Running Forward.

Greetings from OHIO!  I am here for a long weekend visiting my family and going to a friend’s baby shower.  My family hasn’t all been together since Christmas, so it feels very special.

Thanks for all your awesome support on my running post.  It has been a growing and learning process.  My in-laws were at our house in Seattle last week, so I took advantage of having some extra help around, and had them watch him so I could get a lot of things done.  In between projects, I laced up my running shoes and went for a rare run alone.

As I went to leave the house, I realized it was ridiculous to actually run alone, and I leashed up my favorite yellow pup.

2012-09-04 13.16.08

Even though I haven’t been running more than a few miles here and there,  I go for at least one long walk every day.  I know walking isn’t generally considered to be hard core exercise, but I do feel like it’s kept me in decent shape, and it’s kept my muscles moving.

My new neighborhood is filled with HILLS, which makes it hard to get started.  Indy and I walked up our first hill, and then ran two miles together before looping back to the house.  I swapped dogs, and took Huey out for another two – making it home in just over four miles.

The run felt better than I expected physically, and mentally it felt really good to be out there without the weight and burden of the jogging stroller (read: whining baby inside).  Going forward, my hope is to try to get a few runs in each week after Casey gets home from work (he’s trying to leave a bit earlier these days).  I’ll be ready to go in my running clothes when he arrives, and he’ll have an hour or so with Cullen before bedtime while I run.

Up until now, I’ve been trying to fit my runs in during the day, but having to drive to good running spots, plus Cullen’s hatred of the stroller has made that tough.  And by doing my runs at home after work, I can take the pups out with me for a bonus arm workout.  They were totally pooped after our run.  They got a lot of walks and exercise in the yard, but they are in rusty running shape too!

I didn’t run while I was pregnant, and because of that I discovered that there are a lot of other ways to exercise that I really enjoy.  Like I said, I’m a BIG walker, and it took a while for me to realize that walking is still good activity.  Now that I’ve gotten past the mental hurdle that all exercise must be sweaty and fast, I’m having fun exploring new things like hiking on the weekends with family.

Capture

I’m not going to make any training schedules or unrealistic plans, but I’d love to do a few short races this fall.  Not because I think racing is necessary or somehow proves something – only because I love the thrill of race day morning and the feeling of participating in a local race scene.  We’ll see how it goes.

While we still have warm temps and sunshine in Seattle, I’m going to to do my best to continue to take advantage of being outside as much as possible.

This weekend is all about visiting friends, time with family, and watching Cullen play with his cousin Jonah.  Cincinnati is also where I got started with running, and all my favorite running spots are here.  I packed my running shoes!

Shannon @ My Place In The Race     at 8:10 am

That’s one happy looking pup! :)

Liz     at 8:10 am

So great that you’re getting to visit your family in Cincinnati! Hope you have a fun, relaxing weekend :)

Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life)     at 8:17 am

Good for you Emily! I always underestimate how great walking is, too- for the body and mind :)

Army Amy*     at 8:24 am

Sounds like a great plan!*

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama}     at 8:25 am

Have a great weekend! :-)

Kat     at 8:26 am

Totally agree with you – there are a TON of options for exercising and it’s definitely not only nice to have options but to keep switching it up.

Natalie Rae     at 8:29 am

You have to do the Jingle Bell run downtown this year! It happens the beginning of December- We are back in town for it and it will be our first fun/walk as a family with the new baby. It is super festive and more for fun because the course is a wonky downtown one :) Another race I love is the Love Em or Leave Em Valentine’s 5K at Greenlake- so fun!

Caroline     at 8:51 am

I’m a big fan of walking too, and try to get in a number of good walks each week. On longer runs I also use a run/walk method, so I try to strengthen those walking muscles. Plus I can’t run many days a week because I easily get shin splints, so it’s a great option! Glad it works so well for you too!

Julie (A Case of the Runs)     at 8:57 am

Hey, great job! Regarding your last post, I’m glad your attitude about running isn’t completely obsessive. Running is not the end-all, be-all of exercise, and whatever you do to get out there makes staying fit a sustainable effort. =)

Even as I don’t have kids now, I have been on a long break from any serious running, and I feel fitter (or at least more balanced) now than I did when I was running.

I still love reading about your workouts, whatever they are, and your recipes… so keep it up!

Alexis S.     at 8:57 am

There certainly does seem to be a mentality of “all good exercise must kill me dead” that is difficult to get over. For the longest time, walking just didn’t seem acceptable as exercise. But now I absolutely love it and would choose walking any day :).

Sara     at 9:11 am

Walking is a great form of exercise!

Julianna @ Julianna Bananna     at 9:13 am

loved this post!

have fun in Cincinnati!

Maria     at 9:21 am

I just weaned my daughter at 11 months, and I have to say that one very nice change is the ability to wake up and run! I would be too full in the morning/never knew when Gabby would wake up to nurse. It has been incredibly freeing. I loved nursing, but the end was rough because I had a biter and had an endless cycle of blisters/clogged ducts. Good for you for wanting to stick with it, but just a little window into your future training plans, you may be able to run before Casey leaves for work once you are done breastfeeding (if you are currently unable to do morning runs for the same reason, of course).

barefootgirl27     at 9:42 am

have fun!

I feel the need to tell you that over the years, you have been one of my inspirations to get me to start running…

I am *brand new* at it, but I’m finding that I hate it less and less:) I am running ( jogging/ walking) my first 5 k next weekend!

so thank you!

enjoy your family!

Michaela     at 10:03 am

So I’m pretty hardcore into athletics, but the other day I walked six miles in San Francisco (read: hills were involved). I was wearing boots with a pretty minor heel, which I’m not used to. I am sure that contributed. Still, the next day, I was incredibly sore. Point: walking is definitely great exercise, even if you’re really fit.

Can’t imagine how difficult walking would be with a kid strapped to me in some form or another…

Ali @ Peaches and Football     at 10:28 am

Have a great visit with your family. Looks like you have a solid and attainable running plan in place going forward and that’s the key to success in anything!

Mallory @ ifgravityhappens     at 11:15 am

Your outlook is inspiring! I am not able to run right now and I totally understand the love of goal setting (and reaching) as well as adjusting to new exercise instead. Be proud for staying active no matter what that activity is :)

Have a great time!

Pam     at 12:57 pm

I swear I don’t mean this in a creepy way, but you are just stunningly gorgeous. Seriously.

Janice P     at 3:11 pm

Oh how I understand about running in a hilly neighborhood. Our house is down in a “draw” so the start of my run is always up no matter which way I choose to go. And as we are at 7000 feet (in New Mexico) I can be out of breath before the first half mile…ugh. I live (run) for the downhills or at least some flats. Good luck with your running. You have a great attitude. And have fun this weekend with you family!

Presley @ Run Pretty     at 4:12 pm

Our neighborhood is nothing but hills. I haven’t even attempted running it since I had my son. WAY too nervous haha I should probably suck it up…

I love that y’all go hiking!

Joe @ The Frolicking Fells     at 4:43 pm

You’re lucky you can run with your dog. I tried to take my dog on a run and it didn’t go well for anyone involved. He was mad because he couldn’t stop and sniff every few feet and I was frustrated because I had to keep turning around to keep him from stopping. Needless to say, once was enough!

Rachel @ The Mallory Report     at 6:05 pm

I started walking a lot once I became pregnant, too, and I’ve been loving it! I enjoy it because I think it’s less stressful than running and I’m able to go on walks and catch up with friends at the same time. I’ve never been one of those girls who can run and talk at the same time :) I’m glad to hear that you’re getting back into running– short races are great!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama     at 6:37 pm

Walking is a great workout that anybody can do. It’s all about what you put into it. I think it’s equivalent to running if you’ve got a crabby kiddo in the stroller and 2 big dogs with you on the walk. Major cardio! :)

Katie     at 7:23 pm

Aw, have fun in Ohio! That’s where I’m from, so ALL of my family is there……I want to go back for Christmas – tickets are outrageously expensive!

And I feel your pain about the crying baby in the jogging stroller. I’ve taken Roman on a grand total of 5 runs, and only ONE he was content for. I’m not sure what made me keep trying, but hopefully someday he’ll get used to it!

Jun     at 11:08 pm

Glad you’re hanging strong! Like you, I enjoy spending time walking in the park and in the neighborhood. I do consider it as a relaxing form of exercise because it refreshes my mind and gets my blood flowing however more often than not, I find that I get bored easily and soon I’ll be heading back to home. I’m wondering if you can share with me any tips on how to make walking more fun & interesting? Thanks!

Kelli     at 7:49 am

Love that you are taking your dogs now! Thats a great fur mommy!

Lara     at 8:31 am

I do love walking in Seattle in this beautiful weather! One thing I am not looking forward to is getting through the winter and trying to get back in shape. We definitely need to buy a treadmill!

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie     at 9:51 am

I wish my puppies were bigger so I could take them on a jog! But they are like 10 pounds each and have teeny tiny little legs so that wouldn’t work so well. ;p I hope you have an awesome time with your family!

Britt @ Taking Orders from a Cookie     at 3:22 pm

I also am one to associate a workout with huffing breaths and pouring sweat but I am working on learning that that doesn’t always have to be the case. At least walking is more effective than doing nothing at all! :)
Have a great weekend!

Marissa@ohhhsolovely     at 5:07 pm

what a nice weekend! enjoy your trip…glad to hear your thoughts on running!

Brooke     at 7:31 pm

My dogs would freak out if I took one out without the other!! I love that you can do that!

elizabeth     at 8:06 pm

I found you via your love of strength training, and I am so glad I did–we have the same weight plates, though I have the 15lb bar. Regardless, it’s fantastic to see other home gym enthusiasts–I hate going to the gym, and we slowly built up our home gym with plates. I do have a question as why you are not doing barbell squats and shoulder presses, as those can feed into awesome circuits that can work everything with little time. Not judging, just curious.

Caitlin     at 9:13 am

I was thinking about this post yesterday while running. Living in Atlanta, unless you specifically search for a flat stretch to run, you’ll be running ridiculous hills. We recently moved and the first 2 miles of my new route are uphill and it’s killer and I hate it. Yet, I went on a group run recently that had very gradual hills and nothing too challenging (hills, wise) and people everywhere around me were complaining about them, and I didn’t even notice the gradual change in elevation. So while hills can totally blow and while I curse them as I’m running, they’ve made me SO much stronger.

brianne     at 10:05 am

I have been reading your blog for years and always get re-inspired. In the past year I have gone from being pregnant with twins, to breastfeeding, to being a stay at home mom so my exercise and eating habits have changed dramatically. Seeing you get motivated has helped put the bug back in me too! Thanks :)

brianne     at 10:07 am

My above comment didn’t properly attach my URL so I’ll add it here just in case anybody feels like taking a peek…I only started back to blogging yesterday haha.

Leah     at 7:49 am

Sharing the run with one dog at a time–dog swapping–love that idea!! Enjoy OH!

Angela     at 11:26 am

That’s great that you got a run in! I think it’s important to just keep moving, whatever your activity is.

Christine @ Reikalein     at 7:48 am

It can be strange to reassess your running goals when it’s been such a passionate energy outlet for you in the past, no?

I have been facing a reactivation of the EBV virus (think mono) for the last year, and it’s taken me this long to realise the running hasn’t been helping…

It sucks, but it’s time to find something I can be a beginner in again so I don’t overdo it all the time. Yoga it is! Maybe this means I’ll finally be able to touch my toes and get over that “sweating is a must” hurdle too.