Election Day.

Happy Election Day!

I love the first Tuesday of November.  I know a lot of people can’t wait for all the political ads and signs to go away, but – no matter what side you’re on – I think it’s exciting to see enthusiasm and energy going toward our country’s future.

I remember voting in my first presidential election (2000) when I was in college.  A sophomore, I think, because I can picture my dorm room at the time.  I filled out an absentee ballot and I can specifically remember marking in the bubble to cast my vote for President.  I felt so important!  I’m fairly certain the evening was spent playing election coverage drinking games down the hall.

The 2008 election was also quite memorable.  Casey and I were actually on vacation in Mexico.  It felt so strange to be out of the country on such an important day, and I remember feeling very disconnected.  Before we left, I packed my VOTE shirt and a small campaign poster that I hung up on our balcony window.  We got a lot of waves and smiles from other vacationers.

download

I also had much better hair back then.  But anyway…

We went to the hotel cabana bar, naively assuming this was big enough news to be broadcast at the resort.  The bar was broadcasting rugby, so we headed back to our hotel room to watch election coverage.  We had no phones and no internet – just one channel on a tiny hotel room TV.

It was very exciting, and a little bit strange.  By the time we got home a few days later, I felt like something huge had happened, and we had missed the party.

This year, we are voting for the first time in Washington!  We mailed our ballots in a few weeks ago, so today has been a little anti-climactic.  In the past, I have voted in Ohio, North Carolina, and Virginia – all swing states!  But even though Washington is pretty much already decided for the presidential election, we have a few really important state issues on the ballot – gay marriage and legalization of marijuana.  I hope to wake up tomorrow in a place that is making history.  I’m on pins and needles waiting to see what happens!

Cullen is napping, and I’m cozied up in front of the fireplace with the dogs – wearing my VOTE shirt again, and waiting for Casey to get home so we can get our election party started.  Still not sure what to make for dinner.  Considering a large pot of soup!

mom     at 4:01 pm

I informed the precinct where I was voting today that you are no longer living in Ohio and are no longer Emily Holcombe, since they had you on their roster. The sweet little old lady who was checking me in seemed very confused by this information…as though, since it was on her sheet, the information had to be correct… :)

Thanks mom! Missed voting with you this year. :)

Sana     at 4:02 pm

For some reason, I feel like something major is going to happen tonight. It’s in the air!

Lindsay     at 4:06 pm

Love the shirt and sign :-)

Haha, I’m a dork! :)

Lindsay Reply:

Haha, me too. And that is why we are friends :)

Kerry     at 4:08 pm

As a woman who will always call Washington home, I am SO proud that Washington is voting for LOVE today! I am in Florida right now, and it is my first presidential election in this state. In Washington, I never felt my presidential vote really mattered. Often, the victory speeches would be under way before Washington votes were tallied. Now that I am in Florida, I feel the immense gravity and importance of my vote. It is always an honor that I am keenly aware of to be able to vote. But today, I am especially proud and thrilled to be a part of this process. Have a great night celebrating, waiting with anticipation, sharing food and love. Peace.

Coming from Ohio, I know how you feel! I am actually used to voting in a swing state, so this is my first time voting in a state that is pretty much already locked up. Regardless, I still like to do my part. :)

Kerry Reply:

Always have to do our part! It is such a privilege to vote! :)

Hannah     at 4:08 pm

I hope Washington is on the right side of history tonight!

Me too! I’m so excited!

Anna @ Blissfully Banana     at 4:10 pm

Happy Election Day! I was able to get up and vote before 9AM! Watching the results now, excited like a kid on Christmas Morning!

Julie     at 4:17 pm

Happy election day! It’s a big deal in our house, too. As a fellow Seattleite, it is easy to feel like our votes don’t really matter, but I am so proud of our blue-state status! Not only are we reliable electoral votes, but we could make history in marriage equality. I am so happy to live here.

Katie     at 4:24 pm

Thank you for sharing that picture of you holding the Obama poster. So many bloggers are afraid to show allegiance to any candidate, so I really respect you for going there.

Sure thing! I certainly don’t want to force my politics on others, but I’m also proud to stand behind my beliefs.

Emily Reply:

Agreed. Thumbs up.

Jen Reply:

I agree. Tt’s nice to see a blogger not afraid to stand up for what they believe it’s right. It’s not “forcing” — it’s just being true to yourself. I admire that!

Allie Reply:

I’m gonna agree here! So many bloggers will share very intimate details of their lives, but not who they vote for? Pssh, Love that you say it loud and proud! Gobama!

JV Reply:

Jenny

JV Reply:

Oops! ^

I’m also happy to see you puttin yourself out there. Sad to see it’s for the blue though, to be honest.

You are welcome to be honest here. :) Thanks for reading!

Good point, and I hadn’t thought of it like that. Funny, because I actually tend to hold back on a lot of the intimate details of our lives these days (protective parent instinct kicking in, I guess), but yesterday just felt too important not to mention.

Megan S Reply:

This is what I was going to say. You’re one of the only bloggers I read that did. We’ll be waiting to see what happens in your state for sure!

Megan Reply:

Here! Here! And you should be very proud of your home state this evening… Yea, Ohio! Yea, Obama! :)

Thanks Megan!

Elisabeth Reply:

Another Ohioan here – way to go for us & Obama!

Katie Jo     at 4:26 pm

Love this post! Hoping Washington makes history tonight!

Lee     at 4:28 pm

Four more years!

chris     at 4:32 pm

You won my respect tonight, Emily. I’m really impressed. :-)

Martha Reply:

Ditto. You go, girl (:

Leslie     at 4:37 pm

Happy voting day! I always feel so adult after I vote. I voted in early voting also. I was reflecting today on all the different states that I have cast my vote in the past. I have voted in many different cities and states. It’s amazing how different yet so similar the process has been in each area.
We will be watching the results tonight at our home in the Dallas/Fort Worth area of Texas. I made potato soup, kale and corn bread for dinner. Great post!

Carly @ Snack Therapy     at 4:40 pm

I can’t wait to watch the election results tonight! This was my first election at legal voting age- So fun!

Jen     at 4:42 pm

A Canadian here, cheering for Obama! As someone with a brother who went to Afghanistan, it matters to the rest of the world too. Your President influences the *world*. Here’s hoping Barack gets four more years.

Anna     at 4:44 pm

Love the poster and your shirt!

Allispin     at 4:54 pm

Aah I’m so nervous and excited. I currently live in CT but I am still registered in and vote in Maine (where I grew up). Maine is also having a referendum vote on gay marriage and I’m very nervous to see the results… A few years ago Maine voted on gay marriage and voted not to legalize it. Here’s hoping my fellow Mainers voted for equality this time around!

Leah Reply:

Although I don’t vote in Maine (my primary residence is MA) we pay taxes in Maine (built a home in Dixmont, ME) so I do pay attention to what is on the Maine ballots. I was so happy to see the vote on gay marriage went through!

Lindsay     at 4:55 pm

I live in Kansas so my voting is a bit anti-climatic as well…we always go red. My city is voting on an LGBT Anti-Discrimination ordinence which is exciting for such a conservative town. Hopefully tonight we will be saying 4 more years!! FORWARD!! :)

Britta Reply:

Who’s awesome? You’re awesome.

Melissa     at 5:05 pm

I just moved from Oregon to Wyoming, so I am kind of sad that I am missing out on some of the Oregon measures going on this year. It has been interesting moving from a blue state to a red state though, and also this is the first year that I actually went to the polls instead of doing the mail-in ballot.

Ingunn     at 5:10 pm

I’m so excited/nervous! We’re having people over to (hopefully) celebrate just like we did four years ago.

Here’s hoping WA votes for love!

Ingunn Reply:

(I can’t actually vote myself since I’m not a citizen. Hnngh!)

Mia (Savor Everyday) Reply:

Same here – been residing here for almost 10 years (FINALLY got my greencard!), but not a citizen. So I can’t vote! (even if I have been paying the same amount of taxes as everyone else, but… ok let me step off my soapbox now as this is not the appropriate forum for my griping).

Regardless, I still feel the same excitement! But I think, what is really amazing to see is people from all walks of life – regardless of age, gender, race/ethnicity, income level, etc etc… proudly exercising their right to vote and making their voices heard on issues that matter. That energy, in itself, is amazing.

Lisa     at 5:10 pm

Great post! I am proud of every person who gets out to vote. Being in Wi, I hope my state represents my beliefs as I know we’ve got a battleground state this year.

Kate     at 5:25 pm

Your comments (specifically about gay marriage) have me tearing up in my room- it’s so incredible to see people stand up for something they believe in, even when they know they might not get backlash from people. So I appreciate you standing up for my rights, even though you’ll never meet me :)

Absolutely! I can’t believe it’s something we are still fighting for. I hope that Cullen grows up and is shocked that I lived during a time where we had to fight for equality. Congrats on a few more steps in the right direction!

Lolly Reply:

I am flat out EMBARRASSED to live in a country that denies gay people their civil rights. that’s right…EMBARRASSED.
From the time were sons were little, and i do mean little, maybe 6 or 7, i started explaining to them…”mommy loves daddy and daddy loves mommy. mommy is a girl and daddy is a boy but sometimes girls grow up to love other girls and boys grow up to love other boys. there is no one right or wrong way to love another person.”
From there I started folding in race and religion. And here they are, now 23 and 20, and still there is inequality for gays. Hopefully, by the time your babies are in their 20s, things will have changed.

Leah Reply:

I hear you! Proud to be in the first state in the US to have both gay marriage and universal healthcare (the only state where every child has health insurance). Wooo!

Mia (Savor Everyday) Reply:

Lolly, I absolutely LOVE how you explained that to your kids – “there is no one right or wrong way to love another person.”

Madeline @ Food Fitness and Family     at 5:36 pm

I vote in Nevada which is up in the air tonight. I used to vote in Arizona which is always pretty much a lock and live in Georgia which is also a lock. Exciting to think my vote might actually matter this year :)

julia     at 5:36 pm

you still have great hair!

Emily @LivingLongfellow     at 5:46 pm

Yay for election day! Way to spread the message. Get out the VOTE!!! Something positive is in the air. Can’t wait!

Tammy     at 5:51 pm

Thanks for sharing this post! Your picture holding the Obama sign warms my heart… and your butternut squash black bean chili is about to warm the rest of me! :-) Happy Election Day! I hope I get to cheer on Washington State’s choices tonight!

Megan     at 5:51 pm

Coming from Ohio as well (yay Cincinnati) I know how you feel. I happily voted up here in New Hampshire today but I miss the feeling of having my say in an important swing state. Anyways, I’ll be watching the excitement tonight and it sounds like you are doing the same. :)

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates)     at 5:55 pm

Happy election! I kind of hate being on east coast time on occasions like this – always waiting around for you all in the west!! We made a big pot of chili and we’re camped out on the couch watching the results come in!

Kate     at 6:03 pm

Love this. Way to put it out there, Emily! Go Obama!

Susan     at 6:26 pm

What a cute shirt.. Where did you get it? I know it is at least 4 yrs old but there is always hope they still might make it.

It’s PINK by Victoria’s Secret.

Betsy     at 7:11 pm

Thank you for sharing your enthusiasm! Your blog is one of my very favorites, and that isn’t just because of your politics!

afarmerinthedell     at 7:35 pm

4 more years! Great post Emily.

Erica @ Coffee & Quinoa     at 8:20 pm

Love this! Other bloggers aren’t afraid to broadcast their religious beliefs, so you shouldn’t be afraid to make your politics known… I don’t think anyone had you pegged for a raging Republican anyway :) 4 more years!

Haha! :)

cavan Reply:

sad :( I love your blog, I cook like you do, care about my family like you do, eat healthy, volunteer, give to charity, and care about our environment -but I guess I am a “raging republican” meaning I didn’t vote for Obama. Not sure how funny it is- it’s “cool” to vote for Obama, but if you do your research and feel a different way you are “raging”

I think there has been a lot of misinterpretation here. To this specifically, I was laughing at her comment about Seattle, as it is often over-the-top liberal. I never said anything about Republicans, and I definitely don’t care about being “cool.” I am 31 years old – cool has long since passed me by. I think it’s great that we have different political views, and yet still have so many thing in common – cooking, family, environment, etc.!

Sarah Crosby     at 8:36 pm

Normally I love your posts but standing up for a man who has made our country go down the tube makes me sad. And gay marriage and legalization of marijuana? Our country was found on principle and more importantly Christian principle, have strayed far from what our founding fathers set our country up to be! Not trying to bash anyone just sad that we have come this far from the Truth.

Sarah Crosby Reply:

** we have strayed

Megan Baer Reply:

Please note in Emily’s comments that she does not want to force her political beliefs on others. She is simply sharing her personal history of the presidential election in a respectful, non-pointed way. Please follow Emily’s lead and don’t force your opinions either.

Above all, I’d assume that this blog’s followers are women who value a healthy lifestyle, fun, family and above all Emily’s openness. Please don’t attack her beliefs – she did not attack yours. Let’s focus on what brings us together as intelligent, thoughtful women.

Sarah Crosby Reply:

@magen baer 1st if I wanted your opinion I would follow your blog or email you personally and comment directly to you.

2nd why is one person sharing their opinion forcing and the other not? I am all for people sharing their opinions as long as they are open to hearing the other side. I’m not trying to argue why she is wrong or attack her, I just have to stand up for my beliefs also. The beliefs of what our country was founded on, Christian principle. If I wanted to attack Emily, I can think of a lot worse things to say. I’m not going to unfollow her because we disagree on politics or religion, but as she stands up for her beliefs publicly she knows people will disagree. No offense to her intended by anything I’ve said! Honestly!

Megan Baer Reply:

The nature of posting on a public blog inherently opens your comment to other’s response. If you did not want my response, then I would suggest in the future not to post it publicly. In doing so, you are inviting other’s opinions, and therefore mine. I appreciate you sharing yours opinion.

My reply was meant to suggest that less pointed and divisive comment could have been: “I don’t share your political beliefs and I am a supporter of Romney (or some other third party). However, I’m am glad to hear you are inspired by election day and exercising your right to vote. ”

I wish you well and hoping we can continue to share in respectful and kind ways, honoring our commonalities and respecting each other’s opinions. There’s so much more that brings us together as humans, than draws us apart in politics and differing opinions.

Take care, Sarah!

Megan Baer Reply:

ps – your blog is lovely and your son is so cute!

Thanks Sarah! I appreciate you reading, and that we can find common ground elsewhere. I have strong beliefs about a lot of things, but I would never want to force them on others – whether that’s politics, dietary choices, religion, etc. I hope you don’t decide to “think of a lot worse things to say” – yikes! I am always open to hearing the other side, which is why I never moderate comments here. Whether we agree or not, it’s great that we are both passionate and care about our country!

Sarah Crosby Reply:

I did not feel forced upon your words. Honestly just felt sad for our country is all. My passion may have come across a little strong in the heat of the moment. My apologies if I offended anyone! I still stand by what I believe but certainly everyone is entitled to their own beliefs… that’s what makes this country so great! Freedom.

And that comment about saying worse… came out WAY wrong. I DONT have bad things to say about you I meant it as if I wanted to bash I could come up with harsher tone and words. Does that make sense? Ugh writing can be so difficult to express feelings.

We both are passionate about our country that is for sure! :)

God Bless!

No worries at all, Sarah! Trust me, I know firsthand how writing can come across differently than we intend. :) On an unrelated note, I clicked over to your blog – your son is gorgeous!

Leah Reply:

Very well put!!!

Raia Reply:

YAY FOR THE GAYS AND YAY FOR TOKING POT.

julia Reply:

I like my freedom of religion in this country.

Audrey Reply:

I do too. I’m sad to see Obama working to end that freedom by imposing a mandate that forces people to go against their religious beliefs.

julia Reply:

Fortunately Obama is not forcing religious people to get abortions.

Audrey Reply:

You are right. What I was referring to was the HHS mandate that requires religious-run healthcare institutions–such as hospitals and clinics–to hand out abortifacients and contraceptives. The problem with this is that it violates the institutions’ beliefs, but if they refuse, they will lose their jobs. Understand that this isn’t as much about the drugs themselves as the fact that Obama is requiring healthcare providers to violate their consciences. Patients can get their contraceptives elsewhere if they really want. That’s not the issue. The fact is that no one has a right to require someone to go against what he/she believes. Religious freedom is a basic tenant that our country was founded on.

Martha Reply:

Hi Audrey-
I hope you don’t really think that the mandate requires the institutions to “hand out” birth control. People still need a prescription, and it is still a personal choice. In my opinion, this idea only approaches “requiring healthcare providers to violate their consciences” when we are forcing patients to take the birth control.

Everybody is free to follow their own religion, but it looks to me like this just makes it so that these institutions can’t force THEIR beliefs on their patients. If anything, it looks like it encourages religious freedom!

Audrey Reply:

But by this measure, which does violate the consciences of some health care providers by forcing them to participate in something they believe is evil. Because these institutions, that do tremendous amounts of good in many other areas, will not provide this one prescription, they would be forced to close or refuse to comply. In many cases these institutions are charities, and the many people they help would be out of options.

I heard an example that explains the conscience violation part a little better: imagine that the government required kosher Jewish delis to serve pork products. People could still go elsewhere if they wanted a sandwich, but it’s not right to force someone to provide something that goes against their religion. (This analogy doesn’t apply to me since I am vegan, but I would not wish to force someone to go against their conscience regardless.)

Martha Reply:

Your analogy is interesting, and I respect the arguments you’re making. From my understanding, the HHS mandate requires that private insurance providers cannot refuse to provide birth control on religious grounds.
For example, many of my friends go to a Catholic university down the street from my university. They could not get birth control covered under the university insurance, so they used alternative methods that are less effective. Unlike in the deli analogy, many people who want birth control but whose insurance plans don’t cover it can’t just go somewhere else to get it. Birth control that is very affordable (as low as $10-$30) with insurance is out of the question for many people without insurance (prices rise up to over $100 often).
I hope you don’t feel like I’m jumping down your throat, and if you don’t want to hear anything more about it that’s totally fine by me. As a former victim of sexual assault, a coordinator for Take Back the Night, and a volunteer and advocate for Planned Parenthood, I feel very strongly about women’s’ issues.

Amanda Reply:

Your comment that birth control without insurance is $100 is just a blatant lie. I am twenty years old and have catastrophe only health insurance. Which means I pay for everything out of pocket, including birth control. My birth control is $19.99 a month and 99.9% effective. It’s even a pill that minimizes side effects. The idea that birth control is monstrously expensive is absurd.

Amy Reply:

Sarah, I agree with you. I am so frustrated.

Kimberly Reply:

Sarah, I agree with you too. It is frustrating to see that people seem blind to what has happened the last 4 years with the economy, unemployment, gas prices, excessive government spending, obamacare and the administration cover-ups like Libya and Fast & Furious. It’s a shame.

Sarah Crosby Reply:

Thanks Kimberly! In my opinion (which seems to get me into some heat these days)… this election was more focused on social issues such as gay marriage, abortion, etc. than the economy, unemployment, etc. Even the liberals on TV were saying that Obama is going to have to change a lot of what he did (or failed to do) in the next four years.

I’m hoping that Obama stands by what he said and erases political lines and helps our economy instead of increase our debt more. I believe he has the tools to do it and am trusting in him as our president that he stands by his word this time around. Only time will tell.

Amy Reply:

Also, this:

Down the tubes…

Jillian Reply:

Kimberly, people are not inherently “blind” to the things you are talking about just because they couldn’t bring themselves to vote for Romney. Also, this is not a Christian country, so nobody should expect their religion to dictate what happens in our country.

Anne Reply:

Maybe it’s because I don’t live in USA, but here, people are really disturbed by the fact that Romney is mormon… the precepts of this religion are very very scary. Here, it’s consider a sect, so…

Jess Reply:

First I’ll add this about the debt:

Secondly, regardless of what side of the aisle you’re on, you have to admit that it is impossible to get anything done without working together. Working for four years on preventing the president being re-elected is not helpful to the country. That is exactly what John Bainard pledged when Obama took office.

Katie Reply:

Do you mean John Boehner?

Audrey Reply:

Me, too. :(

Christine Reply:

Comments like this depress me so much. If you don’t like gay marriage, don’t get married to a gay person. If you don’t like smoking marijuana, don’t smoke it. I really don’t understand how someone can be so against the happiness of others, especially if it doesn’t affect them directly. I’m not at all impressed by your intolerance under the guise of “…but the bible says!”. It may be your truth, but it certainly isn’t mine (MY truth is equality, understanding, love for everyone, being nonjudgmental… the list goes on).

Sarah Crosby Reply:

That’s funny you say it isn’t your truth and then proceed to say my Truth also. I am all for equality, not being judgmental, and loving everyone also. I am not for the unhappiness of anyone, quite the opposite. I only want people to experience the love and freedom that I have found through Christ! I am in no way claiming that I am perfect because am a Christian!! I’m quite terrible at times! But I’m so thankful for the forgiveness and grace I’ve found through Christ. Only because He died can i be forgiven.,. Lots ;) i just want everyone to experience that also! I surely didn’t think my comment would offend so many people. Not sure if that explains it better to you or not. Sorry for the first comment sounding that harsh to you!! Still figuring out writing my passions without being pushy or harsh!! Something Emily does pretty well around here– even if we don’t agree she isn’t pushy that’s for sure ;). Something I hope to learn!!

Maria Reply:

Sarah, As a second generation Cuban American woman living in Florida, I stand with you. My parents fled Cuba because of Socialism/Communism and a chance at a better life without being told by the government what they could and could not have. Bigger government and reliance on the government is not the answer. I feel that America voted on social issues solely and not the big picture. For me the economy was number one issue, higher unemployment, record high dependance on welfare, increasing deficit and of course Obamacare. I can appreciate everyone having their own belief and surely hope he can turn this economical boat in the right direction but it will take a lot a work from both sides!

April Reply:

This country was NOT founded on Christianity. This country was founded on religous freedoms among other things. It is not okay to try and legislate Christian values onto the entire population.

Sarah Crosby Reply:

You are right. I never said it was founded on Christianity; I said Christian principle. Research our founding fathers and you will see what I mean. I am NOT for forced religion. I can not expect everyone to believe in God and His Word- I would be niaive to think that. but I do think we have strayed from what the founding fathers set up our nation to be. Obviously, because some are fighting to change the way it was. Some change is good but I see no positive change coming from killing innocent babies. I just can’t support ANYONE who believes that’s ok. And aside from my biblical beliefs, my sister was adopted- if her birth mom would have aborted her; I would not have her here today.

Wow, as a rare commenter I’m blowing this place up!! Sorry Emily!! ;) I’m going to make your vegan chewy chocolate chip cookies (YUM!!!!) and go back to being a close to silent reader.

K     at 9:43 pm

I’m also really glad to see you broadcast your political leanings! I’m in Canada, and as someone said, we are so do glad for 4 more years of Obama! Marriage equality is already a go-go here, and here’s hoping that you guys aren’t far behind!!

Christopher     at 10:25 pm

chiming in as a reader glad to see your political leanings expressed freely. i disagree with them (but like the ballot initiative results!), but it’s nice to see people unafraid to express their thoughts. a good thing about america.

Totally agree, Chris! Thanks for reading. :)

Stephanie     at 11:18 pm

Love this post, the ideas expressed within, and the end result. :) I respect bloggers who are forthcoming about things that are important to them, and elections are a big part of our lives. And so is delicious food! Thank you for posting.

Peta     at 11:45 pm

A cheer went up at my workplace in Melbourne, Australia when Obama got over the line!

Army Amy*     at 1:52 am

I really love your shirt! I agree that the right to vote is so important. It made me so happy all day long to watch my facebook and twitter feeds fill up with people sharing the fact that they voted and encouraging others to do so. I still can’t believe that so many people don’t vote. It’s a shame!*

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama     at 2:35 am

I had a mini panic attack when I went to vote yesterday. As I pulled into the parking lot there were no spots available and the line was out the door. I had my 2 year old twins with me who were not dressed to stand out in 30 degree temps for even a half hour. So I decided that was not a good time but when was I going to get there? Later in afternoon, after their nap, I bundled them up and walked the couple of miles to the polls pulling them in their wagon. The line was much better and they were excited to get out and VOTE too!

Good for you, mama! Showing your kids how important it is, no matter the circumstance.

Anne     at 3:51 am

Very happy to read that post today. Thanks for sharing and to support progressive values.

Ali     at 3:54 am

I’m also from Cincinnati and have been living overseas for the past 5 years (absentee ballot!). I love being from a swing state because I feel my vote has some weight but this one was terribly nerve-wracking.

I also like that you’ve put your political beliefs out there. It’s terribly unfortunate that one person left such a rude comment.

Washington did us proud tonight too! Hopefully gay marriage will be an issue of the past soon. :)

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed     at 5:17 am

I hope in the generations to come, gay marriage debates will be a distant memory. One day people will look back and think “Once upon a time gay marriage wasn’t allowed? That’s weird.”

Thanks for sharing your views and yay OBAMA!

Totally agree!

krista     at 6:36 am

We are so blessed to be able to vote! And I absolutely love knowing that if I were not able, my wonderful state of Texas would still have the right vote.

Audrey     at 6:53 am

I’m glad you shared your political leanings, but I cannot say that I agree with them. I have a hard time voting for a man who has no problem having innocent children in the womb be tortuously killed. As a mother, I’m sure you understand that.

Teva Reply:

Obama does not promote abortion, and I seriously doubt he has “no problem having innocent children in the womb be torturously killed.” He advocates for a woman’s right to choose. It is the freedom of choice he stands for. Imagine being pregnant and being forced to have an abortion – how would you feel? The same way a woman who was raped would feel being forced to carry an unwanted child, I imagine.

p.s. When the ozone layer is a doily and everyone has skin cancer and the planet is uninhabitable, which seems to be the path Republicans want to take, bringing a child into the world would be cruel. As a mother, I hope you understand that. And appreciate the irony.

Audrey Reply:

Hi, Teva. I hope you are right about Obama caring about unborn babies. Unfortunately, his record so far shows otherwise. Life is the most basic of human rights, and it is a fact accepted by the scientific community that life begins at conception. When one considers a mother’s decision to choose to kill her child, what about the child’s choice? I agree with you that rape is a horrible crime, and I also believe that we should not punish the child for the crime of his/her father.

I am not registered with any political party, nor do I identify with any. Just because I believe in the right to life, does not mean that I don’t also care about other issues. I do believe that there is a hierarchy in issues–life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. But I also believe in protecting our beautiful and fragile planet. Environmental and animal issues are one of the main factors of why I am vegan. I hope that we can make this world even a more beautiful place for our children and our children’s children.

Blessings!
~Audrey

Jess Reply:

Actually the scientific community has come to no agreement as to when life begins.

Audrey Reply:

I doubt this will change your mind, but it provide some food for thought: http://prolifephysicians.org/lifebegins.htm

Jen Reply:

Audrey, I couldn’t have said it better.

Teva, President and Mrs. Obama both support late term abortion, which IS torture. If a mother is raped, she should have her abortion done during the first trimester. Look up how late term abortions are done, and then say if you think it’s ok. Obama even went as far as voting against a bill that would protect a baby surviving abortion, a bill that would force doctors to give that baby medical care. People need to really know who they vote for. This is the one reason I couldn’t vote for Obama. Your ozone argument is ridiculous.

Jillian Reply:

It’s important to remember that other people’s bodies and choices are their own business, not yours or the governments- nobody will ever have control over women that way, no matter how much they may want to, or how much they claim it to be out of “love”.

Nell Reply:

I find it surprising that there is still so much debate about this, especially given America is meant to be the land of ‘freedom’. As has already been said, each woman is entitled to make her own choices regarding her body and her future. I see a lot of people around who are ‘pro life’ and I wonder whether so many people would care for the lives of living, breathing, functional women if abortion was made illegal and we saw a rise in back-yard abortions again?

Jen Reply:

I tiptoe the line of pro-life, pro-choice. There is a time and a place. My argument is ONLY against partial birth abortions, which Obama supports. If the freedom to have an abortion is taken away, womens health would suffer, no argument. But there is NEVER a reason for a baby to be 3/4 delivered only to have scissors jabbed into the back of their head. Deliver the baby and let it pass on. Even our pets are euthanized in a humane way, why not unwanted babies?

CJ Reply:

Jen could you provide a source for your claim that Obama supports partial birth abortions? I’ve never heard anything of the sort.

Lisa Reply:

I find the suggestion that unwanted babies be euthanized absolutely horrifying. That’s murder. Period. More here: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0812/80013.html.

Amy Reply:

Thank you, Audrey and Jen. There is NEVER a right time to kill a baby. NEVER.

Mia (Savor Everyday) Reply:

I don’t get into many political discussions, but this has certainly been interesting. The pro-life/pro-choice issue is a delicate one, to say the least. I think, however, that pro-life means upholding the dignity of ALL life, not just unborn babies. It means caring for human beings by creating policy that supports prenatal care, postnatal care (especially for mothers “at-risk” – not too fond of that term, but for lack of a better one I’ll use it as it is the widely used term in the education and social work fields), as well as health care, education, early intervention and special education services, habilitative/ rehabilitative services, etc for the living, no matter the age. Pro-life, to me, means everything we do that promotes the dignity of people regardless of age, ability/disability, sexual orientation, religion, race, and income level. Whether that’s through our vote, our writing to representatives to influence legislation, or doing acts of charity or advocacy or volunteering or whatever.

I am not a citizen and thus unable to vote. But I would like to see policy that supports life in the broadest sense of the term. To talk about pro-life in the sense of the abortion/anti-abortion debate, in the absence of policy or action supporting all other forms of being pro-life, can sometimes be reduced to empty sloganizing to me. Not saying that’s what went on in the discussion here, but just in general.

Emily, I understand that your post was an honest communication of how you exercised your right to vote… Which becomes all the more important in a world in which women in some other countries do not have equal rights.

Thank you for the opportunity to comment here. (And I apologize for the terribly lengthy comment.)

Lesley T. Reply:

Well said, Teva!

Leah Reply:

On the flip side I have a friend who is in his mid 30s. His beautiful daughter was born earlier this year. Due to having cancer twice the chemo made him sterile. He made plans for the future (just in case) and his daughter is here on this earth due to planning ahead and invitro fertilization. Also, the second time around with cancer it was a stem cell treatment that saved his life (at Dana Farber in Boston). No matter your political beliefs (I voted for Obama, but my husband is a Republican and comes from a long line of Republicans)you have to admit that having a president in office that wanted to outlaw things like stem cell research and invitro fertilization…think of the families that have been saved and even created to begin with (using my example of one of my best friends). I was so scared what having Romney/Ryan in office would mean. As my friend put it “what would I tell my daughter?” So it’s not a Republican in office that would spell trouble for this Nation (I don’t think that obviously being part of a Republican family) it’s the two examples I gave that would be just terrible for some of the families that I know.

Audrey Reply:

I’m so glad that your friend is okay and that he is enjoying his daughter. The issue of invitro fertilization and stem cell research is a tricky one. I’ll admit that I don’t know a lot of facts about either. But what it all comes down to, for me, is that life is not expendable, and it is not something to be created and destroyed at whim. I disagree with creating a bunch of lives, just to take the one you need and then killing the others, which is what usually happens in those procedures. I am a big proponent of adult stem cell research, though (not embryonic), and it has shown real promise in providing viable and curative treatments. Also, I’m not saying that I am a big fan of Romney, either. I don’t agree with him on everything. For me it was a case of voting for the lesser of two evils.

Blessings!

Leah Reply:

Thank you first and foremost for your thoughtful reply. :) I was glad to see that because I was thinking “oh no, she’s going to reply in an angry way.”

You have to stand up for what you believe in and that is number 1. Just given the people in my own life there’s no way I could ever vote for someone that is against the things that saved that loved one (for me) or gave them a family (in the case of friends and neighbors). My Mom also had a really tough battle with cancer.

In any case just make sure to know every sides of all the issues before voting for anything (even in small town elections). That’s what I was worried about with our election that just ended.

I will say that when Bush I and Bush II were in office the world did look at us differently as a nation (I used to work with people that are from all over the world). When Obama was elected for the first time it was amazing to go to work the next day and have these colleagues be so proud, so inspired, and so just amazed at us as a Nation. I’d like to see more of that. We’re in a global economy and it does matter how we work with the rest of the world. I used to work in High Tech too so I’ve seen a lot of jobs go to India and China (that’s a whole other issue). When you are surrounded by people from other countries it helps you to see the world differently.

Audrey Reply:

Hi, Leah. I can get impassioned by this stuff sometimes, because they are things that I care deeply about. I think it’s important how the world views us, yes, but I also think that there are basic rights that are more important. For me, it’s on a hierarchical scale. Sort of like Maslow’s hierarchy or needs, if you’ve ever heard of that. At the bottom of the pyramid are the most basic of human rights–life, security, freedom, etc. I try to vote with those in mind first.

But it sounds like we can agree to disagree. I believe kindness is always most important! I hope that my comments convey that, and that no one feels that I am attacking them personally.

Leah Reply:

Really good idea to think of Maslow’s hierarchy of needs. Oddly enough I had not thought about that in a VERY long time (during undergrad in the 90s). :)

I will say that in the end universal health care (the plan that Romney developed in my own state of MA) is actually a good thing. The reason is because in my state (the only state in the US that has it) we are now in a better spot financially compared to before the plan was put in place. This helped us during the recession in a big way (we held up pretty well in terms of job creation, housing, state budgets overall). I know that the universal healthcare was a huge topic during this most recent election…but I’ve seen it do some great things. We have 0 children without health insurance (the only state that can say this) and my friends with small businesses can finally afford health insurance for their workers. So, like no system, nothing is perfect but it works well for us.

One thing to walk away from in this election is that both Romney and Ryan did not win their own home states. When Romney was my state’s governor he did a lot of bad things. In my own family my Dad and brother (both work for the state) were denied raises and back pay for a VERY long time.

The election worked out the way it did but we have a lot of work to do as a Nation as as whole. I know we were not talking about how Romney did as a Governor or how Universal healthcare benefited Romney’s own state (the plan he helped create, and later dissed during the campaign). However, I felt that it was good to get some facts out there from someone that lived through a time when Romney was the ‘ruler’ of the land.

Yes, we can agree to disagree and in the most civil of manners.

Jen Reply:

CJ, I’m embarrassed to admit, before this election, I didn’t know Obama’s stance on abortion. I did vote for him in 2008 for the reason that Sarah Palin annoyed me. Now, a few years older and wiser, it’s really starting to hit home that as a voter, I really need to know who it is I’m voting for. So I googled Obama’s views on abortion. Of course, as you know, everything you read online is true..ahem…

Anyway, joking aside, this is just one of many links that came up from my search. There are many more from pro-life websites, but this is the one from Yahoo Answers, so probably a bit more neutral. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081007214501AA97STv

I love that everyone is being so nice despite being on different sides of the fence. I hope my comments didn’t come off in a negative manner. I just know, myself, I was not aware that the Obama’s supported such extreem abortions. Just wanted to put a voice out there for the innocent victims. I do have one more link to a woman who surrvived a botched abortion. She does reference God, just as a warning to anyone who would be offended. She has an amazing story to tell. (I hope this link works.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPF1FhCMPuQ

deva at deva by definition     at 7:23 am

I love your shirt and your poster. I am so glad that this morning I woke up to LOVE and equality and another four years of President Barack Obama.

Whitney     at 7:36 am

I do commend you on not being afraid to speak freely on politics. It is very annoying that other bloggers are so PC all the time. Personally, my faith is in God and not government! :)

Thanks Whitney! Freedom to believe in whatever we choose is such a powerful thing. :)

alana @ the food     at 8:35 am

i’m overly impressed that you put your beliefs out there for all of us to read about! i appreciate your passion!

and don’t listen to the haters bashing your beliefs! them contradicting you is hypocritical, as they are doing the same thing you are, just in a less tactful and more mean-spirited way!

so thankful as a canadian that OBAMA is back!

No worries, we all get an opinion! : ) Thanks!

Julie     at 8:46 am

I couldn’t find anything online yet whether same-sex marriage passed in WA, but fingers crossed! I live in IA where it was passed by our Supreme Court in 2009. I was EXTREMELY proud! Unfortunately, when 3 of the 7 judges who unanimously passed the decision came up for re-election that next year, they were all voted out of office. :( 1 more was up for re-election yesterday, & he was reinstated. Yay! Progress! I’m not gay, by the way; just strongly believe everyone should get to experience the same rights & freedoms (especially where love is concerned). I’m proud of you for your post, Emily. :)

They haven’t finalized the votes yet, but votes in favor are leading so far. Fingers crossed!

Liz     at 9:07 am

WAIT! You’re a vegetarian living in Seattle and you’re a liberal?!?? (*insert sarcasm here*)

All jokes aside, glad to see one blogger come out on political beliefs. I happen to agree with yours but even if I didn’t I’m glad you expressed your beliefs in a calm, unobtrusive way.

Haha!

char eats greens     at 9:32 am

I think my hair looked much better a few years ago too. I wish I could go back, grab my head, and tell myself to appreciate it haha

Seriously! I also had a nice glowing tan from laying at the beach in Mexico. These days I look like a Seattle ghost! :)

Katie     at 9:48 am

Oh what a happy day! Thank you America. And thank you Emily for putting your views out there. I appreciate bloggers that share the things that are important to them, and you did it in a very respectful manner.

Sure thing! Thanks Katie!

Louise     at 11:11 am

Yay! One of the people I celebrated with last night was my cousin, who’s also one of my closest friends. He married his partner in NY, but we live in Georgia. When the news announced Obama had been re-elected, he started to cry and said that no one could take his marriage away from him now. I will never forget last night because of that.

Tiffany     at 12:49 pm

Can we also just add the historic number of women voted into office…and the first openly gay woman!

Woo-hoo!

Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie     at 4:06 pm

Way to share your political beliefs online! I’m a big Obama supporter and wanted so badly to be able to talk about it on FB and Twitter but I was too worried about upsetting loved ones who don’t agree with me. Instead I took the passive route and liked statuses and responded to tweets I wanted to say. :D

Danielle Smith     at 4:48 pm

I think the fact that you have turned your “healthy eating blog” into a political sandstorm is sad….and to have a small child and state that you are all for smoking pot when you have some issues with alcohol use is ridiculous. I have been following your blog for a long time….sad to say that I will NEVER LOG ON again…:( will miss your yummy recipes:(

TC Reply:

BYE!

Oh wow! I certainly had no intention of creating a political sandstorm. I honestly am surprised that there has been such a reaction to one photo. It’s not like I went on and on about my specific beliefs. It’s too bad that politics can drive such a wedge between people, especially when our common ground is so totally unrelated to these issues. I definitely never said I was “all for smoking pot” – I don’t smoke pot myself, and didn’t actually comment on how I voted on that issue. I appreciate you reading for so long, and am sorry to see you go!

Leah Reply:

Wow. You missed the entire point of this post. My state just legalized marijuana but only for medical applications (I live in MA).

If you’ve been a longtime reader of this blog you would know that Emily lives a life to be admired. A healthy, balanced life where family is VERY important.

Nice way to make a quick judgement call.

Lesley T. Reply:

In what world is one relevant, benign post about Election Day a “political sandstorm”? Holy hyperbole!

And it must be difficult for you to read blogs at all since I can assure you that many popular mainstream bloggers are not politically aligned with you.

I can’t even begin to understand your logic here, Danielle, nor do I think I want to.

Teresa     at 5:33 pm

I don’t believe that Emily said anything about being “all for smoking pot”. I think one can be in favor of legalization of marijuana even if they’ve never touched the stuff just like someone can choose not to drink alcohol without prohibiting it’s use for anyone else!

Nina Reply:

As someone who has never smoked pot I can testify to being someone who wants it legalized. Don’t recall seeing Emily say that anywhere, though. Danielle probably just was angry and needed someone to yell at, we all get like that sometimes.

CHazard     at 5:53 pm

Thank you Sara Crosby..my thoughts exactly!

Maria     at 7:55 pm

oh goodness! I’m sure you knew what you were getting yourself into when you pressed enter. Hopefully, you have developed a tough blogger shell by now! I personally agree with you and am happy you came out of the Obama closet! :-)

Emily @ www.main-eats.com     at 4:47 am

Election day is always my favorite too! I’m such a poli sci nerd/junkie! Glad you share that, too!!!

Gabby     at 6:05 am

I love that you stand by your principles on this blog, and respect you even more for expressing your political beliefs on here. I am even more impressed at the restraint you’ve shown responding to some of the comments on here! I really would not be able to hold my tongue.

Four more years! :)

Ali     at 7:09 am

Did you see this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQZxF_roWyk It’s a video of the moment that Minnesota United for All Families learns that they won. As they were telling everyone it was too close to call and to go to bed and get some rest, the results come through. I dare you to watch without tearing up :)

Catherine Reply:

Loved that video :) :)

Katie D.     at 7:26 am

Thanks for posting your stance in such a great way!

But I do want to point out that even Republicans can be vegetarian/vegans and support same-sex marriage :)

Oh absolutely! I think there has been a lot of misinterpretation and assumptions here. The views of other comments do not necessarily reflect mine.

Jen     at 8:40 am

Emily, while I can’t say I’m as happy with the outcome of the election, at the same time, I appreciate the freedom we have to vote. And I’m sorry about the above comment saying you went overboard. I sure don’t think you did. I guess you can’t please everyone. :)

Martha     at 9:11 am

Hi Emily!
I’ve actually been a fond reader of your blog for a good two years but never commented. Your family is beautiful and I’m so jealous of your healthy, active, fun life (though I know it’s not all parks and hikes when you have a baby)! More than that, I really enjoy your cheerful, mature, and respectful way of writing on this blog. It is really easy to come off as judgmental or superior when you announce your choices to others, especially if it’s something like not drinking alcohol or not eating meat. You approach these issues really well- respectfully, but not so delicately that you are afraid to voice your opinion. You hit a great balance.

Obviously, people react really strongly to politics. I think a much better place (if there even is an appropriate place for this) to harshly criticize others’ opinions is in the comment sections of online newspapers or political forums online. Not the comment section of a very kind young blogger’s post that mentioned that she voted Obama. I’m very sorry to see that some readers reacted so negatively to this post. You did a great job telling people your choices without pushing your beliefs on others in any way at all. Some gross assumptions were made, but I think we can all agree that this post does not make our sweet Emily a pot-smoking, baby-killing, economy-hating liberal extremist who is telling all readers to believe the things she believes.

This was a teriffic post, and you responded to all of the comments made with really impressive grace, understanding, and, again, respect. I loved your recipes and baby pictures, but I appreciate your blog on a slightly deeper level now. Keep it up (:

Thanks so much, Martha! This means a lot! :)

Julie (A Case of the Runs)     at 10:19 am

Geez, for one little photo, you sure did get a lot of backlash. Are those others not aware that over 50% of this country supports Obama? Are they going to shun over 50% of the country? By best friend and my husband (in three days) voted the other way from me, so what?!

You don’t need people like THAT reading your blog.

Julie (A Case of the Runs) Reply:

*My best friend

Sorry, the irritation over reading these comments led to not proofreading.

Meagan     at 2:18 pm

I’m glad to see that you were not afraid to share who you were voting for. While our political beliefs may differ, I was happy to see that one of the bloggers in my Reader was open and honest. Happy post-Election Day!

She Ran.She Worked.She Conquered.     at 2:18 pm

Hi Emily!

I’m in Alexandria for work and was wondering if you had any dinner suggestions? I’m having my Dad and Step Mom drive out from DC so i’d love to take them to a delicious restaraunt (they have pretty classic/traditional pallets), do any quality places come to mind?

Thanks!
Molly

I really love Fontaine creperie (the Zenist crepe is my favorite!). It’s tucked down a little side street, and is really quaint and delicious. A hidden gem. :) There is also an AMAZING Italian place on S. Washington St. Don’t know the name off the top of my head, but it’s somewhere between Columbus and Prince. Hope you have a nice dinner!

Karlee     at 5:16 pm

I just wanted to say I’m sorry some people reacted so harshly to this post and I respect your openness. It is your blog and you aren’t forcing others to read. I hope you continue to express your opinions despite the reactions of some!

Alyssa     at 10:11 am

God, I cried so many happy tears this week. So happy we have him for four more years.

Helen     at 11:43 am

I just wanted to say that it’s impressive that you’re allowing this political conversation to happen on your blog, even though people don’t agree with you. Nowadays, it seems that every comment section of many popular blogs is a sterile environment, only allowing, “you go girl!” to pass through. Thank you for realizing that healthy conversation only stimulates blog readers and encourages them to participate in your world.

Thanks Helen! I so agree about healthy conversation. I learn so much from my readers! Providing a safe spot for commentary (from all viewpoints) is really important to me.

Lindsay     at 2:06 pm

I’m really proud of you for expressing your political beliefs on your blog. I’m not sure why they think that everyone has to believe what they believe, but there will always be those people. Hopefully, they can take a cue from Romney and put the country ahead of all their hostility.

Thanks Lindsay! :)

Maureen     at 7:13 pm

Well it’s your blog and you have a right to say whatever you want.People can read or not.I have so enjoyed you for a long time and would have preferred to never have known for sure your political affiliation.There are so many other places for these thoughts and discussions,politics is such an emotional topic and I just feel this somehow has changed your blog.For whatever its worth..

I’m sorry Maureen. I can understand if it has somehow changed your impression of me, but I assure you it hasn’t changed the blog. I’m surprised by the reaction here, since I really said very little. It was just a photo. There is so much more I could have said, and yet I DO intend for this to remain an open space where everyone feels welcome. I appreciate you reading for so long!

Lesley T.     at 1:58 am

I’m really saddened that people twisted this positive post about Election Day into something ugly and negative, and I’m truly horrified by the anti-choice rhetoric in these comments.

On a happier note, I liked this post a lot and am ecstatic that more social rights have been granted or protected instead of hindered or take away. I am proud to be a liberal American!

Lesley T. Reply:

“Take away” should read “taken away.”

Anna S.     at 4:49 am

Yay Washington and gay marriage!!

I really appreciated this post Emily. I think for other bloggers who put their entire lives out there to say Go out and Vote but don’t mention who they are voting for is very fake. I wouldn’t stop reading a blog if they voted a different way than me, and posting a picture with a shirt and a sign is hardly trying to convert people. I assume 47.9% of the country voted another way than me.

Anyway love your blog, and I wanted to show more support on this post.

Karen     at 7:41 am

Good for you, sticking up for your beliefs. I’ve read through all those attacking comments and I think you’ve responded to them very well. I hope someday these religious crazies realize that the majority does not want a theocracy.

side note: I would not have stopped reading your blog if you had posted a Romney sign. But dems are a more reasonable breed IMHO.

Dominique     at 8:01 pm

Wow. Being Canadian, I just cannot believe the reaction of one little picture. I cannot imagine not talking to someone or stop reading a blog because the person voted Liberal or NDP or Conservative. Who cares? And I cannot understand that religion and and politics go hand in hand. They should NEVER be mixed together. Who you voted for should not change the relationship you have with your friends, or your coworkers, or your favorite bloggers. Maybe it’s a naive Canadian way of thinking…