Connecticut Celebrations.

Whew!  Remember me?  I think this is the longest stretch I’ve ever gone without even turning on my laptop – four days!  Casey and I had a really low key weekend, and I was hoping to do lots of cooking and writing.  I did end up working on a new stuffing recipe…

Which was delicious, but my photographs were so terrible.  I am a good cook, but a mediocre food photographer, and so I decided I would remake it and photograph it again the next day in better light.  Sunday morning, I woke up with body aches and chills, and my fourth round of mastitis.  We are in the midst of weaning, so I feared this might happen.  I spent most of the day glued to the couch, not packing for my upcoming trip, and definitely not remaking stuffing.

Luckily this bout with mastitis was more mild than my last, and I was able to rebound pretty well by the next morning.  Good thing, because we were up early for a long day of travel across the country.  We had all sorts of delays that almost made us miss our connecting flight, but we were blessed by a Thanksgiving miracle, and the second plane actually sat at the gate and waited for us (and a few other passengers in the same boat).  Totally amazing.  So here we are in Connecticut – many hours and miles later!

Cullen jumped onto Eastern time on our first day, which meant a painfully early wakeup time for mom.  We played for a while at the house, and then the cousins headed out for some fun at the playground.  Don’t they look pumped?

Luckily their spirits improved after they ran around for a bit.  It is always so fun to get to see my nephew – I can’t believe how much more he is talking since I saw him in September.

Cullen discovered the joys of going down the slide on his belly.  Best part was dad catching him and tossing him into the air at the end!

We hung out for a while at this great playground that is just a short walk from my sister’s house.  The best part?  NO MULCH!  Cullen is a mulch eater, so playgrounds can be a struggle.  This one had really soft turf-like flooring – great for wobbly toddlers.  We also took my sister’s gorgeous dog, Milo.  So pretty!

The boys are all sorts of adorable together – I can barely stand it.  They are the perfect age to finally interact and have fun together, and I know it will only get better from here.

Beyond the playground, the rest of the day was spent napping (babies), cooking (me and Casey), and just hanging out together at the house.

Many many months ago, way back in the summer, my sisters and I started talking about our Thanksgiving plans.  My mom is actually celebrating a BIG birthday (today!), and since her birthday happened to line up with Thanksgiving so well this year, we wanted to do something special for her.

My family will all be together again (in Seattle!) for Christmas, but we wanted to surprise her with a birthday week together as a family.  So we headed out a bit earlier than usual to help celebrate my mom’s big day.

While the babies slept, I hung streamers, made chili, baked cornbread, and texted my little sister constantly to find out when they would be here.  And after a veeeery long drive from Ohio, the rest of our family arrived ready to celebrate!

My mom is so amazing and adorable, and I am so happy to be able to celebrate this milestone birthday with her!  Happy Birthday, Mom!

I can’t believe Thanksgiving is two days away.  I was actually laughing re-reading some of my recipes from last year, realizing that I managed to cook and post so many more recipes with a four week old baby, than with a one year old.  Who keeps perpetuating the myth that the newborn days are so rough?  Toddlers are exhausting.

But many of you have asked what we will be cooking this year for Thanksgiving, and I’m sorry I didn’t do one of those big recipe review posts for you weeks ago.  I saw a lot of other good ones out there though, so I know there is no shortage of options.  For other last minute planners (like me!), here is a bit of what we’ll be eating this year…

Sourdough Stuffing with Fennel and Capers – one of my favorite recipes EVER.  This year I’m adding a few tablespoons of miso to the veggie broth, and also adding some lentils!

Butternut Squash and Cranberry Maple Millet – this is an oldie but a goodie, and a really great blend of flavors and textures.  Easy to make ahead of time too, so less cooking to do on the big day.

Vegan White Gravy – don’t know what type of potatoes we will eat this year (I’m winging it!), but we will most definitely be having this gravy.  My little sister remembers it from last year, and already lectured me on making sure I make enough to last through leftovers.

Cranberry Orange Brussels Sprouts with Walnuts – we just talked about this one last week!  I made it while Casey was out of town, so I ended up eating every serving myself.  I’m excited to make it again for family!

Vegan Pumpkin Pie & Coconut Whipped Cream – and last but not least – pie!  Many pies.  Want to make sure there are ample leftovers.

I’ll probably make a few additional dishes too – not recipes, just off the top of my head.  I’m thinking about honey-glazed whole-roasted carrots, another green dish (green beans, maybe?), cranberry sauce, and as a hearty protein – a variation on this quinoa lentil loaf.  We’ll see.  Flexibility is key this year, and rather than trying a lot of new things, I’m sticking with what has already been taste-tested and approved.  Casey and I are doing all the cooking, while Grandma and Aunties keep Cullen happy.

Tomorrow’s mission?  Grocery shopping for all our Thanksgiving ingredients.  Nothing like the last minute for an extra holiday challenge, right?  Safe travels to any of you headed out of town tomorrow.  I’ll be back to share our holiday spread!

Hillary     at 11:24 pm

That millet recipes has my tummy grumbling. Happy Thanksgiving Emily <3

Emily @ Life on Food     at 2:45 am

Hehe, I love how plump little kids look when all bundled up. Adorable!

Jane Plass     at 3:27 am

Your tried-and-true recipes look great. Enjoy your Thanksgiving and time with your family!

Erica     at 3:44 am

Happy Birthday, Mom!

Hilary @ PeanutButterSpoonfuls     at 3:57 am

Ugh, sorry you got Mastitis AGAIN! It’s amazing how awful it can make you feel.

That pic of the boys in their strollers had me dying laughing. Why does every kid look like a character in A Christmas Story in their winter coat?

As a mother of a reformed mulch eater here, I sympathize with your plight. Happy Thanksgiving!

Kristen @ Change of Pace     at 4:14 am

Beautiful pictures and a beautiful weekend. There’s nothing better than unplugging and spending time with family :)

Lindsay     at 4:15 am

The official name for that tasty mulch is “engineered wood fiber” and the reason it’s so popular is bc it costs tens of thousands of dollars less than rubber surfacing. Rubber surfacing on a standard playground can cost $40,000!! Crazy huh?!

From your expert playground builder :)

Shari     at 5:04 am

Happy Birthday to your mom!

Also: Milo is gorgeous!

Simply Life     at 5:08 am

Looks like such a great time with your family! Glad the travels went okay!

Lee     at 5:30 am

I never really thought about it before, but how many times do you usually make a recipe before you post the final version, whether that’s changing ingredients or just pictures? Just curious!

Have a great holiday and happy b-day to your mom.

Melissa     at 6:20 am

Your sister’s dog is lovely! She looks like the spitting image of a Duck Toller…. So either she is, or your sister just got lucky with a mix. Beautiful dog!

deva at deva by definition     at 6:35 am

So much adorableness and yumminess in one post! I hope you have a great holiday!!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers     at 6:40 am

Happy Birthday to your Mom! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

Melissa @ HerGreenLife     at 7:25 am

I hear you on the toddlers are exhausting thing, and it’s hard when something comes up out of the blue and you have less free time than expected!

Glad you’re with family now and have extra hands to help with Cullen.

My mom HATES Brussels sprouts, so I won’t be making them for Thanksgiving, but I definitely want to try this recipe. We might have some from our garden this year, but they’re late arriving.

Heather     at 7:40 am

That stuffing looks phenomenal! Good luck braving the grocery store, I’m going tonight and I feel like I might need to put on some armour ;-)

Leah     at 8:17 am

The weird thing is I usually start my day by reading your blog (and eating my breakfast at my work desk). I’d been out of the routine these past few days. Beautiful dog!

Enjoy your New England Thanksgiving. Nothing’s better…in my totally biased New Englander opinion!!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama     at 9:06 am

Your butternut squash/cranberry millet is on the menu for tomorrow. It’s a favorite of my twins!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Bethany @ Accidental Intentions     at 9:30 am

Happy belated birthday to your mom, and happy Thanksgiving to all of you! Looks like you’ll be eating good tomorrow!

How lucky that your plane stuck around for you! I’ve been in a similar delayed flight situation before and my (very small) plane definitely did NOT wait for me (even though 5 of the 30ish people that were going to be on the plane that didn’t wait were coming from the same delayed flight I was on… >:( Not cool, American Airlines).

Samantha     at 1:30 pm

Sorry to hear you are sick again!

I have made that brussels/cranberry once already. Holy moly. Yes, it would be easy to eat all alone. :)

Thank you for what you do. Have a great thanksgiving.

Lydia     at 4:27 pm

Good luck with your weaning! I’m in the same boat and eager to have my boobs back and reset the hormones.

Enjoy CT! We’re having great weather for you!

Happy birthday to your mom and HAPPY THANKSGIVING! :)

Sarah @ Kids Heart Real Food     at 6:53 pm

Ouch – sorry to hear about the mastitis! Luckily you recovered in time for Thanksgiving.

My son is a few months behind Cullen so I am looking at weaning soon. Will you be doing a post on the process??

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie     at 7:16 pm

Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you and your family enjoy all the delicious food! Are you anywhere near New Haven? That’s where my fiance is with his family this Thanksgiving (I’m home with mine and puppy sitting when my parents leave on a cruise the day after). ;p

Sylvana     at 2:43 am

Hi Emily
Regarding the gravy I was wondering what kind of flour you use? You haven’t really specified, Can you use whole spelt flour or buckwheat flour? Or even corn flour?

Stephen@HappyHeart     at 4:06 am

Your photographs are always amazing – they certainly make me want to cook up your recipes! Really have to make the butternut squash maple millet, I’m such a HUGE millet fan, don’t use it often enough!!! The brussels also look incredible! Hope your having an amazing Thanksgiving!

Anna @ On Anna's Plate     at 7:27 am

Hahaha…that picture of them in their strollers “ready to play” is hilarious! Happy tofurkey day!!

Julia     at 4:40 am

Ha! I love your comment about toddlers. I live in fear of when my youngest becomes mobile lol. Hope your thanksgiving was lovely.

Maryann     at 8:08 am

Your Mom and I share the same birthday!!!!!
I bet I’m older but not sure.
Maryann
Lancaster County PA GAL

Amelia     at 2:42 pm

Oh Emily, you poor thing! Mastitis is awful and you’ve suffered enough!! Hope this is the final time and that weaning goes smoothly for you.

Love that pic of the boys in strollers on their way to the park – that almost belongs in a funny family photo book. So cute.

Trin     at 5:06 pm

The newborn days ARE tough.

And exhausting.

KaraHadley     at 3:11 pm

Stuffing is by far one of my favorite foods and yours looks so good. I never would have thought to add miso to the vegetable broth, but I have a giant tub of it so it’ll definitely happen soon.

Megan     at 10:42 am

Looks like you had a great Thanksgiving!!! Your post made me look forward to next year when we will be celebrating with our little guy for the first time. :)

Kat     at 10:52 am