actually never been to a farmer’s market before but I JUST moved to the Charlotte area so I will definitely be checking out the one you mentioned!

Katie @ Soulshine and Sassafras     at 7:41 pm

I look forward to my Sunday morning market trip all week!

Lena     at 7:49 pm

Great post!! I totally agree when it comes to farmers markets. When we lived in Australia I would go every Sunday with my mum and brother and loved getting to know all the farmers. I found in the winter here the farmers aren’t really worth going to as there isn’t much produce to choose from, but now Summer is here in Seattle/Kirkland, I want to try out all the markets in our area. Make sure you try out the one in downtown Kirkland on a Wednesday afternoon. It is a little bigger then the Juanita markets.

I keep meaning to get to the one on Wednesdays!! Maybe tonight…

Laura @ She Eats Well     at 9:04 pm

I haven’t even ever heard of garlic scape, but I love garlic and so this post makes me want to go in search of it. And I’m with you – shopping at markets is fun and is something I look forward to as well. I love my Sunday Farmers Market in SF.

Maybe for locals it’s a big tourist trap (like Pike Place is for us), but I LOVED the market at the Ferry Building during my visit to SF!

Grace (My Spare Oom)     at 10:34 pm

Mmmm, love farmer’s markets! Make my heart happy. Emily, have you seen Angela (Oh She Glows)’s recipe for vegan garlic scrape pesto? It looks delicious and she raved about it!

Yes! Love Angela’s recipes!

Kelly @ My Love Affair with Running     at 1:06 am

Those berries look so lush and delicious! What a bargain! For a small punnet of blueberries is Australia, we pay a ridiculous $8!
So… enjoy :)

Amanda     at 4:24 am

I’m looking into a CSA here, I had just found one for my area in FL right before I moved and then never got one again. The farmers market is pretty nice here too, I’m just lost sometimes on the prices and wether or not it is actually better. I’ve been trying to pay more attention when I’m at the store, I’m normally a “its good food and we need it” and don’t look overly much at prices when I really should because we really aren’t made of money :)

Felicia (Natural + Balanced)     at 9:24 am

i grilled garlic scapes after putting olive oil and S&P on them and they were great!

That sounds delicious!

Wanda     at 9:31 am

I have been reading your blog for a few months now. Enjoyed yesterday’s post. I leave in Charlotte and shop at Mathews Farmer’s market each week. I LOVE IT!!

They have really expanded it and now have a mid-week market in the summer. This past year they even had a 2 hour market in the winter. Went every week to get fresh stuff.

Love your post

So glad to hear the Matthews market is doing well!

Amateur Mommy     at 10:05 am

OH, that’s what they are called?? We got some in our CSA bag, so I just chopped a bit from it and tasted it– it reminded me of a cross between green onion, garlic and chive, so I’ve been putting them in sauteed potatoes. Very good, and they keep for a long time!

Janelle     at 10:05 am

I don’t know why but reading about how people grocery shop, which farmer’s markets they go to, and how much produce they buy in a week NEVER gets old to me. I find it comforting that you buy so much produce, because I’ve been trying to eat a lot better, and I’m amazed at how much I have to buy (and we’re only a family of 2)! (Though, I’m not complaining about the price, because I’m sure I save money by not purchasing a lot of processed foods. Living in Chicago, I also pay $6/dozen eggs to get good quality eggs from the farmer’s market. It’s worth it to me too, and I definitely can’t raise chickens in our non-existent backyard.) Thanks for sharing!

Agreed – raising chickens is NOT an option for us! I’ll pay the $6 to know they came from a good place. We don’t eat that many of them!

Kathy     at 11:35 am

I’m like a kid at christmas when I see a farmer’s market. And where we live, we have very few. So I go crazy when I get to go to one. I can’t believe how expensive your eggs are though. We have local homes that sell eggs, most are between $1.00 and $2.50 a dozen. I rarely see them at markets here. We live in the country though, so a lot of people have their own chickens; maybe that’s why they are so cheap. I sure wish we had a selection of markets though

elizabeth     at 12:33 pm

I love green garlic and garlic, but the scapes aren’t my favorite and usually I don’t save them after cutting them off the plants. A lot of people like scape pesto, I sometimes add them minced to soups or stir-fry if not too tough.

elizabeth     at 12:35 pm

Are you sure those are sweet peas?

Yep! I worked in a flower shop for a few years, so I know flowers pretty well. But the lady selling them at the market also called them sweet peas!

elizabeth Reply:

They are very pretty, but don’t have pea foilage. Are they in the pea family or just some type of flower called “sweet pea” Normally sweet pea blossoms stick up from the plant and you don’t get any foilage when you cut them.

Hmmm maybe you are right! Perhaps the lady at the market just called them sweet peas to keep it simple. Good to know! They are pretty, regardless. :)

Bethany @ Accidental Intentions     at 1:20 pm

I loooooove farmer’s markets. In college there was one two blocks away from where I lived, so I would go every Saturday. I could get bell peppers there for 50 cents each, when at the grocery store they were two bucks! SUCH a steal! I haven’t had a chance to investigate any markets in Chicago since I moved here, but I really need to make that more of a priority. Fresh food is just so much better!

Kiki     at 9:59 pm

those are godetia flowers!

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Garlic Scape Edamame Hummus.     at 9:59 pm

[…] But in the back of my mind I was remembering that I had promised you a use for those pretty garlic scapes.  […]

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See     at 10:42 am

I adore farmers’ markets but with such steep prices and me with a college budget, I definitely have to compromise on some things. Living in DC though for almost a year, I’ve still never been to the King Street Market! Any other Alexandria recommendations out there?

sam     at 8:06 pm

That CSA box looks awesome. I’m having the hardest time deciding whether or not to commit to something similar here in Chicago. There’s a service for it, but I don’t know if the price tag is worth it. The reviews on Yelp are great (for this particular one I’m considering), but I think I’m a creature of habit and like to meal plan! Maybe a few more posts about your CSA box will do me in. All I know is that when I make trips to the farmers’ market, they’re much more expensive.

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Quinoa Stuffed Squash Boats.     at 8:34 pm

[…] bought these giant zucchini at the Bellevue Farmer’s Market with this dish specifically in mind.  While I used zucchini, you can really use any variety of […]

MommyPage     at 4:11 pm

Your farmers market looks like fun! They are always fun to go to with the family. I hope you found a lot of great fruits and vegetables.

running shoes