For general inquires, contact: EmilyBMalone@gmail.com.

For partnerships, contact: dailygarnishads@mediakix.com.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

Weekend.

Another great family weekend – and the first that has felt like fall is finally here!  I spent all day Friday celebrating Cullen’s 11 month milestone – we played with friends in the park, took a loop around our favorite lake, and had fun playing in the new playroom.  (His new thing is hugging, and it KILLS me!)

IMG_20120921_161826

It was also the first day that has been cool enough to try out Cullen’s new puffy vest!  I couldn’t help myself.

Once Casey got home from work, we all took a rare trip to the grocery store together.  I usually try to do our shopping during the week, but this week was pretty busy.  It was SO much easier and faster to go together – Casey held Cullen while I zipped around and filled up our cart.  It is sad how much I enjoyed family Friday night grocery shopping.  We had our CSA bin delivered on Friday too, so our fridge is now PACKED with all sorts of amazing produce.  Now I just have to cook it all…

Once we got home we had to do Cullen’s dinner and bedtime routine, which meant that our dinner was getting pushed back pretty late.  I’d had this idea in my head all day long that I wanted to make a big pot of chili.  Even though it was already late, I got it started quickly, and by the time I came down after putting Cullen down to bed, it was ready!

I also did some baking…  But I will tell you more about both of those things tomorrow!

Chili, cornbread, good Friday night TV, and an old brown dog plopped on top of my lap.  A great start to our weekend.

IMG_20120921_203751

Saturday started out gloomy and drizzly, so we stayed in and did some house projects we had been putting off for a while.  We also took Cullen and the dogs for a 4 mile walk in our neighborhood.  We had a pretty low key day since we were getting ready for an exciting date night out!  Casey scored the last pair of his company’s tickets for this season – they are in the front row, directly next to the Mariners’ dugout – totally awesome.

IMG_20120922_184243

Garlic fries and veggie dogs for dinner – yum.  It was a great game (Mariners win!) but the best part was just getting to spend a night out with my favorite guy.  We try to do some sort of date night at least once a month – it’s not much, but it makes a big difference.

IMG_20120922_192113

The sun was out on Sunday, and we both were itching to get in some activity.  We headed to Greenlake for a family run.  Casey is considering training for another marathon, so he’s doing some pre-training right now to see if it feels right both physically and with our schedule.  He wanted to run 8 miles, and I wanted to run two laps (5.6 miles).

I did my first lap with the stroller and it SUCKED.  I felt like I had zero energy.  Not sure if I just chose the wrong breakfast (eggs) or if I was running too soon after breastfeeding (dehydrating) or what, but I felt like lead.  It didn’t help that Cullen was throwing toys and blankets out of the stroller every 30 seconds.

Since we run on a loop, Casey and I run in opposite directions so that we see each other twice as we go around.  After I finished the first lap, I happily passed the stroller off to him so I could run for a bit on my own.  I thought ditching the stroller would make a big difference, but I still just felt drained.  I ended up running another mile and then turning around to head back.  I knew Casey would be finished by then anyway.

Even though it was an ugly run, I was happy to have done it.  I have mostly been running in the 3-4 mile range recently, so I’m not sure why I thought I’d just go bang out 5.6 miles with no problem.  I finished 4.5 and collapsed in the grass.  It was ugly, but it was over.

IMG_20120923_132530

Casey ran his 8 miles (final 2.8 with the stroller) and then played with Cullen in the grass until I was done.  He is loving all the leaves that are falling!

IMG_20120923_132231

Post run treats at Flying Apron afterward.  This cinnamon roll was the size of my head, and honestly, too big.  I felt sick afterward.  Sugar overload, but still worth it.

IMG_20120923_135444

We walked around Fremont for a bit and checked out the farmer’s market.  Casey was still hungry so he got a big plate of Indian food, and we all sat on the canal steps and hung out in the sunshine for a bit.  The trail by the water is one of my favorite spots in Fremont, and I miss when Cullen and I would hang out there when he was a newborn.

IMG_20120923_145828

The rest of the day involved a long soak in the bathtub (amazing!), reading Runner’s World, playing with Cullen, and throwing together a quick burrito dinner.  Filled with sautéed mushrooms, peppers, zucchini, and black beans – topped with avocado, salsa, and lettuce.  Delicious.

IMG_20120923_193950

I got a horrible night’s sleep last night – Cullen was up four times for some reason.  Not sure what’s going on these past few nights, but he’s waking up screaming several times a night.  I hope he is okay, and that it passes quickly.  Going to go wake myself up with some fresh air!

purelymichelle     at 6:29 pm

that first picture…priceless. just made my heart melt!

luv what you do     at 6:43 pm

Your chili looks great!
I have been craving some too and made a big pot of veggie chili this weekend too!

Jennifer     at 7:40 pm

MOLARS!!?? Be ware, my son is the same age and he was sleeping like a champ, then his molars started coming in & he’d scream like crazy in the night!

Carrie Reply:

I agree with Jennifer – you are heading into molar time. My kids always started to show signs of molars before they turned one. I even had one go on a nursing strike because of it. Take a peek back there. Teeth are the worst!

Pam     at 11:22 pm

Haha, I also had chilli and cornbread on Friday, and I also started it a bit too late! So yummy and worth it though. I’ve been having the cornbread leftovers with poached eggs on top for breakfast, yum!

That sounds SO delicious! I have two slices left. Hmmmmm… :)

Maya     at 1:08 am

I posted this as a reply to your reply to my reply to someone else’s reply to another post (haha… following me here?) but you probably didn’t see it, so I’m going to be completely annoying and post it again. :) Are you sure you aren’t pregnant again?? That could explain the hungriness, tiredness, legs-feeling-like-lead-ness, period-less-ness, and milk supply issues… not to mention the happy glow. :) How funny if that were the cause of everything, after your worries about kid spacing? *Done being annoyingly nosy now*

Kat     at 5:19 am

Maybe he’s teething? That’s the only times that P wakes up in the middle of the night for no reason.
I need to get back into running – I’ve been slacking but with this beautiful fall weather I actually might get back into it

Debbi     at 8:24 am

He is probably having dreams and then wakes up and it’s dark and he has no parent to comfort him. Or those teeth are coming in.

Emily     at 9:05 am

I have been looking all over for slanted bowls, just like the ones your served your chili in! Where did you find them?!

Got them from the C&B outlet two years ago. Not much help – sorry!!

Rachel C     at 9:13 am

I can’t wait for the chili and cornbread recipes.

I also wanted to say that after reading your post about the Pig Sanctuary, I have researched and found a sanctuary near me, and I will be visiting soon. But prior to my visit, I have signed up to sponsor a Pig for the year. I just received my photo and information about her and I am so excited to visit all of the animals. Just wanted to say thanks for the inspiration. :)

This makes my day!!!!!

Emily Malone     at 10:49 am

Haha sorry I missed it – not avoiding. :) Nope, definitely not pregnant. Just a tired, breastfeeding mom. Milk supply is back up this week! Think it had to do with C’s cold and reduced nursing efficiency.

Maya Reply:

Ok, glad your milk supply is back! I’m hoping mine doesn’t go down after Yom Kippur… then again, my daughter weighs as much as most two-year-olds (about 28 pounds, younger than Cullen by one day!) so it might not be a bad thing. Hope you get some rest! :)

Katie@Real Food Katie's Way     at 11:42 am

Oh I love fall!!! These pictures capture it perfectly!

Your cornbread looks fantastic…I am making some this weekend as a trial run for Thanksgiving (which is next week for us Canadians!)

And also, your idea of date nights are VERY similar to my husbands and mine…it doesn’t matter what you do, just as long as we are spending quality time together!…and there must be good food ;)

Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More     at 12:06 pm

Think I need one of those cinnamon rolls. Like now!

alex     at 9:38 pm

I can’t wait for my little one to give hugs!! looks like you had a fun weekend playing around in your old neighborhood. I bet you miss Fremont, but it must be a treat to visit!

running shoes