Fresh Blueberry Corn Muffins.

I know I’ve mentioned it here plenty, but we’ve been on a serious blueberry kick this summer.  The supply is still going strong at the markets, and until they stop selling them I’m just going to keep bringing them home.

With so many blueberries on hand this week, I thought it might be fun to do something other than just shovel them into my mouth.

Fresh Blueberry Corn Muffins by Daily Garnish

It was my turn to host mom’s group this week, so I had extra motivation to create a snack that would be tasty and easy to eat.

And so while the babies took care of their important business…

…the mamas enjoyed delicious blueberry corn muffins.  There is something so wonderful about the sweet and savory combination of blueberries and corn.  And for some reason, I rarely see cornbread that incorporates actual fresh corn kernels.  I wanted to change that, and I’m so glad I did.

Fresh Blueberry Corn Muffins

by Emily Malone

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients (16 muffins)

• 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup yellow cornmeal
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/3 cup organic cane sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 tablespoon ground flax seed (+ 3 tablespoons water)
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup sunflower seed oil (or other preferred oil)
  • 1 ear fresh corn
  • 1 cup fresh blueberries

Instructions

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Stir to combine.

In a small, separate dish, combine 1 tablespoon ground flax with 3 tablespoons water to create a thickened "flax egg." Let it sit for a few minutes while it thickens.

In another small bowl, (sorry for all the dishes!) combine the almond milk and vinegar. This is a good non-dairy sub for buttermilk!  After the flax and milk sit for a few minutes, combine them together and whisk with oil and vinegar.

Add the wet ingredients into the dry bowl and stir until everything is combined. Cut fresh corn kernels off the cob, and fold into the batter along with the blueberries.

Spoon batter into a greased muffin pan, and bake for 20 minutes or until golden on top.  Cool on a wire rack before serving.

Fresh Blueberry Corn Muffins by Daily Garnish

The blueberries get all gooey and wonderful when cooked, resulting in little berry explosions with each bite.

Fresh Blueberry Corn Muffins by Daily Garnish

And the corn adds a perfect sweet crunch that I will never leave out of cornbread again.

Fresh Blueberry Corn Muffins by Daily Garnish

If it was just a little bit cooler outside, I would have made a huge pot of black bean chili and eaten the rest of these with dinner.  As it was, I ended up eating most of the batch straight out of the basket.

Fresh Blueberry Corn Muffins by Daily Garnish

These muffins feel like the perfect transition from summer into fall – my favorite summer produce baked into one of my favorite fall treats.

Fresh Blueberry Corn Muffins by Daily Garnish

It is time to pull out the puffy vests yet?  Enjoy!

Lindsay McAlester     at 4:13 pm

These sounds delicious! What a great culinary imagination you have!

Gina     at 4:16 pm

Yes! You made them…and now I will make them:)

Lauren L.     at 4:19 pm

ooo I can’t wait to try them! another hit recipe, emily :)

Julie (A Case of the Runs)     at 4:23 pm

Your dessert recipes are some of my favorites! I have bookmarked this one. =)

Debbie Flores     at 4:35 pm

Looks fabulous!! We have been on a corn on the cob kick …. LOVE fresh corn and great idea to combine it with blueberry muffins!

Erica     at 4:36 pm

Love this! I have been craving cornbread after not having it in years and was totally disappointed with the last blueberry muffin recipe I tried. Print this out tomorrow!

Lindsay     at 4:46 pm

These sound/look amazing!!

Sara Nickel     at 4:56 pm

Before you said you were going to add fresh corn, I said to myself that I thought this combination would be pretty good. Both the blueberries and corn would add a unique “pop” to the muffins. Sounds great!

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme)     at 5:36 pm

These look so delicious! I’ve added fresh kernels to muffins before (well actually frozen corn kernels, because its what I had on hand) and I’ve loved the texture and “pop” they’ve added. I need to get my hands on some good blueberries!

katie     at 5:40 pm

Totally unrelated question, but what is the name of the paint color in your dining room? We’ve been mulling over colors for days and that looks to be almost the exact color we have in mind!

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie     at 6:49 pm

Omg I love your baked goods! I need to try these!

luv what you do     at 6:53 pm

I fully support your blueberry kick! I love that this recipe has actual corn in it too. I made blackberry corn bread this summer and I loved the taste and texture of the berries in this classic side. I bet a mix of blue and blackberries would be incredible!

Katie @ Pop Culture Cuisine     at 7:09 pm

I love how Cullen sticks his butt out like that while he’s standing! So cute!! And those look yummy :)

Nikki     at 7:55 pm

Cullen’s profile in that pic kills me!!! …I’m going to tell my husband that it’s thanks to you that I’m finally starting to want a baby:-)

Alaine @ My GF & DF Living     at 9:23 pm

These look amazing! I have never seen muffins with the kernels like that. I love it!

brandee     at 10:48 pm

I can’t wait to try these! I had a blueberry corn muffin from the Flying Apron and have been looking for a recipe that incorporated the two ingredients!

Michelle@PeachyPalate     at 11:01 pm

Gorgeous! I’m such a big cornbread fan and these look incredible! I actually made cornmeal pancakes for the first time the other day with blueberries on top, such a good combo!

Ashley     at 11:13 pm

Blueberries and cornbread are a FANtastic combo!! Love!

Brittnie (A Joy Renewed)     at 3:45 am

These look easy, beautiful and delicious!! Thanks for sharing.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers     at 6:22 am

Ohh, your muffins sound wonderful! I just love blueberries!!

Ali @ Peaches and Football     at 6:39 am

We’re a few weeks away from prime muffin and chili weather here so I’ll tuck this recipe away until then. I definitely love it when corn muffins have the corn kernels in them but never have I tried it mixed with blueberries. Love the idea!

Amy     at 6:52 am

What a great combo…they look awesome!! And I too, am a lover of the puffer vest!!

deva by definition     at 6:55 am

You combined two of my favorite foods: corn muffins and blueberries. YUM!

Lately I’ve been eating blueberries mixed with lightly sweetened canned full-fat coconut milk for breakfast. Filling and not heavy!

Carrie @ Kiss My Whisk     at 7:26 am

Yummmm Blueberry Corn Muffins, I definitely want to try adding fresh corn in, love that idea!

Brittq     at 7:28 am

This look awesome. Do you think applesauce will sub alright for the oil?

Julie Reply:

It should work great! Should make them moister & healthier, of course! :)

Michelle M     at 7:34 am

These look good. I always use corn kernels in our cornbread with a little diced jalapeno and a bit of cubed monterey jack cheese. YUM! I’ve never thought to add blueberries, but it does sound delicious.

Julie Reply:

Oh, wow, that sounds GOOD!

Julie     at 8:20 am

I bet your Moms group LOVE it when it’s your turn to host! And that pic of the babies is TOO CUTE!

Megan     at 9:03 am

Thank you! I am now having another “I must make and eat these right now” pregnancy moment. :) these look delicious.

veggie     at 9:11 am

last month while traveling, i went out to breakfast and had french toast that was topped with fresh blackberry compote and roasted sweet corn. it tasted incredible! i’ve been thinking about that combination ever since.

i’ve made cornbread before with blueberries, but never put actual kernels of corn in the batter. i will have to give this recipe a try!

Jeni     at 10:45 am

Oh, this looks so yum! I am the same with corn kernals- never leave them out of cornbread or polenta dishes, it just takes it to the next level for sure!!!

Angela     at 11:19 am

This recipe looks great! Corn and blueberries, two of my favorite things! Who would have though they would make good friends in a dish ;). Thanks so much.

Erin Margaret @ Bishella     at 4:22 pm

These look so delicious. It makes me want to go clean my kitchen and go to the store so I can make them! Ha :)

Nikki     at 1:13 pm

I made these this morning… delish! The fresh corn is definitely the best part. :) Thanks for sharing such a great recipe!

Anna Thel     at 12:25 pm

Enjoy every minute Melany . I play “pick a boo” with my boys…..,I thing few weeks ago. No, I’m NOT!!!!
My boys are 31 and 24 years old, but seems like not to long ago. Even though I like my “freedom ” I miss those days.
Love, love your blog , your story and your cooking.
Looking for, what next???
Thank you for sharing . :). Ania

Jacquelynn     at 5:50 pm

I used gluten-free all purpose flour today in this recipe (it was all I had left from cooking for my gluten-free aunt), and the muffins turned out wonderful!

Thank you for the recipe!

Carolyn     at 2:26 pm

I just made these. They are great. I forgot the vanilla though. Bummer. They would be even better. I don’t show where you included the vanilla in the instructions. It is just listed in the ingredient list.

Eat well,