For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

Highlights.

I’m working on typing up a recipe for you guys, but in the meantime I thought I’d share a few highlights from our weekend.  A lot of times I show the play by play of what we do and eat, but today I thought I’d just share a few fun things.

After a teary goodbye with Sarah on Saturday morning, Casey and I took Cullen to the wading pool at Greenlake.  Even though I walk past this pool almost every single day, I had never taken him in.  It was 80 degrees this weekend in Seattle – perfect weather for a bit of splashing.

In the past – in bathtubs or swimming pools – he has never really liked getting water on his face.  So I wasn’t sure what he’d think when he slammed his hand down into the water and came up water running down his cheeks.  He laughed and smiled and splashed over and over again – totally loved it.

August 11 (640x480)

I can’t wait to take him into the wading pool again later this week (when Seattle reaches 90 degrees again – eeeep!).

And because I can’t help myself, here’s a video of our little fish enjoying some playtime in the water.

It wasn’t all just sunshine and walking – though we did do quite a bit of that.  I’m working on doing more weekly food prep on weekends these days (and I’ll write another full post on this topic soon).  Saturday I roasted a huge pot of gorgeous red beets.  You’ll see what I did with them soon!

When Casey asked me what I wanted to do on Sunday, I only had one thing on my list – buy blueberries.  I missed the Friday market where I usually buy them, and I was probably a little too concerned about starting my week berry-less.

So after a few other morning activities, we headed over to the Ballard Farmer’s Market and I crossed my fingers that my favorite berry vendor would be there.

Hayton Farms is an organic berry grower here in Washington, and they are at various local markets here every day of the week!  The berries they grow are so fresh and ripe each week, and I literally can’t get enough.

For a few weeks I was buying two flats each weekend, and then last week I stepped it up to three.  They are addictive and they disappear quickly in our house.  Best of all – they are so ridiculously inexpensive.  These two giant flats of organic berries cost just $20 – a steal.  And if you turn your old flats in you get a dollar off the next purchase.

We pulled up to the market juuuuuuuust as Cullen fell asleep in his car seat. We sat there for a few minutes debating whether or not to wake him up or just drive home. Casey offered to sit in the car and let Cullen nap so that we could still grab a few things from the market.  I looped the vendor rows until I spotted the familiar purple and pink boxes.  I happily grabbed two and made my way back to the car.

On the drive home, Casey and I did some snacking…

And somehow ate half a flat of berries in about ten minutes.  I knew I should have bought three!  My berry addiction has me seriously wishing for a deep freezer so I could buy 20 flats and keep them around all year long.  Is there such a thing as eating too many berries?  I hope not.

Julia     at 6:56 pm

Do it! Buy a deep freeze. I’d love to see the freezer recipes you come up with.

jennifer     at 8:06 pm

If u come to yakima,wa u can pick the blueberries yourself for $1 per pound!

Charlie (the runner beans)     at 12:20 am

I wish I had a cheap blueberry supply nearby, they are so expensive in the supermarkets here- especially whole foods! Must find a farmers market!
Cullen is adorable!

Lisa     at 1:58 am

First of all, holy cow those berries are cheap! It’s winter here in Australia, and at the moment, I think a 125g punnet is $8.

Secondly, I’d love to share a beet (beetroot here) recipe with you and your readers, that uses the leaves as well. My neighbor is Greek and she has taught me some very delicious recipes.

Ingredients
a bunch of beetroot (approximately 5, but it doesn’t really matter)
garlic
salt and pepper
olive oil
lemon juice

1. Cut off the stalks and leaves, as above, and then trim the stems from the rest of the leaves. Wash copiously.
2. Boil the beetroot as normal, until tender. The skin falls off effortlessly after, as you may know. Leave to cool.
3. Gently boil the leaves (you can do this in the pot with the beets, but I found more success doing it separately) until tender, but still beautiful and bright green.
4. Take out the leaves, rinse, drain, and press out as much water as you can. Try to pile them neatly in a stack/smushy pile and slice.
5. Slice the beetroot in 4s or 6s–small pieces
6. Then put the beetroot pieces on top of the greens
7. To make the dressing, add crushed/finely chopped garlic, salt and pepper, oil and lemon juice (about 3:1 oil to lemon juice) and pour over beets and leaves and toss
8. Add more freshly ground black pepper
9. Enjoy!

The beet to leaves ratio is nice with about 1:1, so you may have some beets left over, as the leaves cook down. You can use the stalks too, just throw them in!

Maya     at 2:50 am

I am so jealous!! We have a ton of good seasonal fruit here in Israel, but for some reason we never have blueberries. I miss them so much! Eat a flat for me! :)

Katie @ Soulshine and Sassafras     at 7:01 am

Now you’ve just got plenty of antioxidants!

Cara     at 7:15 am

Sweet post.

I want to have a baby! :)

Rachel @ For the Love of Chocolate     at 7:33 am

Oh my gosh, Emily, he is one of the cutest babies I have ever seen! His laugh is just plain adorable. Definitely a water baby!

Angela     at 9:22 am

That video of Cullen is adorable! Thanks for sharing ;). I’m so jealous that you have affordable organic berries close by! They look great.

Trainer Kjirsten @ Balanced Healthy Life     at 11:06 am

Cullen is such a cutie!!! I can’t believe he is already walking! What a strong little guy! I feel like it wasn’t that long ago when you had him! :)

Those blueberries look great! We love berries in our house but they are so expensive! I will only buy organic so I buy either the small pack of organic blueberries at Costco (if they have them) or the organic bag of mixed berries there. We have a farmer’s market but it is so tiny and rarely has anything other than flowers and tamales!

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See     at 1:43 pm

I think I could just sit there and eat blueberries for days ;)

Lena     at 8:15 pm

Thanks so much for sharing this post. I know you have talked about Greenlake ever since you moved to Seattle. After reading your post earlier on in the week and the weather being so great lately I know I had to check it out. I went there twice this week, once on Tues afternoon and again this morning with my mom’s group. The kids loved the wadding pool. I enjoying seeing what other’s do around this area, it gives us great ideas. I hope you enjoyed the heat today!!

running shoes