For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

Foodie Baby: Got Milk?

See also previous Foodie Baby posts: Part One and Part Two.

Cullen will be a year old next month.  I’ll spare you the commentary about how I can’t believe that’s true, etc. – because I’m sure I’ll be saying it plenty over the next month.  Prepare yourself.

Long before he was born, I had made it my goal to try to breastfeed for a year.  I set the one year mark for a number of reasons, but mostly because that is the recommended age by the American Academy of Pediatrics, and it also sounded reasonable and realistic for our family.

Generally, around one year babies are transitioned (or weaned) from breastmilk or formula onto cow’s milk.  This is the norm, and what parents and babies have been doing for a long long time.  And because it’s been the standard for a while, it seems that most people don’t really question it.

About a year ago, Casey and I both stopped eating dairy ourselves.  I haven’t made a big thing of it here, mostly because I don’t like labels and I expect that things will ebb and flow with time.  The short reason is – we watched Forks Over Knives and read The China Study, and felt like perhaps a diet void of dairy products would be healthier.  We both still eat plenty of eggs, and while I am definitely mostly dairy-free, I’m not going to turn down a piece of cake with a little milk in it.

Our decision to be vegetarian is based on ethics, and because of that, I don’t feel any flexibility there at this point in my life.  But my decision to go dairy-free was more health-based, and while health is obviously very important, I don’t feel quite as strict or inflexible if a little whip cream ends up on the edge of my dessert plate.

Let me just add that by no means am I looking to get into a debate about veganism or ethics.  We made the choice to cut out dairy and sort of see how it went – see how we’d feel, so if anything changed (for better or for worse) – just feel it out.  I’ve felt fine dairy free – to be honest, not really much different.  I guess I didn’t eat that much dairy to begin with.

Okay that was a really long intro, but I’m sure you can see where I am going with this.  We’ve been thinking and talking about this for months, but we’re nearing the time when we need to figure out what we’ll give Cullen as we prepare to transition him off of breastmilk.

I have done a lot of research and reading about infant nutrition these last few months.  Here are some of the questions I had, and the generalized answers I found from internet and book sources:

What alternatives are there for babies besides cow’s milk?

Most sources I found on vegan infant nutrition suggested either extended breastfeeding (for up to 2-3 years), or offering soy milk as an alternative.  I do not think soy is the evil estrogen-bomb that it is often made out to be, but I also don’t feel comfortable giving Cullen that MUCH direct soy on a daily basis.  He will get tofu and edamame here and there, but that’s about it.

As far as extended breastfeeding goes, I’m already dealing with my supply starting to drop as we near 11 months.  And with that issue aside, we’d like to start thinking about baby #2 sooner than later (although my heart rate increases just typing that).  I don’t appear to be an overly fertile person (if there is such a thing), and I don’t think I will likely get pregnant again until I’m done breastfeeding entirely.  This is not an immediate concern, but it’s definitely something to think about.  I’m not getting any younger!

What about other milks like almond, coconut, or rice?

These are great milks that can absolutely be part of a baby’s diet, but they lack the same nutritional profile (high fat and protein content) that you find in cow or goat’s milk.  So with that said…

What about goat’s milk?

This is an option I’m seriously considering.  Most of the research we’ve done on the health effects of dairy consumption points to casein (milk protein) as the potentially harmful component.  The casein in goat’s milk is distinctly different from cow’s milk, so I’d feel more comfortable possibly trying this.

What about cultures who are generally dairy-free?  What do they do?

Obviously this is a huge generalization, but from what I have read, many of these cultures practice extended breastfeeding – usually to 2 or 3 years of age (or older).  They also tend to eat higher rates of meat and fish, which helps include some of the nutrients that would otherwise be found in dairy products.

What about babies who are lactose intolerant?  What do they drink?

Many seem to do well drinking goat’s milk.  But like the cultures noted above, most babies with lactose intolerance are not also avoiding meat and fish, so they are able to get those nutrients from other sources.

The overwhelming takeaway from all of my research was that it’s important to remember that infant nutrition is very different from that of an adult.  They are going through critical brain and body development that requires different levels of nutrients and vitamins than we when we’re older and finished growing.  I have ethical and health beliefs that are important to me, but my main focus is on making sure my son gets everything he needs to be healthy and strong.

So with all of this said – what is the answer?  I still don’t know!  Part of me wonders if we give our babies cow’s milk because that’s simply what we’ve been doing for years and years without question.

While I worry about some of the health effects of dairy consumption, I’m also worried about the potential for not meeting Cullen’s nutritional needs.  At this point I’m leaning toward including dairy in his diet at a minimal level, whether that’s through goat’s milk, cow’s milk, cheese, yogurt, or something else.  I’d like to keep it in the 10% range, and make sure to include plenty of other healthy protein and fat sources – eggs, lentils, avocado, etc.

We plan to raise Cullen as a vegetarian until he is able to decide otherwise (if he chooses to!), but beyond that I don’t want him to feel limited and constrained.  Parenting involves making a lot of choices that can often feel like drawing a fine line between protecting values and pushing personal beliefs.  Flexibility and respect for all opinions is key.

Sorry this is more of a ramble than a cohesive post.  I guess you can tell we are still sort of feeling it out and figuring out next steps.  I’m curious to hear what (and how) other moms handled weaning and making similar choices.  One thing is for sure – parenting is tricky business, and it’s a responsibility that weighs heavy on my mind.  We’ll need to figure it out soon enough!

english premier league standings     at 2:02 am

Hello my family member! I wish to say that this post is awesome, great written and include
almost all vital infos. I would like to peer more posts
like this .

jn-p.com     at 6:04 am

In January 2015, the US Food items and Drug Administration accredited a
new sort of obesity remedy.
Vbloc is a vagus nerve pacemaker developed by EnteroMedics, a
firm based in St Paul, Minnesota. It will work by intermittently blocking vagal nerve
signals between the brain and the tummy. The concept stems
from the observation of bodyweight loss among sufferers who had their vagus nerve slice just beneath the diaphragm, at the
time a popular procedure for duodenal ulcers, for the reason that it decreases acid secretion.

www.emrerothzerg.com     at 5:27 pm

Thus, you will need to set goals on what you really want from the
online marketing initiative. Before handling over the online marketing assignment to any professional company, decide the amount of
budget to be allotted to it. I found that many people were not adept at breaking the bigger picture
or goal down into smaller parts that were more manageable.

christmas wood craft patterns free     at 9:30 pm

A drill and driver will speed up large projects by enabling you
to drill pilot holes and sink screws shortly.

Online University     at 12:45 am

Hi to all, it’s in fact a pleasant for me to pay a quick visit
this web page, it consists of important Information.

Courtney     at 11:14 am

Thank you for this post as I love reading your blog. My son is 11 months old and we are still nursing. We are not vegan, however I want to make sure he is getting the best nutrition for his little growing body and brain. I do have a question… When speaking of cows milk, what are your thoughts on organic cows milk. I plan on starting to wean him once we get to 1 year and would like to switch to goat or cows milk.

Harga xiaomi redmi note     at 1:14 am

Without that, you cannot hope to gain any benefit from giving the app
in the first place. This method is very fast and you could really put a lot of words onto a document and
then later go in and edit them. You just need to swipe up and down until you
achieve the relevant affects.

diabetes 60 system pdf     at 11:26 am

This book is also providing valuable instructions to the people who are
interested in losing their body weight and stay healthier.

live shemale chat     at 6:46 pm

The internet has loads of web portals which contain some of the
best online sex video links around. She seemed great in tight
jeans and a tank top that made for a stunning view of the woman cleavage.
Please do not love me or want me BECAUSE I am transgendered.

revolutionfor1.buydogfleapills.com     at 1:46 pm

I have read so many articles or reviews on the topic of the blogger lovers but this paragraph is really a good post,
keep it up.

88 Kumpulan Daftar Situs Judi Domino Poker Online Android IDR Rupiah Asli Terbaru dan Terpercaya di Indonesia     at 4:50 pm

Technology plays a critical role iin the rise and fall
of the e-gaming industry. It is imjportant to note that the jokers are wild and can be used to create winning hands, but you can not use wildcards in the bonus game of poker bonus.
Some playrrs whho have wonn are in the books of
world records.

Online Home Payday Scam     at 8:47 pm

After looking at a few of the articles on your site, I truly like your way
of writing a blog. I book-marked it to my
bookmark website list and will be checking back soon. Please visit my website too and tell me what you think.

16443.com     at 6:27 am

In addition, the loan quantity is decided through lenders if
they decide in regards to the repayment expertise of
the credit seekers? Yes, when rooting has many benefits, there’s two huge, main, and huge
consequences for you to rooting your own Inspire. Should you not want to be obtained for your money, avoid schools
that won’t receive money for college from the government.

Samantha     at 3:39 am

Once you know the general characteristics of both age groups, you
will naturally feel inclined to approach one over the
other. Notice the way she touches you because you need to touch her back the same way.

MILFs have a busy schedule, think in advance and don’t freak
if she is not always available.

MAQUILLAJE PERMANENTE MADRID     at 5:15 pm

Asking questions are genuinely nice thing if you are not understanding anything totally, but this article
offers good understanding even.

Erick     at 11:51 pm

It is achievable to download the app completely without cost on the Appp Store or Google’s
Play.

streethopradio.com     at 6:30 am

Par contre, pour fonctionner, le velo elliptique doit etre branche sur secteur, sauf s’il est équipé d’un système auto-générateur d’électricité.

ip booter     at 5:57 pm

For hottest information you have to go to see internet and on the web I found this web page as a most excellent web page for latest updates.

Malorie     at 2:12 pm

, very similar to the enterprise goodwill, arises from the proressional
obsere itself, its institutional repute, location, monitor record andd working procedures that make
it aan efficient service provider that may produce superior earnings.

anxiety reduction tips     at 7:55 am

This mechanism makes it as ggreatest natural treatment
ffor despair, anxiousness andd power fatigue.

showbox apk     at 10:02 am

My partner and I absolutely love your blog and find almost all of your
post’s to be precisely what I’m looking for. Does one
offer guest writers to write content in your case? I wouldn’t mind publishing a post or elaborating on a lot of the subjects you write
regarding here. Again, awesome weblog!

Weaning my One Year Old | A Healthy Slice of Life     at 9:10 am

[…] Though I considered whether milk was even necessary, then considered all the alternative options, like goat’s milk, I ultimately decided we’d go the classic route of cow’s milk unless Hailey had problems with it. (If you are interested in the discussion of cow’s milk versus other options, Emily wrote a great post about milk options for baby) […]

Mark Smith     at 4:00 am

Nice post my a caring mom.
Yes babies must be taken care off what they should be feed.
milk and dairy product will benefit their health and will provide nourishment to them.

lucky     at 10:48 pm