August.

No food or baby pictures today.  It’s been a day of reflection.  This morning I found out that my Grandma passed away overnight.  While it was not unexpected or really even surprising, I have found myself much sadder than I’d anticipated.

She lived 97 amazing years.  Can you even imagine?  I wonder what it must have been like to watch her world change so much over almost a century.

download (640x427)

She lived far away in Florida, so our visits with her were always special.  And while she never baked me cookies or saw me in a school musical, she was a comforting and warm presence that was always with me.

She and my Grandpa exemplified what love is, and even as a little girl I loved watching them interact and catch each other’s eye across a room.  We’d visit their house and be on our best behavior, since there were always fancy rugs and lots of breakables.  I’d ask about paintings and sculptures in order to hear stories of their travels all over the world.

At the time, I didn’t know how extraordinary or special it was, but each year they arranged for us to have a giant family vacation.  We have a big family – 5 aunts and uncles, 15 first cousins, plus Grandma, Grandpa, and a handful of other great aunts and others.

We’d travel from all over the country – Ohio, California, Florida, and beyond – and all connect in Hilton Head, South Carolina for two glorious weeks of togetherness.  It was always the first two weeks of August, and I looked forward to it all year long.  I idolized my older cousins, loved the energy of our house packed with 30+ people, and started a love affair with sand and salt water that I still have today.

With our family spread so far apart, we only had the chance to get together once a year.  Those weeks my Grandparents gave us in Hilton Head are some of the best memories I have of my (somewhat confusing) childhood.  They rented bikes for us, took us on sailing trips, and and provided an unimaginable amount of food.  But the real gift at the end of it all was the feeling of being surrounded by the unconditional love you can only feel with family.

The end of our Hilton Head trip was the symbolic end to our summers. It meant a long car ride home, new back to school outfits, and a coming year of school schedules and gymnastics practices.  And all year long, I’d look forward to August when it our car would pull up the driveway on Turtle Lane, and our two weeks of uninterrupted playing and laughing would begin.

Capture (365x393)

I spent two weeks a year with my Grandma, and a few Christmases and other visits sprinkled here and there.  Over the course of my 31 years, that’s not really all that much time.  But she has been a constant and reassuring presence in my life.

Of course, today, I am wishing there had been more.  I feel a bit emptier.  I can’t quite place what it is, but I know that something is missing.  And while I knew she wouldn’t live forever, after 97 years I was starting to think she might.

She outlived her husband by twenty years.  I hope that this morning they have reconnected somewhere.  That feeling brings me some peace.  She has waited so long.

I talked to my wise cousin Sarah this morning, and shared how sad I was feeling.  I told her I knew it was coming, but somehow I was still surprised.

Sarah responded with, “She made it to August.  I knew she would.”

August.  Of course she did.

Kate     at 5:48 pm

What a beautiful post. Very sorry for your loss. So glad that you have such wonderful memories that clearly helped make you the wonderful woman and mama that you are today. Love to you and your family.

Hannah     at 5:48 pm

Sorry for your loss. Grandmas are special.

Alison     at 5:49 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss. Your grandmother sounds like an incredible woman and may God rest her soul.

Christina     at 5:52 pm

What a beautiful, heartfelt post! It sounds like your Grandmother’s was a life well lived, filled with family and love. What more can any of us hope for.

Christa     at 5:57 pm

Beautifully written, Emily. A good reminder to treasure our families.

Leatitia     at 5:58 pm

*tears* I’m so sorry for your loss. I lost my grandmother last January and I still feel sadness when I think about her. She was such a strong, yet generous woman. I’m sure your grandmother is watching over all of you. *hug*

purelymichelle     at 6:00 pm

sorry for your loss. losing a loved one is always hard. thinking of you and your family!

Whitney     at 6:00 pm

I pray that God gives you a sense of peace with the loss of your grandma. It sounds like she lived a beautiful life and I hope she is looking down on you!

Kate     at 6:03 pm

sorry for your loss. I share your love of Hilton Head! I grew up vacationing there with my family every summer, we would rent bikes, rock in the rocking chairs at the harbor, and sing along with Greg Russell under the oak tree. Now my husband and I take our three daughters there. There’s nothing like the smell of Sea Pines. Your entire family should join together next August to celebrate your grandmother, your love of family, and love for the island. Hilton Head is calling you home.

Alisha     at 6:06 pm

I’m so sorry to hear about your family’s loss. What a beautiful and eloquent tribute to your grandmother…. thoughts and peace to you and your family during this time.

Abby     at 6:09 pm

So sorry for your loss. Grandparents always hold such a special place in our hearts.

Erica     at 6:09 pm

I’m so sorry to read this, but what a beautiful tribute to your grandmother and your family! I too love Hilton Head and it holds a very special place in my heart. My grandparents used to take us there (or Williamsburg, VA) every summer for a week. Our last Hilton Head trip was in 2004, and my grandpa was sick with lymphoma, and he just enjoyed sitting on the beach watching ‘the kids’ and see how we had all grown from toddlers to teenagers.

Kelly     at 6:13 pm

What an amazing post. So sorry for your loss. I’m glad she made it to August – it’s a great month. I get to celebrate my late grandma’s birthday in just a few days, without her, but it’s still a very special day to me.

Kristin     at 6:15 pm

So sorry to hear about your grandmother. This is such a beautiful post.

Beks     at 6:18 pm

I’m sorry to hear of your grandmother’s passing, but it sounds like you have some amazing memories. Something you can tell Cullen when he’s older.

Lauren     at 6:19 pm

Such a beautiful post Emily….what a beautiful tribute to your grandmother. Cherish the wonderful memories you have of her.

Jacquelynn     at 6:20 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss… what great memories! She is in a much better place. It is definitely tough getting older, ourselves… we experience more loss. You and your family are in my prayers!

Jordan     at 6:23 pm

Beautiful post; so sorry for your loss. I truly admire your ability to write about such a sad subject with such grace and beauty. It is clear that you put a lot of time, effort, and thought into each and every post, and I really respect that. Keeping you in my thoughts.

Carol @ Lucky Zucca     at 6:26 pm

So sorry for your loss. It sounds like she had an amazing life. Love & prayers, Emily!

RachelSD     at 6:26 pm

So sweet, a beautiful post about beautiful family memories.

Kim     at 6:27 pm

Em…what a beautiful tribute to your grandmother. As a grandmother, I know how she must have felt about her family and grandchildren in particular. And, I feel your sadness as well because I know how much my grandparents contributed to my life. Prayers and hugs for you my friend.

Betty     at 6:32 pm

So sorry about your grandma – when you wrote that it was the first 2 weeks of august that the family got together, I immediately thought ‘ how cool, that she died at the same time. Just think, this is one more time of the year for you to remember those special family moments – a gift from them – your grandparents, that will keep on giving forever.

And Emily, your writing when you are conjuring up your memories and deepest thoughts, is sooo captivating.
Thanks for taking us along.

Alyson     at 6:33 pm

I’m so very sorry for your loss; thank you for sharing your memories and formative years. I think this is one of your best posts ever, even though it diverges from the usual topics of your blog.

Marci     at 6:36 pm

Sorry for your loss, what special memories! I hope you can create new ones for the next generation.

Becky     at 6:36 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss, Emily. Thank you so much for the lovely post – my Grandma’s 97th birthday is next Monday, so this post really hit close to home. Like you, I’m so thankful for those wonderful special times, no matter how limited, that I’ve had with my granny. Take care.

Lee     at 6:38 pm

This is a beautiful post, Emily. Your grandmother sounds like she was a wonderful person.

Kelly     at 6:38 pm

Oh, Emily. What a beautiful and moving post. Grandmas are special people and I’m so sorry yours is gone. Big hug.

Kathi     at 6:41 pm

What a beautiful tribute Emily. And she made it to August, so that all of you can remember those August days and her with so much love.

saikhnaa     at 7:02 pm

Sorry for your loss. She has amazing yours. wow 97

Michelle Mielke     at 7:05 pm

Emily, thank you for sharing so many found memories that you hold so dear of your Grandmother and allowing us to be apart of your grieving process in this beautiful reflection. My sympathy pours out to you and your family.

Erin     at 7:10 pm

I am so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful tribute to your grandmother, though. I am sure she knew how much she meant to you.

Jen     at 7:20 pm

What a beautiful post, my great grandmother made it to 97, I thought she would make 100. I too think of all the things she must have seen in her 97 years. she too lived in fl till she was 92 but then moved to cape cod to live with my great aunt, I got to visit her a lot those last 5 years and loved to hear her stories of the old days, they have so much wisdom. Sorry for your loss.

Kristina     at 7:26 pm

Beautiful post, Emily. My condolences to you and your family.

Maria     at 7:27 pm

Thoughts are with you and your family. What a beautiful story to give us readers a glimpse of your life with your grandmother. Childhood summers are such precious memories for myself as well.

Emily     at 7:30 pm

I’m so sorry for your family’s loss, Emily. Thoughts are with you during this difficult time.

I’ve never lived near my grandparents, so I’ve always treasured my limited time with them. Your words reminded me how grateful I am for that unique relationship.

dervla @ The Curator     at 7:33 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss. It sounds like she lived a long life and loved her family very much. Those two weeks a year were probably so precious to her. Your post was beautiful.

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma)     at 7:36 pm

So sorry for your lost, Emily. She seems like she was a great grandmother. This was a beautiful post.

Kari @ bite-sized thoughts     at 7:36 pm

I went through this last month with my 92 year old grandfather. Being expected doesn’t stop the loss & my thoughts are with you & your family xo

Colleen     at 7:39 pm

Beautiful reflection! My condolences to you and your family. Grandmothers are amazing people. They have their own way of connecting us to our past and bringing us together in the present. I lost one of my grandmothers 2 weeks 2 days before Thanksgiving (exactly 3 years and 2 weeks after my grandfather). Even though her multiple strokes took her away from us 5 years ago, her passing was still very hard on all of us. But knowing she is with her love of her life again and remembering those moments we had makes each day a little better. Plus we have another guardian angel looking out for us from above.

Lara     at 7:39 pm

Such a lovely post, Emily. Thank you for sharing a little about your family and childhood…what a lovely tradition to have! I’m so sorry for your family’s loss. You may not have spent a lot of time with your grandma, but your words and memories show how much you loved and treasured her. Hugs to you.

Caroline Costa     at 7:41 pm

That is such a sweet post of you. I’m sorry for your lost. But I believe death is just a beautiful passage that marks the evolution of a being. I’m sure your grandma enlightened this world during this 97 years and now she is ready for a new kind of light. Lots of love to you and your family.

Krista     at 7:46 pm

This was a beautiful post Emily, you totally made me shed a tear or two. I too lived far away from my grandparents growing up, and now that I’m older, wish I was able to spend more time around them before they had passed. I will always cherish the few memories we did have together, which like you, involved some beautiful summer vacations.

Tricia     at 7:49 pm

So very sorry for your loss.

sarah     at 7:56 pm

that picture of you and dana is awesome.

one thing I didn’t touch on in my tribute is how crazy-in-love she and grandpa were. we visited them briefly right after matt and joyce got married – shortly before grandpa died – and she was wearing his wedding ring on a chain around her neck (he’d had to remove it for some medical reason) and I commented that it was like they were high school sweethearts and she was wearing his class ring. She cackled in glee!

Allie     at 7:57 pm

So sorry for your loss, Emily. I know how hard it can be to loose a grandparent. Your post was absolutely beautiful. You reminded me that we need to treasure the moments we have with those we love – I am going to go visit my grandmother this weekend!

Red Deception     at 8:10 pm

So lovely. I am so sorry about your loss. My Grandfather passed away this spring, and he was also 97. It is difficult to lose someone so wonderful. You will be in my thoughts.

kayce     at 8:12 pm

This was a beautiful tribute to your Grandmother. I think death always feels like a shock, even when you know it’s coming. I lost my mom a month and a half ago and even though I knew it was coming it was still a surprise. Sending good thoughts to you and your family.

Ann     at 8:15 pm

What an absolutely beautiful post. Thank you for opening your heart and sharing your love of your very special grandmother. Your love resonates. I am so sorry for your loss. Peace, light and love to you and your family.

Socal Rachel     at 8:35 pm

Thank you for sharing this wonderfully written post with us. I found myself tearing up. May you always hold dear to your heart your special memories of August with grandma and family.

Andrea     at 8:46 pm

Beautiful memories…Grandmas are special… hugs to you and your family.

mollie k.     at 9:08 pm

I’m so sad for you and your family…I lost my grandma 10 years ago this month and I still miss her so much. Thinking of you!

Elisabeth     at 9:13 pm

Such a beautiful post, Emily! Even if it was not unexpected, it’s still a shock to lose the special people in our lives. Hugs to you & your family. By the way – fabulous picture with her & the three girls :)

Katie @ Soulshine and Sassafras     at 9:33 pm

I’m so very sorry, Emily. She sounds like a wonderful person. You and your family are in my thoughts.

Jess     at 9:36 pm

Sorry to read this. Your grandmother was obviously well loved, and had a great life.

Kaitlyn @ Keeping up with Kaitlyn     at 3:52 am

I’m so sorry for your loss, Emily. Praying for you and your family during this time.

jenny     at 3:56 am

emily! you write so beautifully. i got goosebumps at the end. thinking of you and your family right now. big hugs!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats     at 4:12 am

I’m so sorry to hear about your loss. My great aunt passed away at 95 a year and a half ago and we knew it was coming, she was very ill, and yet somehow I was surprised to get the phone call. She was one of my greatest role models so I know what you mean about feeling of emptiness. Just remember the things about her that you want to exemplify in your own life and who knows, maybe you’ll be the one brining everyone together in Hilton Head one day.

Beth     at 4:13 am

Emily,
I’ve been reading your blog for almost 2 years now ( found it from JL of JL Goes Vegan, a former co-worker of mine) and until now I don’t think I’ve ever left a message. This post really resonated with me. I lost my grandmother last summer, the first grandparent for me to lose. It was devasting. She basically raised me and my sister. I totally understand the empty feeling and wanting more time. She was 90 and lived a long full life, and yet, I wanted her to live longer. I guess I’m writing to say I understand and I’m sorry. Take care.

Brittnie (A Joy Renewed)     at 4:27 am

A loss of a grandparent is never easy whether you see it coming or not. Thinking of you during this hard time. Very thankful you have such wonderful memories of such a special lady!!

Shari     at 4:59 am

I’m so sorry for your loss, Emily. I lost my grandmom in 2010 and my gram in 2011, and even today, the sadness is indescribable. I’ve found some peace in the beautiful memories, though, and hope you’ll be able to do the same. Thinking of you and your family.

Krissy @ Shiawase Life     at 5:30 am

Much love to you and your family, Emily. I lost my grandma this Spring so I can relate to your feelings right now. Hug everyone extra hard today <3

Simply Life     at 5:42 am

so sorry to hear about your loss- what a beautiful way to remember her.

lisa     at 5:50 am

Such a beautiful post!! Definitely had me choked up by the end. I always enjoy your writing Emily. So sorry about your loss.

Catherine     at 5:57 am

Oh Emily, what a legacy your grandma left for your family and what a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing this. I lost my grandma in May, and it is never easy, no matter what. Thinking of you and your family today.

Casey     at 5:59 am

Praying for peace for you and your family during this difficult time. 97 years! Wow, what an amazing life and legacy to leave behind.

Leslie     at 6:14 am

Sincerest condolences to you and your family. Memories will keep your Grandma alive in your hearts always.

Melissa     at 6:20 am

Emily, our prayers are with you and your entire family. Please know that although none of us may have met you face to face, if we could reach out and give you a hug we would. You’ll be in our thoughts today.

Carolina     at 6:37 am

What a beautifully written post. Thank you. A reminder of the importance of family. Sorry to hear about your grandmother’s passing…I didn’t grow up near my 2 sets of grandparents and lost the grandmother I was very close to when I was 5. I think about my 8-mo old daughter now and how she’s also growing up away from her extended family and it makes me sad. How fortunate that you had your grandmother for this long…and all those memories you mentioned will last so much longer. That’s the good part! Take care of yourself…

Danica @ It's Progression     at 6:45 am

I’m so sorry for your loss, Emily.

Jennifer     at 7:01 am

What a wonderful post honoring your grandma. She and your grandpa sound like wonderful people who gave you such great memories. My grandparents are the same way, and I appreciate the role they played in my childhood. I miss them so much.

I’m sorry for your loss but happy that you have those memories.

Libby     at 7:01 am

This is a beautiful post. My condolences to you and your family.

Gwen     at 7:02 am

<3 thinking of your fam.

Samantha     at 7:02 am

What a lovely post and I love the legacy of family and love she has left you. It just goes to show how important those examples are for the generations than follow. Take care and thank you for sharing her with your readers!

Ashley     at 7:06 am

Thinking of you Emily and I’m so sorry for your loss. Beautiful post. Your grandmother sounded like an incredible woman! How lucky you and all of your cousins were to have her as a grandma!

Katie A     at 7:10 am

I am so sorry about your loss and I will keep your family in my thoughts!

Alisa     at 7:12 am

I really like this post – it’s so beautiful. Eight years ago, my grandfather, lifelong Red Sox fan, died just before the Sox won their first world series since 1918 (when he was one year old!). Sometimes the timing of these things is so weird but meaningful.

Leah Reply:

Alisa,

I can relate to your story. My grandfather lived just long enough to see them win. When he passed away the one thing I asked for of his was his Red Sox hat. :)

Kristi     at 7:14 am

*Hugs*

Shaunna@mamas13minutemile     at 7:16 am

What beautiful memories of your grandma. :)
Good vibes sent to you and your family!

SueP     at 7:19 am

I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for taking the time to write this beautiful post.

Stephanie @ LoveLaughterLight     at 7:41 am

I’m so very sorry to hear of your loss, Emily! I have recently returned from a visit with my grandma (only remaining grandparent) and I cherish those days I spent with her. Grandmas are indescribable LOVE!

Hugs from Colorado

Tiffany     at 7:44 am

Emily, so sorry to hear about your grandma. Mine just turned 87 and as I read your tribute to yours, I thought of mine. Brought tears to my eyes. I felt the same way as you when my grandfather passed away, and I know I’ll feel the same when it comes time for my grandma. Thank you for sharing.

Leah     at 7:53 am

Beautiful post, Emily. What a wonderful way to say goodbye.

Jorge     at 7:53 am

So sorry to hear about your grandma, Emily.

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme)     at 7:53 am

I’m sorry for your loss! My family has been going to Hilton Head every summer for as long as I remember as well! I totally recognize that picture of the bridge in the background (Sea Pines!). This post was a great tribute to her.

Also–did you ever listen to Greg Russell as a kid at Harbour Town??

Nell     at 7:54 am

I’m so sorry to hear about your loss! My Grandma is 83 and her health is slowly declining and reading your story made me realize, even more so, that while some of us are not/were not able to have that textbook grandma and grandpa story, we can still cherish all of the memories we have of them. My grandma lives about an hour away and when we were little, we’d see them periodically throughout the year and on major holidays. Now that she is not feeling all that well, I see her once a week. I hope you and your family are doing well, as with any loss, it can be a difficult time but it’s wonderful to keep her alive with all of your wonderful memories! Thank you for sharing this private and personal event in your life with us.

MIchelle     at 7:59 am

So sorry for your loss. That was a beautiful tribute to her though and what wonderful memories you have. Thank you for sharing.

Kaci     at 8:01 am

So sorry :( XOXOX

Sharon     at 8:01 am

Your Grandpa was waiting for her. I have no doubt of that. I’m glad you have such great memories. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Elyse     at 8:08 am

Emily, I’m so sorry for the loss of your grandmother. She sounds like a wonderful woman and your thoughts about her being reconnected to your grandfather are beautiful.

Also wanted to say that my family vacationed nearly every year in Hilton Head too–often in August. We usually stayed in Sea Pines, but my cousins stayed at Turtle Lane. I wonder if perhaps we could’ve been there at the same time! Thanks for posting pictures from your visits there, they brought back great memories for me as well.

Aimee     at 8:09 am

Those beautiful memories have shaped you into the amazing woman you are today. Hugs and prayers

Colleen     at 8:35 am

This post brought tears to my eyes. I’m so sorry for your loss, Emily. I’ll be praying for your family.

Sneakers2Sandals     at 8:39 am

I hope too that your grandmother and grandfather have reconnected. They must be together thinking about how wonderfully special their lives were and so very proud at the fruits of their labor. They had a large hand in creating that big family of yours and I know she has a special place in your hearts – and each August you will forever take a moment to think of her…

my thoughts are with you and your family.

Theresa     at 9:12 am

You have me in tears, what beautiful memories. I love that, “she made it to August”. It makes me think of my Gram too, she also lived to 97. I loved her stories and thinking about all of the history she had. I am sorry for your loss. It’s nice to think she is with your grandpa now. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Mia (Savor Everyday)     at 9:16 am

I am so sorry for your loss, Emily. What a heartfelt tribute to your grandmother and the memories you shared as a family.

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed     at 9:22 am

So sorry to hear! I’ll keep you and your family in my prayers!

Ashley Austrew     at 9:28 am

This was SUCH a beautiful post. I’m so sorry for your loss. It’s evident from your words what a special woman and connecting force in your family she was. I hope that you find some peace and know that your post has inspired me to hug my loved ones a little tighter today. Thank you.

Julie     at 9:39 am

What a lovely post! So sorry for your loss. :( What wonderful memories you have! There is no doubt in my mind that your Grandpa was waiting w/ open arms & that they are having a glorious reunion. :)

Cara     at 9:45 am

Emily – You are such a gorgeous, soulful writer. Sending comforting thoughts your way from DC.

Elizabeth     at 9:47 am

I’m so sorry…beautiful post.

Amy     at 9:56 am

Hoping you find peace and comfort in those memories. My thoughts are with you…beautiful post.

charity     at 10:37 am

Beautiful post! It gave me goose bumps!!

Christina     at 11:06 am

I am so sorry for your loss. Expected or not, it is always sad and a little shocking.

Sarah G     at 11:09 am

Such a beautiful realization… August. My deepest condolences. I’m moved to tears.

jane     at 11:20 am

i just clicked over to your cousins blog and your grandma sounds so much like mine. especially the kids relegated to the other room part so the adults can have their drinks in peace part. but as i have gotten older my grandmother has started to “like” us more. some people dont like little kids-and thats alright! but as a child it can seem like your grandma doesnt like you. so sorry for your loss

Jo @ Jo In the Kitchen     at 11:26 am

I’m so very sorry for your loss. Even when you know it’s coming, it doesn’t make it any easier.

misha (emerald city diaries)     at 11:27 am

i am sorry to hear about your loss. your grandmother sounds like an amazing person and you were so blessed to have a family member that brings you such joy. it is always difficult to lose someone you love, whether they live close or far-away. my thoughts are with you and your family.

Amanda Perry @ Sistas of Strength     at 11:31 am

That is so sweet. I love how you are cherishing the memories you had with her. She must have lived one great life! Sending prayers and hugs. XO

angie     at 11:32 am

I am so sorry for your loss! I am sure she and your grandpa have found each other in heaven!

Tams     at 11:39 am

So sorry to hear of your loss Emily. I hope the great memories help to make you less sad about her passing. Something tells me she is now safely snuggled in your grandfather’s arms and together they are joyfully watching over all of your family!

Alex @ Raw Recovery     at 11:45 am

I’m so sorry for your loss, Emily. It is always so difficult to have someone you love and care about pass away. I am sending you lots of love, good vibes, and peace during this difficult time. If there’s any consolation I can provide, please let me know.

Patty     at 11:45 am

What a beautiful post! I can’t help but wonder if I passed you and your family while my family summered on HHI, such an amazing place to have great memories.

Shannon Bell     at 12:48 pm

so sorry to hear, grandmas are certainly some of the most special people in our hearts :-)

Madeline @ Food Fitness and Family     at 1:16 pm

I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family as you grieve the loss of what seems to be an extraordinary woman.

Losing a grandparent is inexplicable. I am down to one grandmother and her battle with cancer is nearing a close. While I “expect” the news in the somewhat near future, actually hearing it is another story. We can never “prepare” for the loss of someone we hold dear.

Beautiful post Emily. I am sure she and your grandfather are smiling down on you for sharing their obvious love of each other and all of you.

Army Amy*     at 1:39 pm

Emily, this is a beautiful tribute to a woman who obviously meant a lot to you. My condolences during this difficult time for your family.*

Sarah     at 1:44 pm

So very sorry for your loss, Emily.

Caroline     at 2:57 pm

So sorry you lost your grandma. Yesterday was the 2 year anniversary of my grandpa’s death, and it’s still hard for me too, even though there are so many great memories. My thoughts are with you over these next weeks and months as you grieve and process her life.

Michelle     at 3:15 pm

So sorry my cyber friend. What a beautiful, heartfelt eulogy. It brought tears to my eyes. May the memories and love of your family comfort you.

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See     at 6:58 pm

Wonderful post. My sincerest condolences to you and your family :)

Michelle     at 8:10 pm

Emily, What a loving grandchild you are, this brought tears to my eyes. I am so sorry for your loss. Sending hugs, Michelle

Natalie     at 9:20 pm

So sad for your loss. Those memories are ones that you will absolutely cherish forever. Hopefully they will only help you cherish the memories you are creating now with your sweet family.

Hilton Head is also the place where I have the most vivid and sweet memories from the summers growing up. It is my family’s absolute favorite place! There is just something special about Hilton Head, South Carolina!

Marty     at 3:04 am

Emily: I’m so sorry. I lost my 98-yr old grandmother 3 years ago this month, and my father (85), in May. I realized then how personal death is and how words for, just can’t fill the void one feels. Memories are priceless. My thoughts are with you today and the days ahead.

Joy     at 3:20 am

Ohhh Emily
I’m so sorry for your loss!

Jane Plass     at 11:59 am

What wonderful memories. I’m so sorry for your loss.

Grace (My Spare Oom)     at 9:24 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss, Emily. I will certainly be keeping you and your family in my prayers. It sounds like you have wonderful memories of your grandmother – what a beautiful post. <3 and prayers to y'all!

Gabrielle     at 9:05 am

So sorry for your loss, and sadness, but what wonderful memories you’ll always have. Love the photos too!

Betsy @ A Dancer In The Kitchen     at 7:37 am

I am so sorry for your loss Emily. This was a wonderful post filled with love. I always lived far away from my grandparents growing up but so cherished every time I saw them.

Jessica @ New Girl, New City     at 4:59 pm

I’m so, so sorry for your loss.
An absolutely beautiful post.

Jane     at 2:26 pm

Hi Emily,
My name is Jane and I’m with Dwellable.
I was looking for blogs about Turtle Lane to share on our site and I came across your post…If you’re open to it, shoot me an email at jane(at)dwellable(dot)com.
Hope to hear from you!