For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

Running Forward.

Greetings from OHIO!  I am here for a long weekend visiting my family and going to a friend’s baby shower.  My family hasn’t all been together since Christmas, so it feels very special.

Thanks for all your awesome support on my running post.  It has been a growing and learning process.  My in-laws were at our house in Seattle last week, so I took advantage of having some extra help around, and had them watch him so I could get a lot of things done.  In between projects, I laced up my running shoes and went for a rare run alone.

As I went to leave the house, I realized it was ridiculous to actually run alone, and I leashed up my favorite yellow pup.

2012-09-04 13.16.08

Even though I haven’t been running more than a few miles here and there,  I go for at least one long walk every day.  I know walking isn’t generally considered to be hard core exercise, but I do feel like it’s kept me in decent shape, and it’s kept my muscles moving.

My new neighborhood is filled with HILLS, which makes it hard to get started.  Indy and I walked up our first hill, and then ran two miles together before looping back to the house.  I swapped dogs, and took Huey out for another two – making it home in just over four miles.

The run felt better than I expected physically, and mentally it felt really good to be out there without the weight and burden of the jogging stroller (read: whining baby inside).  Going forward, my hope is to try to get a few runs in each week after Casey gets home from work (he’s trying to leave a bit earlier these days).  I’ll be ready to go in my running clothes when he arrives, and he’ll have an hour or so with Cullen before bedtime while I run.

Up until now, I’ve been trying to fit my runs in during the day, but having to drive to good running spots, plus Cullen’s hatred of the stroller has made that tough.  And by doing my runs at home after work, I can take the pups out with me for a bonus arm workout.  They were totally pooped after our run.  They got a lot of walks and exercise in the yard, but they are in rusty running shape too!

I didn’t run while I was pregnant, and because of that I discovered that there are a lot of other ways to exercise that I really enjoy.  Like I said, I’m a BIG walker, and it took a while for me to realize that walking is still good activity.  Now that I’ve gotten past the mental hurdle that all exercise must be sweaty and fast, I’m having fun exploring new things like hiking on the weekends with family.

Capture

I’m not going to make any training schedules or unrealistic plans, but I’d love to do a few short races this fall.  Not because I think racing is necessary or somehow proves something – only because I love the thrill of race day morning and the feeling of participating in a local race scene.  We’ll see how it goes.

While we still have warm temps and sunshine in Seattle, I’m going to to do my best to continue to take advantage of being outside as much as possible.

This weekend is all about visiting friends, time with family, and watching Cullen play with his cousin Jonah.  Cincinnati is also where I got started with running, and all my favorite running spots are here.  I packed my running shoes!

Jun     at 11:08 pm

Glad you’re hanging strong! Like you, I enjoy spending time walking in the park and in the neighborhood. I do consider it as a relaxing form of exercise because it refreshes my mind and gets my blood flowing however more often than not, I find that I get bored easily and soon I’ll be heading back to home. I’m wondering if you can share with me any tips on how to make walking more fun & interesting? Thanks!

Kelli     at 7:49 am

Love that you are taking your dogs now! Thats a great fur mommy!

Lara     at 8:31 am

I do love walking in Seattle in this beautiful weather! One thing I am not looking forward to is getting through the winter and trying to get back in shape. We definitely need to buy a treadmill!

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie     at 9:51 am

I wish my puppies were bigger so I could take them on a jog! But they are like 10 pounds each and have teeny tiny little legs so that wouldn’t work so well. ;p I hope you have an awesome time with your family!

Britt @ Taking Orders from a Cookie     at 3:22 pm

I also am one to associate a workout with huffing breaths and pouring sweat but I am working on learning that that doesn’t always have to be the case. At least walking is more effective than doing nothing at all! :)
Have a great weekend!

Marissa@ohhhsolovely     at 5:07 pm

what a nice weekend! enjoy your trip…glad to hear your thoughts on running!

Brooke     at 7:31 pm

My dogs would freak out if I took one out without the other!! I love that you can do that!

elizabeth     at 8:06 pm

I found you via your love of strength training, and I am so glad I did–we have the same weight plates, though I have the 15lb bar. Regardless, it’s fantastic to see other home gym enthusiasts–I hate going to the gym, and we slowly built up our home gym with plates. I do have a question as why you are not doing barbell squats and shoulder presses, as those can feed into awesome circuits that can work everything with little time. Not judging, just curious.

Caitlin     at 9:13 am

I was thinking about this post yesterday while running. Living in Atlanta, unless you specifically search for a flat stretch to run, you’ll be running ridiculous hills. We recently moved and the first 2 miles of my new route are uphill and it’s killer and I hate it. Yet, I went on a group run recently that had very gradual hills and nothing too challenging (hills, wise) and people everywhere around me were complaining about them, and I didn’t even notice the gradual change in elevation. So while hills can totally blow and while I curse them as I’m running, they’ve made me SO much stronger.

brianne     at 10:05 am

I have been reading your blog for years and always get re-inspired. In the past year I have gone from being pregnant with twins, to breastfeeding, to being a stay at home mom so my exercise and eating habits have changed dramatically. Seeing you get motivated has helped put the bug back in me too! Thanks :)

brianne     at 10:07 am

My above comment didn’t properly attach my URL so I’ll add it here just in case anybody feels like taking a peek…I only started back to blogging yesterday haha.

Leah     at 7:49 am

Sharing the run with one dog at a time–dog swapping–love that idea!! Enjoy OH!

Angela     at 11:26 am

That’s great that you got a run in! I think it’s important to just keep moving, whatever your activity is.

Christine @ Reikalein     at 7:48 am

It can be strange to reassess your running goals when it’s been such a passionate energy outlet for you in the past, no?

I have been facing a reactivation of the EBV virus (think mono) for the last year, and it’s taken me this long to realise the running hasn’t been helping…

It sucks, but it’s time to find something I can be a beginner in again so I don’t overdo it all the time. Yoga it is! Maybe this means I’ll finally be able to touch my toes and get over that “sweating is a must” hurdle too.

running shoes