Mini Mushroom & Onion Frittata Muffins.

It was my turn to host my mom’s group yesterday.  Usually I’m pretty well-prepared ahead of time.  I clean the house the night before, I’m caught up on my writing, and I know what sort of snacks and treats I’m going to make well in advance.  Thursday morning rolled around, and I was scrambling to get even one of those things done.

I try to always have a few snack options on hand – something healthy, something sweet, something to eat quickly while your baby is distracted.  Bite sized finger food is definitely easiest.  I was in a brunchy mood, so I decided to try to make a mini-egg dish – and it worked!

Mini Mushroom & Egg Frittata Muffins by Daily Garnish

I cooked the veggies and mixed the eggs ahead of time, and then left the mixture to sit until everyone arrived.  Once we were all there and the babies had dug into the toy basked, I popped these into the oven.  There are so many variations could make here – mushrooms and onions just happen to be some of my favorite mix-ins.  And you can never go wrong with fresh herbs.

Mini Mushroom & Onion Frittata Muffins

by Emily Malone

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients (12 egg muffins)

• 1 large white or yellow onion
  • 1 cup crimini mushrooms, diced
  • 1 (loose) cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
  • 8 whole eggs
  • 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
  • 3/4 teaspoon sea salt

Instructions

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.  Heat onions and mushrooms in a large sauté pan until softened and browning. I tossed mine in some olive oil, turned the heat to medium, and vacuumed my house while stirring occasionally. Cook them until you have some good brown color developing!

In a separate dish, whisk together 8 eggs, 1/2 cup almond (or other) milk, nutritional yeast, and salt.  Chop your fresh basil and add to the egg mixture. Once the veggies are cooked, add those to the egg mixture as well, and stir everything to combine.

Grease a muffin pan, and carefully pour eggs into the individual muffin cups. Fill to about 3/4 full – don’t fill to the top or they will overflow when cooking!

Mini Mushroom & Egg Frittata Muffins by Daily Garnish

Bake for 20 minutes until the egg is set (no wiggle when you shake the pan) and the tops have a bit of browning on top.

Mini Mushroom & Egg Frittata Muffins by Daily Garnish

Remove from pan and allow them to cool for a few minutes, and then serve warm. (Although I popped two into the fridge for my husband to eat after work, and he said they were also great cold!).

Mini Mushroom & Egg Frittata Muffins by Daily Garnish

Most frittata recipes include a heavy handful of cheese, but I think nutritional yeast really works here as a healthy non-dairy substitute.  These were a great option for both the moms and babies – I popped two in my mouth while Cullen enjoyed his from the high chair.

Mini Mushroom & Egg Frittata Muffins by Daily Garnish

Once I saw how much he liked it, I made a mental note to add this to our regular meal notation.  It was so easy to throw together.  I also love that they are grab n go, but filled with all sorts of good nutrition.  So many of my portable snack options tend to be granola bars or PB&J’s.  These feel a lot lighter, but just as filling.

Mini Mushroom & Egg Frittata Muffins by Daily Garnish

They are also perfect for a bunch or party – throw them in the oven as guests arrive!  As an added bonus, your house will smell like freshly cooked onions – so delicious.  The first friend who walked through the door yesterday greeted me with “what’s cooking?”  I think the final product lived up to the smell.  Enjoy!

Powered by Recipage

Gina     at 11:29 am

I love the cooked onion smell…it reminds me of my grandparents house…they were always cooking up somethings yummy and I spent a lot of time there as a kid:) These look like such a fun/simple party option!

natalie @ will jog for food     at 11:32 am

What a good idea! I love recipes with minimal ingredients :)

Tina     at 11:34 am

This is a brilliant way of making frittatta. My grandmother used to always make a big one and cut it like pie. She made it with leftover pasta. I really like this version!

Erica     at 11:40 am

I was on a huge frittata muffin kick a few weeks ago but overdosed on the one recipe I was using. Can’t wait to try this!

Army Amy*     at 11:41 am

I love foods that are mix-and-match like this. Not a fan of ‘shrooms, but there are so many other yummy veggies I could just as easily toss in!*

Me too!

Ashley     at 11:46 am

I am all over these!!!

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed     at 11:46 am

I just made little egg muffins last weekend and we ate the leftovers for bfast all week. I microwaved mine (not sure how you feel about ye old microwave) and they tasted fine. I feel like there’s endless combos to try out! I want to do a roasted red pepper, spinach, goat cheese combo next, yum.

Heather Reply:

Oh hey. I know you hahaha.

We are big fans of the microwave. :) Good idea!

Annie     at 12:04 pm

Yum! How long will these last in the fridge?

I’d probably say 2-3 days tops.

Hilary (Four Little Forks)     at 12:20 pm

Hey Emily! Stop coming up with such delicious looking eats! My weekend is already too busy cooking up your recipes, I can’t squeeze anymore in! ;-)

We’ve got some houseguests coming into town next weekend and these muffins will be PERFECT. Can’t wait to try ‘em!

Haha have a great weekend!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama     at 12:29 pm

Mini fritta’s were one of my kids favorite breakfasts, snacks, lunch, dinner when they were first getting into eating whole foods. Great way to get in veggies too!

Laura @ My Pink Thumb     at 12:53 pm

These look fantastic! :)

Sarah     at 2:28 pm

Are you nervous giving Cullen almond milk before he is a year old?

This was his first time getting it. He’s just a few weeks away from a year at this point, so I knew it would happen soon enough!

Sarah Reply:

I agree! I accidently let my 11 month old sip my smoothie with almond milk, and I stared at her toungue for like 30 minuets afterwards to make sure she was fine (and she was). Haha.

I figured there were three other moms there, so at least I had backup if something DID happen!

Alexis     at 3:33 pm

I thought about you when I saw this! I think its a happy balance:) http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/19/travel/flying-with-kids-guide/index.html?hpt=tr_c2

We take a similar approach – prepare well, pack plenty of supplies/toys/etc, and try to minimize as many disruptions and noises as possible.

Nina     at 4:58 pm

Emily do you grow any of your herbs?

Yes, we grow all of them! We have planters out on our back patio. Didn’t do a veggie box this year, but I did insist on herb pots. :) We have basil, mint, tarragon, rosemary, and oregano!

RachelSD     at 11:04 pm

Mother-in-law’s in town this weekend and we have all the ingredients on hand… will be making these tomorrow morning. Thanks!

Emily @ www.main-eats.com     at 6:48 am

Your recipes are killing me this week-they just keep getting better and better!!! : )

Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More     at 1:14 pm

Perfect timing! I was just thinking a few days ago about making mini frittatas for my girls’ breakfast this week. I’ve never tried making them before but they seem doable. Thanks for the recipe!!

Amanda     at 8:25 am

I could probably eat eggs all day, everyday! Thanks for this awesome recipe!!

Rebecca     at 9:45 am

Hi Emily!

These look really good! After watching Forks over Knives and several other films and books, I too decided to cut dairy out. I also included cutting eggs out of my diet. I was curious if you would consider writing a post about how you and Casey decided to incorporate them into your diet? I’m on the fence about what I want to do. Thanks for all of the wonderful recipes! The ume vinegar mushrooms were out of this world!

I actually wrote a post on this about two years ago. http://www.dailygarnish.com/2010/11/a-good-egg.html Most of what I wrote then still applies now (although I bake with eggs more often now). Hope that helps!

jenny     at 12:32 pm

this is making me very hungry. looks delicious for a non-dairy girl like myself! can i come over for breakfast, please? … i suppose i need to make them myself! YUMMMMMERS!

If you come over, I will make them! :)

Emily     at 4:55 pm

Am I the only one who always reads “my mom’s group” as a group that your mom belongs to? Hahaha. I’m always confused for a second when you write that, like, “Why does Emily keep making food for her mother’s group?” (like a book group or something) Anyway, not really into eggs but am hoping for more pumpkin recipes!

Haha I never know where to put the apostrophe. :)

Angela     at 10:07 am

These seem like a great way to keep my portion size in check AND have a great quiche like option. Thanks for sharing!

Kristen @ The Balanced Bowl     at 10:10 am

What a great idea! These look fantastic and so easy to make…I will definitely give them a try. I love little things like this to have on hand in the fridge or to bring to work. Workplace snacks tend to be heavily processed…so I am always looking for new ways to keep things healthy here. Thanks!

Robyn     at 4:36 pm

Mushrooms and onions are always a win in my book! Sounds delish! Also wanted to pop in and say I made your twenty minute veggie chili tonight, sooooo yummy!!! The cinnamon was a new ingredient to chili for me, and both my husband and I really dug the flavor! Thanks for the recipe!

Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous!     at 7:46 pm

Those look and sound delicious! I made a frittata yesterday too. Mine was an cinnamon apple & turkey frittata. I had it for lunch today, and oh my goodness I think fall exploded in my mouth!

Michelle     at 7:59 pm

Zucchini and red pepper flakes make great ones! I’ve only made mini muffin versions, will try the regular sized muffin tin tomorrow AM!

Tasha @ ThatsSoYummy     at 4:45 am

These look so delicious, and I absolutely love how easy they are to make.

Lyndsay     at 4:05 pm

These were so delicious. I used coconut oil to cook the onions and mushrooms, and to coat the muffin tin. It added a little something extra that made them pop!

Joanna     at 9:52 am

Yummy! I forgot to remove mine from the pan right after taking out of the oven (got sidetracked chasing my 17 month old) and they were stuck :( Is speedy removal the key or did I miss something else? (The pan was greased…maybe too much?)

Oh no! I’m guessing they cooled and hardened to the pan. I didn’t have any trouble with sticking – sorry!!

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » A Bring-A-Book Baby Shower.     at 12:20 pm

[...] everyone’s favorite – Green Eggs and Ham.  We made mini frittata muffins – one batch with spinach and one with bacon.  So [...]

Ali @ Ali Eats Clean     at 2:21 pm

YUM. These are really good. I just made them for upcoming breakfasts this week and they are staying on the “yes” list! I can’t wait to make them again and again. Thanks Emily!

Tuesday Snapshots {4/16}     at 11:05 am

[...] Lately, I’ve actually tried some of things I’ve pinned. I’ve cooked up these Mini Mushroom and Onion Frittatas (so good) and these Healthy White Cheddar Vegan Goldfish. The flavor was spot on and mine would [...]

nickjaa     at 3:55 pm

Hey, I made these sans basil, with tomatoes and coconut milk. outstanding and so healthy!

So happy to hear it!