To Market.

In the past few years, as we have moved all over the country, one of the things I’ve really enjoyed is exploring farmer’s markets in different cities.  I’ve found that there is something that universally familiar and comforting about farmer’s markets.  You can learn so much about your community, local food scene, and nearby farms and restaurants by browsing the booths and talking to vendors.

Understanding and getting to know my community makes me feel like I’m part of it.  And so in each city we’ve lived in, I’ve sought out markets, found my favorites, and made a point to be a supporter of my current food scene.  I need things like produce and eggs anyway, and I get so much more from the experience of shopping markets than trudging through the grocery store.

During our year in Charlotte, my favorite spot was the Matthews Farmer’s Market.  A cute little spot that was so popular with locals, you had to get there by 8am or all the produce was gone.

And when we moved to Alexandria, one of the things I found hardest to say goodbye to was my beloved King Street Market.  I still find myself thinking about it on many Saturday mornings.

And so this past year here in Seattle, I’ve been doing my best to get around to as many markets as possible.  Seattle has an amazing neighborhood market scene, with many popping up on weekdays as well as the bigger weekend markets.

Again, I have found my favorites.  Juanita Beach market on Fridays, and the bigger Fremont and Ballard markets on Sundays.  But there are so many I still need to see, so I’ve been trying to add to my list little by little.

Last Thursday, I headed to a new-to-me market down in Bellevue

The market was new but I recognized vendors from some of the other markets around the city.  A pretty good selection for a Thursday evening!

One delicious surprise – the Molly Moon’s ice cream truck!  This truck used to be parked outside my house in Fremont all the time last summer, and Sarah and I were guilty of getting ice cream in our pajamas on more than one occasion.  Now that I know it’s there, I’ll save room for next time.

There was a great selection of veggies – summer food makes me way too happy.

They also had a local farm selling eggs!  I’m really picky about where we buy our eggs, so I was thrilled to finally find a market with a direct local source.  I picked up two dozen for $6 a piece.  Local eggs cost a bit more, but to me the payoff is well worth it.

I browsed the booths with my two favorite sidekicks.

I picked up a few specific items I was looking for – zucchini and kale – along with this giant 1/2 flat of organic berries for $16.  A great price for so much fruit, and some of the best strawberries I’ve had all summer!

I can never seem to leave the markets without buying fresh flowers.  A tiny bundle of sweet peas for only $5.  It brightens up our whole living space!

As much as I would love to spend every day browsing local markets, that’s definitely not realistic.  And while I do love supporting local farms and businesses, I also keep an eye on the prices, as sometimes market prices can be exceptionally high (and other times they are surprisingly low!).  So to supplement what we buy at the weekend markets, we’re also receiving fresh fruits and veggies through our produce delivery CSA

I’ve shown you guys some of what we received before, but I thought I’d give you another look at what we’re cooking this week.

In the greens department, we have rainbow Swiss chard, fresh spinach, and a head of local lettuce.  It all feels very fresh and crisp!

This week’s fruit just screams summer.  Cantaloupe, lapin cherries (we live in cherry country!), black splendor plums, peaches, and strawberries.  It’s so nice to have all this fresh fruit on hand for Cullen’s breakfast and snacks!

The rest of our tub is full of veggies – two local Walla Walla sweet onions, local field cucumbers, zucchini squash, broccoli, and bi-color corn.  We will be eating well this week.

The last item in our basket was this bunch of crazy looking stragglers.  Have you ever seen or used garlic scapes?

If you have garlic scapes in your CSA or markets this week, I have a delicious recipe coming up tomorrow that you should like!

So that’s where we’re shopping, and what we’re eating this week.  Shopping at the markets is something I absolutely love, and it’s been a great way for me to quickly feel at home in each of my new cities.  There are still many markets I need to visit and explore here in Seattle.  One weekend at a time!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama     at 10:45 am

I just tried garlic scapes last year from our CSA. I diced it up and threw it in a stir fry. It gave a nice garlicky kick.

I love farmer’s markets, too! Everything looks so fresh and delicious that it’s hard to walk away without buying one of everything.

afarmerinthedell     at 11:08 am

I love garlic scapes! I work on a farm and our favorite thing is garlic scape pesto. Delicious!!

Kristie Reply:

I was going to say that too – garlic scape pesto is freaking delicious if you like garlic :).

Erin Reply:

Yep! Me too! Got scapes last year in our CSA and they suggested making pesto–big hit, for sure! :) (And soooo easy!)

katie Reply:

just ran across this recipe for garlic scape pesto!

Erica     at 11:14 am

We are finally getting a great market going here in Pensacola Florida and I wish I could afford to do all of my shopping there! I never checked for flowers before but I’d love some of those pink beauties to brighten up our house!

Andrea     at 11:16 am

I took my boys to the crossroads one last tuesday and it was really fun, too! I gave each of my boys a few dollars to pick out veggies for themselves. My 5 year old was so proud of his haul.
I really want to check out the Juanita one on a Friday evening… we were over in the area having lunch with hubby but left the area too early :(

Stephanie     at 11:20 am

Do you happen to have Heidi Swanson’s Super Natural Cooking book? There’s a great recipe for garlic scape soup. Here’s an adapted version: http://www.mnfoodassociation.org/recipe/garlic-scape-soup

Yum! That sounds delicious! Love 101 Cookbooks.

Liz     at 11:28 am

This is totally off topic to today’s post, but I’ve been searching your site all over and I can’t find it.

I know when you were back in DC that you and Casey traded in your vehicles and switched to one. I remember really liking it and now I’m in the market for a new vehicle and can’t remember what you bought.

What did you buy and do you still like it?

We did! We traded both of our cars in and got a Lexus RX350 SUV – we love it! Great car, and we really like being a one car family. Casey rides the bus to work everyday, which saves us a lot of money.

Leah     at 11:31 am

Love the chalkboard displaying all that is going on at the market! :)

Kristen     at 11:33 am

Hello!
I have been reading your blog over the past few months, and have really enjoyed it. I love reading all your back posts, lots of good stories and tips. I have gotten CSA’s off and on over many years, but often get overwhelmed with all the greens (especially more bitter greens), and have trouble using them. I am curious what you do with all of your greens?

We do a lot of kale chips, and when I have leftover greens that aren’t being used, I tend to throw them in smoothies (spinach) or the juicer (lettuce).

Jen     at 11:43 am

mmmm garlic scape pesto is one of my favorite things :)

Jessica J.     at 12:12 pm

I haven’t been to a lot of the local markets but I’d definately recommend the Redmond Saturday Market. I drive from Bothell for it!

Kathy Steger     at 12:13 pm

I really enjoyed reading this post with all the beautiful and appetizing photos you added. Truly made me feel as if I was strolling thru those markets.

Maureen     at 12:22 pm

Oh how I LOVE local produce! Sadly, my local Farmer’s Market is only on Friday mornings when I usually have to be at work. We do have a local farmer that sells his produce right off the farm road though, so I stock up when I can!

Sarah @ The Strength of Faith     at 12:27 pm

Does your neighborhood allow you to keep chickens? I live in a small country town, so a few of my friends have chickens and share the eggs when they have extra. It’s nice because I know exactly how the chickens are treated.

Ashley Reply:

YES – this x2. When I read that the eggs cost $6/dozen I almost screamed. Chickens are so easy to take care of. Get them if you can.

Sarah Reply:

I almost screamed at the $6/dozen as well. As much as I love eggs, there’s no way could I stomach (pun intended) that cost.

Well we usually only eat a dozen each week. It’s one of the few things I’m willing to splurge on in order to know the source!

I totally agree that if that’s an option, there is no better source than your own backyard! But to simply say “get some chickens” isn’t as easy as it sounds. It’s definitely NOT an option for us, as our dogs are a hunting breed.

Ashley Reply:

I completely understand your point about your dogs. That is an important consideration, and something I didn’t think about before commenting. I only have two fat cats that stay inside, so no dogs to worry about. :)

Yeah while they have never actually BEEN hunting, they definitely have the natural instinct. Indy has killed many birds. :(

Our neighborhood does – we actually have a house with chickens and a goat up the street! But our dogs would never allow us to have chickens ourselves. I can’t even imagine.

April     at 12:57 pm

Yippe, i cannot wait for the garlic scape recipe, i have NO idea what to do with mine that i got in my veggie box on Friday:= I’m countin’ on ya Emily:)

Ingunn     at 1:03 pm

I had the most fantastic lunch yesterday and thought you might appreciate it – it was the vegan lunch buffet at Araya’s Place in Bellevue, full of tasty salads and great Thai food. It was the first time I felt like I got my money’s worth at an all you can eat buffet, because I could fill up on amazing veggies and not leave the restaurant uncomfortably full. You guys should definitely try it!

Yummmm! I didn’t realize there was an Araya’s Place in Bellevue! I have only seen the one in UDistrict. Thanks for the tip! :)

Gina     at 1:10 pm

I really like the Queen Anne market on Thursdays…there are a ton of food trucks, chef demos, music and many of my favorite farmers! I checked out Broadway this Sunday and wasn’t a huge fan…I’d stick with Ballard/Fremont! The University market on Saturday is also really good and I’ve found a few farmers with organic produce at better prices than most!

Good to know!! I just read your post on the QA market recently. Looked like fun!

Lee     at 1:22 pm

Walla Walla will forever remind me of Tonya from The Real World.

Even in the burbs of ATL where I live, they just opened a Thursday night Farmers Market and it is awesome!

ME TOO! She was one of the worst characters ever.

Carolyn     at 1:37 pm

I laughed seeing the Walla Walla sweet onions. I live in Walla Walla and those onions are the highlight of our summer meals for breakfast with eggs, lunch on salads or sandwiches and grilled at dinner with chicken, hamburgers or whatever else we can think of. We buy them by the 25lb bag and they never go to waste. Hope you enjoy them!

I love farmers markets and so do my boys. Its so fun to support local businesses and eat clean and healthy at the same time.

They are so delicious! Can’t get enough. I LOVE onions.

Rachel     at 1:55 pm

I use garlic scapes like scallions or chives – they’re also just so pretty, I can’t resist buying them! They definitely look cool in a vase!

Christina Cadden     at 2:41 pm

I wish we had more markets where I live. Also, have ou or could you do a post on cleaning supplies? I am looking for better options than Clorox etc.

Anne Reply:

Mrs. Meyer’s!! The parsley soap is so yummy and fresh. We only have the dish and hand soap, but you can also buy laundry detergent and a few other things.
That’s just my two cents- hopefully she will see your comment. I’d be interested to know what she uses, too.

Kristen Reply:

I usually just use dr. bronner’s soap and water in equal parts, and sometimes add essential oils to enhance the scent (i like lavender dr. bronner’s with grapefruit essential oil). the best part is you can use it for everything. handwashing, veggie wash, countertops, etc.

looooooooooove dr. bronner’s!!

Responding now! Sorry it took me a few extra days. :)

Hi Christina! Sorry this took me a few days. Here are two posts I did for Babble on natural beauty stuff and cleaners:

For laundry soap, I use BioKleen and Meyers! Hope that helps!

Jasmine @ learning to feed yourself     at 2:45 pm

If you’re ever in Wisconsin, make sure to check out Madison’s Saturday farmer’s market. It’s amazing, and I feel lucky to have it right by campus :)

Erin Reply:

I second that suggestion! I miss Madison…

Ali @ Peaches and Football Reply:

I was in Madison for one of those markets but didn’t have time to stop and look – judging by the amount of traffic though, it MUST be amazing!!

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme)     at 3:30 pm

I bought and ate garlic scapes from my local farmer’s market in Arlington a month ago or so and made pesto with them–but I think they must have been far too mature, because it was almost inedible in garlic strength.

I’ve heard they are great in stir fries! Which is probably better for the more mature ones, as raw is a little too much. Can’t wait to see your recipe!

Erin     at 3:57 pm

Make pesto with your garlic scapes!

Elise     at 4:57 pm

I JUST read an article in the Huffington Post a few days ago about garlic scapes (and other obscure summer produce). They must be the new up and coming vegetable. :P

Erin     at 5:00 pm

Grill the garlic scapes (bbq if you have one). So yummy!

Ali @ Peaches and Football     at 6:18 pm

I love the idea of joining in a CSA share next summer. I often don’t buy veggies because I overlook them but if they are coming each week – you just have to eat them or there’s no room in the fridge. I’ve found a couple that look like winners for next year (they sell out so fast) and I’m excited to sign up!

Natalie Rae     at 6:41 pm

Love University District Farmer’s Market on Saturdays- I follow it with awesome lunch on The Ave – Great grilled vegetable sandwiches at the Shawarma King across the street as well as very different awesome Indian at Chili’s and Trinidad food at Pam’s. My favorite consignment store is the Buffalo Exchange down the street next to The University Bookstore. My favorite falafel is Aladdin Gyro restaurant (there is two Aladdin’s).

The one Farmer’s Market I have been meaning to try is the Queen Anne thursday market- I know it has a lot of street cart / food truck food but I am not sure about the produce etc.

UDistrict market is high on my list – I’ve heard many great things!!

Jessica @ New Girl, New City     at 7:01 pm

I’ve actually never been to a farmer’s market before but I JUST moved to the Charlotte area so I will definitely be checking out the one you mentioned!

Katie @ Soulshine and Sassafras     at 7:41 pm

I look forward to my Sunday morning market trip all week!

Lena     at 7:49 pm

Great post!! I totally agree when it comes to farmers markets. When we lived in Australia I would go every Sunday with my mum and brother and loved getting to know all the farmers. I found in the winter here the farmers aren’t really worth going to as there isn’t much produce to choose from, but now Summer is here in Seattle/Kirkland, I want to try out all the markets in our area. Make sure you try out the one in downtown Kirkland on a Wednesday afternoon. It is a little bigger then the Juanita markets.

I keep meaning to get to the one on Wednesdays!! Maybe tonight…

Laura @ She Eats Well     at 9:04 pm

I haven’t even ever heard of garlic scape, but I love garlic and so this post makes me want to go in search of it. And I’m with you – shopping at markets is fun and is something I look forward to as well. I love my Sunday Farmers Market in SF.

Maybe for locals it’s a big tourist trap (like Pike Place is for us), but I LOVED the market at the Ferry Building during my visit to SF!

Grace (My Spare Oom)     at 10:34 pm

Mmmm, love farmer’s markets! Make my heart happy. Emily, have you seen Angela (Oh She Glows)’s recipe for vegan garlic scrape pesto? It looks delicious and she raved about it!

Yes! Love Angela’s recipes!

Kelly @ My Love Affair with Running     at 1:06 am

Those berries look so lush and delicious! What a bargain! For a small punnet of blueberries is Australia, we pay a ridiculous $8!
So… enjoy :)

Amanda     at 4:24 am

I’m looking into a CSA here, I had just found one for my area in FL right before I moved and then never got one again. The farmers market is pretty nice here too, I’m just lost sometimes on the prices and wether or not it is actually better. I’ve been trying to pay more attention when I’m at the store, I’m normally a “its good food and we need it” and don’t look overly much at prices when I really should because we really aren’t made of money :)

Felicia (Natural + Balanced)     at 9:24 am

i grilled garlic scapes after putting olive oil and S&P on them and they were great!

That sounds delicious!

Wanda     at 9:31 am

I have been reading your blog for a few months now. Enjoyed yesterday’s post. I leave in Charlotte and shop at Mathews Farmer’s market each week. I LOVE IT!!

They have really expanded it and now have a mid-week market in the summer. This past year they even had a 2 hour market in the winter. Went every week to get fresh stuff.

Love your post

So glad to hear the Matthews market is doing well!

Amateur Mommy     at 10:05 am

OH, that’s what they are called?? We got some in our CSA bag, so I just chopped a bit from it and tasted it– it reminded me of a cross between green onion, garlic and chive, so I’ve been putting them in sauteed potatoes. Very good, and they keep for a long time!

Janelle     at 10:05 am

I don’t know why but reading about how people grocery shop, which farmer’s markets they go to, and how much produce they buy in a week NEVER gets old to me. I find it comforting that you buy so much produce, because I’ve been trying to eat a lot better, and I’m amazed at how much I have to buy (and we’re only a family of 2)! (Though, I’m not complaining about the price, because I’m sure I save money by not purchasing a lot of processed foods. Living in Chicago, I also pay $6/dozen eggs to get good quality eggs from the farmer’s market. It’s worth it to me too, and I definitely can’t raise chickens in our non-existent backyard.) Thanks for sharing!

Agreed – raising chickens is NOT an option for us! I’ll pay the $6 to know they came from a good place. We don’t eat that many of them!

Kathy     at 11:35 am

I’m like a kid at christmas when I see a farmer’s market. And where we live, we have very few. So I go crazy when I get to go to one. I can’t believe how expensive your eggs are though. We have local homes that sell eggs, most are between $1.00 and $2.50 a dozen. I rarely see them at markets here. We live in the country though, so a lot of people have their own chickens; maybe that’s why they are so cheap. I sure wish we had a selection of markets though

elizabeth     at 12:33 pm

I love green garlic and garlic, but the scapes aren’t my favorite and usually I don’t save them after cutting them off the plants. A lot of people like scape pesto, I sometimes add them minced to soups or stir-fry if not too tough.

elizabeth     at 12:35 pm

Are you sure those are sweet peas?

Yep! I worked in a flower shop for a few years, so I know flowers pretty well. But the lady selling them at the market also called them sweet peas!

elizabeth Reply:

They are very pretty, but don’t have pea foilage. Are they in the pea family or just some type of flower called “sweet pea” Normally sweet pea blossoms stick up from the plant and you don’t get any foilage when you cut them.

Hmmm maybe you are right! Perhaps the lady at the market just called them sweet peas to keep it simple. Good to know! They are pretty, regardless. :)

Bethany @ Accidental Intentions     at 1:20 pm

I loooooove farmer’s markets. In college there was one two blocks away from where I lived, so I would go every Saturday. I could get bell peppers there for 50 cents each, when at the grocery store they were two bucks! SUCH a steal! I haven’t had a chance to investigate any markets in Chicago since I moved here, but I really need to make that more of a priority. Fresh food is just so much better!

Kiki     at 9:59 pm

those are godetia flowers!

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Garlic Scape Edamame Hummus.     at 9:59 pm

[...] But in the back of my mind I was remembering that I had promised you a use for those pretty garlic scapes.  [...]

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See     at 10:42 am

I adore farmers’ markets but with such steep prices and me with a college budget, I definitely have to compromise on some things. Living in DC though for almost a year, I’ve still never been to the King Street Market! Any other Alexandria recommendations out there?

sam     at 8:06 pm

That CSA box looks awesome. I’m having the hardest time deciding whether or not to commit to something similar here in Chicago. There’s a service for it, but I don’t know if the price tag is worth it. The reviews on Yelp are great (for this particular one I’m considering), but I think I’m a creature of habit and like to meal plan! Maybe a few more posts about your CSA box will do me in. All I know is that when I make trips to the farmers’ market, they’re much more expensive.

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Quinoa Stuffed Squash Boats.     at 8:34 pm

[...] bought these giant zucchini at the Bellevue Farmer’s Market with this dish specifically in mind.  While I used zucchini, you can really use any variety of [...]

MommyPage     at 4:11 pm

Your farmers market looks like fun! They are always fun to go to with the family. I hope you found a lot of great fruits and vegetables.