10 Months.

Someone please pass the tissues.  We’ve hit double digits.

Cullen’s ninth month was a wild one.  Pretty much everything changed – eating, sleeping, walking, babbling – he has grown up so much in such a short time.

He is almost impossible to photograph these days, since he never stops moving.  Toys, funny faces, and songs are no longer distracting or entertaining.  I have to give him something like a lens cap to get him to stop for even a second.

I mentioned this in a previous post, but he has no interest in most of his toys anymore.  The only ones that he thinks are fun are the ones that make noise – a singing dog, his drum, maracas, and puzzle pieces that he bangs together.  His room has this awesome sunroom/playroom attached that is filled with nothing but toys and his changing table.  And of course – what is his favorite thing in the room?  His diaper pails.  Sigh.

He likes what he likes, and he is very clear about what he doesn’t like.

He is a totally independent little guy, which is simultaneously awesome and slightly heartbreaking too.  He seems to need and want me less and less these days, which is a good thing – he’s growing up.  I sneak hugs and snuggles wherever and whenever he will give them.

His nickname is stinker, and he more than lives up to it.  New tricks this month are tossing toys from the car seat, throwing his pacifier out of the crib (and then crying for it), eating anything made of paper, and dancing.  He does this hilarious bounce move when he hears his favorite songs.  Casey and I die laughing every time he does it.

He has this amazing curiosity about the world.  We leave everyday in the afternoon to go do something – the grocery store, a trip to the swings, a walk in the park, a play date with friends – it doesn’t matter what.  He just really likes to be out of the house and around new noises and faces.  He gets too bored at home (okay, I do too).

He also loves playing with his baby friends.  They are all in an awkward phase where they want so badly to interact with each other, but don’t quite know how.  There is a lot of hair tugging, toy stealing, hat removing, and forehead bumping going on.

I can honestly say that this month has been one of the most fun, and yet most exhausting months of my life.  He just goes and goes and goes, and when I finally kiss him goodnight and shut his nursery door, I usually feel like crawling into bed myself.  This boy is going to keep me young – that much is for certain.  We have way too much fun.

The biggest development this month?  Walking!  In his nine month update, I wrote that he had started standing and taking one step with balance.  That changed just a few days later, and he’s gotten better and stronger with each passing day.  Now he is literally running down the halls.  He can even carry things as he goes.  (Belly button alert!)

He is fast on his feet, and can take up to 20-25 steps or so now without falling to his hands.  The main difference is that now his preferred method of getting around is walking – crawling is so last month!  He is upright basically all of the time.

He’s a total goof, and I can’t even describe what happens to my heart when he runs toward me with that giant toothy grin.  How did I get this lucky?

He is finally sleeping through the night, which has made a huge difference in the quality of ALL of our sleep.  Unfortunately, I’m also battling another tough round of mastitis.  I’m prone to it anyway, and it crept up on me a few days ago – not long after we dropped the night feeding.  It has been an ugly few days, but luckily dad stayed home today so that I could rest and recover, and Cullen got to spend some extra time with his favorite guy.

Ten Month Rundown:

• New Foods:  hummus, tortillas, tomatoes, bell pepper, beets.
  • Breastfeeding:  despite painful mastitis, we will make it to a year!  Still doing 4 feedings each day.
  • Teeth:  Seven – four up, three down.
  • Noises:  Ava, dada, and AH! – none seem to have any meaning yet.
  • Weight:  He was 18.5 lbs at the 9 month appt – I’m feeding him as much as possible to keep up with all this new activity.
  • Likes:  Peekaboo, climbing on the dogs, eating his baby monitor, Sid the Science Kid, dancing, fish faces, splashing in the wading pools, climbing steps, watching mom get mad when he opens the diaper pail.
  • Dislikes:  Diaper changes, going under water, sitting in the high chair without food, seeing someone leave and close a door.

And last but not least, a short video of him on the move!

For more parenting posts, check out the parenting page.  You can also read some of the latest on Babble:

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma)     at 9:30 pm

I can’t imagine how you must feel watching him grow! Just watching him for the last 10 months has been so entertaining. I just can’t believe he’s already walking! It’s so impressive.

Nancy     at 9:53 pm

I was thinking about what you wrote about Cullen not having any interest in his toys. Have you upgraded his toys recently? I’m just wondering if it maybe, now that he is getting older, he needs more interactive toys to hold his interest. I really have no idea, just wondering. It seems like he’s in a new age/developmental stage. On the other hand, with his new mobility, it could just be that urge to move is why he doesn’t spend a lot of time with his toys. There’s just too much to explore!

Maya     at 12:00 am

So cute!! I love love love his smile… and I agree, baby grins are best thing ever. Aside from the walking (wow!!), your 10-mos update sounds a lot like ours (Nitsah is 10 mos old today)… I love the baby music grooving and am not such a big fan of all the paper eating. Haha.

Maya Reply:

Btw, if Cullen is into real objects more than toys, he might like something like this: http://www.littleacornstomightyoaks.co.uk/Articles/Treasure_basket (He also might be too busy racing around to sit and play, but it might be worth a try.) I put together a basket for Nitsah, and funnily enough, her favorite thing is chewing on the whole lemon!

This is a really cool idea! Thanks for sending!

Angelika     at 2:34 am

I have to say I’ve been visiting your blog for a while now… love all the posts and stories…. but only now do I feel I need to say: you have a gorgeous little man! I love seeing pictures/videos of him. Just pure joy! Congrats!

Thank you so much! :)

Charlie (the runner beans)     at 3:26 am

What a cutie!!! would love to see a video of him dancing!

Erica { EricaDHouse.com }     at 3:40 am

Adorable! And not to geek out on you but I lecture in my class on the concept of Object Permanence. It’s when babies think that just because something can’t be seen – it doesn’t exist (why they love peek-a-boo!). It usually develops around 10 months and it’s a godsend because parents can’t now leave the room with the door closed behind them and the babies won’t freak (since they now realize they aren’t gone for good!)

Brittnie (A Joy Renewed)     at 3:52 am

I can’t believe he is 10 months. Makes me realize that in a blink of eye Clara will be babbling words and walking. AHH! Can we please just stop time for a little while?

I wish!

Coco     at 3:55 am

Watch out, there is a mover and shaker on the loose! He has quickly grown into a little man hasn’t he? I love his toothy grin, he always looks so happy- you are obviously amazing parents!

Red Deception     at 4:33 am

It’s been wonderful watching his growth – he’s a little man now! I didn’t realize he now had so many teeth!

Simply Life     at 4:40 am

oh he is just so cute! I love seeing his bright personality shine through and get even bigger each month!

Regina     at 4:51 am

Cullen just gets cuter every day! I remember when you first had him and I was so amazed at how adorable he was. My husband and I had just started TTC. Here I am holding our 3 day old baby boy reading your 10 month update. Crazy how time flies!!

Omggggggg congrats to YOU!!!!

Lee     at 5:21 am

Such a cutie. He is starting to look more like a little boy and less like a baby.

And, this is probably a strange thing to comment on, but I really like your washer and dryer.

Thanks! I do too. :)

Emily S     at 5:23 am

That first picture is hilarious! Such awesome facial expressions :)

My 15 month old also does the “dance” when he hears songs he likes – he has for several months. It CRACKS me up!

The dancing kills me.

Jun     at 5:24 am

Those smiles and gestures just make all your effort, time and sacrifices worth it- anyone can tell. Well done for raising him up so healthily and happily.

Thanks Jun!

Shannon @ My Place In The Race     at 5:35 am

I think he climbed those stairs quicker than I can! :D

Sarah     at 5:38 am

Cullen is so so so amazingly adorable!

Okay…I cant be the only one who wants a youtube video of this dance you mention, right?

Angela Reply:

I agree :)

Anne Reply:

Me three!! When I saw she posted a video I was really hoping it was of him dancing :)

Haha okay, I’ll try to catch him dancing in a bit. :)

Haha I will try to get it on camera!

Michelle G.     at 5:38 am

What a big boy. Do you ever use the Moby wrap or Ergo with him anymore or is completely done with baby carriers at this point?

We retired the Moby a lonnnng time ago, and we don’t Ergo that much these days either. He doesn’t like it on the back, and he’s just not into being held that much anymore.

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed     at 5:42 am

Cutest baby boy ever! Love the pictures and can’t believe he’s walking! Growing up so fast :D

Angela     at 6:16 am

These update posts are always my fav (which says a lot because I love your recipe and running posts). It’s amazing seeing the changes in him each month. I can only imagine how more tiring it is when they get to the walking stage! I can’t get over how much he smiles. He totally reminds me of my youngest nephew. Their personalities are so similar. He’s 4 years old and my sister is still chasing after him! hah. Keeping her young for sure.

Jess     at 6:16 am

I am currently in the hunt for a glider for our nursery and your’s looks so comfy! Would you mind telling me where you got it or what kind it is?

Thanks!!

I have a Dutalier that I ordered through BabiesRUs. I absolutely LOVE it. I’d recommend going to the store and testing them out – some are much more comfortable than others. Number one piece of advice – get one that RECLINES. Makes a world of difference.

Sara     at 6:20 am

That video of him walking is so adorable!!!!

Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy     at 6:21 am

He is so cute! His smile is infectious :)!

Alison     at 6:33 am

So adorable!! Cullen is so active and joyful :) Time does fly! My baby cousins seem to be growing and developing at rapid speed, ahh! I just want to hold them again without them running away!

Kathy     at 6:42 am

My sons favorite pasttime was sitting on the kitchen floor while I got dinner. I would open the pots & pan cupboard and give him a large spoon. He would sit and pound, clang lids and wear them on his head for hours. You might need a set of earplugs, but it was harmless fun for him. He thought it was great! I can’t believe how fast those 10 months went. He is growing up so fast.

I’ve been giving him measuring cups!

Ali @ Peaches and Football     at 6:42 am

It’s funny – I remember as a kid always rolling my eyes whenever my grandparents would see us. They’d come up once or twice a year and the first thing they’d say was “oh wow, you kids have grown up and gotten soooo big”. Sounded like a broken record to us but when you see such differences in a month, makes you realize they probably were blown away each time they saw us. :-) Kids grow up fast – probably a good thing so you can get back to regular sleep at some point!

Haha yes! My mom is always blown away by how much he’s changed when she seems him every few months. Pictures just aren’t quite the same.

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries     at 6:55 am

I can’t get over him. So stinkin’ cute!

April     at 7:01 am

Ahhhh, i love your ‘montly’ updates on Cullen…cuz Jack is one week younger:) I am so relieved to hear you feel like he doesn’t ‘need’ you anymore, i have had the same feelings and it makes me sad:( I try to get as many snuggles in as i can too!
I hope your mastitis clears up ASAP, sorry to hear that girl!!!!

Heathers Creative Concoctions     at 7:16 am

I absolutely love reading your posts on Cullen growing up, he seems so full of joy and you make me look forward to motherhood just that much more. Good luck keeping up with him and his new found freedom! :)

Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover!     at 7:52 am

Oh my goodness, what a character! He is so adorable, and his little personality just screams from the computer screen. Here’s to many more months :-)

kelly     at 7:59 am

haha, my daughter always has a lens cap in her hands in all of her photos too! :)

Katie @ Soulshine and Sassafras     at 8:44 am

Cullen is such a great little guy! Having a baby must be so much fun – you get to relive all the new discoveries of the world around you :) I’m so sorry about your mastitis though! Feel better!

Elisabeth     at 9:00 am

He is seriously adorable with that hair! Definitely gonna be a heartbreaker ;)

Sure hope you’re feeling better today!

His hair is outta control. :)

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama     at 9:08 am

So, so fun! There really is nothing better than a baby/child running toward you with a big smile. Enjoy!!

Ellen     at 9:09 am

I just live reading these posts! They’re so much fun! How blessed you are to have a happy, healthy, energetic, and well-loved 10-month-old . I remember following your pregnancy journey and it’s crazy because it doesn’t seem that long ago. I’m so happy for your happy little family! :)

Amanda     at 9:51 am

what a little cutie pie & adventurer!! absolutely adorable!!

Maria     at 10:22 am

That is so exciting about Cullen’s progress! Emily you should try eating more fermented foods (e.g. lacto-fermented vegetables, kefir, homemade raw milk yogurt, kombucha, etc.) as they have been proven to help prevent mastitis. This article: http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/fermented-foods-help-prevent-mastitis/is useful in case you’re interested.

I drink kombucha every night! We just started brewing our own.

Angela     at 11:17 am

Thanks for sharing his update! I hope that your mastitis gets better. That’s no good. Have you had it at other points also? Do many breast feeding moms get it?

This is my third time. :( I don’t know if many moms get it, but those that do are more prone to getting it multiple times. It is NOT fun!

Maria     at 11:42 am

Good for you for trying to make it to a year. Gabby sprouted 8 teeth in 2.5 months, so the teething just took too much of a toll and created a bad cycle of milk blisters and clogged ducts. I started weaning her on her 10-month birhtday which was a very hard decision but a very necessary one. I’m still keeping the morning and evening feeds for now, but I can tell that it is coming to an end as she is losing interest as we approach month 11. I thought I would be more emotional, and it is bittersweet, but it was getting to the point that I started to absolutely dread her latch. I work part-time, so I have to say I feel so much less stressed no longer dealing with the pump at work! I’m proud that as a working mom, I was able to keep it up for as long as I did though considering I started off with a 6-month goal. Good luck with the last 2 months!

Thanks Maria! Sounds like you did a great job. I’m sad about the emotional part of weaning, but I know it has to happen soon!

Tami Eaton     at 12:16 pm

If you can part with some of your kitchen equipment, my favorite toys were pots and pans and wooden spoons. Sometimes I wonder why we spend so much money on toys. Even empty boxes are so much fun for kids. Cullen is adorable!!

Wow, he has grown up so much! What a precious boy.

dervla @ The Curator     at 1:49 pm

wow what a cutie pie! He’s an early walker too, that’s wonderful. I always felt like each month was better than the last!

Emily @ Life on Food     at 2:56 pm

His faces are so cute!

Danielle     at 4:09 pm

It’s just crazy how fast time goes and how fast they grow! My sister’s oldest had his first day of preschool this week. She called me in tears as soon as she got back home from dropping him off!

Julie (A Case of the Runs)     at 4:26 pm

Wow, he’s really active now! I’m not sure many other 10-month-old babies already walk and run around like that. Looks like he’ll be a future athlete.

lisa     at 6:33 pm

I’ve been reading your blog for the past couple of months and it is awesome. I started it from the beginning and it’s been great seeing how things have changed for you in the past few years. You have an awesome family and gorgeous son! Great example of healthy living and I love your recipes.

Tammy Root     at 7:04 pm

OMG, he is so stinking adorable!!! I LOVE the video. :)

angela     at 8:16 pm

I am so glad you posted a video! As I was reading I was hoping I’d find one at the end. Cullen is too cute. We are just about 2.5 months behind you and I keep saying “this is what Jack is going to be doing in TWO MONTHS!!” It’s amazing how fast the time flies and how much they grow!

Leah     at 8:25 am

Feel better soon!

Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction     at 1:12 pm

I dont believe Cullen is already 10 months!!! I feel like I was JUST reading you pregnancy updates! Time goes by SO quick! You are so lucky to be such a great photographer. Surely you have captured so many memories that you will be able to tell him about once he is older.

Meaghan @ Bambino Mom     at 12:54 pm

Hey! Our sons aren’t that far apart! Mine is 11 months old – approaching that 1 year mark wayyy too fast.

Anyway, I wanted to tell you, I battled some serious recurring mastitis issues in the beginning, and my lactation consultant recommended Lecithin. You can get it at GNC, and I’m sure you’re probably familiar with it considering your culinary background. But it absolutely made a difference for me and I recommend it regularly to other BF mamas that struggle with mastitis from time to time. It’s also great when you start weaning. Good luck!