Labor Day Love.

What a wonderful holiday weekend!  We have been going non-stop for a few days, and it feels good to finally sit down and look through our photos.  Casey’s parents are here visiting with us for a week, and Cullen has been loving all the extra attention.

They arrived on Saturday afternoon, and we had a low key afternoon just showing them around, playing at the park, and hitting the swings.

Baby in a baseball cap.  It kills me.

Sunday was another day of hiking!  Casey really wanted to show his parents the mountains outside of Seattle.  We considered trying a new hike, but ultimately decided to repeat the hike to Mason Lake that we did a few weeks ago.  Cullen snoozed for a while on the way UP.

This is a pretty difficult hike, and I was really dragging on the way up.  Makes me realize that I am way too out of shape!  The views at the top were more than worth the climb though – the lake is just breathtaking.

As we started up our 2500 foot climb, Casey’s mom mentioned that she’s scared of heights.  OOPS!  She was a trooper, and I think once she got to the top she was glad she stuck with it.

After some energy bites and PB&J sandwiches, we started the long descent doooooown.

Cullen was a good sport.  Got a little cranky on the way down, but it was a big adventure for such a little guy.  A million thanks to Casey for carrying an extra 30 pounds on his back for 7 long miles.

It was another fun hike, and I’m glad Tina and Eddie were able to see some of the gorgeous scenery that surrounds Seattle.  We are doing our best to entice them into moving here!

Monday was another day out and about.  This time our adventures were a bit less active – a Mariners game!

We took Cullen to one previous game early in the season, and he was really scared of the noise – screaming every time the crowd cheered.  Now that he’s a few months older, the crowd didn’t seem to bother him at all.  He had fun people watching and squirming around in our laps.

But unfortunately, the game also coincided with nap time.

He started off pretty grumpy, and I spent most of the first half of the game walking around with him and settling him to sleep.  I rarely wear the Ergo these days except for things like this, and I’m happy to say it still does the trick!  It took a few extra bounces and kisses, but he eventually settled to sleep.

Inside the Ergo… :)

Capture

After a short snooze, he woke up all smiles.

Somehow between watching the game and trying to settle Cullen to sleep, I missed my window for a veggie dog.  Can’t believe I didn’t get one!  But it was still a great game – the Mariners won!

Back at home I insisted on a family photo shoot since we have grandparents in town.  Casey showed off his tricks that terrify me.

Three generations of Malone boys.  Such a good looking bunch – Cullen is lucky to inherit fabulous Malone hair.

I love watching Cullen with Mimi and Grandpa.  He loves them so much.  Not to mention, it’s really nice to have extra hands in the house!

A really great weekend with a family that I love so much.  I was so busy running around and capturing family pictures, I didn’t take a single picture of what we ate – oops.  You didn’t miss much.  Lots of takeout and Flying Apron cookies – yum.

And now since I have extra helpers in the house, I’m off to do something I haven’t done in way too long – go for a much needed RUN!  Planning to talk more about that tomorrow.  Hope you had a great weekend too!

Erica     at 12:16 pm

Those views are just spectacular! I can’t wait to hear how your run goes!

Ashley     at 12:18 pm

Super cute photos. Sounds like a great weekend. Cullen is changing so much!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama     at 12:18 pm

As usual gorgeous photos! The pic of you and Cullen in front of the rocks is stunning! Don’t feel bad that the hike up was tough. I think it’s tough no matter what shape you’re in!

Whitney     at 12:24 pm

There is nothing more precious than family time! Glad you are enjoying your inlaws’ company. Enjoy your run :)

Megan     at 12:25 pm

We get out to Seattle a few times a year to visit family… I am seriously going to drag them out on this hike on of these times. Those views are gorgeous! Also, your photos are so adorable. I’m due with a baby boy in december and your blog makes me so so excited for his arrival! thanks for sharing so much of your life with us. :)

Congratulations!

Erin     at 12:31 pm

It sounds like a wonderful Labor Day weekend. Have a great run!

Sara     at 12:32 pm

Sounds like an excellent way to celebrate Labor Day weekend. One quick ?–where do you get your awesome head bands? I love them!

They are just Goody bands from Target!

Ali @ Peaches and Football     at 12:41 pm

Looks like wonderful weather and fabulous family memories! Are they thinking of moving at all or is that wishful thinking? Would be nice to have family close by for Cullen.

No, just wishful thinking. :(

Lee     at 12:44 pm

That picture of you and Cullen with the rocks in the background is a framer for sure!

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie     at 12:46 pm

Cullen is one of the cutest little babies ever! Ohmygoodness he is so photogenic! I’m glad you’re having such a good time with Casey’s mom and dad!

Jolene (Homespun Heritage)     at 12:55 pm

Sounds like a great week…You were at the same game as Skinny Runner (dot com)! Small blog world!

Any new recipes coming up this week?

Oh wow – too funny! Yep, I have one in the oven as we speak. :) Probably up on Thursday or Friday!

Ingunn     at 12:59 pm

I just love seeing people out hiking with babies, such a great way to instill a love of activity and the outdoors!

Do you know about Washington Trails Association? It’s a great resource when you’re planning hikes in this area, they have a list of recent trip reports hikers have written so you can see trail conditions, flower reports, etc: http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports

Yes – thanks! That’s where we’ve been looking so far – very helpful!

Caitlin     at 12:59 pm

The last photo is too precious. So cute that Cullen is already a little Mariners fan!!!

Emily S     at 1:04 pm

some good lookin’ guys there :) looks like a fun weekend!

Elena     at 1:22 pm

Wallace Falls is a pretty low-key, family-friendly hike with spectacular views at the end. It definitely goes up (and up and up), but I could manage it when I was a chubby little 8 year old, so you guys should be fine!

That one is on our list!

Gina     at 1:26 pm

Ah!! No veggie dog…blasphemy!;)

I know! Not a single bite of anything, and I was smelling the garlic fries the whole time. We were COLD in the shade – thought of you in the sunny bleachers. :)

Gina Reply:

Ohmygosh…we were roasting in the sun…I have major tan lines! We also made it on the big screen:)

Gina     at 1:38 pm

I love your little family! So precious. Casey’s dad has a pretty great head of hair lol

His whole family does! I am so jealous!

Danielle     at 2:12 pm

lol, I love the photo of Casey’s “trick”. I think women are wired to imagine the worst case scenario with little ones. My Dad and my Hubby both love to toss them up, tip them upside down, play horsey, etc etc. Meanwhile all the women are gasping and trying not to have panic attacks!

Riding on the shoulders is the other one that scares me! :)

Laura @ She Eats Well     at 2:24 pm

Looks like such a fun family weekend. The pictures of your hike are amazingly breathtaking!!!! Enjoy your run, you deserve it!

Angi     at 2:45 pm

Love your blog! I’m from Seattle and I get pretty homesick (currently living in Alaska), so it’s awesome to see all your fun pictures and read about your adventures! Especially hiking, which was always one of my FAVORITE things to do there.

If you haven’t yet, look up the Blue Lake hike. It’s not too far outside Seattle…the switchbacks on the way up are pretty killer but it’s GORGEOUS once you get to the top! And there’s a huge flat rock that’s perfect for picnicking. :)

Angi     at 2:49 pm

Whoops! Not Blue Lake, sorry…SNOW Lake!

Ahh okay, I have heard a few people mention this one! Going on our list. :)

Greg     at 7:01 pm

Cullen is obviously happiest with you. He lights up with that incredible smile when he sees your face…just look at the picture on the swing. You’re not the only one terrified by Casey’s “trick.” Look at Cullen’s face. Does that look happy?

Greg, you are way out of line. Cullen is OB-sessed with his dad – you should see the way he lights up when Casey gets home at the end of the day. And not that I have to justify it, but he also falls into a fit of laughter after Casey balances (and obviously catches) him when they are playing. Please don’t judge our parenting based off a few silly pictures.

Greg Reply:

Oh no. I certainly didn’t mean in any way to make judgements about your parenting. I was only hoping to support you in your fear of the tricks and obviously failed in my choice of words. I’m sorry you perceived my comment the way you did. I’ve commented many times about your wonderful recipes and what an adorable child Cullen is.

Sorry if I misunderstood you! I appreciate you reading and trying out the recipes!

Lisa @ bakebikeblog     at 8:56 pm

Such gorgeous family photos! !

denise     at 5:28 am

I had a friend of our family’s whose husband would do that baby trick with their four month old baby boy. It was really upsetting to see! I often wondered if men are more likely to do the ‘tricks’ with boy babies than with baby girls. Maybe they are just really ready to play with them. Fortunately in my friend’s family, no accidents/injuries ever happened.

Kat     at 5:33 am

Looks like an amazing day – Cullen’s hair is out of control! I love it!

Jackie     at 6:10 am

Cullen is the absolute cutest baby I’ve ever seen. Not going to lie (and sorry if this sounds totally creepy haha) but seeing him and how much fun y’all have as a family has started to push me to maybe want kids in the future (way, way future!). I know he’s a handful, but he is one of the most precious baby boys I’ve ever seen. Thank you for sharing that part of your life with the blog world. :)

You are most welcome! Thanks for reading. :)

Amanda     at 7:40 am

Love these posts! I’m trying to talk my Husband into moving to Seattle after he gets out of the Navy and this just makes me want to move there even more! Love the scenery and temps out there!

Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy     at 8:26 am

Cullen does have good hair! So cute :)!

Bethany @ Accidental Intentions     at 9:12 am

Oh my gosh, that itty bitty beyond precious Mariners jacket! I love it.

Alex @ Raw Recovery     at 10:00 am

Sounds like a fun weekend! I’m glad you are still able to get some hiking in and I love Cullen in the baseball cap, that’s so cute. He’s so photogenic!

Lara     at 11:25 am

I love reading your summer activity posts because it gets me pumped for all the things we can hopefully do with G next year! I am so anxious to get out and do fun stuff as a family!

Baby’s first (real) summer is WAY too much fun!

R     at 3:51 pm

You have such an adorable son! I just wanted to let you know ever since you posted the date balls we have been making them non-stop! We love them, I have a 12yr old son and 13 yr old daughter, so we eat alot in this house. Buying energy bars, esp. healthy ones, was getting too expensive. Now we only make those!!! Thank you for such great recipes. I have not tried one yet we didn’t love!!! Keep up the awesome work!

lisa     at 7:23 pm

Cullen is so adorable! It’s great how active your family is and that you find healthy ways to spend time together.

Leah     at 7:17 am

Question for you, Emily: Do you find the Canon strap cuts in? I got my Canon a few years back and I have not purchased a new strap as of yet. Each time we take it on a trip or excursion it’s very uncomfortable. And yet…it’s been more than 2 years dealing with it. Someday I’ll get a new strap!

Gabrielle     at 7:18 pm

My favorite pictures you’ve posted. I think you look so pretty with your hair loose and natural, and Cullen is really coming into himself. Such a little personality visible in these candid shots. Gorgeous long eyelashes on that little boy too. Love the shot of Casey doing his trick!

I have a picture of my good friend’s husband tossing their (at the time) six month old way into the air! Happy to say she’s 13 now and doing fine. :)

Meagan     at 9:01 pm

FLYING apron cookies are great! What’s your favorite? Mine is the chocolate peanut butter !!

Angela     at 12:24 pm

Looks like a great weekend! What amazing views from your hike!