Mixed Berry Oat Crumble.

Today is my last day in Ohio!  Last week, I was in preparation mode getting ready for our trip.  In addition to laundry and packing, I was adamant that we were going to eat up all the fresh produce in our fridge.  It pains me to waste food.

I’ve been talking all summer long about the berries we’ve been eating.  I had a few extra pints leftover last week, and I wanted to do something more exciting than freezing them or throwing them in my cereal.

Mixed Berry Oat Crumble by Daily Garnish

I used a mixture of blackberries and blueberries in this delicious crumble, but you could use any berries you have on hand.  The juicier the better!

Mixed Berry Oat Crumble by Daily Garnish

This berry crumble has just the right amount of sweetness.  The almond meal lends a great texture to the crumble (and keeps it gluten-free!), and the lemon juice provides just a hint of tartness.  It is delicious for breakfast, and even better for dessert – topped with a few scoops of your favorite ice cream.

Mixed Berry Oat Crumble

by Emily Malone

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients (4-6 servings)

• 1 cup almond meal
  • 1.5 cups rolled oats
  • 1/3 cup light brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 5 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 3 cups fresh (or frozen) berries (I used raspberries and blackberries!)

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine almond meal, rolled oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, lemon juice, and coconut oil in a food processor.

Pulse a few times to combine – make sure the coconut oil is completely distributed.  I like the richness that coconut oil brings to baking, but you can sub in butter if needed.

I used an 8×8 square baking dish for mine, but you can use other shapes or sizes. Use what you have!  Separate the crumble mixture into halves. Pour one half into the bottom of the baking dish, and press down so that the bottom is covered completely.

Next, add the berries on top. Try to get them in just a single layer so that it bakes evenly.  Pour the rest of the crumble mixture on top – try to cover as much as possible. This doesn’t need to be pressed – just loosely sprinkle!

Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, until the top is golden brown and you can see the berries starting to ooze and bubble.

Mixed Berry Oat Crumble by Daily Garnish

Allow it to cool for a few minutes before serving. Those berries will be HOT!

Mixed Berry Oat Crumble by Daily Garnish

Scoop into serving bowls and get ready to dig in.

Mixed Berry Oat Crumble by Daily Garnish

I made this in a square baking dish, but you could also bake it into individual ramekins.  It would be fun to bake in small dishes and serve these as individual desserts at a party!

Mixed Berry Oat Crumble by Daily Garnish

Bake at night for dessert, and enjoy leftovers for breakfast the next day.  Even after it has cooled, the berries stay gooey and burst with each bite.

Mixed Berry Oat Crumble by Daily Garnish

Even better with a scoop or two of ice cream on top.  It’s a great way to use up end of summer berries, and a healthy treat that satisfies a sweet tooth.

Mixed Berry Oat Crumble by Daily Garnish

Enjoy!

Powered by Recipage

Tams     at 9:55 am

For me tree nuts equal anaphylactic shock and an ER visit but this just sounds sooo delicious. What would you say is a good substitute for the almond meal?

Uh oh! Just regular flour (or whatever flour your prefer) will work too.

Julianna @ Julianna Bananna     at 9:57 am

this looks absolutely delicious! not to mention the recipe is nice and simple and i have all the ingredients on hand – definitely going to make this soon!

Erica     at 10:00 am

Drooling on keyboard!
I was also going to ask for a sub for the almond meal!

Regular flour will work!

Angela     at 10:15 am

Looks great! Thanks so much :).

Alexis S.     at 10:34 am

This looks so tasty! I love berries, and agree, sometimes it’s nice to have something other than eating them on cereal or yogurt.

Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life)     at 10:54 am

Looks amazing. I really want to make this soon, especially because I have no doubt that H would LOVE to eat this up :)

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries     at 12:04 pm

YUM! I wish I currently had a bunch of berries waiting to be used up… I’m going to have to get some just for this!

Lisa @ The Raw Serenity     at 1:03 pm

This looks so delicious!
Unfortunately I don’t cook with sugar.
Do you think date syrup may work?

Hmm hard to say. I’m not sure how a liquid sugar would affect it. You might try just using whole dates in the crumble topping.

Ali @ Peaches and Football     at 1:14 pm

Anything that uses berries, almond flour, and coconut oil gets a gold star in my book! Even though I tend to associate berries with Summer – this crumble looks like serious comfort food for cooler Fall days (or evenings, or mornings, or late at night) :-)

Still feels like summer in Seattle, haha!

Lauren     at 2:05 pm

Looks incredible! I love the oat topping you put together. I bet you could easily make this gluten free by using gluten free oats!

Emily @ Life on Food     at 6:59 pm

Great idea with the coconut butter. It seems like a no brainer but I haven’t thought of this usage yet. Love it!

Pam     at 8:04 pm

Great recipe, Emily! I made this for dessert tonight and it was so delicious. I used raspberries, blackberries and wild blue berries. My husband and I both agree that this recipe is a total keeper. Thanks!

So happy to hear it! Thanks for letting me know. :)

Alexis @ Hummusapien     at 8:44 pm

WOW– this looks fabulous. The only thing I’m missing is the almond meal :( I’ll have to make this before berries are gone for good!

You can always sub in regular flour for the almond meal, if needed.

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme)     at 5:33 am

I love crumbles — I’ve never done the thing where I’ve put some of the crumble/streusel on the bottom though! I’ve only added it on top–what a great idea.

And I really like the idea to use almond meal instead. Very inspiring!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama     at 1:29 pm

You can’t go wrong with berries and a crumble. I say it’s a perfectly acceptable breakfast!

Jacquelyn     at 5:40 pm

This looks delicious! I’m a sucker for anything with berries. Where do we find almond meal and are there any substitutions?

Trader Joe’s has almond meal, or you can just sub in regular flour.

Alex @Raw Recovery     at 7:10 pm

That looks like a homemade version of a great harvest bread company savannah bar!! I’m so excited to try this!

Meagan     at 8:21 pm

This looks great Emily! I might sub coconut flakes for the oats since I don’t do grains. Thanks for sharing :) And I went to the UW farmers market last Saturday and the tayberries are all gone :( so sad – can’t wait until next summer!

K     at 6:35 pm

Emily, with a very wakeful 4 month old, it’s not always easy to find time for kitchen fun these days, but when I saw this recipe, I literally dropped the babe in his dad’s arms and got right to baking this! It is so delicious and the almond meal gives it such fantastic texture. I cant think of a better way to use up the late summer fruit! Thanks for sharing these amazing recipes. I don’t know how you do it with a little one, but thanks for another keeper!

marybeth     at 10:51 pm

i made this for my family twice already during this holiday!! it is delicious, thank you for this one :)

Daily Garnish » Blog Archive » Crunchy Vegetable Sesame Noodle Salad.     at 10:03 pm

[...] I prepped and prepared the pasta dish, I also had some delicious fresh berry crumble baking away in the oven to take for [...]

Skinny Summer Berry Crisp - Hummusapien | Hummusapien     at 5:51 pm

[...] Adapted from this recipe [...]

Sonya     at 5:11 pm

Wonderful goods from you, man. I’ve be mindful your stuff previous to and you’re simply
extremely wonderful. I actually like what you have acquired here, really like what you’re stating and the way in which during which you say it.
You make it enjoyable and you continue to care for to stay it wise.
I cant wait to read far more from you. That is actually
a wonderful website.

wiko stairway video     at 4:22 am

Now that your furniture has arrived, you will need to make sure that you are satisfied with your purchase.
Well, this is a must read article for all those looking for wrought iron fencing, garden sheds and outdoor furniture.
Moisture of them all is a major threat and
hence only certain woods such as teak can be used for outdoor furniture.

model rumah minimalis     at 12:05 am

Hmm it appears like your blog ate my first comment (it was extremely long)
so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I submitted and say,
I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog. I as well
am an aspiring blog blogger but I’m still new to everything.
Do you have any tips and hints for inexperienced blog writers?

I’d genuinely appreciate it.

fabriquer une lampe electrique     at 5:09 am

It does not matter if you’re buying tiny furnishings
or large ones, cheap or pricey merchandise. Nowadays,
Internet seems to be like the biggest market ever.
Oak is a harder wood which makes it strong and durable.

Marquita     at 5:53 am

Plus ennuyeux : certains poids-lourds de l’industrie musicale comme les Beatles, Bob Dylan, Led Zeppelin ou Metallica manquent
toujours à l’appel, de même que quelques pointures de
la variété française, à l’instar de Francis Cabrel
ou Jean-Jacques Goldman two Enfin, en raison des clauses de territorialité imposées
par les maisons de disques, l’intégralité du catalogue de Deezer n’est
pas nécessairement accessible dans tous les pays :
il peut ainsi arriver que tel titre ne soit pas accessible en Belgique,
tel autre uniquement au Royaume-Uni, and so forth.